Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 30, 2013 11:21 AM

Oct 2011
I have a little story with my GiTS experience - I used to be ridiculously scared of the opening and ideas behind the series when I was a kid and it was broadcasting on TV. I've recently started watching SAC again, and I'm currently 1/3rd through 2nd Gig.

As a person who loves the series now, as well as a person who likes 'alternate versions' and 'new styles' - I have mixed feelings about the black and red style of the art, as well as the slightly younger Motoko.

What do you all think so far? Post again once more has been revealed on Feb 12th!
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Jan 30, 2013 5:18 PM

Nov 2010
I'm glad that it's probably not going to be a sequel to 2nd SAC.

I think it's going to take away from the more mature, dark, and realistic style. But I will be watching it.
Jan 30, 2013 5:38 PM

Nov 2011
Will definitely be watching regardless of the art style although I do have a little mixed feelings on it.

I've been a fan of the films and the previous series.
Jan 30, 2013 8:33 PM

Jun 2009
Based on the below picture...it looks too...new age. If you know what I mean. I can definitely see the moe influence. Matoko doesn't look anything like the one from GitS: SAC. I just hope that isn't a bad thing.

vs

Jan 30, 2013 8:45 PM

Oct 2011
I believe that "ARISE" is a reference to the rising of Motoko as the commander of Section 9.

If I am correct,

I just finished watching episode 13 of 2ND GIG, does this seem plausible?
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
Feb 1, 2013 6:46 AM

Jun 2010
The new design of Motoko is so turn-off.
Feb 1, 2013 6:59 AM

Oct 2008
Tbh, I don't see that big of a difference in the artstyle. Or at least it doesn't look less serious to me. I think she just looks different because she's younger, but who knows..
The only thing I could say so far is that Motoko looks a lot less hot in that pic, that's for sure. And I also dislike her uniform. All her uniforms in SAC were so hot.
Feb 1, 2013 10:31 AM

Feb 2009
I'm fine with it. Anything is better than that leotard in SAC.
Feb 1, 2013 1:51 PM

Jun 2009
HATUL300 said:
Tbh, I don't see that big of a difference in the artstyle. Or at least it doesn't look less serious to me. I think she just looks different because she's younger, but who knows..
The only thing I could say so far is that Motoko looks a lot less hot in that pic, that's for sure. And I also dislike her uniform. All her uniforms in SAC were so hot.

But how could should look younger? Her body is entirely cybernetic, therefore she doesn't "age".
Feb 1, 2013 2:35 PM

Oct 2008
Tyestor said:
HATUL300 said:

But how could should look younger? Her body is entirely cybernetic, therefore she doesn't "age".

If I recall I think they explained at some point that she changes her body frequently pretty much based on her age (what are the odds of a women actually doing that in the real world instead of staying young is another question lol).
But regardless, she obviously looks younger in that pic..
Feb 2, 2013 5:53 AM

Jun 2009
HATUL300 said:
Tyestor said:
HATUL300 said:

If I recall I think they explained at some point that she changes her body frequently pretty much based on her age (what are the odds of a women actually doing that in the real world instead of staying young is another question lol).
But regardless, she obviously looks younger in that pic..

[devils advocate]Idk, it seems more like a change in artstyle just so I.G can appeal to a wider audience. Kimi ni Todoke has tainted them...[/devils advocate]

Besides, Motoko is supposed to be at least 60 and she hasn't changed bodies (at least the appearance/bodyhacking, anyway) in any of the current anime. Oh well, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Press conference is on the 12th, maybe they will divulge a little more about the plot and Motoko's involvement.
loghneckbeardFeb 2, 2013 5:58 AM
Feb 3, 2013 2:40 AM

Oct 2008
Seems like her new design is trying to use the first GitS movie as a basis, and "updating" it to the current era of anime.

I'm fine with this visual style; as long as they keep in the mindbogglingly elaborate social commentary and excellent stand-alone characterizations, I'll be happy.
Feb 9, 2013 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
The art style doesn't bother me. It's been a decade since SAC so of course it's going to look different. As long as the storyline feels like GiTS then I don't have a problem with them making a more mainstream and colourful design for it to bring in a new audience.

