New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 29, 2013 1:49 PM
Jun 2009
Anyone care to rate mine?
Mar 29, 2013 2:59 PM

Dec 2011
thats the problem with this thread, anyone confident enough to be judged has well rounded taste, at least as far the animes they have seen already. although i did think giving DTB S2 a 2 was a bit harsh and not factoring in the things it did right, but whatever, nitpicks right?
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Mar 29, 2013 5:23 PM

Nov 2011
Everyone has had criticism offered to them, so the thread has served a purpose. (Besides, confidence can sometimes mean cockiness.) I've learned quite a bit from the advice given to others. I especially enjoyed reading different perspectives on MAL's scoring system and the worth of Elfen Lied, Gurren Lagann, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the last of which I now feel motivated to watch).

I...don't feel worthy of judging anyone's tastes, though. :s So my post isn't deviating from the original topic, everyone's free to, erm, judge me, too. D:
Mar 29, 2013 5:26 PM
Mar 2011
you like alot of overrated anime
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Mar 29, 2013 5:37 PM

Dec 2011
Cathedral said:
Everyone has had criticism offered to them, so the thread has served a purpose. (Besides, confidence can sometimes mean cockiness.) I've learned quite a bit from the advice given to others. I especially enjoyed reading different perspectives on MAL's scoring system and the worth of Elfen Lied, Gurren Lagann, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the last of which I now feel motivated to watch).

I...don't feel worthy of judging anyone's tastes, though. :s So my post isn't deviating from the original topic, everyone's free to, erm, judge me, too. D:

when did someone educate you about the merit of Elfen Lied? i'd like to look at that. i would argue for that show any day, but most critically-minded people tend to shit on it. by the way, i glanced at your profile and saw that your number 1 anime is Blood +. please explain that to me because i finished that show recently and took a break from anime because i thought it was so wretched and devoid of substance that I kind of hate myself for finishing it. it's surprising to me that anyone would hold that show in high esteem, particularly someone with otherwise good taste such as yourself.
Mar 29, 2013 6:04 PM

Aug 2012
So... What about my taste? I wanna join the fun.
Mar 29, 2013 6:21 PM

Dec 2011
you haven't seen that much so it's hard to say. but i'd say you're on the right track so far when it comes to modern anime. hell, we have a 91% compat. rating, probably highest i've ever seen so i can't really criticize.
Mar 29, 2013 6:23 PM

Jun 2012
Completed: 27
Dropped: 19

do you even anime?
Mar 29, 2013 6:53 PM

Aug 2012
I really don't watch too much anime, I'm more into manga.
I have so many dropped animes because I'm tryingto follow the new seasons.
Wow, a 91% compatibility, not sure if we both have a good taste or a shitty taste...
Mar 29, 2013 6:58 PM

Dec 2011
FrancWyvern said:
I really don't watch too much anime, I'm more into manga.
Wow, a 91% compatibility, not sure if we both have a good taste or a shitty taste...

it's because i've seen the same anime as you; we both enjoy modern anime of a darker nature.
Mar 29, 2013 6:59 PM

Aug 2009
FrancWyvern said:

It's usually easier to have high compatibility when you share low number of anime.
Mar 29, 2013 7:07 PM
Jun 2012
Among some of the titles we share, I'm glad there are some on your list that I really like. We're sort on the same page with certain anime as well.

I highly suggest you try and pick on those that you have on hold, like The Big O, Panty and Stocking, and whichever on the list have shorter series spans. If you have movies you're planning to watch, get those out of the way first. OVAs? They're pretty self-contained, so you're likely to get plenty of enjoyment in animation and (hopefully) plot. There's a lot of amazing stuff on your back-list that demands your attention.
Mar 29, 2013 8:45 PM

Oct 2012
@FrancWyvern

Your anime taste seems alright. The Tatami Galaxy got a 10 so I approve. Just watch more. Like, a lot more. Also, I approve of your taste in manga. Vinland Saga and Oyasumi Punpun. Two great manga titles.

@keirapop

I'm split. You've finished K-ON! but not Princess Tutu or The Tatami Galaxy. As well as scoring 5 centimeters per second and Durarara!! over Tsumiki no Ie. Well. If you could justify why you did these things, then maybe my qualms would settle down. But it just doesn't seem right to me.

Now excuse me as I watch more anime to make myself look more credible.
Mar 29, 2013 8:46 PM

Oct 2012
Already have a hunch what some will point out in my list.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Mar 29, 2013 8:47 PM

Aug 2009
Tavor said:

Clannad?
Mar 29, 2013 8:50 PM

Oct 2012
metamorphius said:
Tavor said:

Clannad?

Well, that was one of them, but I know you're raising an eyebrow through the roof with something else *hint hint wink wink* :P

Mar 29, 2013 8:55 PM

Aug 2009
Tavor said:
metamorphius said:
Tavor said:

Clannad?

