MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why I hate it when fans boast they know intelligent anime.
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Why I hate it when fans boast they know intelligent anime.

Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
01-31-13, 5:00 AM

BVM,

OK guys, sorry for the rant here but is it me or is anyone else here bothered by anime fans who look down upon others and have a hateful attitude towards fans of 'lesser' anime? Case in point, I noticed this fad when I started seeing Monster and Cowboy Bebop. Almost every video about these anime on you tube had someone trying to 'call non-fans out' because they regarded something like Naruto, One Piece or Bleach as the greatest anime ever instead of Monster or Bebop. I couldn't stand this snobbery 1, because I myself don't like Bebop (as seen by my review on it) and didn't appreciate being called immature or infantile because of that and 2, I myself experienced bullying from people who debated topics of a more serious kind than anime and I found the same sense of disdain and arrogance in them that these 'smart anime' fans had.

Now let me make it clear: if you love anime most people would deem smart like Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, etc... fine, I totally respect you for that. Hell, Paranioa Agent and Monster are in my top ten most favorite anime and manga ever (Rurouni Kenshin and Berserk being my top 2). It's just that I'm having a real hard time getting into an anime or manga when you have rabid fan boys either putting out the most absurd and unjustified criticisms for it or being all snob about being more intelligent than people who don't like it.

Now not menaing to sound like the biggest hypocrite in the world but I used to be like this; I would troll videos of mainstream anime like One Piece or Naruto and tell the commenter why it isn't the greatest anime ever and why they should watch smarter anime like Elfen Lied, Higurashi, Baccano, etc... but I found that the people there were really nice and would reply in a snarky but dignified manner (one of them told me "I feel sorry for you dude". Priceless!) and I felt bad for mouthing off against them so I decided to stop trolling altogether, especially since I haven't seen either One Piece or Naruto.

This also counts of course to people who show disdain towards others because they love these more mainstream titles. Someone actually said that One Piece is better than this manga I won't mention. Everyone asked him why. He said 'because, it's obvious'. It's not a good image of the fan community and it won't appeal non-fans to it either especially since I did hear One Piece focuses alot on morality.

There is a huge diffirence between not liking or not being interested in an anime or manga and showing disdain towards the fans. There is also a diffirence between stating the reasons you did like it and giving valid criticism and invalid criticism. Someone said that Sankarea sucked because it contaiend fanservice and was all about incest. I pointed out the fact that the incest in Sankarea was treated as SEXUAL ABUSE and the fact that you can't criticize something because of the fanservice when you yourself love fanservice heavy anime like Bakemonogatari. It's hypocrital beyond belief.

Worse still if you regard yourself as the big fat god of all anime knowledge and pretend that people should listen to your opinions as they're seemingly always right. One person told me that he compares anime like SwordArt Online to works like Twilight just to make people 'think'. I told him no, you can't do that as SAO is far from being as bad as Twilight and that you're not the sole arbiter of all things anime. He immediately shut up after that.

Point is, if you love an anime that is smart and diffirent from the mainstream, good for you. In fact, I love these anime and want to be given reasons to watch them. However, putting me or others down is not a good way to do so and neither is being a hypocrite a good image. So what do you guiys think? Sorry for the rant I just had to get it out of my system.
The will to live is strong, stronger than anything else.

01-31-13, 6:07 AM

No. My opinion is, No.

01-31-13, 6:09 AM

Complaining about the fans doesn't make you any better.

01-31-13, 6:25 AM

The solution? ignore them, don't bother with them, they merely want your attention that's why they over exaggerate and react, fans want you to know how good/suckish one anime is and there is no such thing as "the best anime" save for biased opinions

There are just too many genres and in the end its all down to personal preferences, you can give your opinions on an anime but the line is drawn when you are forcing another person to watch/ignore that show

01-31-13, 6:45 AM
Anime Moderator
Now that you've got that off your chest, my dear boy, do the sensible thing and watch more anime instead of wasting precious time thinking about others who you don't care much about, don't feed or shelter you or just doesn't make your day. Live a little. Show those people that regardless of their opinion, YOU are the boss of what you like - never them.

