Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Dec 24 - 30

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 6, 2013 12:58 PM

Jun 2009
dtshyk said:
Temporal Blu-ray + DVD Sales Rankings for Autumn 2012 the first volumes
*1, 14,458 Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
*2, 13,550 Girls und Panzer

Nice^^
Chuunibyou and GuP are doing well...
Jan 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Apr 2012
Tyrel said:
Everyone so surprised about Little Busters. No one watched Clannad or what? Pretty dull first season until the latter half. Little Busters is pretty much doing same except with mediocre art (Which has Improved since the beginning of the first 10+ Episodes.

Finally, someone who's actually seen more than the first 3 episodes and understands that this show isn't horrible just because JC Staff is handling the production (I particularly like the art direction, but it's all personal opinion).

GodlyKyon said:

Why is Chunnibyou selling so well? Kyoto Animation. I wish KyoAni would just stop wasting their money and finally produce a Haruhi season 3 -_-

I really didn't understand did KyoAni not adapt Little busters and instead chose something like Chunnibyou. UGH. If they adapted LB I believe the first week would've had 20k sales

Hmmm...while I respect opinions differing from my own, your list would indicate you haven't even seen Chuunibyou (or Little Busters!, for that matter) or perhaps dropped them after the first few episodes. If that is the case, you haven't seen the development as the series neared its end (referring to Chuunibyou) and became one of the best shows of the Fall season (not perfect, but better than any other shows I saw).

Also, as far as a third season of Haruhi is concerned, Haruhi's voice actress was involved in quite the scandal and she has vowed to quit being a voice actress since she now hates all otaku.

So unfortunately, I think the chances are pretty low for that.

Oh, and I forgot to mention:

*3, *7,306 *7,306 Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb vol.1 Limited Edition
*4, *6,969 *6,969 Hyouka vol.7 Limited Edition

Hell yea!
AndyRayyJan 6, 2013 5:03 PM

Jan 6, 2013 1:32 PM

Nov 2009
AP24 said:
I'm surprised To Love-Ru Darkness sold more than To Love-Ru first season and Motto To Love-Ru.

I expected it, people say it's a lot better than the original series (manga-wise) so probably fans supported the anime in the same fashion since it was also done well! Darkness needs a second season to continue the rest of the story

Misdreavius said:
Amarrez said:
I'm really surprised LB sold that many.

Hopefully they're buying simply to show support for KEY, not the anime adaptation itself.

Showing support for KEY would be actually buying the games instead. IMO buying the adaptation is obviously to and will support the adaptation and JC Staff, but obviously most of these sales would stem from the fact that it's a KEY adaptation.

True story, buying the visual novels would be the way to support Key directly.

KhanhCPham said:
It appears "Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You" didnt even enter the ranking.

Too bad not many people favor the new(changed) character designs :(

dtshyk said:
*5, 10,115 Little Busters!

A good number for a slow-paced anime with a bad start, will anticipate the rising sales
MagicFlierJan 6, 2013 1:38 PM
Jan 6, 2013 2:07 PM

Jul 2011
AndyRayy said:
Tyrel said:
Everyone so surprised about Little Busters. No one watched Clannad or what? Pretty dull first season until the latter half. Little Busters is pretty much doing same except with mediocre art (Which has Improved since the beginning of the first 10+ Episodes.

Finally, someone who's actually seen more than the first 3 episodes and understands that this show isn't horrible just because JC Staff is handling the production (I particularly like the art direction, but it's all personal opinion).

Oh God no, here we go again.

Why people still thinks that all the complaints about Little Busters are because "oh it's being done by JC Staff so its automatically bad"? Little Busters Hate "just for being done by JC Staff" is mostly over now.
I know that when LB adaptation was announced to be in hands of JC Staff a lot of people stupidly labeled it automatically as "bad, will be a failure" (and that's why I love this article), but right now a lot of people are watching and judging for what it really is. Liking or disliking for what it is.

The fact is that this adaptation is a lot controversial and handled by a poor team. For a lot of people, JC Staff is not doing the best they can with the original source (I'm on this side too, but I won't bring back this discussion here) and the predictions of the sales were not good; of course, being a Key work with some faithfulness to the events of the VN is enough to guarantee a position among the commercial hits of Fall Season, but lackluster production values are holding it from selling as good as other Key adaptations.

Now, we can see that the sales were a bit better than expected, that's why people are surprised.

