Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
May 19, 2013 10:37 PM

Jul 2010
I finally found some time to watch it.As the rest of monogatari titles, this was truly amazing.The dialogues, humour, emotions and characters are all on such an AMAZING level.I can't wait to see monogatari 2nd season, im all fired up!
Jun 2, 2013 6:37 AM
Aug 2012
i gave this 7/10 tho i dont knw why as it was an arc so similiar to the one from bako the information given didnt really add up to much it did not need 4 episodes for the first episode was near enough a repeat and the story was boring but i guess there was nothing wrong with it and it did give some more flesh to the troublesome cat but the end fight well it wasnt rlly a fight was gd i wonder how he managed to talk whilst having a sword that long threw u i thought it was funny how koyomi was dieing he wld close his eyes as if was dead or be at peace then in the next second he wld be talking normally again >.< the way shinobu dealt with the cat was different to wat happend in the flashbacks in bako in which she atks the cat when hes riding on his bike
Jun 4, 2013 1:12 AM

May 2010
OST # 25: Love is just beautiful.
Jun 7, 2013 3:11 AM

Nov 2012
damn shinobu strike again.. looks like the sword is really dangerous :3

btw I like the blood scene.. I like no love when araragi split in two ... yey yeah! :D
Jun 28, 2013 4:38 AM

Aug 2010
I'm not sure if I agree with Oshino, but I have to admit that it must pretty hard to live with someone like Hanekawa, every day being crudely reminded how inferior you are in every aspect and no matter how much you would try to get better, that someone would only need to lift a finger and defeat you without batting an eye. Props to Araragi, his plan worked somehow. I was really hoping that the ending of this would somehow tie in with the first episode of Bakemonogatari, so I loved that last shot of Senjougahara 5/5.

Well, this was more Bake than Nise, heavy focus on the folklore and we have gained some insight into the Hanekawa-Araragi pair, but something was still missing to make it as spectacular as its forerunner. Might have been just the length and lack of the other characters actually...I'm definitely looking forward to the continuation of the franchise anyway! 9/10.
Jul 6, 2013 6:55 PM

Mar 2009
Finally got around to watching this. Just in time for the 2nd season!

Wow. This was certainly a breath of fresh air compared to Nisemonogatari. It was a pefect blend of fanservice and sharp, witty dialogue. Araragi was back to his usual cool self here too. Good to see Oshino with a major part in the story as well.

I've always liked Hanekawa, so yeah, this was just great.
Jul 9, 2013 3:20 PM

Sep 2011
Not gonna lie.... I was pretty disappointed with this. :/ The sword scene didn't make sense to me. How on earth could he swallow that? Vampire or not I just didn't get it.
~Izzy Zazztacular~
Jul 9, 2013 5:47 PM

Sep 2011
typhlosionwolf said:
Not gonna lie.... I was pretty disappointed with this. :/ The sword scene didn't make sense to me. How on earth could he swallow that? Vampire or not I just didn't get it.

Supernatural sword = doesn't need to be bound by realistic rules (might as well ask how on earth Shinobu could swallow it, or why Hanekawa turned into a cat)

Also the absurdity of the whole scene means that some morbid humor was definitely intended on their part.
Jul 18, 2013 3:19 AM

Aug 2012
DEMOLITION_D said:
Stuartxtr7 said:
Didn't enjoy it as much as Nise and Bake, cause I don't really like Hanekawa.
Still great though.
8.5/10

For me, Nise is the weakest link. Bake was the best. This lands somewhere in the middle. I hope the new season of Bake rocks my little socks off.

As much as I loved Bake at first, I found Nise much more enjoyable (Shinobu talking and his sisters = win for me).
Nekomono was nice, but the plot was pretty much already in Bake =/

8/10

Jul 18, 2013 11:07 AM

Jan 2012
Watch all four episodes in row, and i loved them!! I just love the dialogue brought by monogatari, its really just amazing. I can't explain how awesome it was in this arc. Defo one of my favs, though i Hanekawa isn't my favourite character :p
9/10, tempted to give it a 10 >_<
Jul 24, 2013 4:32 PM

