Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 30, 2012 1:51 AM

Nov 2012
I know it's called Paprika but that's about it. Can somebody please explain this movie to me?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/1943/Paprika
RandomPerson4Dec 30, 2012 1:55 AM
Dec 30, 2012 1:57 AM

Sep 2012
WildCatTomo said:
A link would be nice.

Look at me! I can't enter 8 keystrokes and click ONCE!
Dec 30, 2012 1:58 AM

Aug 2012
Noinochi said:
WildCatTomo said:
A link would be nice.

LOL somebody's in a bad mood. :D
Dec 30, 2012 1:59 AM

Mar 2012
Noinochi said:
WildCatTomo said:
A link would be nice.

The funny part is it might've taken more effort to type that then actually look it up himself.
Dec 30, 2012 2:03 AM
Jun 2012
One of my favorite animated films, and the last great picture by Satoshi Kon.

Paprika is animation as dream. A melting pot of thought processes and identities hidden deep within the human mind, just waiting to be put into fruition. It is a film that proves the unlimited potential behind what people can do with their imaginations, putting every absurd piece of character onto paper, a computer, a piece of celluloid acetate, and even a 35mm projection, 4K Scanner, or a Technicolor printing. It is a playful presentation of a medium.
Dec 30, 2012 2:05 AM

Mar 2011
If you don't know, then you're too young to ask.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Dec 30, 2012 2:09 AM

Sep 2012

Everybody calm your tits.
Dec 30, 2012 2:24 AM

Aug 2011
NexusHanzer said:
One of my favorite animated films, and the last great picture by Satoshi Kon.

Paprika is animation as dream. A melting pot of thought processes and identities hidden deep within the human mind, just waiting to be put into fruition. It is a film that proves the unlimited potential behind what people can do with their imaginations, putting every absurd piece of character onto paper, a computer, a piece of celluloid acetate, and even a 35mm projection, 4K Scanner, or a Technicolor printing. It is a playful presentation of a medium.

tl;dr, 2deep4u
Jan 12, 2013 6:23 AM

Oct 2012
Are u still discussing about the film? or arguing about the other? Well... About the film...I really liked, but I need to agree with some reviews...It wasn't a masterpiece, it should be divided in two movies, for character development.

Well, maybe it was just a dream, maybe it wasn't...
Jun 3, 2013 6:37 AM

Sep 2010
toybox said:

Otaku - searching Hidden Deep Meanings where is none.
kitsune0Jun 3, 2013 7:10 AM

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Aug 18, 2013 12:10 PM

Jun 2012
I don't see what there was to misunderstand, watch it again but pay attention this time xD I'm not saying there is some massive deep meaning, just saying that if you don't have a clue what happened, then you probably werent paying attention. Wasn't hard to follow imo.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Oct 25, 2013 9:44 PM
Jul 2018
Believe it or not... you just watched a Japanese animated movie.
Oct 26, 2013 6:03 AM

Jun 2013
I thought the movie was absolutely fantastic! However I did feel like the plot drifted a bit but not so much that I did not understand the movie. Thankfully though the animations and soundtrack were so good the plot did not matter at those points.
--TrustOnly1
Mar 14, 2014 5:36 PM

Jan 2012
People who automatically dismiss things like this with words like wtf did I just watch don't deserve anything
Mar 15, 2014 4:09 AM

Sep 2010
People who judge others by their opinions about cartoons don't deserve a privilege to voice their own opinions.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Nov 1, 2014 2:49 AM

Sep 2014
This movie sucked.

Throwing bullshit at the the audience and saying "BUT DREAM SO GOES ANYTHING!!!" doesn't cut it. Nothing was explored in depth. The visuals were nice, though: I liked how the dreams flowed together from scene to scene.
Feb 22, 2015 12:24 PM
Oct 2011
kitsune0 said:
toybox said:

i.e. they think that if the anime has a hidden meaning its a masterpiece or a "well-written" anime.

