Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2013 11:01 AM

Jul 2012
Amberleh:

This thread is now about recommending shows to other users based on their lists should they ask.

THIS IS NOT A LIST CRITIQUE THREAD. Any post asking for their list to be critiqued will be deleted.

Thank you =)
AmberlehMay 9, 2013 8:31 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 25, 2013 11:05 AM

Nov 2011
I don't see any problem. My only question is why you have so many on hold.

It just looks to me like you're either newer to anime or just not incredibly into it, judging by your completed list, and either is fine. Most people probably shouldn't be as into it as they are, myself included. =)
Jan 25, 2013 11:08 AM

Jul 2012
Amberleh said:

It just looks to me like you're either newer to anime or just not incredibly into it, judging by your completed list, and either is fine. Most people probably shouldn't be as into it as they are, myself included. =)

I'm fairly new to anime. Got into it in late 2011. As far as my "On Hold" list goes, I have terrible internet speeds, and I often get the chance to watch one or two episodes of a show and never get to see more, so I throw them into "On Hold", as I plan to eventually finish them or at least get back to them. Some of them I just got cut off of watching mid-way. And in some cases, I refused to continue watching since I couldn't find any more legally free episodes of the shows available dubbed. I've since gotten over my issues with not watching anime dubbed. For the most part.
Jan 25, 2013 11:16 AM

Nov 2011
Battlechili1 said:
Amberleh said:

I'm fairly new to anime. Got into it in late 2011. As far as my "On Hold" list goes, I have terrible internet speeds, and I often get the chance to watch one or two episodes of a show and never get to see more, so I throw them into "On Hold", as I plan to eventually finish them or at least get back to them. Some of them I just got cut off of watching mid-way. And in some cases, I refused to continue watching since I couldn't find any more legally free episodes of the shows available dubbed. I've since gotten over my issues with not watching anime dubbed. For the most part.

Hulu is a legal place for free dubs. Another place you can look is Funimation's Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/funimation

They have a lot of dub options there. Granted you're going to want to make sure you look at some of the ratings on this site before you pick random title, because some of the stuff Funimation has liscenced is downright awful.

I also know of places where you can watch dubs illegally, but props for wanting to watch em legally.
Jan 25, 2013 11:50 AM

Aug 2009
Battlechili1 said:
Come. Tell me what you think of me and my lists.

Inviting flaming, by any chance? :D OK, let's see...

*checks the list*
Hmmm, nothing wrong with it, as far as I can see. It's a fairly short list anyway so there's no much space for criticism.
Madoka, Durarara, Summer Wars, ROD OVA, Ghibli stuff are all anime I approve of being scored highly.
I see you rated Cowboy Bepop a tad low ("low" when compared to your average score, that is). I'm just mentioning it because it may have surprised me a bit.
I'm sad to see you dropped Lain, but oh, well, I can understand it not being everyone's cup of tea.

From your ptw list, I'd especially recommend: Shiki, Baccano, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Bokurano, Mawaru Penguindrum.
Jan 25, 2013 12:42 PM

Jan 2013
Adding to what has already been said, I'd recommend you to move Last Exile back from the dropped - it's actually very good (but do avoid Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam, though.)
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Jul 2012
metamorphius said:
Battlechili1 said:
Come. Tell me what you think of me and my lists.

Inviting flaming, by any chance? :D OK, let's see...

*checks the list*
Hmmm, nothing wrong with it, as far as I can see. It's a fairly short list anyway so there's no much space for criticism.
Madoka, Durarara, Summer Wars, ROD OVA, Ghibli stuff are all anime I approve of being scored highly.
I see you rated Cowboy Bepop a tad low ("low" when compared to your average score, that is). I'm just mentioning it because it may have surprised me a bit.
I'm sad to see you dropped Lain, but oh, well, I can understand it not being everyone's cup of tea.

From your ptw list, I'd especially recommend: Shiki, Baccano, Steins;Gate, Fate/Zero, Bokurano, Mawaru Penguindrum.

