Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 20, 2013 6:41 AM

Jul 2011
Jasdavid can split himself in two characters, maybe the Earl has the same power.
When Allen resurrected Mana Walker, he did it with the Earl's powers. So the at this moment the Earl was already Mana Campbell.
I don't think the Earl taugh Mana Walker the way to drive the ark. And Mana Walker teach it to Allen during his life. So Mana Walker and Mana Campbell had the same memory, but not the same personnality. It's maybe why the Earl didn't kill Allen when he was a kid.
Jan 20, 2013 12:46 PM

Apr 2011
Yes, Jasdevi does but they're twins. Mana Campbell's brother was Nea. Can you explain a little more about why you feel they need to be two people? I already gave you some points (two posts ago) explaining how Mana and the Earl (human face) have similar features in their appearance, and the Earl (in ch 187) remembers what should be past Mana's memories. You haven't answered those points.

I think Mana's childhood illness (ch 214 flashback) was a sign he was going to become the Earl. There is a lot of emphasis on whether Mana will ever wake up, while little Nea is talking to their mother. Prior to that, in chapter 203, Apocryphos warned Link not to let Allen fall asleep or he would never wake up as himself. Later, in chapter 212, Allen falls asleep and Johnny says it's not a "normal sleep," but that he must be "fighting with the 14th's memory." It's not conclusive but it's a strong sign Mana might have been fighting the Earl's memory even from childhood.
Jan 21, 2013 2:32 PM

Jul 2011
whitetear said:
Yes, Jasdevi does but they're twins.

In the chapter 187, we can the real form of the Earl (with a sword) and 12 apostles on his side, so I think Jasdavid is the real form of the 10th and the 11th.

whitetear said:
Can you explain a little more about why you feel they need to be two people ?.

The chapters you gave me don't prove Mana Walker = Mana Campbell. And more in the chapter 187, Wisley said the Earl has lived during 7000 years whence the name "the Millennium Earl", so we have two characters (two Mana), because Mana Walker is dead.

En the chapter 187 we can see the Earl think about Nea but not Allen. So Mana Walker isn't Mana Campbell but they both can drive the Ark for a unknown reason.
Jan 21, 2013 4:07 PM

Apr 2011
amenboy972 said:
In the chapter 187, we can the real form of the Earl (with a sword) and 12 apostles on his side, so I think Jasdavid is the real form of the 10th and the 11th.
There are 12 apostles by the Earl because "the 14th" is not included with them. Wisely even says "the memories of the second to the 13th apostle." (notice that from 2 to 13 = twelve apostles)

Anyway, that's new. I've never ever heard of anyone trying to claim the 10th and 11th Noah disciples were actually one person before. I'm pretty sure they themselves state on the Ark that they can *become* one person and not that they're reverting to their "true self" by becoming one woman. The Noahs are numbered for *real* people from 7k years ago. It makes no sense to count a single "real" person twice-- they may not have even had powers yet when they were numbered! But most importantly, if they're Noahs of "Bonds," then their power should be to *bond together* and not to *divide/separate* from each other. I'm going to stick with the general consensus, and the way I believe Hoshino has always described them-- as twins.

Again, you're the first person I've seen try to claim there are *two* Manas. Occam's Razor: The most obvious conclusion everyone else I've discussed this with has automatically come to is that the name "Walker" was mistaken, just like the name "Allen" was apparently a "mistake" (according to Cross). We don't have enough evidence to rule it out yet but I can say for now that having two Manas is very convoluted and highly unnecessary. Not only is there need of evidence for that, there's need of a reason for there to be two of them.

Now, for the third time, rather than just saying you disagree or ignoring them, please properly refute the points I've provided. I'll repeat them below, and highlight some more:

1. Earl has a flashback that corresponds to memories that would fit the Mana of 35 years ago. (ch 187).
2. The Earl calls Mana and Nea's Campbell's mother "Okaasama," a very polite term, which strongly implies he sees her as his own mother. (Ch 218)
3. Mana's childhood illness suspiciously resembles the deep sleep before becoming a Noah
4. Cross talks about Mana and Nea being brothers but he calls them "Walker," if anything at all. Yet in the flashback in chapter 214, Nea talks to their mother about Mana and the Campbell family. Most people take this as a pretty good indication there's a naming discrepancy, and not that there are multiple Manas.
The chapters you gave me don't prove Mana Walker = Mana Campbell. And more in the chapter 187, Wisley said the Earl has lived during 7000 years whence the name "the Millennium Earl", so we have two characters (two Mana), because Mana Walker is dead.
Wisely didn't say HOW the Earl lived for 7000 years. If the Earl is partially based on the Count of Saint Germain, as Wikipedia states, he can easily enjoy the same kind of immortality as in the legend of the Count: via passing the same consciousness through multiple bodies.
En the chapter 187 we can see the Earl think about Nea but not Allen. So Mana Walker isn't Mana Campbell but they both can drive the Ark for a unknown reason.
What difference does it make if he thinks about Allen? It's even been said that Mana was a little crazy after his dog died and that he named Allen (formerly nameless and known as "Red" because of his red arm) after the dog because he thought Allen *was* the dog. Names are not that reliable in this story. I mean look at Allen's dream in chapter 184. Every time Mana calls his "name," it changes more and more away from Allen.
Jan 21, 2013 5:19 PM

Jul 2011
sorry I said a mistake :
On this page there are 11 apostles and the Earl in the middle with a sword:
http://www.mangareader.net/210-27347-11/dgray-man/chapter-187.html

Can you explain this ?

