Forum Settings
Forums
New
Will religion disappear eventually?
Jan 2, 2013 8:21 AM

Aug 2011
You heard it, with the increasing amount of atheist around and the development of science, in my neighborhood, Sunday church is just another place for me to chat with my friends and half of the people isn't there to hear the father's preaching.

kek
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 2, 2013 8:24 AM

Dec 2012
I hope so, science has proven religion wrong

( I've baptized so am a Christian)
Jan 2, 2013 8:24 AM

Oct 2007
Probably not, there's always bound to be some people who take their fairy tales a bit too seriously.
Jan 2, 2013 8:26 AM
May 2012
Atheists FTW.
Jan 2, 2013 8:30 AM

May 2012
Unless every1 who knows what religion is dies then no.
Jan 2, 2013 8:30 AM

Jun 2012
I will keep it alive.
Jan 2, 2013 8:31 AM

Aug 2011
No. While atheists are growing, there are also many religions that are growing substantially. It will never really disappear.

Jan 2, 2013 8:33 AM
May 2012
Chaosmyth said:
I will keep it alive.
We have love baby, no need for such a thing.
Jan 2, 2013 8:35 AM

Aug 2011
Kuromii said:
Probably not, there's always bound to be some people who take their fairy tales a bit too seriously.

How dare people have their own beliefs!

Oct 2010
im4eversmart said:

Yes, no one believes in that shit.

Aug 2011
Itami-chan said:
No. While atheists are growing, there are also many religions that are growing substantially. It will never really disappear.

Contradiction much? That would be minor religions are disappearing in the least
kek
Jan 2, 2013 8:39 AM

Aug 2011
im4eversmart said:
Itami-chan said:

I didn't mean to sound contradicting. Minor religions are. There are just going to be atheists and there are going to be people taking to Christianity.

Jan 2, 2013 8:39 AM

May 2012
im4eversmart said:
Itami-chan said:

If one religions growing it doesn't mean all religions are growing, so one religion + atheists can be growing at the same time (or more than one religion), obviously that would mean another religion or factor which i'm not taking into account is decreasing in numbers.
Jan 2, 2013 8:44 AM
Jul 2008
Possibly. Far in the future. Would make a great setting for a sci-fi novel.
Jan 2, 2013 8:44 AM

Nov 2010
people need something to believe in, so I think religion will not disappere.
It is not just God, there are a lot of religion, like to believe in aliens or some ancient god.
And Christianity, people need it to explain what happend after death...

my opinion
Jan 2, 2013 8:47 AM
Jul 2008
I think people will always be spiritual, but not necessarily religious. And not all people need something to believe in. Facts and knowing (opposite of belief) is plenty enough for some ;]
Jan 2, 2013 8:48 AM

Aug 2011
anaVampire said:
people need something to believe in, so I think religion will not disappere.
It is not just God, there are a lot of religion, like to believe in aliens or some ancient god.
And Christianity, people need it to explain what happend after death...

my opinion

you actually made an astonishing point - afterlife
kek
Jan 2, 2013 8:49 AM

Aug 2008
Will this thread be locked today or tomorrow?

OT:No. It will exist in one form or another. You're talking about the disappearance of entire cultures. Even if that happens, it'd be tough to cover up the footprint and that's assuming people won't find religion for themselves.

Loaded question, if anything.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Jan 2, 2013 8:51 AM

Jul 2011
Difficult to say if it will completely disappear, as some individuals and cultures are completely dependant on it. However, I am nearly positive it will continue to become less significant on a global scale. After all, looking at the trend over the last few millennia, that definitely seems to be the case.
Jan 2, 2013 8:56 AM
Mar 2012
Itami-chan said:

I don't think so. The term free thinking is being used a lot more in schools these days, you can look up what it means.

Schools will adopt that meaning more and more, thus kids will think for themselves more and not believe in God, which imo is a good thing.

