Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 18, 2013 5:06 PM
Aug 2011
Tsukuba his sasistic smiles and he seemed to have a inclination towards both Chihaya and Taichi.
Interesing guy. If he ever goes up against Sudo it's going to be crazy.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Even with what they did with Sumire, she's still just fucking awful - so awful she's dragging the quality of the show down drastically thanks to it focusing almost entirely on her so far in season 2. Obviously, that won't keep up, but damn if it hasn't already overstayed it's welcome. She's got no positive points, somehow is ugly in a show with art that makes everyone look amazing (and yet she's a character focused on looking good? Ironic.), and is just a terrible addition to the cast.

Her entire being is legitimately making me like the show less - and I fucking loved season 1, it's one of my top favs, so this is just depressing.

Let's just say I don't disagree.

I believe that the author nailed it with personalities of the original club members.
(Okay I hate saying "original" members but bear with me.)
While they are all seemingly different it wasn't about declaring war on each other.
"I'm here because i'm after Mashima senpai etc."
It's a very cheap route to resort to.

One of the reasons why I hold Chihayafuru in high regard is because all of the main characters clicked well and they are aggressive when they need to be.
Even with the ever looming love triangle below the surface, Arata and Taichi can still greet each other and talk. It's just handled so well.

We already have a triangle; a love square (or any other shape) is just excess baggage. Come on now.

I mentioned in the other discussion that even if she goes through plenty of character development, she will always be that one girl went after someone out of pure whim and selfishness and that's annoying as fuck. I can't even find one remotely good thing in that type of selfishness.

Yes I am one of those people that will hold that on her forever, too bad.

The only way I can see her being somewhat tolerable is she develops a genuine love for karuta and if she's used as a catalyst to push a relationship in Chihaya's favor.
That is if Chihaya wants a relationship. Forever alone lady with her karuta cards. Oh Chihaya.
Jan 18, 2013 5:45 PM

Mar 2011
Another great ep
That new member is creepy, but I like his style XD. He should be interesting to watch. Will Chihaya learn anything from the second verse Karuta?
And I'm glad that Hanano is getting (a bit) more serious about Karuta, although she's still annoying
Ooe shine again in this episode
Firixizu_MintJan 18, 2013 5:48 PM
Jan 18, 2013 5:57 PM

May 2011
Tsukubo amuses me. Then for the last minute or so of the episode I just kept staring at their eyelashes. Poor Kana and her three! She's still super adorable, even if Chihaya and Taichi have her beat in the lashes department. xD;
Jan 18, 2013 5:57 PM

Aug 2012
Good episode. I could certainly do without Sumire but whatever, at least Kanna got a little development out of it.

I knew I'd enjoy Tsukubo when they first showed him, he's quite funny and has a lot of potential. I agree, a matchup with him and Sudo would be glorious.
Jan 18, 2013 5:59 PM
Oct 2010
Echoing other posts, Hanano is too annoying. Even the creepy new guy seems a far better character.

Hopefully her intro is finished and we can move on to something else.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Jan 18, 2013 6:31 PM

Aug 2011
I love that new guy Tsukubo.
Jan 18, 2013 7:56 PM

Oct 2011
Sumire is quite the bitch but at least she's willing to try to learn the game now. On the plus side Tsukubo appears to be a promising new member. Looking forward to see Arata play again.

Jan 18, 2013 7:57 PM

Dec 2010
Sumire is extremely annoying but well at least the new guy Tsukubo seems interesting, tho it's not fair to expect that all the new members would be likable so it's alright. In fairness they can get better over time, tho i would be lying if i said Sumire leaves a good first impression.
Jan 18, 2013 9:02 PM

Oct 2012
I groan and and yell angry things at the computer whenever the episode ends. Its just that good! The new characters are interesting. Sumire makes me dislike her for her reasons for joining, but Im routing for her that she improves her character, and for her to find that she doesnt have to have a boyfriend to be happy. Tsukubo is a little creepy, but too see someone with different strengths is really interesting. Able to use both hands? Pretty cool. Good stuff just ready for some Arata!
Jan 18, 2013 9:17 PM