Aug 2011
Beautiful adaptation.
Jul 24, 2013 10:24 PM

Nov 2012
I really love Bake & Nise because Shinobu actually talked more & I love Karen & Tsukihi.Neko:Kuro was alright but I enjoyed Bake more.8/10
VanishingKiraJul 24, 2013 10:31 PM
Aug 23, 2013 6:00 PM

Jun 2010
This guy always naruto's his way to the top you have to respect the power of words
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Sep 28, 2013 10:03 AM

Apr 2012
I forgot how bad-ass Shinobu is! ^_^

8/10 overall for me.
Oct 7, 2013 10:15 PM
Jun 2013
Entravity said:
Ragingpie said:
EcchiEcho said:
So I still don't get it. At one part he says he really loves Hanekawa and then goes on about how he doesn't. Whats the deal? It really seemed like he does love her so why is he saying he doesn't?

He loved the Hanekawa that was her created persona. While the persona is still a part of who she is and that part he did love, when he found out more about her he no longer loved her the way he did. So he doesn't see it as having fallen in love with Hanekawa because he didn't actual know her.

So Ultimately he fell in love with someone, she wasn't who he thought she was and now he's got a broken heart over it. I suppose that means Hitagi picked him up on the rebound.

Sounds like another anime that recently aired. Minus the broken heart.

thats really really sad
which anime was it that recently aired?
Nov 2, 2013 10:15 PM
Oct 2010
This was pretty good, the "fanservice" in this episode really didn't seem like fanservice to me, it was more an extension of Hanekawa trying to relieve her stress, to remove her facade and go buck wild. This is also a return to form for the series IMO. 8/10, Nise almost made me completely drop this franchise, but I'm back in!
Nov 23, 2013 2:51 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

These were not particularly bad, in fact condensed sublimely witty and a brief moment of life of the protagonists. Eventually even a girl like me, always with his head elsewhere perceived well the meaning of the dialogues and in what time frame you position this tale of Nekomonogatari Kuro! : D
Drawings not bad, I'm sorry for the guys who can no longer enjoy the intimate Black Hanekawa for so many minutes! ASD
Very nice to see the expectations of Araragi be broken in a manner so brutal, his face was too strong to be hard, do not suit him because you already know your chances! And the figure of shit that does eventually intervenes when Shinobu is epic! ROTFL
Rating of 5/5 more than deserved. The final grade for now I leave it at 7/10, but as soon as I the opportunity to review the entire saga will not argue on the event to raise it to another point!
Jan 3, 2014 1:45 AM
Nov 2013
Great episode, best of the bunch. A good show, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Bake or Nise. 8/10 overall. People complain about the fanservice in Nise, but honestly it seemed much more prevalent in this one. Not that I'm complaining.

Also, I'm amazed that someone has to point this out in every goddamn episode discussion thread for Monogatari, but there is such a thing as artistic license. Yes, the sword was taller than Koyomi. Yes, he swallowed it. Yes, Hanekawa turned into a fucking cat and Koyomi survived a full minute while cut in two. I don't really think this series is aiming for realism.

And lastly, Please stop using the word pretentious to describe anything that's not exactly the same as every other fucking anime under the sun. It's not pretentious to have a different visual style. It's not pretentious to actually have underlying themes instead of just having a straight up action show with nothing underneath the surface. Maybe Shaft (correctly) thought that it might be boring to have a show that consists of at least 75% people talking and just show them standing there moving their mouths with traditional, boring camerawork, and decided to do something interesting and different instead.

/EndRant
Jan 3, 2014 1:50 AM

Jan 2013
TVA version is better than BD one.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jan 3, 2014 5:32 AM

Oct 2013
I like this anime, it's a nice f*cking anime.
Jan 9, 2014 4:09 PM

Jul 2013
typhlosionwolf said:

actually in the novel it stated that he didnt really swallow it. he pierced it through his stomach, through his leg and through the ground. basically in the 30 minutes while araragi was waiting for hanekawa to appear, he constantly kept healing his body while keeping the kaii cutter (which constantly eats his flesh from inside away) in his body, standing (he could neither sit nor bow, since it goes through his legs) and waiting in pain.
being immortal have some benefits, i guess?
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jan 9, 2014 4:14 PM