I'm more interested if Yoko Kanno is gonna be on the music again honestly.
Feb 9, 2013 3:39 PM

Jun 2009
I'm really looking forward to it and don't really have a problem with the art.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 11, 2013 6:51 PM

Apr 2009
Motoko isn't as pretty as she was in SAC thats for sure but DAAAAAAMN am i ever excited for this.
lol @ img bbcode not working, mal is such a great site
Feb 12, 2013 6:13 AM

Nov 2011
it sucks, but I'll watch it.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Feb 12, 2013 6:57 AM

Aug 2010
Matoko from the SAC was an eyesore anyways.
Feb 12, 2013 1:00 PM

Jun 2009
Just saw the trailer and I love it.
Feb 12, 2013 2:10 PM

Oct 2011
Just learned about everything - I have to say, I'm rather happy with the reveal.

Only things that disappoint me are the fact that they've replaced Yoko Kanno, and the fact that it's only a 4 episode OVA, but even then, it's a good concept. I like how they've updatd the look without getting completely rid of the GitS feel. I also don't mind Matoko's new look, it fits with what we've seen of the bodies and such.

Also, do those who are wondering how she's younger when her body was completely cybernetic, it was explained in Stand Alone Complex. She lost her full body in an event when she was much younger, and as such, had to get replacements at regular intervals as she grew older. She actually gets fitted with her last cybernetic body in the first half of Second Gig.

Needless to say, I'm excited.
Feb 12, 2013 3:45 PM

Jul 2011
Well... I've lost my initial enthusiasm once I saw that Yoko Kanno and Kamiyama Kenji weren't part of it.

Not too fond of the art though. The art is shit. Batou just looks fat. And everyone else... oh geez. It's ugly...

But I'm still excited. <-- I wish I could say that.
Not expecting it to be amazing... but I love the franchise and the plot sounds intriguing enough.
MirorinFeb 12, 2013 4:17 PM
Feb 12, 2013 3:57 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Not a fan of the character designs. Liked the SAC one's more.
Feb 13, 2013 6:41 AM

Apr 2010
I'm glad that Maaya Sakamoto is giving her voice to Motoko Kusanagi. This must be her biggest role in her career as seiyu. The style is completely different from previous GITS series and movies and I kinda like it.
OlzhasFeb 13, 2013 9:54 AM
Feb 13, 2013 8:12 AM

Jul 2010
its the look of something that can never match up with Kenji Kamiyama's work, don't they dare replace may fav characters' picture with ones from these, they should just create another character profile for this series

i may sound childish but still
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Feb 19, 2013 9:26 AM

Jan 2009
Strange that somebody do not like fresh character design of Motoko, because it look much much better than SAC, there Matoko was looking more like babe, rather than cold cybork. Now her eyes and expression looks much closer who she supposed to be, like in original 1995 movie. After movie I actually never liked new design of Motoko in Stand Alone Complex.
Feb 20, 2013 5:35 AM

Jun 2008
slicKrox said:
Strange that somebody do not like fresh character design of Motoko, because it look much much better than SAC, there Matoko was looking more like babe, rather than cold cybork. Now her eyes and expression looks much closer who she supposed to be, like in original 1995 movie. After movie I actually never liked new design of Motoko in Stand Alone Complex.

So SAC Motoko looks like a babe but this looks cyborg? This one can look pretty human too as i've seen. But instead of a babe it's the young cute girl now. I guess you compare and choose.
MonadFeb 20, 2013 5:44 AM
Feb 23, 2013 4:35 PM

Jan 2009
Monad said:
slicKrox said:

So SAC Motoko looks like a babe but this looks cyborg? This one can look pretty human too as i've seen. But instead of a babe it's the young cute girl now. I guess you compare and choose.

Agree, from this shot definetly, non of them look like they should, but still, from other images theres more hope. At least, maybe this teen will be not wearing bikini or some other fan-service half-naked costumes like in SAC.
Mar 1, 2013 12:09 AM

Nov 2011
If they actually cared about this, they would stick to the original Character Design they used with Koukaku Kidoutai 1995.

Mod Edit: Removed excessive profanity.
LunaMar 1, 2013 12:33 AM
Mar 7, 2013 7:05 PM
Dec 2010
Right now, I am sort of ambivalent. While I do not particularly dislike it, I do not to thrilled about it either. That said, I'll hold my judgement until I actually get to see it in motion as the preview was not a good indicator. The new style does seem to be more... hm... versatile than the that of SAC so I expect to see a lot of fantastic imagery.

I don't really care if she's "hot" or not, that is really irrelevant. So long as I am getting more GITS that's all I care about in the end.
Mar 24, 2013 8:43 AM

Sep 2011
I just hope this isn't an attempt to appeal to the masses, the last thing I would want to see is a 14 year old Motoko being an angsty teenager. I'm probably looking too much into it that anime has yet to disappoint me. I guess I was just hoping for a continuation of Stand Alone Complex; I love that series.

