Forum Settings
Forums

What makes you decide to buy a manga rather than read it online or free?

New
Feb 1, 2013 9:28 PM

Apr 2012
So far I've only really bought the ongoing manga of shows that I liked, but ended. Well, two of them. I didn't like the Berserk anime, but I really like the comic.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 1, 2013 9:30 PM
May 2012
Whether there are stores or not around me.

I usually end up downloading manga.
Feb 1, 2013 9:35 PM

Nov 2012
I like to have all my books in hard copy form, be it manga or an actual novel. That way I can grab it head off somewhere and read it under a tree, at the beach or when I’m camping.
Feb 1, 2013 10:05 PM

May 2012
Easy, I end up reading a manga I like online and finish it. Soon I find out that it's available in bookstores and I want to collect it.

"If the king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?" - Lelouch Vi Brittania
Feb 2, 2013 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
The volumes are much clearer and easier to read, some scans look like crap
Feb 2, 2013 3:02 PM

Aug 2010
If i really like a manga, i would buy the volumes instead of reading it online(Rosario Vampire) mainly because I like holding a print manga and reading than off my computer screen.
Feb 2, 2013 3:21 PM
Jun 2009
I don't read that much manga, but I prefer buying it, as it gives me a proper incentive to read it.
If I download it for free, then it just seems to sit there on my computer untouched for months.
Feb 2, 2013 3:30 PM

Jun 2012
I own all 107 volumes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure... And it hasn't been released in english.

Apart from that, I only buy manga with breathtaking art, and fast paced story, so most shounen is cut out of that, despite the fact I'm a huge shounen junkie...

I'd say anything by Tsutomu Nihei is worth a buy
Feb 2, 2013 4:51 PM

Aug 2008
Because what's online is a small and often inferior sampling of a much bigger whole?
Feb 2, 2013 5:37 PM

Jan 2013
I'll usually get into a series by reading/completing it online, and then buying it after if I really enjoyed it. Like at the moment I'm collecting the FMA manga because I loved it so much, and I'm planning on buying Ouran as well.
It's harder for me to find and get into a new manga then it is with a new anime, and I would rather buy a series that I KNOW I'll love instead of just one that looks interesting. I live in Canada and a single volume can be as low as $15-ish. Which is pretty expensive to me. (´Д`)
Feb 2, 2013 6:22 PM

Oct 2012
If its been published in English then ill probably buy it. I do have some Japanese manga, but still.

Feb 3, 2013 1:16 AM

Jul 2008
there no manga stor in my country so my only option is amazon or download
99% of my manga is download
the only manga i buy is black jack books that i can't find to download
it cost me more to shiping thin buy them
i bay 200% of the price i don't think ill buy manga any time soon (DVD shiping far cheeper)

if there same app like Comixology for manga ill buy manga
Feb 3, 2013 2:06 AM

Aug 2012
When the manga is released in english, Luckily, I'm near to a mall that has a section that sells manga.
Feb 3, 2013 2:46 AM

Jun 2010
generally, I buy everything that has been released in hard copy and even if I already read the scanlation, I would still buy it, just so I can put it in my shelf. :)
Feb 3, 2013 9:23 AM

Apr 2012
fckyeahanimes said:
generally, I buy everything that has been released in hard copy and even if I already read the scanlation, I would still buy it, just so I can put it in my shelf. :)

It's cool to see a lot of manga on your shelf. Also, great username by the way.
Feb 3, 2013 9:28 AM

Sep 2012
I buy all the manga that I read, light novels too. I read it all in Japanese as well.

Buying supports the authors. Reading for free is extremely disrespectful. I don't see how you can claim to be a fan when you do not support them. Buy it and support them even if you need to read translations because much is not licensed, sadly. Give them all the sales they deserve!!!!
Feb 3, 2013 9:41 AM

Mar 2010
Well, I always bought some hardcopy of manga that I though was good when I read the scanlation. I also take recommendation from friends since some manga doesn't have any or slow scanlation, like Natsu no Arashi.

I always prefer read book, reading manga in computer hurts my eyes sometimes. Especially novel, I can't sand reading novel on tablet like many people do nowadays, that's why I would never bought any e-book.
Feb 3, 2013 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
As hpulley said above, buying supports the Artist.
In my case it's a little more difficult, because I mostly read Doujinshi, the artists that make these are usually not very famous, but whenever I read something that I really enjoyed, I usually buy it, even though those are only available in Japanese.
And well I can't read Japanese, but still having the Doujinshi/Manga you enjoyed reading so much not only as some pictures on your laptop, is in my opinion worth spending a little more money.
Feb 4, 2013 3:33 PM

Jan 2013
In the past, when I hadn't quite gotten into anime, I'd go to Chapters and flip through a bunch. If there was one I liked a lot I''d start buying them one by one (once finished reading I'd buy the next the next time I was at Chapters). Of course back then I was a horny, confused 13 yo and the only thing that caught my attention was nudity (of the female gender [yeah, not that kind of confused]) so I went for .hack// legend of the twilight, and Elemental Gelade. Then I realized how much more they cost compared to anime and my money hasn't touched manga since.

The ones I didn't buy were endless ones like the big three (though I only actually read Naruto) or ones that weren't available in Canada yet.
Feb 4, 2013 6:11 PM

Mar 2009
I like having physical books. That said, I'll often rent from the library first, best of both worlds, I get a physical copy to check out for free!

I generally only read things online with no license (or that didn't come out completely in English, like Immortal Rain). I dislike having the scroll up and down the page, I don't have a dedicated reader or a tablet, so a physical copy is best for me.
Feb 5, 2013 9:43 AM
Feb 2012
Because of the sensation of owning it; of holding the work of a talented mangaka in my own hands.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 5, 2013 9:59 AM

Feb 2013
I read all my manga online - if I like the manga and start wanting to read more instead of feeling like I'm just reading it, then I go downtown and buy a volume or two.

If it's not released as physical copy yet (either in Japanese or English, locally), then I just keep reading it online and pay for it when and if it comes out and if I remember.

If it never comes out locally then I try and support the series as best I can whilst continuing to read online - I buy some shirts (if any official ones are out), or anime DVDs / BDs (again, if any official ones are out), and so on.
Feb 5, 2013 2:17 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
A whim and if I have a lot of money to spend.
Feb 5, 2013 2:33 PM

Feb 2013
I buy all mine. I like to support the writers :)
Feb 5, 2013 5:28 PM

Sep 2011
Well I buy some of the ones I really like - I own the complete set of Death Note, Mars, Apothecarious Argentum, Perfect Girl Evolution, Vampire Knight, Saver, Full Metal Alchemist etc plus a bunch of others. I actually own more anime than manga although I read way more than I watch. I will also sometimes buy ones for the art. I have an enormous library of regular books though, like 4000 not counting manga. So yes I do read online but I still buy quite a bit. I actually like reading them online cause I have a large screen on my computer, but I like to watch anime on a large projector screen, so we have our own home theater. But yes I think it's important to buy some of your favorites. But I prefer to buy a bunch of volumes at once like a complete set rather than one at a time since they are so hard to find here and the usually don't have the volumes I want or am missing.
inzarathaFeb 5, 2013 5:32 PM
Feb 8, 2013 3:22 PM

Jan 2013
Until now I've read all my manga online, but for some series I'm really considering buying the books. They would be nice to show to my children later on. Only problem is, I haven't found any nearby store selling manga yet :(
Feb 8, 2013 3:49 PM

Jan 2013
Smeithan said:
Until now I've read all my manga online, but for some series I'm really considering buying the books. They would be nice to show to my children later on. Only problem is, I haven't found any nearby store selling manga yet :(

Me too, I'm a huge fan of Higurashi, and I do plan to get my own manga.

But that's why we have online market. Amazon, Ebay and etc.

The feeling of owning something with high sentimental value, and the feeling of accomplishment of a fan is pretty good. And who knows, I can even show to my friends or even other people who is interested in Higurashi or Manga.

Feb 8, 2013 9:06 PM

Jan 2010
I usually read online first, if I like it I may buy the physical. Or if its a short collection of some josei with 2 or 3 chapters...
Feb 9, 2013 2:31 PM

Feb 2013
It's better to flick than click I always say. ^^
Just the fact I actually have it and own it is a nice feeling. Plus, computer screens can hurt my eyes if I sit there reading off one for ages.
Das ist was sie gesagt! <--- Sorry, that joke is really over done >.<
Feb 9, 2013 3:46 PM

Jan 2013
Because I'm a masochist and I love papercuts >_< lol

No, I love the real thing the tiny books that can be taken everywhere. The knowledge that you have your fave story with you feels save. I love that when you want to look something up you earlier read you have a sense where in the manga it was instead of clicking hoping to find it. I like flicking pages. And i like that it doesnt have a backlight wich is more soothing on the eye.
Feb 11, 2013 5:21 PM

Apr 2012
DelarosaX said:
It's better to flick than click I always say. ^^
Just the fact I actually have it and own it is a nice feeling. Plus, computer screens can hurt my eyes if I sit there reading off one for ages.

