Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 1, 2007 12:25 PM

Sep 2007
I wanna marry Nia!!!

Only a couple of words put together could possibly describe how I felt: TOTALLY FRICKIN FANTASTICAL ***** AWESOME.

10/10
Oct 1, 2007 12:29 PM
Jun 2007
I think some of you people are grossly overrating this show.

Trevor (OP)
Oct 1, 2007 12:34 PM

Jul 2007
Not really over-rated. maybe you missed out on it, but so far from what I can see people felt the same way as me. While I watched it I felt excitement and all that kind of stuff beyond how I've felt before etc.

Plus chucking galaxies at each other is cool. XD

Melancholic end, but appropriate. Nia ='(. Very happy with the ending. XD
Oct 1, 2007 12:42 PM
Jun 2007
Ive read several 10/10 and a couple..."It's the best anime ever" I'd say thats touted as overrated. I actually finished the series the other day. Its a very solid 7 nothing more.
Seriously i could go on for pages with prime examples on why this show should never received a 10/10
But to each their own i suppose

Trevor (OP)
Oct 1, 2007 12:44 PM

Jul 2007
Utterly perfect......

Only thing to wait for now is the OST and the DS game..........ahhhh joys.
Oct 1, 2007 12:56 PM
Jul 2007
Amazing anime. No words can describe its awesomeness
Oct 1, 2007 1:09 PM
Jul 2007
Kyocool said:
Ive read several 10/10 and a couple..."It's the best anime ever" I'd say thats touted as overrated. I actually finished the series the other day. Its a very solid 7 nothing more.
Seriously i could go on for pages with prime examples on why this show should never received a 10/10

Trevor (OP)

PERHAPS THE SAME COULD BE SAID OF ALL ANIME~
Oct 1, 2007 1:13 PM

Jun 2007
Kyocool said:

Trevor (OP)

And I could go on for pages with prime examples on why this should should recieve a 10/10. Its called an opinion. I'm perfectly aware not everyone has the same taste. But a good 90% of the viewers claim this show to be 10/10 material. And I do believe that says something.
Oct 1, 2007 1:56 PM
Jun 2007
mulderman said:
Kyocool said:

Trevor (OP)

And I could go on for pages with prime examples on why this should should recieve a 10/10. Its called an opinion. I'm perfectly aware not everyone has the same taste. But a good 90% of the viewers claim this show to be 10/10 material. And I do believe that says something.

In all fairness the same people on this site hold Lucky star to almost the same thing so i would take everything read with a big ol grain of salt.
Also 90% huh? Where did you find those exact facts might you care to show me?
Because im fairly sure this show doesn't even have a 9 rating. So its impossible for 90% to vote 10/10.

Edit- please i would love to hear several prime examples of why this show deserves a 10

Trevor (OP)
Oct 1, 2007 3:15 PM

Nov 2006
Kyo, mulder. Not in here please, share that by each other's PM.

I loved it, just the Nia & Episode 1's Intro :'(.....

PS: Does anyone know where or even when the OST of GL is ever coming out? >_>; *can't find that "fight dah powah"(whatever you call it) D:!!!!
Oct 1, 2007 4:00 PM

May 2007
Great show. It was definitely an amazing and epic ride.

I don't know about you, but the fact that they killed of Kamina was a double-edged sword. While the fact that they did was definitely totally unexpected and a great twist, in doing so, they killed of their most creative, hilarious, best character of the show. I found the first 9 episodes or so (when he was alive) to be much more entertaining then the second half when Kamina wasn't around.

After awhile, you got the sense that Simon seemed way too powerful for anyone to have a threat upon him. But the battles nevertheless, were epic in their own right.

And what the hell? What that Anti-spiral guy throwing galaxies around as weapons? Wtf? Haha.

Oh, btw, the characters in the 20-year time jump looked ugly as hell. They all looked like they were in their 50s. I mean, they all should be around mid-30's - they won't look THAT old. And nooooooooooooooooo - why did Yoko have to get old too!? *Tear*

Final rating - 8/10
Oct 1, 2007 5:47 PM

Sep 2007
Yoko is a MILF.
Oct 1, 2007 6:37 PM

Jul 2007
Nice, very nice to put it simply.
The series as a whole was highly enjoyable. There was ups and there was down but that comes with any anime.
One of the thing that Gurren Lagann did extremely well is pacing. It hardly lingered around a certain point for too long while having something to kick it up a notch. In the end, the beginning seem like a distant memory.
Along with that and other things like being highly re-watchable, it gets a 10 from me or a the very least a very high 9 point something. Its re-watchable to the point that I can compare to how I rewatched Dragon Ball Z back in the day.

And to the debate of either this deserve a 10 or not is moot to me since I see two ways to get a ten. One is like how I described it above with Gurren Laggann and the other is like how Mushishi pulled it off. Both completely different anime but still manage to pulla 10/10 from me.
Meh.
Oct 1, 2007 7:32 PM

Apr 2007
Great series and episode, too bad Nia's gone though =[.