The Earl never die during 7000 years (chapter 187), so I think he cannot be Mana Walker .

If the Earl think about Allen (flashbacks), so that proves he have the Mana Walker's memories.

If I' m wrong, it's not a problem. Maybe you' re right.. why not...
Jan 22, 2013 3:23 AM

Apr 2011
Earl + 12 Noah:
Yes, that's what I was talking about. The Earl (Noah #1) + the next 12 = Noahs #1 to #13. Noah #14 is not "protecting" the Earl. That's obvious even before chapter 188 where the 14th says he will succeed at killing the Earl this time, just as he tried to do 35 years before. Doesn't sound much like he's there to "protect" the Earl, does it?

It's perfectly clear if you read that whole section. They don't talk about the 14th until Wisely brings him up offhand after the discussion about 13 Noah is *over*. Then Road says to shut up about him because it's a "personal matter." And Wisely doesn't even call Nea "the 14th." Instead, he calls him "that guy."

Earl living continuously:
As I said before, The Earl's character is partially based on the legend of a man who lived for centuries by *changing bodies*. When he swaps bodies, he keeps all his old memories. Wisely didn't say the Earl has live in the same body for 7000 years. Mana could easily just be the Earl's latest body.

Mana Walker/Campbell thing (just so you can be absolutely sure):
If there were two separate Manas, you wouldn't have Allen saying this:
167, p. 8: http://www.mangareader.net/210-15258-8/dgray-man/chapter-167.html

And in the chapter before that, Cross outright states Mana Walker was Nea's older brother:
166, p. 11: http://www.mangareader.net/210-15257-11/dgray-man/chapter-166.html
Jan 22, 2013 5:20 AM

Jul 2011
The chapter 166 proves that Mana walker cannot be the Earl because, he was with Nea, when Nea betrayed the Noah clan.
Thank you.

On this picture, there are the Earl + 11 Noahs. You can count them they are eleven, not twelve.
http://www.mangareader.net/210-27347-11/dgray-man/chapter-187.html
Jan 27, 2013 11:36 AM

Apr 2011
That Mana was "with" Nea up until the end means nothing if Mana and the Earl occupy the same body. xD

Maybe if I explain more, you'll see what I mean. If you agree or not after that is up to you.

1. The way those of us who believe the Mana = Earl theory see it is that Mana 35 years ago was just like Allen is right now: struggling to keep the Noah memory *away* and stay a regular human.

2. Nea and Mana tried to run away from the other Noah clan members, but as we've been seeing with Allen, it's impossible for a Noah to hide from the other Noah... so Nea had to fight to protect Mana. Unfortunately, despite all that, the Earl gained enough control to finally kill Nea.

3. Obviously Mana came back after Nea died, but remember what Cross said? Mana was never the same after his brother died and had probably gone insane. Could it be that Mana lost control, let the Earl kill his (mother and) brother, and is so wracked with guilt (Allen's hallucination of Mana from Nea's memory in 212: "Do you hate me?" AND 218; Earl hallucinates Mana saying "Nea... I am sorry, Nea..."). What did we just see in chapter 218? The Earl is insane too! Coincidence yes, but there are a *LOT* of these "coincidences" going on. What did we see in chapter 187 (and then again at least one more time during the NA Incident)? The Earl has a fond memory of, and feelings for, Nea that resemble Mana's likely feelings about his younger brother. (The Earl even *calls* the 14th his brother at at least one point-- I personally think that's out of his *confusion* rather than it having to do with them both being Noahs.) *Looks* like Hoshino could be giving signs that Mana is still fighting back from deep within the Earl's mind.

Here are some subtle yet compelling hints:
a) In chapter 205, Road said Nea "fought for Mana."
b) and that's after quoting his last words for Mana

See both here:
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/d_gray_man/c205/26.html
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/d_gray_man/c205/27.html

"But it's a secret," she says before disappearing. So what's the secret? Maybe it's the same thing to do with the 14th that she told Wisely to shut up about in chapter 187, because it's a "private matter." :>

It could also be what Road and the Earl are talking about where they first appear in chapter 188:
http://img1.d-gray-man.com/image.php?id=188&what=18
http://img1.d-gray-man.com/image.php?id=188&what=19

Now check out what the Earl says just two pages later):
http://www.d-gray-man.com/manga/image.php?id=188&what=21

"I as the Millennium Earl can't stop..." and "I can't allow myself to stop, no matter what."

Sound familiar?! Remember, what Road said in 205? These were Nea's *last words* and they were for *Mana.*

(**Note: Most sites have that translation that says he must "keep standing," which makes no sense in context, regardless of whether you believe this theory or not. I think that's gotten people very confused...**)

These sorts of subtle hints, once you start to notice them, are everywhere!

4. In chapter 214, Nea says he'll keep his promise to Mana. We think Nea promised that if Mana became the Earl for good, he would kill him (like Kanda intends to do if Allen "permanently" becomes Nea, though we know that won't likely happen) and become the new Earl (which Nea says he's going to do in chapter 188, I believe).

So to us, these "secret" words, and the rest of the "private matter" between the Earl and the 14th is looking more and more like the Earl = Mana, and Nea chose to take Mana's side instead of joining the Earl. We think because he's clearly gone quite insane-- probably from the grief over killing his own brother-- the Earl's mind is just too *scrambled* to remember things clearly, much like Allen's too scrambled to remember 35 years ago, much to the 14th's chagrin.

