Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Nov 7, 2013 11:18 PM

Dec 2012
Seiza's aunt was an ignorant, immature and insensitive person. This is why teenagers are distinct from adults, they should not be expected to react to things like adults and Seita should have never have had the burden of responsibility of Setsuko. She absolutely disgusted me.

This movie toyed with many emtions and brought me to the peak of breaking but couldn't seem to do it for me. Everything else was near perfect. 9/10.
Nov 28, 2013 10:22 AM

Mar 2012
Heavy movie, however Seita should have just swallowed his pride. In the end, it cost both him and his sister their lives.
Dec 17, 2013 6:29 PM

Jan 2011
Beisdes refusing to work, at least fire-fighting, helping a farmer on the field etc., he should also have stayed more with Setsuko. Or took her with him.

Not only that someone might have taken pity on them, as a 5 year old girl is quite different from a teenage boy when it comes to such thing - the will to liive, socal contact, someone taking care of you and such things are one major factor in how much you endure.

Also he would have saved both of them energy. He wouldn't have to run back and forth all the time, and she would not play all day, running around and chasing fireflies etc.

I believe he could have made it even without going back to his aunt if he would have put more thought into it. Obviously it's easy to say like this and rather hard to do when you are in such a situation.

Also: While his aunt was right about finding work, leeching off of them etc. if she really cared about them she wouldn't have said it like that, maybe even tried to find them when they were at the cave. She also took advantage of them where she could, like with the rice. It was his rice. Of course it was to be expected that he gave her some in exchange for her taking them in, but that *she* decides how much of *his* rice he may keep, and that she actually denies them rice later, despite her only having some because of him..

And what exactly was she doing for her country? Cooking meals for her husband and daugther? So she doesn't do that normally? Also, they could easily have eaten somewhere else. When looking at the things directly related to war, she was slacking off just like Seita.

She took them in because they were relatives and it's expected, if people would have found out that she turned down relatives it would at the very least be embarassing. But she didn't actually care about them, she probably cared more about the women she regularly talked about over some tea or whatever.

Everyone also forgot that his father was in the navy, dying for his fatherland. If his aunts cooking counts for the war effort, his father having died for his fatherland must count, too, especially in a rather militaristic and patriotic society like Japen was back then. Instead she is simply like "your father isn't answering? Well, good luck with some other relatives, bye".

Another things is that she could have helped them find his relatives in Tokyo. Apparently the aunt was his fathers sister, not his mothers (again, why does she simply brush off that his father is (or most llikely) dead, when it's her brother? Jealous that they had a good life because of it? She does sound like it quite often), but still i would assume that she does know a bit about them.

Did anyone notice that neither father nor daughter complained about Seita and Setsuko, only the aunt (unless i missed it)? And that the daughter asked her mother whether she was harsh at them again? Even when you are mostly curious, if you wouldn't care at all, you wouldn't ask.

The whole thing would be even more bizzare if she were his mothers sister, meaning that the relatives in Tokyo would be directly related to her, too..

So sum it up: Nearly everyone acted like a jerk, with the exception of Setsuko (she was kind of a jerk at some times, but thats in a childs nature), and the farmer.

An then at the end the actually rich people came back from their forced vacation (probably in the mountains or so, given that a big city would be a bad idea during such bombings, and they were already next to the sea) and found everything intact because the Americans didn't bother bombing single houses with lots of green etc. around, but used the bombs more efficiently.
Dec 19, 2013 3:27 PM
Dec 21, 2013 12:31 PM

May 2013
Volt1993 said:
Seiza's aunt was an ignorant, immature and insensitive person.

