Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2014 4:42 AM

Oct 2013
dam.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
May 15, 2014 4:07 AM
Feb 2014
Oh wow... that was one heck of a crazy ride o.o... Finished the series in 3 days, which is longer than i expected xp

Ah, I wished it had ended happy... i mean, seriously, after all the stuff he's done, no happy ever after for Simon?

And NIA!!! T.T... I mean, I wasn't her greatest fan, but, she also went thru a load of crap... i mean, everyone even put all their strength to come save u, n u still disappeared T.T... but at least she lasted long enough to get married and b happy at the end...

And I feel kinda sad for Yoko... her two loved ones died after confessing, and she's just gonna grow old being an old spinster principal of an elementary school on an island... -_-...

Well, overall, I guess I'm a little dissatisfied with how everyone ended up... but I can't deny that that ending was AWESOME (loved the part where smaller Gurren Laganns were popping out each time the bigger body was held back)

Also, I guess this bittersweet ending kinda suits Gurren Lagann... it does feel like a complete and fittig conclusion for this mad show.

Overall, a 9/10 frm me for now.

AnimeFanFTW25 said:
StormSky92 said:
Well, that was a series. I'll be that guy and say it was overrated. Again, another series that we overhyped for me for years before I watched it. I really liked parts of it, but hated others. I'm not a huge fan of the over-the-top nature of it towards the end. I liked the beginning of the second arc when it actually got really serious. But that ending was just too much for me. I had no idea what was going on after episode 26. Power levels with nothing and just because a giant clusterf*** of colors. Still generally liked it though, just not as much as everyone else, apparently.

Final Ratings:
+Great characters
+Unique animation
+A generally "fun" series
+Nia
+/-The overall story
-Insanely over-the-top
-Villains in first arc get no real character development
-Ending just went nuts
Final Score: 8/10

To be fair, it was insanely over-the-top for a reason. The whole anime was stupid. But it was stupidly entertaining. If the ending wasn't insanely over-the-top, I wouldn't have liked the ending at all.

Funny, if taking into account the series as a whole, i actually consider the 'over-the-top' aspect of the show a positive. Or at least, something to be expected when watching a fun anime. Similarly, I also think the ending is a plus. I mean, as stupid and illogical as it sounds to throw galaxies at each other, the idea is beyond epic and hilariously fun.
The most annoying thing about some anime is that they don't know when they've died...
May 15, 2014 4:12 AM

Sep 2013
The greatest finale I have ever seen in anything; not just anime.
Time is money, but money won't turn back the clock.
May 26, 2014 12:33 PM

Sep 2013
Why did Nia diseappear? Wasnt she Genome's daughter? If so, then how did she become antispiral? Did they possess her?
Jun 1, 2014 7:32 PM

Sep 2013
Mjolnersson said:
Why did Nia diseappear? Wasnt she Genome's daughter? If so, then how did she become antispiral? Did they possess her?

She was born normally but when the population limit was reached, the Anti-Spiral data awakened within her and permanently converted her into an Anti-Spiral virtual life form, serving as the Anti Spirals' emissary/messenger in charge of Earth's Human Extermination System.
Although she is saved, the Anti-Spiral's death makes Nia fade away because her existence as a program is dependent on the Anti-Spiral Race, but she lasts long enough through sheer willpower to spend time with and marry Simon before vanishing.

Also Simon doesn't bring her or anybody else back because he does not want become a God.
Simon - "the dead should stay dead".
Jun 10, 2014 11:06 PM

Aug 2011
I'm utterly speechless. I've never felt that much thrill from any anime or show before.

Unforgettable characters, unforgettable journey.
Jun 11, 2014 8:34 PM

Jan 2013
I've been putting off this anime for so long and I never believed the hype about this show would be justified; oh was I wrong. Top 10 anime for me. I'll definitely watch the movies in a year or so to relive some awesomeness.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 13, 2014 8:39 PM

Dec 2010
This was an epic episode. Everything about it was awesome, except for Nia disappearing. I mean it makes sense, but still that doesn't mean I have to like it! But she did look really pretty in her wedding dress! I also like the fact that there was an epilogue. Just a couple of minutes for an epilogue in an anime can really make the whole experience better. Because I was left wanting after the wedding.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. I can see why so many people like it. It reminds me a lot of Eureka Seven, just not quite as good. But it was over the top, and full of great quotes! The first arc was arguably my least favorite, but as the series went on, it got better and better. The final arc was fantastic, and caused me to raise my score quite a bit.

