Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Dec 10 - 16

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 18, 2012 12:33 PM

Nov 2008
i need to watch berserk 2nd movie and detective conan 16th movie
Dec 18, 2012 2:06 PM
Feb 2012
The calm before the storm.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Dec 18, 2012 2:42 PM

Dec 2007
I'm glad K ranked for a 2nd week :D and yes next week will be torture :P
Dec 18, 2012 2:50 PM

Feb 2010
Ghibli movies always take the slow weeks it seems.
And Sengoku Collection does better than I expected with this being a slow week.

But yeah, stuff is gonna get interesting next week.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 18, 2012 4:21 PM

Oct 2007
jmal said:
It remains to be seen whether some people complaining on 2ch actually amounts to anything, though. While it hasn't shot up the way I would have liked for release week, it's still beating everything from Fall except GirlPan (and Gintama if you do cumulative points). The only anime that have been ahead of it consistently the past week or two are Nekomogatari, GirlPan, Ookami Kodomo, and the KuroBas fandisc - all totally expected. Jojo was ahead of it for a few hours here and there on the strength of a strong episode I assume, but now it and Darkness and Chuunibyou are running pretty close together. And Chuunibyou is still dominating HMV.

The long term ranking history also continues to show consistency so I'm not yet convinced this is a big deal. Looks like DVD+BD combined Stalker points just passed 10k in the last day or so too.
Yes, it's above the rest but it hasn't moved up by much. I expected bigger jump after revolutionary episode 11 but we got mere 38-45 -> 34 and even that lasted just few hours and fell to 35-49. Recent bump due to release date got it to 30 max too. I can only hope final episode will change the feelings of Japanese otaku and make them buy the show. symbv dealt a rather crushing blow... #2 (and it's definitely not sure either) of the season sounds pretty nice but I'd like higher sales than those predicted. Do you have any estimation on how big HMV is compared to amazon when it comes to anime sales?
Dec 19, 2012 4:09 AM

Sep 2012
One thing I want to add is that Chuunibyou will definitely sell well in absolute numbers - meaning 10k or more, the line of a major hit. Whatever complaints there are for ep.11 are not going to cause a collapse of support or sales. However, it is also true that since the anime took a sharp turn to a serious drama mode, the momentum of the anime has stalled and the camp of detractors has grown with time (and I want to stress that it does not only have to do with the turn to seriousness). Yet it is not an "Air Anime", which unfortunately is the fate inflicting its predecessor Nichijou (despite the KyoAni brand and its magic of cool sakuga and moe trickery). It is clear that the anime still retains enough elements to keep a sizable of fans fascinated - amazing sakuga, mesmerizing music, very endearing characters like Molly Summer, Rikka and Kumin. So the question may be more like 1) Could it have done even better in sales? (and the conventional wisdom seems that it could have) 2) Are we going to see a sharper drop of sales for the later volumes? Possible but a lot can still depend on how the series end. The director mentioned earlier in interview that the ending is "the most beautiful I have directed" and since the director (Ishihara) directed anime like Haruhi, Air, both Clannad and Kanon, a lot of fans place high hopes on an ending that is so awesome that it will change the opinion of this series for many people.
symbvDec 19, 2012 4:13 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 19, 2012 5:44 AM

Sep 2012
jmal said:
I'd settle for "everything KyoAni must be a solid seller" maybe, i.e. I would agree that anything below 5 or 6k might be disappointing with their frame count and brand recognition.
Well, after the Nichijou fiasco, I would not even say that. As you said, there has been slight progress on the expectation game after Nichijou. Yet, it is also true that people still expect really high sales for KyoAni anime -- just take a look at the guesses made for the coming KyoAni series in Winter season: almost nobody is predicting anything less than 9k, and it is an original anime.