this, and availability
Feb 11, 2013 6:42 PM

Oct 2010
If it's available in print and in English, I will buy it. If it's not, and looks like it never will be, I will read it online, but that is very rare. I don't really like reading manga on the computer but sometimes there will be a series that really catches my attention and I will read it online.
Feb 12, 2013 4:50 PM

Jun 2008
I rarely purchase manga without having read it online first. I hate saying that because the manga print industry needs as much help as it can get, but the practical side of me (as well as my clutter-free nature) won't allow me to buy something I don't know if I'll like. Especially given the steep prices of manga nowadays at 10-13 bucks a pop. Ten bucks for shoujo and 10-13 bucks for yaoi. I'll download and read it first, and if I like it enough, I'll shell out the money for it. I mean paperbacks cost 7.99 and the more expensive trade paperbacks cost 10-13 bucks. I always feel ripped off paying mass trade paperback prices, so you can guess how I feel about paying that much for manga.

With that being said, I'm a pretty loyal fan if a series grabs my interest (though I'm picky). I tend to buy more yaoi just because I feel like it's an industry that needs more of my support than shoujo. A lot of the shoujo that's being printed right now is junk to me anyway.

And like many others, I much prefer print. I've had an obsession with books since childhood. There's something to be said about being able to physically hold it in your hands, smelling the pages and flipping through it. I love having a book shelf and displaying what I read because it says a lot about me and my interests.
Feb 12, 2013 4:55 PM

Jun 2012
There are two, and only two, reasons for me buying manga.

1. In order to support an author that I like, because I value his/her works, and/or I am a big fan of the work itself.

2. Scanlations are incredibly slow and are behind published English volumes. This would apply to works that I am enjoying quite a bit and not willing to wait for.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 12, 2013 5:04 PM

Jun 2008
Holybaptiser said:
There are two, and only two, reasons for me buying manga.

1. In order to support an author that I like, because I value his/her works, and/or I am a big fan of the work itself.

2. Scanlations are incredibly slow and are behind published English volumes. This would apply to works that I am enjoying quite a bit and not willing to wait for.

I tend to do number one myself, but only for big time favorite manga-kas like Ai Yazawa. Even then, I won't get sucked into buying a long series that I'm not particularly fond of. Short series, probably.

As for number 2, lol, I wish I had that problem. I don't know of a single manga that I follow/read where print is ahead of scanlations. Usually if it's popular enough to be in print, then it's popular enough to have enough fan girls competing to keep up with translations in Japan. But my experience is severely limited to shoujo and boy's love. I have no clue if occurs regularly with seinen or shonen titles.
Feb 12, 2013 5:55 PM

Jun 2012
Lint said:
As for number 2, lol, I wish I had that problem. I don't know of a single manga that I follow/read where print is ahead of scanlations. Usually if it's popular enough to be in print, then it's popular enough to have enough fan girls competing to keep up with translations in Japan. But my experience is severely limited to shoujo and boy's love. I have no clue if occurs regularly with seinen or shonen titles.
First thing that comes to mind is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. The manga is no longer being scanlated, whereas Yen Press is publishing the volumes in English. Sure, they have the last volume release date set as April 2014, but it's not like it'll get completely scanlated by that point.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 12, 2013 6:20 PM
Feb 2013
The thing that makes me really, really, REALLY buy a manga is either if the art is amazing, like berserk or vagabond, or if I reread them all the time.

I can't spend two months without rereading black cat or ares, and I can't spend two months without admiring Inoue or Miura's work, and usually the best way to do so is to buy them.

Oh and to sometimes support the artists.
Feb 13, 2013 2:51 PM

Dec 2012
A couple of things make me buy it, first off I grew up reading printed manga, it wasn't even until Naruto and Gaara's first fight at the Chuunin exams were hitting America for the first time that I found out about scanlations and reading it online to get caught up. So the idea of printed material just feels more natural. And then there's the idea that if I do read something online, and I like it enough, I want to own it so I can read it again whenever I want and take it wherever I want, there's no WiFi requirement or Data fee.
And finally I love manga so much that I want to support the industry legally and purchase the official items so that manga can continue to be created and distributed.
Heck I found out about Bakuman's existence at chapter 8 of the series and I read it every week it was released online up until it ended after what I think was a 3-year run, and I'm still buying the series as it comes out in American printed copy so that I can own it because I loved that series so much.

I'm not opposed to reading stuff online, I still read some manga online, andanyone who does anything digitally reads something through a screen, but there's just something about print media that can never be truly beaten in my heart.
"Live a good life, leave behind a legacy to be proud of."

