Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jul 13, 2015 10:25 AM

Mar 2013
I honestly felt like they wasted Gai's potential of a character within the series. Yes he was considered a "joke" of a character, but looking past that he was pretty competent and very perceptive

Since he was considered a great detective they should've used that piece of his character to figure out who started the huge plot holes the series has to reveal the truth of who created the gates and what the syndicate truly is/ who are the true big shots within that organization.

Overall I'm giving this series 7/10. Wasn't to bad
Jul 13, 2015 8:47 PM
Jul 2013
Very enjoyable series. I'm glad I gave it a chance, it is definitely a lot more than just a simple action show.

9/10
Aug 4, 2015 4:14 AM

Jul 2014
And so it ends...for now.
rating this a 7/10, as it left a lot of unanswered questions, as well as taking forever to hook me in.
All in all, it was an enjoyable ride, and i look forward to what the sequel series does for this show.
Aug 7, 2015 3:49 AM

Jun 2014
This was a very good anime. Loved the structure the series had and I wish there was more of it... Oh wait I don't know if I should watch the sequels or not for now, but I'll see...
:3
Aug 28, 2015 7:30 AM
Jan 2015
Hey, one thing. There were two possibilities: either PANDORA will make gate disappear and contractors along with it; or Amber and Hei will blow up whole Japan to prevent it. And in the last episode Hei comes up with an idea of disabeling anti-gate particle and of course does that. Just like that. But… why? Why did Amber prefer to destroy the whole country instead? Why didn’t they do that in South America? Isn’t it a bit stupid? I just don’t understand it. If you could explain, I would be very gratefull.
Nov 4, 2015 4:55 AM
Dec 2011
yes i love it ... yin and hei they are great together :3 everything was explained about hei's younger sister which was awesome :3 now we need to know about how THE GATE area came to be ? amber gave us a hint in her conversation "i dont know who created the gate" i think that too.

i strongly believe that humans did some deadly experiment and it went wrong in japan and in south American research facilities and created this abnormal areas which affected some humans who had right conditions in there body or people went inside the area! this is where everything began to cover up what they did in their past humans use these special people to kill themselves by doing this the gate will be gone with the contractors ! :3

i never watched a more satisfied ending in a while..i mean its been while and a long while.... i give 10/10 . the last bit with hei walking and yin getting the cat (mao) was epic cant wait to watch the second season :3 i love you hei and the pain you went through is horrible i know you will find happiness together with yin :3
Nov 16, 2015 3:27 AM

Jan 2012
how did she know he was lin ? anyway good anime .

Nov 17, 2015 5:03 PM
Nov 2015
Know it's a bit late but i'm hoping someone can help. Does anyone know the OST that plays at the start of the ending credits in episode 25? I've been searching forever and no luck.
Dec 1, 2015 4:31 AM
May 2012
Noooooooo, Amber :/
I am glad Misaki knew that he is Li-kun. So in the end, Hei really just like eating a lot ahahaha. It's nice that Yin at least survived.
Well, time to watch the season 2.
Dec 9, 2015 3:33 PM

Aug 2014
Okay , so that was some very disappointing ending , where are the emotions ? this is a very Faint/Dull ending .

Quick Review :

Animation : 8/10 - good considering its release date .
Art : 8/10 - good
Enjoyment : 8/10 - good
Characters : 8/10 - loved amber , Hei is good , cool side characters such as November 11 , bad villain (Wei) should have been a better villain .
Value : 6/10 - not that important , average supernatural anime
Story : 6/10 - incomplete , a lot of unanswered questions , needs a lot more to be better , some really bad episodes , some great episodes .
Sound : 8/10 - good voice acting , nice OST , not so good sound mixing but it was fine .

Overall : 7.5/10

I wanted to rate it 8/10 but the ending disappointed me , i wanted to lower it more because there was no emotions with Amber nor there was any effect on me , it can be forgotten easily and this is not good ( comparing to Code Geass for example which has a memorable ending ) .

