Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Apr 28, 2013 9:51 AM

Jun 2008
myuun said:
KingCez said:
damnn i was shitting bricks right alongside mamoru. holy fuck. nahh son fuck that shit

why are they killing him? because he remembers stuff? hes useless? :O

I think it's because he is simply one of the weaker ones amongst the group. I think there is more to it though that we still have to find out.

They don't kill people because they are weak. There fear is about Feinds and karma demons, nothing else. If they really do want to dispose of him then maybe is because of unstable personality. The way he panics and such might make him dangerous. His such a scary cat he may start killing everyone in-frond of him thinking everyone wants to hurt him.
But because he is such a scary cat there is a good possibility that his just over-paranoid and bringing trouble for nothing.
Personally i find he character very annoying. To be honest i won't be sad if they make him disappear.

it seems very likely that whatever happens to him will be the start of Maria losing it.
Apr 29, 2013 7:07 PM

Mar 2011
Maria the Kangaroo is amazing.
May 16, 2013 1:32 PM

Jan 2013
TowardsTheStars said:
Maria the Kangaroo is amazing.
Lol.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 2, 2013 8:08 AM

Apr 2013
I'm glad they found Mamoru.
Aug 2, 2013 3:20 AM

Aug 2008
Oh god, when Mamoru was telling his story about the copycat appearing twice to him, I was on the edge of my seat.....mostly because I was scared lol.
Sep 20, 2013 5:30 PM

Nov 2012
hmm at least they have found mamoru :p
Oct 23, 2013 5:49 PM

Oct 2011
I feel like the most important part of this episode was the fact that it showed Maria is not very strong. She was really letting her emotions get the better of her in this episode, which leads me to think about what Saki said very early on in the show.

While Mamoru is weak, I doubt they'd try to dispose of him just because of that. Maybe they see him as unstable? Sadly I don't see him lasting much longer.
Feb 25, 2014 5:40 PM

Aug 2009
Spirai said:

Finally, a few concerns: why did the copy-cat behind Mamoru disappear when it could have gone for the kill? I don't think terrified-out-of-his-mind Mamoru could have done much in his state, so who did? And what about the trail of blood? And why is Mamoru being disposed of other than the fact he's weak? Is he really that worthless to the society? I don't think he can become any sort of demon or fiend with his lack of talent so the only annoying aspect about his character is how easily he becomes frightened. And lastly, why is a copy-cat called a copy-cat?

sums up my thoughts. I would also like to add that I liked this episode although when searching for Mamoru seemed a bit boring it was also interesting to see how the teens deduced such theories and figured out where he was, they are really intelligent.

Mar 27, 2014 8:01 PM

Jul 2013
It's soo hilarious seeing Maria hopping like a bunny the whole time!! I had some major LOLS from her~ >u<
Apr 28, 2014 2:54 PM

Aug 2013
Saki is in such a shitty position. She knows a hell more than her friends do, but she can't tell them not only for the society security, but also for their own security. She's trapped in a huge dilemma.

From the preview, it look like they'll separate, Maria will accompany Mamoru since she probably feel guilty for what she told him.

I can't figure out why they want so much to kill Mamoru. Like Satoru said, he's not really someone with a personnaluty disorder, they could just brainwashed him again and let him go. Why bother so much and take so many risk. Also, what is this ''tornado'' that saved him? I can't believe that he saved himself, he's way to weak to do something like that.

Also, I really want to know what will happen with the Queerat. Saki stated that it was odd that he was outside the sacred barrier. Was he suppose to follow him? I don't think that the Queerat are bad, it's just that since they are submitted to human, they are forced to do all the dirty job. I wouldn't be surprised if he was only an informator.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jun 1, 2014 6:37 AM

Jul 2013
i hope they go to the outer world
i mean.. there is not much left to do..
Jun 27, 2014 3:17 AM

Feb 2014
Nope said:

Because he's weak minded, may become a Karma Demon.
or
He's becoming a liability. They just don't want him snapping and going on a rampage like the kid in the flashback.

But that doesn't explain why they kill everyone who has a weak cantus, unless of course having a weak cantus is a result of being weak minded. It's also possible children with weak cantus become weak minded by losing confidence and becoming depressed, since not having a strong enough cantus makes you useless and is seen as a problem in their society. It's almost like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Why not instead breed out the gene that causes PK powers by ensuring that people with weak cantus out number and eventually replace the ones with strong cantus?
VhailorJun 27, 2014 3:24 AM
Jul 7, 2014 4:00 PM

Jan 2014
I knew Mamoru would pull a stunt like this for precisely that reason. He always seemed to be the weakest link in the group.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 10, 2014 7:33 AM

Jan 2014
Maria jumping... What.
Enjoyable episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2014 3:13 PM

Jan 2014
This series becomes somehow boring lately... Started great, tho. This episode is weakest of all.
Aug 2, 2014 12:16 AM

Feb 2011
more memories coming back
that memory block is so annoying

wonder who saved mamoru by killing the copycat

@minouneetzoe
"Saki is in such a shitty position. She knows a hell more than her friends do, but she can't tell them not only for the society security, but also for their own security. She's trapped in a huge dilemma."