Edit: I like the art direction too. But they could do better with animation (didn't need to be something KyoAni-tier, but more consistency to avoid some "funny screencaps" would be better)
MiyamorisJan 6, 2013 2:13 PM

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Jan 6, 2013 2:23 PM

Apr 2010
Generally from the Japanese blogs I look over, Little Busters is very well liked in Japan by fans of the original game... but its kinda confusing to new people and not bringing in new fans as much as the Key adaptions by KyoAni. Most fans of the original games only real complaint is about the animation quality.

Jan 6, 2013 2:26 PM

Sep 2009
GINTAMA all the way b*tcches !!!! *,,* x))
though iit needs 1st place.. but I am happy that this epicness of masterpiece in anime world is keeping up with new things <3
*ANIME I.NTERE.ST*----> +IN anime pictures and get FREE anime & manga merchandize from JAPAN!
Jan 6, 2013 2:47 PM

Jul 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Generally from the Japanese blogs I look over, Little Busters is very well liked in Japan by fans of the original game... but its kinda confusing to new people and not bringing in new fans as much as the Key adaptions by KyoAni. Most fans of the original games only real complaint is about the animation quality.

About the game fans, that's what I heard too, but I do wonder if there's VN fans that are boycotting the anime just for the already mentioned reasons of "hating JC Staff". I do believe that some fans are truly radical.
And about the new people, that seems to be part of the problem. Does somebody know how much new fans stuff like Clannad/Air/Kanon got with KyoAni adaptations?

--

Ah yeah, focused so much in LB! that forgot to mention earlier...

dtshyk said:

*7, *3,992 *3,992 Aquarion Evol vol.9
20, 1,206 *,**1,206 Aquarion Evol vol.9
38, *1,555 **1,555 Psycho-Pass "abnormalize"

I don't really liked it. :/
But Psycho-Pass is doing better than I expected and Hyouka is always great, so fine week.

Jan 6, 2013 2:57 PM

Oct 2007

Yeah as much as I hate to admit it cause Kyoani fanboys did totally shit on the adaptation before it aired by not being done by their majesties for the most part I do see people actually critiquing it on it's own merits and shortcomings now which is progress as far as I'm concerned. Though I will say I don't think the fact that that Pet no Kanojo show clearly showing more of a budget has helped the matter as Key fans seem pretty butthurt about that.

j0x said:

cool that Chuunibyou is doing fine but Psycho-Pass deserves more sales damn, so that means japan mostly like moe ecchi anime now a days

I don't think Japan only likes moe ecchi anime these days otherwise nothing else would be produced period. It's just that when it comes to producing what people consider a hit (10K and above) and moving blu-ray units the deck looks to be horribly stacked against anything that doesn't have tons of moe and ecchi in it unless you're Sunrise or something. They're just about the only producers I've seen regularly crack that 10K barrier this decade with something that isn't really easy to categorize as moe or ecchi slice of life type stuff. I guess Jojo will tell the tale though.

Mod edit: added a spoiler because of a very long quote
koleareJan 7, 2013 6:54 AM
Jan 6, 2013 3:23 PM
Sep 2011
Tyrel said:
dtshyk said:

Blu-ray
10,115 Little Busters! vol.1 Limited Edition

Glad to see it sold that well, despite the lack of people liking Little Busters here on MAL. It's doing pretty okay for sales in Japan.

I'm glad someone is hapy about it because I'm not, a massive problem I have had with little busters from the second I saw how little effort JC staff put into the animation while their crappy fanservice harem show(you know, the one about the cats) looked amazing. Why the heck would you put bad animators on a show from a really REALLY popular series that would likely sell you a tonne and the good animators on a show not guaranteed to sell at all?
/rant over.
edl01Jan 6, 2013 3:28 PM
Jan 6, 2013 3:24 PM

Sep 2012
Hard to compare a long running seinen manga like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to a Visual Novel game. Very different expectations from very different audiences I would think. Proof in the numbers I guess.
Jan 6, 2013 3:29 PM

Apr 2010
hpulley said:
Hard to compare a long running seinen manga like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to a Visual Novel game.

JoJo is Shonen Jump, not Seinen.

Jan 6, 2013 3:32 PM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
hpulley said:
Hard to compare a long running seinen manga like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure to a Visual Novel game.

Was Ultrajump for the last few parts when I was reading it, very seinen since 2004. I still read Ultrajump monthly... It has grown up with its audience.
hpulleyJan 6, 2013 3:36 PM
Jan 6, 2013 3:35 PM

Apr 2010
hpulley said:
RyanSaotome said:
hpulley said:

Was Ultrajump for the last few parts when I was reading it, very seinen.