Jul 2013
*it seems my last post got deleted?*

for those who are wondering about the sword, in the novel it stated that araragi didnt absorb the sword, but pierced himself inside throught the ground, basically in the 30 minutes araragi waiting for hanekawa coming the sword kept constantly cut away his flesh and he kept constantly healing his body. in the scene before you guys did see how long the sword actually is. basically the sword pierce him through the stomach, through his leg and pierce the bottom under his feets, resulting his lower body still standing while getting split into two.
current LN reading:
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jan 9, 2014 6:05 PM

Sep 2011
Urek said:
*it seems my last post got deleted?*

for those who are wondering about the sword, in the novel it stated that araragi didnt absorb the sword, but pierced himself inside throught the ground, basically in the 30 minutes araragi waiting for hanekawa coming the sword kept constantly cut away his flesh and he kept constantly healing his body. in the scene before you guys did see how long the sword actually is. basically the sword pierce him through the stomach, through his leg and pierce the bottom under his feets, resulting his lower body still standing while getting split into two.

That sounds even more ridiculous and it explains why it looked so absurd, but damn I still loved every bit of it!

SatanicBeaver said:

And lastly, Please stop using the word pretentious to describe anything that's not exactly the same as every other fucking anime under the sun. It's not pretentious to have a different visual style. It's not pretentious to actually have underlying themes instead of just having a straight up action show with nothing underneath the surface. Maybe Shaft (correctly) thought that it might be boring to have a show that consists of at least 75% people talking and just show them standing there moving their mouths with traditional, boring camerawork, and decided to do something interesting and different instead.

/EndRant

Pretty much agree with this. I highly agree that at least with Monogatari, Shinbou is actually trying to be experimental with his direction and narrative style unlike lots of other anime out there, and he really nails the tone and atmosphere when it matters. It sure as hell makes for a more interesting watch than a lot of shows out there.
ronriJan 9, 2014 6:08 PM
Feb 1, 2014 6:42 AM

Mar 2013
Not Bad 8/10 for me looking forward for Bakemonogatari S2...
Feb 4, 2014 10:36 PM

Oct 2013
man that suppression for his love for hanekawa. so intense. hitagi gonna come steal his first love
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 26, 2014 12:49 AM

Jan 2014
I really liked whole Nekomonogatari: Kuro, just finished 4rth episode, and at the end is : "Next Time. Tsubasa Tiger, Episode 1."
is it about Bakemonogatari (supposed sequel)? Or?
And by the way, where can i find the story of how it all started? i mean i got this kind of feeling that Nekomonogatari: Kuro story is already after some major events, and not the beginnimg right?
Zapraszam POLSKOJĘZYCZNYCH - www.payhip.com/KacperAlgierskiTalesPL
K A T - Legenda Zza Światów - wstęp:
W dawnych czasach, które już niemal całkowicie przeminęły, magia i posługujące się nią istoty,
a także zaklęte stwory i złowrogie, nieokiełznane bestie
zamieszkiwały Zza Światy, pomiędzy którymi można było odbywać podróże.
Wiedza na ten temat była jednak przekazywana wyłącznie nielicznym wybrańcom.
Wielcy bohaterzy musieli stawać do walki ze złem, w obronie dobra,
by przezwyciężyć zagrażające równowadze mroczne widmo ciemności i chaosu
i zaprowadzić niezbędny wszem wobec praworządny ład i porządek.
Oto legenda jednego z nich…
Feb 26, 2014 1:40 AM

Sep 2011
kcp_snag said:
I really liked whole Nekomonogatari: Kuro, just finished 4rth episode, and at the end is : "Next Time. Tsubasa Tiger, Episode 1."
And by the way, where can i find the story of how it all started? i mean i got this kind of feeling that Nekomonogatari: Kuro story is already after some major events, and not the beginnimg right?

