Forum Settings
Forums

I'm looking for a romance anime from either josei or seinen?

New
Dec 24, 2012 9:51 PM
Nov 2012
Something that has an conclusive good ending, so no tragedies.
completed anime only please.
Dec 24, 2012 9:54 PM
Oct 2012
drewzm said:
Something that has an conclusive good ending, so no tragedies. completed anime only please.

Complete, ouch. That is tricky. Toradora is pretty good and that actually ended. Try that.
Dec 24, 2012 10:00 PM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
drewzm said:
Something that has an conclusive good ending, so no tragedies. completed anime only please.

Complete, ouch. That is tricky. Toradora is pretty good and that actually ended. Try that.

I don't mind if its currently airing as long as its on its way to being finished, consistently airing every week and don't have wait for a new season to be made.
Dec 24, 2012 10:04 PM
Oct 2012
drewzm said:
Takuan_Soho said:
drewzm said:

I don't mind if its currently airing as long as its on its way to being finished, consistently airing every week and don't have wait for a new season to be made.

Yeah, that is sort of the problem. Most new stuff is based on on-going manga, so they don't have an ending in animation. For instance I loved Tonari no Kaibutsu, but the ending isn't particularly satisfying.

Does anyone know if Kimi no Todoke the animation actually ended?
Dec 25, 2012 12:16 AM

Nov 2009
For Seinen/Josei romance I strongly recommend reading manga ... not as many are made in to anime however I feel that is more just a statement of good romances in general, most are manga... Also you want a happy ending which is common of Josei/Seinen romances too however ... if you want a more happy romance that isn't necessarily what you will find in Seinen/Josei since they are often times more realistic romances however having said all of that a few romance you might like include:

- Aishiteruze Baby (Shoujo, this is more of a slice of life with romance becoming a more important part of the plot in the second half, the first half primarily deals with the male MC getting used to having to take care of his 5 year cousin who he has been forced to take care of after his grief stricken aunt abandoned her due to her husband's (his uncle's) death, it is a very heartwarming series and has a happy and conclusive ending romance wise (and no, the romantic interest is NOT his 5 year old cousin... this isn't that kind of show), a nice series but clearly not a shoujo/seinen although it isn't as cutesy and frilly as Kimi ni Todoke either)

- Clannad (Shounen, my second favorite romance anime, the first season is very happy and very emotional in a happy way, the second season though ... is somewhat of an emotional roller coaster, however while this anime did make me tear up a bit I would like to state that this was NOT a tragedy and does have a nice ending, while this is a shounen (ignoring the art) this series, especially in the second series, is probably more mature in some aspects (do not mean sexual content) but emotionally is more realistic and less "all for one and one for all" like you find in most shounen series)

- Itazura na Kiss (Shoujo, this series does give off a more shoujo vibe character wise however having said that this series does have a rather uncommon plot element that isn't too often seen, in fact the only other I can think of is the previous anime Clannad and another I will mention next, and that is this anime goes from meeting in highschool --> dating in highschool and college --> marriage --> kids and career (note has more than an episode dedicated to these, so its not like you see an older looking MC pick up a picture of his/her wedding day or of his/her kids and smile and that's it)

- Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (depending on who you go by either Shoujo or Seinen 0.o, anyways I myself have not seen it however this is a more mature toned anime that also has the whole dating --> marriage --> etc. element to it (done research and planning to read at some point, prefer manga in series where their aren't fight scenes since movement is not necessary and manga do a MUCH MUCH MUCH better job w/ romance), should be close to what you are looking for)

- Lamune (Shounen, my 3rd favorite shounen romance anime, sort of a simplistic romance anime, very straightforward with mild levels of drama mixed in and actual romance, really enjoyed this short series because their was no element that bothered me, it wasn't amazing but imo it didn't do anything wrong)

