HxH 99>*
Jan 7, 2013 12:00 PM

May 2011
SetsukoHara said:
HxH>FMA:B≥FMA 03.

But they are all good to me.
Jan 7, 2013 1:38 PM

Nov 2011
There is no need for a thread like this.... FMA B, Old FMA , and HxH 13 are all great

Jan 10, 2013 7:09 AM
Dec 2009
HxH 99 > FMA:B > HxH 2011 = FMA
私は今呼ばれる狂気を信じる
Jan 10, 2013 10:38 AM

Apr 2012
They're both better than the "big three", so who cares. Sides, you can also mention Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jan 10, 2013 2:41 PM

Mar 2012
sushi55 said:
They're both better than the "big three", so who cares. Sides, you can also mention Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I like JJBA a lot but story-wise it isn't that much at all :/
End Zionazism
Jan 13, 2013 1:56 AM
Dec 2012
My rating is something like this (so far)

HxH 99 > FMA B > HxH 2011 > FMA

Reasoning:
HxH 99 is by far the best written and directed out of the four. Both the source material and the many directorial additions work in tandem to create what I believe is, or will ever be, the best shonen style anime. This adaptation represents not only the power of the source material but the creative ability to take that to the next level in anime.

FMA B follows with lesser writing, direction and so on. One moment; a fight, as it were, in FMA B that stands out and possibly surpasses HxH 99 is *spoiler* Al vs. Crimson & Pride. Though short, that encounter embodies the 'cool' of FMA B in a single moment.

Unfortunately I am not such a fan of the new, 'true,' HxH anime adaptation. It lacks the style and tone of '99 and instead endorses a much neater though less interesting take on the story as a whole. I often feel that I am watching the manga as an animation rather than a different platform, or medium, of storytelling. It suffers from pacing issues and often plateaus at strange moments in an episode. However, I feel that Madhouse is improving with every few episodes; neatly in time for the Chimera Ant Arc >:)

FMA: I don't have much to say. I enjoyed it but it pales in comparison to Brotherhood in almost every way. A good adaptation no less, but those near-closing lines from Ed represent my feelings towards the storytelling: "Stop fu*king with me!"

TL;DR. narrow opinion over
Feb 24, 2015 3:44 AM
Oct 2011
'11 > Brotherhood > '03 > '99

The only one I particularly dislike is '99. The rest are good even if '03 has some absolutely horrible anime adaptation ideas thrown in there they make up for it with some cool ones as well.

Oh, as for HxH vs. FMA on the whole(using brotherhood and '11/the mangas as a guide):
FMA has a magnitude of cringe humor that never stops with screaming chibis even well into the climax while HxH actually has some genuinely funny jokes. FMA is mostly just screaming or hitting while HxH has a wider array of jokes and is generally much more subtle with them. Granted humor isn't a major part of either franchise and the Armstrong family is pretty consistently funny so there's that.

FMA's plot is mostly original and enticing, big army conspiracy nonsense aside, but its themes were all simple and/or standard fare with stuff regarding the Gate as a personal standout. HxH consists of a lot of amusing twists on standard plots and has some more original moral messages brought about in a somewhat grey-scale moral world. Also with HxH a lot of stuff can be analyzed for deeper character or message meaning while FMA is pretty black-and-white and fully comprehensible in a first time viewing. FMA's story is much more guided and linear while HxH jumps more "organically" and apparently now will focus more on Leorio, Kurapika, and Ging. I'm not sure if I prefer one style over the other, though HxH's is less common.

On the whole I prefer HxH's characters, but FMA has a lot more with mostly concluded and satisfying arcs. I can't exactly count this against HxH when it isn't finished, though. Both introduce interesting characters consistently throughout the series, and while both franchises have some great characters I just generally "like" an HxH character more frequently.