Jan 2013
Damn, from episode 1 seeing the new guy in the OP makes me think he has evil intentions on the karuta team. But i guess watching this episode made me realize i was wrong. That habit of him made me lol'd so hard. xD

Awesome episode. Still waiting for my favorite heroine (Arata) :)))
Jan 18, 2013 10:32 PM

Jun 2009
I can't bring myself to hate Sumire, if she had kept up that attitude of only wanting to be liked by Taichi THEN we all would have hated her guts, but turns out she's actually willing to play the game and be fair. The other guy even tho is creepy as hell he's interesting, I'm looking forward to see what happens!
Jan 18, 2013 10:51 PM

Feb 2009
I really disliked Sumire quite a bit, I sincerely hope she gets more likeable as the series passes. Her little outburst was annoying, but honestly the refusing to cut her nails ticked me off the most. I mean, she was willing to allow someone else to possibly get hurt because of her vanity, that ticked me off. At least she cut them in the end though.

New guy, however, is extremely cool.
Jan 19, 2013 12:41 AM

Jan 2011
I'll cut Sumire some slack. Come on folks, she's only just out of grade 9 and it looks like she's never focused on anything other than makeup, gossip, and boys. If anything, she is the total anti-Chihaya. I'm expecting (and hoping) that Sumire will eventually grow to love the game and will push Chihaya into realizing that she has feelings for Taichi. Someone has to do it since Chihaya is so totally clueless about things like that and Taichi is just too much of a gentleman to make the first move.

I'm starting the series off with a 9, but I fully expect it to be a 10 before we reach episode 25.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jan 19, 2013 1:22 AM

Apr 2008
Going to rant a little bit here.

rodac said:
I'll cut Sumire some slack. Come on folks, she's only just out of grade 9 and it looks like she's never focused on anything other than makeup, gossip, and boys.

I'm going to second this, although I do not really like the idea of Taichi and Chihaya together ( I.. I adore what could be possible between Arata and Chihaya too much for this, although I don't think Chihaya is going to end up with either of the boys since it's basically as Parfaited said earlier; Chihaya will 5evr alone with her Karuta ).

I really hope that Sumire becomes a better person as the series progresses, or at least, one that is actually as devoted to Karuta for whatever reason is her own, like the others, and not just because of Taichi. Cutting her nails seems like a good start, and honestly although she really bothers me and I don't like her right now, I'm sure that she can grow into a good and interesting character without there being too much trouble.

Kipcha said:
I mean, she was willing to allow someone else to possibly get hurt because of her vanity, that ticked me off

This bothered me too, but it bothered me less once I realized that she had no intention of really going after any cards, and really didn't understand the potential that she had to really hurt someone while playing Karuta with her nails being so long. She's new and has likely never seen anyone play Karuta in the high-power / quick-slapping way that those in Class A + play it, like Chihaya and Arata. Even Taichi when he really goes for it.

But anyway, going on, with Sumire; I think she can become likable. As long as, of course, she doesn't end up being a character that has no purpose, goal, or aim and just 'plays'. You have Taichi, currently, who wants to become A Class and then progresively move up. You have Arata who wants to become Master, and Chihaya who wants to become queen. You also have Kana-chan who wants to become a Karuta reader, and that is completely creative and original and I'm glad that the creator decided to take this route with her..

However, Desktomu and Nikuma-kun both seem like they're lackluster in both their goals and aims right now, when the others are reaching for something so high. I don't mind them remaining the patron 'plot-processor' characters for outside of the main group, but I don't want to see there become more of them with the two new additions.

That being said, I really like that Tsukuba-kun has at least some knowledge of Karuta already. He shows a LOT of promise and I'm sure that he will progress a lot faster than Desktomu-kun and Kana-chan, or at least so I'm hoping. I can see him being the 'place filler' in competitions for members who pass out or cannot make it, or something, to save them; and this will be his saving grace, even if he has a super-creepy tongue-sticking-out thing going on.

Yeah, ok. Rant over now that I don't have more to say.
Jan 19, 2013 3:45 AM

Jul 2011
Great episode! The new guy is awesome XD

But where the hell is Arata??? *RAGE
Jan 19, 2013 6:09 AM

Oct 2009
Kinda like the new dude, but still wish they could've dropped the whole "new members" thing.