I give the series an 8.5/10
Jun 15, 2014 9:01 PM

Nov 2010
For the episode: 3/5
I wasn't feeling the final battle and here I thought I was accustomed to the over the top nature of the action already XD but the time skips at the end totally made up for it.I really don't like how nia dissapeared and Simon being totally fine with it.

For the show 8.5/10

just a couple gripes here and there,I wish kamiya didn't die but I know that would screw up Simons developement,also some of the secondary gurren lagann members didn't get as fleshed out and became forgettable to me.

Despite my score,Gurren Lagann now has the liberty of being in my top three mostly because that it's the only mecha that that I've got the most kicked out of.
The_Nut_CrackerJun 15, 2014 9:19 PM
Jun 20, 2014 1:11 AM

Aug 2011
This is the third episode tonight that made me shed a tear. It's just so powerful. And Nia... Oh Nia. I loved her as a character and I thought she was the cutest in the beginning. To see her go, especially after making it so far as to save the Spirals, breaks my heart. One of the reasons why I'm sad besides the show ending is because these characters have lost loved ones. But I understand that sacrifices had to be made.

There were some flaws in the show that just didn't make sense. As soon as the time skip started, the story got more complex and sorta hard to catch up on. Many questions even before the time skip due to illogical things but that's what this show goes by and I got used to it.

I gotta say that the Anti-Spirals were REALLY creepy. It's like something you'd find in some depressing manga or something or a horror one. Ugh. And just their beings preserved in a state like that. Man, that's disturbing.

I loved how Simon passed on his power to Gimmy due to his upcoming generation. Simon has done his part and now it's time for the kids of their time to take over.

You really cling onto characters and not just know their personality but make that emotional connection about them. I don't know what I'm blabbering about but that's just how I feel.

And I do have to admit that the battle wasn't really that good..? Am I the only one here? I guess I've been fed up with so much Gurren Lagann fights that I've just found it distasteful. Or maybe it really wasn't that good. Hmm.

Still I'd give this a 10/10
Jun 23, 2014 2:05 PM

Oct 2013
Holy shit that ending! Emotional roller coaster all over! Why can't Simon have had at least a happy ending with Nia? :(

The pacing was okay all throughout. Overall awesome show! definitely needs a 10!
Jun 27, 2014 2:03 PM
Aug 2013
Damn.
That was just, that was just..

EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Jun 30, 2014 1:58 PM

Apr 2013
Listening to the soundtrack only makes me wanna watch it again.
THE HYPE!!

The finale was just too epic. The scale of the last stand battle was epic. And it had one of the best conclusions I've seen.

TTGL - Forever one of the best anime.
Jul 6, 2014 6:03 PM

Apr 2014
This was awesome. I got shivers down my spine, simply epic.
your waifu is shit
Jul 11, 2014 1:03 PM
May 2011
great show

i thought it was weird that simon could just hand over the core drill and anyone could use it though.

i mean throughout the entire series Simon was the only one able to do absurd stuff with it.
Jul 19, 2014 2:59 AM

Sep 2013
Hard to believe they were able to tell this story in only 27 episodes.

Epic is the best word to this anime.

Too bad Simon and Nia couldn't be happy. The man deserved at least that after all he did. Anyway, it was a really good anime nonetheless.
Jul 30, 2014 12:31 AM

Sep 2013
Pffffffffff.
This show was totally awesome. I regret not having watch this before.
The characters grew very deep on me.
However, the last part was just too anticlimactic.

It is one of the best things I have watch in a long time, but 9/10 for me, as some bits left me indifferent, and because that ending.
Aug 2, 2014 12:46 AM

Apr 2014
Woot finished this series! Very epic! Good thing I didn't drop the series, it was definitely worth the watch :D

I'm pretty sad how Simon wasn't be able to spend his life with Nia though :(
ChimeraBlitz007Aug 2, 2014 12:52 AM
Aug 3, 2014 8:07 PM

Sep 2013
So much emotion in that episodes, epic series.
Aug 14, 2014 10:25 AM
Jun 2013
Freaking AWESOME last battle. This is indeed a great series.Throwing logic to the wind and having a ball with it. Overall it was a happy ending but why couldint nia live dammit :(. That kinda chocked me up. I would have to say though out of the main cast kamina didint leave much impact for me but he did fill his role perfectly as the launcher for simon. Yoko was just ok and I personally felt she got much better after kaminas death,but overall just ok. Simon and Nia to me were the best of the main cast. Alot of the side cast did a awesome job as well.