He couldn't swallow his pride or get a job. The ending is the fault of him and his terrible choices.
Dec 25, 2013 11:17 AM

Aug 2012
Drama for the sake of drama... I didn't like it.
As I see it, the only goal of this movie is to make you sad and the war is merely a setting for this goal.
Dec 27, 2013 10:16 AM

Mar 2013
I didn't cry during the movie. but that music in the ending credits made me reflect about everything I did just watched and then I was crying like a girl. I still fell sad, think this going to last more 3 days :´(
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 12, 2014 9:54 PM

Jul 2013
If this movie's intention was to make me feel really shitty because a 5 year old girl died due to her brother being an idiot and her aunt being a bitch it succeeded. But frankly it was far too infuriating and I don't understand the point of it ESPECIALLY with the random rich people at the end. What in the holy fuck, I'm giving this a generous 5/10.
Feb 3, 2014 8:19 AM

Sep 2013
hybreezy said:
If this movie's intention was to make me feel really shitty because a 5 year old girl died due to her brother being an idiot and her aunt being a bitch it succeeded. But frankly it was far too infuriating and I don't understand the point of it ESPECIALLY with the random rich people at the end. What in the holy fuck, I'm giving this a generous 5/10.

Congratulations beforehand for the idiot of the year award 2014.

Anyways, I finally got around to watching this. It's an ageless remainder of the horrors WW2 families had to experience. It's sad, but nowhere near forced. If you think that stuff like that didn't happen, then go ask some of the old people who lived during that time. That was normal stuff back then. People died and were left without homes.
Feb 8, 2014 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
Very very sad movie but at the same time it's great testimony about horrors of war.

In the end I couldn't even cry after watching this, I was left with strange feeling of uneasiness and totally down. But maybe that's the thing this movie excelling at as it is a frighteningly real and it manages to capture despair any war brings to the people.

We should be happy for any day of plenty, joy and peace as many of us are taking that for granted.
Feb 10, 2014 6:58 AM
Mar 2013
without a doubt this film is the saddest film i have ever seen.
there is so much to say *sigh
Feb 19, 2014 10:28 AM

May 2010
Pretty depressing. Setsuko was so adorable. Why didn't Seita withdrew that money sooner? Also, he could have swallowed his pride and went back to their Aunt. I know she's a bitch but she wasn't that bad. She did let the two stay at her house and she looked concerned when they decided to leave.. Poor choices there but I guess there's no helping it. Seita's still a kid.

8/10

Feb 22, 2014 2:41 AM

Aug 2013
This was depressing... I wasn't loving it at first, but then about half way through I realised that it wasn't supposed to be about crazy fights and stuff, but more about the relationship between the brother and sister... great movie.
Mar 17, 2014 12:55 PM
Feb 2012
I cried buckets watching this and *still* feel unbelievably sad.

Seita's wrong choices are a part of the movie. While it's easy for us to judge his decisions now, we can't say if we would've acted differently, had we been in his place. He wasn't an adult but a mere kid who had to take care of both himself and his little sister. Making rational decisions in such circumstances isn't as self-evident as you'd think.
But like I said, it was part of the story and ultimately led to a shockingly depressing ending. When I saw that little flashback of Setsuko playing on her own, I... no, remembering that right now is a bad idea. Let's just say it hurt. So very, very much...

10/10
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 19, 2014 10:17 AM

Jul 2012
THE FEELS IN THIS MOVIE!

This movie brought me to the brink of tears. This movie is some powerful stuff.

Great Movie!!!
Apr 14, 2014 8:52 PM

Jun 2013
Was not in the least bit affected by this. Maybe if I had a little sister, or if I could relate to the movie at all.

My eyes got a bit watery at, for instance, Texhnolyze's ending, but this was just.. dull?

Oh and don't even get me started on the anti-war propaganda bullshit.. I tried to ignore that the best I could. So lame, that shit.
Apr 24, 2014 5:10 PM

Jul 2013
Honestly you're all really stupid if you're mad at Seita.

People who just became teenagers don't think so well.

Especially not in the middle of the war. He spent the whole movie trying to be strong for his sister, even when it was really tough.

How the fuck was he supposed to go to school? And I'm pretty sure terrible woman he had for an aunt wouldn't even let him back in anyways after he left (that was part pride & partly cause he thought it'd be best for him and his sister).

And he OBVIOUSLY didn't withdraw the money beforehand because he thought his dad was coming home anytime soon.

And FOR GOD'S SAKE this was not some anti-America shit or something. Don't complain about how Japan killed tons of innocent American people as well. Politics isn't the point of the movie. The point is to show how war affects young kids in the most cruel ways.

I didn't think it was dramatic at all.

