Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (97) « First ... « 44 45 [46] 47 48 » ... Last »
Jun 3, 2016 8:06 AM

Sep 2013
Hardcore Henry

Good movie overall.
One man's freedom is another man's terror.
Jun 3, 2016 10:18 AM

Feb 2016
The Hateful Eight, its godlike! Classic Tarantino
Jun 3, 2016 12:15 PM

Jul 2014
Plan 9 From Outer Space. Let's just say it definitely lived up to its reputation.
Take care of yourself

Jun 4, 2016 12:22 PM

Jan 2016
i watched Gridlocked, it was good and at the same time it kinda sucked, it was decent though, and i sort of got hots for daddy Dominic Purcell while watching it, he looked so manly, and big! uhh! :P
Jun 5, 2016 1:04 AM

Jul 2014
Reefer Madness. Not as funny as I'd hoped it'd be.
Take care of yourself

Jun 5, 2016 1:56 PM

Jan 2016
i watched X-Men: Apocalypse, omg it was good! it was the best of these x movies! and the only onei intend to rewatch some day, awesome! :D
Jun 5, 2016 2:04 PM

Aug 2012
Just watched Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker such a good movie.
Jun 5, 2016 2:47 PM

Aug 2015
X-men Apocalypse

Magneto feels, Wolverine scene was cool, Apocalypse was weird, Psylocke was badass.

Days of future past was better.
Jun 6, 2016 8:15 PM

Dec 2012
Just finished watching Hotel Rwanda. It was brilliant. Without a doubt the best African Film I've watched. So many powerful scenes, and impressive acting. That OST, goodness, send down chills down my spine.

9/10

Now I feel like an idiot for avoiding the movie, thinking it wouldn't be interesting from the synopsis.
Jun 6, 2016 9:14 PM

Jan 2015
razortongue said:
Plan 9 From Outer Space. Let's just say it definitely lived up to its reputation.
lol, tbh I can't survive that one xD

la critique de l'intention pure
Jun 7, 2016 8:04 AM

May 2016
I watched Zoolander. I love anything about the fashion/modeling world. I enjoyed it because of Stiller and Wilson, but the main love interest was completely unlikable and annoying. I think she was suppose to come off as a yuppie, but she just came off as a stuck up bore. She takes down Milla Jovovich in one scene... as if!
Jun 7, 2016 1:58 PM

Mar 2014
Warcraft. Seen it twice at the cinema, it looks amazing in 3D.
Jun 7, 2016 2:05 PM

Nov 2012
Dracula Untold, it was shit 4/10. Don't watch.
Jun 9, 2016 6:22 PM

Jan 2014
X-men Apocalypse.

Pretty much what I expected. Apocalypse was a bit better than I initially gave him credit for though, and the magneto thing did get tiresome. It seems like Quicksilver scenes will always dominate these movies.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jun 9, 2016 6:33 PM

Nov 2012
Now You See Me because there's a new one coming into the theaters and I've always wanted to watch it, I love magic. It was amazing.

8/10
Jun 9, 2016 6:40 PM

Jan 2008
X-men Apocalypse.

Almost everything that comes out of whatever her name that plays Mystique makes me cringe. Her speech at the end, oh my god. /shudders

Disliked Jean and her actor.

4 horsemen were there for the sake of having some action and contributed nothing to the story aside from Magneto.

Only worthwhile scenes were Quicksilvers.

Loltimelineisallfuckedup.

3/10
Jun 9, 2016 8:34 PM

May 2015
Moulin Rouge!

Didn't have any big expectations but it was solid.
Jun 10, 2016 4:44 AM
Jun 2016
I watched a horror movie last night and it is very nice movie.
Jun 12, 2016 4:35 PM
May 2010
One Hour Photo ★★★★
"Family photos depict smiling faces... births, weddings, holidays, children's birthday parties. People take pictures of the happy moments in their lives. Someone looking through our photo album would conclude that we had led a joyous, leisurely existence free of tragedy. No one ever takes a photograph of something they want to forget."

