Or Zero no Tsukaima :D ha-ha...ha... ;_;

But that's already on there lol
Dec 4, 2014 3:28 PM

Apr 2012
AngelsArcanum said:
baki502 said:

Or Zero no Tsukaima :D ha-ha...ha... ;_;

But that's already on there lol

I know i just wanted to join in on the wordplay ^^.

Edit:Also since I havent done it.
+1 Nagi no Asukara
+1 Golden Time.
Dec 4, 2014 7:28 PM

Mar 2013
-1 Nagi-Asu
Unremarkable on Golden Time
-1 GoW
+1 5cm
Dec 4, 2014 8:15 PM

Jun 2011
Floating Fishes looked pretty dumb, and I dropped it after the first episode, so technically I can't weigh in on it. And Angels, you know my opinion of Tempest.

I'm sort of on the fence about 5cm/s. The first episode was pretty good, but after that it went downhill and I was disappointed by the end because people had lauded it as being such a great movie. It wasn't bad, but it certainly isn't as great as its praise. If it went to trial I would help in the poll after reading some votes.
Dec 4, 2014 9:48 PM

Oct 2012
OMG! Are we finally trying to get 5cm in the relations? As one of the heads of the I-Hate-Makoto-Shinkai fan club (not a real club... yet) I give this nomination a huge +1. Not as bad as A Place Promised, but definitely more popular.
Dec 4, 2014 10:06 PM

Apr 2012
I cant judge 5cm per second, I dropped it in the first 5 min cause I had this really bad feeling about it.
Dec 4, 2014 10:17 PM

Oct 2012
baki502 said:
I cant judge 5cm per second, I dropped it in the first 5 min cause I had this really bad feeling about it.

You can get some really good wallpaper from the movie though. Outside of that, I dislike it greatly.
Dec 4, 2014 10:22 PM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
OMG! Are we finally trying to get 5cm in the relations? As one of the heads of the I-Hate-Makoto-Shinkai fan club (not a real club... yet) I give this nomination a huge +1. Not as bad as A Place Promised, but definitely more popular.

Yeah I was wondering why it wasn't brought up prior, I briefly discussed Shinkai with Nid like ages ago, but it wasn't anything major, I figure we might as well stick his stuff where it belongs lol.
Dec 5, 2014 12:34 AM

Feb 2008
+1 for 5cm, overrated garbage about retarded people. "My life sucks because I had no balls to talk with the girl I love ;_;" < "OMGZ SO SAD THAT'S JUST LIKE ME" every fan ever.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Dec 5, 2014 6:38 AM

Oct 2012
AngelsArcanum said:

Yeah I was wondering why it wasn't brought up prior, I briefly discussed Shinkai with Nid like ages ago, but it wasn't anything major, I figure we might as well stick his stuff where it belongs lol.

Is that a +1 I'm hearing from you? >:D
Dec 5, 2014 6:48 AM

Jun 2011
ZetaZaku said:
+1 for 5cm, overrated garbage about retarded people. "My life sucks because I had no balls to talk with the girl I love ;_;" < "OMGZ SO SAD THAT'S JUST LIKE ME" every fan ever.

It was more like, "My life sucks because I had no ovaries to talk with the boy I love ;___;" @surfer girl. She was the much more annoying character.
Dec 5, 2014 6:53 AM

Dec 2013
+1 5cm mostly because the main character's problems seem so banal, am i suppose to feel sorry for him? Oh you have a job you don't like and your first love didn't end well, what a fucking tragedy. The characters are also bland as hell

Dec 5, 2014 7:10 AM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
AngelsArcanum said:

Is that a +1 I'm hearing from you? >:D

Well I am the one who brought it up lol.

ForgoneReality said:
ZetaZaku said:

It was more like, "My life sucks because I had no ovaries to talk with the boy I love ;___;" @surfer girl. She was the much more annoying character.

I actually thought the surfer girl was someone else when I was watching and Shinkai was just showing off ocean visuals, but ah w/e. I got the impression that she did kind of give her feelings but the MC was like "you're nice, but lolno, I'm thinking of the other girl".

But yeah, 5cm sucks, +1.
Dec 5, 2014 7:21 AM

Jun 2011
It's just that she spent nearly her entire episode agonizing over "I LIKE SENPAI WHY WON'T HE LOVE ME WITHOUT ME SAYING ANYTHING" and yeah, it got old fast. I still stand by episode 1 being pretty good, with a nice atmosphere in the beginning part, but the rest of the movie doesn't hold up for me very well.
Dec 5, 2014 7:52 AM

Dec 2013
*SENPAI DIDN'T NOTICE ME* is one of the worst tragedies that can happen to a Japanese schoolgirl, that and being killed by a truck

Dec 5, 2014 7:54 AM

Feb 2008
So the current standing is:
Zankyou no Terror 6+ votes
5cm 5+ votes

Few more votes and they are ready to go to the same tier as KNIM and Mahouka.