Well, that was one of them, but I know you're raising an eyebrow through the roof with something else *hint hint wink wink* :P

Oh, you mean LOGH? Who cares, you didn't rate it, thus its score won't be affected, so it's your loss only.
Mar 29, 2013 8:58 PM

Apr 2012
>Dropped
>LoGH
>Favourites
>Monster and Mawaru
>Pleb Coefficient : Not that high anymore.

>Dropping Heldensagen Vom Kosmosinsel immediately puts you in pleb tier.

metamorphius said:
Tavor said:
metamorphius said:
Tavor said:

Clannad?

Oh, you mean LOGH? Who cares, you didn't rate it, thus its score won't be affected, so it's your loss only.

Really I don't expect everyone to like LoGH, it's a misconception when people praise it as the best thing ever that you must enjoy it. I honestly don't care as long as they don't say it's complete shit (in a more critical stance).
Mar 29, 2013 8:59 PM

Oct 2012
metamorphius said:

When you put it that way, that does make sense. This is why I don't believe in rating anime I drop.
I'm sure I am missing out on a grand anime though; I'll give it a shot later in the future.
SSC_Exin said:

Yeah, it's not shit by any means. I just can't tolerate that much of a long build up and the long episode count intimidates me to find other shorter lengthed anime for the time being.

Mar 29, 2013 9:04 PM

Jan 2013
Can I jump on the rate my tastes train as well?
Mar 29, 2013 9:09 PM

Oct 2012
CynamonBun said:
Can I jump on the rate my tastes train as well?

It needs more Inferno Coppu love~

Mar 29, 2013 9:31 PM
Jun 2012
I think I'll leave my tastes for judgement on this thread as well; seems like a legit open forum so long as all discussions stay relevant as per the post.

And to OP: I haven't kept up with Gurren Lagann and I really need to finish it.
Mar 29, 2013 9:33 PM

Aug 2009
SSC_Exin said:

Really I don't expect everyone to like LoGH, it's a misconception when people praise it as the best thing ever that you must enjoy it.

I very much agree. I do think LOGH belongs to the very best anime has to offer, but to say everyone must love it is silly.

I read Tavor's comment on LOGH in his list and I am perfectly fine with his opinion.

SSC_Exin said:

I honestly don't care as long as they don't say it's complete shit (in a more critical stance).

Oh, I just ignore such comments, because they're either troll attempts or uneducated ramblings.
But, I've got my LOGH pet peeve too. It's when people go around saying how it is so old the animation looks unappealing, thus it must be boring and crappy. Dear assumptionist, your grandmother may be old and look unappealing, but she still may have quite a bit of wisdom to share.
Mar 30, 2013 4:27 AM
Jun 2009
Ducat_Revel said:
@FrancWyvern
@keirapop

I'm split. You've finished K-ON! but not Princess Tutu or The Tatami Galaxy. As well as scoring 5 centimeters per second and Durarara!! over Tsumiki no Ie. Well. If you could justify why you did these things, then maybe my qualms would settle down. But it just doesn't seem right to me.

Now excuse me as I watch more anime to make myself look more credible.

Ahh the tatami galaxy was one I really wanted to finish but I have attention issues so I couldn't keep up with the subs and the show. It is something I would like to give another try but I am really not sure if I could ever make it through the whole show.
Oddly enough I don't even remember that anime very well since it has been years since I have seen it. I think that must be one of my older rating that I forgot to fix... I think I will really have to re-watch that because it looks a whole lot more interesting to me now.
Thank you for the feedback!!
Apr 10, 2013 8:08 PM
Mar 2013
Please rate my taste in anime if you'd like to.
Apr 10, 2013 8:15 PM

Sep 2012
Truth_Seeker said:

Your scores are rather high. On the other hand, you seem to have watched mostly good stuff, but there are a lot of anime I wouldn't rate nearly as highly as you did.
Apr 10, 2013 8:19 PM

Nov 2011
Truth_Seeker said:

Well, for starters, you rate on a 7-10 scale. Use the full spectrum- There are 10 scores you can use, not just those three.

The most glaring rating on your list is that 8 on Mirai Nikki. There are plenty of series on our relations that are just mediocre and I can get why people might, at first glance, think they are good, but not Mirai Nikki. It is genuinely BAD. But I would like to hear your thoughts on the show and why you would give it an 8.