Edit: Oh wow I was just looking at the cast, everyone is new. That's not a good sign this might end up as bad as those recent Berserk animations. Not looking forward to this :(.
FullmetalRaikouMar 24, 2013 8:50 AM
Mar 24, 2013 7:22 PM

Aug 2012
For me Batou's facial structure looks really fucked up. Like really bad.

Mokoto seems to be the best looking out of all of them, I don'tmind the changes they made with her, but everyone else just seems a little off.

He looks like a fuckin baby or somethin... I dunno.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Apr 6, 2013 6:38 AM

Jan 2013
Personally like new design. Feels more modern and action-oriented. Kinda like new Motoko design as well; she looks tougher and less "fem!botish", though it's a shame that trademark coat is gone.
Apr 22, 2013 8:36 PM

Mar 2011
New Motoko...looks too...eh...
May 5, 2013 12:40 AM
May 2010
not a fan, pazu's too skinny, batou too fat, aramaki...wut... and saito, wth?! ishikawa, boma, and togusa i can stomach. enjoyed the older designs much more. looks more cartoonish here.
May 12, 2013 10:36 PM

Jul 2012
MM-Rosiie said:
Well... I've lost my initial enthusiasm once I saw that Yoko Kanno and Kamiyama Kenji weren't part of it.

Say it ain't so! :/
May 13, 2013 6:18 PM

May 2012
I really don't understand the complaints about Motoko looking too "moe" or whatever. If you're going to complain about "pandering," complain about the shift from her almost androgynous depiction in the 1995 film to her highly sexualized one in SAC. I personally really prefer the more subdued style of her new design over her ultra-feminine SAC design.

RomanceDawn said:
I just hope this isn't an attempt to appeal to the masses ...

If anything is an "appeal to the masses" it's having Motoko walk around without pants for the entire first season of SAC.
yuridiceMay 13, 2013 6:24 PM

[color=#f3e7dd]join the quietly discursive at quiet discourse
May 13, 2013 6:25 PM

Apr 2011
I'm going to give it a fair chance. Being someone who saw the original GitS film when it first came over to the US I actually was sceptical about SAC because they all looked rather different, especially Motoko. So I will not judge the anime based on art style, which I honestly don't think looks bad at all. Just different from what we know and love.
Jun 3, 2013 12:53 AM

Jun 2008
SidePonytail said:
I really don't understand the complaints about Motoko looking too "moe" or whatever. If you're going to complain about "pandering," complain about the shift from her almost androgynous depiction in the 1995 film to her highly sexualized one in SAC. I personally really prefer the more subdued style of her new design over her ultra-feminine SAC design.

The androgynous design in 1995 movie was a complete new invention of the movie. Motoko was very very sexualized in the manga, she even has scenes making lesbian sex or making teasing sex offers to the guys. SAC was more inspired by the manga and still was a lot more conservative.
Motoko is a "no shame, open sexually" person. Why can' a a character be like that and not be accused that is because of "pandering". If i was an author i would be pissed on not be allowed to make a sexually liberated person in my stories and not be accused that i made such person only for pandering.

Edit: Saw you are girl. If we combine that with being a conservative person i guess we get where your criticism gets. Motoko is exactly the opposite of a conservative person in every aspect.
MonadJun 3, 2013 12:57 AM
Apr 20, 2014 2:46 PM
Jun 2009
anybody else think paz and saito in episode 2 look like a couple of random dudes rather than themselves? the other characters are at least recognizable, but those two seem to have gotten the short end of the redesign stick.
Nov 27, 2014 5:20 PM

Jul 2014
I'm really depressed they decided to remake the story rather than making a continuation - original SAC was definitely one of my favorites anime of all time. But as a fan i will not complain :) The artwork is simply awesome. As for changing the looks of team members - it's a good thing i think. I'm opposed to never changing images of anime characters :/ Here we got a fresh glance and it's remarkable.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:1 Ghost Pain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2013

148 by Archean-Return »»
Jun 13, 2023 5:56 PM

» Philosphy

Hashira_1996 - Aug 1, 2022

1 by Lafansujie »»
Aug 4, 2022 6:02 AM

» Watching Order for Ghost in a Shell: Arise

pokuchoppu - Oct 20, 2014

6 by Xenoseeker »»
Oct 3, 2015 7:47 PM

» Entry has been split...

loghneckbeard - Jun 23, 2013

11 by Restless_Soul »»
Oct 5, 2014 11:39 AM

» Do I need to watch anything?

Haytin - Jan 27, 2014

2 by Haytin »»
Jan 27, 2014 8:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.