The movie was awful. The only thing it was good at was letting me laugh my ass off at the end because of how bad, and "deep", it was.

renders said:
People who automatically dismiss things like this with words like wtf did I just watch don't deserve anything
It actually means the writers did an awful job at making a comprehensible and entertaining anime.
May 12, 2015 2:33 PM

May 2014
Those who don't make an effort to learn about the movie's messages and then ask for the answer are just plain lazy. If you want to learn about the movie, go look for yourself, or if you have tried hard to find some answers but still don't get it, read the wiki:

http://satoshikon.wikia.com/wiki/Paprika

A lot of people dismiss the movie as 'awful' due to the meaning of the movie not laid out in bold writing for them. Just because you don't understand the movie or if you don't like the fact it has a deep meaning in the first place, doesn't mean it was bad.

kitsune0 said:
People who judge others by their opinions about cartoons don't deserve a privilege to voice their own opinions.

If you're talking about what 'renders' said, then I don't think that's what they meant at all, I think what they meant was exactly what I said, if you don't put an effort into it, you don't deserve to be told the meaning of the movie if you won't care too much about it.
Dec 8, 2015 9:02 PM

Jan 2010
there was a hole in the plot... litterally.
Final Fantasy VII is a shitty game.
Jan 9, 2016 12:35 AM

Mar 2008
Hollow-Oak said:

A lot of people dismiss the movie as 'awful' due to the meaning of the movie not laid out in bold writing for them. Just because you don't understand the movie or if you don't like the fact it has a deep meaning in the first place, doesn't mean it was bad.

I've noticed the same trend with a lot of similar anime that are more difficult to understand (Kyousougiga, Paranoia Agent, Kekkai Sensen's ending e.g.). If someone does not understand it usually means it must suck, which is really sad...
Tbh Paprika is not my favorite work of Satoshi Kon. It's actually quite easy to understand, unlike his other works (Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue) and it's a lot more about showcasing how to merge reality with fiction animation-wise.
That is to say I still enjoyed watching it so much more than a lot of other movies..^^'
May 24, 2016 1:01 PM
Mar 2015
This movie is a real mess BUT it is good although it took me some time to understand what was going on. It felt literally like you would experience a dream which wis confusing.
Oct 1, 2016 9:33 AM

Nov 2015
kitsune0 said:
toybox said:

Amazing, I learned something new today :D wonderful jajaja.

renders said:
This is a new level of edgy/2deep4u
Dec 10, 2018 9:02 PM
Apr 2018
Everyone be talking about how they understood everything and anyone who doesn't is not mature enough to watch this show, but they themselves won't provide a proper explanation of what it was actually trying to convey or even provide a relevant article explaining the show (and wiki articles just regurgitating what happened in the show doesn't count btw). So, like do we have to an entire PhD course under your mentorship to get an explanation out of you guys or something?
Apr 17, 2019 2:10 PM
Nov 2015
notsomacho said:
This movie sucked.

Throwing bullshit at the the audience and saying "BUT DREAM SO GOES ANYTHING!!!" doesn't cut it. Nothing was explored in depth. The visuals were nice, though: I liked how the dreams flowed together from scene to scene.
yes in fact in a dream anything goes
May 21, 2019 10:17 AM

Jul 2013
SomeRandomBloke said:
Everyone be talking about how they understood everything and anyone who doesn't is not mature enough to watch this show, but they themselves won't provide a proper explanation of what it was actually trying to convey or even provide a relevant article explaining the show (and wiki articles just regurgitating what happened in the show doesn't count btw). So, like do we have to an entire PhD course under your mentorship to get an explanation out of you guys or something?

Sksksksksk don't go there. You know MAL users like to pretend they're more intelligent than they really are lmfao
Feb 28, 2021 10:36 AM

Apr 2016
It was a dream. They never make sense.

It was fun trip.

Though my dreams just involve being in public in various stages of undress. Sigh.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Paprika Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Krelian - Apr 24, 2007

297 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 9, 5:38 PM

» So, who killed the victim in that homicide case?

Samu-tan - Aug 27, 2010

9 by Beatnik »»
Jan 1, 9:00 AM

» For what reasons do you like this movie?

Unknow0059 - Apr 16, 2017

10 by nekogaro7 »»
Oct 17, 2023 7:29 AM

» What's the movie Konakawa watch at the end of the movie ?

Tsunamii_ - Jul 13, 2022

3 by Tsunamii_ »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:14 AM

» questions about paprika [spoilers]

darrenkbenn - Sep 14, 2021

3 by JeremiahOrange »»
Sep 14, 2021 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.