I didn't really care for Bebop all that much. Not enough story focus. I have to admit though: Great dub, great characters, great story.
Jan 25, 2013 3:33 PM

Jun 2012
Summer wars.

I actively disliked it and that rarely even happens, the plot devices were terrible (kids getting in the way and guy being retarded being what block kazama from wiping out the bad guy? seriously? then the deusexmachina in the ending when they get random help w/e)

I guess it's just my opinion but I think it's terribly overrated

rest is fine. It's a shame you got a bad connection, you'll never catch up with your backlog ;_;
Jan 25, 2013 3:59 PM

Jul 2012
Valkyrion said:
Summer wars.

I actively disliked it and that rarely even happens, the plot devices were terrible (kids getting in the way and guy being retarded being what block kazama from wiping out the bad guy? seriously? then the deusexmachina in the ending when they get random help w/e)

I guess it's just my opinion but I think it's terribly overrated

rest is fine. It's a shame you got a bad connection, you'll never catch up with your backlog ;_;

Huh. I thought Summer Wars was amazing. Ah well. Yeah, bad connection ruins my chances of catching up on my list. Tis' a shame indeed.
Maegil said:
Adding to what has already been said, I'd recommend you to move Last Exile back from the dropped - it's actually very good (but do avoid Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam, though.)

I suppose I'll pick it up again sometime. Just had a rather boring first episode.
Jan 25, 2013 4:04 PM

Apr 2012
Too soon to tell. Watch more and come back so we can flame you for your shit taste.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 25, 2013 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
BloodRequiem said:
Too soon to tell. Watch more and come back so we can flame you for your shit taste.
Why am I getting an urge to use the fire hose? Do chill down, good Sir!

Oh, I see - you're in Canada, and it's Winter in the Northern hemisphere. So, that's why you're so keen on setting something aflame... Still, I'm afraid I can't allow it.

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 25, 2013 5:37 PM

Apr 2012
Maegil said:
BloodRequiem said:
Why am I getting an urge to use the fire hose? Do chill down, good Sir!

Oh, I see - you're in Canada, and it's Winter in the Northern hemisphere. So, that's why you're so keen on setting something aflame... Still, I'm afraid I can't allow it.

As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 25, 2013 6:25 PM
Mar 2012
Your on hold list was almost as much as my completed list lol I don't have any problem with your list but i can see you're sort of like me xD the type of person who gives like every one out of ten anime a 10. Actually im glad you even gave a ten some people think they're the judges of x factor or something saying i really enjoyed it best ive seen BUT its not like perfect NO if you enjoyed you enjoyed it nothings perfect but its as perfect as it can be. Funny how you say you're fairly new yet you started all the way in 2011 i only official watched anime in 2012 and ive completed 42 animes and i can hardly call myself new. Guess i am pretty new compared to all the other people. Only ten anime completed in 2 years? lol you make me feel as if i have no life which on the most part is true.

KikyoFlowerJan 30, 2013 10:08 PM
Jan 28, 2013 12:18 AM

May 2012
I too am curious to be informed of how awful my taste is. Please enlighten me :)
Jan 28, 2013 12:46 AM

Mar 2012
RarityRoyale said:
I too am curious to be informed of how awful my taste is. Please enlighten me :)
Even though I agree R2 is actually better than the first season of Code Geass and most people's problems with it are either a result of a misunderstanding or are just extremely subjective, I must tell you your taste is shit for enjoying it more in order to conform with the group.
Jan 28, 2013 1:44 AM

Nov 2011
RarityRoyale said:

I chalk your taste up to you being 16. Different things are going to appeal to you at that age because your emotions are heightend.

But for a quick breakdown:

Elfen Lied is terrible. I could explain all the reasons why as I have done so hundreds of times, but I don't wish to right now. Long story short: It is not actually deep. It is pretentious and 'LOL DEEP'. You wanna talk about poor characterization? Elfen Lied takes the cake. While it's target audience is 25 year old males, it's primary fanbase is the 13-18 crowd.