I give the animation end to Brotherhood, even if it was the shorter series. HxH is still well done, but I like that Bones style of animation. For the soundtrack all 4 are mixed bags, but FMA has the best OP/EDs.
Corporal_AtlasFeb 24, 2015 7:20 AM
Feb 24, 2015 4:42 AM

Jan 2014
FMA= FMA:B > HxH 2011 >>>>> HxH '99

FMA is just better in most respects. Tells a more intricate story with more interesting and likeable characters and combines more genres for an overall well-packed story. HxH is too inconsistent in comparison, and '99 was just bad. Half of it is spent on one of the less interesting arcs and slowest starts in anime in general. Couldn't finish it when the better 2011 version was available to watch.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 24, 2015 6:57 AM

Jun 2014
HxH > FMA;B ≥ HxH 1999 > FMA03

They are all great.
Feb 24, 2015 8:03 AM

Oct 2013
Agafin said:
HxH > FMA;B ≥ HxH 1999 > FMA03

They are all great.

The coorect order is....
HxH99=HxH2011(CA arc :P)>FMA2003>FMAB

But jokes aside they are all great in their own ways.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Feb 24, 2015 8:04 AM

Feb 2014
If hxh had some kind of closure, then maybe it would
Feb 24, 2015 8:17 AM

Jun 2014
hentai_eucli said:
If hxh had some kind of closure, then maybe it would

Did you also see FMA;B as "not belonging to the shonen demographic?"
Feb 24, 2015 8:20 AM

Dec 2012
Hhunter x Hunter (1999) >>> (2011) >>>>>>>>>>>>>> FMA:B
Feb 24, 2015 8:21 AM

Jun 2014
^^ You gave it a 7 though, there can't be that many ">"s
Feb 24, 2015 8:23 AM

May 2014
I dont they're comparable to be honest

They both may carry similiar themes but the way each is excecuted is very unique to themselves
I've been here way too long...
Feb 24, 2015 8:27 AM

Jun 2013
2011>FM:B

Chimera Ant arc is too stroooonk.
Feb 24, 2015 8:29 AM

Mar 2012
People need to stop comparing HxH to crap.
End Zionazism
Feb 24, 2015 8:37 AM

Jun 2011
HxH 1999 => FMA:B > FMA >>>>> HxH 2011.

Can't decide which one I like better, HxH 1999 or FMA:B. Maybe HxH 1999 a little bit more but it lacked the emotional impact that FMA:B had. I still put it in front of FMA:B though, slightly.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 24, 2015 8:42 AM

Jun 2014
I wonder if FMA 2003 and HxH 1999 would still be ranked so low (well not so much) on this site (or elsewhere) if FMA;B and HxH 2011 never existed
Feb 24, 2015 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
Agafin said:

7 by my ''I'm new to anime'' standards, which is a 5 or a 6 by my standards today, don't feel a point in changing it.

I would re-watch FMA:B just to see why it's praised so much, maybe I've missed a lot of stuff, when I first watched, but then again the thought of watching it again, bores me a lot.
Feb 24, 2015 11:18 AM
Oct 2011
tsudecimo said:
Agafin said:

7 by my ''I'm new to anime'' standards, which is a 5 or a 6 by my standards today, don't feel a point in changing it.

I would re-watch FMA:B just to see why it's praised so much, maybe I've missed a lot of stuff, when I first watched, but then again the thought of watching it again, bores me a lot.

It's easy to watch, widespread, and relatively well-done, so it's basically the Bebop effect.
Feb 24, 2015 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
FMA:B > HxH 1999 > HxH 2011 > FMA (2003)
Feb 24, 2015 11:35 AM

Jan 2014
Corporal_Atlas said:
tsudecimo said:

It's easy to watch, widespread, and relatively well-done, so it's basically the Bebop effect.

He doesn't like Bebop either.

Interesting to see all the choices for '99. This should have a poll.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 24, 2015 11:43 AM
Jul 2018
RedRoseFring said:

People who prefer the original over the remake is a rare breed.
Feb 24, 2015 6:52 PM

Aug 2014
HxH 2011 >>>> FMAB >> HxH 99 >>>>> FMA
Feb 24, 2015 6:54 PM

Jul 2012
GreenSoap said:
RedRoseFring said:

People who prefer the original over the remake is a rare breed.