yup, even if given the past she's likely to let the others know, if not she may try to do something about it herself
it's curious the chief said they couldn't give back her memories but instead told her all those other informations, as if remembering a past friend is a threat to the mental health of others and social security in general, but knowing about how the commitee has no qualms in "erasing" people for whatever reason is fine to know

wonder what satoru was doing when he got separed by the group at the start of the search

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Sep 1, 2014 11:09 PM

Jul 2013
Man I love this anime!!!.Every episode just sucks you in further and further with each mystery and thrill.
Oct 1, 2014 5:20 AM

Jan 2014
I don't care about the animation quality so much.
I think it's okay, though. And this episode was not
so exciting but it still keeps me wanting more! ^-^
Oct 27, 2014 12:40 AM

Jun 2014
I don't mind them killing off the 5th wheel. Never liked him since episode 1, i actually thought he was a girl until episode 9 or 10
Nov 1, 2014 8:22 PM

Sep 2014
I loved how Saki and Satoru were PK-skiing in the snow but Maria was just jumping up and down. She should just be able to fly already :)
Dec 26, 2014 3:22 AM
Oct 2014
good to get some development on mamoru, he seemed really unimportant before this episode lol. also maria bouncing along in the snow while saki and satoru skied! that was cute <3
Jan 16, 2015 9:31 PM

Sep 2011
Wow... Thatw as the best episode so far (unpopular opinion)
I was actually sweating a bit with mamoru talkinga bout the Nekodamashi. DAMN, what a terrifying thing.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Mar 1, 2015 3:18 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The animation level dropped again. Otherwise great ep. I think Saki realizes that it's not the extent and mastery of your powers that makes you a target for elimination. It's your emotional stability and his is swiftly going down the drain.

It's interesting that Maria cares for him so much. I wonder if it's a protective 'motherly' instinct or if it really is a romantic attachment.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 6, 2015 7:26 PM

Oct 2013
Well, that was boring
Apr 18, 2015 11:57 PM

Mar 2014
Finally decided to pick this back up after having it on-hold for over half a year. All I can say is that I was not disappointed. Started to remember why I was watching this in the first place. Forgot how underrated the horror aspect of this anime is. Looking forward to the second half.
Zanos1Apr 19, 2015 12:02 AM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Apr 19, 2015 12:06 AM

Jul 2010
StrawberryRain said:
Finally decided to pick this back up after having it on-hold for over half a year. All I can say is that I was not disappointed. Started to remember why I was watching this in the first place. Forgot how underrated the horror aspect of this anime is. Looking forward to the second half.

You wont be disappointed! :)
Apr 23, 2015 11:55 PM

Oct 2013
So, in short, the school system is so paranoid of "ogres" that they weed out every child that is weak-willed or shows even the slightest signs of instability. They're afraid Mamoru could potentially become an ogre, so OFF WITH HIS HEAD.

On that note, that leaves the group in a real bind. They can't return Mamoru to the village, because the village is the place they need to protect him from. I can't actually fathom how they're going to save him.

Pretty interesting, but yeah, slow ass episode. This anime certainly requires a lot of patience.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 22, 2015 8:26 PM
Jan 2013
So in the episode Mamoru was about to be killed by an impure cat, but some tornado thing stopped the cat. It was never explained why he survived.
Jul 2, 2015 1:56 AM
Dec 2011
so they tried to kill mamoru but why? because mamoru and maria saw the cat before sneaking in to the courtyard but that memory is erased this is unnecessary action :3 poor mamoru :3 i hope at least he will be safe he is great guy. mamoru is the 2nd person i love next to my dear shun :3
Sep 26, 2015 12:26 PM

Jan 2013
Shame the animation quality is so weak compared to the first few episodes.
This episode was not that interesting, mostly finding Mamoru and knowing that they're being hunted down (or at leasr for now, Mamoru)

Still looking forward how this is going to go on though, definitely one of the stronger stories I've experienced in anime.
Jan 2, 2016 10:39 AM

Jan 2011
I know they have powers but it looks weird to see people ski uphill.
Feb 25, 2016 7:18 PM

Aug 2014
That snow setting is beautiful.
Good Episode.
Apr 2, 2016 4:48 AM
May 2012
RX-782 said:
Great episode. still wondering if copycats are really after Mamoru or his fear of dying is messing with his Cantus and causing Hallucinations....

Also, Maria was pretty cute in this episode with her facial expressions and bunny hopping.

Awww, that's what I thought, too. Look at her. She looks cute.
Jul 25, 2016 6:34 AM
Feb 2016
invader147 said:
So in the episode Mamoru was about to be killed by an impure cat, but some tornado thing stopped the cat. It was never explained why he survived.

Could it be Shun, who somehow survived, watching over his friends?

Amazing episode with the slowly building tension and the beautiful landscape.
Aug 2, 2016 1:07 AM

Apr 2009
Been put hold again regrettably for 3 years, resuming now... I hope to finally finish/complete it this time.