I loved it and it made me feel like a piece of shit for not appreciating life and cry a lot, but I still loved it.
"Komugi, are you there?"

May 10, 2014 3:11 AM

Jun 2011
For the first half I was praising the movie in my head, it was amazing, but the second half didn't quite do it for me, still, this is one of the better movies out there imo, and the best (or the second best) I have watched so far, granted, I haven't seen a lot yet.

I saw this in the other thread, Setsuko's VA was only 4-5 years old when she did the role, it was job well done, props to her.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 12, 2014 7:51 PM

May 2013
ashlelouch said:
And I'm pretty sure terrible woman he had for an aunt wouldn't even let him back in anyways after he left (that was part pride & partly cause he thought it'd be best for him and his sister).

She was taking care of them when her own close family were having difficulty themselves. She wanted an apology and he refused simply because of his pride. If he had apologized and agreed to contribute to bringing more food to the household they would have been completely fine and would have enjoyed the prosperity of post-war Japan.
May 16, 2014 4:31 PM

Jun 2013
Never before have I been moved so strongly by a simple movie. I'm still crying as I write this comment. This is real.

10/10.

If you didn't shed a tear during this movie, then you are not human. Nothing in anime can compare to the sadness shown and illustrated in this movie. Nothing.

This movie has earned it's number one spot as my all time favorite anime.

<3
Aug 8, 2014 9:32 PM

Aug 2013
Such a beautiful movie. So realistic... I didn't cry, but I was on the borderline of crying the whole movie! It was so emotional...
After watching this movie, you can fully understand why it is counted as one of the BEST World War II movies... It's a masterpiece!
Sep 3, 2014 3:01 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Really well put story.. but enjoyment was quite low for me. So I'll give it 7/10 .. don't know how sad or depressing it was.. because it's more of an "human relation" depression. which I can't exactly relate to.. for me shows like "serial experiments lain", "kara no kyoukai" "Haibane Renmei" "elfen lied" etc.. a.k.a shows that show emptiness/void and rejection of the world.. are much more depressing and relatable..
Sep 22, 2014 6:11 AM

Jan 2014
Such a tearjerker. I just almost cried, though. Love it nevertheless.
Oct 3, 2014 7:17 PM

Sep 2012
It was good because it showed the destruction of war. But I think it had a few plotholes, why did the mother leave without her children? Why didn't he go back to the aunt? He was somewhat egoistic for not going to her if it was because of his pride, because of that the girl died.
But anyways still a good movie.
7/10
Trying to watch all available anime series so you won't have to anymore, the list of anime I can recommend is still in progress, tho
Dec 5, 2014 7:46 AM
Jun 2013
To fully understand the actions of the characters, we must first put ourselves in their place.

The story was presented in WWII timeframe, Seita did a lot of bad decision which led to the death of her sister but looking at it on his standpoint, we cannot fully blame him for what happened.

Q: Why did the mother left before the siblings during the start of the movie?

A: The mother was sick, she had heart problems thus her body was weak, she cannot possibly carry the young Setsuko on her back on the way to the shelter while trying to be as fast as she can. She could take her but that would only slow her down so she entrusted her to Seita.

Q: Why didn't Seita work/study?

A: Seita's school and factory was burned down during the Kobe raid, finding another job was hard during the war period. Workers back then were earning rations to feed them and their family so everyone is trying to work for food.

Q: Why is the aunt not working?

A: It is very common in traditional Japan that women are just housewives while men are the one who feed the family, just like what they say that a woman's job is to support her husband. This is part of their culture and we have no right to question this kind of treatment, even today there are still families who believe in this.

Q: Why did the aunt who took them in suddenly changed

A: The aunt was friendly at first due to the fact that they were children of her brother, a Japanese Marine Officer in the Imperial Japanese Navy (Japanese navy is considered as one the best). She was probably counting on the fact that these children would bring in SPECIAL rations that would ease up their life however when they couldn't contact their father, she probably assumed that he died in battle and thus those siblings are dead weight. Also the rations were getting smaller, and she probably thought it wasn't enough to feed 2 more people since Seita is not getting anything since he is not working.

Q: What are rations?