Well yeah, later on it went to it. But the part thats being adapted is Jump (it was in Jump from 87-2004).

Jan 6, 2013 3:37 PM

Apr 2012
For all the people out there who think that JC Staff decided of their own accord to not allocate more money to Little Busters, please take a look at this thread that I just copied over:
AndyRayyJan 6, 2013 4:50 PM

Jan 6, 2013 3:38 PM

Sep 2012
RyanSaotome said:
hpulley said:
RyanSaotome said:
hpulley said:

Was Ultrajump for the last few parts when I was reading it, very seinen.

Well yeah, later on it went to it. But the part thats being adapted is Jump (it was in Jump from 87-2004).

Don't you think the current anime audience is reading Jojolion in Ultrajump these days? I am.
Jan 6, 2013 3:40 PM

Jul 2011
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Yeah as much as I hate to admit it cause Kyoani fanboys did totally shit on the adaptation before it aired by not being done by their majesties for the most part I do see people actually critiquing it on it's own merits and shortcomings now which is progress as far as I'm concerned. Though I will say I don't think the fact that that Pet no Kanojo show clearly showing more of a budget has helped the matter as Key fans seem pretty butthurt about that.

Well, the comparisons with Sakurasou budget really make people more butthurt, but they add for the misunderstandings against JC too. Warner is the one to blame for LB low budget.

edl01 said:

I'm glad someone is hapy about it because I'm not, a massive problem I have had with little busters from the second I saw how little effort JC staff put into the animation while their crappy fanservice harem show(you know, the one about the cats) looked amazing. Why the heck would you put bad animators on a show from a really REALLY popular series that would likely sell you a tonne and the good animators on a show not guaranteed to sell at all?
/rant over.

See, we just got one example in this very thread.
(Nothing against you, @edl01, but as people said above LB budget for animation is a matter of sponsors, not the studio. People from fandom need to be more careful of who they are blaming for certain problems in anime production, and well, that includes you.)
MiyamorisJan 6, 2013 3:48 PM

Jan 6, 2013 3:40 PM

Apr 2010
People who think JC Staff is the one allocating the budget just have no idea how anime production works. They are only the animation studio that the producer of the show hires. Its Warner Brothers that is allocating the budget for Little Busters, and Media Factory is the one funding Pet Girl. Both producers just happened to hire JC Staff to animate their shows and gave them the budget.

hpulley said:
Don't you think the current anime audience is reading Jojolion in Ultrajump these days? I am.

Sure, but its not adapting those series. Its adapting the shonen part. Phantom Blood and the 2nd part (I forget its name) ran in Shonen Jump, so its a Shonen Jump anime.
RyanSaotomeJan 6, 2013 3:44 PM

Jan 6, 2013 4:05 PM

Sep 2009
jmal said:
Besides, Sakurasou is actually a pretty damn good show on its own merits if you ask me. I did not expect much from it but it constantly surprises me even if it's not perfect. It's a bit too hyperactive at times, but it has an immense amount of heart and conveys its emotions well. I know I'm not going to convince anyone who has already decided they hate it, but I simply can't agree with the implication that it's not "worthy" of its pretty decent production values, or whatever. I think it's making quite appropriate use of them.

There's still an outside chance I may even end up importing it, because I think I like it about as much as I do Little Busters, which is one of the shows I'm importing.

Good to see there are some people who think so. Too bad japaneese audience wasn't impressed. But they'll most probably adapt all the LN volumes as it was with ToraDora so I don't care about the sales.
Jan 6, 2013 4:05 PM

Apr 2012
jmal said:
Besides, Sakurasou is actually a pretty damn good show on its own merits if you ask me. I did not expect much from it but it constantly surprises me even if it's not perfect. It's a bit too hyperactive at times, but it has an immense amount of heart and conveys its emotions well. I know I'm not going to convince anyone who has already decided they hate it, but I simply can't agree with the implication that it's not "worthy" of its pretty decent production values, or whatever. I think it's making quite appropriate use of them.

There's still an outside chance I may even end up importing it, because I think I like it about as much as I do Little Busters, which is one of the shows I'm importing.

Finally, finally, finally...

FINALLY someone who realizes this! Most people who drop this show are those who saw the first two episodes (particularly the second one) that were a bit fanservice-y for my tastes, but the rest of the series (especially the 13th episode with the festival) has blown me away.

