Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 23, 2012 9:58 PM

Nov 2011
Nice episode. The suspense is building up for the next episode. I can't wait, it seems like Saki will be forced to do something for her friends.
And yea, Mamoru's voice is weird but I think it suits him. Being weak and feminine and all.
—Actually, nevermind.
Dec 24, 2012 4:31 AM

Jul 2010
Damn, they really are targeting Mamoru because he's the weaker one. Or was he on the verge of becoming a fiend or karma demon for some reason?

Dec 24, 2012 5:14 AM

Nov 2011
The atmosphere of this episode is still pretty awesome as always (to me), despite people claiming this was a weak episode. Lot of tension in that but yeah, lots of that feel that they saved the best for the next one.

Btw that copycat not killing Mamoru and leaving a trail of blood behind... It wasn't very clear if Mamoru fought it back or not for me. Maybe he really was saved by someone else's Canti then? (I also think Mamoru's voice is weird but it suits him)

Siva said:
This show has never been about who is going to die first or who is next to die. IMO, it is more about how would you view this society that is trying to create a place for itself and preventing its own destruction.

I agree, even though both stuff are clearly connected, it's more of a story of the new world than of those chars.

kpk10 said:
Look at that:

http://mangafox.me/manga/shin_sekai_yori/v01/c001/8.html

It's the first chapter of the manga.

Clearly foreshadowing the terror that the akki(?) will cause.

The dead man looks like Kaburagi Shisei, the strongest PK user.

The two running are obviously Saki and Satoru, and the one with the long hair that is responsible (the akki?)... Who is that?

Is that Maria? Why is she doing it?

Damn!!! This picture connects lots of stuff in my mind to the point of quasi-spoiler.
Dec 24, 2012 9:52 PM

Feb 2012
Normally i don't get affected by horror, but since this series is clearly trying to be one i will admit some scenes in this episode and last freaked me out.

Everything is coming to fruition.
Dec 25, 2012 2:39 AM

Apr 2012
Well, I suppose it couldn't keep producing consecutive exceptional episodes forever. Still bloody good though, the intelligence, ideas and honesty of this show give it a very high baseline. Just the characters moving through the snowy landscape discussing and reasoning about the situation, it feels so real, the attention to detail in it all.
Dec 25, 2012 8:44 AM

Dec 2011
rishardew said:
Good episode, art was inconsistency as usual.

I can remember well and already deleted the previous episodes, but what's the reason for the Holy Barrier?

All cantus users are unconsciously leaking their power a little bit all the time. The Holy Barrier simply shuns the leaked cantus outside. That's the reason for the multitude of strange creatures outside as well.
So the barrier does not protect the inside from the outside, it actually protects the inside from the inside, it's more like a drainage then a barrier.
Dec 25, 2012 3:01 PM

Sep 2008
I have feeling this poster

is spoiler for "order of characters' leaves"
From end... Shun -> Mamoru -> Maria -> Satoru -> Saki
Whole story is based on "Saki's dairy" or something like this...
and in the end... Saki without narrative will lose her memories or die.

Maybe ending also have spoiler...
Dec 25, 2012 7:36 PM

Sep 2011
Poor Mamoru
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Dec 26, 2012 7:41 AM
Sep 2012
So Mamoru was on the run and one of the monster rats from earlier saved him. Not a real interesting episode, but Maria's legs must be strong after all that hopping.
Dec 27, 2012 12:18 AM

Dec 2011
Maria bunny hops... ^_^
Weakest chapter so far, but I still loving it.

@"Poster Spoiler"
I think you can be right lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2012 2:30 PM

Jun 2012
Finally caught up with this series. It's really good, very suspenseful. Even though they are still very young, their world is very serious and dangerous. Anyway, it's great, looking forward for the next episode.
5/5.