Other than that, you just haven't seen a lot of stuff.
Apr 10, 2013 8:30 PM
Mar 2013
I most likely have to do a lot of re-watching. I've only been into anime for about one year and I was very inexperienced when it came to judging a series. I'm curious as to which series you thought I rated too high(Most likely Deadman Wonderland, Mirai Nikki, Kuroshisuji, and Toradora). I'm interested in discussing them if you don't mind.
Apr 10, 2013 8:37 PM
Mar 2013
I apologize for my double post, but as you can see I'm new to forums in general and I didn't reply correctly. I apologize. The post before this was in reply to Popka. I hadn't yet read Amberleah's post. I definitely have a soft spot for Mirai Nikki because it was what got in me into actual character development(which is odd because while some characters have backstories none of them really develop). I'll probably change that rating to a 6 or 5 based on what I just remembered.
Apr 10, 2013 8:41 PM

Sep 2012
Truth_Seeker said:
I most likely have to do a lot of re-watching. I've only been into anime for about one year and I was very inexperienced when it came to judging a series. I'm curious as to which series you thought I rated too high(Most likely Deadman Wonderland, Mirai Nikki, Kuroshisuji, and Toradora). I'm interested in discussing them if you don't mind.

I haven't seen Deadman Wonderland, and I have my own issues with Toradora! that aren't necessarily critically relevant. It's Mirai Nikki and Kuroshitsuji, and to a lesser extent, Angel Beats! and Durarara!!. I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.
Apr 10, 2013 8:51 PM
Mar 2013
Popka said:
Truth_Seeker said:

I haven't seen Deadman Wonderland, and I have my own issues with Toradora! that aren't necessarily critically relevant. It's Mirai Nikki and Kuroshitsuji, and to a lesser extent, Angel Beats! and Durarara!!. I'd be glad to hear what you have to say.

I really enjoyed Durarara, but I can definitely understand why someone wouldn't enjoy. Honestly I believe episodes 1-12 were flawless. Those episodes introduced many interesting characters and plot line was complex(Baccano did complex plot lines much better. It's definitely the better Narita Ryohgo title in my opinion.)
Truth_SeekerApr 10, 2013 9:13 PM
Apr 10, 2013 9:17 PM

Sep 2012
I didn't dislike Durarara!!, but I was left a little unsatisfied. Baccano! is certainly the better series. If you're interested, you might want to weigh in on our Evangelion discussion (read: war).
Apr 10, 2013 9:32 PM
Mar 2013
Thank you for the invitation:I'd love to participate in that. Evangelion is a series known not just for interesting characters but the ability to provoke debate. Just to double check, as I'm very new to forums and I really don't want screw anything up, you're referring to the polling discussion correct?
This is slightly off-topic, but I modified my list removing all "nostalgia biases". That being said I have a tendency to be a bit too forgiving when it comes to ratings(though I'm definitely confident in my 9's and 10's).
Truth_SeekerApr 10, 2013 9:38 PM
Apr 10, 2013 9:38 PM

Sep 2012
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. And I'm wondering, has it been a while since you've seen Digimon Tamers? I probably overrate it, but I think I could make a decent argument for its legitimate quality.

Speaking of which, I should also probably submit to tribunal.
Apr 10, 2013 9:47 PM
Mar 2013
Digimon Tamers was my first anime, so yes it's been a very long time. I know Chiaki J. Konaka(Serial Experiments Lain) played a big part in Tamers development so I'm probably underrating it. I forgot to add that to my re-watch list. The only part I remember slightly clearly is the "D-Reaper" Arc which I remember enjoying a lot.
Apr 10, 2013 10:42 PM

Oct 2012
Truth_Seeker said:

You score too high but other than that you're on the right track. Just browse through our Enlightenment list and you'll be on your way.

Though, unless you can state why, your scores for Haruhi and C are too high (especially for C).
Apr 10, 2013 11:00 PM
Mar 2013
I can defend Haruhi to an extent. I was a bit more lenient because it's really more of a comedic anime. There really isn't much substance to the show itself. Haruhi and Kyon are the only characters that have any substance, but even they aren't that interesting or well-developed. I can't defend C. That is just an example of me being too forgiving and scoring too high. The concept was interesting, but the characters were either well-developed,but cliche or just personality-less.
Apr 10, 2013 11:07 PM

Oct 2012
The art for C was also obtrusive. It was a bit painful to look at.

I actually really liked TMoHS; at least the Melancholy arc. It was really meant to be a romance anime, but that was tossed aside after the arc. What a shame. The entire series still needs one more season to really wrap things up.
Apr 10, 2013 11:17 PM
Mar 2013
I agree with you about the Melancholy arc. That arc had substance, but the rest was only mildly entertaining. I'm honsetly just a bit bitter from "Endless Eight". I think developing Koizumi, Mikuru, and Yuki would add a lot more to the show. I feel as if those characters shouldn't be limited to comic relief/plot device roles. I've heard many good things about the movie,
Truth_SeekerApr 14, 2013 8:15 PM
Apr 14, 2013 6:41 PM

Jan 2013
I am also curious about what this club thinks of my tastes, if anyone would like to rate them.
No signature to see here~
Apr 14, 2013 7:00 PM
Jul 2012
rate my taste
Apr 14, 2013 7:10 PM

Oct 2012
GoldenBRS said:
rate my taste

You rate a few shows too high. Clannad Afterstory is way too high. It had a few things going for it, but the restart ending ruined any chances of it being a "great" series. I don't get why the Tomoyo chapter got a 10. . . Don't try to explain it to me. Your words will be lost on me.