BTW I may have spoken too soon about the twins being one person (in the present)! You may be right about that one. Except I think that what it might be, as others I've discussed it with think, is that 7000 years ago they *were* two people, but every time they reincarnated, they were born from a single regular human. So ORIGINALLY they were two people, but because their Noah power is shared, they always *reincarnate from one person.* I still think the picture should have matched the text then, but whatever. :D
whitetearJan 27, 2013 11:46 AM
Jan 31, 2013 4:14 AM

Dec 2008
Da fuq is going on with this chapter?!?!?!?!? I understood nothing...primarily because the speech bubbles didn't exactly tell me who was saying what.

Is Allen Mana and the Earl killed Allen's/Mana's mother? Or is the Earl Mana and then Allen killed Earl's/Mana's mother? Is Nea Allen, Mana, and the Earl all rolled into one and one of them killed somebody's mother and don't remember?

LMAO! I think I just confused myself even more. To hell with it! Bring on my boyfriend, Tyki Mikk!
Hannah_AnaJan 31, 2013 4:21 AM
Jan 31, 2013 9:02 AM

Apr 2011
Did you read my post right before yours? If the theory I and the others on another forum have worked out is true (and I'd say it's very convincing), it will explain what the arc is about and make 218 make a lot more sense.
Feb 3, 2013 7:10 PM
Feb 2013
http://www.mangakong.com/manga/D_Gray-Man/218/14
http://www.mangakong.com/manga/D_Gray-Man/218/15

If the person who is attacking Allen in this chapter really is "Mana", then it can be concluded that Mana has some traces of Noah genes. He has the darker skin of a Noah, plus he has crosses etched into his forehead. The second I saw that, I flipped out.
Feb 9, 2013 7:14 AM

Apr 2011
Yes, you can compare those images to chapter 206 (see my whole post on the page before for links) where there's a slight glimpse of Mana's real face (no clown make-up), and it's from Cross' POV. He has the same hat, sideburns, beard, and moustache.

Also, because 219 is delayed, I recently read the last D.Gray-Man Reverse novel chapter (which is canon), about Mana and Allen. Among other hints, it describes Mana having "golden eyes" twice (it's his most distinguishing feature to the little boy "Red," now known as Allen)-- like a Noah! --and calls him a "broken puppet" with "cut strings" or similar, three different times. I consider the "puppet" thing significant because "puppet" and "doll" are both "ningyou" (人形) in Japanese, and in chapter 198, Nea calls both Allen and the Earl "ningyou." (Which also reminds me how when the Earl and Allen in his Crown Clown form meet in Edo, they're compared as clowns-- like *Mana* and Allen were clowns.) There's more from that novel chapter, but it'd spoil it for those who might want to read. (imo it's worth reading, but very very sad.) Keep in mind, a possible alternate title to D.Gray-Man was "Dolls." So I suspect that the "doll" and "puppet" thing is very significant.

And this is only the *latest* stuff I've noticed. Taking all of it together, that is one heck of a series of coincidences. So I'm certain Mana is at *least* a Noah like Nea, if not the Earl himself.
Feb 16, 2013 4:09 PM
Dec 2011
KosmicGuy said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
WTF... didn't understand anything .. and what the hack happened to the Earl and Allen is Mana ?? :|..i didn't understand a shjt :|

I think the thing that makes this really unclear is just how similar some characters look to other characters. It's really hard for me to keep them all straight, especially with the changing hairstyles.
I think I need to re-read the whole thing like 5/6 times in order to fully comprehend what just happened.
Feb 17, 2013 7:01 AM

Jun 2011
Haha, the last time I read DGM was pretty long time ago... Forgot who is Nea :'D And da fuq just happend? What's actually happening, what's this story about? And omg, why is Earl a bishie? Damn, Hoshino, what have u done to DGM? I'm sooooo confused xD
Feb 18, 2013 5:47 AM

Apr 2011
It all makes perfectly fine sense. Sadly, hiatuses have led to people forgetting things, and certain unclear/incorrect translations have confused people.

The Earl's human form was shown AGES ago, before the North American incident and then a couple more times since then. Allen is NOT Mana, though his eye might be connected to him or house part of his soul or something like that. There is a strong possibility that the Earl is Mana, or they are at least very deeply connected. If so, this will probably be revealed soon.
Feb 22, 2013 2:58 AM

Feb 2013
This is confusing but man, i can't wait for the story to clear and blow me away. I'm loving all these twists.
Feb 24, 2013 10:07 PM

Oct 2012
I think the thing that makes this really unclear is just how similar some characters look to other characters. It's really hard for me to keep them all straight, especially with the changing hairstyles.
I think I need to re-read the whole thing like 5/6 times in order to fully comprehend what just happened.

I agree with this. I made a comment somewhere else about how I thought some of the characters are looking too similar and I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that.
Mar 1, 2013 8:08 AM

Apr 2011
Lots of artists have either improved or changed their style during the course of a series and people are able to adjust. In this case I think the problem is really people forgetting things due to hiatuses, and faulty translations. Because seriously, I could probably mention a few of things that people here probably don't even know about or have the wrong impression of due to certain scanlations out there...
Mar 1, 2013 6:25 PM
Feb 2013
Oh no, guys! D: Scroll down for the news here:

http://www.narutoforums.com/showthread.php?t=816073&page=18

I hope Hoshino gets well and when she does, D. Gray-man will be moved to another magazine.
Mar 2, 2013 3:46 AM

Feb 2010
taydev said:

I hope Hoshino gets well and when she does, D. Gray-man will be moved to another magazine.