- Lovely Complex (Shoujo, read the manga so not positive but pretty sure the anime goes well past where they start going out too, the series is more of a romantic comedy if you are in the mood for that with drama mixed in since it is a shoujo, also while it is a shoujo the characters are extremely atypical for a shoujo series (not a shy girl and the guy is not perfect), rather liked the series)

- Nana (Josei, haven't seen it but supposedly an amazing anime and ptw myself once I get back in to the romance phase... However not positive that it has a happy ending and the fact that you have avoided it might mean that it doesn't have a happy ending though haven't done too much research (in fact none) in to the ending of the series)

- Onegai Teacher (Seinen, actually unsure if this is seinen or shounen however it contains sexual references (no nudity or sex scenes and is not an ecchi) and also features what is probably a very socially unacceptable relationship in Japan (well actually anywhere in the world) that honestly is extremely rare to find in anime/manga which is a female teacher x male student relationship being the main focus of the anime, I don't remember it being amazing however I did like it)

- Toradora! (Shounen, My favorite romance anime, it was done extremely well and I really did like it, it would have been a good anime w/o the romance (although probably only 4 episodes w/o romance since they would have had to cut alot of the scenes) however of course with the romance it was just ... great!, I loved the characters which were pretty original as well as the general atmosphere (which is why I believe I could love it even if it was just a slice of life with no romance), it is not your average shounen and shouldn't be written off as such, a good romance anime)

Also as a side note, if you haven't already make sure to read Nodame Cantabile: Opera Hen (a short 10 chapter sequel to the last season, link is to mangafox btw just as a heads up) ... Noticed it was one of your favorite anime and the ending to this short little sequel really is worth reading even if you don't like reading manga.

But yeah, I should note that everything I listed does have a conclusive ending and none of them are ecchi or harems (although Clannad might seem like it for awhile) ... And finally I believe that none of the ones I have recommended are too childish so if you are merely afraid of it being too childish don't worry too much about that.
Dec 25, 2012 12:21 AM

Nov 2011
I'm sad that no one mentioned Sakamichi no Apollon.
Dec 25, 2012 1:17 AM
Nov 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
For Seinen/Josei romance I strongly recommend reading manga ... not as many are made in to anime however I feel that is more just a statement of good romances in general, most are manga... Also you want a happy ending which is common of Josei/Seinen romances too however ... if you want a more happy romance that isn't necessarily what you will find in Seinen/Josei since they are often times more realistic romances however having said all of that a few romance you might like include:

- Aishiteruze Baby (Shoujo, this is more of a slice of life with romance becoming a more important part of the plot in the second half, the first half primarily deals with the male MC getting used to having to take care of his 5 year cousin who he has been forced to take care of after his grief stricken aunt abandoned her due to her husband's (his uncle's) death, it is a very heartwarming series and has a happy and conclusive ending romance wise (and no, the romantic interest is NOT his 5 year old cousin... this isn't that kind of show), a nice series but clearly not a shoujo/seinen although it isn't as cutesy and frilly as Kimi ni Todoke either)

- Clannad (Shounen, my second favorite romance anime, the first season is very happy and very emotional in a happy way, the second season though ... is somewhat of an emotional roller coaster, however while this anime did make me tear up a bit I would like to state that this was NOT a tragedy and does have a nice ending, while this is a shounen (ignoring the art) this series, especially in the second series, is probably more mature in some aspects (do not mean sexual content) but emotionally is more realistic and less "all for one and one for all" like you find in most shounen series)

- Itazura na Kiss (Shoujo, this series does give off a more shoujo vibe character wise however having said that this series does have a rather uncommon plot element that isn't too often seen, in fact the only other I can think of is the previous anime Clannad and another I will mention next, and that is this anime goes from meeting in highschool --> dating in highschool and college --> marriage --> kids and career (note has more than an episode dedicated to these, so its not like you see an older looking MC pick up a picture of his/her wedding day or of his/her kids and smile and that's it)

- Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (depending on who you go by either Shoujo or Seinen 0.o, anyways I myself have not seen it however this is a more mature toned anime that also has the whole dating --> marriage --> etc. element to it (done research and planning to read at some point, prefer manga in series where their aren't fight scenes since movement is not necessary and manga do a MUCH MUCH MUCH better job w/ romance), should be close to what you are looking for)

- Lamune (Shounen, my 3rd favorite shounen romance anime, sort of a simplistic romance anime, very straightforward with mild levels of drama mixed in and actual romance, really enjoyed this short series because their was no element that bothered me, it wasn't amazing but imo it didn't do anything wrong)

- Lovely Complex (Shoujo, read the manga so not positive but pretty sure the anime goes well past where they start going out too, the series is more of a romantic comedy if you are in the mood for that with drama mixed in since it is a shoujo, also while it is a shoujo the characters are extremely atypical for a shoujo series (not a shy girl and the guy is not perfect), rather liked the series)

- Nana (Josei, haven't seen it but supposedly an amazing anime and ptw myself once I get back in to the romance phase... However not positive that it has a happy ending and the fact that you have avoided it might mean that it doesn't have a happy ending though haven't done too much research (in fact none) in to the ending of the series)

- Onegai Teacher (Seinen, actually unsure if this is seinen or shounen however it contains sexual references (no nudity or sex scenes and is not an ecchi) and also features what is probably a very socially unacceptable relationship in Japan (well actually anywhere in the world) that honestly is extremely rare to find in anime/manga which is a female teacher x male student relationship being the main focus of the anime, I don't remember it being amazing however I did like it)

- Toradora! (Shounen, My favorite romance anime, it was done extremely well and I really did like it, it would have been a good anime w/o the romance (although probably only 4 episodes w/o romance since they would have had to cut alot of the scenes) however of course with the romance it was just ... great!, I loved the characters which were pretty original as well as the general atmosphere (which is why I believe I could love it even if it was just a slice of life with no romance), it is not your average shounen and shouldn't be written off as such, a good romance anime)

Also as a side note, if you haven't already make sure to read Nodame Cantabile: Opera Hen (a short 10 chapter sequel to the last season, link is to mangafox btw just as a heads up) ... Noticed it was one of your favorite anime and the ending to this short little sequel really is worth reading even if you don't like reading manga.

But yeah, I should note that everything I listed does have a conclusive ending and none of them are ecchi or harems (although Clannad might seem like it for awhile) ... And finally I believe that none of the ones I have recommended are too childish so if you are merely afraid of it being too childish don't worry too much about that.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out, I appreciate it. In regards to Nana I'm avoiding it due to it be labeled as a tragedy on Wikipedia and people saying it ended in a tragedy. As for Nodame Cantabile opera hen I'm hold my breath for hopefully an anime adaption. I know it seems stubborn of me, but I want to finish it the way I started it; animated.
Dec 25, 2012 1:27 AM

Jan 2011
How the hell are Clannad and Toradora shounen
Dec 25, 2012 1:42 AM

May 2008
NANA isn't too bad in terms of tragedy.

Honey and Clover - Suprised no ones mentioned this. One of the best Josei romances ever.

Paradise Kiss is also good and I also echo Nodame Cantabile and Lovely Complex.

Ai Yori Aoshi for Senien. Anime or Manga. Just as good IMO.
ZelnagaDec 25, 2012 1:45 AM
Dec 25, 2012 1:53 AM

Nov 2009
drewzm said:

Thanks for taking the time to type all that out, I appreciate it. In regards to Nana I'm avoiding it due to it be labeled as a tragedy on Wikipedia and people saying it ended in a tragedy. As for Nodame Cantabile opera hen I'm hold my breath for hopefully an anime adaption. I know it seems stubborn of me, but I want to finish it the way I started it; animated.

Yeah figured Nana would be a tragedy ... although think I remember hearing it was bitter sweet but guess that means it could be a tragedy...