Yet the point I tried to make is slightly different. The thinking that Chuunibyou could have done even better in sales is based on what if the perception stayed mostly favorable in the later part of the series as it did in the early episodes. So it is not like it is only because of KyoAni that people are saying it and "nobody would have assumed so if a different studio were doing it". The thinking can show up for any anime done by any studio if it seems to hold promise of good popularity at early episodes but get stalled in later episodes (we can even say this to anime like Little Busters!). The only difference is that for KyoAni the line is set a bit higher. I still remember when we were a few episodes into the series, it was widely predicted that the final stalker BD points would be >10000 and few thought such view was unreasonable or skewed, but now the final stalker BD points are stuck at just a bit above 8500. So I can see why a lot of people think that the series could have done better in terms of sales compared to the expectation at the early stage of the series.
symbvDec 19, 2012 6:01 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 19, 2012 9:40 AM

Sep 2009
Oh otakus, you disappoint me most of the time...
Dec 19, 2012 12:25 PM

Apr 2010
I gotta say I'm hoping that Episode 11 hurts the Chuunibyou sales. I absolutely loved the series before that, my favorite of the season... and then they had to make one of the worst attempts at forced drama ever, and go against everything that was good in the series. It fell out of my top 3 after that episode and I'm a bit spiteful about it. I cancelled my preorder (I was only gonna get that and GuP) and changed it to Little Busters afterwards.

To me, if it sells well after that joke of an episode, it'll just tell KyoAni its okay to make stuff like that. I absolutely don't want them to do another like it in the future.
RyanSaotomeDec 19, 2012 12:29 PM

Dec 19, 2012 1:14 PM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
In any case it's rising after the final episode, with Vol. 1 now up to 28th from ~40 before airing, and most of the volumes are back in the top 100 too, so yay.
Not surprising given the incredibly positive reaction the final episode got. I've seen "Godly episode" on a couple of blogs.

What I'm curious about is the delays HMV is having in shipping out some orders. I've seen a few people complain that an order is stuck in the equivalent of "shipping soon" for days (the Nichijou DVD-Box took 5 days for me last week and my copy of BD v1 is still in it since Monday afternoon EST). They won't charge anyone until it ships, so we might see consistency in daily sales due to that if they won't count it as a sale until it's charged.
Dec 20, 2012 1:37 AM

Oct 2007
symbv said:
The director mentioned earlier in interview that the ending is "the most beautiful I have directed" and since the director (Ishihara) directed anime like Haruhi, Air, both Clannad and Kanon, a lot of fans place high hopes on an ending that is so awesome that it will change the opinion of this series for many people.
Now I wonder if I should watch Air, Clannad and Kanon because Chuuni 12 didn't impress me.
Dec 20, 2012 2:13 AM
Sep 2012
Progeusz said:
Now I wonder if I should watch Air, Clannad and Kanon because Chuuni 12 didn't impress me.

Chuuni is not a Key novel so you are in for a treat if you plan to watch them. Chuuni is just a tiny little sand grain compared to those three. Kyoani's story department still has a lot to learn.
Dec 20, 2012 2:57 AM

Oct 2007
bippo said:
Chuuni is not a Key novel so you are in for a treat if you plan to watch them. Chuuni is just a tiny little sand grain compared to those three. Kyoani's story department still has a lot to learn.
Yeah, you're right, I loved Angel Beats! ending, other Key series should be great as well, not to mention I've already downloaded Clannad. I just shouldn't trust Ishihara's tastes. Kaiji takes priority in the backlog though.
Dec 20, 2012 9:13 AM
Sep 2012
Daily numbers was up. Should be all up by the end of the week.

BD
chuuni at 7th
yuru yuri at 13th

DVD
gintama at 2nd

source: 2ch

Two days later we'll see the other numbers from other series. Hope 2ch posts it also.
Dec 20, 2012 5:23 PM

Apr 2010
What do you guys expect will be the big sellers of Winter season?

Dec 20, 2012 5:33 PM

Apr 2009
RyanSaotome said:
What do you guys expect will be the big sellers of Winter season?

Vividred, Sasami or Tamako.

Something will come and surprise me though. I was thinking it might by Yama no Susume, but apparently that is going to be a 5 minute episode series.

Maoyuu will be big with western fans, but I don't think it will do amazingly in Japan.
Dec 20, 2012 10:14 PM
Sep 2012
In other news, GnP has been crushing down everything but the boybands in video rankings. I guess anime of the season can be safely handed to them now?
Dec 20, 2012 10:48 PM

Apr 2009
The Girls und Panzer first BD volume is sold out everywhere in Akiba.

