Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 21, 2014 10:44 AM

May 2012
Damn what a sad episode :/ but man it sure was good!
Feb 28, 2014 4:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Another very sad episode but I'm starting to wish they would abandon the "focus character dies" formula. I love the art and atmosphere and Luna being alive brings new interesting possibilites to this story.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 3, 2014 5:39 AM

Nov 2013
noteDhero said:
kashim said:
Possibly the best art direction in this series so far. It is what makes CS unique and awesome at the same time.

Totally disagree...that goes to the last episode for me.
Yet another focus character dies at the end...so surprising.

M_A said:
bad writing can make anything happen/not happen.

Exactly.
Your opinion means shit to the other 90% who thought this episode was good

Aug 26, 2014 2:17 AM

Nov 2011
agh shit

it hurts

the scene where Niko and Ringo were playing around with that soldier robot

......ofuk mane

saddest episode thus far

Next ep's preview looked interfesting. I'm starting to feel Dio's resemblance to Griffith (just because of that helmet thing). Shit. The unique character designs remind me of Disgaea's.
Apr 8, 2015 8:00 AM

Sep 2013
; /

Bolton was the star of the episode for me. Once some seemingly minute-antagonist, to a despairing cripple, to finding meaning in beauty and then suddenly losing it.
Dec 12, 2015 2:00 AM

Jan 2010

Can a robot experience loss? Can a robot create lores? Can a robot develop faith?

I've seen a lot of anime, films and books deal with robot emotions and sentience, but not exactly like Casshern is doing. Bolton was essentially a one-off character, but seeing him go from a nameless thug to a tragic wreck was quite the 22 minute journey. It made him, perhaps, the most interesting character thus far, surpassing even the reoccurring characters in my eyes. It's short and quick of course, and I doubt it'll be looked into in depth, but at least the thought is there.

While I considered it, I don't think it was ever stated how long the Ruin has been going on. With this episode, it's told that it has gone on for years. I don't know how time has affected the robots, as their rules for being are rather arbitrary. They're just as humans as humans, just with more metal and flesh. Because of this though, it's hard to tell how old these characters are. A child robot could very well be a hundred years old, and a large, bulky robot could have just been created. It's hard to tell their mental age as well, since these could have been programmed. The rules for robotics aren't exactly clear in this universe, but it does leave for a lot of interpretation.

That aside, I'm starting to appreciate Casshern Sins' colorful and whimsical approach to lightening up the show's mood. In other serious shows, I would have berated a them for blending comedic scenes into an otherwise dark, gritty setting. The setup just doesn't work, and the clash becomes an insincere way of capturing a general audience. Such shows become too afraid of picking a single tone. It can't be too serious or it'll kill the mood, but it can't be too chipper or else people won't stay invested. Yet, these shows jump between the two extremes, becoming disjointed and off putting.

Casshern Sins, even during its cutesy moments, never relinquishes its solemn feeling of dreariness. There's always this heavy undertone that never goes away, which shows a great respect to its setting and story. Casshern Sins is very consistent in this regard, and it's the primary reason why I'm still enjoying this show, despite myself not particularly liking depressing atmospheres.
Dec 12, 2015 5:13 PM

Jul 2015
It was a nice episode about handicap. Casshern Sins deals with depressing stuff like time flying by and acceptance of death, but in a curiously soothing way.
Jan 4, 2016 1:39 AM

Jan 2013
Another sad story, good episode.
Apr 18, 2016 8:39 AM

Nov 2012
I don't get why this has such a low score? This episode was good also. Ssaddest yet imo. Every episode had something interesting until now.
Apr 19, 2016 12:35 PM

Jul 2007
johnyjohny said:
I don't get why this has such a low score? This episode was good also. Ssaddest yet imo. Every episode had something interesting until now.

Because its deeper than your average show.

People expected robots killing robots and mindless action.
Instead got robots contemplating existence and finality of death.
May 4, 2016 9:56 AM

Jan 2016
i just started watching this serie, omg this episode was so sad, i really felt bad while watching it, its been a long time since some media made me feel sad, but im really enjoying this show ;)
Nov 14, 2016 12:38 PM
Oct 2015
damn the most sad episode!!!

Poor Nico..... :'(

the damn feels :'(
May 30, 2017 12:01 AM

Jan 2014
Nico dying was really sad...

but seeing Bolton cry at the end of the episode got to me really hard. I started crying :(
Jan 21, 2018 5:16 PM

Jun 2016
I never considered they might have meant to hint that Luna was still alive until I read this thread, I assumed it was another baseless rumor like "devour Casshern!".
Dammit, I really hope they don't go that route.
Jun 1, 2019 4:50 AM

Jul 2016
Tbh this Anime's plot is non-existent at this point. I hope the plot progresses.
Nov 24, 2019 3:31 PM
Time Traveler

Jun 2016
BIG OOF. That was way too sad.