I review anime! (via TrashMutant.com): Aldnoah.Zero: http://tinyurl.com/ly6oyr6; Sword Art Online: http://tinyurl.com/mzpks8t; Patema Inverted: http://tinyurl.com/kphmu7t

I also now review manga! (via Bagandbored.net): Chirality - To the Promised Land: http://tinyurl.com/mvblbuo
Feb 13, 2013 3:02 PM

Jun 2007
The same thing that makes me buy books instead of buying a kindle. I like reading physical copies, I don't like reading shit online, it's not the same. Sadly, that feeling is going to go away with more recent generations.
Feb 13, 2013 8:46 PM

Aug 2011
I'm still a student with no means to buy manga at the moment, but I do have a huge "plan to buy" list.

Most of the series on that list are manga with really good art and a story that resonates with me. Or, just series I've heard are really good and aren't overwhelmingly expensive to own.
Feb 14, 2013 2:53 AM

Jan 2008
I like reading physical books rather than on a screen. I also like to support the artists I like so they can keep making more manga. Lastly, a shelf full of books is much nicer to look at than an external hard drive full of downloaded files. I try to only read scans of things I can't buy in English, or to sample a series before I buy it.
Feb 14, 2013 3:23 AM

Nov 2012
Nope watch manga on my smartphone for free of course. maybe when i got a stable job i support the industry but for now smartphone works for me.
Feb 14, 2013 3:42 AM

Feb 2013
If it really hits me that I really enjoy the story line and it makes me happy while reading/watching it (and of course want it to continue), then that's when I'll support them.

Like Johny said though, money is an issue still which is one of the reasons why I don't really buy that often but usually wait and purchase them over time.

If it's something that I just like then hello mangafox.
Feb 17, 2013 3:10 PM

Feb 2013
I'd buy them if it's my favorite manga, it's like watching your favorite artist performing on stage via your computer but you want the posters on your artist. Okay, that was a weird thought .3.

But I'm not even near a store selling manga books .-.
Yo.
Feb 17, 2013 6:10 PM

Jun 2008
AyooCookie said:
I'd buy them if it's my favorite manga, it's like watching your favorite artist performing on stage via your computer but you want the posters on your artist. Okay, that was a weird thought .3.

But I'm not even near a store selling manga books .-.

You can purchase from the internet. I haven't bought manga from a real book store in ages because I can usually get a better deal from online book stores. I find that most of the manga that's on bookshelves have been perused and sometimes mishandled by the kids that read and don't buy. Much rather get it brand new from the warehouse and it even saves me the trouble of having to get off my lazy butt XD

How do people read on their smart phones by the way? I find it difficult even reading on my e-reader much less attempt it on that tiny tiny smart phone screen.
Feb 17, 2013 7:40 PM

Aug 2012
No reason. I'm a broke ass student with no means to afford such a luxury.[/thread]

...All jokes aside, if money isn't the issue, then the number one reason is quality. Online readers are an instant "no," and the translation and editing jobs done by supposed fans suck ass 50% of the time.

The number two reason is that you like the series and want to support it.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Feb 18, 2013 2:26 AM

Jan 2011
I'm a student as well but I do have some Berserk and Eden volumes on my bookshelf and I plan to add a couple more when I get a job and more money as after I bought a car I haven't been able to spend money as freely as much as before :/

Oh and I just wanna support my fav manga and read them in more comfortable way rather than on the internet ;)
Feb 19, 2013 7:27 PM

Feb 2013
I’ve never bought a manga before reading it online although a friend bought me one after seeing reviews for it. After enjoying that manga a lot, i would go out and buy another manga without reading it online initially.

I’m likely to buy manga’s that ive read online because of its art like Vagabond.
Feb 20, 2013 10:45 PM

Jun 2012
If the manga I read is something I really enjoyed or if it is by a favourite mangaka, I will buy it! I see reading online as a way of "previewing" manga, such as, if I find something that I really really like I will try to buy it.
Now watching:
Magi
Psycho Pass

attending: Anime Revolution 2013
Feb 24, 2013 9:16 AM

Jan 2012
It's the indescribable feelings of holding a physical book, smelling its paper, and flipping through its pages. I can't get all that from digitized manga. Besides, my eyes get tired faster reading on a screen than reading an actual book.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1043 by sondongpyo »»
54 minutes ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

18 by Chuckiemuffin »»
7 hours ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - 10 hours ago

0 by codelyok13 »»
10 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Apr 17, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.