"Nekomongatari: Kuro" is set after "Kizumonogatari" which hasn't come out yet (it's planned to be released as a movie) and will feature Hanekawa meeting Araragi for the first time (it's also the first time that Araragi encounters oddities/aberrations and his first meeting with Shinobu). "Tsubasa Tiger" (also known as "Nekomonogatari: Shiro") is sort of the last arc focusing on Hanekawa which is a part of "Monogatari Series: Second Season", which is in turn, set after the events of "Bakemonogatari" and "Nisemonogatari" respectively. Hope that helps! ^_^
Feb 26, 2014 12:08 PM

Jan 2014
ronri said:
kcp_snag said:

"Nekomongatari: Kuro" is set after "Kizumonogatari" which hasn't come out yet (it's planned to be released as a movie) and will feature Hanekawa meeting Araragi for the first time (it's also the first time that Araragi encounters oddities/aberrations and his first meeting with Shinobu). "Tsubasa Tiger" (also known as "Nekomonogatari: Shiro") is sort of the last arc focusing on Hanekawa which is a part of "Monogatari Series: Second Season", which is in turn, set after the events of "Bakemonogatari" and "Nisemonogatari" respectively. Hope that helps! ^_^

thanks, that cleared it up.

btw. im really curious about the story behind the events of spring break when is supposedly all started
W dawnych czasach, które już niemal całkowicie przeminęły, magia i posługujące się nią istoty,
Mar 1, 2014 11:32 AM

Oct 2013
I love all of the monogatari series I don't really know why I put this one off some much but i was kinda happy to see something new wile waiting for the new season and movie!
Over all I loved this episode Dialogue just screamed bakamonogatari
Fight scenes were amazing and that cat outfit was to die for O-o
another amazing addition to the anime series!
[/quote]
Mar 5, 2014 10:46 AM

Jan 2014
lol...i liked how shinobu healed araragi's shoes and pants with her blood...thats the mighty power of vampires indeed :I
Mar 5, 2014 11:16 AM

Jan 2014
i though that pants and shoes was a bit too much.... i mean seriously? i get the part about body regeneration but damn :P
Apr 4, 2014 6:45 PM

Apr 2012
Really love Oshino dialogues. His take on Hanekawa in relation with her parents was very interesting. Lovely Shaft style direction once again. I honestly don't think Monogatari would be as appealing without Shaft animation because of the dialogue -heavy nature of this show.

9/10

onto second season!

May 15, 2014 8:14 AM

Jul 2012
that was pretty good!
Jun 7, 2014 2:13 PM

Feb 2013
Koyomi always know how to end an episode. ^^
The scene where Shinobu regenerated Koyomi's lower body was so awesome.
I feel bad for Hanekawa after seeing what she has been through.
I'm excited for the second season! (Even though I'm already late on the hype train...xD)

Overall, it is a pretty good despite only having 4 episodes. I'm impressed at the Monogatari series. It's always has a consistent quality and never fails to entertain me through its witty dialogues, interesting characters and plot.

I might read the light novel in the summer.

8/10

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Jun 28, 2014 12:41 AM

Aug 2013
At the end of episode 4, did it give a preview saying the next episode was Tsubasa Tiger part 1? Was that a mistranslation? Or was this arc meant to fill the information gap prior to starting the Tsubasa arc in second season?
Jun 28, 2014 2:37 AM

Sep 2011
Jonesy974 said:
At the end of episode 4, did it give a preview saying the next episode was Tsubasa Tiger part 1? Was that a mistranslation? Or was this arc meant to fill the information gap prior to starting the Tsubasa arc in second season?

Yup it's meant to be the last one so it's not a mistranslation. It'd be hard to understand Hanekawa's arc in the second season if you haven't watched this one.
Jul 17, 2014 7:08 AM

Dec 2013
Ver nice, short series. Liked the ecchiness. 7/10
Aug 11, 2014 3:02 PM
May 2014
A brilliant final episode, Araragi got his torse ripped clean off. (8/10)
Sep 6, 2014 11:18 AM

Aug 2013
ronri said:
Rewston said:
8/10
I have to say tho I was a little confused at the start, and I still am.

It's not so much she'll get possessed by it again. Remember that at the end, Oshino said that she actually absorbed it, so it essentially became a part of her. In Bakemonogatari, I assume that she did the reverse in comparison to Nekonogatari. While the Sawari Neko (Meddle Cat) allowed Hanekawa to use its abilities to terrorize people in Nekomonogatari, I would assume that in Bakemonogatari that Hanekawa hid herself and allowed the Sawari Neko to do its own thing because she didn't want to confront Araragi about her feelings towards him. I think it's really cool though, and it certainly offers an interesting dynamic about Hanekawa's character.