7/10 from me , liked it .
Dec 24, 2015 5:22 AM

Jun 2012
Not a bad series, but not as great as my expectations (from others) -

part of the reason being that I'm not fond of ~10 2-episode arcs that spend 1.5 episodes developing plot and character with the remaining time spent on some dramatic climax. I do understand that these presented emotion and tragedy (<- I really liked that they weren't simple happy endings), but I just wasn't too fond of them (could have just grown tired of them b/c I marathoned the series);

and part of the reason being my confusion regarding the ending: How did Hei choose both sides successfully (keeping contractors as well as Japan)? What was the black void he was falling into (or what would have happened had he not answered Yin's call), why did Yin call him back (in other words, why did she in particular feel alone)? At what point did Kirihara uncover BK201's identity? And was Kirihara's role in the series simply to give us perspective from the "police" side of events? Because she appeared in nearly every episode yet didn't do much substantially, and did not affect the crucial moment towards the end (besides following up with arresting a syndicate leader).

My personal favorite character being Yin (or Mao), I think November 11 was the best character. He seemed to be the most perceptive and played a dynamic role.

Hm, I'd say 7-8/10 from me, but maybe my head is way under the big picture. If anybody could answer any of my questions, I'd be really happy to understand more; in that case, please PM or comment to me.

Dec 29, 2015 8:03 AM

Dec 2015
Faust721 said:
I liked the way it ended. It was a nice way to close out this conflict. Lolis Amber was great. It was nice to see everyone one last time. I'm gonna miss this show.

What? Loli? Come on, how was that sexual?
Jan 3, 2016 10:13 PM

Apr 2013
just finished and i liked it so much that i'm in that post-anime depression.
imo they should've taken out that wack detective and expanded on the gate a lot more. that creepy feeling back in episodes 11-12 was great, and would've made this anime 10/10 in my book tbh. the ending should've been focused more on the gate itself, with the next season being completely on epr vs the syndicate, and the mindfucking politics.
also sort of very salty over amber & hei q___q really wish their relationship was expanded.
Mar 5, 2016 6:19 AM

Aug 2014
Amber NO!!! :'(

So the truth finally comes to light, Hei was in fact a human masquerading as a contractor all along.
Looks like his supposed obeisance being eating a lot, was indeed a red flag lol.
I really didn't get the whole "your sister is inside of you" part tbh. Is she dead? Is she not coming back?

I wonder what's going to happen to Hei now that Huang, Mao and Yin (I'm positive these two will be back) are gone. Is he going to be on the run from the Syndicate from now on?

Satisfying series from beginning to end, I still can't believe it's only now that I started watching this. Now on to the OVAs :D
9/10
Mar 17, 2016 6:06 AM

Jul 2008
I don't know why I gave this an 8 at first. This series was excellent.

Bump this to a 10/10.
May 23, 2016 7:30 AM

Feb 2016
The story around hei comes to a conclusion and I'm finally able to add it to my list of watched and instantly forgotten anime. That's the only good point i got from this.
Jun 10, 2016 1:36 PM

Feb 2015
Glad i finally watched this 9/10. At times I was really confused but when it comes together it makes it all worth it.
Jul 3, 2016 2:44 PM

Nov 2015

Wow, but what a nice semi-ending, well, more of a season finale.
Amber's plans were uncovered and even so we get more than one surprise moment.
In the end Hei was neither human or contractor, but both. Now all makes sense with his price and why he doesn't make "rational"decisions like every other contractor...

Everyone disappears to follow their own path. I didn't expect Kirihara to call Hei by his name =O
Good thing the OVA and the second season are waiting for me!

PD: Yin, that power is new! jaja. Scary!
Jul 27, 2016 2:21 AM

Dec 2013
This was an enjoyable series. Cast of characters were great and the story got fairly interesting later on but it started off really slow.

Ending could've felt slightly more conclusive but I suppose that's what the second season is for. Although I've heard it's pretty terrible.
Aug 20, 2016 6:35 PM

Sep 2013
One more episode then....okee doke!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 11, 2016 5:44 AM

Nov 2009
It was a great series, I was hyped over it throughout...until the last episode.
I don't like series that try to be cool and smart and explain everything in the last second. The secret about Hei was wtf and I just...nah... I dunno. It was a good watch overall but I expected more. In the end, we know just a bit more from what we did in the beginning. That's a bit upsetting...
Dec 16, 2016 9:22 AM

Oct 2016
I am now pretty confused .. what was Hei working for? (with the cops?) .. was the gate destroyed? .. did all the other contractors died if true, how they appear again at the last minutes (the guy control gravity, the woman drinking cans and the boy july) .. did yin died?

will this be answered in the 2nd season?

and by the way, should I watch season 2 or gaiden first (those special 4 episodes) ??
Think it twice, Is it worth?