Also, you dropped TTGL and Inferno Cop but kept Bleach? Blasphemer. Watch more from the Enlightenment list.
Apr 15, 2013 12:52 PM

Feb 2012
GoldenBRS said:
rate my taste

With only 77 completed it's obvious that your taste can't be really refined. Combined with the age your favorites are all predictable and generic. Not your fault, just an observation.

You rate too high in general but I did that in the beginning as well. MAL says we got 80.2% but I doubt that we would agree on many shows regarding quality and value. The Clannad issue was pointed out already but your ratings seem only subjective in general.To recognise flaws while enjoying a show is always a decent goal. It doesn't mean you can't enjoy it because it got some flaws it just ain't perfect.

Even I probably rated AS too highly on my list because of the tear factor and the time that pasted since I watched it...but anyway...back on track.

There's 2 10's in your list that I would accept with Knk:5 and the Haruhi movie but that's about it. You should aim to define a mostly objective rating system that allows you to use the full scale. Of course subjective impression always is part of this but try to reduce it. If you get around to 200 completed shows and various genres that you watched, you should get a better grasp of what actually has quality or the shows that just blind with fun on the surface with many flaws and uncreative content.

A start would be to finish GitS:SaC and Higurashi.
Apr 15, 2013 2:07 PM

Apr 2012
I would like to know what you guys think of my tastes.
Apr 15, 2013 4:16 PM

Feb 2012
Rate my tastes.
Apr 15, 2013 4:20 PM

Feb 2013
Matthew-san said:
I don't really understand how you're rating the Ghibli stuff, since you gave a 10 to Chihiro, Hotaru no Haka and Mononoke Hime. Are those three on the same level in your opinion ? I really think Hotaru is far behind those two. Then you put Kurenai really lower, on the same level as Ano Hi Mita Hana ... why ?

Also i have a question for all of you since that's not the first time i see someone rating Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu really, really higher than the show itself. I have not seen the movie yet, is it really that better ?

Then for the rest of your list: everything looks fine Matthew. You dropped HOTD at ep2, you did not even wait for the fanservice to come up, what a monk ... :p

SaekoBusu said:
Rate my tastes.
You change your list settings right ? This is nice i like it. But you know that dotted line which appears when you hover a title, wouldn't it be better if it appeared on the bottom AND top border of the row ?

Hoshi no Koe, i need to see this, but i hated The Place Promised ... so i'm a bit scared! I will wait and try Perfect blue meanwhile, seems safer!

You punished Death Note, why is that ? I know it's hype but it's a good show in the end. Glad to see i'm not the only one to think Madoka is not that big. Then i don't know since i didn't yet watched most of your top ratings, except Lain which i think is really overrated.

Rest seems legit, although you have Mushishi on Hold ... how can you HOLD IT?
sed_lexApr 15, 2013 4:38 PM
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Apr 16, 2013 7:05 AM

Sep 2011
Sh0wdown said:
Also i have a question for all of you since that's not the first time i see someone rating Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu really, really higher than the show itself. I have not seen the movie yet, is it really that better ?
Yes. It's actually quite good. But I feel one has to watch the series first to fully appreciate it.
Apr 16, 2013 8:02 AM

Jun 2012
I watched Shoushitsu after the first season without having watched the second season. I still fully enjoyed it although it is probably better to watch both before
Apr 16, 2013 11:35 AM

Apr 2012
Sh0wdown said:
Matthew-san said:
I don't really understand how you're rating the Ghibli stuff, since you gave a 10 to Chihiro, Hotaru no Haka and Mononoke Hime. Are those three on the same level in your opinion ? I really think Hotaru is far behind those two. Then you put Kurenai really lower, on the same level as Ano Hi Mita Hana ... why ?

Then for the rest of your list: everything looks fine Matthew. You dropped HOTD at ep2, you did not even wait for the fanservice to come up, what a monk ... :p

Oh yeah! Incredibly better, absurdly better. I really recommend that anyone watches it. Thought you have to at least seen all the plot episodes of Haruhi (Things like the baseball, videogame or island episode aren't necessary.)

I put Kurenai no Buta on the same level as Ano Hana because honestly...I didn't see anything that special in the story, characters or even the direction. I think it's a tad overrated IMO.
Apr 16, 2013 12:21 PM

Nov 2012
So, how's my taste?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.