There was a time when paintings were compared to photos, how the latter were described to be soulless contraptions that can't quite capture a person's personality as effectively. Then there was the point of time in this film where analogue cameras were compared to digital ones. Needless to say, it's all just nonsensical nostalgiafag pandering fearing the advancement of technological improvements. Pretty soon, we'd have people talking about how great the blu-ray player was compared to whatever playback devices we'd have in the future. But I digress.

A particular observation I noticed people making was how the kid described the Evangelion toy to be a good guy. Now, lots of people were butthurt over this because it's supposed to be a bad guy that tore up that annoying bitch in The End of Evangelion. Robin Williams, who had admitted to be an Evangelion fan, even intentionally mispronounced "Evangelion" in the scene, as if to troll those basement-dwelling nerds getting their ass-crack bleeding over this. Here's a tip: nobody gives a shit. It's just a fucking toy. I digress.

There are also little goofs in this 'thriller' like how there were no security cameras watching over Sy stealing a knife despite how his asshole of a boss had stalked him with the surveillance system just now. He'd watched him like a hawk just now but didn't install any camera over a set of knives. What a fucking genius. And speaking of the boss, I'd made him out to be just a pragmatic employer at first who fired Sy's ass because he was being a lazy slob, but then he went into cliche 'Horrible Bosses' territory by disallowing Sy to even enter the mall. What a dick.

Aside from the minor nitpicks above that don't really affect the story of the movie in any way, this film was a pretty great character-study ranking alongside Francis Coppola's "The Conversation" and "The Machinist" starring Christian Bale. It shows the superficiality of photos and how those smiles sometimes misrepresent the reality of the situation. You never know what goes on behind that camera. Appropriately enough, the seemingly happy family here turns out to be living the lie sprouted by a cheating husband. It's a great theme, but I feel that the ambiguous ending kinda underwhelms it. In some movies, an ambiguous ending would work to great effect in the context of the plot, but this isn't one of those cases, as it leaves us wondering if Sy's statement about the superficiality of photo is justified because we don't know if Nina continues to live the lie or if she told her husband to go jump in a lake and get fucked over, lessening the impact of his statement. I feel that leaving the audience with a confusing, ambiguous ending leaves me less to talk about than when I'm left with a controversial ending because the only thing I'd be talking about is how fucking confused I was rather than how offended or how in agreement I was. On the other hand, the point of his statement was that a taken photo is more than meets the eye, so I guess the ambiguity does parallel with that message to some extent. Broken marriages are the stuff of millennials. Gone are the days of subservient wives who would 'honor' his husband despite how much of a misogynist wife-beater he might be.

There's an irony present in the two speeches on the television that supposedly spurred Sy into action; one's by Homer Simpson about how the person you least suspect might try to hurt you, which ironically describes Sy, and the other one is from "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (1951), where Klaatu talks about how 'the system isn't perfect but it works'. Again, this ironically says about how Nina's marriage isn't perfect, but it's functional, despite under a pretense - Sy probably mistook this to mean that the system is preventing asshole-husbands like Will from being caught. Then again, this film did mention Deepak Chopra's "The Path to Love" where coincidences are talked about, so maybe the irony was intended. It's further irony if you consider that he had mistook what the kid said about the Eva toy to be accurate (when in actuality, both him and the toy are the 'bad guys', so to speak). Films like these that showcase ironies and twists of fate are fascinating because it reminds you how strange life can be. And how fucking depressing. You should just slit a cutter across that wrist right now less you end up like Sy someday, bitter and alone and a fucking creepy stalker. Do the world a favor.
Jun 13, 2016 7:51 AM

May 2015
Eraserhead: Sounded interesting but I didn't enjoy it at all. Typical Lynch.
Jun 13, 2016 8:31 AM
Jun 13, 2016 8:16 PM

Aug 2013
Black Orpheus.