I guess it's strong as a retail series as well as an amazon one.

Dec 20, 2012 10:57 PM

Nov 2007
6月  7月  8月  9月 10月 11月 12月   年間
--位 --位 --位 --位 *1位 *7位 33位 ‐ .| 10位 | ガンダムUC 6初回
--位 34位 11位 *6位 20位 ‐‐位 ‐‐位 ‐ .| 41位 | SAO 1       30,7**
--位 --位 --位 --位 --位 --位 *1位 ‐ .| 50位 | 猫黒 1
--位 --位 --位 --位 --位 --位 *2位 ‐ .| 52位 | 猫黒 2
--位 --位 *9位 21位 27位 21位 ‐‐位 ‐ .| 58位 | SAO 2       28,4**
--位 --位 --位 --位 98位 11位 *8位 ‐ .| 60位 | ガルパン 1
--位 --位 --位 19位 26位 30位 21位 ‐ .| 64位 | 黒子FD
26位 10位 32位 24位 --位 --位 ‐‐位 ‐ .| 71位 | ホラ2期 1     22,5**
--位 --位 47位 14位 49位 50位 37位▽ | 72位 | SAO 3
47位 24位 81位 68位 79位 55位 ‐‐位 ‐ .| 78位 | ホラ2期 3     20,5**
--位 --位 --位 *4位 41位 100位 ‐‐位 ‐ .| 80位 | アキト 1
45位 16位 60位 44位 50位 --位 ‐‐位 ‐ .| 83位 | ホラ2期 2     20,6**
49位 26位 --位 --位 --位 --位 65位▽ | 98位 | ホラ2期 4
(12/12/21)

I'd most likely guess 25k atm since it's under SAO v2 and also to account for the Oricon total also including the sales from storefronts for SAO. Unless SAO had low storefront sales... then 30k for GaruPan might be possible.

Isn't GaruPan v1 currently supply constrained on Amazon JP?
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Dec 21, 2012 12:11 AM
Sep 2012
^ But that chart was from the midday charts. It could be 30k by now. Damn man...
Dec 21, 2012 7:00 AM
Sep 2012
^ Oh. Thanks for the clarification. I don't really follow yearly charts at amazon.

Anyway GnP vol.3 is also climbing. And that Kuroko fandisc has been there in the first page of the bestsellers for a looong time. People must be getting their bonuses or something this friday.
Dec 21, 2012 7:59 PM

Oct 2007
bippo said:
In other news, GnP has been crushing down everything but the boybands in video rankings. I guess anime of the season can be safely handed to them now?

in terms of sales maybe.
Dec 21, 2012 8:07 PM

Apr 2010
Kaioshin_Sama said:
bippo said:

in terms of sales maybe.

And quality, as well.

Dec 22, 2012 3:13 AM

Apr 2009
Girls und Panzer is now at the top of Oricon. It was 6th yesterday.
Dec 22, 2012 3:49 AM
Sep 2012
^ But so was Horizon yesterday. Cowboy Bepop BOX is still consistent at #2 today. And that Kuroko fandisc is still topping the DVD charts. Tough to say who will win this week. GnP fans are just celebrating loudly. Kuroko fujoshi are just calm as ever. Although GnP's competitors are on different seasons and categories.
Dec 22, 2012 3:54 AM

Apr 2009
True, but this is the ranking for Garupan's release day. The time it rated 6th was the ranking for the day before hand.

Not to mention that the strength of its sales in brick and mortar sales is so strong that it's more or less sold out everywhere in Akiba (though that could well be a case of underproduction on Bandai's part).

However, call me optimistic but with these numbers I don't see anything else touching it this week. And even if the sales this week aren't world beating, once the production gets going I don't think there'll be any question about the most successful show this season.
Dec 22, 2012 4:00 AM
Sep 2012
^ If you're talking about the autumn season GnP definitely is the AOTS. No doubt about that. But if we are talking numbers it is neck to neck with Kuroko fandisc. I don't even want to talk about the underproduction haha that was just too awesome. Even SAO can't do that.
Dec 23, 2012 8:06 AM

Apr 2010
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-13579.html

They've restocked major stores with GirlPan BDs, which is good news... but Amazon orders have been pushed back to February if you order now. We might not even get the full numbers in the months report.