Though it won't die out, but it will get smaller, like each will have its own small cult.
Jan 2, 2013 9:01 AM

Nov 2010
logically... today (humanity) we're still interested in mythology. If religion will disappear, book will not. Next generation will know about our religion from book or archaeological discoveries and even if they will not believe in, they will know a lot of thinks about it, so from human's memory religion will stay.
Jan 2, 2013 9:03 AM

Aug 2011
Deserada said:
Will this thread be locked today or tomorrow?

OT:No. It will exist in one form or another. You're talking about the disappearance of entire cultures. Even if that happens, it'd be tough to cover up the footprint and that's assuming people won't find religion for themselves.

Loaded question, if anything.

inb4 haters, disappearance of culture is not uncommon, over the ages, nations rise and fall, like rome and babylon, their culture lives only in history books now. In more spiritual sense, in many aspects chivalry is also gone.

On the other hand, worship and religion are entirely different things, the term "religion" only refers to those that are formed by superstition, eg druidism (worship of nature) is not considered religion but at best a "cult"

also as you have already mentioned, people will find things to believe it, that doesn't necessary mean it has to be some otherworldly power, leaders like napoleon have also been worshiped throughout the history
kek
Jan 2, 2013 9:03 AM

Mar 2011
lewycool said:
I hope so, science has proven religion wrong.

When did science prove the existence of God to be false exactly? Sorry, it's just that I think I would have noticed something like that popping up in the science journals.
Jan 2, 2013 9:05 AM

Dec 2012
Verdale said:
Difficult to say if it will completely disappear, as some individuals and cultures are completely dependant on it. However, I am nearly positive it will continue to become less significant on a global scale. After all, looking at the trend over the last few millennia, that definitely seems to be the case.

best answer you are probably going to get.
Jan 2, 2013 9:08 AM

Sep 2012
As long there is people not accepting facts of life, there will always be delusions of higher beings which will then fuel current/future religions. Humanity requires some religion to keep stupid people from going nuts.
Jan 2, 2013 9:12 AM

Dec 2007
Marza92 said:
As long the is people not accepting facts of life, there will always be delusions of higher beings which will then fuel current/future religions. Humanity requires some religion to keep stupid people from going nuts.

Why do you state that intelligent people cannot believe in a religion? There are many intelligent people that believe in some form of a religion. I don't understand why people feel that you can only have one and not the other. Or that people think that you must be stupid because you believe in a religion.
Jan 2, 2013 9:15 AM

Aug 2011
Karpman said:
Itami-chan said:

I don't think so. The term free thinking is being used a lot more in schools these days, you can look up what it means.

Schools will adopt that meaning more and more, thus kids will think for themselves more and not believe in God, which imo is a good thing.

Though it won't die out, but it will get smaller, like each will have its own small cult.

Evolution a perfect example of that.

If we're talking about kids, that would be very true. Why would they want be "shackled" by something as outdated as morals religion. That's why most non-religious people are so uninterested in anything that has to do with God. The hypocrisy in some churches doesn't help either.

One religious organization I know of has converted countless atheists, and have had thousands of members come in the past year alone. If we need to talk about growth, there's one example. Not all religions are psychotic cults.

Jan 2, 2013 9:15 AM

Aug 2008
Marza92 said:
As long there is people not accepting facts of life, there will always be delusions of higher beings which will then fuel current/future religions. Humanity requires some religion to keep stupid people from going nuts.
We do not and we cannot know all the facts of life. I'm sure you know this, but your wording is misleading.
Jan 2, 2013 9:18 AM

Jun 2009
Believing in a strict set of rules laid out by a loving god, who will send you to hell for breaking them without any proof of such thing, generally isn't considered very intelligent. But hey, perhaps my standards are just too high.