Nice Brazilian take on a Greek myth. The black girl who played Eurydice was really super pretty.
Jun 14, 2016 5:10 PM

Jan 2016
this weekend i watched The Conjuring 2, it was pretty good! not as spooky as the first one but still good, at least they didnt fucked up, it was a worthy sequel :)

and yesterday i rewatched the last star wars, i thought it kinda sucked the first time i watched but now at the second time i found pretty good! weird hehe, its way better than all of the previous three at least.
Jun 14, 2016 7:41 PM

Jan 2015
A Tale of Samurai Cooking: A True Love Story

lol, like the title said, it's just another bullcrap one, the like Tenchi: The Samurai Astronomer, formulaic melodrama about samurai [insert the job]. well straight 5/10 will be proper, tho' the cast were not bad
karambiaJun 14, 2016 7:48 PM

Jun 14, 2016 7:51 PM
May 2016
Warcraft.

As someone who's been playing since the original RTS, I was disappointed. The plot was poorly executed and terrible acting (especially Alliance side, Horde side was tolerable). the game references were nice and the CG effects were pretty, but that's pretty much all I liked out of the entire movie. :/

Then again, movie adaptations of video games tend to suck. Though I am not going to be surprised if Assassin's Creed is going to end up the same way. Let us pray.
Jun 16, 2016 1:39 AM

May 2014
The Big Short.

It had a great start. Halfway through the movie I felt like I was enjoying it way more than I enjoyed The Wolf Of Wall Street. The humor in it was great, but that was absent during the second half. It started getting really convoluted, so I was having trouble keeping up with all the new terms they introduced. I was expecting it to be more of a character-driven narrative, but it ended up being like a mockumentary about the financial crises. It didn't quite work for me.
Jun 16, 2016 4:47 AM

May 2016
The Conjuring 2

Aw boy, it was such an amazing movie for it's kind! I watched it in the cinema with my cousins and we enjoyed it to the maximum! Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson gave their best into this movie!
Jun 16, 2016 5:32 AM
May 2009
Minions - Was fun to watch. Who knew they were a species that dates back to when the world was created. But it could have been better.

Good Dinosaur, The Enviroments were beautiful, but story was dull.
Jun 17, 2016 12:43 PM

Sep 2012
End of Tour. I liked it. The chemistry between the two main characters was really good and it maintained this bitter sweet feeling through out.
Jun 18, 2016 12:17 AM

Jul 2014
Love Exposure. An absolutely wonderful tour de force of a film. Highly entertaining, thematically dense, outrageously funny, shocking, and really quite beautiful. I fervently recommend it.
Take care of yourself

Jun 18, 2016 12:30 AM

Jul 2013
Just saw the latest Star Wars for the second time tonight in the park. Was nice and all with the wind. Tr8r was still nice lol
lol
Jun 18, 2016 1:52 PM

Mar 2014
The Imitation Game

One of my favorite movies ever. So clever and very well done.
Jun 20, 2016 5:19 AM
May 2010
Finding Dory ★★★½
In MovieBob's Jurassic World review, he mentioned that the very first Jurassic Park was part of the "Three-Star Spielberg Club". I feel a similar sentiment about Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, and even Up to a certain extent. Finding Dory falls somewhere in between the "Three-Star Pixar Club" and Inside Out, Pixar's recent seeming attempt in returning to its former glory.

Speaking of which, whenever people talk about Pixar nowadays, they would always mention how Pixar has fallen from grace, as if Pixar always had a stellar track-record that doesn't only apply to Toy Story movies. They forgot about A Bug's Life for starters, and as mentioned, both Monsters, Inc. and Finding Nemo in hindsight were merely average animated movies, not as fantastic as The Incredibles or as groundbreaking as Toy Story 2 (or 3, depending on your perspective). I could name the few movies that are truly deserving of such high praises on one hand (counting the Toy Story trilogy, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, and MAYBE Inside Out, but that's too soon to really soak in retrospection). I personally had fell into this delusion myself in my younger days, but having recognized the tired cliches and run-of-the-mill cartoon gags plastered over every Dreamworks Animation movies these days, it's really hard to stay a loyal fan blindly defending blatantly average movies. I would still prefer Pixar's down-to-earth smart writing over Dreamworks' "let's make cartoon characters do goofy things" routine, of course, but being better than a pile of shit is hardly a worthy accomplishment.