Not really.
Feb 25, 2015 7:22 AM

Mar 2014
HxH >> FMA 2003 >>> FMAB

tsudecimo said:

^ I am thinking about the same thing, but I think I'll abstain since the first 10 and the last few episodes were pretty much the only ones that I found impressive.
Feb 25, 2015 7:28 AM

Dec 2012
danae17 said:

tsudecimo said:

^ I am thinking about the same thing, but I think I'll abstain since the first 10 and the last few episodes were pretty much the only ones that I found impressive.

My exact sentiment. But rather than impressive, memorable is a more fitting word for me.

Most of my thoughts on FMA:B are this simple:
Exciting beginning, forgettable and boring middle (which is the majority of the show) and a good albeit anti climactic ending.
Feb 25, 2015 11:03 AM

Jan 2014
danae17 said:
HxH >> FMA 2003 >>> FMAB

tsudecimo said:

That's actually interesting because those are generally the least liked episodes.
Taking your post in opposite would then be a better perspective.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 25, 2015 12:36 PM

Mar 2014
RedRoseFring said:

That's actually interesting because those are generally the least liked episodes.

At first I found very interesting the main plot because then the series was deeper and more serious (like the priest at Lior, the incident with Nina, and Hughes). As the series went by, I found the villains to be kind of boring (I am talking about the 7 sins mainstream concept).

What I did not like at the middle of the series was the shounen-ish part with the little girl and her pet and the other minor characters, as well as the part with Armstrong's sister (pretty boring for me). It was not bad, but what I expected from FMAB was a more mature, interesting and captivating story. I hadn't checked the genres back then, so I am to blame, but that's the reason why I was kind of disappointed- I thought it would be way better if there was no shounen element or unfitting comedy. The last episodes were pretty good though.
DanaeFeb 25, 2015 12:39 PM
Feb 25, 2015 4:01 PM

Jan 2014
danae17 said:
RedRoseFring said:

At first I found very interesting the main plot because then the series was deeper and more serious (like the priest at Lior, the incident with Nina, and Hughes). As the series went by, I found the villains to be kind of boring (I am talking about the 7 sins mainstream concept).

What I did not like at the middle of the series was the shounen-ish part with the little girl and her pet and the other minor characters, as well as the part with Armstrong's sister (pretty boring for me). It was not bad, but what I expected from FMAB was a more mature, interesting and captivating story. I hadn't checked the genres back then, so I am to blame, but that's the reason why I was kind of disappointed- I thought it would be way better if there was no shounen element or unfitting comedy. The last episodes were pretty good though.

So....you don't like the shounen elements in FMA, but you like them in HxH?

And the part with the little girl and her pet were among the first 10 episodes of the series.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 26, 2015 10:12 AM
Dec 2013
HxH (1999) > HxH (2011) >>>>>>>>>> FMA: B >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FMA (2003)

Honestly don't care for either versions of FMA tbh. I remember dropping FMA (2003) 5 minutes into the first episode the first time I watched it. I found FMA (2003) confusing at times. Later found out it's an unfaithful adaptation of the manga with lots of filler. I like FMA: B a little more (episodes 13 to 19 were great), but either way, I find the plot unengaging in both versions of the show, and don't care for the characters. I dropped 2003 and haven't finished Brotherhood yet, but I don't think my opinion's going to change.
wildhoodFeb 26, 2015 1:30 PM
Feb 26, 2015 10:19 AM

Dec 2013
HxH and FMA are basicly equals to me, but as time passes I'm leaning more towards FMA. It's more story centered and had a satisfying conclusion, and overall I like everything about it slightly more.

But I believe if HxH will ever be continued and concluded it could easily become the next FMA:B. Well at least in quality, I doubt about the popularity.
Feb 26, 2015 10:20 AM

Oct 2012
It can't, it hasn't and it will not.
Feb 26, 2015 10:22 AM

Mar 2012
FMA:B ripped off HxH on several occasions FYI
End Zionazism
Feb 26, 2015 10:26 AM

Jan 2015
Hunter x Hunter(2011) > FMA:B. I did not watch FMA, so this is my opinion: Hunter x Hunter chimera ants arc >>>>> all FMA:B
Feb 26, 2015 10:27 AM

Mar 2012
Trazilibo said:
Hunter x Hunter(2011) > FMA:B. I did not watch FMA, so this is my opinion: Hunter x Hunter chimera ants arc >>>>> all FMA:B