I enjoyed it very much anyways :D
Oct 1, 2007 8:20 PM
Jul 2007
Ah that was a great run.
Oct 1, 2007 8:36 PM

Nov 2006
NietonoNoShana said:

PS: Does anyone know where or even when the OST of GL is ever coming out? >_>; *can't find that "fight dah powah"(whatever you call it) D:!!!!
October 3rd :>
Oct 1, 2007 11:14 PM

Jul 2007
I'm just wondering how they managed to cram all of Nia's hair into that bun >.<. Definitely a 10/10 non-over-rated series of the true meaning of EPIC.
Oct 1, 2007 11:42 PM

Aug 2007
I get the feeling alot of people here don't know what overrated means.
Overrated is when alot of people say that something's really great, when they in fact haven't seen alot of other animes/whatever and don't really have much to base that opinion on in reality.
However, I think most people browsing this forum (actually most people who frequent mal) have seen alot of animes, which would make the statement that this is overrated moot.
This is alot of peoples honest opinion after having seen alot of different animes, deal with it :P.

Thanks De-Jay for my claim picture : ).
Oct 2, 2007 5:14 AM

Nov 2006
windy said:
NietonoNoShana said:

October 3rd :>
:> coolz, u bettah b baying mi the OST nao!
Oct 2, 2007 10:51 AM
Jul 2007
Epic episode.

Epic series.

Anime of the year.

And don't listen to what kyo has to say, the fool rated FMA a 7 for fucks sake.
KazeOct 2, 2007 10:58 AM
Oct 2, 2007 11:07 AM
Jun 2007
Skarith said:
I get the feeling alot of people here don't know what overrated means.
Overrated is when alot of people say that something's really great, when they in fact haven't seen alot of other animes/whatever and don't really have much to base that opinion on in reality.
However, I think most people browsing this forum (actually most people who frequent mal) have seen alot of animes, which would make the statement that this is overrated moot.
This is alot of peoples honest opinion after having seen alot of different animes, deal with it :P.

I'm not trying to discredit your statement but i did browse through to see if the people who gave it such a high score have seen "lots" of anime (in which case i was going to apologize as much as i would have hated to do that) But almost everyone of them have seen less than 150 rather it be specials movies or actualy tv series. ( i just looked @ their total count not an individual statt) So i wouldn't say everyone who frequents mal has watched "alot" of anime. But then again i suppose its more so about what you consider "alot" =P

NOTE- Please dont think im trying to bash this series because im really not. I gave it a very solid 7 almost an 8. I just feel this will turn along the lines of death note and lucky star. A pretty decent show that just garners entirely way too much attention.
Oct 2, 2007 12:59 PM
Aug 2007
someone please post the sub file. The tracker for the torrent is down.
Oct 2, 2007 1:08 PM

Jun 2007
The OST is indeed awesome! Flooding my mp3 player with it atm hehe
Oct 2, 2007 1:21 PM

Jul 2007
Damn torrent is going SLOOOOOWWWW!!!!!

IS THE OPERA ON IT!? I MUST KNOW!!!

Edit: Yes it is I have it now, and I am loving it.
tree56Oct 2, 2007 2:00 PM
Oct 2, 2007 2:12 PM

Oct 2007
i guys whats up i'm new this show rocks!! wish there was more though
Oct 2, 2007 4:20 PM

Sep 2007
One of the best EPIC anime ever

Thanks Gainax

Oct 3, 2007 2:42 AM
Jun 2007
EPIC BEAUTY.

Speechless.

BTW, the plural form of anime is anime. Not animes. -_-

Oct 3, 2007 4:45 AM

Aug 2007
Pure golden GAR, this is for sure one of my favourite series.
oh and btw about ep 1 opening afaik it was just a tribute to the intro of Capitain Harlock's Arcadia of my Youth... not 100% sure, but it should be.
Needs to fix this sometime but I'm lazy - since 11/05/2009
Oct 3, 2007 11:46 AM

May 2007
I know this anime is meni much GAR but wow 50 replies? Lol. TTGL ftw~
Oct 3, 2007 3:06 PM
Jul 2007
some anime shows this season were epic (seto no hanayome)

but gurrenn lagann....

i know its naive and foolish to wish for more and ruin a beautiful ending
but animes of total gayness like naruto are at like 250 where so many shows are left at 52 or 26(probably why they are so good )

at this point i dont care i want more
and i seriously want more

ive like never had any problem when it came to real life but now gurren lagann is everywhere in my head consuming all other meaningless thoughts.

LIKE CMON it was genious

episode one was a quick scene of the future then it starts off to such a small concept like a small under ground village

and BAM 27 is like INTER uber nubscause galaxy war attack rawr rawr

i love you gurren lagann :'(
Oct 3, 2007 4:21 PM

Mar 2007
Definitely the best series of the year.

Oct 3, 2007 5:50 PM

Jun 2007
omg... i.. im gonna miss is so F***in much!!! Its one of the best BEST BEST freaking anime i have ever seen!!!! T___T respect to gurren lagann!!!
That ending was... so so so soooo awesome. I just dont know what to say!
(who the hell didnt like the ending O_o)

Oct 4, 2007 12:21 PM
Aug 2007
Finally got my hands on the subs.

