MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Fuse made the right choice?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade »» Fuse made the right choice?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
12-13-11, 4:01 AM

Choice?!

Fuse never had a choice to begin with.

01-19-12, 8:49 AM

I don't think so, but it was consistent with the story and his character. Although I thought for a second that he might actually shoot himself...

03-17-13, 4:24 AM

Well, I don't know what realy did happen and how and what became of Fuse. The girl died, that much I gather, but it was so strange, gives me pause.
Could Fuse leave with the girl? Even if he doesn't say anything concrete, we are told that no, it was against his nature, a wolf would never live another life. But even at the end I was not sure it was so. It sure is something others want Fuse to be, expect it so. One can make choices, after all. And Fuse struggles somewhat. Or does he? Perhaps instead of giving an answer Oshii makes us wonder more of it in relation to our life? There may be a fatalistic notion in all this, like when one cannot escape from duty or other tangles in life, however sad it was. The girl was caught in the plot and was given a role, a use but never a choice. The man was in special service and not by chance, but given the circumstances he appears to have some freedom. He does have some resouces to pull an unexpected move, but it passes and invisible shakles are stronger in the end. So unlike a lone wolf theme common to the west, this wolf only runs with a pack. In some movies of Kerberos saga, Oshii often compares Kerberos operatives to dogs, rather than wolves (i.e. guarding dogs, which Cerberus was), there seem to be somewhat different approach in this movie, but again, whatever they are, they are not like humans with ordinary lives.
Shooting himself would be too human, I guess.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.

11-01-13, 4:31 PM

He made the right rational choice, but failed to make the emotional choice, or something like that, I'd say.

From how I understood it, towards the end we get to know that the whole time, Fuse was basically just doing as he was told to, as he was 'supposed' to, kind of like how a role-model student studies hard because he's being told so and rationally seen, it's an easy way for life.
Fuse is being torn between his rationality/duty and his emotions; I think a very good scene was where he and that girl are on the roof and he goes like "What if we...no... no, forget about it". He was thinking and probably hoping to choose his emotions, but then he still chooses the rational, the "what he is supposed to do" decision, also in the last scene.
In the end, I can't really blame him for his choice. I mean, no matter what he'd have done, sooner or later he and the girl would be get caught by police/special force and be shot. At least realistically, and this ain't one of those animes where suddenly everything turns into an happy end defying all logic^^

So yeah, the movie is sad, depressing and realistic, and yet good since it makes you think about stuff :-)

01-21-14, 1:14 AM

It was tragic but sitting on more rational perspective he made the right choice even though it was emotionally hard on him although he really didn't have choice when they already started the ambush but when he still had time he could have just hide her but hmm... Yeah it would fit on the Grimm brothers reference for the story but I think it was better this way.
"Deep."

04-11-14, 3:16 AM

One of my fav endings ever.
And yes, I agree with the one who said Fuse didn't have a choice from the beginning. He had no other alternative; because he isn't human, he's a beast. Emotions developed in his heart has no value. He had to shoot, because the story demanded, because it was the only option for a beast.
Very tragic and depressing, yes. But utterly realistic; for a beast has no fairy tale ;__;
"As time passes, the day will come when everything will fade to memories. But, those miraculous days, when you and I along with everyone else, searched together for just one thing.....will continue revolving forever. Somewhere deep in my heart as my bittersweet memory"
~Yuuta Takemoto

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices