Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 26, 2008 11:58 AM

Oct 2008
I'd have to say this movies' ending was one of my personal favorites, Fuse did everything that I thought would make an epic conclusion.
I was just wondering what anyone else who'd seen the movie thought of it.
Dec 6, 2008 5:17 PM

Dec 2008
Although I wouldn't call it the "right" choice, I would say that it was the most fitting.

It was an excellent ending. Any other would not have fit this movie so well.

The wolf wins out in the end...
Jan 15, 2009 7:11 PM

Feb 2008
i need to watch this again. i never really understood it when i first watched it.
Mar 23, 2009 4:44 PM

Jul 2007
i've just watched it a second time, now a few years older i grasped so much more and the ending was perfect (with the credit music as well). and i really loved the original version of little red riding hood which is, of course, more brutal, but fits this film so perfectly. i wonder if the film was inspired by little red riding hood or just integrated after the general idea what the film will be about...

i love "bad" endings...
you think more about films if they end bad, at least if the story was decent at least...
GuybrushMar 23, 2009 4:58 PM
Apr 21, 2009 7:22 AM

Mar 2009
Well, personally I would have liked to have them go away from Tokyo and build a life together, although from the start of the movie I didnt know how it would end, but one thing was clear; it wasn't going to be pretty.
But honestly it is one of the most interesting endings I have even seen.
Apr 24, 2009 10:22 AM

Jul 2007
Falkoro said:
Well, personally I would have liked to have them go away from Tokyo and build a life together....

buuhhh!!!
BORING!!!
=D
May 25, 2009 9:45 AM

Feb 2008
It was more like Fuse made the only choice possible. They would have killed them both if he hadn't killed her at that moment.
Oct 1, 2009 5:38 AM

Jun 2009
I think his choise wasn't actually "right", 'cause he simply did the thing his inner self told him to do. It's not about choise, I think, it's just about who he is. Maybe, I'd better like to see Fuse transforming into one of the "herd" and they've both been killed... but the orginal ending is likely to fit the idea better, so I'd [almost always] leave it to authors of the story.

P.S.: the final song is totally awesome, I was sitting in front of the screen and couldn't move, filled with emotions. It fits the moment so much!
Jan 2, 2010 9:02 PM

Jun 2007
He had a number of choices.
1) He could have easily killed his commander and took cover with the girl before the other guy got to the building to snipe them.
2) He could have killed her and himself (like she wanted).
3) He could have just killed himself which would have resulted in them killing her.
4) He could have done nothing which would have most likely resulted in them both dieing.
5) He could have let them kill her.

The problem is from the start he had always known who he was and where he belonged. He even mentions this to the girl as she's going on about how she wants to leave the city and go find herself. So it was obvious that he'd choose this path despite his affection for this girl he's only known for a month or two. It's a sad ending but it's also bittersweet. If it didn't happen the movie would not have had the impact that it did.

As for the story as a whole, it was pretty confusing. Did he not shoot the girl at the beginning because the special unit wanted to use this moment as a way to find out who's trying to destroy their group? If that's the case than that just makes this even more amazing. Planning far ahead to snuff out rats and the opposition :D.

Not sure why they had the girl with a fake bomb or why they where trying to kill him/catch him though. Where they planning to say the special unit was working with the terrorists or something?
Jan 11, 2010 10:13 AM

Feb 2009
Milk-plus__ said:
I'd have to say this movies' ending was one of my personal favorites, Fuse did everything that I thought would make an epic conclusion.

His choice was right,imo.I didn't like the girl so i'm happy with this ending.
Well,at least it fits the show.
And the Special Unit was so cool that it would be a shame if he left it to run away with some c*nt... ^_^
9/10 from me

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Jan 12, 2010 1:16 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Nayah said:
It was more like Fuse made the only choice possible. They would have killed them both if he hadn't killed her at that moment.
They could have tried at least. I doubt his mind would've registered the option of them killing her if he didn't, on the spot, but still. Everything's better than this conclusion. I doubt he enjoys life too much now after what he's done.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Mar 28, 2010 10:42 AM
Apr 2009
*nature law is eat or to be meal. I Just curious one thing did Fuse know the other people watch him. if don't shoot the girl, they hit fuse and her. this is a only simple choise. is life simple choise? ;)
kullNov 5, 2010 1:17 PM
May 29, 2010 4:59 PM

Dec 2007
Wait, wasn't it pretty obvious that the dude with the sniper was the one who killed the girl, not Fuse?
Jun 21, 2010 8:19 PM

Jan 2009
leeree said:
Wait, wasn't it pretty obvious that the dude with the sniper was the one who killed the girl, not Fuse?

i thought about that too but that guy's gun its not even a sniper gun so his probably gonna shoot them 2 in barrage style if fuse decided to run away with her

well fuse acts like a wolf thats for sure he cant live without the pack thats why i think he decided to kill the girl

overall a very nice integration of the concept about the little red riding hood
Sep 24, 2010 1:00 PM

Feb 2010
leeree said:

No. Fuse's pistol smoke and the accompanying bullet wound are both shown rather clearly, albeit only for a brief moment when the camera angle pans down.

Anyway, I think whether or not Fuse made the morally right choice is only part of the question. The real question is whether or not he made the right choice for the movie's theme, which is a definite "yes." His ultimate compliance with orders, despite what he clearly feels is morally wrong (as well as subjectively traumatizing), demonstrates his inability to retain the humanity of which he shows signs at the beginning of the movie (where the situation is reversed: he follows his moral compass while denying his orders or even his instinct for self-preservation). The really tragic aspect of his choice is in the fact that only at that point does he finally become fully conscious of being emotionally manipulated by the politics of both factions, who will clearly stop at no levels of psychological violence to achieve self-preservation.

By the way, this movie is a highly under-appreciated masterpiece.
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
- The Little Prince
Nov 27, 2010 4:48 PM

Jul 2009
Fuse made the practical choice. Also, I can't help but feel there is some meaning to his actions. I feel that Kei wanted to escape her life, and her death could quite plausibly have provided just that.

As Fuse and Kei stood on the roof where the festival rides were, when the child fell and dropped his balloon the balloon drifted freely upwards. I can't help but feel there was some symbolism in that action, that it represented the freedom that can only be achieved once released from the hands of the living. Perhaps I am over thinking it, but I can't help but feel there was some significance to that scene, to Kei wanting to die with Fuse, and to Kei ultimately dieing in the end.
Mar 3, 2011 8:47 AM

Feb 2009
Fuse made the only possible choice, for him that is. If he wanted to continue to live, like a wolf, she couldn't stay alive. This story is perfect, I can't believe I'm saying this but this story is simply perfect.
Jun 19, 2011 6:37 PM

Aug 2008
The story is confusing at times. I Think they started making their counter intelligence plans after the meeting at the board about Fuse's punishment. I believe the people that wanted to Bring the special unit down knew about Fuse's emotional problems and sent in that girl Kei. I also think Fuse didn't know about this until he was given the photos and information about the girl Kei from his wolfpack. When he was setting up Kei I believe he had second thoughts when he told her arent you going to run away.
What I really didn't understand was that dream he had about the girl being chased by him and then eaten by the wolves.

About Fuse making the right choice; I know one thing for sure if he would have left Kei alive they weren't going to be living happily ever after.
Sep 5, 2011 10:57 AM
Sep 2009
stonnyfor said:

What I really didn't understand was that dream he had about the girl being chased by him and then eaten by the wolves.

immortalrite said it well, that was his morality and emotions conflicting with his sense of duty. Even at that point he was conscious of what it would end like for the girl.
Oct 20, 2011 1:36 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Right choice to complete the circle. The wolf eats Red Riding Hood.

Excellent story.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 13, 2011 4:01 AM

May 2009
Choice?!

Fuse never had a choice to begin with.
Jan 19, 2012 8:49 AM

Aug 2010
I don't think so, but it was consistent with the story and his character. Although I thought for a second that he might actually shoot himself...
Mar 17, 2013 4:24 AM