Also honestly doubt Opera Hen will get an anime adaptation ... maybe an ova but ... Though I do understand hoping, I really did like the anime too (one of the few I would consider the anime adaptation to be equal or maybe even better than the manga simply because of how much better Noda's personality shines and the fact you actually hear the music).

Sunyko said:
How the hell are Clannad and Toradora shounen

0.o Really? You think they are Seinen? They certainly contain more mature themes (sort of) but they are NOT seinen, I think the common mistake in this is that you forget that seinen doesn't mean "more mature" it means it is appealing to an older audience (this usually means more mature themes but doesn't mean that a shounen with more mature themes is a seinen), both Toradora! and Clannad are very distinctively shounen for quite a few reasons and are not some of the series I feel are mislabeled... First off (although probably the weakest point for determining the genre of an anime in regards to shoujo/josei/shounen/seinen) is the art, both series feature a more modern art style that is by no means trying to be more ... "unique" is the word I'll use but feel their is probably a better one, after all Key anime do have a relatively unique animation style but it still is that very "moe" art style more typically found in shounen. This aspect hints at shounen however their are a few more solid reasons it should be considered shounen and first off I'll start with characterization and age. Both series start off and for the majority revolve around high school, while this can be found in Seinen it isn't as typical but of course their are exceptions to this rule. The characters though play a large role in determining the intended demographic of a series, just like how you wouldn't find the stereotypical male archetype in a shoujo (a lady killer, jerk and perfect in every way) in a shounen you wouldn't find such characters (most of the time) as a loli tsundere in a seinen. Then we move on to probably the most important factor of all in really seperating a shounen from a seinen, TONE, most Seinen will carry a more somber tone or a more "slice of life" tone in the case of anime such as Acchi Kocchi (which btw is an excellent example of how less mature not meaning shounen). And by a more slice of life tone I also mean often times the romance will usually not be as smooth as in anime such as Clannad or Toradora, often times the main couple with jump through hoops, go out with different partners, etc. for a majority of the series (examples such as Yume de Aetara or Maison Ikkoku).

Bear in mind however that the term seinen or shounen are not clearly defines so they won't always follow their respective stereotypes and sometimes will be situated in the middle, so while both Clannad and Toradora may have some Seinen characteristics, they both belong more in the shounen category (which btw their is nothing wrong with) ...

I_C_U said:
I'm sad that no one mentioned Sakamichi no Apollon.

Well the OP did ask for a Conclusive Ending so while Sakamichi no Apallon was both a Josei and a Romance it A) was almost entirely a slice of life, especially with the ending and B)as previously stated did NOT have a conclusive ending in terms of the romance.
Dec 25, 2012 1:53 AM
Nov 2012
Zelnaga said:
NANA isn't too bad in terms of tragedy.

Honey and Clover - Suprised no ones mentioned this. One of the best Josei romances ever.

Paradise Kiss is also good and I also echo Nodame Cantabile and Lovely Complex.

Ai Yori Aoshi for Senien. Anime or Manga. Just as good IMO.

I'v already seen Nodame cantabile and Paradise kiss. I'v dropped honey and clover twice already, last leaving off at episode 6. It was just kinda boring so figured it wouldn't get any better.
Dec 25, 2012 9:32 AM
Nov 2012
I added 'Ai yori' and 'Onegai teacher' to my list.
Dec 9, 2016 2:55 PM
May 2016
I would recommend chouyaku hyakuninisshu uta koi.Its about different couples with some tragic but some happy endings.Its a historical japanese anime with elements of poetry.It sounds boring but the stories are really touching and the artstyle is beautifull.

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Today

4 by Ten »»
6 minutes ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Yesterday

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
2 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - 2 hours ago

0 by MeZaDefined »»
2 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

70 by Meline0102 »»
3 hours ago

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

3 by duchessliz87 »»
Today, 5:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.