In fact, I think I prefer this over Little Busters just because of the superior story and characters at this point.

Jan 6, 2013 4:10 PM

Jul 2007
Well, I guess SAO sales now pretty much guarantee the rest of the novels being animated. WIN WIN WIN.

Otherwise, except for SAO and Hellsing Ultimate, nothing too noteworthy.
Jan 6, 2013 4:22 PM

Oct 2007
RyanSaotome said:
People who think JC Staff is the one allocating the budget just have no idea how anime production works. They are only the animation studio that the producer of the show hires. Its Warner Brothers that is allocating the budget for Little Busters, and Media Factory is the one funding Pet Girl. Both producers just happened to hire JC Staff to animate their shows and gave them the budget.

hpulley said:

Sure, but its not adapting those series. Its adapting the shonen part. Phantom Blood and the 2nd
part (I forget its name) ran in Shonen Jump, so its a Shonen Jump anime.

I legitimately did not know this about J.C Staff, but now a lot of things make more sense to me.
Jan 6, 2013 4:50 PM

May 2011
Looks like girls and panzer has potential of 2nd season here.
Jan 6, 2013 4:59 PM
Mar 2010
AndyRayy said:
Also, as far as a third season of Haruhi is concerned, Haruhi's voice actress has been involved in quite the scandal recently and she has vowed to quit being a voice actress since she now hates all otaku.

Recently? It's well over a year at this point. And the blog post you linked to is a repost of a Sankaku Complex article, which means it has zero credibility.

Whether or not to have a Haruhi season three does not hinge on Hirano anyways. It's up to Kadokawa, the publisher of the novels. If they decide to fund another season, they'll either offer her the role and she'll accept it, or offer her the role and recast her when she turns it down. With a slim chance of them deciding to flat out recast her though odds are against that.

A vocal relative minority of complainers is not going to affect the studio's decisions in the matter.
Jan 6, 2013 5:18 PM

Apr 2012
GrayArchon said:
AndyRayy said:
Also, as far as a third season of Haruhi is concerned, Haruhi's voice actress has been involved in quite the scandal recently and she has vowed to quit being a voice actress since she now hates all otaku.

Recently? It's well over a year at this point. And the blog post you linked to is a repost of a Sankaku Complex article, which means it has zero credibility.

Whether or not to have a Haruhi season three does not hinge on Hirano anyways. It's up to Kadokawa, the publisher of the novels. If they decide to fund another season, they'll either offer her the role and she'll accept it, or offer her the role and recast her when she turns it down. With a slim chance of them deciding to flat out recast her though odds are against that.

A vocal relative minority of complainers is not going to affect the studio's decisions in the matter.

True, "recently" wasn't the best word to use, but stating that Sankaku Complex has zero creditably is almost as ridiculous as saying that Fox News is not creditable since they are a conservative news outlet. Just because you may not like them doesn't automatically discredit them.

I'm not sure how many of SC's article's you've read, but while a lot of them are just opinions and top ten type things, there are many that offer sources for the insights into the industry that they provide. The reasons I chose that particular article was because the title of it pretty much summed up her reaction to the whole thing (if you want a more reliable source, it's pretty easy to Google it).

Indeed, Ayu Hirano's status is not the deciding factor for whether Kadokawa animates more of the series, but let's just be real: people complain as much as it is whenever the seiyuu for a dub or even the original is changed slightly, so do you really think they'd take the chance of continuing an anime that's based entirely around her character with an entirely different person?

And as far as this vocal minority is concerned: you do realize that this "vocal minority" is the minority of fans that actually goes out and keeps the industry alive? So pissing them off will affect a studio's decision, at least more so than you seem to imply it would. Otaku have said that they hate her and will not support her, so I'd wager that any studio would be hesitant to recast a figure hated by the most financially relevant fans.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I'd hate to derail this thread any further.

Jan 6, 2013 5:21 PM

Mar 2009
dtshyk said:
Here are the weekly Blu-ray & CD rankings for December 24th - 30th.
Blu-ray
*4, *6,969 *6,969 Hyouka vol.7 Limited Edition

seeing how well its selling I hope they get a season 2 or maybe a movie :'(
Jan 6, 2013 6:21 PM

Mar 2011
Nice, LB! is better than predicted, bit definitely lower than the previous Key Adaptations.SAO still strong and pretty consistent. I just hope that JC staff put more effort on LB especially on the animation and maybe they will, especially after it got pretty good sales number...
Jan 6, 2013 6:24 PM
Mar 2010
AndyRayy said:
True, "recently" wasn't the best word to use, but stating that Sankaku Complex has zero creditably is almost as ridiculous as saying that Fox News is not creditable since they are a conservative news outlet. Just because you may not like them doesn't automatically discredit them.