Mar 13, 2017 3:46 AM

Jul 2013
Nice scenes for the ending...although I don't really understand what happened. I feel that this series would make a good game ^ ^. The setting where Hei and Yin meets Amber, the lab and the underground bypass looks good for that.

Good show, although I really wish there were more actions and the pace was faster.
toumei_Mar 13, 2017 3:57 AM
Jul 13, 2017 6:52 PM

May 2010
Wow, that was disappointing. The little twists at the end with Hei not being a complete contractor and with sydicate being the actual bad guys were decent, but the real conflict didn't even appear until episode 20-ish. This series could have easily been 12 episodes with not losing much of a story.

What can I say, wasn't fan of mini-arcs, mainly because interactions between "teammates" were pretty much non existent or related strictly to their work, and I know pretty much nothing about any of them. How am I supposed to care what happens to them? Welp, I didn't.

The only good thing about this series were amazing j-rock openings (An Cafe!) and Mao <3
Other than that - meh. Hopefully the 2nd season will be better... 6/10
Jan 5, 2018 7:54 AM

Oct 2008
Second time watching it,first time was right after it started airing around 2008 so its been a while and wanted to refresh my memories of it.

Definitely felt weaker than from my initial impressions of it,on the positive side there's :good animation,solid soundtrack,well done although short action scenes and just overall interesting premise.Just all around good production values for its time.

Shame that everything else felt very hit or miss,the main group of characters weren't all memorable (sad backstories doesn't equate interesting characters) and we barely get to see them interact between missions,not to mention how they just juggle with the idea of offing one another so so that it gets resolved like nothing ever happened "kill Hei!"-"oh nvm", "dispose of Yin! -"Oh nvm" ,"Forget about Mao!" "Oh nvm"...

The entire gate/contractor plot is more or less a framework to tie all the short 2 episode arcs together and when the series finally steps it up and gets going the actual payoff was very mediocre and obviously left room for a sequel (which was trash).Like the above post suggested this could have very easily been a 12-13 episodes series without sacrificing much if anything.
Jan 10, 2019 3:17 AM

Feb 2015
Good ending - altho some of it was a little predictable.
Overall, great show - I loved it. I especially loved that in the midst of this fantastical storyline, it's framed within very human stories. This made the episodic nature of the show - which I normally dislike - much more interesting for me. Great writing, animation, and music.

Jan 13, 2020 9:59 AM
Dec 2019
Perhaps I just haven't seen a lot of anime but the dialogue and characterization of this series was tasteful and really stood out, which alone makes the show memorable.

I didn't like the route they took with the ending, going for one of those superhuman-government wars that the good guys have to prevent. They should've just done a Bourne Ultimatum ending, keeping it small scale and dropping all the convoluted Gate stuff. Hei jumps into the river and his body isn't found. Cut to black. Cue Extreme Ways by Moby.
Dec 30, 2020 5:40 AM

Jul 2017
This show definitely has good moments and wasn't painfully boring, but given the amount of potential this show had with an interesting setting and range of powers used by Contractors, the first season of this anime franchise felt really underwhelming to me and I can describe it simply as 'wasted potential'. Way too stagnant in the middle of the franchise and while the final arc had some cool moments, the ending fell flat for me too.

5/10 overall for Darker than BLACK S1. I'm scared for how S2 will turn out to be given how it's much weaker than the first season the first time I watched it.
Feb 10, 2021 12:02 PM
Oct 2019
good and disappointing at the same time

this started off VERY strong the first ~5 episodes (20% of the series). an 8.5/10 or maybe higher. I liked the concept, the setting, the tone (kind of neo-noir), the mystery. I liked how Hei was a cool, calm, deadly assassin pretending to be an average joe. but that all started to change a bit with the detective and his otaku sidekick. the tone and style of the show changed a lot. things would kind of meander between that neo-noir to comedic tone for the rest of the series

the ending was ok, average. will Hei never be able to separate himself from his sister again? the syndicate is pandora? Or pandora was just an entity underneath the syndicate's umbrella? Just like the cIa, mi6, the metro police, and everyone else is? don't know why or how the gates were created/appeared. don't even know how contractors even came to be, specifically (did they have to consciously make a pact with the "gate"? did the gate randomly choose them? something else? Idk...)

about a 7/10 overall. I'll give the sequels a chance, see how they go. hopefully they address some unanswered questions
Feb 19, 2021 5:13 PM

May 2020
Normal ending and good show. Enjoying a lot date scene Hei x Misaki they suit together. Time stop from Amber before she died to save contractors is really worth 'till the end. Good show.
Apr 9, 2021 1:57 AM

May 2020
And so it ends, with the status quo of the Gate being maintained and the existence of Contractors being revealed to the world.