And that's another thing about movies that I've come to realize. I appreciate the value of money, as I don't earn much myself. So if I'm going to throw my hard-earned cash at movies, I expect to have a great time, like "Empire Strikes Back" great time, not a "Return of the Jedi-eh-it-was-okay" kind of experience. There are countless movies coming out every year. I can't just blindly throw my money at whichever and hope that it might remotely entertain me, and reviews by the so-called "professional critics" are becoming more subjective the more I view those reviews in how I ended up disagreeing with them. Which is why this movie has making me take yet another step towards not paying money to movies I think I might not have a great time watching. Why support an industry that pull a half-assed effort? If Hollywood thinks that it can just churn out mediocre movies like the feminist Ghostbusters and "I would go see it anyway", they've got another thing coming. James Rolfe's sensibilities about not watching a movie and not giving Hollywood the ammunition are in the right place.

Also, one last thing before I finally get on to the movie: bad movies are fun to make fun of, great movies are fun to watch, but mediocre and boring movies are in an especially terrible place because there's no redeeming value.

That said, most of the stuff I just written had nothing to do with Finding Dory than it has to do with my feelings about paying for 3-star movies, which Finding Dory kinda is. But even so, it's actually a pretty solid sequel that adds depth and layers to the predecessor while having laughs and whimsies along the adventure... for the first viewing. The thing is, much like many animated movies out there today, Finding Dory relies heavily on humor. To me, comedy is really a hit-or-miss genre. Some comedies are funny the first time but become shoulder-shrugging during a second or third viewing, especially if their purpose is more to distract the audience rather than having anything meaningful to add to the plot. Those comedic scenes are good for individual viewing when you look them up on YouTube, but it can be trying to sit through the entire movie and watch them again. Finding Dory's jokes, while some of them are kinda clever in the Pixar tradition (not to mention having the traditional adult humor snark hidden in them), I do feel that they take away from the impact of Dory's emotional predicament rather than add to it, the same reason why I didn't think Finding Nemo was all that amazing.

However, it's probably an inevitable writing style anyone would have fallen into when writing a story as potentially dark as this. And yes, Pixar teased how dark such a story can really become in the first five minutes of the movie. No punches were held, and Andrew Stanton practically told the kids that there's no Santa Claus and Easter Bunny. Dory's backstory was difficult to sit through, especially if you suffer from mental conditions yourself. In that, it's a far more mature story than it might seem. And that's also where the problem comes in...

There were many times when Dory would flashback to her younger self when she remembered her parents. The whole idea of how sad and terrible it was for Dory to lose her parents was hit over your head over and over again, flashback after flashback, till the point it became a little melodramatic. The worst part is that the anti-climatic ending didn't pay off. It didn't measure to the kind of stakes the film was building itself up to. The pacing for the final act just derailed the film into a generic Dreamworks cartoon where the characters do stuff humans would do but in a goofy fashion. It's like Stanton didn't know how to end the story, so he instead just winged it and threw in a last minute action sequence.

And the story was incredibly contrived, relying on 'fate' and 'destiny'. This is a more debatable point in terms of its effectiveness of telling the story, however, as it does fit into the overarching theme of the plot, the whole irony of the situation. For me though, I feel it's sloppy and messy. It was a good attempt and I could see what they were trying to do in terms of coincidences and ironies, but the writing's a bit clunky.

All that taken into consideration, I still had a pretty good time, I'd admit, and most of the returning fans who grew up with the first movie would enjoy this. There were so MANY allusions to the first film, constantly teasing about that thing that happened back then in Finding Nemo with a wink to the audience. It's fun and nostalgic to look back at them, but I can't say fanservice like that makes for a very good story. This is the equivalence of Han saying "Chewie, we're home" in The Force Awakens. Again, debatable whether if such entertaining value makes for a good movie. I feel that it's only good for the first viewing and forgettable and even annoying in the consecutive ones.

Wow. Seems like there were a lot more problems with the movie than I had initially thought before writing this.