I'm not sure how many of SC's article's you've read, but while a lot of them are just opinions and top ten type things, there are many that offer sources for the insights into the industry that they provide. The reasons I chose that particular article was because the title of it pretty much summed up her reaction to the whole thing (if you want a more reliable source, it's pretty easy to Google it).

Enough articles to realize that no, they don't even have as much credibility as Fox News does. They're basically a tabloid. Their coverage of Kannagi going on hiatus and returning from it serves as an excellent example. Particularly as their coverage of it's return from hiatus and the author's explanation of her illness is non-existent.

Also in the case of the article you posted, Sankaku Complex themselves updated their article of Hirano's denial of that claim. Naturally they dismiss her denial, but that really comes down to who you find more trustworthy. And I still find Hirano more trustworthy about her own life that a "news" sight that has posts with titles like "Aya Hirano Announces “XXX” Debut, Bares Pussy" and the article itself contains merely the news about her new single titled “TOxxxIC”, and pictures of her self with her cat. As well as the claim "After a long hiatus – which she attributed to contract issues" and a link to an article where she says nothing of the sort, and SC themselves are the ones speculating "This is all thought to be the result of contractual or agency issues".

So yeah, a "new" site that constantly trolls when posting "news", and claims it's own speculation to be something said by an artist has zero credibility. Even when they're reposting anonymous gossip from other websites.
Jan 6, 2013 7:52 PM
Sep 2012
Horizon quietly looming to 20k again... Fucking suspense...I'm beginning to think this series has one of the poorest fanbase currently. Just buy it on the first day! Lmao. Loan some cash on loansharks or something!!!
Jan 6, 2013 8:19 PM
Jun 2009
Roloko said:
Yay Little Busters! is selling a lot even though its not as good as Clannad, Angel Beats!, or Kanon just yet.

What is all on the Kuroko fan disk?

I didn't know that Magi and Ao no Exorcist had character songs I must download them sometime.

Kuroko no Basuke Fan disc contains the following.

1. Let's Chat (Short Episode in Maji Burger with Kiseki no Sedai)
2. Trip To Namja Town ~ Kuroko no Basuke event (With Ono Kenshou (Kuroko), Ono Yuuki (Kagami) and Kimura Ryouhei (Kise))
3. Opening and Ending songs (with slide shows etc...Not sure how to describe that)
4. Character songs
5. Postcards (Kiyoshi & Kuroko, Momoi & Riko, Kagami & Aomine)
Jan 6, 2013 8:59 PM

Nov 2010
Now, WB and J.C staff : Hire better staffs (esp. director) and multiply your budget for Refrain. Why don't invest at something that has a potential AND sells?
Jan 7, 2013 7:10 AM

Apr 2010
#14 - Love Live
#63 - Maoyu
#92 - Minami-Ke 4
#94 - Senran Kagura
#187 - Da Capo III
#256 - Idolmaster Puchimas
#451 - OreShura
#847 - Hakkenden
#2412 - Amnesia
#3035 - Cuticle Tantei Inaba

The early Winter preorder rankings. Pretty early to say anything too definitive, but I'm glad that the Idol trend looks like it'll continue.

Jan 7, 2013 7:23 AM

Sep 2009
I'd prefer to see 2nd AKB0048 season instead of Love Live there
Jan 7, 2013 7:42 AM

Sep 2012
AndyRayy said:
but stating that Sankaku Complex has zero creditably is almost as ridiculous as saying that Fox News is not creditable since they are a conservative news outlet. Just because you may not like them doesn't automatically discredit them.
GrayArchon and jmal have already given very good points about the lack of credibility of sankakucomplex but I still want to say a few things. Stating Sankaku Complex has zero credibility is NOT ridiculous, even though I would put it more charitably: it has a little bit credibility but it is nonetheless very much a discredited tabloid site. In fact I would say that it is even worse than Fox News because for things reported in Fox News you can easily check on other sites or channels to check the discrepancy and its mistakes, distortion or omissions, but in the case of Sankaku you face the language barrier and this means many readers, most of them do not read Japanese, cannot find out what mistakes, distortion or omission Sankaku made. On top of it, its quotation of "Japanese source" made it sound like it is faithfully translating the material and presents the information as it is but in fact it rarely does so, and that can be without much difficulty confirmed by checking the Japanese sources but the language barrier (and the tediousness of going through the various sources in Japanese) means that few people notice there is such problem with the site. Many thus easily believe the stories as reported by Sankaku to be the only fact and see this as true reflection of the industry or the fans in Japan (and the Aya Hirano opinion you quoted is just one example). This just helps spread an unhealthy misunderstanding of Japan by fans in western world, who find the site a convenient source to quote for their mean and mocking attitude about Japan.

