Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 30, 2013 9:35 PM

Apr 2012
I can't be the only one getting a little sick of this, but notice how the art styles used for anime characters spanning hundreds of shows looks almost exactly the same every single time with slight variations and different clothes?

I'm talking about stuff like this:
where you could take out the character and put him in a hundred completely different shows and you wouldn't even be able to tell anything was off. It seems studio's don't realize that anime just means "animated in Japan" and think it actually means a specific art style. Maybe it's just me but I'm getting kind of sick of this shit, there aren't enough anime with distinct art styles for characters that make them somewhat unique (examples being stuff like Panty and Stocking, the count of monte cristo to a degree, Cybersix (yes, by definition it actually was an anime), ext...)

Anyway, what are your opinions on this seeming "template," do you like it? Do you think it's overused? (Also don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's something fundamentally wrong with it, just that's it's used way too fucking much)
mdude009Jan 30, 2013 10:05 PM
Jan 30, 2013 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
Best way not to deal with that is to watch a huge variety of anime spanning across different times, different genres, and different studios.
Jan 30, 2013 9:39 PM

Oct 2012
There are countless others who feel the same here at MAL (do recall some thread about art and similar points were brought up).
For me, maybe due to my small list, I feel rather indifferent about the matter. Yes, it does spark some interest in me when I find unique character designs, but overall, all I really care about is the personality of the characters and story they help develop...art's not really a distraction from my overall enjoyment.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 30, 2013 10:30 PM

Mar 2012
It's the same as bald space marines in games. Just because Shepard has no hair doesn't mean he's a bad character.
Jan 30, 2013 10:34 PM

Apr 2012
SquadmemberRitsu said:
It's the same as bald space marines in games. Just because Shepard has no hair doesn't mean he's a bad character.

I never said the art style makes the characters bad, just that it's an overused art style when the industry allows for any art style the animation team could possibly think of.

Also Shepard wasn't built like a refrigerator with shotguns for nipples.
Jan 30, 2013 10:35 PM

Nov 2010
They should stop making characters that the normal teenage boy can relate to. It's horrible business.
Jan 30, 2013 10:41 PM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
They should stop making characters that the normal teenage boy can relate to. It's horrible business.

Agreed. We need some retirement home slice of life's, in desperate need for some moe/tsundere grandmas and their corresponding ecchi harems.
Jan 30, 2013 10:58 PM

Nov 2010
nil- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Agreed. We need some retirement home slice of life's, in desperate need for some moe/tsundere grandmas and their corresponding ecchi harems.
Take out the ecchi, and I would watch that. The main character needs to be a mean old guy who surprisingly is extremely nice, he just doesn't show it well.
Jan 30, 2013 11:03 PM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
nil- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Take out the ecchi, and I would watch that. The main character needs to be a mean old guy who surprisingly is extremely nice, he just doesn't show it well.

I think this discussion might spawn the premise for the greatest anime ever made... Next to Inferno Cop of course.
Jan 31, 2013 7:04 AM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
nil- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I'd also watch that.
Our space is unlimited.
My download speed is not. :(
Jan 31, 2013 7:05 AM
Feb 2012
I don't think there's really anything you all can do about it...

I don't mind that art style at all, in fact I'm sort of used to it o;
Jan 31, 2013 7:06 AM

Aug 2011
Are you also gonna complain having Harrison Ford and Christopher Lee in every single Hollywood movie as the template for every single character?
kek
Jan 31, 2013 7:19 AM

Sep 2012
SekiraX said:
IntroverTurtle said:
nil- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I'd also watch that.

So would I.

In any case, the picture you posted seems like the template for a specific type of character: a teenage boy. Which is fine, as that's the target audience for most anime. And while I do like a lot of these shows, my preferences, for the most part, lie elsewhere.
Jan 31, 2013 7:26 AM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
nil- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

No, no, it needs to be about cute grandmothers doing cute grandmother things.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jan 31, 2013 8:22 AM

Nov 2010
rederoin said:
IntroverTurtle said:
nil- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

No, no, it needs to be about cute grandmothers doing cute grandmother things.
I could see that too, maybe with a sort of (I don't want to say naughty because that's weird, but you know what I mean) where they might pull pranks, and are very frank with people. Telling random girls on the street "You look like a hooker", grandmas, they do that.
Jan 31, 2013 8:32 AM

Apr 2011
So this thread has gone from character templates to cute grandmothers doing cute things? MAL never ceases to amuse me.

OT; there are plenty of anime where the characters look different. Eg; Psycho-Pass, Robotics;Note, Steins;Gate (NOTE; the original artwork S;G and R;N was done by the same company), Harem Time (yes, I just included a hentai in a comparison), etc.
Jan 31, 2013 10:31 AM

Feb 2012
There are specific frames and "settings" that are used over and over for each genre. Best way to avoid over noticing it would be to mix up your genre.
Jan 31, 2013 10:40 AM

Jun 2008
Just like similar stories are told over and over again, the same works with art form. It's cheap, it doesn't take a lot of work, and it still is watched and sold.

KyoAni is the obv suspect with the same facial characteristics that can be cropped with different hairstyles for different anime they've produced.

In the end, if you happen to dislike this sort of thing, it goes back to the "90% of anything is mostly shit" philosophy.

I personally don't pay any heed to it anymore. It's not like these repeated art designs are ugly.

Novel art designs are novel by definition. If suddenly the industry decide to have more Gankutsuou art works, that'll become the point of criticism. Thing is, there is only so many designs out there, and there's way more anime being made now than say, a decade or two ago.
Jan 31, 2013 10:51 AM

Jan 2013
I think this is one of the reasons why personality really matters. Sure there can be 1000 people who look the same but it's the personality that then sticks out the most.
"Expect nothing, or you will get caught up in the future and not pay attention to the present. Just do the practice diligently, do it because you enjoy it, do it because you believe in it. Don't wait for results, don't wait for it to happen." -VD
Jan 31, 2013 10:56 AM

Jul 2012
I guess i really don't mind, as long as the anime is GOOD.
Jan 31, 2013 11:27 AM

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
nil- said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Hei!
Jan 31, 2013 12:28 PM

Jan 2013
I don't mind that the art styles are similar in many anime, as long as the story is good, I'll watch regardless.
Jan 31, 2013 12:29 PM

Dec 2012
I don't really care about same art styles in animes lol.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Feb 2, 2013 4:08 PM
Jun 2009
Although I do like the style, the way the characters in K-ON! were drawn seems to have been replicated in a fair few new anime, which is kinda ruining one of the unique points of K-ON

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

198 by Shizuna »»
40 seconds ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Apr 23

22 by shin0by »»
51 seconds ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 17 minutes ago

6 by Piromysl »»
4 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
30 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.