Dec 27, 2012 3:03 PM
Dec 2012
Somehow this series does not become the talk of MAL so often as SAO, but to me this is one of the best 2012 anime. I had been waiting for this kind of anime since I watched Seirei no Moribito. The story, directing, and Art (incl. character design) are all good. I like their use of soft focus, which is effective.
Dec 27, 2012 5:58 PM

Nov 2009
Speculations in every corner XD
Whether it's the weakest episode or not, i loved this episode very much and seeing how everything is building up slowly now.
Dec 28, 2012 8:06 AM
Jul 2012
A bit weak I suppose, but I still liked it quite a bit. Anyone else noticing how Maria's mental state is deteriorating? I remember quite a while back Saki mentioned that it would have been better if Maria had never been born.

My guess is that Mamoru's going to die, and soon. Then, Maria will become a fiend. Explains why it would have been better for her to not been born. I also expect Saki to become the Head of the Ethics committee, after she is forced to kill Maria.
Dec 28, 2012 10:29 AM

Jul 2009
Yet again, the animation's quality has gone to crap. I wonder if they're planning to fix up all the screwed up episodes for the BD release...
Story-wise though: great buildup, I'm looking forward to whatever happens next.
Dec 29, 2012 4:33 AM
Nov 2012
Poster and character design for the final arc of the series:

http://sp.matomech.com/article.aspx?aid=5571883&bid=1116
Dec 29, 2012 4:56 AM

Nov 2011
kpk10 said:

My body is ready.
The Art of Eight
Dec 30, 2012 12:20 AM

Sep 2009
kpk10 said:

Isn't that a spoiler. Are we even supposed to know that there is gonna be another timeskip?
Dec 30, 2012 9:40 AM

Jul 2008
steaminferno said:
kpk10 said:

Isn't that a spoiler. Are we even supposed to know that there is gonna be another timeskip?

Well, the anime's official site also has those images, plus the character expressions (http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/character/saki26.html). I guess we are meant to be aware of it.
Dec 30, 2012 2:13 PM

Aug 2011
kpk10 said:

Wow, they look so good! I guess it's confirmed that Saki and Satoru will go on to be the main characters. That'd make sense, considering that Maria and Mamoru seem to be saying their goodbyes in this episode's preview. Will the voice actors change as well? Maybe Saki's, because it's clear her older self is narrating.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. The official website says that they're 26 and their voice actors are still Taneda Risa and Kaji Yuki respectively.
Jan 1, 2013 10:44 AM

Nov 2009
id suspected it for a while but maybe it was always obvious...theyre killing off all of the characters until satoru and saki are left. i bet satoru dies too leaving saki all alone to wallow in the despair of being the only person alive knowing the truth.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2013 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Intereo said:
Okay, now I'll explain my previous post with two gifs:

The animation for that bit was amazing. Too bad the rest of the episode was different.
I saw it happen in some animes: first scene before the OP is great and the rest is kinda normal/meh.
Still, I like this show even tho it often has "static" scenes with very little animation.
Jan 1, 2013 2:25 PM
Nov 2012
aelove said:
id suspected it for a while but maybe it was always obvious...theyre killing off all of the characters until satoru and saki are left. i bet satoru dies too leaving saki all alone to wallow in the despair of being the only person alive knowing the truth.

I don't think Satoru will die.

It was obvious that only they will be left because from the war with the rats arc it was obvious that the two of them are the two main characters of the show.
Jan 1, 2013 3:42 PM

Jun 2012
kpk10 said:

wow satoru, such a hottie in that pic lol

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 1, 2013 9:05 PM

Feb 2010
Aozumi said:
kpk10 said:

wow satoru, such a hottie in that pic lol

YES. They look incredible!
Jan 2, 2013 10:45 PM

Aug 2012
So glad this is a 2 season show! so keen for the next episodes!
Jan 5, 2013 7:47 AM

Feb 2012
Nice episode,got nothing more to say.
Jan 5, 2013 10:53 PM
Sep 2012
foreveroblivion said:
steaminferno said:
kpk10 said:

Well, the anime's official site also has those images, plus the character expressions (http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/character/saki26.html). I guess we are meant to be aware of it.