Anyway, I'm unsure whether or not Religion as a whole will die out any time soon. I do believe however that certain religions we currently have, will at one point or another. Just as many others have before them. God is continuously regressing into much more vague ideas than it has ever been before.
TrapaliciousJan 2, 2013 9:26 AM
Jan 2, 2013 9:19 AM
May 2012
Probably cuz many of the issues and arguments between people can usually be traced back to religion
Jan 2, 2013 9:20 AM

Nov 2010
to be an religion people it isn't about spend your entire life in church. I had a religion and I believe in God, and many of you believe in it just a little, because if you aren't believe in it= you aren't interested in this discussion= you aren't post a comment...

my opinion :D
Jan 2, 2013 9:20 AM

Dec 2007
@Mkayyy: why would I think you are stupid?
Jan 2, 2013 9:22 AM

May 2012
-Miyu- said:
Probably cuz many of the issues and arguments between people can usually be traced back to religion

Even without religion there will still be conflicts. Religion isn't the only thing that makes people have different views to each other.
Jan 2, 2013 9:22 AM

May 2012
xracerx17 said:

My bad i used ur name instead of the person you had quoted. I deleted the post and couldn't be bothered to re-write it.
Jan 2, 2013 9:23 AM

Aug 2011
Trapalicious said:
Believing in a strict set of rules laid out by a loving god, who will send you to hell for breaking them without any proof of such thing, generally isn't considered very intelligent. But hey, perhaps my standards are just too high.

Oh, hell.

Not all religions teach that you're going to burn in hell for your mistakes.You would be surprised at how not-strict some religion's rules are.

Jan 2, 2013 9:23 AM

Dec 2007
Mkayyy said:
xracerx17 said:

My bad i used ur name instead of the person you had quoted. I deleted the post and couldn't be bothered to re-write it.

Ok, I thought that my post was misunderstood.
Jan 2, 2013 9:24 AM

Aug 2008
Mkayyy said:
-Miyu- said:

Even without religion there will still be conflicts. Religion isn't the only thing that makes people have different views to each other.
It's just as easy to blame conflict on human nature. There isn't necessarily a correlation between one's beliefs and one's ignorance and temperament.
Jan 2, 2013 9:27 AM

Jul 2011
Itami-chan said:
Not all religions teach that you're going to burn in hell for your mistakes.You would be surprised at how not-strict some religion's rules are.

That's one of the things I find so perplexing about religion... There are so many variations and types, one can't help but think of something along the lines of "shopping" for a religion.

"Uhh yes, I'll have one monotheistic religion, with a forgiving deity, minimal rules and a large membership."

It's like offering different packages when buying a car, or ordering a meal to your taste at a restaurant... It just seems rather generic for something that is supposed to be so defining in a person's life.
Jan 2, 2013 9:30 AM

Aug 2011
Verdale said:
Itami-chan said:

That's one of the things I find so perplexing about religion... There are so many variations and types, one can't help but think of something along the lines of "shopping" for a religion.

"Uhh yes, I'll have one monotheistic deity with minimal rules and a large membership."

It's like offering different packages when buying a car, or ordering a meal to your taste at a restaurant... It just seems rather generic for something that is supposed to be so defining in a person's life.

Haha, well that's actually pretty spot on. When someone finds one that they really believe though, I suppose that all that shopping pays off.

Jan 2, 2013 9:31 AM

Oct 2012
Well, first, I'd have to ask, "Do you think humanity will eventually disappear?"

There's always a new excuse to form another religion or branch off. When you have people that follow the ways of the Jedi from Star Wars and count it as reiligon, just about anything can become a reiligon if it attracts enough people.

So, I believe it's here to stay.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 2, 2013 9:31 AM

Aug 2008
Verdale said:
Itami-chan said:

That's one of the things I find so perplexing about religion... There are so many variations and types, one can't help but think of something like "shopping" for a religion.

"Uhh yes, I'll have one monotheistic deity with minimal rules and a large foundation."

That's really how it is though. Take a World Religions course; you'll see that once you become aware of the variations you might be able to better pick (or not pick) one that suits you.
Jan 2, 2013 9:39 AM

Oct 2010
Religions are like power levels.

Jan 2, 2013 9:44 AM

Jun 2009
Itami-chan said:
Oh, hell.