Dec 5, 2014 9:50 AM

Jan 2013
Yeah, 5cm is pretty average and doesn't deserve all the love.
Neither does Shinkai.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Dec 5, 2014 10:41 AM

Apr 2012
+1 5cm
-1 Zankyou No Terror
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Dec 5, 2014 11:07 AM

Jul 2011
5 Centimeters Per Second does deserve credit for its visuals. I don't think anybody creates sunsets and starscapes quite like Makoto Shinkai.

That said, he frustrates me because he does the exact same things in all of his movies. Of the three I've seen, Voices of a Distant Star, 5 Centimeters, and The Place Promised all have a scene, for example, where the main characters finish each others' sentences without realizing it, while far away from each other. And the characters are more-or-less interchangeable between the three. They're heavy on nostalgia and pathos and light on substance; it's as if he tried to make their appeal so general and so basic that anybody watching these films could just project themselves onto it. And that might be part of the appeal for some people, though it's something I've never liked.

I liked 5 Cm less than the other two because while the first episode worked well for what it was, the second episode introduced a love triangle that ended up being inconsequential, and the third episode, as a friend put it, would never happen in an age where social media exists. It's really just not that hard to track people down in this age, but that would make a less interesting ending, I suppose....

You know what's funny? He CAN be funny when he wants to be. He made a short movie called "A Gathering of Cats" for the AniKuri15 series of one-minute movies that aired on NHK a couple of years ago, and it's actually kind of amusing. It's the only thing I've seen of his that suggests he has the potential to branch out.
Dec 5, 2014 11:20 AM

Jan 2013
It's because the characters aren't really people, they are androids who observe and muse about the world around them and not anything of actual feeling while spouting generic phrases of "I yearn for love" and the like.
Dec 5, 2014 11:41 AM

Feb 2008
I don't know what to think about Shinkai's visuals. They are so similar to the actual streets of Japan that he probably just drew over them or added some filters. It's really uninspiring since it lacks imagination. It's kinda like comparing a picture someone drew to a picture someone took with a camera. Makoto Shinkai's art is the second one. If photorealism is your thing, you'll enjoy him. But I don't like people praising his visuals. There are people that made great looking movies without using references.

Dec 5, 2014 11:49 AM

Jul 2011
@Angels
More or less what I meant, though I will admit that I enjoyed watching the leads in 5 CM a bit more simply because they spent a decent chunk of time together, compared to Voices and The Place Promised, where the entire movie is pine, pine, pine...

...of course, everything after the first act of 5 CM is pine, pine, pine, but I will take improvement where I see it.

It's the stuff of a lot of visual novels, and that's actually where Shinkai got his start so....there you go. It kind of reminds me of how Summer Wars seems like a throwback to Mamoru Hosada's stint working on Digimon; you can sometimes see aspects of people's earliest work when you see the things that made them famous.

I'm not sure I'd advocate for it going on the list, personally. It's overrated, but not in the sense that it's an incompetent movie, the plot hole in the third act aside. It aims to be a nostalgic tone poem and it does that well, but if Shinkai's style doesn't click with you then there's nothing much else to see. In my opinion, it's overrated because it plays to a very general and identifiable sense of pathos, and some of its fans interpret that as depth and emotion.

Now, I may not mind it as much as some other overrated works because I've never had to deal with too many annoying fans. The only person who really managed to rub me the wrong way was my stand partner in orchestra, who managed to irritate me by claiming that Makoto Shinkai's visuals were the only ones worth seeing in anime and referred to Studio Ghibli's visuals as "unimpressive" by comparison, without my even having brought up Ghibli. I've had some good conversations with people who liked this movie and weren't militant in this same way, however, and the impression I get is that one will enjoy it if they get swept into the overarching nostalgia and pathos and drawn into the beauty of Shinkai's landscapes. If that doesn't happen, the movies start to fall apart.

That's my two cents, anyway.

EDIT: In response to ZetaZaku's comment (which was made while I was writing this), he got his start as a video game designer, so I wouldn't be surprised if he used references. For me, the visuals are the only part of his movies that do actually make me feel as if I'd been taken away to another world....the problem is, I compare that to a Ghibli movie, where EVERYTHING makes me feel like I've been taken into another world, and they're so much better because of that.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. As I said in the original message, the hyperbole regarding the art can get as annoying as anything.

So I suppose that's -1 for me.
lukanicolettaDec 5, 2014 12:04 PM
Dec 5, 2014 1:48 PM

Oct 2012
I'm actually disgusted by Shinkai's notion of romance. That's why I want him in the Relations. These relationships are 2D and unrealistic. They're an idealized version of human relationships, completely devoid of any actual conflict, struggle, or humanity. Just two heads thinking each other lovely. Women here are meek and completely passive. Men are dull and monotone. These aren't people. These are ideas of people. And thus, the romance is only an ideal of the real thing.