What the fuck are you doing, do not shame me.
End Zionazism
Feb 26, 2015 10:28 AM

Jun 2014
DrizzyXP said:
According to your list you haven't even watched FMA;B. I'm honestly confused.
Feb 26, 2015 10:31 AM

Oct 2012
Agafin said:
DrizzyXP said:

I have watched half of it (I need to update that) and read the manga in its entirety. I don't feel like I need to watch the rest of the FMA anime to reply to such a simple question.
Feb 26, 2015 10:51 AM

Jun 2014
DrizzyXP said:
Agafin said:

I have watched half of it (I need to update that) and read the manga in its entirety. I don't feel like I need to watch the rest of the FMA anime to reply to such a simple question.

Oh, I couldn't make such a bold claim after only watching half an anime but maybe that's just me.
Feb 26, 2015 11:05 AM

Mar 2014
RedRoseFring said:

And the part with the little girl and her pet were among the first 10 episodes of the series.

No. What I meant is, I think the specific story of FMA is unfitting for this genre.
She appeared in episode 15 and I am pretty sure she stayed around for quite a while in order for me to notice :p
Feb 26, 2015 11:08 AM

Nov 2010
danae17 said:
RedRoseFring said:

No. What I meant is, I think the specific story of FMA is unfitting for this genre.
She appeared in episode 15 and I am pretty sure she stayed around for quite a while in order for me to notice :p
You're talking about Mei and her midget panda cat dog, he's talking about Nina(the girl and her dog).
Feb 26, 2015 1:40 PM

Mar 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
danae17 said:

You're talking about Mei and her midget panda cat dog, he's talking about Nina(the girl and her dog).

You're right haha thanks for clearing it up, I had forgotten her name.
Feb 26, 2015 4:34 PM

Jan 2014
danae17 said:
RedRoseFring said:

Yeah, Turtle is right.

And do you mean demographic? Because FMA encompasses a lot of different genres. If so, then HxH would kind of fall under the same category, as many don't think it fits its demographic either.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 27, 2015 4:41 AM

Mar 2014
RedRoseFring said:
danae17 said:

Yeah, Turtle is right.

And do you mean demographic? Because FMA encompasses a lot of different genres. If so, then HxH would kind of fall under the same category, as many don't think it fits its demographic either.

I just think it would be better off as a seinen series. Regarding HxH, I found the first arcs kind of cheerful and it seemed like it targeted the wrong age group, but it got better later on imo.
Feb 27, 2015 4:21 PM
Oct 2011
What about FMA would make it better as a seinen? It doesn't seem like it had any trouble capturing the attention/views of kids. If anything I think HxH would have a harder time capturing its demographic in more recent arcs since it's even more talking than it used to have. AFAIK that hasn't been an issue, though.
Feb 28, 2015 6:45 AM

Mar 2014
Like I've read above, my opinion is that FMA could be way better if it had a more dramatic atmosphere, seriousness and depth, as well as avoid the shounen mood while fighting. I wasn't talking about its age group target..
About HxH, we'll see if there's still a difference since a new arc, probably as big as CA is being prepared.
Feb 28, 2015 6:26 PM

Jan 2014
danae17 said:
Like I've read above, my opinion is that FMA could be way better if it had a more dramatic atmosphere, seriousness and depth, as well as avoid the shounen mood while fighting. I wasn't talking about its age group target..
About HxH, we'll see if there's still a difference since a new arc, probably as big as CA is being prepared.

Funny enough, those things you said it didn't have are usually what it gets praised for. That applies more to FMA 2003 than Brotherhood though.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 28, 2015 7:46 PM

Nov 2010
danae17 said:
Seinen is only a demographic tag, only the target age and gender group, it has no other real definition. Say dramatic atmosphere, depth, etc instead because there are many seinen stories that don't have that at all so it doesn't help at all.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014

animeboilolz - 4 hours ago

17 by -Vortex »»
2 minutes ago

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

915 by Thesk8er2000 »»
Apr 19, 3:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

44 by PushedCaraway »»
Apr 19, 12:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.