Strawberry Panic is amusing, but 'as good as yuri gets' means that you only want smut from your yuri. I suggest you watch Aoi Hana instead, although you might yet be a bit young to appreciate it. If you really do only want smut, go ahead and watch Kannazuki no Miko- I think I was your age when I watched it, and it amused me.

I also wonder how in the world you've only seen ONE Miyazaki movie.

Ano Hana? A 5? Hmm. I think maybe you don't get slice of life? It seems to be the only slice of life on your list so that wouldn't surprise me- Other than Kuragehime. I know when I was younger I didn't understand Slice of Life and was bored- It wasn't until I was in college and older that I started to appreciate the 'calmer' sort of slice of life thing. Granted Ano Hana isn't the greatest slice of life and is certainly overrated, but I don't think it's a 5.

Really I think it all just comes down to you being newer to anime and your age. IF you choose to continue to watch anime into adulthood your tastes will change and you will better be able to understand the subtext or lack thereof in many series.

Edit: I see Utena on your Currently Watching list. I will caution you that you probably won't understand the majority of it. It is a PHENOMENAL series and it IS a masterpiece, but it is a very confusing story.

If you would like it explained to you after/while you're watching it, feel free to message me about it. I watched it quite a few years back and now and then I still figure out something new about it.
AmberlehJan 28, 2013 2:31 AM
Jan 28, 2013 6:38 AM

Jan 2012
Battlechili1 said:
Tell me what you think of me and my lists.

Completed:
You don't have bad taste, but you are inexperienced.
This list is too short - Watch more anime!

On-Hold:
This list is way too long.
There are some good anime on there. Do yourself a favour and finish them.
This will also help solve the problem with your 'Completed' list.
However, there are a few anime on there that you are better off not watching... *cough* long-running generic shounen shit *cough* - You can watch many more series if you stick to shorter ones.

Dropped:
Yes, You do have a [big] problem if you dropped Last Exile and Serial Experiments Lain.
I'd highly advise picking them up again.
If you dropped them because you didn't understand them, then your problem is bigger than a simple case of bad taste.

Plan to Watch:
This one is actually good. It's nice and long and has many good series on it.
Do yourself a favour though and avoid eye-cancer like Lucky☆Star, fucked-up shit like School Days, and yet again *cough* long-running generic shounen shit *cough*

If you like Ecchi, Action, or generally Awesome anime, feel free to use my list as a guide. (link in my signature)

RarityRoyale said:
The only problem I see there is that you gave Toradora! a 5!
Toradora! is the best romance anime of all time - How dare you!
Maybe the the tag you gave to Serial Experiments Lain belongs there too: "...unfortunately I am too dense..."
Same applies to Ano Hana.
It seems that you just don't 'get' romance. Maybe you should avoid the genre until your taste matures a bit.

Other than that, I approve of your list. It's also a bit short, but I'm sure you will be able to build it up to something quite impressive.

NyaaJan 28, 2013 6:59 AM
Jan 28, 2013 9:47 AM

Jul 2012
Virtual_BS said:
Battlechili1 said:
Tell me what you think of me and my lists.

Completed:
You don't have bad taste, but you are inexperienced.
This list is too short - Watch more anime!

On-Hold:
This list is way too long.
There are some good anime on there. Do yourself a favour and finish them.
This will also help solve the problem with your 'Completed' list.
However, there are a few anime on there that you are better off not watching... *cough* long-running generic shounen shit *cough* - You can watch many more series if you stick to shorter ones.

Dropped:
Yes, You do have a [big] problem if you dropped Last Exile and Serial Experiments Lain.
I'd highly advise picking them up again.
If you dropped them because you didn't understand them, then your problem is bigger than a simple case of bad taste.