Aw man, I thought something was off... too bad. Hope she gets well soon. Wonder what magazine it might move to though. This could be another long wait for the next chapter.
Mar 2, 2013 7:50 AM
Feb 2013
cloud8100 said:
Aw man, I thought something was off... too bad. Hope she gets well soon. Wonder what magazine it might move to though. This could be another long wait for the next chapter.

Although it seems legit (and I wouldn't doubt it the way things have been going), I haven't found the news anywhere else. Looks like Shueshia has dropped Hoshino completely and she'll have to get picked up by another publisher if she wishes to continue DGM.
Mar 2, 2013 2:22 PM

Feb 2010
taydev said:
Although it seems legit (and I wouldn't doubt it the way things have been going), I haven't found the news anywhere else. Looks like Shueshia has dropped Hoshino completely and she'll have to get picked up by another publisher if she wishes to continue DGM.

thanks for info though, I'll keep an eye out.
Mar 5, 2013 2:46 AM
Dec 2011
@taydev ~ Well this is very distressing news! I really hope Hoshino gets better, she has been struggling with this illness for quite awhile. I'll be sure to definitely keep her in my prayers. Her DGM series is fascinating and the most interesting, twisted, yet confusing (lol) story I've had the pleasure of reading. But it also explains why there hasn't been a release in quite a bit, despite the monthly norm. Sadly, its disappointing to be unable to continue reading this awesome series. I was, and I'm pretty sure everyone else, was looking forward to reaching a conclusion to the story.

@whitetear ~ The DGM arc was just getting interesting, very confusing, but compelling and as much as I love its plot twist, I'm just as lost ^^;; Your theory of the Earl/Mana/Neah/Allen connection really does put these MANY puzzle pieces of the plot together and helps clarify things, a lil'. Even if the story may not head in that direction, I'll definitely keep yours in mind. I guess the question that will remain out there for awhile is: What is Allen's true connection to the Earl, Mana, and Neah and his purpose? What was the root cause of all this chaos between Noahs and why? And how will this all effect the Order (with the Apocryos, Cardinals, Generals n all) and the world?

Wide range questions, I know, but one can only wonder with a story as interesting as this. (^^)
Mar 6, 2013 7:12 AM

Apr 2011
Hi Madd. Thanks for your response. I was hoping to find some people who wanted to have a discussion in here, but I guess people have forgotten so much it's hard for them to keep the story straight in their heads without rereading. IMO it's well worth the reread, but that's up to each individual to decide I guess.

@EVERYONE: I've seen the notice in Japanese. It's an indefinite hiatus (like the ones before), not a complete cancellation of the series. Don't fall for that cancellation hoax. They've said there will be a note about the return of the series in the margins of the magazine, once Hoshino is able to continue again.
whitetearMar 6, 2013 7:16 AM
Mar 6, 2013 7:31 AM

Mar 2012
By the time I finish the anime I'm reading the manga, is it good?
End Zionazism
Mar 10, 2013 5:59 PM

Apr 2011
Of course it depends what kind of stories you prefer, but it's excellent, imo. The anime ends right where the story is starting to get really good, imo. The last couple of arcs are the best they've got in the anime. When you continue on to the manga, there's a comedic arc but then things will start to get much darker. You'll learn more about the Noah, Kanda's past, and other things. There's also a lot of symbolism and subtle foreshadowing hidden in the story if you're looking closely, but you don't have to find those to enjoy it. I recommend you give it a try (and not just the humorous arc, ofc).
Mar 16, 2013 10:38 PM

Feb 2013
Mikasa said:

the anime is worth watching, the manga is worth to be read..
the fact that the anime and the manga are both in my favourite list on my MAL profile..
I recommend both of it! d^^b
Mar 17, 2013 3:01 PM
Dec 2011
Hey I heard a rumor that D. Grayman is being cancelled. Is that true? Does anyone know? I've been googling it for a while and can't come up with solid proof; just more rumors.
Mar 17, 2013 3:59 PM
Feb 2013
MaddMouse0927 said:
@taydev ~ Well this is very distressing news! I really hope Hoshino gets better, she has been struggling with this illness for quite awhile. I'll be sure to definitely keep her in my prayers. Her DGM series is fascinating and the most interesting, twisted, yet confusing (lol) story I've had the pleasure of reading. But it also explains why there hasn't been a release in quite a bit, despite the monthly norm. Sadly, its disappointing to be unable to continue reading this awesome series. I was, and I'm pretty sure everyone else, was looking forward to reaching a conclusion to the story.

Definitely. Her life is what's most important here. I hope the indefinite hiatus doesn't trigger her into a depression, since she's been through depression before. :(

whitetear said:
Hi Madd. Thanks for your response. I was hoping to find some people who wanted to have a discussion in here, but I guess people have forgotten so much it's hard for them to keep the story straight in their heads without rereading. IMO it's well worth the reread, but that's up to each individual to decide I guess.

@EVERYONE: I've seen the notice in Japanese. It's an indefinite hiatus (like the ones before), not a complete cancellation of the series. Don't fall for that cancellation hoax. They've said there will be a note about the return of the series in the margins of the magazine, once Hoshino is able to continue again.