AndyRayy said:
I'm not sure how many of SC's article's you've read, but while a lot of them are just opinions and top ten type things, there are many that offer sources for the insights into the industry that they provide.
Actually this is precisely the reason why this site is so bad and the situation is so sad. People in the west could not find a site that offers a plain and fact-based reporting about the industry and has to rely on this SC site for information. But the challenge is how to read it to get the correct information? One would need to find out the mistakes, notice the distortion and fill in the omissions to actually get the actual useful information. Many would not go this far to find the real information.

AndyRayy said:
The reasons I chose that particular article was because the title of it pretty much summed up her reaction to the whole thing (if you want a more reliable source, it's pretty easy to Google it).
Except that the article and the title of it is not a good summary of her reaction. That link points to 3 SC articles, 2 of them were way too old and for the most recent article most of the contents there were just cherry-picked bits of fan reactions in 2ch (of course the more eye-catching reactions got the pick, not the more commonsensical ones). The ultimate source is from a short article in Cyzo, a tabloid news site in Japan, and it quotes an anonymous "anime industry person" saying she "seems to hate otaku". In fact, one can read that article as just a reflection of Hirano being frank. I am sure whoever went over the same ordeal of fans petitioning to get her sacked or spreading malicious rumor about her on the net would find good reason to hate those "otaku". But here the tabloid just had to make it sound like she hates all the otaku in general because it suits its purpose to gossip and kick up fusses. And as GrayArchon observed, Hirano has more than once expressed clearly that she is not giving up her seiyuu career or abandoning her seiyuu past. So saying "she has vowed to quit being a voice actress since she now hates all otaku" is very much far from truth as it is.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 7, 2013 7:47 AM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
I'd care more about Love Live having a good early ranking if they removed the CG dancing. Because of that I can't even watch it.

Well, I haven't seen the episode yet but if its anything like Aikatsu, I'll be fine with that. Not everyone has the budget Idolmaster had, which is what you'd need to do dance scenes without CG.

Jan 7, 2013 7:54 AM

Sep 2012
hpulley said:
I guess shojo fans don't own DVD players? I don't understand as the DVD is 4725 yen (3467 on sale at amazon) while the BD is 5775 yen (4273 on sale at amazon) so you don't save much by getting the DVD.
I guess you meant to say shojo fans don't own BD players? It is a well-known fact that female anime fans buy mainly DVD not BD. This topic is often brought up in anime forums in Japan. Call it gender-based stereotype if you want, but apparently many of those who buy the DVDs just do not notice any image quality inferiority compared to BDs, so the small price difference between BD and DVD does not become any motivation for those people to switch to buying BDs. And of course for those people they simply don't see any need for a BD player either.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 7, 2013 8:02 AM

Apr 2010
While not a manga adaption, Uta Prince sold quite well. But yeah, it is rare for a shoujo to sell.

Jan 7, 2013 8:07 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
I'd care more about Love Live having a good early ranking if they removed the CG dancing. Because of that I can't even watch it.
This is the main debate point in 2ch about Love Live. The positive reactions for its first episode is overwhelming but there are a sizable number of people saying "but if only the CG dancing can be done without CG". So overall my general impression is that people are finding Love Live a very very worthy rival to Idol Master and I can easily feel the intense passion of people watching it (and quite many of them actually have been to some Love Live live events before and so are established fans already) and the CG issue is more a tolerable annoyance rather than a show dropper.
RyanSaotome said:

Well, I haven't seen the episode yet but if its anything like Aikatsu, I'll be fine with that. Not everyone has the budget Idolmaster had, which is what you'd need to do dance scenes without CG.
Even those who laments about the CG dancing in 2ch came to admit that nowadays it is no longer realistic to call for no CG for scenes like this group dancing (or for that matter mecha actions). One thing that fans find particularly jarring is how frequent it switches between the CG and non-CG scenes. That said, I think the CG in Love Live is much better than Aikatsu. As much as I call myself more tolerant of CG, the CG in Aikatsu still got me to drop the show after 5 episodes. I guess a lot depends on what is on offer outside the brief CG intensive scenes. Many are finding what's being offered in Love Live to be tremendously entertaining.