Plan to Watch:
This one is actually good. It's nice and long and has many good series on it.
Do yourself a favour though and avoid eye-cancer like Lucky☆Star, fucked-up shit like School Days, and yet again *cough* long-running generic shounen shit *cough*

It's just that Last Exile had a really dull first episode and the weird CGI effects are overused. It's why I don't like Gonzo as an animation company. They can oftentimes be bad at animation, have dull first episodes, and throw in way too much CGI. And Serial Experiments Lain? I tried to watch it. It seemed somewhat enjoyable. But it bored me so much. From what I got out of it, out of what I had seen, it was about a girl who was slowly becoming a god after gaining access to what is basically, the Internet. The Internet and the real world start to interlap, and this causes problems. There's also a powerful "Internet" group that wishes to gain control over Lain. But...It's just....It bored me. So much. Also, regarding the longrunning shonen stuff on my plan to watch and on hold list: Bleach is an awful show. Due to its filler and overly prolonged battles. However. When at its best, it can offer fairly entertaining storylines. At its best. Which is usually rare. Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z? Those are must see longrunning shonen from what I can tell. Fairy Tail? From what I saw of the first few episodes, pretty good. Naruto? Thought I'd hate it, but seems to show a lot of heart. When filler comes around though......Oh, and if you have any issue with "Kekkaishi" being on my on hold, I consider it to be highly underated as one of those action shonen. Perhaps it's just me, but I think most anime are pretty good, especially if you compare them to everything else that comes on television. And as I've said before: My On hold list is long because I am oftentimes unable to finish a series due to bad internet access.
Jan 28, 2013 12:22 PM

Feb 2005
Really though, there is no need for a thorough analysis. Merely consult this simple flowchart;
Jan 28, 2013 12:49 PM

Jul 2012
Baman said:
Really though, there is no need for a thorough analysis. Merely consult this simple flowchart;

The location I'm in has imgur blocked. I can't see the flowchart Baman.
Jan 28, 2013 12:51 PM

Feb 2005
A pity. I even spent two minutes in paint making it. I will go over there and cry now.
Jan 28, 2013 12:52 PM

Jul 2012
Baman said:
A pity. I even spent two minutes in paint making it. I will go over there and cry now.

Don't cry. Instead, just tell me what the flowchart basically said.
Jan 28, 2013 1:09 PM

Jun 2011
Can you see it now?

Jan 28, 2013 2:12 PM

Jul 2012
I can see it now. I have not seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes. However, as of right now, I am convinced that Gurren Lagann is one of the greatest things ever to exist in all of media, so I'm not so sure Legend of the Galactic Heroes, at least as of right now, is the greatest the thing that defines quality. However, I may watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes and be proven wrong in the future, or just enjoy it thoroughly.
Jan 28, 2013 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
Battlechili1 said:
However, as of right now, I am convinced that Gurren Lagann is one of the greatest things ever to exist in all of media
If that's so, I think you should avoid it for now. LotGH is slow paced, serious, brutal, epic and utterly unforgiving to anyone not paying attention - but immensely rewarding and entertaining if you're looking for a mature series.

Jan 28, 2013 2:43 PM

Jul 2012
Maegil said:
Battlechili1 said:
However, as of right now, I am convinced that Gurren Lagann is one of the greatest things ever to exist in all of media
If that's so, I think you should avoid it for now. LotGH is slow paced, serious, brutal, epic and utterly unforgiving to anyone not paying attention - but immensely rewarding and entertaining if you're looking for a mature series.

I got through and thoroughly enjoyed Bakemonogatari, and it's slow paced and unforgiving to anyone who isn't paying attention.
Jan 28, 2013 3:00 PM

Nov 2011
Battlechili1 said:
I can see it now. I have not seen Legend of the Galactic Heroes. However, as of right now, I am convinced that Gurren Lagann is one of the greatest things ever to exist in all of media, so I'm not so sure Legend of the Galactic Heroes, at least as of right now, is the greatest the thing that defines quality. However, I may watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes and be proven wrong in the future, or just enjoy it thoroughly.

Hmmm I wonder if you even know the full extent of why Gurren Lagann is such a great series.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a reconstruction of the entire history of mecha, starting with The Seventies era of Super Robot anime with Kamina as the voice of the seventies, then came Nia and The Eighties "Real Robot" style storyline of The Empire vs the Rebels and The Nineties with the whole Evangelion deconstruction type era with Rossiu leading the way. TTGL is a trip through the Mecha Genre.