Thanks for the info. I hope she gets well and returns to doing what she and her fans love (D. Gray-man).

Mikasa said:

For me, this recent arc has been the most intriguing and exciting throughout the manga. After you finish the anime, please continue on to the manga and you will see! :)

CatHime1 said:
Hey I heard a rumor that D. Grayman is being cancelled. Is that true? Does anyone know? I've been googling it for a while and can't come up with solid proof; just more rumors.

It may just be an indefinite hiatus, but like you, I haven't found solid proof; only a scanned message in Jump SQ. No news from ANN or anything..... :/
Mar 18, 2013 12:58 PM

Apr 2011
I can read Japanese and the headline on the notice definitely says "notice of temporary non-appearance in print." (emphasis mine). Anyway here's further explanation from where I believe the English language incarnation of the cancellation rumour originated (I guess it wasn't intentional on that person's part, s/he just repeated info from someone in Vietnam or whatever): http://dgray-man101.deviantart.com/blog/
Mar 18, 2013 3:57 PM
Nov 2010
Well, I guess I will wait for the next chapters to understand more of this.
Mar 18, 2013 9:16 PM

Jan 2009
Sadly, there won't be anymore chapters. D.Gray-man has been cancelled due to Hoshino's health :(
"I don't want to live the dream because dreams always end when they get to the good part." - Sebastian Carmichael, A.R. Dragonfly
Mar 19, 2013 11:49 AM
Feb 2013
whitetear said:
I can read Japanese and the headline on the notice definitely says "notice of temporary non-appearance in print." (emphasis mine). Anyway here's further explanation from where I believe the English language incarnation of the cancellation rumour originated (I guess it wasn't intentional on that person's part, s/he just repeated info from someone in Vietnam or whatever): http://dgray-man101.deviantart.com/blog/

Thank you. It's good to have someone who actually reads/understands Japanese. I was a bit doubtful about it myself, considering the "cancellation" wasn't reported on any major anime news sites. :)

Get well Hoshino! Can't wait for the next chapter.
Mar 24, 2013 5:46 AM

Oct 2011
It's such a shame that a great manga has to end this way. But I won't lose hope that it will be continued some day.
Mar 29, 2013 8:24 AM

Apr 2011
*sigh*

I just explained that this is an indefinite *hiatus* and not a cancellation. As taydev noted, no official source will tell you otherwise.
May 11, 2013 11:33 PM

May 2013
taydev said:

taydev said:
cloud8100 said:

It isn't really anywhere else... you're right. And I'm /really/ doubting the NarutoForums source anyway, because the YouTube link they provided with it was a fake (I don't think Nicholas Cage losing his sh*t has anything to do with the publication of DGM?).

Siding with whitetear ^ We all wish Hoshino the best, but I can make an assumption that her health isn't so bad she is able to do nothing, considering she was responsible for the character designs for Valvrave the Liberator. Hope she recovers soon, but her health is more important than the series, after all.
'From my speeding car, I catch a glimpse through the trees of what looks like the ocean. Hope... a premonition. Every month, as I write, I am visited by such moments. The scene that follows is sometimes an ocean brighter than anything I could have imagined, sometimes a barren seashore littered with rocks, sometimes a place I once visited, sometimes a road that ends up going nowhere.

I would like to end up at a heartbreakingly beautiful sea.'

-Hiroyuki Asada, 2010
May 15, 2013 10:27 PM

Feb 2011
whitetear said:

Tatarata said:
Hum, but who was the man inside the Earl's globe? Wasn't he Mana crying for Noa?
Globe? You mean the hallucination of Mana crying over passed out/fainted/injured Nea?

Not that image. The man who looks like a Noah crying in the fight between the Earl and Allen. Is that Mana?
May 29, 2013 10:04 AM

Apr 2011
You mean inside the Earl's costume? That's the Millennium Earl himself-- his regular human (all Noah are still human, remember) body as seen in the middle of chapter 188 (where he magically puts the costume on while saying he "can't stand still" just like Mana would) and the beginning of 203 (where he's waking up in bed because he just suddenly knows Allen/Nea's in danger from Apocryphos-- and that's why Tyki and Road went to help him). The Earl looks strikingly like the middle-aged Mana Allen knew. He's the only character in the series who does, actually. And isn't it convenient that despite being out of his costume for so many pages of 218, Allen hasn't seen the Earl's *face* yet because he was knocked into a wall and sprawled on the ground as Johnny approached. He hasn't had a chance to *look* at the Earl's face yet!
May 29, 2013 9:55 PM
May 2013
Actually it might be bad translation since i watched the subbed version since i don't speak Japanese but in episode 83 when they fuse, and swat krory away they explain that they were originally a single/one noah, in the manga again might be bad translation in 103 in that say scene (its manga 103 i believe) after fusing jasdevi explains basically the same thing explaining that the two are one noah.