A: These are the food that the government provide for the people, since food is scarce, it is being managed by the government. As the war drags on and Japan is losing, rations got smaller and smaller thus many died of malnutrition.

Q: What are SPECIAL rations (not too sure on this one - got the idea from the 2005 live-action)

A: This is probably given to the elites of the society, their father being an officer received this as well. If you notice the goods that Seita buried in the ground, those goods are considered a rarity during that time. Dried plums even butter are not part of rations, not to mention Setsuko's candy case was metal (during the war, Japan confiscated all metals and recycled those metals to be used in warfare). Just look at how happy the aunt was when she received the butter etc.

Q: Why didn't Seita join fire-fighting etc?

A: Seita probably was afraid of leaving Setsuko on the shelter alone, thinking that Setsuko might suffer the same fate of their mother.

Q: Why did Seita and Setsuko decided to leave?

A: Obviously they felt like they were cheated, the aunt was hoarding all their food at first and giving them to her family. In my opinion, if they stayed with their aunt, they would not die. They might be always hungry and treated badly but I'm pretty sure the aunt would not go as far as not feeding them.

Q: Why didn't Seita used the money earlier?

A: Money had little value during that time, inflation was high due to the war and food is being controlled by the government. Notice the time when he was trying to buy from the farmer but the farmer declined. He was probably saving it for after the was when things stabilized, there is also the factor that he was waiting for his father to return.

Q: Then why did he withdraw everything at the end?

A: He was desperate!! Setsuko was sick and he was probably willing to trade all his money for anything that would nourish Setsuko even if they would not have anything left after that.

Q: I do not get his pride

A: Take note of that this is traditional Japanese Pride that we are talking about. This is the same pride of Japanese men who commit Seppuku (suicide - google it) when they shame themselves to preserve whatever pride and honor they have left. If you have watched "Letters from Iwo Jima", you can see soldiers charging on enemy line trying to take few enemy lives together with them on hopeless situations.

Also men in Japan is considered superior to women, he probably did not want to bow to his aunt because he was male. You also might want to consider that he was a son of a high ranking officer that probably added to his ego. While this might contradict to his act of stealing, he was probably very desperate during that time.

One thing I did not like was that he should have gone back to the aunt and left Setsuko there when she was feeling ill, atleast she would be taken care of there even if it separates them.

Q: Should we hate the aunt?

A: It is up to your own interpretation, the aunt was also doing her best to survive. Imagine yourself managing nearly not enough food for 3 people and yet you have to feed 2 more and didn't get something from them.

Q: Is this based on a true story?

A: Yes and No. The characters and settings were all fictional however it was based on the author's own life experience. For more information, search for Grave of the Fireflies novel
1340Dec 5, 2014 7:54 AM
Dec 6, 2014 2:27 AM

Jan 2013
Liked the Ashita no Joe OST reference.

As for the movie, I think they focused too much on the sibilings sufferings. Why didn't Seita try to do something to gain money for everyday food? What I liked the most is the characteristics of human beings during war time, this, they explained it perfectly. 8/10
Dec 8, 2014 5:17 AM

Jul 2013
^yeah Seita's a dick but I think it's mainly because he grew up thinking that everyone bows down to him because his father is a big shot in the navy. That's lack of discipline and I blame the parents.

But damn in Seita! it's your damn pride that killed your little sister! Setsuko my little angel! Fuck! :( He should've just gone back to their auntie, apologized and promised to work his ass off. I know he's just a kid too but... damn.

Anyway this show is just so beautiful and needless to say I cried. I did and hard.

Because of this, I realized how fragile human lives really are. From now on, I promise to cherish every moment I spend with my family because they will not be around forever. I'm sorry mama for all the shit I did.... God, why am I even saying this here?. I just feel so sad right now. :(((
Jan 2, 2015 3:36 PM

Feb 2013
Dropped at 30min. Skipped through the rest to see where it went, still boring.

Seeing this was Ghibli (not a fan), my expectations were already low, but wow, boring.
Jan 7, 2015 6:39 PM

Jul 2014
Yhneiil said:
Seita is a retard, seriously. I would even lick that lady's feet if it meant saving my little sister.