That is only part of it though. You have to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion and THEN watch Gurren Lagann to fully appreciate it. They are direct counters to eachother-

You've got Shinji, the wimpy protag who never gets anywhere and stays wimpy and pathetic because everyone tells him he's wimpy and pathetic.
Then you've got Simoun- Simoun, like Shinji, starts out wimpy and pathetic. However, unlike Shinji, Simoun has someone by his side- Not a megalomaniac father, but rather an older brother figure that stays strong while telling Simoun to believe not in him, but himself. It progresses throughout the first few episodes, starting with:
'Believe in the you that believes in me'
"Believe in the Kamina that believes in you"
"Believe in yourself- Not the you that believes in me, not the Kamina that believes in you, but the Simoun that believes in you."

These phrases seem totally absurd but they have a clear purpose that you don't get right away unless you know to look for it.

It makes you wonder what Shinji would have been like if he had someone like Kamina and the other friends Simoun gathered along the way. There's more, but I'll stop there.
AmberlehJan 28, 2013 3:07 PM
Jan 28, 2013 3:26 PM

Jul 2012
Amberleh said:
Battlechili1 said:

Hmmm I wonder if you even know the full extent of why Gurren Lagann is such a great series.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a reconstruction of the entire history of mecha, starting with The Seventies era of Super Robot anime with Kamina as the voice of the seventies, then came Nia and The Eighties "Real Robot" style storyline of The Empire vs the Rebels and The Nineties with the whole Evangelion deconstruction type era with Rossiu leading the way. TTGL is a trip through the Mecha Genre.

That is only part of it though. You have to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion and THEN watch Gurren Lagann to fully appreciate it. They are direct counters to eachother-

You've got Shinji, the wimpy protag who never gets anywhere and stays wimpy and pathetic because everyone tells him he's wimpy and pathetic.
Then you've got Simoun- Simoun, like Shinji, starts out wimpy and pathetic. However, unlike Shinji, Simoun has someone by his side- Not a megalomaniac father, but rather an older brother figure that stays strong while telling Simoun to believe not in him, but himself. It progresses throughout the first few episodes, starting with:
'Believe in the you that believes in me'
"Believe in the Kamina that believes in you"
"Believe in yourself- Not the you that believes in me, not the Kamina that believes in you, but the Simoun that believes in you."

These phrases seem totally absurd but they have a clear purpose that you don't get right away unless you know to look for it.

It makes you wonder what Shinji would have been like if he had someone like Kamina and the other friends Simoun gathered along the way. There's more, but I'll stop there.

I've seen the first 5 episodes of Evangelion, had a friend spoil most of Evangelion (with my permission), and have watched the movies Evangelion 1.11 and 2.22. I knew that it was a reconstruction anime based on a lot of mecha anime in the past, and I also knew that it was basically the opposite of Evangelion. I'm a huge Gainax fan. If they release a show, I'm interested, so I've looked this stuff up.
Jan 28, 2013 3:55 PM

Jun 2012
Maegil said:
Battlechili1 said:

I was once about to start LoGH

I was sick of random stuff I was watching at that time and that series came into mind.
As I was about to get the whole series, I read one of the top reviews of "My conquest is a sea of stars" and found this:

I know we have all had this conversation with ourselves: "Self, do I really want to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes? It is 110 episodes of admittedly slow, dialogue-heavy old anime. Is this something I really want to get into?"

I asked myself that question and pondered for about twenty minutes before deciding I'd watch it during darker times, and I watched Eve no jikan instead.

@battlechili
gotta see evangelion's original ending.
Jan 28, 2013 4:02 PM

Jul 2012
Valkyrion said:

@battlechili
gotta see evangelion's original ending.

I know. I want to so much.