The part about that which gets at me is, why are people eating this shit up? Does anyone actually buy the legitimacy of this relationship? Is this really the greatest romance ever (because Shinkai's films clearly believe themselves to be.) I'm so fed up of hyped up romance with no dimensions or grounding to reality. If Shinkai wants to portray an isolated moment in a relationship through images or visuals, then he should be a painter or a poet. When he forces a narrative onto it, the product is overblown and insipid.

*checks the time* Oh, wow. It's 6 a.m. over on my side of the world. If I come across as too forward or aggressive, it's due to my lack of sleep.
Dec 5, 2014 2:10 PM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
I'm actually disgusted by Shinkai's notion of romance. That's why I want him in the Relations. These relationships are 2D and unrealistic. They're an idealized version of human relationships, completely devoid of any actual conflict, struggle, or humanity. Just two heads thinking each other lovely. Women here are meek and completely passive. Men are dull and monotone. These aren't people. These are ideas of people. And thus, the romance is only an ideal of the real thing.

Precisely. It is all delusions of grandeur and the sense of the profound, intangible sensationalism of love without the notion and concept of what "love" is and the things HUMANS do when they are in love. I think it is that stride, the self-importance and the gorgeous visuals to encapsulate it all that lulls people in and makes them forget the absence of the core.
Dec 5, 2014 3:26 PM

Jun 2012
5cm is in the middle ground and pretty much inoffensive lol, why are you guys even considering it after so long? It might have been a decent idea to put it when the club started but it's pretty much useless at this point. Also it's not as bad as it could be (there is The Place Promised In Our Early Days for that)
Dec 5, 2014 7:10 PM

Jan 2013
Yeah it's inoffensive still, Shinkai's work have that going for them at least, but it's just something that wasn't really addressed. Shinkai still has fans in places (some call him one of the "big" anime directors still) and he is still not as good an artist as people make him out to be.
Dec 6, 2014 9:46 AM

Jun 2011
AngelsArcanum said:
It is all delusions of grandeur and the sense of the profound, intangible sensationalism of love without the notion and concept of what "love" is and the things HUMANS do when they are in love.

So basically, all this can be boiled down to a simple question, really.
Dec 6, 2014 10:02 AM

Oct 2012
ForgoneReality said:

I really needed something to listen to for the next 10 hours. You just solved my dilemma. Thanks, man!
Dec 6, 2014 10:51 AM

Jan 2013
ForgoneReality said:

So basically, all this can be boiled down to a simple question, really.

Life's greatest question.
Dec 7, 2014 3:32 PM

Mar 2013
I've only seen two Shinkai films, 5cm and Garden of Words. I feel 5cm can fit Ducat's description/complaint, but I really don't think GoW does. I think GoW is pretty legit.

Also, why shouldn't he express himself in anime, why should he be "a poet or painter". Is anime not art? Is anime not an adequate way to express relationships?
Dec 7, 2014 4:28 PM

Jan 2013
AudioTsunami said:
I've only seen two Shinkai films, 5cm and Garden of Words. I feel 5cm can fit Ducat's description/complaint, but I really don't think GoW does. I think GoW is pretty legit.

Also, why shouldn't he express himself in anime, why should he be "a poet or painter". Is anime not art? Is anime not an adequate way to express relationships?

He's saying Shinkai HIMSELF isn't capable of this. A bigger schematic narrative doesn't help him deliver any vision he has effectively. If it was a small poem where you give a little slice of pondering and meditation on something, it could be refined and executed better with what he's aiming for, or a painting could allow the ideas to unravel themselves and not try to ATTEMPT to weave it into some bigger coherent and cohesive thing (which he isn't good at).
Dec 7, 2014 4:32 PM

Jun 2012
AngelsArcanum said:
A bigger schematic narrative doesn't help him deliver any vision he has effectively.

which is why Hoshi no koe is my favourite work of his. He didn't care about expanding the scope with that one so it sort of works a little better
ValkqtDec 7, 2014 4:38 PM
Dec 7, 2014 4:48 PM

Jan 2013
Valkyrion said:
AngelsArcanum said:
A bigger schematic narrative doesn't help him deliver any vision he has effectively.

which is why Hoshi no koe is my favourite work of his. He didn't care about expanding the scope with that one so it sort of works a little better

Indeed. In a review I did for 5cm (on a film site rather) I said Voices is a little better at delivering similar ideas in less time, but I'm still not big on it. Garden of Words is give and take for me - either better or worse than Voices really.
Dec 13, 2014 10:40 PM

Jul 2014
I think Blast of Tempest deserves to be on the list. The characters constantly quoted Shakespeare whenever they had the chance, which made it extremely pretentious. Question about love? Oh, let's quote Shakespeare! And it ended up pulling a Guilty Crown during the second half and made no sense at all.