Difference in culture? maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that he valued his pride more than his sister.

Will they starve if they stay there? most likely, but will they survive? Yes, I pretty sure the aunt will not go far as to starve them to death.

Not to mention the environment they live in, no wonder his sister got that sick.

I feel really bad for his sister but I don't have a shred of sympathy for Seita.

That's why the author wrote the movie as an apology to his little sister, he failed her by not tolerating what her aunt was doing.
Feb 8, 2015 12:37 AM

Oct 2013
I don't have anything to say, really... this is just... one of the most harrowing and melancholic things I've ever watched, largely due to how painfully realistic it is. Making the main characters children feels like a manipulative attempt to get every ounce of sympathy possible from the viewer, and it sure as heck worked for me.

I didn't really understand the opening scene at all and still predicted the conclusion from the first 10-15 minutes or so. Yet, despite that, I still cried - just slightly. Then I said to myself, "wait, holy shit, did Seita die in the beginning of the movie?!" And I re-watched the opening scene and cried even more.

powerful, powerful film.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 8, 2015 12:38 PM

Dec 2013
Damn, these people must have gone through much. They don't even react to death anymore.
The story wasn't very original and as depressing as people say, I guess that's because I've seen enough live-action war dramas.
I enjoyed it nonetheless. I wasn't bored for a minute and that's quite rare in movies. Seita was a good character, very mature for his age.
Setsuko's death was quite sad but it kinda lacked conclusion.
The worst aspect was of course the music. That's normal in old production. So ominous sounding.
Overall a fairly good movie.
Feb 14, 2015 8:20 AM
May 2012
I just finished Spirited Away a while ago, which is my first Hayao Miyazaki/ Studio Ghibli movie. So, after that, this comes next, which is now my first Studio Ghibli movie. I actually picked them, cause I have a strong feeling towards them. I have planned this for quite some time, but only managed to do now.
Anyway, we can see that this movie is old. The animation and sound recording gives it away. Still, a great movie.
Seeing their mother like that, both of them tried to survive yet they suffered so much, and knowing that their father is long dead. It breaks my heart, man. I have read something back then that this is a true story?? Either way, it's still sad.
Seita should have just apologized to his aunt. He should have done it for his adorable and cute little sister :/ Well, can't blame him, though. He is just a young innocent man.
The place reminded me of the province we used to live.
I thought that I will cry watching this, but instead, my other eye started hurting, dafuq. I still wonder which Anime/Manga will manage to make me cry.
Still, a sad, touching, and inspirational movie, in my opinion.
Well, I'll just eat. After that, I shall finally watch Fairy Tail. I need something lighthearted. Thank you ^^
Mar 8, 2015 6:50 AM

Mar 2009
Was a really great movie. RIP.
Mar 8, 2015 1:31 PM

Jan 2014
Didn't make me cry (Prob because Kara no Kyoukai 7 dried my eyes out), but damn that was depressing. 8/10
Mar 21, 2015 8:34 PM

Oct 2013
For some reason it's either a hit or miss with me when it comes to Ghibli movies, I personally loved Howl's moving castle but thought this and Spirited Away were Okay-ish, I can tell with both movies why people love them but for me it just didn't click.

Apr 17, 2015 9:12 PM

Jun 2014
the only thing more depressing than the aunt eat scrapings from that pot was watching setsuko try to eat marbles and dirt.

that was so depressing. youre left with hardly a resolution. setsuko dies, he explains that he put her ashes in the tin can, and you have to remember the opening scene when he dies and the tin and everything.
Apr 21, 2015 7:39 PM

Apr 2015
10/f*cking10

Not just a movie for me, it's a lesson for the whole world. War is bad. Innocent people are always affected by wars. This made me cry a lot!

Just some info:
This was a real story from WW2 but the real Seita is still alive until this day. His death in the movie is the guilt he felt in real life when Setsuko died and he lived. I know, it's sad...
Apr 23, 2015 12:08 PM
Nov 2014
Psychedelios said:
10/f*cking10

Not just a movie for me, it's a lesson for the whole world. War is bad. Innocent people are always affected by wars. This made me cry a lot!