@Amberleh If you meant thematically, Gurren Lagann is the opposite of Neon Genesis Evangelion. It presents a bleak hopeless future and has a wimpy, spineless child by the name of Shinji who must accept his reality and change it instead of running away from it. Gurren Lagann on the other hand gives off the idea that you must never give up and never let anything get you down, no matter how bad the circumstances. Shinji in Evangelion was so very "down". He was sad, mopy, wimpy, whiny, ect. Gurren Lagann moved away from this and tried to make one feel as if they could, well, do the impossible. It was thematically positive and idealistic in comparision to Eva's bleak and harsh reality.
Jan 28, 2013 4:58 PM

Feb 2005
Battlechili1 said:
I got through and thoroughly enjoyed Bakemonogatari, and it's slow paced and unforgiving to anyone who isn't paying attention.
Woa, wait, what? Bakemonogatari is slow paced? It's more that there's not really much happening at all because of all the dialogue, but otherwise it's not very slow.

Also, if you think NGE is bleak. Try Ideon. Huehuehue. Let's just say it was one of NGE's main inspirations, hell, NGE even did the same wtf-ending thing and then made a more understandable one in the movie.
Still, bleakest shit I ever saw has to be Texhnolyze and Sky Crawlers. The nihilism is overflowing in those. Delicious hopeless nihilism too, not the upbeat kind.
Jan 28, 2013 5:27 PM

Jan 2013
Valkyrion said:
I know we have all had this conversation with ourselves: "Self, do I really want to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes? It is 110 episodes of admittedly slow, dialogue-heavy old anime. Is this something I really want to get into?"

I asked myself that question and pondered for about twenty minutes before deciding I'd watch it during darker times, and I watched Eve no jikan instead.
Eve no Jikan has only six episodes of admittedly slow, dialogue-heavy CG-heavy anime... But wasn't it great?

In any case, LotGH isn't really dark - insofar as humanity itself isn't dark; if anything, I'd call it, and the philosophic, moral and politic dilemmas it presents, simply gray, as at no point there is a Manichean dichotomy to the factions involved (except, maybe for one). The question isn't "evil against good", but more simply "us (and our interests) against them".
If some characters try to present such view, they know that they are trying to manipulate others' opinions with sophistries and rhetorics; it's not that they necessarily believe it.

Jan 29, 2013 1:33 AM

Jun 2012
Maegil said:
Valkyrion said:

Eve no Jikan has only six episodes of admittedly slow, dialogue-heavy CG-heavy anime... But wasn't it great?

In any case, LotGH isn't really dark - insofar as humanity itself isn't dark; if anything, I'd call it, and the philosophic, moral and politic dilemmas it presents, simply gray, as at no point there is a Manichean dichotomy to the factions involved (except, maybe for one). The question isn't "evil against good", but more simply "us (and our interests) against them".
If some characters try to present such view, they know that they are trying to manipulate others' opinions with sophistries and rhetorics; it's not that they necessarily believe it.

I found Eve no jikan pretty light and easy to watch. Maybe the episodes weren't long enough for it to be heavy.. it treated its material with simplicity yet in a subtle fashion which made it a really wonderful experience.

I didn't call LoGH dark (how would I, not having seen it?), I just said I'd leave it for "darker times" - Times when I'll be really sick of recent anime and feel like needing something totally different, I want to be ready for it when it comes to me.. or whatever I don't even know if it makes sense
Jan 29, 2013 4:26 AM

Feb 2005
Will, it is a major undertaking, so there's no point forcing yourself, then you wouldn't enjoy it. You can always test it out by watching the movies first though.
Just not Golden Wings. Golden Wings is...different.
We don't talk about Golden Wings.
Jan 29, 2013 4:37 AM

Jan 2013
Baman said:
We don't talk about Golden Wings.
Of course we do - but always bad.
If LotGH were an award-winning cow, Golden wings would be the pus from a mastitic teat.
MaegilJan 29, 2013 4:43 AM

Jan 29, 2013 4:42 AM

Apr 2012
Should I have watched the movie first before diving into LoGH? Or does it not matter what order you watch it?
Jan 29, 2013 4:51 AM

Jan 2013
Start with My Conquest is a Sea of Stars - this isn't really necessary, but it'll follow the timeline, introduce you to some of the main characters and put you in the mood.
Overture to a New War is how the series should have started, and is a remake of the first 1 1/2 episodes with more background and detail.
Finally go to the series. You may even skip the first 1 1/2 episodes if you watched the above.
MaegilFeb 2, 2013 12:37 PM

Jan 29, 2013 7:34 AM

Aug 2009
Yes, I think one should start start with the movies. Of course, it's possible jump into the main series right away, but I think watching the movies first enhances the experience and introduces you to the characters in a more seamless way (if that makes any sense).