Man this episode was fucking awesome. Felt sorry for Simon though. Hope Gainax makes another anime as good as this, or even better.
Oct 5, 2007 1:45 PM

Aug 2007
I just finished watching this series... what can I say?
I loved every bit of it. right now.. TTGL is my favourite series.
Oct 7, 2007 10:38 PM

Jun 2007
Holy freaking God. I'm absolutely blown away by this show. Most epic thing I have ever seen. Freaking incredible.
Oct 7, 2007 11:16 PM

Jul 2007
DeViLZaBuZa said:
some anime shows this season were epic (seto no hanayome)

but gurrenn lagann....

i know its naive and foolish to wish for more and ruin a beautiful ending
but animes of total gayness like naruto are at like 250 where so many shows are left at 52 or 26(probably why they are so good )

at this point i dont care i want more
and i seriously want more

ive like never had any problem when it came to real life but now gurren lagann is everywhere in my head consuming all other meaningless thoughts.

LIKE CMON it was genious

episode one was a quick scene of the future then it starts off to such a small concept like a small under ground village

and BAM 27 is like INTER uber nubscause galaxy war attack rawr rawr

i love you gurren lagann :'(

yeah it's awesome, but to get around this, start watching different anime, like, other short series, not like naruto which reeks of mediocrity :( generally i find that watching say 6 26eps anime is much better than watching 1 150ep anime.. >.<
Oct 8, 2007 2:00 AM

Nov 2004
watched 16-27 last week,finally picking it up again, what can i say ? you all love it heh me; well it was a good one, can't deny that that, bit incredible at times though =P
Oct 8, 2007 8:56 PM

Apr 2007
Very satisfying conclusion. I applaud GAINAX for not screwing things up for once when it comes to a finale.
Oct 10, 2007 7:53 PM

Apr 2007
The show was beautiful the whole way through and never dissapointed = TENGEN TOPPA GURREN-LAGANN!!!!
Oct 16, 2007 4:15 PM

May 2007
WHO THE **** DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
Oct 18, 2007 6:28 AM

Aug 2007
Two people have voted hated it! Ehhh?! I'm putting those down to misclicks, surely!

Oct 19, 2007 1:52 PM
Sep 2007
This anime have evreything. =] Even a nice ending!
Oct 19, 2007 9:18 PM
Sep 2007
Nice? But Nia...vanished! :[ How is that nice? And Yoko got wrinkles! That's blasphemy...!
Oct 21, 2007 7:36 AM

Aug 2007
I voted I hated it. It's everything Gainax, put in a blender, and I don't like Gainax. Cliches and caricatures everywhere. Ecchi. Action worthy of Saturday morning cartoons. Well, I just can't enjoy a show without at least a modicum of intelligence in it. I'm annoyed because I kept watching it even though I didn't like it because of all you folks telling me how great it was.
Oct 21, 2007 11:09 AM

Jul 2007
It was ok, but I didn't like the battle "I throw galaxy at you!!'' <-WTF HE THROWED A FUCKING GALAXY AT ME?!?#!?!"#?"!¤#! How the hell he even can touch the fucking galaxy :S And this stupid my power is bigger than yours laser battle. :( From the point of where Kamina died the show has been so fucking boring and stupid, these new stupid looking star costumes (what they got from few episodes ago) crowned the whole shit. Well okay, this beats easily DBZ and My-Otome but there is still so much stuff I don't, like example if there would have no Nia and more comedy it would have been a lot better. :S
Oct 21, 2007 11:35 AM

Aug 2007
Well, I'd agree with you if by comedy you mean things like the first time Gurren-Lagann "combined."
Oct 21, 2007 12:40 PM
Oct 2007
waterfalls said:
I voted I hated it. It's everything Gainax, put in a blender, and I don't like Gainax. Cliches and caricatures everywhere. Ecchi. Action worthy of Saturday morning cartoons. Well, I just can't enjoy a show without at least a modicum of intelligence in it. I'm annoyed because I kept watching it even though I didn't like it because of all you folks telling me how great it was.

You're clearly oversimplifying the show's narrative construction, an element that went beyond the usual degree in animation to a level of satisfying symbolic progress and good storytelling. It's really a show that despite not being perfect manages to transcend the medium and becomes worthy of literary analysis. And yes, I'm willing to debate this if I must.

As for the final battle, it's mostly a conjunction of far-fetched quantum pseudo-science, figurative experimentation and creative animation... probably my favorite sequence out of the entire series.

Oct 21, 2007 12:50 PM

Jun 2007
When you become as awesome as trowing galaxy's you dont have to make sense ;)
Oct 21, 2007 1:08 PM

Aug 2007
mulderman said:
When you become as awesome as trowing galaxy's you dont have to make sense ;)

Going to have to put those three magical letters here... QFT

Oct 21, 2007 1:20 PM

Aug 2007
7Th said:
You're clearly oversimplifying the show's narrative construction, an element that went beyond the usual degree in animation to a level of satisfying symbolic progress and good storytelling. It's really a show that despite not being perfect manages to transcend the medium and becomes worthy of literary analysis.

Why?
Pages (24) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.