Just some info:
This was a real story from WW2 but the real Seita is still alive until this day. His death in the movie is the guilt he felt in real life when Setsuko died and he lived. I know, it's sad...

is Seita his real name ? whats hiss full name i want to know more
Apr 25, 2015 1:28 AM

Apr 2015
ZukirohVII said:
Psychedelios said:
10/f*cking10

Just some info:

is Seita his real name ? whats hiss full name i want to know more

It wasn't mentioned in the movie but this movie is semi-autobiographical and was written by Akiyuki Nosaka.
May 1, 2015 1:12 PM

Apr 2013
Watched it partly many years ago when I was a kid and it had great emotional effects on me back then. Now I rewatched it and I came to understand it a bit differently. It was a sad movie of course, I think it portrayed the hardships of wartime for the civilians quite well, but I didn't understand why Seita refused to work. They didn't show him even trying to get something to do, as difficult as it may be, and we are told he didn't even help fire fighting and such. And I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one to notice that.
But still, it's a very depressing movie (though I didn't tear up...), maybe it's more realistic than any of us will ever want to know and, as expected of Ghibli, it's high quality in art and sound.
May 4, 2015 9:18 AM

Aug 2007
Just rewatched it after last seeing it over 8 years ago. Still one of the most emotionally difficult films I've experienced. It's devastating, it shatters you and it gives you no real clear resolution other than the futility of war and human conflict.

One thing that has always bothered me is that I know people who hate this movie because of Seita making bad decisions. But the thing is that he's a child, he's still a kid. What do you expect him to do? I'll never understand people who expected this kid(who just recently saw his mother dying from severe burns and hasn't had any contact with his father since the attacks) to suddenly act like a superhero and make things right.

You're criticizing a film purely on unrealistic scenarios based on "what I would have done".

It doesn't work that way. Did he do some stupid, selfish things? Sure, he did. Do you expect a traumatized child to suddenly act like an adult and look at his situation in a realistic perspective?

Either way, none of that really matters in the long run. It's a story about children being thrown into a harsh, hopeless situation, and ending up in total social isolation. Takahata has repeatedly said that this is not an anti-war film. And to an extent I can understand that, but to me I still see it as that, as do many others.

It's one of those films that doesn't just feel and act like an anime film. It feels like something you'd see from Ozu, but animated.

May 20, 2015 4:36 PM

Jul 2009
Brilliant movie. I don't think I was prepared for how moving and harrowing it was going to be though. A very powerful story about war (although I don't think it's anit-war, it's essentially a story about humanity). 9/10.
Jun 15, 2015 9:05 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Since it was realistic, I'll give it a higher rating. I prefer the other Giibli movies. 9/10 seems right.

Jun 20, 2015 4:29 PM

May 2013
Tbh, this is my first Ghibli film and it did not disappoint. Though, it took me days to finish this because of rl stuffs so I'll rewatch this someday.

And i did not cried but im glad i didn't spoiled myself on who will die and ;-; 8/10
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jun 26, 2015 8:34 AM
Apr 2015
I first watched this about 10 years ago when I was 8 and I still get the chilling, tear jerking sensation every time I think about this anime.

Yes, after watching this, I spent the night bawling my eyes out and a few weeks later under depressed mode. Took me a while to cheer up.

This is one anime that I have a lot of respect for, and is one of the most depressing movie/anime I have ever seen.
Jul 2, 2015 9:38 AM
Aug 2011
I felt this movie's main characters deaths were a little on the stupid side. If they stayed with the aunt they would have a home and food especially through rations as the old man said. All they needed to do was apologize to the aunt and be a little more careful. They were only kicked out because of their pride and unwillingness to bend to the circumstances. In addition the main character could've worked at the aunt's house to fix relations or even while they were living in the shelter for money/ food. He actually even worked before his mother died at the steel factory near his school. In addition since the city was destroyed there would be plenty of opportunities to help work in construction. I really felt like the children just acted unreasonably and were too prideful. Still a sad story, but at least make the cause of their deaths not 80% their fault.
Look at my awesome sig :)
How do you make a sig?
Jul 31, 2015 3:00 AM