Feb 2010
Well, I don't know what realy did happen and how and what became of Fuse. The girl died, that much I gather, but it was so strange, gives me pause.
Could Fuse leave with the girl? Even if he doesn't say anything concrete, we are told that no, it was against his nature, a wolf would never live another life. But even at the end I was not sure it was so. It sure is something others want Fuse to be, expect it so. One can make choices, after all. And Fuse struggles somewhat. Or does he? Perhaps instead of giving an answer Oshii makes us wonder more of it in relation to our life? There may be a fatalistic notion in all this, like when one cannot escape from duty or other tangles in life, however sad it was. The girl was caught in the plot and was given a role, a use but never a choice. The man was in special service and not by chance, but given the circumstances he appears to have some freedom. He does have some resouces to pull an unexpected move, but it passes and invisible shakles are stronger in the end. So unlike a lone wolf theme common to the west, this wolf only runs with a pack. In some movies of Kerberos saga, Oshii often compares Kerberos operatives to dogs, rather than wolves (i.e. guarding dogs, which Cerberus was), there seem to be somewhat different approach in this movie, but again, whatever they are, they are not like humans with ordinary lives.
Shooting himself would be too human, I guess.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Nov 1, 2013 4:31 PM

Aug 2009
He made the right rational choice, but failed to make the emotional choice, or something like that, I'd say.

From how I understood it, towards the end we get to know that the whole time, Fuse was basically just doing as he was told to, as he was 'supposed' to, kind of like how a role-model student studies hard because he's being told so and rationally seen, it's an easy way for life.
Fuse is being torn between his rationality/duty and his emotions; I think a very good scene was where he and that girl are on the roof and he goes like "What if we...no... no, forget about it". He was thinking and probably hoping to choose his emotions, but then he still chooses the rational, the "what he is supposed to do" decision, also in the last scene.
In the end, I can't really blame him for his choice. I mean, no matter what he'd have done, sooner or later he and the girl would be get caught by police/special force and be shot. At least realistically, and this ain't one of those animes where suddenly everything turns into an happy end defying all logic^^

So yeah, the movie is sad, depressing and realistic, and yet good since it makes you think about stuff :-)
Jan 21, 2014 1:14 AM

Jun 2010
It was tragic but sitting on more rational perspective he made the right choice even though it was emotionally hard on him although he really didn't have choice when they already started the ambush but when he still had time he could have just hide her but hmm... Yeah it would fit on the Grimm brothers reference for the story but I think it was better this way.
"Deep."
Apr 11, 2014 3:16 AM

Jan 2013
One of my fav endings ever.
And yes, I agree with the one who said Fuse didn't have a choice from the beginning. He had no other alternative; because he isn't human, he's a beast. Emotions developed in his heart has no value. He had to shoot, because the story demanded, because it was the only option for a beast.
Very tragic and depressing, yes. But utterly realistic; for a beast has no fairy tale ;__;
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Oct 12, 2014 12:17 AM

Mar 2012
Fuse made the practical choice and I certainly won't fault him for that in this situation. There was never going to be a "Happily Ever After" to be found here and I truly respect the film for that take.
Jul 29, 2015 6:34 PM

Jun 2010
A nasty end made keener by the fact that despite his reactions at the end of the film, Fuse apparently saw it all coming. Surely his visions of wolves eating Kei and also himself, stony-faced, shooting her were a recognition of where the Wolf Brigade plot was leading.
Jul 31, 2015 3:25 PM

Jun 2015
Kei reciting the last part of the story shows that she wants to die in his arms... Damn not all stories have happy endings, but I think it fits well in this case.
Nov 16, 2015 11:01 PM

Jul 2013
Fuse made the choice that kept him as a beast. A beast is a beast.

The only real choice he had to make was if he wanted to die with her. As others have said Fuse didn't have a choice like an animal who lives based on their need and instinct.

A fitting end to a fine film.
retributionisblind.wordpress.com
Dec 29, 2015 5:40 AM

Sep 2014
Right choice: Kill them all after killing the girl.
May 9, 2016 3:18 PM
Apr 2016
The_Deceiver said:
Right choice: Kill them all after killing the girl.

Considering his situation, he was already compromised. I doubt he would get out alive if he did anything other than kill the girl. Besides the movie, the entire conflict of their universe is having their armed unit survive which is barely through many means either sabotage or assassinating other government members.
Jun 5, 2016 2:36 PM

Mar 2015
This movie had a darker version of the story of Little Red Riding Hood than I had remembered...

The ending is so poignant, because up until the meeting in the sewers, you think (I though) Fuse is human and his friend is a wolf. In the end, it turns out to be the other way around. Honestly, that girl - both of them - they were terrorists, they knew what they were doing and deserved to die. However, it was painful how that woman was allowed a delusion for a while that she could have her happy ending. That is the most brutal point of the movie, if anything.
Jun 28, 2016 11:52 AM

Mar 2016
Mogami-kun said:
I thought for a second that he might actually shoot himself...