Sad to see the show end but at least it ended on a high note....just still sad about nia really liked her.At least her and simon had that time skip to be together.
souledge94Aug 14, 2014 10:33 AM
Aug 23, 2014 9:30 PM

Jul 2014
10/10 One of those anime that you absolutely must watch!
Aug 23, 2014 10:36 PM

Jul 2013
i don't even know what to say, this fucked me up severely

10/10 from me for now - maybe it'll go down to 9 in the future upon reflection.

i still miss kamina and the show would have been great with him, but yoko was also an amazing character and kittan and pretty much everyone - even the side characters. the show took what it had and made it excellent.

in the end i dont even know who my favorite character is anymore. somewhere between kamina, yoko, and kittan. i think i'm going to go with kamina for now because of the amount i feelings i get just thinking about him, and the fact that he made this anime so legendary without even being alive for the majority of it. i mentioned in a much earlier episode that i hoped the series would carry on his spirit and it definitely did which is definitely part of why i love this so much.
ChanaynayAug 23, 2014 10:41 PM
Aug 25, 2014 11:45 PM
Dec 2013
WoW !! Unbelievable ending!
Loved the last episode and the series in general!
Only question ,, Why would Simon just leave everything, friends, drill, everything!?!?
It was already proven how amazing a leader he can be, which would have been even more useful in "unifying the spiral races."
Just felt like an unneeded "im going to be a loner badass moment" to me.
Aug 31, 2014 10:56 AM
May 2012
Sidholun said:
Ending of TTGL reminds ME3 ending.
Crappy and disappointing.
They tried to make it dramatic but it didn't worked well in my opinion. It was just forced and didn't fit.
Of course it's my opinion.

What a shitty opinion.
Sep 6, 2014 4:07 AM

Dec 2012
Damn...Gurren Lagann Evolution is Limitless
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann EPIC as fuck those flames WOWOWOW!
At first I thought this show is boring but now just WOW!
I'll rate it 9/10 -1 Because of those recaps & useless scenes..

Sep 8, 2014 12:41 AM

Jun 2014
At first was very hesitant on this series because of the first two episodes, was on my hold for months. Very glad i put it back on great series. After the time skip in episode 17 the series went way uphill imo from a 6-7 to a 9-10. Sad about Simon and Yoko though, forever alone literally..
Sep 12, 2014 3:21 PM
Apr 2014
Just... how am i supposed to rate this series? MAL should put this on 11/10, even a fcking ∞/10 wouldn't be enough.

Im so sad this ended...

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Sep 14, 2014 12:37 AM

Nov 2011
Overall, the ending did not disappoint. I won't bother nitpicking in this thread. I'm definitely glad that I powered through the first few episodes of this series: Kamina's death and Nia's introduction helped push me into the series once I reached them and the story in general improved with the time skip.

While I'll likely end up rating this a 7 or 8, my enjoyment maxed out. It was a really fun series. If the appeal and "residual awesomeness" sticks with me I might even add it to my favorites.

If someone told past me that I'd enjoy it this much, I'm not sure if I'd have believed them!

Good job Dai-Gurren, Gurren Lagann. You did well.
Sep 14, 2014 4:55 PM

Aug 2012
A list of my reactions in order of occurrences:

"Dude, Simon, you're a total badass..."
"Universe Creation Technique goin' down here..."
"Holy shit, that final blow, good God..."
"You mess with humanity, you get the drill... bitch."
"Happy ending! Humanity is saved!"
"Nia, you look amazing in that dress!"
"Happy wedding, you two!"
"Wait... Nia, where are you going!?"
"NO, NIA CAN'T BE GONE!"
"...fuck."
"Woah, they all got oooollllldddd..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"...why the fuck did they kill off Nia?"
"..."
"..."
"...damn you, Gainax..."

It was an awesome episode up until they killed off Nia. As a series, 9/10. Wished the ending was a happy one.
Sep 14, 2014 5:59 PM
Sep 2014
DoomTheWiseWolf said:

"NO, NIA CAN'T BE GONE!"
"...fuck."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"...damn you, Gainax..."

It was an awesome episode up until they killed off Nia. As a series, 9/10. Wished the ending was a happy one.

Ya as soon as Nia disappeared I got really angry and depressed. I felt the same way about the ending. I feel like the sadness actually detracted from the amazing show they otherwise had. It just felt unnecessary to me, I just feel like it was a slap in the face for watching the whole series.

And honestly if possible, considering he saved the entire universe, Simon should have been allowed to try and resurrect Nia especially. And why did they all need to end up lonely? What was the need to put such a damper on the ending?