Jun 2014
Pride got the better of the lad and it killed his sister and burned bridges.
Aug 17, 2015 9:54 PM

Apr 2014
Everyone is nit-picking at this movie, while here I am just appreciating the experience for what it was worth.
Sep 11, 2015 11:33 PM

Nov 2011
I have mixed feelings toward this movie. I can appreciate the very realistic style in which is was portrayed, but at the same time I'm somewhat sad that we didn't get to see more of the personalities of the main two characters. I'm very much a fan of stories that center around events, or the unearthing (and perhaps changing of) character traits. When it comes to heavily thematic works like this one, I'm looking for some purpose in showing us all of this, a morale, if you will, and there wasn't really one to find here beyond a general "war is evil".

The way everything ended was incredibly unsatisfying. On the one hand, I understand that that may very well be the intention, yet on the other I feel like we're not getting a clear overall picture, which I think is important in stories focused on war (or, well, anything). As controversial (and depending on your view, missing-the-point) as it may seem, I feel that the film would have been better if it took a side, so to speak. What good does it do us to show the consequences of evil if we are unwilling to identify its source? From this perspective, I think the point I'm driving becomes more abundantly clear: It's almost as if this movie is mourning Japan's plight whilst also refraining from accepting Japan's responsibility for it.

I wonder how this movie would have been received in Japan had the setting been one of the islands they invaded prior to Pearl Harbor.

That being said, it did show the children's plight well all the same. I think everyone here is far too quick to cast all of the blame on Seita. He's only 14. He just lost his mom, and he has nowhere to work. He was already bringing in food to provide for himself and his sister through his mother's clothes (and, I will note, it was very rude of his aunt to insist on selling them given his mother's recent death) and his aunt was basically stealing it from him. She told Setsuko about their mother's death against his wishes, then scolded him every time Setsuko cried at night (which was the aunt's fault in the first place for telling her about her mother). She treated them horribly, like a burden- not like family. You're kidding yourself if you think that treating someone like that wouldn't drive them away, and requiring that someone humble themselves to the point of apologizing when they didn't even do anything wrong is heavy (even if it is the right thing to do); many adults in any part of the world would have had difficulty doing that, let alone a child enamored with the "greatness of Japan". And yet here we have everyone judging Seita as if it were some light and easy thing... I don't think he knew better. He was innocent.

[Let's have a response from every person who judges Seita in this manner, yet went back to people with whom they had a heated dispute and (on their own) apologized when they did nothing wrong- when they were 14 or younger.]

While I do think they could have survived with the aunt, I don't think it's fair to place the blame on them for not doing so.

There were other factors Seita couldn't control as well. His money was worthless while the war was still ongoing, and he could only trade so much. I personally thought he was doing quite well to be catching fish and frogs to eat, although it sounded like he was having trouble getting Setsuko to eat them.

Overall, despite the odds I think Seita handled the circumstances very well following his mother's death, and more than anyone in this movie he displayed love. It was clear that his motivations were to shelter his sister from the war and keep her happy. The amount of laughter and general happiness he brought her was commendable, even impressive in my opinion, despite the unfortunate outcome.

So in the end, it had good characterization, but poor framing. It was worth the watch even though the end result was mixed. It's probably not something I would rewatch.
Oct 3, 2015 12:01 AM

Aug 2011
Watching this after Hadashi no Gen just couldn't make it for me. I can't believe it that this movie feel so overrated compared to Gen.

**☾**
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Rewatch!?!

Jai_akash - Apr 22

22 by imjayhime »»
4 hours ago

» Useful for learning the Kansai dialect (J-subs)

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

18 by theSporz »»
Jan 17, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Did you cry after you watched this movie? (spoilers) ( 1 2 3 4 )

ss4gojetanks - Jul 8, 2011

186 by Neko_myanimelist »»
Jan 9, 11:23 AM

» Grave of the fireflies is not that much sad

Ishow_suii - Nov 16, 2023

24 by ToufiqHassan »»
Nov 17, 2023 4:26 AM

» I don't think I'll ever re-watch this movie. ( 1 2 )

Abyque - Sep 13, 2022

51 by Lungitar90 »»
Sep 11, 2023 4:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.