Also, Luna is not dead !?
Hey you!
Yes you!
Have a nice day!
And best wishes for your life's journey!

Apr 12, 2020 1:58 PM

Apr 2008
Nico was such a nice girl...

This series can be really unfair sometimes. I have the worse memory and can't seem to remember if I cried or not. Maybe I was more upset? because this seems to happen a lot - wild robots attacking innocents but sometime Nico becomes a victim this time?

I probably was upset.

This is the first time Casshern was actually emotionally upset.
May 10, 2020 1:42 PM

Feb 2020
Oh my gosh this episode... This episode... It was just so good but at the same time so difficult to watch... It wins a well-deserved spot in my all-time favorite anime episodes but man wasn't it depressing.
This show is so good at making me feel emotionally attached to characters I don't know. Wow. Seriously I feel like this episode is gonna stay in my mind for quite a time.
Poor Nico, poor little Nico, I wanted so much for her to get a happy ending, I am just so sad for her, I spent the entire episode thinking about how she needed to be protected at all cost... My heart. It hurts.
And I feel so bad for everyone else. Ringo who lost a friend. Lyuze who also knew Nico and clearly cared about her. Bolton, this good ol'Bolton I didn't know 20 minutes ago but who I care about just as if I'd always known him (I got so scared for him during the fight) and who now is all alone... I hope they'll find him alive when they come back, but I have a very, very bad feeling.
And Casshern, this poor Casshern, losing someone once again... I was very surprised when he promised Nico he would make her meet Luna. It's not the first time we see him caring about someone, far from it, but it is the first time we see him showing it so strongly. It just makes the scene all the harder to watch.
I honestly don't care about the criticisms regarding this show. If it's boring, slow-paced, too gloomy or whatever. This show is one that hits you right in the feels in the simplest way. It doesn't try to make up drama that lasts for dozens of episodes, it doesn't try to make you feel for characters you don't care about. It just manages to make you care about people you don't know, just like that, in a matter of minutes. Maybe it doesn't work for anyone, but for me, it does. All those characters feel so human, so real, this is just beautiful in my opinion. For me this is exactly how to write tragic stories. By putting your heart into it. I love this show so much, I'm considering more and more giving it a 10 despite its flaws.
Now excuse me while I go cry a river.

Edit : I just read some of the comments on this thread... It saddens me how people always criticise things no matter what. Sometimes, the heart that has been put into a show is what makes it exceptional.
Nov 11, 2020 11:11 AM

Nov 2017
that robot crying at the end :(
Stay gold!
魔法よ魔法よ生まれておいで!
Sasuga Kasuga! Osaka fan club on MAL. Join us if you like Osaka-san!
Jan 24, 2021 12:52 PM
Dec 2019
Set up an innocent flower girl to kill her off, but not before her acts of kindness reach the cold-hearted. Wow, never seen that before.

It seems like the tragedy is what got everyone liking this episode. I didn't care for it.

The theme seems like a repetition of the last two episodes, somewhere along the lines of bringing beauty to a hopeless world from your heart, but the scenery made it worth it.
Jun 17, 2021 7:14 AM

May 2020
Man, I'm not really feeling this anime but damn it if this episode didn't make me emotional.

It might not be an original story but I really liked Niko and I think Bolton's VA did a phenomenal job in this episode. Bolton is really what makes this episode.
Aug 24, 2021 6:31 PM

Mar 2020
Pretty solid episode to return to after taking a long break from this series. Although I hate to admit it, I'm also in the camp of feeling sad when Niko died. I'm usually more emotionally detached wherever characters with mental disabilities are concerned because I often find that their depictions are manipulative and disingenuous, but the twist with her suffering from a defect in her hardware was different in a way I couldn't prepare myself for.

That being said, I don't understand why Niko was killed or even why the other robots were so anal about her and Ringo in the first place. I assume it comes from their anger about being left to die, but projecting that onto someone who is defenseless and innocent is pretty absurd to me. My best guess is that those robots were bitter about dying sooner than her and so wanted to go out as rashly and destructively as possible, but the episode could have done a better job at portraying that, especially since I consider the one-off characters in this show to have pretty solid characterisations thus far.

Someone else has already made the observation in this thread, but the uncanny resemblance one of the songs in this episode has with Yuna's theme from Final Fantasy X has really got me drawing all kinds of comparisons. While I have some hangups with the story and symbolism of FFX, I like the journey it takes me on and how it looks at life and mortality from multiple perspectives, which is something I think can also be said about Casshern Sins.
May 29, 2022 10:21 PM

Feb 2021
I don't get what the purpose of her death was supposed to represent. Is there like a deeper meaning to what's going on in the story?
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

92 by GabrielWhite »»
Feb 15, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 22 Discussion

shoxk - Mar 8, 2009

36 by P_e_r_i »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:17 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 20 Discussion

dbaranyi - Feb 18, 2009

28 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 4, 2009

93 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 16, 2008

94 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 24, 2023 9:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.