3/5
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Jan 19, 2013 6:37 AM

Dec 2010
This show never fails to make me cry lol Loved this episode.
thewallflowerbuttonnew.png
Jan 19, 2013 7:18 AM

May 2010
Ahhhh..Kana-chan's has developed more than alst episodee...
Jan 19, 2013 7:19 AM
Sep 2011
Great episode and the new guy was a fun character.
Jan 19, 2013 8:32 AM

Apr 2011
I liked this episode. Glad to see the two new members have their own little quirks and stuff that'll make them more likable throughout the course of the rest of the show. :D
Jan 19, 2013 12:40 PM

Jun 2009
Hybridbloodszak said:
The new guy character and his habit of doing slurping his tongue is a little creepy lol

Couldn't agree more... But I'm sure he will begin to grown on me XD
Hanano was a bit annoying at the beginning but I am sure she will mature.
Jan 19, 2013 12:58 PM

Jul 2012
This show is so frigging beautiful and inspiration.
I had that weird feeling of wanting to cry at the end. ;_;

Love the new guy LOOOL. He's funny. I like his confidence!

5/5 :)
Jan 19, 2013 2:13 PM

Nov 2012
No, LEAVE the bitch, let flying birds fly away, don't bring her back!
Enjoyable episode but want to see a real match soon, also glad about the new guy, might get strong really quickly because of past experience.

Jan 19, 2013 3:39 PM

Dec 2012
This episode is beautiful. The creators made sumire a much less hated character after the huge character development.
Jan 19, 2013 6:48 PM

Jan 2012
Season 1 was great and so far, season two for me has its pros and cons.

Pros: Has all the characters from season 1 and I am sure they will continue with where the story left off. I am also excited that Arata has decided to come back into playing Karuta. Can't wait to see Chihaya, Taichi and Arata in action. Let's not forget Hana-chan, either. She didn't leave too much of an impression on me until now! I really like how she is able to be direct and yet understanding of the first years. Chihaya I most definitely love, be it her funny moments, her intense karuta playing or her admiration of Aruta and Taichi as well. I can't wait to see more development on her as the series progresses. Rematch, Rematch against the queen!

Cons: Sumire-chan. Goodness. Good job for the voice actress that does her voice. She definitely has the character spot-on, in regards to pitch and tone in her personality. Of course any new first year is excited about going to a new school, and perhaps for girls, find their first love. Well, I am not a fan of Sumire. Her intentions of joining karuta are superficial just to get close to Taichi. Most of us are for team Chihaya and Taichi. By adding more characters, they serve more of a distraction to me, but they may also add a new perspective to how they view karuta.

So, those are my thoughts. Can't wait for the next episode. Perhaps we will see a glimpse of Arata? :)
Jan 19, 2013 6:52 PM

May 2011
That tear-inducing inspirational music starts playing, Chihaya runs for the door to chase after Sumire, and I prepare myself for an emotional moment...

...and then she runs into the chair. I almost died. XD

But that's okay, I got my weekly dose of Chihayafuru tears from the ending anyway. I'm still not overly fond of Sumire, but after this episode I can tell that she will eventually grow on me, especially once she inevitably discovers her love for karuta. Her reaction to taking her first card was beautiful. And Tsukuba is already great. I love his creepy smile, haha.

As always, I can't wait until next week! I'm so glad Chihayafuru is back!

Jan 19, 2013 8:01 PM

Jul 2012
I can see that most people here are hating on Sumire. I don't particularly like her either at the moment. But hey, this is Chihayafuru we're talking about. You're gonna see tons of character development and eventually, she'll be as awesome as the main five on the team. xD Same with Tsukuba...Although the creepy smile is a nice addition.
Jan 19, 2013 8:10 PM

Oct 2012
New characters got potential, but I hope they get back to the Chihaya, Taichi, Arata triangle soon, which should be the main focus. Get Taichi to Class A and get the tournaments going.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 19, 2013 8:57 PM

Jan 2012
creepy lips licking. yum.

i want a happy daddy shirt.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 19, 2013 9:54 PM

Jul 2008
I don't really get all the Sumire hate. She will never be a "real" threat to Tachi/Chihaya. Joining the Karuta club for love just shows another way for someone to end up loving the sport. She obviously relates to the poems (since she cried while reading one in episode 01) and enjoyed taking her first card. I also like how she is willing to pick up such a difficult sport in order to get the attention of the guy she likes.
Jan 19, 2013 10:10 PM

Jun 2008
Loved Tskukuba's iwanttobegood-face XD

I actually used to live in a town called Tsukuba : D It's close to Tokyo.
Jan 19, 2013 10:34 PM

Jul 2009
jeez back to the main story please
Jan 19, 2013 11:56 PM
Jan 2013
They now officially have 2 new members.