Almost fell to that link. It's a TRAP!!!!
Jan 16, 2013 1:19 PM

Oct 2010
wow, stoked for the next episode
Jan 16, 2013 4:02 PM

Jun 2010
Watched it, liked it.
And damn, that linkie thing is too spoiler for me (oAo;;)/

like, i'm still trying to recover from shun's death, i really liked that character though most of the people around here seem to be relieved that it happened TT___TT=

*secretly expecting him to have a miraculous return or something... at least in sakki's heart... ~cries in a corner~
Jan 31, 2013 1:11 PM

Jan 2011
Sure this wasn't the most epic episode, but it was very entertaining nonetheless and I'm thrilled to see more. I want to see more of those strange creatures outside of the barrier and other things like that.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Mar 21, 2013 12:11 PM

Jul 2012
Next episode preview makes me think that Maria and Mamoru will run away together.. O: Pretty dialogue filled for the most part of this episode. Couldn't really take it seriously when they were looking for Mamoru whatnot with Maria hopping and all. But, we did learn that Mamoru is a target. He's unstable maybe?
Mar 27, 2013 2:37 PM
Jan 2012
Maria didn't seem to care that much about Mamoru in earlier episodes, but I like how concerned she is about his safety now. I bet they will end up together in the end. That is, if they stay alive until the end. Anyway, pretty good episode, 5/5. Poor Mamoru, being the weakest of the team AND be chased by a Impure Cat must be tough. Anyway, I loved seeing Maria jumping and floating, that seems to be a fun thing to do.
Mar 29, 2013 11:14 AM

Jul 2007
I'm still wondering if Mamoru's suppressed feelings for Maria are going to show up at some point.

I can also more easily see Maria becoming a Fiend, being fed up with the utilitarian society and possibly seeking vengeance should Mamoru be killed.
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Mar 29, 2013 11:30 AM

Aug 2012
The fact that Satoru commented on Mamoru's niceness to other people made it seem that Mamoru will become a Karmic Demon.

Woo, speculation
Mar 31, 2013 2:08 PM

Sep 2012
Best episode
Apr 3, 2013 1:41 PM

May 2012
Good stuff, they managed to track him down and eventually find him! The story progresses quite nicely now then the horrible development in the beginning... the information we've received from this episode was rather interesting why would they want to remove him first? Does he know something that he shouldn't have?

Lets find out next!
Apr 3, 2013 11:38 PM

Mar 2012
Though marginally tedious at times and the weakest of this arc, this episode was, for the most part, pretty good and thoroughly interesting, as it focused, at least in the latter half, on the continued examination of their slowly-realized knowledge towards the animalistic instincts of their society’s elders, and how, in turn, these cruelties have begun to affect them. The subdued nature of this episode was quite refreshing, but the narrative developments within, though compelling, felt unnecessarily stretched, particularly the first half, as the material was implemented with a rather mediocre touch for pacing. As such, several seemingly inconsequential moments, though occasionally derived from a particularly intriguing complexity, were detrimentally lingered on, such as the search for Mamoru, which became marginally repetitive.

My favorite sequence was their dreaded realizations following the exploration into Mamoru’s memories of the copycat, as they carefully unraveled the truth within a fragment of their partially artificial and wholly regulated existences. As such, one of the most compelling elements within the narrative throughout this arc is the thoroughly nuanced handling of their slowly-developing maturity, as the veiled façade of their decayed and oppressive society is slowly withering away, due largely to their renewed ability to perceive beyond their well-worn naivety, which has, in turn, revealed a plethora of cruel manipulations, effectively propelling Saki and the others to, once again, adhere to their rebellious inclinations. The wistfully haunting music that was used throughout the conclusion was yet another fantastic selection.

One of the most interesting moments was Mamoru’s unsettling recollection of the copycat’s second appearance. Both sequences, particularly the second, displayed some great storyboarding. Also, the isolation of Mamoru’s voice as the copycat edged closer was a particularly effective touch. Mamoru’s rather sympathetic speech was surprisingly emotional, as it provided insight that, though somewhat expected, illuminated an intriguing depth to his characterization. The melancholic musical selection that accompanied this moment complemented the mournful nature of his words exceptionally well. I especially liked that it was silenced as soon as Mamoru mentioned the appearance of a copycat. Though I’m typically intrigued by Saki’s intermittent bits of ominous narration, it was implemented in a rather mediocre fashion at the conclusion of this episode, since the inferences were largely rudimentary.