Speaking of CG, I watched a special program about ViviPan (Vivired Operations) and it has a long section of it about its CG. The heavy CG used there for the transformation and combat scenes of those girls looks impressive, as they claimed that they combined a lot of human adjustments and corrections in the CG as well. So I guess the key is not whether the CG should stay or go (it will have to stay, for budget's sake) but how it is best combined with the conventional method and techniques to produce the best product. Love Live may be just another step in that direction.

Jan 7, 2013 8:08 AM

Nov 2008
so Ao no Exorcist Movie is already out huh
Jan 7, 2013 8:16 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
]I think it's more that shoujo anime doesn't usually sell on BD or DVD. What's the last shoujo manga adaptation with decent disc sales, Kimi ni Todoke? That's the most recent one to come to mind. Home video just isn't the revenue stream they're counting on.
True, it would apply in the case of Say I Love You whose DVD/VD hpulley was talking about, though I believe there is also a point of why shoujo anime or anime with a lot of female buyers seems to sell more on DVD than BD. This is the case for KamiHaji and many other shoujo anime. Kaibutsu is actually more an exception with around half of its sales being on BD. And for Say I Love You since there is no number we cannot tell whether the DVDs or the BDs sold more.

Jan 7, 2013 8:21 AM

Feb 2010
Can't say I'm glad about LB, but it was expected. I'm glad Kamisama Hajimemashita is doing okay, I really enjoyed that one :)
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 7, 2013 9:29 AM

Apr 2010
Whats so terrible about CG, anyway? I generally never even notice it until I hear people complaining about it and then I look for it.

Jan 7, 2013 9:55 AM

Apr 2010
I dunno, most scenes people say were "ruined by CG" I thought looked really good (like the Berserker fights in Fate/Zero). And I do pay attention to animation, so typically stuff that is animated well like the CG stuff I enjoy.. its better than having something at 4-8 FPS, at least.

But when I say I don't notice it, its like the Strike Witches and VividRed examples you gave... I don't remember seeing any CG in those, so if there was CG, it was hidden well in the animation and only enhanced it. -shrug-

Jan 7, 2013 10:58 AM

Feb 2012
RyanSaotome said:
I dunno, most scenes people say were "ruined by CG" I thought looked really good (like the Berserker fights in Fate/Zero). And I do pay attention to animation, so typically stuff that is animated well like the CG stuff I enjoy.. its better than having something at 4-8 FPS, at least.

But when I say I don't notice it, its like the Strike Witches and VividRed examples you gave... I don't remember seeing any CG in those, so if there was CG, it was hidden well in the animation and only enhanced it. -shrug-
You don't notice when characters look like 3d models and move awkwardly?

You've seen Infinite Stratos, one of the most horrible cases of CG, yet you still don't notice it? That's odd man. Also, Berserker in F/Z is a really bad example. ufotable actually does the cg well.

Thing is most other studios/shows do it horribly wrong where it looks awkward and out of place. It's part of why I hated IS and killed my enjoyment of AKB0048. Strike Witches was tolerable since they didn't use it in every single action scene.

Also, as a recent example, Girls und Panzer used CG on the characters in the very first ep in the first few min with all the tanks. Thankfully they stopped using it after that ( Or greatly reduced it since I didn't notice it after that ep )

If you really want to start noticing it, I'd rewatch some scenes of IS on youtube just so you can see how horrible it is.
Jan 7, 2013 11:10 AM

Apr 2010
Well, maybe "Didn't notice it" isn't the right wording... but its not something that makes me start ignoring whats going on in the scene just to focus on the CG. Like I wouldn't even think twice about it since I'm paying attention to whats going on, not looking for if theres CG in a scene or not.

For Infinite Stratos, I assume the CG was with the mechs? I guess it was there, but it didn't bother me enough to care about it. Its just not one of those things that jumps out to me enough to really think about. Its just there. Its only when theres stuff like Aikatsu, which has a whole 2 minute segment of CG dancing without any real animation that I really notice it. And even then, it doesn't bug me... its just like a video game.
RyanSaotomeJan 7, 2013 11:13 AM

Jan 7, 2013 11:45 AM

Feb 2012
RyanSaotome said:
Well, maybe "Didn't notice it" isn't the right wording... but its not something that makes me start ignoring whats going on in the scene just to focus on the CG. Like I wouldn't even think twice about it since I'm paying attention to whats going on, not looking for if theres CG in a scene or not.

