Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 27, 2021 1:55 PM

Jul 2020
I really don't understand why people say it's a masterpiece and that the character development was good. I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, I'm genuinely curious because they were all so bland!
Our Mc just randomly went from bum to sudden inspiration to be an astronaut just because he talked to some girl? There was no build up or actual reason for this sudden change.

And the coworkers a bunch of bums as well, until the point that Shiro decided to volunteer then they did kinda improve.

Also wtf was that almost rape scene and everything being fine?? I'd be so scared of him that Shiro going to space would probably still not be distant enough for me.

I also didn't particularly liked the corruption/sabotage part, not because the idea itself is bad. I guess I just didn't like the way it was handled, I think it could have been better executed.

Those things apart... I loved the style and animation. The chase scene was great, funny and cool! And the countdown all the way to the end was absolutely fantastic and made me feel the most excitement! I felt so happy as the rocket kept steadily going and finally reached orbit. Space is just really really cool!!

I understood the messages in the movie I think but I guess I was expecting a more space related movie and thus it just felt a bit boring to me? Still the last part made up for it and it wasn't too bad, I did enjoy myself in the end.

Maybe I need to give it another try in the future. Who knows?
"𝐈'𝐦 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐞. 𝐀𝐧𝐲 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬?"
Nov 4, 2021 6:16 AM

Feb 2015
Ryuichi Sakamoto is great on this one as usual
Apr 30, 2022 3:43 PM

Jul 2014
Good visuals? Yes
Good space plot? Yes
Would I recommend others to watch it? No

The main character tries to rape his love interest, she hits him over the head and stops him, end of scene. What is worse is following this the next day she apologies to HIM because she stopped him from raping her, I guess because boys will be boys? Because they have know each other for a while and she hasn't put out yet, so this is to be expected? Because shes female and such actions are natural for a man to do when in a room with a woman at night, even with her young sibling sleeping feet away? Like wtf??

Couldn't really stop thinking about that for the rest of the movie, which is sad because i thought the plot of them actually trying to get to space was really good. I also will not give the movie a pass for having something like this in it because 'this is an old movie and times were different back then' or whatever excuse people come up with. I do find it interesting how some of the reviews for this movie dont mention this at all, as if this plot line just doesn't exist in the movie. How do you over look attempted rape and her reaction to it when writing a review? I also don't get how some see it somehow as character development or that their "romance" makes for a good plot, it wasn't executed well even before the attempted rape scene.

Are there other good space movies out there? Yes
Are there better GAINAX anime out there? Yes
Go watch any of those over this.
Oct 29, 2022 4:38 AM

May 2021
The last 7-8 minutes of this anime are better than any other Gainax material by far, I wonder how they went from doing this to doing absolute garbage shows like Gunbuster (bad), NGE (ridiculous and worthless), FLCL(crime agaisnt humanity), TTGL (Trash). Yet, the anime doesnt last only 8 minutes; overall this had the best animation and OST in any Gainax anime I saw.

Ok, now going with the plot, there was some slight overuse of comedy but it wasnt the worse and it felt too long in some parts, characters were realistic and in general I couldnt grasp the full intention of this movie, I was going to give this show a 7 or 8 but I cant forgive that rape scene, that scene killed all my sympathy towards the MC, you just cant do a scene like that and not hurt the perception you have for the show, if the message was that no man is perfect and even the well known heroes of humanity can be considered bad people or at least not totally good people, well... They are totally right then and the scene was on point but sorry I just can't let it pass.

Btw, did the MC died at the end? The capsule looked broken in that last scene at the Space. 6/10 and if you don't care about the rape scene then it can be a 7-8/10, best work by Gainax and a recommended watch.
Nov 8, 2022 6:27 AM
Jan 2021
wtf was that scene! Riquinni asked him to forgive her after he tries to rape her!!! 6/10 just bc of that scene. Were story tellers trying to convey smth?.
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Jan 26, 2023 2:34 PM
Mar 2021
Boobs in 90s anime always look the best.
Feb 25, 2023 11:42 AM
Superior

Apr 2008
Anyone who rates this above a 1/10 supports rape.
Mar 7, 2023 12:04 PM
Sep 2011
Damn, that was beautiful.
Apr 3, 2023 3:20 AM
Dec 2019
The ending gives me a deeply religious-like experience as a human being
Mar 30, 10:33 AM
Dec 2019
Amazing that Gainax perfected their signature "this thing ends with a deeply symbolic mindfuck" on the first thing they made.

I didn't expect it to be so interesting. The art is absolutely incredible and I can see why Miyazaki and Anno state it as a big influence on their stuff. Its criminal that this isn't more well known even if its definitely not for everyone. A space program vs military spending story is more relevant than ever so maybe's the time for people to revisit this. Although judging by the comments the last handful of people on this site to find Honneamise were a bunch of eunuch freaks so maybe not everyone can handle a grown-up cartoon movie even in 2024.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» guy with a cat

grotesia - Jun 29, 2019

4 by grotesia »»
Sep 18, 2020 12:45 PM

» Dub Discussion

JTurner - Jan 14, 2011

3 by YouniverSoul »»
May 31, 2015 9:55 PM

» Space

hellogoodbye - Oct 30, 2011

1 by Farabeuf »»
Aug 17, 2013 3:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.