Now with that said i had watched this anime a long time ago but it had stopped airing, a few years back i found it on netflix and i do't recall if it went all the way up to 51 then but now i notice it does on netflix, anyway long story short i went up to 51 on netflix watched the rest subbed from a streaming site, and now i want to move on to the manga to she what happens next, however im noticing so many people having difficulty figuring out what really going on and there seems to be so many confusion that holes are forming, one hole for me is krory's ability when he fought jadevi i would think the author would have gone the root of making what happened when krory blood left his body a kind of innocence evolution/activation/survival as with Allen and Lenalee, after all who can really fight consciously without any blood in there body and who can fight as blood with no heart or no brain. I know he isn't a main character like Allen and Lenalee but after that i really think his innocence should have evolved as there's did, a next issue is Allen and Lenalee are the only ones shown to have forced there innocence to 100% activation, i had really expected to see the others do the same to fight the Noah clan in the ark as Tikki and just a few lv 3 akuma had beaten general yeegar so easily, it also makes me wonder if it was the forced 100% activation that allowed Allen's and Lenalee's innocence to jump start there evolution.

I know this is getting long but just bear with me alittle longer (and sorry for any typo or grammar errors) the whole Allen Noah genes thing seems rather foolish though i get what the author is doing, it has certainly be done before (think about the whole Underworld Hybrid warewolf vampire thing) but innocence is deadly to Noah's genes especially Allens' as he had sought to exorcise the Noah genes from Tikki how can Noah genes be following through his body the same time his innocence is doing the same thing.

Anyway thanks for reading i know that must have been hard with all my potential errors, so basically does the mana address these points and make them more believe able/ come together better, and with all the difficulties so many, maybe even you yourself might have understanding what is going on, is it really worth getting into the manga or am i going to end up disappointed like naruto shippuden.
May 29, 2013 10:14 PM
May 2013
As for the whole Ear,l Mana thing, i think is indeed possible the earl had lived in his current state as if he was to be killed and reborn/resurrected/whatever, as if he was i would think it would be the memories of Adam, the Noah whose genes he possess that gets transferred not the ones of his old host or previous body (but seeing as no one has resurrected skin bolic yet, and i haven't yet read the manga though i have goggled some info, it is just speculation as pretty much everything else i am saying as once again i have yet to read the manga), Nea walker of course is at the moment considered a different case as he hasn't been defined as carrying genes of any previous noah (i.e the suppose original 12, the Earl carrying Adams genes, and being considered the 1st making the total 13).
Anyway back to the point so it is possible that the Mana is considered to have taken over was indeed a ancestor or just simple a different Mana, seeing it has been said only the one with the license can control the ark and the Earl was so hurt/mad about Nea's betrayal, and since the Earl knows how to control the ark (or maybe he just knew how to control the new one he build as he is the one who built it), but if indeed the Earl did know how to control the ark on considering it has been said that he seems to care for the 14th despite the 14th's betrayal could it not be that the earl thought the 14th how to control the ark and gave the license for the ark to the 14th thous making him the player, and therefore felt gravely betrayed when the 14th gave the license away to a human (though that human later turns out to be the one the 14th intends to make his host).

Again i haven't read the mana yet, i am downloading them as i write this and will see what i come up with after reaching the latest chapters, these are just my two scents from what i have scene others mention.
May 31, 2013 4:50 PM

Apr 2011
HardyHaHa said:
Actually it might be bad translation since i watched the subbed version since i don't speak Japanese but in episode 83 when they fuse, and swat krory away they explain that they were originally a single/one noah, in the manga again might be bad translation in 103 in that say scene (its manga 103 i believe) after fusing jasdevi explains basically the same thing explaining that the two are one noah.
Someone brought that up earlier and I disagreed at first but I think he (she?) was correct about that in the end. I've had a look at the twins' song (in Japanese) and it strongly implies they were once one human baby but that at some point, "one cradle became two" if I recall correctly. Then in chapter 187 (which by coincidence for completely unrelated reasons I am currently skimming in Japanese) it is said they count as one Noah. I was aware of that before but I thought it meant they were two people with one shared Noah memory ("bonds," or 「絆」). Now I'm not so sure. While it's still possible they're two people with *one* Noah's soul, it really does look more now like they were in fact one *single* regular human before even awakening as a Noah.

however im noticing so many people having difficulty figuring out what really going on
There are two reasons for this and neither of them is that the story itself is confusing. Maybe a little challenging but nothing most people wouldn't be able to figure out with a little attention paid to a decent translation.

However, unfortunately, a lot of people refuse to refresh their memories during/after a hiatus, and so have forgotten many things. For example some people read the latest chapter (218) and thought they were seeing an important character's face for the *first* time when in fact his face was actually shown in chapters 188 and 203 already.

On top of that, scanlators out there have done what they could but they are not official translations and some have made some major errors. For example, I've discovered where a misunderstanding of some dialogue in one chapter led to one scanlator leaving out the one and only mention (!) of a certain character who is probably going to become very important later on. (That scene *might* be in the anime since it's from right before the HQ invasion arc, but it's been a while for me too so I can't remember if they cut it out.) Another scanlator changed an extremely important line of the Earl's from chapter 188 that is supposed to sound very familiar (!)-- I think it's an important clue --into something almost completely unrecognizable.

I don't want to bash the scanlators-- they mostly did fine for the rest of it in each case-- but this is a licensed series and the official translation is always going to be the best. If you absolutely can't buy the volumes, borrow them at a library or at least join a site/forum where people can help you figure out what's what though. I'm happy to help clear things up for you if you want. I do love discussing DGM. :)

and there seems to be so many confusion that holes are forming, one hole for me is krory's ability when he fought jadevi i would think the author would have gone the root of making what happened when krory blood left his body a kind of innocence evolution/activation/survival as with Allen and Lenalee, after all who can really fight consciously without any blood in there body and who can fight as blood with no heart or no brain. I know he isn't a main character like Allen and Lenalee but after that i really think his innocence should have evolved as there's did
I totally agree Krory's blood battle was an oddity and perhaps requires further explanation, but it doesn't necessarily have to mean he goes crystal type (or "evolved"). Rather than that, I'd say it's more like how Allen's innocence supports his body when he can't move/fight on his own (esp. against akuma-Mana, Eliade, & the Lvl 4 battle) and protects his body when he's injured (which is further discussed later on, along with the "problem" of a Noah being supported by an innocence, incidentally).