Misaki finds out that Li is BK201, which did come as a surprise to me. Maybe she figured it out when they were hanging out together in Ep 23.

Overall, I'm really not sure how to rate this show honestly. It was entertaining but honestly, it also felt like a bit of a chore to watch.

Before watching this, people kept hyping up the action scenes and I was consistently disappointed by them. The action scenes are just really short scenes where two contractors throw their powers at each other for 10 seconds before one of them dies. There's no choreography or flashy animation that makes this remarkable. The soundtrack was decent but forgettable.

The characters were a hit or a miss for me. I liked Hei, Jack & Misaki but everyone else was mildly entertaining or just forgettable. The two episode arcs were interesting but became tedious after a while. And the main story never really grabbed my interest. 6/10.
Jun 20, 2021 8:01 AM

Oct 2019
I was considering dropping this at the beginning, but thankfully I didn’t. This just kept getting better and better as it went on. I really enjoyed this after episode 7, and I’m glad I didn’t drop it.

Great anime, slow beginning, but it picks up after a few episodes and becomes amazing. 9/10, this series needs more attention. Outstanding effort from Bones.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Jul 4, 2021 10:53 AM

Jan 2020
So it seems like it's left to Hei x Yin

The show kinda left the audience hanging, well there's still another season for DTB...
Aug 12, 2021 3:12 PM

Mar 2019
Conflicted reason for this ending. Wasn't what I expected, I didn't really hate this but I also wanted it to way in a much different way. I was hoping Pai was somehow still alive or that those 2 could be together again. Same with Amber, she just disappeared, like yes she did a lot of things technically and she had that dialogue with Hei at the end but that was it, I wanted to see more, she was one of my favorite character, next to November 11 which I was also happy to see at the end. I'm guessing the reason Hei saw all of those people was thanks to the meteor fragment which has the power to make ghosts appear, so I'll take that all of those characters there were alive in that moment and not just holograms. Amber then activated her power, dying in the process, hence why she appeared there, which makes me think that she already knew Hei's decision. I really wanted him to choose Amber's path and finally be together with all of those lost people.

That reunion at the end "kind of" was really touching, probably the best scene of this series. Seeing NICK after so much time, wish they talked but still glad to see him there. I'll miss Huang and Mao a lot as well :(.

Now, I guess the reason Hei doesn't have a remuneration is because he is half a human half a contractor but how did he become one, I don't understand. Did he somehow stole Pai's power? (one of them) And what did Pai do to make the Heaven's Gate disappear?? What was that power.

Also surprised to see that the syndicate is actually someone completely different, I thought the leader is that dude who was shot at the end, also how does Kirihara know that Hei is BK 201?? And Hei's words at the end, addressed to her were heavy. What changed in Hei exactly?

Good ending, I like Hei as a character but still wasn't exactly what I wanted. Will miss all the lost characters!!
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Dec 4, 2021 9:09 PM

Aug 2018
This episode was really good...

I still wonder when it was that Misaki became 100% sure that BK-201 was Lee.... anyways I really cant wait to start the next season...

Mar 28, 2022 7:07 PM

Jan 2013
One word: underwhelming. The beginning of the series was pretty good and it made me expect something epic to unfold as the series progressed. But the finale was underwhelming to say the least. It also left way too many questions unanswered but that’s fine I guess. The character Amber is something I also didn’t like. She felt all too powerful throughout the series and not much is known on her, and her presence seemed to deescalate any tension. The little twist of Hei at the end is also a huge meh and felt like it was something they came up at the spot rather than planned. The whole syndicate thing was so unclear too, like a little backstory or info on them wouldnt hurt.