Dec 24, 2012 2:19 AM
Sep 2012
Daily rankings are up on 2ch. Looks like GnP didn't live up to the sold-out hype after all. Chuuni is suddenly winning the battle for autumn 2013

BD
8 マダカスカル
9 ホラ
15 中二
17 メリだ
18 黒子
19 トラブル
20 ガルパン

DVD
9 ルヒー
10 ルヒー
20 ポケモン
21 黒子
25 トイストーリー
28 トトロ
Dec 24, 2012 2:24 AM

Apr 2009
Garupan completely ran out of stock on day 1, I'm surprised it's even on Oricon anymore.
Dec 24, 2012 2:39 AM
Sep 2012
^ It should be up by tomorrow. Underproduction should be solved by now.
bippoDec 24, 2012 2:48 AM
Dec 24, 2012 7:40 AM

Apr 2010
bippo said:
^ It should be up by tomorrow. Underproduction should be solved by now.

Yeah, no. It was sold out everywhere day 1 and Amazon isn't even getting in new copies until February. They just had no idea the kind of sales it would have when they were originally producing the discs.

Plus, I'm still pretty confident it'll move at least 10k first week, regardless of whatever numbers those are. The fact its outdoing Psycho Pass and nearly outdoing To Love Ru Darkness even without Amazon and no BDs in stores outside of the Tokyo area for the daily rankings just goes to show how much of a monster it is.
RyanSaotomeDec 24, 2012 7:57 AM

Dec 24, 2012 9:37 AM
May 2009
Guessing Btooom isnt selling that well. Sighs I really wanted a second season.
Dec 24, 2012 12:52 PM

Dec 2011
If this article covers the same thing, 2012 ended on 9th December, so it would all be counted in 2013 sales.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Dec 24, 2012 12:58 PM

Sep 2012
Lil_Wayne said:
Guessing Btooom isnt selling that well. Sighs I really wanted a second season.

Did you buy a copy yourself? Buy the manga? I did... though not enough others did, for the BDs at least... too bad as you say. Hard to expect them to keep making the show if it doesn't sell. I would love a second season but it isn't looking likely unless volume 10 of the manga sells like hotcakes next month and they decide that the show bumping the manga sales is enough of a reason to continue. Doubtful...

BTOOOM! by hpulley, on Flickr

btoom by hpulley, on Flickr

BTOOOM! Blu Ray 2nd disc is on its way. I would have it already if I'd included it with Girls Und Panzer 1 (see below) but stupidly I put it in another order that doesn't ship until Friday, hopefully here Moday if I'm lucky... Wednesday if I'm not.
hpulleyDec 24, 2012 1:20 PM
Dec 24, 2012 1:00 PM

Sep 2012
Got my copy! Girls Und Panzer 1 Blu Ray! OMG, the opening action sequence of the first episode looks sooooo good in Blu Ray, the pans are just perfect. So gorgeous! And the box is great, now just begging to be filled with the remaining volumes, all pre ordered of course. And the extras are great, such fun. Almost seemed a shame to tear the plastic off but I of course did so right away.

The Water War OVA is a ton of fun. There are also audio drama character introductions for the five main characters. They use the stereo separation really well to match the pictured characters along with the main ones. Will need to listen to the .5 episodes to check if that is where they got the introduction dialogue from, probably...

Girls Und Panzer unboxed 1 by hpulley, on Flickr
Dec 24, 2012 2:27 PM

Apr 2010
jmal said:
kuuderes_shadow said:
If this article covers the same thing, 2012 ended on 9th December, so it would all be counted in 2013 sales.

Oh right of course it'll be for 2013, I even posted some 2012 yearly data elsewhere already so it can't have included this week. That's very good timing for GirlPan then, assuming it can sell enough to make the Top 100 or whatever Oricon eventually publishes for BD. All we have so far is a Top 50.

Its always possible it might reach the thresholds in mid January when the new Amazon shipments come in too, since I doubt many BDs will be selling then. Maybe even in February.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
2 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.