Weird innocence behaviour doesn't end with Lenalee's crystal type evolution. There's much more that might even help you better understand what went down with Krory... if you read further on...

a next issue is Allen and Lenalee are the only ones shown to have forced there innocence to 100% activation, i had really expected to see the others do the same to fight the Noah clan in the ark as Tikki and just a few lv 3 akuma had beaten general yeegar so easily, it also makes me wonder if it was the forced 100% activation that allowed Allen's and Lenalee's innocence to jump start there evolution.
Another character exceeds 100% later in the manga and what happens with that person relates to other questions you have as well...

I know this is getting long but just bear with me alittle longer (and sorry for any typo or grammar errors) the whole Allen Noah genes thing seems rather foolish though i get what the author is doing, it has certainly be done before (think about the whole Underworld Hybrid warewolf vampire thing) but innocence is deadly to Noah's genes especially Allens' as he had sought to exorcise the Noah genes from Tikki how can Noah genes be following through his body the same time his innocence is doing the same thing.
There a few things I can say about this but most of them are massive spoilers. x_x

Anyway, remember when Allen thought he "exorcised" Tyki on the Ark? What actually happened was that although Tyki was definitely hurt (AND this is something Allen didn't expect to happen-- he only thought the Noah memory would go away and Tyki as a human being would be okay --it's important that Allen was wrong about that/i], btw), his Noah memory wasn't really weakened all that much and simply went berserk. Just before Kanda managed to kill Skinn Bolic, his inner Noah did the same thing (but too little too late in that case). If you choose to continue reading, you should remember these things because they relate to what happens later.

Anyway thanks for reading i know that must have been hard with all my potential errors, so basically does the mana address these points and make them more believe able/ come together better, and with all the difficulties so many, maybe even you yourself might have understanding what is going on, is it really worth getting into the manga or am i going to end up disappointed like naruto shippuden.
No worries. You only had a few typos really. Only thing I'm really wondering is what manga chapter you left off on so I can talk about stuff up to that point instead of only up to where the anime ended???

Again i haven't read the mana yet, i am downloading them as i write this and will see what i come up with after reaching the latest chapters, these are just my two scents from what i have scene others mention.
I hope reading through it will help you figure things out. I can help a little as well. Please say what chapter you left off on next time though? Then maybe we can answer your posts more precisely. Have a great weekend. :)
whitetearMay 31, 2013 4:58 PM
Jun 3, 2013 6:50 AM
May 2013
I'm only in the beginning of the manga now, as though many have said after the first few chapters its basically the same as the anime, rather than start off from where the anime left off, i felt it best to start from the start just to make sure i not only refresh my memory of earlier events but also to make sure i don't miss any minute details that might have not been included in the anime. I mostly only read it on my way to and from work/school on my Ipad so it will still be a next day or two before i reach where the anime finished (around chapter 150 i believe i've read somewhere), so i'm still a few days away from the end.

I do thank you for replay to, and your input is greatly appreciated, as now i know of at least a few things i should look for and make sure to pay very close attention too. I am also glad to see that the manga will indeed address some of those issue i have, usually by now i would find my sleep quite bored and disappointed with many anime i have watched, only really sticking it out to see how the story ends/plays out even though by then i'm pretty sure it would be crappy. However i find my self loving every bit of D Grayman (just wish that the generals were more battle active before the anime had ended especially Tideol, even while the battle with the earl was going on in Edo he seemed not caring in the anime, until lenalee innocent acted up again, and he thought it might be the heart), and can't wait for more to see how it all plays got and gets wrapped up, truth be told i'm kind of trying to read it very leisurely so as not to get to the last available chapter too quickly, though i am dieing and tempted to just spend all day and night reading through it.
Jun 4, 2013 12:05 PM

Aug 2012
whitetear said:
On top of that, scanlators out there have done what they could but they are not official translations and some have made some major errors. For example, I've discovered where a misunderstanding of some dialogue in one chapter led to one scanlator leaving out the one and only mention (!) of a certain character who is probably going to become very important later on. (That scene *might* be in the anime since it's from right before the HQ invasion arc, but it's been a while for me too so I can't remember if they cut it out.)

I'm interested in what you're referring to, because I can't think of what scene/mention that could be, anime or manga. I'm rewatching the anime with a friend(though I'm only about to start the Edo arc) but I want to keep an eye out for that now. Would you mind replying with spoilers or pming me? xD
AlexTheRiotJun 4, 2013 12:12 PM
Jun 8, 2013 2:20 PM

Apr 2011
Official English version text from chapter 137:
"We have one of those people who are out to fulfill the wishes of the Fourteenth. He's very old. He came to us for protection because he feared the Earl would kill him."

Here's an image from chapter 137 by a scanlator who got that part right:
Jun 9, 2013 2:38 PM

Aug 2012
Ahhh thanks a bunch, I remember that now. Didn't think much of it then, but wow that's a huge difference from the scanlation I read.
Jun 23, 2013 9:44 AM

Mar 2013
Glad it wasn't just me that was left confused as hell by this chapter.