8.23 seems pretty high for this pile of garbage.
Dec 13, 2014 11:31 PM

Jan 2013
Yay! Another for the anti-BoT camp. Sorry to be so vocal against you again Forgone, but the series kind of grinds me gears so I'm just a bit outspoken about it.
Dec 14, 2014 3:19 AM

Mar 2014
+1 Tempest.
Dec 14, 2014 5:17 AM

Feb 2008
Can someone add a Zankyou no Terror vote so we can finally kick it to the relations?

Dec 14, 2014 5:48 AM

Apr 2012
ZetaZaku said:
Can someone add a Zankyou no Terror vote so we can finally kick it to the relations?

Nid is too busy playing the objectively better Binding of Isaac:Rebirth.
Dec 14, 2014 5:58 AM

Oct 2012
ZetaZaku said:

I would but I dropped it after four episodes. I already saw that this show was going nowhere but everyone was telling me "nah man, this show is good, anime of the season." And I was just like "suit yourselves" and dropped it.

I might pick it up again just to see how bad the ball was actually dropped.
Dec 14, 2014 6:09 AM

Feb 2008
I really am in the minority for not finding the beginning that good. It started off average at best, with some edgy kids playing terrorist, but without intention of hurting people. And then there's the whole thing with Oedipus that was so fucking stupid. But yes, the show does get a lot worse with the introduction of....what's her face. I'd rate it even lower, but hey, gotta give Yoko Kano credit too, so I went with a 3/10.

IMO it just shows how people are biased towards names at times. Since it's Watanabe, people don't want to tear apart the show. But if it was someone else (especially triggering directors/writers), people would have a completely different opinion about the show. Like seriously, the only good thing I could say about the show is that the music was alright, and that the main detective guy was a cool dood (nothing more to say about him).

Dec 14, 2014 6:32 AM

Dec 2013
The show is well directed and has a pretty good soundtrack, the problem is well, everything else. I watched Patlabor early days recently and it's funny that a comedy has a more realistic take on terrorism than a thriller.

Dec 14, 2014 6:33 AM

Oct 2012
There was no point in making any of them high schoolers. I was hoping the show would actually be daring and show some complexity, but after episode one, I saw a B-rate Hollywood terrorist action film except in anime form. I heard it gets worse, but what reason did I have to watch the thing? The start felt like a bad action film. All flare, no substance. And I just came from watching reruns of Safe House, so yeah. I gave it up.

But now I have incentive. After I finish Nana, you'll get your last vote, Zeta.
Dec 14, 2014 12:32 PM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel said:
ZetaZaku said:

I would but I dropped it after four episodes. I already saw that this show was going nowhere but everyone was telling me "nah man, this show is good, anime of the season." And I was just like "suit yourselves" and dropped it.

I might pick it up again just to see how bad the ball was actually dropped.

Episode 5 is where it actually goes somewhere, but then it introduces a character who is a little more unrealistic and pushes things to extremes that really shouldn't be enabled by anyone. I'm actually on the same boat as Zeta when it comes to not liking the first few episodes because they are formulaic, aimless and too self-conscientious. With that said, the whole airport disaster thing actually had things moving and characters doing things besides twiddling their thumbs and such, but it still had a fine layer of absurdity to it. I'd say somewhere around episodes 5-8 are the high points of the series I think, and Five's introduction (yes, that's her name and she appears in episode Five lol) actually got the series out of its rut even if Five can be a little too loony at times. The rest is just really bland and insubstantial stuff really, and the final episode is just dumb with no real emotional impact or logic to its climax and really the show's intentions.
Dec 14, 2014 12:42 PM

Sep 2012
Based on the first four episodes alone none of those elements actually seemed pointless to me in context of each other and the detective's backstory. To me it always seemed like the problem was really just that the plot was incredibly dumb.
Dec 14, 2014 1:23 PM

Jan 2014
While l don't think ZnT is as bad as some of the shit in relations, I'll give it the final +1 to push it in there. There really isn't much to the show besides dat animation and music and I had a decent feeling that it would end up leading to nowhere, which is exactly what happened. Doesn't help that every character was just underdeveloped wasted potential (kind of like the entire show). It would have just been unremarkable if people weren't toting it around as anime of the year.
Dec 14, 2014 9:12 PM

Feb 2008
The relation is for overrated stuff, not necessarily the lowest bottom of the industry.

So with this vote, Zankyou no Terror goes to the relation.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (28) « First ... « 22 23 [24] 25 26 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.