That sounded like a rant but I really do not dislike this series as a whole, just some elements to it. I really feel they could have done a lot better with this
Oct 18, 2022 2:34 PM
Sep 2021
eu gostei é issooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dec 10, 2022 3:24 AM
Aug 2020
In mal it show that it has 25 episode
But in gogoanime in has 26
Why is that?
Dec 14, 2022 7:40 PM
Nov 2022
Don't ask my friend, it just my thought.
Jan 6, 2023 9:18 AM
Jan 2022
It was really entretaining and really well done
Jan 8, 2023 5:34 PM

Jan 2020
So turns out the syndicate's whole plan was to rid the world of contractors and that they have much more influence then I originally anticipated.
It also makes more sense for them to kill the contractors. Still makes me wonder why the Contractors, who are said to be rational would all decide to work for them, instead of banding together against them, but oh well.
This show could have been really good and from a visual/atmosphere point of view, it really is, but at least for me the individual stories mostly fell tlat and the ending felt completely rushed, without much impact.
The characters really suffered the most, I didn't really connect with anyone other than our main crew and was constantly wondering what the purpose of the Gai and Kirihara even was. Well, the latter was important in the finale, but didn't add much for the rest of the show and I guess she also works as the love interest. However, her relationship with Hei was amazingly underdeveloped, so I didn't care about that aspect of her character.
All in all a good show, that could have been better if the execution of the idea was done better. A curse that seems to haunt many anime.
No Blood. No Bone. No Ash.
Mar 3, 2023 1:55 PM

Dec 2022
So many cliffhangers in this episode. Misaki probably got too much screentime at the expense of detail on what happened to other characters though.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 5, 2023 1:21 PM

Jan 2013
Pretty good season honestly but ...
I feel like the lack of information regarding some of the organizations, the world itself and the overarching storyline made it so I never really could get really attached to the story.
The dialogue was fantastic and some of the mini arcs were great, the one about the doll that was being "sold" comes to mind.

That said I had a fun time but I do feel like it could've been so much better if it actually delivered more on the mystery and the pay-off of it.
I'll be generous and still give it an 8/10 because of the good time I had watching it.

You can definitely tell the quality is there but sadly it didn't translate into a series that's going to be memorable (at least not to me).
PrOxAntoApr 26, 2023 5:06 AM
Mar 11, 2023 5:24 PM
Jun 2020
I don't understand the Amber/Hei dialogue scene when they hugged in the vision realm. So her motive was to prevent Contractors (and others) from being wiped out, but then she says to Hei that she did all for him? What was she referring to? I guess I fail to see the connection between "Hei doesn't want to kill" and "Let's stop Syndicate from killing all Contractors".

Same when she says that Syndicate won't leave Hei alone, he won't be able to see true stars nor see his sister... what does it mean even. What's the relation between seeing his sister (very scarce already) to his decision? what would have changed if he chose either of those? If he chose 'death to nearby humans' path, his sister would what, become more see-able?

It's possible that the answer to those is quite simple but i'm just too dense to see it now.
Mar 15, 2023 12:08 AM
Jul 2021
What a shitty show! At the time I am writing this post the show score stands at 8.07! The only things I'll remember from this show are. 1: The glutton MC. 2: The trainload of free advertising Pizza Hut had during every? Episode. 3: The MI6 agents, especially the creepy af little boy. 4: Probably the cat, maybe not sure I'll remember the cat.

That's it! What a great show! Not! A complete and total waste of source material/ideas. Good Bye Darker than Black, c-ya.
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
May 25, 2023 8:00 PM
Jun 2015
Okay… that was an info dump.

So Hei’s sister ended up fusing herself with him, and he decided to use her power to reform matter. In doing so, he decides to negate the weapon, rather than turn it back on them. A heroic feet after all

Now he goes back to living in solitude..with Yin? As for the cat, is that a hint Mao can return?

Looks like the detective continues to chase after Lei
Aug 9, 2023 8:12 AM

Apr 2013
Not sure what to say about this show, most of the time it was quite confusing. Detective dude was best character, together with the widow. Didn't really feel the rest of the anime. 4/10
Sep 10, 2023 8:35 PM
Sep 2021
If Keanu Reeves thought it was cool. I think its pretty damn cool.

Second Season was a little rough around the edges quality-wise and suffered from a lack of sponsorship.

Season 1 is a MUST WATCH.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.