I'm just sad now and I'm going to watch something to make me happy... any suggestions?
Sep 14, 2014 6:01 PM

Jan 2009
bluntiot said:

I'm just sad now and I'm going to watch something to make me happy... any suggestions?

watch Kill la Kill its made by the same people who made Gurren Lagann
Sep 16, 2014 2:00 AM

Aug 2013
that was just holy shit i fucken luved every second
Yo
Sep 19, 2014 8:52 AM
Feb 2013
bluntiot said:
DoomTheWiseWolf said:

"NO, NIA CAN'T BE GONE!"
"...fuck."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"...damn you, Gainax..."

Ya as soon as Nia disappeared I got really angry and depressed. I felt the same way about the ending. I feel like the sadness actually detracted from the amazing show they otherwise had. It just felt unnecessary to me, I just feel like it was a slap in the face for watching the whole series.

And honestly if possible, considering he saved the entire universe, Simon should have been allowed to try and resurrect Nia especially. And why did they all need to end up lonely? What was the need to put such a damper on the ending?

In reality Simon said it multiple times that he's doing this for his people. Everything he went through was so people didn't have to live underground. I think the main part is that sacrifices had to be made. (Kamina, nia, lord genome) for the general good. Even Simon gave up his lagann in the end remember he realized that he wouldn't ever need it agian
Sep 20, 2014 4:17 AM

Nov 2013
Sasuga Gainax.
You all need to watch Nami.

Sep 21, 2014 7:32 AM

Aug 2014
Mind-blowing
Oct 8, 2014 6:51 AM

Apr 2014

10/10
Oct 9, 2014 9:51 AM

Jun 2014
One of the most intense final episode I have ever seen, damn!!!
Oct 12, 2014 2:07 PM

Feb 2014
So amazing! Awesomeness, followed by joy and happiness, followed by sadness, followed by hope and...just wonderment!

I'm gutted its over. But what a beautifully badass story they told here!
Oct 20, 2014 6:30 AM

Aug 2014
Manly tears were shed
100/10
Oct 20, 2014 8:28 AM

Sep 2014
Just finished the show. What can I say like everybody I felt both happy and sad. My emotions took a roller coaster ride.

Loved the show. It was a bitter sweet ending for me.
Oct 22, 2014 9:36 PM

Sep 2012
Hahhahah

THAT was a final episode to PIERCE THE HEAVENS! (or create the heavens?)

Who knows, but dang that was exactly what I needed from that kind of show.

gg Gurren Lagann, gg
Oct 29, 2014 8:57 PM

Jan 2009
saifmohammed said:

Are the movies just condensed versions of the series or do they differ from the series?

the first movie only has like 15 minutes of new content on the last part of the movie while the second movie remakes the ending arc of the series into a more epic way, i highly recommend the second movie but you got to watch at least the new footage on the first movie
Oct 29, 2014 10:01 PM

Jan 2009
saifmohammed said:
j0x said:

the first movie only has like 15 minutes of new content on the last part of the movie while the second movie remakes the ending arc of the series into a more epic way, i highly recommend the second movie but you got to watch at least the new footage on the first movie

Thats interesting, the ending made even more epic? I have to watch this..

yep just watch the 2 movies especially the 2nd movie to see more epicness
Nov 3, 2014 9:12 PM

Sep 2012
Amazing series. Sucks Nia disappeared.
Nov 4, 2014 8:46 AM
Oct 2014
If you take laws of the modern physics into account, the battle took millions of years to complete.
Nov 9, 2014 8:15 AM

Aug 2014
Overall I think this is one of the best anime series I have ever seen. No other anime has given me all sorts of emotions all the way through.

The ending has to be my favourite part, just the most perfect way to end the series. This is the kind of anime I would watch many times and never get tired of it, along with Cowboy Bebop and samurai champloo.
Nov 11, 2014 7:19 PM

Sep 2014
So what was the thing at the start of the first episode all about?
Nov 11, 2014 7:22 PM

Jan 2009
notsomacho said:
So what was the thing at the start of the first episode all about?

its just an alternate foreshadowing thing of Simon becoming badass on later parts of the story
Nov 16, 2014 10:16 AM
Jul 2014
j0x said:
saifmohammed said:

Are the movies just condensed versions of the series or do they differ from the series?

Welp I know what I'm going to be watching next.
Nov 22, 2014 10:50 PM

Sep 2014
and thats how you make a proper ending... Bittersweet, with no loose ends and didnt make you think of "the what-ifs, should-haves, and if-onlys" Just love every second of this anime.... 10/10
Pages (24) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.