Now it has a sense. Thanks for explaining! :)

Anyway 7/10
I enjoyed Nise much more.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 10, 2014 2:52 PM

Feb 2014
Besides the non-sense sword's scene inside her body, there is another one that left me irritated:

--What the fuck that, when Shinobu started to regenerate Araragi's body with her blood, his clothes and shoes were regenerated, too?! WTF..?! This really pissed me of... An anime/'light novel' level that is Monogatari (considered by the most of the persons) and good view by the most of the viewers make this..?! That's right that everything do not exists and it's all fiction... but regenerate clothes and the shoes, too?! -.-

Please, give me a GOOD reason for that... for example:

(1) "If he regenerated only his body he would be naked" -> Cut it out... don't come me with this excuse;

(2) "The clothes, shoes and other accessories are part of his body" -> Even being also another no-sense excuse, as the regenaration of his clothes, I'll accept it as the reason that justifies his clothes and shoes regeneration.
Nov 10, 2014 2:55 PM

Feb 2014
oi
Nov 28, 2014 11:27 AM

May 2014
It was amazing. Except that I would've liked more characters, I have nothing to say against it.
Jan 6, 2015 3:19 PM

Apr 2010
I don't get it. Can anyone explain to me why you love it so much? I give Nekomonogatari a 7/10. To me it was good but not so good I'd say I truly love it with all my heart. To me it was interesting really, the dialogue, the funnyness, the ecchiness, the gore, the animation, but it didn't get me as me as much as I thought it would. I'm definitely gonna keep watching the monogatari series, but I'd like someone to explain to me why they thought it deserves a 8/10, 9/10 or 10/10.

Maybe it's because I don't understand every piece of the dialogue cause english isn't my primary language, but I truly don't understand why the monogatari series receive such a high score on MAL, but I truly want to. I hope someone's explanation can open my eyes to the greatness I'm missing from the monogatari series.

An example of something I don't understand is why Araragi didn't love Hanekawa. What I understood is that he couldn't love because she's too righteous or something and because he only lusted after her extremely hot body.
Feb 13, 2015 2:12 PM

Nov 2014
Nekomonogatari: Kuro was really just all around decent. It's predecessors (Bake and Nise) were much better, and much more... interesting. However, the last episode of Nekomonogatari: Kuro is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series so far. I see little appreciation for the very first scene after the opener, which was so creative and cool. When everything went slow-motion and strings started playing in the background music. Straight up insane.
Mar 11, 2015 12:41 AM

Jul 2013
Affie15 said:
I don't get it. Can anyone explain to me why you love it so much? I give Nekomonogatari a 7/10. To me it was good but not so good I'd say I truly love it with all my heart. To me it was interesting really, the dialogue, the funnyness, the ecchiness, the gore, the animation, but it didn't get me as me as much as I thought it would. I'm definitely gonna keep watching the monogatari series, but I'd like someone to explain to me why they thought it deserves a 8/10, 9/10 or 10/10.

Maybe it's because I don't understand every piece of the dialogue cause english isn't my primary language, but I truly don't understand why the monogatari series receive such a high score on MAL, but I truly want to. I hope someone's explanation can open my eyes to the greatness I'm missing from the monogatari series.

An example of something I don't understand is why Araragi didn't love Hanekawa. What I understood is that he couldn't love because she's too righteous or something and because he only lusted after her extremely hot body.

he realized that the hanekawa he used to hang out is not the real person.
to explain more about the hanekawa character will spoil alot from the first arc of second season, Tsubasa Tiger. for now i will refrain to explain untill you watched these.
current LN reading:
translated here
Mar 19, 2015 12:05 AM

May 2014
Not bad! Definitely a good prequel arc!
Apr 20, 2015 7:22 PM

Apr 2014
Shinobu is the real MVP here <3

Jul 12, 2015 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
Beautiful Black-Hanekawa-chan in panties
Aug 1, 2015 10:34 PM

Jul 2014
1/5 for the episode, overall rating 2/10.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

121 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 17, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

121 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 17, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

153 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 17, 7:05 AM

» explain pls

Tauronek - Sep 6, 2017

5 by Rob7 »»
Nov 8, 2022 5:24 PM

» Why dosent this season get much atention?

CrotakuShinobi - Nov 6, 2015

34 by mr_modest »»
Jul 14, 2021 5:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.