One of LOGH reviewers suggested watching in this order (and I agree with him):

LOGH My conquest is the Sea Of the Stars
LOGH Overture to a New War
LOGH 110 OVA (the main Series)
LOGH Gaiden 1 and 2 (prequels focusing on Reinhard and Yang respectively)
Jan 29, 2013 8:03 AM

Jan 2013
The gaiden isn't really part of the saga, but should rather be viewed separately for more character background after finishing the series.

Jan 29, 2013 8:49 AM

Aug 2009
I know, that's why I chose to refer to those OVAs as "Gaiden". As someone once said to me, "when you finish the series and want more LOGH, that's when you should watch those prequels". And since I'm close to finishing the main OVA, I intend to do just that.
Feb 2, 2013 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
I have bad taste...and I should feel bad :(
Feb 2, 2013 12:19 PM

Sep 2012
Battlechili1 said:

I love both Gurren Lagann and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. They both give off a feeling of grand epicness, but in very different ways.
Feb 2, 2013 1:16 PM

Feb 2012
I shall be judged.
Feb 2, 2013 6:27 PM

Jan 2013
hax1dent:
You seem to like violent, gory anime with a lot of fights. That's not bad, boys will be boys and all that, but apparently you like them to the exclusion of other genres - or, to say it better, you have an extremely low amount of any other genres in your list.
While I'm not saying you should abandon what you like, I'd suggest you widen your watching pattern; try something you know to be good but still think might bore you - if you manage to avoid thinking it lacks fights, you might be in for a surprise.

Also, you appear to have some difficulty rating the anime. To spread your scores, start by looking at your 10s and lower the score of anything that isn't one of your absolute top favorites. Then, move to the nines, the eights, and so on. What you'll get is a list that shows your true critical standards - it'll still need tweaking, maybe repeating the process another couple of times both downwards and upwards, but it'll help you immensely to score new series (all you have to do is compare its quality to what you already scored).

Feb 3, 2013 12:11 AM

Nov 2011
Could you judge my tastes, please.
Feb 3, 2013 12:28 AM

Oct 2012
bobiczdoh said:
Could you judge my tastes, please.

I sort of resent the fact that you dropped Brotherhood after 6 episodes. That's like an 1/11th of the show.

You need to watch more shows (just like me). Props on watching Haibane Renmei though. Not a bad list though. Just need to expand it. . . And pick up Brotherhood again.
Feb 3, 2013 3:52 AM

Jan 2013
Zylixae:
You obviously put some thought into your scores, score individual seasons of the same season on their own merits, and don't get carried away by trends. While making use of the whole scoring spectrum, I did found your list to be a bit top-heavy, but still within the limits of acceptable.
In general, yours is a pretty good list.
MaegilFeb 3, 2013 4:08 AM

Feb 3, 2013 4:06 AM

Jan 2013
bobiczdoh:
You have watched a good variety of anime, try to give fair scores, and use the whole scoring spectrum. Unfortunately, your critical skills are still rather immature, so you end up emotionally over-scoring stuff that, if you analyzed more closely, don't really have so much merit.
I'd also recommend you to do what I said to hax1dent to reassess your list.

Feb 3, 2013 4:27 AM

Oct 2012
Alright, I feel up for it now.

Judge my list!

Although, could my judge(s) recommend me anime afterwards? I'm looking for something after I crown LOGH as my 100th anime title.
Feb 3, 2013 4:38 AM

Apr 2012
@ Ducat

Too generous with ratings.

Suggestion: Shiki
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.