I was actually hoping that he'd kill her then kill himself
Jul 7, 2016 11:14 AM

Jul 2016
He. Made. The. Worst. Choice.

EVER

Sep 25, 2016 8:43 AM

Aug 2012
kisami said:
i need to watch this again. i never really understood it when i first watched it.

Im so lost as well haha
Nov 3, 2016 4:50 PM

Feb 2016

Im going to check out the manga and other Kerberos-saga related stuff and leave this amazing music her(the shift is at 2:33 if anyone wonders).

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 25, 2016 1:39 PM
Aug 2016
Best ending to me *-* after Fma brotherhood
Feb 10, 2017 1:47 PM

May 2016
Well he could have killed the other guys that is not impossible for a wolf righ?
Nov 28, 2017 9:19 AM

Jul 2011
Though it was impossible for them to go and live together like a normal people, I really see no point in killing her.
The "reason" that keeping her alive could give a chance others of finding her, is just ridiculous.
She could be way more valuable for their organization alive than dead imho.

So I'm not satisfied with the ending at all.
Of course I understand that script writers made it intentionally to play hard with emotions, but for me it rather feels cheap and false.
Apr 23, 2018 8:13 PM
Oct 2009
immortalrite said:
leeree said:

No. Fuse's pistol smoke and the accompanying bullet wound are both shown rather clearly, albeit only for a brief moment when the camera angle pans down.

Anyway, I think whether or not Fuse made the morally right choice is only part of the question. The real question is whether or not he made the right choice for the movie's theme, which is a definite "yes." His ultimate compliance with orders, despite what he clearly feels is morally wrong (as well as subjectively traumatizing), demonstrates his inability to retain the humanity of which he shows signs at the beginning of the movie (where the situation is reversed: he follows his moral compass while denying his orders or even his instinct for self-preservation). The really tragic aspect of his choice is in the fact that only at that point does he finally become fully conscious of being emotionally manipulated by the politics of both factions, who will clearly stop at no levels of psychological violence to achieve self-preservation.

By the way, this movie is a highly under-appreciated masterpiece.

this is a good post
May 31, 2021 12:43 AM

Feb 2018
nick_el_son said:
Though it was impossible for them to go and live together like a normal people, I really see no point in killing her.
The "reason" that keeping her alive could give a chance others of finding her, is just ridiculous.
She could be way more valuable for their organization alive than dead imho.

So I'm not satisfied with the ending at all.
Of course I understand that script writers made it intentionally to play hard with emotions, but for me it rather feels cheap and false.

It felt contrived and banal. He's never shown to be particularly beastlike anyway — the movie opens with him choosing humanity in the face of a tense situation with possibly dire consequences (including his own death), and while one could say that his ultimate decision brings the movie full circle, this return feels less like the conclusion to a hero's journey or a necessary Sophie's choice than ghastly manipulation for its own sake, or perhaps that of demonstrating fealty.

Focusing more on Kei's perspective and the popular resistance/systemic terrorism dynamic would have vastly improved the characterization and made the setting feel realistically dismal rather than bureaucratically pessimistic.
Fuse's stoicism is markedly superior to the quintessential anime overacting but was nevertheless slightly overdone.
NordstjaernanMay 31, 2021 12:49 AM
Aug 26, 2022 12:15 AM

May 2021
Indeed, the ending was nice and the choice was the right one, why he should give up his military career and his own well being just for being with some random girl(a terrorist, also) that tried to use him for his own benefit? She deserved to die and our hero will eventually find a more proper girl for him, he isnt a bad guy after all, very respetable dude to be honest

More topics from this board

» Satoshi Kon got nothing to do with the script

Vanhibiki - Mar 21

3 by Theo1899 »»
Mar 22, 8:14 AM

Poll: » Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Veethorn - Jul 14, 2010

92 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 6, 3:05 AM

» Tatsuki Fujimoto just recommended this!!!

Chiragthegreat - Dec 17, 2023

5 by Steez76 »»
Dec 18, 2023 3:22 PM

» Kei Amemiya from "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade" (1999)

RJDA - Feb 21, 2023

0 by RJDA »»
Feb 21, 2023 6:50 PM

» Do I need to watch any other movies in the "Kerberos saga" before I watch "Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade"?

BearfootTruck - Dec 28, 2020

2 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 26, 2022 4:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.