I wonder if their club funding would be increase to $150?
Jan 20, 2013 6:53 AM

Jul 2009
I find Sumire a little irritating, but to be honest, I feel like that leaves room for lots of positive character development.
Also I think part of me started shipping KanaxSumire ;P

Anyway, I hope we get to some matches soon. One of the things I found most charming about season 1 was that I ended up finding the Karuta part of it much more exciting than expected, so I can't wait for more.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.
Jan 20, 2013 7:43 AM

Jul 2009
Ahhh wow great episode! I have missed this show so much :') I actually like Sumire a lot. She's so different from all the other members it's really interesting to see how she interacts with them. Accidentally blurting out her feelings for Taichi ... ah :P I love how she was committed to learning at the end though, even clipping her nails ...
Tsukaba is really interesting too. I'd like to know more about the Second Verse Karuta that he plays. Such interesting things that Chihaya noticed ... haha, he only likes pretty people LOL XD Also his eyes open and the licks his lips ... creepy! XD
Really nice scene at the end between Kana and Sumire. I mean, about love ... yeah, that's what the poems are about but they still adhere to the rules! Kana asking to be taught to put on mascara ... and how crying shows a beautiful soul ... wow *_*
GOSHDARNIT ONCE A WEEK IS NOT ENOUGH FOR THIS SHOW :(
Jan 20, 2013 2:48 PM
Jan 2012
The new characters are interesting though sumire is still a bit annoying but hopefully that will change from now onwards...I can see Tsukuba progressing quite quickly with karuta though!

Ahh...can't wait til they start the tournaments and start playing karuta seriously again!!!
Jan 20, 2013 3:13 PM

Mar 2011
KANA-CHANNNNN! HNGGG, SO CUTE!!!!!

5/5
Jan 20, 2013 4:25 PM
Oct 2008
When the first season of Chihayafuru ended, I was still hoping for a sequel that would definitely improve in terms of ending and character growth. I was actually hoping that we would get a good ending for a story that has appealed to me in ways I did not expect.
Now as my wishes have physical form, I am disappointed. This episode, as well as the first one get from me a huge 1 out of 5: Hated it (your vote). The main reason for this are the two characters added almost from nowhere, which behave extremely stupid even for first year high school students. What I really wanted to see is Chihaya, but she now seems changed to such an extent that her previously amazing personality got smudged and distorted drastically to become just some kind of ghost (or monster, if you want), nothing like the Chihaya I remembered.
These being said, I am definitely trying to resist the urge to smash my computer's screen whenever I see something inappropriate or plain horrible in this sequel. I asked someone knowledgeable of this and said that if we take for example K-ON!! that started with an awfully non-comedic first episode but then later developed to be even better than the first season and exceeded many of its fans' expectations, then Chihayafuru might as well do the same and surprise all of us by actually providing us with a proper ending, with Chihaya's growth of character (and of others as well), with the solution of the seemingly nonexistent love triangle between Arata, Chihaya and Taichi. But, no! Instead of these, I have to endure the presence of two little brats with beautiful nails and boys and creepy smiles and tongue outside of mouth. I'm asking this again, since it's not said enough. Why are they doing this? Is it all about money? Said person answered "Because we can't have good things.".
thisisoverJan 20, 2013 4:42 PM
Jan 20, 2013 10:01 PM

Jul 2008
Aoi_hana said:

These being said, I am definitely trying to resist the urge to smash my computer's screen whenever I see something inappropriate or plain horrible in this sequel. I asked someone knowledgeable of this and said that if we take for example K-ON!! that started with an awfully non-comedic first episode but then later developed to be even better than the first season and exceeded many of its fans' expectations, then Chihayafuru might as well do the same and surprise all of us by actually providing us with a proper ending, with Chihaya's growth of character (and of others as well), with the solution of the seemingly nonexistent love triangle between Arata, Chihaya and Taichi. But, no! Instead of these, I have to endure the presence of two little brats with beautiful nails and boys and creepy smiles and tongue outside of mouth. I'm asking this again, since it's not said enough. Why are they doing this? Is it all about money? Said person answered "Because we can't have good things.".