The search for Mamoru, though quite interesting, was slightly tedious at times. Thankfully though, whatever vague monotony had crept into the episode was nearly diminished to a seeming non-existence by the exceedingly melancholic and highly significant conclusion, in which the shroud of clouded uncertainty is finally removed. The decay of their practically illusory society has been beautifully illustrated throughout this entire arc, illuminating a particularly deft sensibility towards methodically deconstructing their manipulated perceptions of the world they had so obliviously clung to since they first arrived in it. The gradual transition into an acceptance of their inclinations for rebellion has been superbly depicted, as this complexity is a consistently intriguing element within the story, and I hope it continues to be focused on as the story progresses.

There was a distinctly surprising level of insightful exploration into Maria and Mamoru’s poignant relationship. I loved the rather significant flourishes of pained emotions that were filtered into Maria’s search for Mamoru throughout much of the episode, as they excellently conveyed a necessary complexity to their connection; one that had only been intermittently and vaguely touched upon prior to this episode. This was especially evident whenever an unrealized fear would be awakened, as Maria would adorn a sort of frenzied despair. Maria’s proclivity for needlessly jumping throughout, however, was a distracting affectation, as it excessively contrasted with Saki and Satoru’s comparative actions.

One of the most intriguing aspects within this episode, and the entire narrative, for that matter, is the fatalistic foreshadowing that has been subtly woven throughout. Initially, of course, Shun was seemingly shadowed by a certain inevitability within his limited life expectancy, marked by a plethora of socially divergent tendencies and an abundance of surrealistic imagery that directly foretold of an ever-approaching death. Then, though subtly alluded to in several earlier episodes, particularly the fourth, Maria and Mamoru‘s fates seem to have acquired this determined brevity to them. Of course, since they have always appeared to be inexorably bound together, it increasingly feels as though their lives will eventually be extinguished, which was further strengthened by the preview for the next episode, as their conversation appears to possess a sort of finality to it.

Though somewhat inconsistent, the direction was pretty solid throughout, especially during Mamoru’s moderately surrealistic memories. One of the most impressively framed shots within this episode was the quietly significant isolation of Saki, Maria, and Satoru’s faces upon first encountering the edge of the Holy Barrier, in which their forlorn expressions peeked through a miniscule separation in the rather imposing tapestry. It was a hauntingly effective shot, particularly due to it’s appropriately lingering nature, which essentially accentuated the deeply foreboding atmosphere. This episode was occasionally well-animated, particularly the moments that involved their expressive reactions towards unforeseen complications, but it was also quite inconsistent.

Musically, this episode was consistently great, as this particular aspect of the show, though it was occasionally mediocre throughout the first arc, has excelled throughout the second. I particularly liked the considerably ominous musical selection that accompanied the sequence in which Saki and the others discover Mamoru’s abandoned sled, since it was greatly complementary to the tragically hopeless nature of this fleeting revelation. Visually, this episode was quite good, though not entirely impressive, aside from it’s rather excellent backgrounds, which illustrated the deceptively serene desolation that surrounded their excursion.

All in all, though this episode wasn’t nearly as fantastic as the last, From the New World continues to excel with it’s narrative execution, relatively intricate writing, and the immensely foreboding atmosphere that permeates nearly every episode. The narrative, so far, has been masterfully constructed, particularly in it’s ability to remain incredibly consistent, since, aside from the mediocre conclusion to the first arc, nearly every episode has been suffused with intriguing developments and a beautifully foreboding atmosphere, as though every seemingly miniscule fragment of information or subtle foreshadowing was deftly woven into this thoroughly well-written tale. This, in turn, results in a story that rarely deteriorates, perpetually maintaining this superbly effective and comprehensively compelling focus.
Apr 17, 2013 10:31 PM

Sep 2011
Slowly starting to regain their memories!
Apr 24, 2013 2:20 PM

Sep 2011
Good, he is still alive, for now... I feel like he is definitely going to die in the next few episodes :/
I guess they want to kill him because is pretty unstable and weak-minded :/
Cantus-skiing is nice.