In the end, however, I can't stress enough that this is an important sequel to the first movie, because despite all the little problems clogging the script, it took the characters from Finding Nemo and added compelling layers to them like what a proper sequel should do. Marlin reflects on his mistakes as a parent, and Dory's constant forgetfulness can sometimes be more heartbreaking to watch than it is amusing. Nemo kinda just tags along for the ride, but he plays an important role to Marlin's character development due to having a disability as well like Dory, albeit a physical one. There's a lot of heart to be found in this movie, and that ending shot is both a satisfying resolution and a melancholic reminder of what was lost in the very first scene of Finding Nemo. It's a perfect bookend like Toy Story 3 in the traditional Pixar style.
OminousWrexJun 20, 2016 5:22 AM
Jun 20, 2016 6:23 AM

May 2015
Cool Hand Luke - Quality film imo, Paul Newman and George Kennedy were mint.
Jun 20, 2016 9:46 AM

Jul 2015
I just watched Popstar:Never Stop Never Stopping.
my score : -4/10
:3
hahaha. Those who watched the movie will understand what I mean.
I kinda wanted to see more of Akiva and Jorma. It's the scenes when thye are together that made me laugh.
Anyone who likes lonely Island should definitely watch this movie. Its soundtrack is amazing.
I HAVE TWO RULES:

RULE ONE: I'M ALWAYS RIGHT
RULE TWO: IF I'M WRONG, REFER TO RULE ONE...
Jun 20, 2016 6:55 PM

Jan 2015
drop (2009)

well, mmm, at least souji tendou from kamen rider kabuto got some character there, tho' one side as always.
damn it, like the title itself i should drop it.

5/10

Jun 21, 2016 5:55 PM

Dec 2012
Popstar never stop never stopping was alright. Decently funny. It also had this:
http://i.imgur.com/vAGipb4.png

:3

Surprised it bombed in the box office despite the positive reviews.
Jun 22, 2016 12:17 PM

Jul 2014
Hot Fuzz. It was goddamn hilarious. It excellently utilized editing to create or enhance humour and the twist-ridden plot was hysterical from start to finish and surprisingly intricate, due to all the foreshadowing early on in the film.
Take care of yourself

Jun 22, 2016 5:51 PM

Dec 2012
The place beyond the pines.

Surprised to not hear about this film considering it's cast but after watching I think I understand why. I don't even know if I liked it or not. The first act felt like it had a purpose/goal/plot. The rest of the movie wasn't focused or had a cohesive message. It felt like a slice of life, I didn't feel like there was a bigger picture or a big message, but just some showcasing of characters who were affected by the first act.

Ryan Gossling character is the only character that made sense to me from start to finish.
Jun 24, 2016 3:58 PM
Jul 2018
Mean Streets, 7.5/10

As someone who recently fell in love with Martin Scorsese's filmography, I thought it would be a good idea to check out the film that launched him into the spotlight. I must say, it was an excellent film, one that displayed the intricate Little Italy in New York, and had some great Catholic underpinnings that furthered the protagonist's guilt at just about every illegal action he takes.

Not to mention, De Niro is fucking amazing as Johnny Boy. He's the one funny give-no-fucks guy you hung out with as a teenager, but once your priorities sent you on a different track in life, he's the bum who relies on you because he can't grow up. And throughout the film, the protagonist feels obligated to help, as Johnny becomes more volatile with every scene he's in, until his last act of kindness makes the core cast crash and burn, literally, while being chased down by the loan sharks Johnny owes.

I must say, it's a great movie, held up by themes of guilt, strong acting, unique characters, and a vibrant aesthetic, but is bogged down ultimately by budget constraints, that end up making a particular fight scene look awkward, because the production lacked stunt doubles. Also, there is major problems with the audio. For some reason not all car dialogue scenes weren't actually recorded from inside a car, so the actors had to do their voice overs again and layer it over the recordings of them in the car, which lead to it looking like the worst dubs for a Godzilla movie.

Another problem is how much time is spent on showing the envorinment, and how many plotlines and characters are introduced in the beginning, which lead to simple resolutions except for the main conflict itself. Overall good though.
Jun 24, 2016 7:40 PM

Mar 2014
Narnia: Prince Caspian 3/10 so fucking akward the acting especially the action scenes Jesus...... The plot armor is so thick it's actually pushing me back...
Eat Me
Jun 24, 2016 9:50 PM

Mar 2014
Elanin said:
The Conjuring 2

Aw boy, it was such an amazing movie for it's kind! I watched it in the cinema with my cousins and we enjoyed it to the maximum! Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson gave their best into this movie!