Haha this is just...no.

First of all, this is not "all about money". Chihayafuru has terrible sales on DVD/BD. The second season was a godsend and unexpected by many.

Also, it follows the manga...which is still ongoing with almost 20 volumes. Meaning unless they do an anime-original ending, there most likely will not be any sort of conclusion to the story after another 25 episodes.

Finally, we are only on episode 2 of the series. It is way too early for people to be freaking out about it being inferior to season one or to say there hasn't been any development. Give the show time to do something.
Jan 21, 2013 12:17 AM

Jun 2008
Tsukuba was the highlight of this episode for me. He needs his ass kicked a little but I kind of look forward to seeing that. As for Sumire, well, her development is inevitable and predictable, but I'm glad they're not drawing it out or I'd get really impatient with her.
Jan 21, 2013 6:01 AM

Jan 2008
I marvel about this show and how they executed this episode for the newbies/first years without dragging and being too cliche.
Jan 21, 2013 10:50 AM

Nov 2009
Let's talk about how all the 1st year girls wanted to join only because of Taichi, which is not unusual in itself and rather expected, but what is unusual is that Taichi's (and not Chihaya's!) charm also got the only guy among them, Tsukuba, roped in.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 21, 2013 11:26 AM
Feb 2012
By the way, they haven't found five new members which means their club room will be taken from them.

First-years are really pain in the ass.
Jan 21, 2013 3:34 PM
Sep 2012
Tsukuba's tongue thing was odd, but funny. They certainly aren't dragging out Sumire's joining, which I like.
Jan 21, 2013 6:34 PM

May 2012
I like Sumire, quite charming, it will be intresting to see her pursuit Taichi seriously. If anythig to see how Chihaya feels about that.

Sumire infinitely >>>>> than Arata

FUCK ARATA. Damn bastard.
Jan 21, 2013 7:01 PM

May 2012
Hanano is now officially dedicated to karuta, how exciting.

I honestly wonder how long it's going to take Chihaya to start calling the other new first year 'Scuba' because... it's a perfect nickname for him.

My only other prevalent thoughts about this episode pertain to the fact I miss the original theme and ending songs quite a bit. Sigh. I'm sure I'll get used to these, but they don't fit nearly as well.
Jan 22, 2013 4:32 AM

Sep 2009
waaaaaa OP <3 I soo love it <3 its again by 99RadioService <3 waaaaaah ^_^

beautiful episode !!!! :) I soo love Karuta and ChihayaFuru is amazing anime who let me know about this amazing art )

I am soo happy my 2 most favourite animes continued at the same time :) GINTAMA & ChihayaFuru ~~~~

btw I dont like girls like Sumire T_T boring! but I hope she'll change with Karuta and others :)
and waaaaa I so WANT TAICHI and CHIHAYA together !!! >_<
cant wait new episode !!! ^^
*ANIME I.NTERE.ST*----> +IN anime pictures and get FREE anime & manga merchandize from JAPAN!
Jan 23, 2013 1:26 AM

Dec 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZbh9ydzo0
so the game is exaggerated in the anime , makes sense i guess.
Jan 24, 2013 7:04 AM

Jul 2011
tsudecimo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZbh9ydzo0
so the game is exaggerated in the anime , makes sense i guess.

Wow the makeup of the girls...
But there are more impressive matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oUSWwEB2T6U

These players are amazingly fast! :o

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Jan 24, 2013 2:39 PM

Aug 2010
I HATE Sumire. She is so annoying!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2013

138 by bassyey »»
Mar 16, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2013

160 by fathandz »»
Feb 17, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2013

136 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2013

181 by fathandz »»
Feb 11, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 10, 2013

110 by fathandz »»
Feb 7, 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.