For Infinite Stratos, I assume the CG was with the mechs? I guess it was there, but it didn't bother me enough to care about it. Its just not one of those things that jumps out to me enough to really think about. Its just there. Its only when theres stuff like Aikatsu, which has a whole 2 minute segment of CG dancing without any real animation that I really notice it. And even then, it doesn't bug me... its just like a video game.
Ah well. I wish I could watch shows without being bothered much by CG like you, but alas.

jmal said:
Yvese said:
Also, as a recent example, Girls und Panzer used CG on the characters in the very first ep in the first few min with all the tanks. Thankfully they stopped using it after that ( Or greatly reduced it since I didn't notice it after that ep )

They still CGd their heads sticking out of the tanks during battles here and there, but they were SW-style quick cuts.

Hm I figured as much. Luckily the only thing on the characters that were CG'd in GnP were their heads.

Jan 7, 2013 12:18 PM

Oct 2011
RyanSaotome said:

But if we are talking about Aikatsu... those are ugly (not as hell or AKB0048) but for some reason fit this plastic/gamish idea of this series.
Still after few episodes I don't mind them (or get used to their mass use) and can enjoy the series.

And speaking of AKB0048 they improved - they've met quality of Fresh Precure ending. But are no longer so... bothering/painful for me.
Yet I can understand why those are there and that there is not much to be done about it, so it's best to get used to those :(
Jan 7, 2013 12:26 PM

Apr 2010
If they can get to the level of recent Precure CG dances, I'd be all for CG stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CvaqTgVTUs

This looks great.

Jan 7, 2013 12:41 PM
Aug 2012
Key fan here. One who actually buys the games and who actually just got the first volume of LB delivered today. You guys are right, the anime version is nothing all that special, certainly it doesn't deserve to go above 10k. But it did, and I was really hoping for more. If you actually cared to study sales of Key Anime adaptations, you should have known too. The Toei version of Kanon that was released in 2002 was not that great of an anime but it easily did over 10k sales.

Why did the subpar adaptations by Toei and JC sell so well? Well as a fan I can tell you, I already pre-ordered this thing before the first episode was even broadcasted. Frankly I'm just glad to see the show animated, we all know Kyoani didn't want to animate LB. I was just happy to see and hear the cast back and see some LB moments animated on the TV screen. Most die-hard key fans would gladly throw 8k yen to see more of a franchise they love. Actually I'm disappointed by the sales, I was really hoping we could beat out chuunibyou to spite Kyoani, that studio is just too good at making anime though.
MoeWatchinMadmanJan 7, 2013 12:44 PM
Jan 7, 2013 1:32 PM

Mar 2012
Seeing LB sell so well made my day :)

Just hope it doesn't encourage JC to rush and lower the budget of the remaining arcs
Jan 7, 2013 1:54 PM

Sep 2012
symbv said:
jmal said:
]I think it's more that shoujo anime doesn't usually sell on BD or DVD. What's the last shoujo manga adaptation with decent disc sales, Kimi ni Todoke? That's the most recent one to come to mind. Home video just isn't the revenue stream they're counting on.
True, it would apply in the case of Say I Love You whose DVD/VD hpulley was talking about, though I believe there is also a point of why shoujo anime or anime with a lot of female buyers seems to sell more on DVD than BD. This is the case for KamiHaji and many other shoujo anime. Kaibutsu is actually more an exception with around half of its sales being on BD. And for Say I Love You since there is no number we cannot tell whether the DVDs or the BDs sold more.

So if disc sales aren't the revenue stream for shojo manga then what is it? I will be watching the manga sales figures eagerly this month to see if they get an anime bump as both have new volumes coming out this weekend. I know I ran out and bought all the volumes of both Sukitte and Tonari as soon as I saw their animes but the books are so cheap, 10 volumes cost less than one 2-episode volume BD that it makes me wonder about the economics of it.

Is Chihayafuru considered shojo? Its manga does extremely well but the anime did not sell that well and yet, here comes season two...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
2 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM

» Netflix Announces 'Garouden: The Way of the Lone Wolf' Anime for May 2024

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.