Intereo said:
Okay, now I'll explain my previous post with two gifs:

Agreed, the animation got a little worse again, though it's not that bad.
(The bonus is pretty funny :D)
Also, I really can't say why, but I liked that scene from the previous episode a lot.
Apr 28, 2013 9:51 AM

Jun 2008
myuun said:
KingCez said:
damnn i was shitting bricks right alongside mamoru. holy fuck. nahh son fuck that shit

why are they killing him? because he remembers stuff? hes useless? :O

I think it's because he is simply one of the weaker ones amongst the group. I think there is more to it though that we still have to find out.

They don't kill people because they are weak. There fear is about Feinds and karma demons, nothing else. If they really do want to dispose of him then maybe is because of unstable personality. The way he panics and such might make him dangerous. His such a scary cat he may start killing everyone in-frond of him thinking everyone wants to hurt him.
But because he is such a scary cat there is a good possibility that his just over-paranoid and bringing trouble for nothing.
Personally i find he character very annoying. To be honest i won't be sad if they make him disappear.

it seems very likely that whatever happens to him will be the start of Maria losing it.
Apr 29, 2013 7:07 PM

Mar 2011
Maria the Kangaroo is amazing.
May 16, 2013 1:32 PM

Jan 2013
TowardsTheStars said:
Maria the Kangaroo is amazing.
Lol.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 2, 2013 8:08 AM

Apr 2013
I'm glad they found Mamoru.
Aug 2, 2013 3:20 AM

Aug 2008
Oh god, when Mamoru was telling his story about the copycat appearing twice to him, I was on the edge of my seat.....mostly because I was scared lol.
Sep 20, 2013 5:30 PM

Nov 2012
hmm at least they have found mamoru :p
Oct 23, 2013 5:49 PM

Oct 2011
I feel like the most important part of this episode was the fact that it showed Maria is not very strong. She was really letting her emotions get the better of her in this episode, which leads me to think about what Saki said very early on in the show.

While Mamoru is weak, I doubt they'd try to dispose of him just because of that. Maybe they see him as unstable? Sadly I don't see him lasting much longer.
Feb 25, 2014 5:40 PM

Aug 2009
Spirai said:

Finally, a few concerns: why did the copy-cat behind Mamoru disappear when it could have gone for the kill? I don't think terrified-out-of-his-mind Mamoru could have done much in his state, so who did? And what about the trail of blood? And why is Mamoru being disposed of other than the fact he's weak? Is he really that worthless to the society? I don't think he can become any sort of demon or fiend with his lack of talent so the only annoying aspect about his character is how easily he becomes frightened. And lastly, why is a copy-cat called a copy-cat?

sums up my thoughts. I would also like to add that I liked this episode although when searching for Mamoru seemed a bit boring it was also interesting to see how the teens deduced such theories and figured out where he was, they are really intelligent.

Mar 27, 2014 8:01 PM

Jul 2013
It's soo hilarious seeing Maria hopping like a bunny the whole time!! I had some major LOLS from her~ >u<
Apr 28, 2014 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
Saki is in such a shitty position. She knows a hell more than her friends do, but she can't tell them not only for the society security, but also for their own security. She's trapped in a huge dilemma.

From the preview, it look like they'll separate, Maria will accompany Mamoru since she probably feel guilty for what she told him.

I can't figure out why they want so much to kill Mamoru. Like Satoru said, he's not really someone with a personnaluty disorder, they could just brainwashed him again and let him go. Why bother so much and take so many risk. Also, what is this ''tornado'' that saved him? I can't believe that he saved himself, he's way to weak to do something like that.

Also, I really want to know what will happen with the Queerat. Saki stated that it was odd that he was outside the sacred barrier. Was he suppose to follow him? I don't think that the Queerat are bad, it's just that since they are submitted to human, they are forced to do all the dirty job. I wouldn't be surprised if he was only an informator.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.