Now to wait until Hoshino finds the strength to continue the story.
90s J-rock was our aesthetic peak.
Aug 5, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2012
Allen is Mana?

Whaaaaaat.....?
(>'_')>#
~Here's a waffle, please calm down...

"See that? She's cute and popular. You could say that her milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard. But YOU club President... your milkshakes are wasted on you. In other words, you're wasteful." ~D-Frag (Best.Reference.Ever.)
Aug 6, 2013 3:46 PM

Apr 2011
No, Allen isn't Mana. He might have a small piece of Mana's soul/consciousness in his "cursed" eye though. :)
Aug 7, 2013 12:31 PM
Aug 2013
Everyone is overlooking something VERY VERY VERY important. One of the last lines in the chapter, the earl says: "Mana" is the cause of everything.
Why would "Mana" be in quotes? It's as if it's a false.
What if the Mana Allen knew and grew up with wasn't actually "Mana Walker".
What if there are several Mana's.
We know of Mana Walker (the supposed one who took care of Allen due to him being the only Mana we think we know). But again, what if that wasn't him. It was a fake Mana Walker.
What if the one who took care of Allen was actually Nea.
During the flashback scene, there were 4 people:
Road
The man Road was holding.
Nea.
The Earl.
The Earl also kills the mother of Nea (who the Earl calls "Mana D. Campbell"). He states that "everything's gone back to the way it was". It implies that there was a time before Nea was the fourteenth and the Earl was the Earl. What if they're siblings? What if they were orphans. The time before would be when there was no mother and perhaps they each took care of themselves (or something).
The reason they'd be brothers is because the Earl is Mana D. Campbell.
The Earl calls Nea "Mana D. Campbell" could be a way for him to allow Nea to escape.
If the Earl wanted to kill Nea he would have done it when Nea showed up after the Earl killed the mother.
Also, the Earl just watched the betrayal happen, he could have stopped it if he wanted it to be stopped.

Later on (or at some other point before meeting Allen), Nea decided to change the alias a second time from "Mana D. Campbell" to "Mana Walker" in order to remove his ties to the Earl.

The original Mana D. Campbell is the Earl.
The Mana Walker Allen knows is Nea.

What about the guy Road was holding?
He looks a lot like Nea.
Perhaps he was another brother of Nea and Mana (not important)
The man took on the name Nea and was one day killed.
Feeling guilty (or something) Nea acted strangely the day he was killed (stated by Cross that Mana, or Nea I guess, acted strangely on that day).
The man was a noah and he survived Nea's betrayal, but, to avoid suspicion, him, Nea, and Mana allowed him to live and one day be killed. Nea most likely agreed to the plan reluctantly to avoid being killed and later on felt the aforementioned guilt.
Nea's mission became to find a suitable host for his memory under the guise of "Mana D. Campbell".
Mana's mission was to act as the Earl (because he is the Earl).
The remaining noah's mission was to die under the guise of "Nea".
If noah's memories can be transferred to new hosts, what if it could also be transferred between noah's through some method? Maybe not transferred, but what if they can remove it themselves?
The death of the remaining noah was the signal for Nea to remove most of his memories and put them into the new host (allen). Allen's innocence prevented the memories from awakening for an extended period of time which is what Nea and Mana wanted (most likely for strength or something).
Cross was also incorporated in this though. Nea knew they would need someone to take care of and raise the host after he died (Nea most likely wanted to die after all the shit that's happened). That would be Cross. The one who killed Nea could have been hired by Nea and Cross (or perhaps one of Cross' reformed akuma).

Nea did something though. Nea didn't transfer the memories of any of this to Allen.
Zu Mei Chang receives these memories (not in his brain but in a physical form of some kind) and in order to save Link, Zu Mei had to implant the memories in Link explaining the line "I meant to save you but I ended up turning you into the 14th" (or something).

So...
Mana D. Campbell is the Earl.
Nea becomes Mana D. Campbell.
The remaining noah Road was holding becomes Nea.

and Allen? Allen is now Nea
LInk is the 14th.

"But aren't Nea and the 14th the same?" you ask yourself.
Yes and no.
Allen only receives the memories of Nea, but only Nea's personality (or whatever is inside Allen) remembers.
Link receives the memories pertaining to the 14th, not to Nea.
accelerator_listAug 9, 2013 11:07 AM
Sep 1, 2013 10:55 PM
Sep 2013
Yeah, I just registered to say this:

To the one who insists thatthe earl is mana let me say: i can't believe I did't see it sooner. As thanks, here's a page where it's clear mana looks identical to the earl: http://www.mangapanda.com/210-15226-15/dgray-man/chapter-135.html idk if you had it already but, oh well...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How is d gray man? Should you get into it?

MonadProxyy - Feb 21, 2022

18 by Enbu_Kirikaze »»
Mar 17, 2:49 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 250 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Jan 22

7 by Roxas232 »»
Mar 16, 12:36 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 249 Discussion

Mei-o_Scarlett - Oct 26, 2023

7 by Enbu_Kirikaze »»
Jan 13, 8:31 AM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 242 Discussion

Illyricus - Nov 9, 2021

14 by SoulReaper01_ »»
Dec 4, 2023 4:33 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Chapter 222 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2016

37 by jeremysama »»
Nov 14, 2023 11:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.