Mamoru's the weak link, off with his head. LOL Seriously though, what a messed-up society. I'm glad we're still "relatively" normal today. XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 14, 2016 12:48 PM
May 2010
Monad said:
myuun said:

I think it's because he is simply one of the weaker ones amongst the group. I think there is more to it though that we still have to find out.

They don't kill people because they are weak. There fear is about Feinds and karma demons, nothing else. If they really do want to dispose of him then maybe is because of unstable personality. The way he panics and such might make him dangerous. His such a scary cat he may start killing everyone in-frond of him thinking everyone wants to hurt him.
But because he is such a scary cat there is a good possibility that his just over-paranoid and bringing trouble for nothing.
Personally i find he character very annoying. To be honest i won't be sad if they make him disappear.

it seems very likely that whatever happens to him will be the start of Maria losing it.

I think that this is very likely the explanation. It was mentioned earlier how when he was doing something that should be easy, the moment he thought about possibly failing it, he just broke down and was unable to continue or complete it. Even earlier, it's been shown he's been struggling with doing things with his abilities. Most likely those with weak abilities and those whom are unable to keep up, are considered to be a threat because they are weak, their weakness compared to others distorts their personalities, making them try to find other explanations, fall into despair and panic. Perfect conditions perhaps for creating both karma demons and fiends.
Aug 21, 2016 4:34 AM

Mar 2015
1st half was waste of time and 2nd half horror intensifies but not enough for me.

2.6/5
Sep 13, 2016 3:25 PM

Mar 2015
Eh? I find it funny that HanaKana's character hopping through the snow rather than flying. Maybe to conserve the cantus? But still funny.

Anyway, a rather boring episode. A paranoia kid who have no talent reminds me a lot if Saten from Railgun.

Oct 16, 2016 12:49 PM

Sep 2013
They just need to let the cat things take Mamoru....he's whiny and annoying!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 5, 2016 2:03 AM

Jul 2008
Welp, they are slowly killing them one by one and Mamoru is next on the list.
Nov 17, 2016 7:02 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
KingCez said:
damnn i was shitting bricks right alongside mamoru. holy fuck. nahh son fuck that shit

why are they killing him? because he remembers stuff? hes useless? :O

It was soo freaking creepy, so that is how being tailled by a tainted cat feels like, the shadows coming closer and engulfing the surroundings, those sound effects...

As for Mamoru, he is the weakest character in the anime for me, show didnt developed him much, and I want Maria x Saki, so if it needs to, be he can die for all I care. Dont want to see that yuri ruined!
Dec 28, 2016 12:45 AM

Jul 2015
Watching this episode at 4am? Yeah, actually felt legitimately creepy
Jun 17, 2017 10:20 AM
Nov 2015
The snow forest, with all the weird bends of trees
Jun 17, 2017 10:32 AM
Nov 2015
Hey, these teens are damn so intelligent. Their analytical ability is godly.
Nice to see an anime interested in portraying real school life. From the first episode we have seen them really putting effort into their study. And now, after years of school, their Canta ability has improved a lot. their brains too.
Jun 20, 2017 8:48 PM

Sep 2014
Rosebud aka Villagers be EFFin CRAZY! or Oh Mamoru, where are thou? Ep 13.

Plot: The group goes searching for Mamoru. A few false calls finally bear fruit where they find him being nursed by a Monster Rat. And hey, its Squnk aka that Rat from ep 2. Nice.

Oh and apparently the Committee were going to kill Mamoru so he booked it.

Character: I applaud Mamoru. Kid GTFO'd so fast nobody noticed. Kids got good survival instincts despite being a wimp.

Animation/music: Hopping Maria is hopping and hilarious.

4/5. It's about to get real yo!

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jun 30, 2017 6:47 PM

Nov 2016
Another awesome episode with atmosphere that gave me chills.

Mamoru is the next target, I wonder how they will solve this problem, since they can't just go back with him.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 4, 2017 4:10 PM

Jul 2009
I never really liked Mamoru, but this episode did a good job of building up the suspense, especially in the latter half when Mamoru was talking about the copycat following him. I guess after that you definitely want to get the hell out of the village lol. So they memory wiped him and Maria about the time that they saw the release of the cats for Shun ... seems as though they knew they were there all along? Either way the first half was kind of weird to watch, like they didn't try any animation at all >_< I guess from what we learned last episode about the queerats and disposing of kids who could turn into Fiends or Demons makes it seem pretty obvious why they wanted to get rid of Mamoru ... :S Hm, next episode preview, I wonder if maybe Maria will stay with Mamoru and hide out with him while convincing the other two to return? :O
EDIT: Oh yeah I wanted to say how Mamoru escaped the second time?! What interfered with that twister thing and sucked the cat away? O_o
EvianBubbleOct 4, 2017 4:22 PM
Feb 12, 2018 8:39 PM

Aug 2017
A Ok episode. Not much happened except that the Committee wants Mamoru dead. 3/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 9, 2018 6:48 PM

Jan 2018
If Mamoru dies, well that's on him. Usually cowardly characters die pretty brutally.

Sep 5, 2018 9:15 AM

Apr 2015
I actually thought of SSY as a fairly pretty show visually so far.
Ha ha ha.

Second half masked the quality drop ok though.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.