Well of course, but I was replying to this post. Not suggesting that every Religion acts in such a way.
xracerx17 said:
Why do you state that intelligent people cannot believe in a religion? There are many intelligent people that believe in some form of a religion. I don't understand why people feel that you can only have one and not the other. Or that people think that you must be stupid because you believe in a religion.
Jan 2, 2013 9:45 AM

Sep 2012
I clearly offended someone ;O

This was expected, as always with this topic.

My own personal favorite from religion is concept of moral. Without going into depth of its meaning, it has to do with "Lesson of a story". To me it was just explained to mean whats right and whats not.

I think religion will play huge part in some peoples mind to determine their actions, i would expect nothing but total chaos if suddenly those people would have to live with the fact they were completely wrong about their conceptions of how life actually works.
Jan 2, 2013 9:48 AM

May 2012
Verdale said:
Itami-chan said:

"Uhh yes, I'll have one monotheistic religion, with a forgiving deity, minimal rules and a large membership."

Thats only true for people who don't take religion serious, they just want to say that have a religion. I was born into my religion but wasn't forced to follow it, I only followed it because some things were written in the Qu'ran that is extremely accurate to what science has only recently worked out. An example is how an embryo develops. http://www.answering-islam.org/Quran/Science/embryo.html
Jan 2, 2013 9:53 AM

Jun 2012
Nah, there has been religion since the dawn of man, why would it change. All thats going to change is the religion that people believe in, and in some ways, science and knowledge is its own religion.

You will always have people needing to have answers for the unknown and the unexplained, and some of them would rather just follow the followings of some religion, and be told what to believe, than search for the answers themselves.

Personally, I don't have a problem with religion. It has helped people get thru the day and made their lives happier, for the most part. What I have a problem with, are those who abuse religion, any religion, for their own means. Granted, if people are stupid enough to follow them, I guess its on them.

But I would like to see mankind work more together, than try to take advantage of each other. But yeah, i know thats a big wish. :)
Jan 2, 2013 9:58 AM

Dec 2007
Trapalicious said:
Itami-chan said:
Oh, hell.

Well of course, but I was replying to this post. Not suggesting that every Religion acts in such a way.
xracerx17 said:

Didn't know you were responding to my post there. I am assuming you were speaking about Christianity with your post and that is fine, but I was speaking in the sense of religion as a whole. I am sure that people that are in a certain religion think that other religions are dumb, but what I don't understand is why believing in something makes them stupid or ignorant. Someone's religious beliefs don't necessarily mean that they are dumb. I just don't see how you can tell someones intelligence just by weather or not they belief in a religion.
Jan 2, 2013 10:08 AM

Jan 2011
Atheism is pretty much a religion at this point, they have congregations, leaders, dogmatic rules, individuals attack other religions, atheist organizations attack other religious organizations they have the whole package wrapped in different paper.

So no religion won't go away just replaced.
Jan 2, 2013 10:30 AM

Oct 2011
Of course not.
Religion is basically a set of common beliefs that people often use for guidance in & as a way to explain life.Don't even need to be related to gods or other deities.People will always use religion to find meaning in life & their purpose in it.Doesn't matter if they join a religion that's already there or make up their own religion.
Some religion will die out,but others will be created.
This question is like asking if humans will stop making stories to tell.

You say this...
im4eversmart said:
the increasing amount of atheist around and the development of science

But think about it.Isn't atheism religion in it's own right?And there could very well be a religion of science.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jan 2, 2013 10:42 AM

Jul 2011
xracerx17 said:
I just don't see how you can tell someones intelligence just by weather or not they belief in a religion.

No, you generally can't, but a person's communication skills are often an accurate representation of said intelligence.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 37 minutes ago

5 by DesuMaiden »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you post your own original artwork onto social media?

DesuMaiden - Apr 10

26 by DesuMaiden »»
17 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

56 by MalchikRepaid »»
18 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - 5 hours ago

8 by TibetanJazz666 »»
22 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - 11 hours ago

9 by Hikinekomori »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.