I seen it too and it caught me off gaurd a few times especially that damn tent scene......
Eat Me
Jun 25, 2016 5:43 PM

May 2014
I just finished watching Punch Drunk Love and I guess it was weird and kinda disturbing, alot of things made no sense and I feel Adam Sandler character is too fucked up. His relationship with Emily Watson is good and the directing is excellent but as a story I found it uncomfortable to watch and really doesn't give the fuzzy feeling films like most romcom are known for...
I've been here way too long...
Jun 25, 2016 8:23 PM
Jun 2016
The last movie I watched was Ferris Bueller's Day Off and it's such a classic. Everyone should consider watching it.
Jun 25, 2016 9:22 PM

May 2015
MetalFire420 said:
The last movie I watched was Ferris Bueller's Day Off and it's such a classic. Everyone should consider watching it.

The twist and shout scene is the only good part imo.
Jun 25, 2016 10:55 PM

Jan 2015
I saw the devil

A psycho dude butcher the bride, and the angry groom gotta revenge. Ok, not bad coz they're play hunt and torture game there, or kinda like that lol. dk anything about lighting departement, but it's impressive as i can see everyone face clearly at night

6/10

Jun 26, 2016 2:16 PM

Jul 2014
Deep Red. Dario Argento's direction is stylish as hell and really eerie. That being said the OST felt out of place and jarring and it didn't really need to be as long as it was. Great movie overall though and I preferred it to Suspiria, albeit slightly.
Take care of yourself

Jun 27, 2016 2:42 AM

Jan 2015
the yellow sea

have hardcore shaky cam-gasm like the chaser before this and this one nearly three hour, really really cringe-worthy. tho' i still wonder why i can finish things up.

5.5/10

Jun 28, 2016 8:59 AM
May 2010
The Disappearance of Edogawa Conan: The Worst Two Days in History ★★★★
This TV special celebrates 20 years of Detective Conan manga, bringing on board its author, Gosho Aoyama, to the anime writing team, probably the first time.

The first thing I noticed about this special was that its animation quality is significantly sharper and crisper, bearing a richer tone and color. The overall visuals just bear a strikingly softer look compared to other Detective Conan movies. It almost reminds me of Casshern Sins, which also bears this high quality soft-animation that's just pleasant to look at.

Before I knew it, there was a special introduction opening, one of those that you would only see at the beginning of every Detective Conan movie. By then, I knew this was going to be something truly special for a TV special to have a movie opening.

I think that the thing that really made this special worked out so well by the end was due to Gosho Aoyama's involvement in producing the story. Compared to most other DC movies (and the TV series), the lines here are funnier, and the twists and turns are far more clever. One thing that's lacking is perhaps the action scenes. There is one notable action scene in the movie worth remembering, but other than that rather short sequence, it's pretty tame compared to movie 3 and some of the other DC movies. That's a minor nitpick, however, as the mind-boggling intrigue more than makes up for it, but I feel I should mention that a cinematic high-octane action scene like the high-speed chase from the Lupin the 3rd vs. Detective Conan special (the first one that was broadcast on television) would have been nice.

Aside from that small complaint though, I feel that this has been one of the most solid production from the anime team for a long time. Never since movie 6 had I been as entertained by DC movies, so this was a welcome treat. It's a shame that they only pick up the slack on a special anniversary instead of consistently producing such high quality productions. Oh well.
Jun 28, 2016 10:05 PM

Jan 2015
royal tenembaums (2001)

so far i can't be a fan of any wes anderson work, but me always admit unique style(and ofc unique story & character) of his . what differ i guess, in one his early, the camera work is not so rock steady, but in some occasion he did shaky camera work too.

it's good, 7/10
karambiaJun 28, 2016 10:15 PM

Pages (97) « First ... « 44 45 [46] 47 48 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7566 by cyandaqil »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

4 by LoveLikeBlood »»
5 hours ago

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
9 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

10 by not-perfect »»
Today, 2:06 AM

» cardi b fans unite

batslimeman - Apr 18

2 by batslimeman »»
Today, 2:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.