Now cheer up and remember that it's better to watch anime than to dwell on this matter.

01-31-13, 6:52 AM

I stopped caring about things like that a long time ago, there will always be people to hate every single thing on this earth, and you cannot stop it. Just enjoy the animu.

01-31-13, 7:07 AM

I stopped reading when you mentioned youtube comments being the origin for your rage.
Seriously, who reads those AND gets angry about them?
Check out our Simul Watch CLUB and join if you're interested!

Ratohnhaketon said:
I can hear the anti-SOL purists gathering outside with their plotforks.

The mind is a terrible thing to waste,
I show love 'cause it's a terrible thing to hate.

01-31-13, 7:30 AM

This flowchart answers all your questions;

Eigi man ek þá lǫg jómsvikinga ef ek kviði við bana eða mæla ek æðruorð. Eitt sinn skal hverr deyja

01-31-13, 7:46 AM

Inb4 Baman's gloriously elitist LOGH acknowledgement... oh wait.

Akito_Kinomoto said:
Complaining about the fans doesn't make you any better.

It does in MAL's logic. The "worst fandoms" thread has over 700 replies.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

01-31-13, 7:51 AM

Baman said:

That sums it up

01-31-13, 8:01 AM

Baman said:

LOL seeing this chart reminds me of this one:

K-ON is objectively better than Legend of the Galactic Heroes

OnT:
I don't care even if they bash my favorite shows. I just ignore them. If that's their opinion then so be it. You can't please everyone.

01-31-13, 8:08 AM

Except LoGH sucked ass.
"I will close my eyes and let the darkness be the light that guides me through the path of chaos"

Call me the Jelly Factory. I'm the world's largest producer of jelly.

01-31-13, 8:33 AM

dude don't even sweat it. you are so angry that it festered into a massive rant. I can almost hear you get more and more pissed off.
Assholes are everywhere - don't let it ruin your enjoyment.

01-31-13, 8:35 AM

tl;dr

In all seriousness, why worry about it?
Modified by UNINSTALL, 01-31-13, 8:38 AM

01-31-13, 11:02 AM

you just mad that I'm more intelligent than you, and because of that my taste in anime and mango is more refined. It's okay if you can't understand the deep intricate plot of the anime I watch, I mean, it's okay because it wasn't meant for normal "average" intelligence people like you in the first place. So don't feel too bad, champ.
Modified by iCameSwagYOLO420, 01-31-13, 11:09 AM
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod

01-31-13, 11:05 AM

iCameSwagYOLO420 said:
you just mad that I'm more intelligent than you, and because of that my taste in anime and mango is more refined

Yeah.

Oh damn, I should be studying.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

01-31-13, 12:32 PM

I can agree to an extent, but there's no reason for you to care what these people think. Fanboys generally will do anything to try to explain why their favourite series are "the best", even if that means insulting the intelligence of those that don't like their favourites as much as they do.

Personally my favourites are simply the series I got the most enjoyment out of and if people don't like it, that's their problem.

01-31-13, 12:46 PM

I think people should understand that calling out "shit tastes" is actually fallacious. Actually, it can be proven to be a mental illness if you want to exaggerate.

Claiming "absolute objectivity" in "art/entertainment" (anime) is biased by default. (I'm looking at somebody we all know on Anime Discussions)

And that arguments about tastes go nowhere.

Calling /thread.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.

01-31-13, 3:13 PM

It's not worth getting angry over fanboys. In the end, they will probably keep their opinions and you will keep yours. Even if you manage to change one fanboy, there are countless others out there.
Fate/stay night (2014) | UBW | HF

01-31-13, 3:15 PM

Stopped reading when I saw that you said that Elfen Lied and Higurashi were more smart than One Piece.
krazyboy said:

FUCK ALL ANIME, SPONGEBOB OVER ALL

RRRRRRRRRR

Pages (10) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices