Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 20, 2013 1:45 PM
Jun 2012
If LCL stops your ageing you'd think all of the main people would have been swimming in LCL to prolong their lives. *shrug*

I have a set of screen-shots from the cam that show things that confused me. A lot of it is from when Shinji see's what happened outside Nerv.

BTW my spellcheck seems to have messed up a bunch of the words it was suppose to fix. I read through the post and I think I corrected everything but if theres anything that I missed and you can't make out what I'm saying please say so in a post.

Thanks!

OK, theres my huge post of 3rd movie images + questions/comments I have about the 3rd movie. I'm hoping that someone here can clear up some of my confusion about what exactly I'm seeing in these images.

Thanks!
Darkmatterx76Jan 20, 2013 1:48 PM
Jan 20, 2013 6:57 PM

May 2012
Don't know if this was answered or not, I am lazy and didn't feel like reading all the pages.

So how come the pilots didn't look like they aged after the 14 year time skip? I can understand Shinji, Rei and Kaworu.... (well I guess that only leaves Asuka and Mari). Did they also have to reconstruct Asuka and that's why she looks the same? I was just confused on that part.
Jan 20, 2013 8:15 PM
Jun 2012
It seems that exposure to LCL halts the ageing process.

keero16 said:
Don't know if this was answered or not, I am lazy and didn't feel like reading all the pages.

So how come the pilots didn't look like they aged after the 14 year time skip? I can understand Shinji, Rei and Kaworu.... (well I guess that only leaves Asuka and Mari). Did they also have to reconstruct Asuka and that's why she looks the same? I was just confused on that part.
Jan 21, 2013 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
Why Anno, WHY?
Jan 21, 2013 2:37 AM

Nov 2012
Still cringing.
Jan 21, 2013 1:40 PM
Oct 2010
Addtionally is Asuka still contaminated by that angel? If you notice when she went beast mode her other eye was blue while the one of the left (from our POV) was green.
Jan 21, 2013 1:47 PM
Jun 2012
We don't know yet, but thats my guess. She's got angel eyes er, eye.
Jan 21, 2013 2:03 PM
Oct 2010
Darkmatterx76 said:
How is 01 acting as a power core/anti-grav unit for Wunder when Eva's normally can't even move without a battery or a power cord?

BTW I can answer this for you. In EVA 2.0 unit 01 absorbed Zeruel and Rei, in doing so it gained Zeruel's S2 engine (which provides unlimited energy), this they were able to use it to power the ship.
Jan 21, 2013 6:32 PM
Oct 2010
Also does anyone know wtf this is?

Jan 22, 2013 6:55 AM
Feb 2012
EVA 5.0 preview.
Jan 22, 2013 2:25 PM

Dec 2008
It's Anno's sense of humor.

The 14 years time skip isn't only to show that LCL overexposure = fountain of youth, but also so they don't have to explain/show how the new gadgets are built. Instead we get to see them in action, was already pretty amazing even with the LQ camrip.
It is surprising as to why the adults didn't start shooting up on LCL to stay young though, seeing as how being young is something a lot of people usually want. They couldn't control evas since the days of NGE so maybe that's related to LCL more importantly than I rememberedl, would make sense in eva's standards.
HakoriaJan 22, 2013 2:29 PM
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jan 22, 2013 5:09 PM

Apr 2012
Hakoria said:
The 14 years time skip isn't only to show that LCL overexposure = fountain of youth, but also so they don't have to explain/show how the new gadgets are built.

Well that's just not true. In any sci-fi series, you're always allowed to toss in random gadgets should the occasion ever arise. E.g. that super calibre sniper rifle thing that they just happened to use to destroy one of the angels. I wouldn't even be surprised if such a trope has an official name, though I guess it would more generally fall under 'contrived plot devices' or 'deus ex machina'.

Also, the LCL as a fountain of youth talk is a bit.. absurd. They're all in a constant state of war and depression, trying to live to the next day and, well, stop the next apocalypse. Dying from old age is the least of their worries. And besides, it's a psychological thing as indicated by them calling it a "curse [of Eva]" rather than a "blessing". I also don't think Evangelion was at all referencing some eternal youth theme here; if anything, it's likely a physical representation of some mental inertness and underdevelopment.
Jan 22, 2013 7:12 PM

Dec 2008
By that I meant I would have loved to see more from right after the near-Third Impact which includes the ship. You're right as it's sci-fi not everything needs to be explained. Kind of just fits with the main reason why I can't fully judge 3.0 yet since a lot can be explained in FINAL, just like how parts of Muv-Luv Unlimited's plot seemed skipped but everything was developed in ML: Alternative (in any good plot-oriented shows this is the case, but ML's the most recent big case I remember clearly as the length made the wait quite long, just like how we might end up waiting 'till 2015).
As a stand-alone there's just too much hypothesizing required by the watcher if he/she wants to understand more, which explains why most ended up wtf-ing so much compared to 1.0/2.0, including with the ship. Personally I like this if they conclude it correctly, but seeing this is Anno I'm expecting a lot of surprises. At least the ost/visuals/sceneries and the ending are by far better (imo) than in 1.0/2.0.

LCL referred as fountain of youth was partly a joke, but I didn't take into consideration that they're at war. Agreed with this concerning mental underdevelopment as Anno always employed psychology as a major theme for his characters.
Aside from that, I bet Asuka must also hate it due to her cup-size complex :]
HakoriaJan 22, 2013 7:24 PM
Jan 22, 2013 9:00 PM

Apr 2012
Well, I also have my doubts about any implications on the stunted growth. It seems more like a cheap fanservice tactic than anything meaningful, and even at first glance this seems right on the money. I mean, how could having a non-aging pirate Asuka possibly mean anything deep here? While I suggested "if anything, it's likely a physical representation of some mental inertness and underdevelopment", there's several (correct) counterarguments against this assertion.

For one, if this was the case, it would make more sense if nobody grew physically in the 14 years, especially non-affected main characters like Misato, as it doesn't seem like anybody really developed over the time lapse. Moreover, the Eva pilots aren't the only ones who go through such regressing psychoanalytic stages, and Misato's Electra complex and Ritsuko's mommy issues are primary examples of this (though Ritsuko's characterization is more or less subdued in Rebuild). So if my assertion is correct, then why didn't they stay forever young? Tie into the fact that 14+year Misato looks more or less the same (if this wasn't obvious fanservice enough) and I'll just safely conclude that the "curse of Eva" is nothing more than cheap fanservice pretending to be more than it actually is.
Jan 22, 2013 10:06 PM

Sep 2010
Nowhere in the movie says that LCL causes this (a foolish assumption because everyone in the cast would dip themselves in LCL pools). It's the "curse of Eva." If you guys re-watch 2.22, you'll realize all pilots have lost their humanity.

Going into beast mode was meant to abandon it, cast it away for an inverted beast like state. Mari knew the dangers (and Asuka also does this in 3.0). Shinji's been 'awakening' and 'transcending' his human state since 1.11, judging by Kaworu's words after he stirs. It's probably connected to their synchronization with Evangelion in special states.
Jan 23, 2013 12:20 AM

Apr 2012
Thess said:
Nowhere in the movie says that LCL causes this (a foolish assumption because everyone in the cast would dip themselves in LCL pools). It's the "curse of Eva." If you guys re-watch 2.22, you'll realize all pilots have lost their humanity.

Going into beast mode was meant to abandon it, cast it away for an inverted beast like state. Mari knew the dangers (and Asuka also does this in 3.0). Shinji's been 'awakening' and 'transcending' his human state since 1.11, judging by Kaworu's words after he stirs. It's probably connected to their synchronization with Evangelion in special states.

It's never explicitly stated what causes it. I don't think it's something as literal as hitting the beast button on the Eva, where "losing one's humanity" equivocates to "losing one's ability to age". Aside from the weak equivocation argument already, you're pulling a lot of straws here in assuming that 1. just because Asuka does it in 3.0 means she somehow did it 14 years ago, and that 2. Shinji awakening Unit-01 somehow causes the same effect. And shouldn't that also make the Beast Mode permanent then? Too many more unanswered questions.

I think it more abstractly has to do with piloting the Eva and immersing oneself with that LCL, hence immersing part of one's soul into the Eva's being. It's similar to how some humans became the manifests for the Evas' existence (e.g. Yui, Asuka's mom, etc.). In a sense, they're all still alive but without physical bodies; hence, it may not too be far off from guessing that physical bodies piloting such weird beings have lost a part of their connection to the corresponding soul. This is just my hypothesis for the "curse of Eva" nonsense anyways, but any explanation seems so contrived that I think it's appropriate to just call it "some technobabble LCL over-dosage". ;)

Not sure why it really matters though, as there are much bigger concerns with the whole "curse of Eva" thing (for example, why it was even introduced in the first place!).
Jan 23, 2013 7:52 AM

Sep 2010
Losing one's humanity is losing one's humanity. It's been a theme addressed for a while (with the implication that evolution now means becoming something other than LCL: for example those red Eva beings). Asuka clearly had used it in the past, she also lost her humanity in the Bardiel incident (don't forget this one and how her eye shines blue).

Shinji's not completely human, I don't know why people assume he is. When he awakes in the Wunder, he's regarded as a specimen. Doesn't he morphs into Kaworu briefly during the piano scene too? There you go - Not human.

Mari has go past the limits on screen too. There's no reason to assume she's human anymore. Re-watch and you see the warning the effect is permanent.

Unlike NGE, Rebuild seems exploring less introspective babble and more actual mutations of this "pollution."

It cannot be LCL (at least not exclusively), because (if I remember correctly from complete records) Asuka has been training since she was a child. She would have been a loli forever if the exposure was the reason of the youth. Furthermore, it's a foolish move from the cast to not preserve their youth to keep fighting by bathing in it. It's the curse of Eva (and Eva grants wishes and has an upgrade in Rebuild). LCL is only part of the system. I know what you're coming from, but seems unlikely with Rebuild's centering on Adam-evolution (Lilith got eaten and all).
ThessJan 23, 2013 8:07 AM
Jan 23, 2013 11:37 AM

Apr 2012
Thess said:
Losing one's humanity is losing one's humanity. It's been a theme addressed for a while (with the implication that evolution now means becoming something other than LCL: for example those red Eva beings). Asuka clearly had used it in the past, she also lost her humanity in the Bardiel incident (don't forget this one and how her eye shines blue).

Asuka was in the hospital after the angel attack in 2.0. There shouldn't be any point in which she would have used Beast Mode unless it was after she got out of the hospital. Assuming that such a thing would have happened perhaps somewhere inbetween 2.0 and 3.0 and such that it's before she ages noticeably is a bit of straw pulling. Sure, her eye shining and that whole pirate thing likely has to do with a part of the invaded angel still being in her, but I don't see how that has anything to do with your "she activated beast mode" theory. It all sounds too far-fetched, and as I've said, that just leads to more unanswered questions and feels like a more hasty conclusion than one strongly wrapped up, e.g., where's their angel powers, why can they still pilot the Eva without Beast mode, etc. etc.?

Thess said:
Shinji's not completely human, I don't know why people assume he is. When he awakes in the Wunder, he's regarded as a specimen. Doesn't he morphs into Kaworu briefly during the piano scene too? There you go - Not human.

Don't recall any morphing.. Regarded as a specimen because they all hated him doesn't really mean that either. In any case, it's similar to NGE's Shinji coming back from losing his body in the Eva, and I'm not so sure that they suddenly decided to add that this time, Shinji is no longer human. It sounds like a major plot twist, and I'm not so sure 4.0 would take enough time to develop such a thing (they have much bigger questions to answer). Not to mention the fact that Shinji is supposed to the poster child of Lilin civilization, and Kaworu's love for Shinji is supposed to indicate a love for Lilin/Lilin culture. Saying that Shinji's not a human completely tosses away a well-founded layer of analysis regarding Kaworu and Shinji's relationship, and I don't see why Anno would throw it away for no gain whatsoever.

Thess said:
It cannot be LCL (at least not exclusively), because (if I remember correctly from complete records) Asuka has been training since she was a child. She would have been a loli forever if the exposure was the reason of the youth. Furthermore, it's a foolish move from the cast to not preserve their youth to keep fighting by bathing in it. It's the curse of Eva (and Eva grants wishes and has an upgrade in Rebuild). LCL is only part of the system. I know what you're coming from, but seems unlikely with Rebuild's centering on Adam-evolution (Lilith got eaten and all).

I never said that you simply need to dip yourself into LCL to be forever youthful or something. I'm not sure if you really do get the theory. But anyways, it seems fine enough if you also consider the Instrumentality goal of NGE in the first place. Logistically speaking, there's just no way 4.0 would spend a good deal of time answering this question as there are far bigger problems to deal with, and so it only makes sense that the answer lies in the metaphysical abstract realm, not something so tangible like activating a silly mode in the Eva.
Jan 23, 2013 12:23 PM
Oct 2010
Reading through you guys post, I have observed that Thess may not actually be very far off base. The difference more specifically isn't the "beast mode" itself, but the mere fact that all 3 pilots went beyond the safe plug depth (Rei of course gets rebuilt constantly so I'll just ignore her for now).

Shinji does it to save rei
Asuka is pushed by the Angel
Mari does it willingly when going into the beast mode.

Could this possibly be it?
Jan 23, 2013 1:32 PM

Apr 2012
skudoops said:
Reading through you guys post, I have observed that Thess may not actually be very far off base. The difference more specifically isn't the "beast mode" itself, but the mere fact that all 3 pilots went beyond the safe plug depth (Rei of course gets rebuilt constantly so I'll just ignore her for now).

Shinji does it to save rei
Asuka is pushed by the Angel
Mari does it willingly when going into the beast mode.

Could this possibly be it?

Possibly. I have no qualms with that theory other than a logistic one, i.e., it's very specific and kind of difficult to reveal should Anno ever decide to do so in 4.0. But that could more or less be it too.
Jan 23, 2013 3:49 PM

Sep 2010
nil- said:
Asuka was in the hospital after the angel attack in 2.0. There shouldn't be any point in which she would have used Beast Mode unless it was after she got out of the hospital.

There were 14 years in between. It's obviously not the first time she used beast mode because she looked like a veteran.

nil- said:
Sure, her eye shining and that whole pirate thing likely has to do with a part of the invaded angel still being in her, but I don't see how that has anything to do with your "she activated beast mode" theory. It all sounds too far-fetched, and as I've said, that just leads to more unanswered questions and feels like a more hasty conclusion than one strongly wrapped up, e.g., where's their angel powers, why can they still pilot the Eva without Beast mode, etc. etc.?

Or both. Beast mode and all the special Eva modes they activated affect humanity: the risks are always warned beforehand. The key theme of evolution (or devolution and inversion in Beast Mode in exchange of raw strength). Something changed in the children.

nil- said:
Don't recall any morphing.. Regarded as a specimen because they all hated him doesn't really mean that either. In any case, it's similar to NGE's Shinji coming back from losing his body in the Eva, and I'm not so sure that they suddenly decided to add that this time, Shinji is no longer human. It sounds like a major plot twist, and I'm not so sure 4.0 would take enough time to develop such a thing (they have much bigger questions to answer). Not to mention the fact that Shinji is supposed to the poster child of Lilin civilization, and Kaworu's love for Shinji is supposed to indicate a love for Lilin/Lilin culture. Saying that Shinji's not a human completely tosses away a well-founded layer of analysis regarding Kaworu and Shinji's relationship, and I don't see why Anno would throw it away for no gain whatsoever.

Re-watch the scene Shinji's playing piano alone on his room, his arms become pale as Kaworu's. Not to mention he acquired his traits: red eyes, parlor when he tried to rescue Rei and awakened the Eva as result. In the Kaworu book published by Khara, these physical traits indicate people who are like Kaworu. Yeah... what a coincidence we got this published along with 2.0.

Kaworu never told Shinji was a lilin this time...if I recall this right. Keep in mind he's been during many past lives he remembers, he loves Shinji because he's Shinji. He still loves the lilin (he did want to be the hope of the liliin with Shinji, right?), but he sees Shinji as an individual who has more value. His 1.11 appearance? He stirs because he senses Shinji's first 'awakening' stages. Isn't that freaking weird? Isn't it weird too that Kaworu treats him as his equal and needs him as such?

Akira Ishida in his movie interview said that Anno told him "who" Kaworu and Shinji were in Rebuild when they started with the films but he played coy and refused to reveal the core of the "mystery" yet when the interview pressed for spoilers.

Shinji is called specimen and has a "Shinji I????" on his foot when he awoke in the Wunder. With the theme of change Kaworu was trying to teach Shinji. How he awoke his Eva exactly in the way ANGELS do when they take on an unit... I have no clue who Shinji is supposed to be anymore.

Unfortunately, he seems to have shoved Rei to the side in her role. Ugh. I'm upset over this, by the way. I hated how Shinji took out something from Rei (being Kaworu's equal).

nil- said:
I never said that you simply need to dip yourself into LCL to be forever youthful or something. I'm not sure if you really do get the theory. But anyways, it seems fine enough if you also consider the Instrumentality goal of NGE in the first place. Logistically speaking, there's just no way 4.0 would spend a good deal of time answering this question as there are far bigger problems to deal with, and so it only makes sense that the answer lies in the metaphysical abstract realm, not something so tangible like activating a silly mode in the Eva.

NGE Instrumentality was all about painful feelings and longing to be complete with a therapy with Rei and Kaworu, this is shoved aside in Rebuild for more actual facts of the world change, evolution and extinction. It's more scifi as they promised.
ThessJan 23, 2013 3:55 PM
Jan 23, 2013 5:10 PM

Apr 2012
I give up on arguing since it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere nor do I actually think what causes the aging is anything more important than, say, why it was introduced in the first place. However, I will point out that I also think you're wrong in arguing that Rebuild is more sci-fi/tangible in its objectives than NGE is. If this was true, then they wouldn't have spent an entire film focusing on Shinji's angst and ultimately have no one progress in the entire film (!). Rebuild has received a lot of criticism, but I don't think this type of perspective is justified.
Jan 23, 2013 6:57 PM

Sep 2010
nil- said:
If this was true, then they wouldn't have spent an entire film focusing on Shinji's angst and ultimately have no one progress in the entire film (!). Rebuild has received a lot of criticism, but I don't think this type of perspective is justified.

All the angst was externalized in comparison to NGE: effects in the environment emphasis, new lifeforces birthed by Shinji's power, the spears, the triggers (Shinji and Kaworu), among other things that were introduced. The missing train scenes, for instance, is removing a lot of the psychological focus that is recognizable of the series. Likewise SEELE's powers of being sentient monoliths for real this time.

Found a gif of Shinji's arms becoming Kaworu's:

Certainly, Shinji's emotional state is important, but it seems this time is about how he hurts others rather than how the world hurts him (his hurt is also based on tangible consequences rather than "in his head"). How he can't cope with change.

And, as I said before, Lilith seems playing the role Adam did in NGE. She was reduced to an embryo like state and then was eaten by Eva 13.
ThessJan 23, 2013 7:07 PM
Jan 24, 2013 2:52 AM

Dec 2008
^Eh, that doesn't necessarily lead to mutation/etc. Could just be representing how much Shinji is aiming to become like Kaoru which was a main part of 3.0. Shinji's psyche was helped tremendously by him so he was trying to become more like him throughout this movie is the simplest/most direct interpretation of their relationship. As Anno likes putting twists though there might be more of course, but for that gif/scene it's more likely the same thing as a student pianist practicing to play the same as a great interpret such as Cortot or Hamelin, not some actual mutating :/ ?
There's a lack of conclusive evidence for these things so far though, I'd like to wait for 3.33 and/or 4.0/4.44 to be sure. Just like nil- said the arguments were going in circles (although that was mainly about the curse of eva).

nil- said:
it's very specific and kind of difficult to reveal should Anno ever decide to do so in 4.0. But that could more or less be it too.

Before wondering if Anno'll put this sort of thing in 4.0, 3.33 could maybe add (at least) more hints to what the curse of eva is when Asuka brings it up. 1.11 and 2.22 both had new scenes and prolonged ones so I have high hopes for more info on the new elements brought up in 3.0.

I haven't seen 1.0 and 2.0 so I don't know how important the changes from the dvd/blu-ray versions were. I only remember the list of edited/added cuts being quite big. I think it was on a wikia?
HakoriaJan 24, 2013 2:58 AM
Jan 24, 2013 2:57 AM

Sep 2010
It could be metaphorical, sure, but that and their song and other very ambiguous wording makes me wonder about what is what Akira Ishida can't reveal yet. Maybe we'll find out in Final.

Speaking of Q, wasn't it supposed to be 20 minutes longer? That's a lot of missing scenes.
Jan 24, 2013 3:11 AM

Dec 2008
I saw their piano practice being synchronization training just like how Asuka and Shinji did in NGE. K&S had to copilot the same unit and practicing 4 hands piano works synchronization between 2 people very well irl.

From the dialogs I remember that Kaoru did seem dependent on Shinji as well but I'm unsure about the rest by now. Their relationship isn't too important for me anyway but I'll still consider checking up on the next interview he'll have on this topic.
The 3.0 artbook has 2-3 pages of commentary/information for each of the main characters, could this contain new information related to 3.0? Don't think it's been translated yet and I haven't checked it in detail besides the characters artworks and high qual screencaps.
(Edit: Just checked, it's interviews with the VAs. You might have been talking about this interview with Ishida?)

If Q's dvd/blu-ray release is 20mins longer there better be more Sakura as well. Don't care as much for Midori/rest of Wille's new crew.
Jan 24, 2013 4:25 AM

Sep 2010
I'm speaking about the interview with Ishida. The movie pamphlet comes with an interview of all the main voice actresses and actors with foreshadowing and FAQ about the portrayal in Q. Rei seiyuu foreshadows something big will come with the multiple Rei-s- for instance as well. Ishida, unlike the rest, had prior information so he laughed at the shock of his peers (Ogata had absolutely no idea about the direction).

We'll see what that'll be. Maybe we'll get some backstory or more piano.
Jan 24, 2013 6:15 PM
Oct 2010
I FUCKING LOVE ASUKA <3 she is too fucking awesome to have to care after shinji bitch ass so much

how did she not age? way to many questions brought up with that time skip. im pretty sure teh preview on 2.0 was also COMPLETELY different from this movie.
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jan 25, 2013 2:56 AM
Jun 2012
Why does Asuka even bother to go get Shinji at the end? From her view he almost destroyed the world (again). I know she has some feelings for him but its not as if she was gentle with him when she found him. :)

I suppose she didn't want to leave him with his father, who might convince him to use an Eva again, but from the way she's been acting this movie you would think she would just kill him and get it over with. Maybe she just can't bring herself to kill him? Dunno.
Jan 25, 2013 10:30 AM

Dec 2008
Tsundere all the way, it's why we love her. If she wasn't bullying Shinji a bit he'd really just die in a corner so it's the best way to get him to snap back into sense first. It's how she tends to behave with him more naturally, so it makes more sense to do the same as before as nothing else would really work (and seeing a doting Asuka after the shit he just pulled again would probably freak out Shinji even more once he's more normal). This time he has to be more responsible with his actions as he doesn't get to sleep for 14 years, so she probably wants to support him in her typical way.

On a more serious note, I believe she knows Shinji didn't expect to trigger new impacts on both ocassions so she doesn't really blame him (besides that Kaoru told him not to do it for n-FI). In 3.0 she explained her first cold appearance as needing to let off some steam as she couldn't do anything about it for so long and possibly thought he was gone for good as well. He's a pilot that is used by adults just like she is, so he isn't to be blamed that much as he's mainly followed orders on both occasions. And yeah, better keep him away from Gendo for a while.
HakoriaJan 25, 2013 10:34 AM
Jan 25, 2013 11:25 AM
Oct 2010
Remember Shinji helped Asuka in the beginning of 3.0, so she knows that he still has feelings for her, and she obviously for him. Asuka's way of expressing her feelings toward Shinji is through ill-treatment or bluntness, she doesn't try to butter him up or have pity on him, she just tells him like it is, which in turn is good for Shinji's well being because he really has to hear these things to better himself.

However on the flip side, shinji's submissiveness makes him a good match for her as well because despite the bad treatment he still likes her, so it doesn't become a case of her pushing him away like she has probably done with others so many times before.

TLDR: She just really likes him.
Jan 25, 2013 1:24 PM
Jun 2012
I'm sure it'll never happen, but I'd like to see Shinji get laid by the end of all this... I don't care who it is with, I don't care how awkward and disfunctunal it is (probably best if it is), I just want to see him make SOME progress with SOMEONE after all the hours of anime we've seen him flounder around.

I guess the real question is, will Shinji still accept his own feelings for the Rei he "saved" if he sees her again in the flesh, in 4. He now knows that the Rei's are clones of his mother (in body, but not in spirit, if Shinji even makes that distinction). If she is gone, will he betray his feelings for her in the ultimate insult by going after her replacement? It doesn't look like it right now, but who knows what will happen in 4. Asuka is the most normal choice of the 3 pilots right now which is why I doubt it will be her if it happens at all. ;)

Just for me personally, I'm kinda irked that after that touching scene at the end of 2, with what seems like a full on embrace of love between Shinji and Rei, they decide to just take her out of action for 3. GRRrrrrrrrr
Jan 25, 2013 2:55 PM
Oct 2010
Shinji can tell the difference between the Reis. He got particularly upset with the latest Rei if you recall.
Jan 25, 2013 4:24 PM

Mar 2012
Thess said:
She was reduced to an embryo like state and then was eaten by Eva 13.

That was the 12th Angel.
Jan 25, 2013 5:26 PM

Dec 2008
skudoops said:
Remember Shinji helped Asuka in the beginning of 3.0

Ah nice pointing that out, I hadn't thought of that with the end of the first scene. Too busy imagining how good the visuals will be in bluray quality compared to the camrip really occupied my thoughts at the start. I probably had the impression it was the eva 01's eye due to lack of attention as it didn't look human to me.

Darkmatterx76 said:
I'm sure it'll never happen, but I'd like to see Shinji get laid by the end of all this... I don't care who it is with, I don't care how awkward and disfunctunal it is (probably best if it is), I just want to see him make SOME progress with SOMEONE after all the hours of anime we've seen him flounder around.

(EoE spoilers) Misato french'd him and he masturbated to Asuka's hospitalized comatose body, that's the most Anno would ever give us.

Jokes aside, doujins exist for that purpose anyway. Indecisiveness of the prot is a frequent trait since whenever the studio does decide (Clannad) people cry for alt route OVAs. Some other exceptions like school days (which even includes a bonus fun ending) are rare.
HakoriaJan 25, 2013 5:30 PM
Jan 27, 2013 5:39 AM
May 2012
Roberto3000 said:
Thess said:
She was reduced to an embryo like state and then was eaten by Eva 13.

That was the 12th Angel.

The 12th Angel mixed with the remains of Lilith and then Eva 13 ate the entire mixture.
Jan 27, 2013 7:15 PM
Jan 2013
I felt sorry for shinji in this one, everyone hates him except Kaworu and Toji's sister, I hated how misato treated shinji and everyone else, in the end of the movie i cried, when kaworu died, and when shinji broke down in tears, i almost went emo when he died. What bothered me more was when asuka calls him a brat at the end and kicks him in the entry plug. I wish I could go there and slap asuka, and hug shinji telling him that its not his fault
Jan 29, 2013 12:30 AM

Sep 2010
Hakoria said:
On a more serious note, I believe she knows Shinji didn't expect to trigger new impacts on both ocassions so she doesn't really blame him

Of course she blames him, she told him he wouldn't get away with it by not saying a word about it and violently kicks him. She's conflicted because he was the first friend she made 14 years ago. She seems to feel the same way about the Black Rei. She had smoothly opened the path to be the original's friend when Bardiel happened, then she awakes and finds out both of them are gone: now over a decade after that she meets with a joke version of one and another who is basically an ignorant teenager displaced in time. She has to act like the adult caretaker of two emotionally dead and lost children.
ThessJan 29, 2013 9:42 AM
Jan 30, 2013 2:15 PM
Jun 2012
At the end of the movie Asuka says something about the "L" field being to strong where they are and because of that Wille won't be coming to their rescue, so they'll have to walk home.

Does anyone have any info on what this "L field" is?

Also, I posted a bunch of screengrabs from the cam and put them under a spoiler tag in post #63 along with some questions about what is actually being shown on screen. A lot of them are from when Kaworu shows Shinji what the outside around Nerv HQ looks like now. No one gave me any answers to my questions or their own guesses of what the screengrabs are showing so I was hoping some people might go back and take a look.

Since no one said anything I wasn't sure if it was because no one had any idea what was happening either or if it was because the missed it since it was hidden under a spoiler tag.

Thanks.
Jan 31, 2013 2:23 AM

Sep 2010
L field/barrier = Lilith's Barrier, I think? We don't have a lot of info of what it is, but it's probably consequence of the Third Impact.

I'll take a look to your post...
Jan 31, 2013 2:51 AM

Sep 2012
Darkmatterx76 said:
At the end of the movie Asuka says something about the "L" field being to strong where they are and because of that Wille won't be coming to their rescue, so they'll have to walk home.

Does anyone have any info on what this "L field" is?

Also, I posted a bunch of screengrabs from the cam and put them under a spoiler tag in post #63 along with some questions about what is actually being shown on screen. A lot of them are from when Kaworu shows Shinji what the outside around Nerv HQ looks like now. No one gave me any answers to my questions or their own guesses of what the screengrabs are showing so I was hoping some people might go back and take a look.

Since no one said anything I wasn't sure if it was because no one had any idea what was happening either or if it was because the missed it since it was hidden under a spoiler tag.

Thanks.

welp i just had a look.

its completely obvious now. the world of TTGL and ROE have fused, that huge mouth thing is arc gurren lagann that big 'thing' is cathedral terra.

the evas have now combined.

they will verse cathedral terra and the EVA series from EOE as 1 combined unit of 00, 01, 02 and whatever model mari's unit is. (08?) and unit 06.

shinji pilots from the head section.

its combined form is called

NEON
GENESIS
EVANGELION.

team dai lilin
the battle takes place on the milky way galaxy,
how depressed do you think they are!?
Jan 31, 2013 7:47 AM
Jun 2012
lol
As funny as that sounds, I actually did consider that just last night. If you rewatch EoE its easy to see just how massive "Mega Rei" is. If you imagine a human standing somewhere on the surface of her body, they might have no idea that they aren't on a "planet." Of course that would largely depend on where they are.
So, could they be on a reborn lilith, or maybe on adam? I doubt they're on an eva because that would be.... I don't have a word for it, sorry. One small bit, at the end of the movie Mari told Shinji to, "get to know the world a little bit" but that could mean lots of things.

In the 3rd movie you do see Shinji's dad talking to what looks like a large, dead (maybe mummified?) Rei head. This sort of connects with the ending of the EoE movie except that in EoE the Rei head was much MUCH bigger and by the end we see it splitting in half and the 1 half sliding down into the ocean.

Since in the 3rd movie the Rei head explodes when Shinji pulls out the spears I think that the Rei head was decapitated off of the lilith body that had the spears in it. I think that she is a shrunk down version of the "mega Rei" from EoE. In NGE Adam was shrunk down to an embryo so its not so far fetched that "mega Rei" could also have shrunk.

Last thing. If you watch the end again you'll see that theres something on the other side of the Door of Gulf. It looks like a white halo but broken evenly into 4 sections. It seems to be trying to cross the boundary into "our universe" because it was far away when the door first opened but as the door closed you could see that it had almost made it to the door.

EDIT: I had an idea. I think the door leads to the "space/dimension" where people end up if they fuse with an eva core. Gendou only cares about getting Yui back, so everything he's doing must lead to that (or so he thinks.) If you rewatch the scene in the movie where you see Yui being placed into the core of Eva 01 they show her surrounded by a halo. Also, if you look at the core of Eva 01 just below her you'll see that the red sphere part is surrounded by a metal ring that has 4 small gaps in it that are evenly spaced around the core. That ring/spaces looks a lot like the 4 sectioned halo that is trying to get through the door of gulf.
Darkmatterx76Jan 31, 2013 10:12 AM
Jan 31, 2013 11:26 PM

Sep 2012
Darkmatterx76 said:
lol
As funny as that sounds, I actually did consider that just last night. If you rewatch EoE its easy to see just how massive "Mega Rei" is. If you imagine a human standing somewhere on the surface of her body, they might have no idea that they aren't on a "planet." Of course that would largely depend on where they are.
So, could they be on a reborn lilith, or maybe on adam? I doubt they're on an eva because that would be.... I don't have a word for it, sorry. One small bit, at the end of the movie Mari told Shinji to, "get to know the world a little bit" but that could mean lots of things.

In the 3rd movie you do see Shinji's dad talking to what looks like a large, dead (maybe mummified?) Rei head. This sort of connects with the ending of the EoE movie except that in EoE the Rei head was much MUCH bigger and by the end we see it splitting in half and the 1 half sliding down into the ocean.

Since in the 3rd movie the Rei head explodes when Shinji pulls out the spears I think that the Rei head was decapitated off of the lilith body that had the spears in it. I think that she is a shrunk down version of the "mega Rei" from EoE. In NGE Adam was shrunk down to an embryo so its not so far fetched that "mega Rei" could also have shrunk.

Last thing. If you watch the end again you'll see that theres something on the other side of the Door of Gulf. It looks like a white halo but broken evenly into 4 sections. It seems to be trying to cross the boundary into "our universe" because it was far away when the door first opened but as the door closed you could see that it had almost made it to the door.

EDIT: I had an idea. I think the door leads to the "space/dimension" where people end up if they fuse with an eva core. Gendou only cares about getting Yui back, so everything he's doing must lead to that (or so he thinks.) If you rewatch the scene in the movie where you see Yui being placed into the core of Eva 01 they show her surrounded by a halo. Also, if you look at the core of Eva 01 just below her you'll see that the red sphere part is surrounded by a metal ring that has 4 small gaps in it that are evenly spaced around the core. That ring/spaces looks a lot like the 4 sectioned halo that is trying to get through the door of gulf.

sounds plausible.

still
i prefer my TTGL crossover path.

lol
in all seriousness, theres quite a few fan theories that EOE was the end of the NGE world and TTGL took place several hundred/thousand years later in the same world. its plausible when you compare the world at the start of TTGL and the wold now that theres been another impact
Feb 2, 2013 12:31 PM
Jul 2010
God, I'm so unsure about this...
I don't usually watch mecha so it was only the popularity of Eva that made me watch the original series(first) and in the end, as everyone else, I fell in love with it because of its characters, complexity and background story and references in it, which obviously reqired a lot of previous reading. But the Rebuild series...
I just can't form an opinion about it. 1.0 was basically the same as the episodes it adapts, the improved art wasn't something that I looked into. I realised that Asuka wouldn't be in it yet, so it was a bit disappointing in that way.
2.0 was... different. Anno changed so much of the original that I loved, made Asuka shallow, made everything different. And started Third Impact in a completely different way than in EoE which made it confusing and I had to look at it as a completely new direction in the story, completely disgard the final 6-7 episode + EoE.
And 3.0... well, it was weird. Apart from the fact that the main characters were kinda missing, the new Mari(who I originally hated for just being new, then kinda accepted for being voiced by Mayaa Sakamoto) being a completely pointless character YET AGAIN and a few other things, it got the story... nowhere? Much of the explanations and flashbacks needed were non-existent(like how exactly would Kowaru make everything not be Shinji's fault)... maybe I just didn't get that, only one watch(a Camrip one) is obviously not enough, so I can't dare critisize the story, cause I didn't really get the point of it. But I think this movie should have been if not about how fucked up and broken the characters are, or at least were supposed to be, then more about everyone's plans for Third/Fourth Impact and explanations about it(since many people bill Rebuild as a "not so hard on the mindfuck and complexity" adaptation) but instead it was all about Kowaru. And don't get me wrong, he still is a great character, who I love just as much as anyone else on Evangelion) but... couldn't Anno do it for 20 minutes like in NGE instead of 90...
Feb 3, 2013 2:05 AM
Feb 2012
All I want is for 4.0 to be even more depressing than EoE and Original endings combined.

Sure the movie was a bit too rushed, lacked explanations and, well, mind ___ , but other than that, I liked that it was much more darker than 1.0 and 2.0.
Feb 3, 2013 2:45 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
All I want is for 4.0 to be even more depressing than EoE and Original endings combined.

Sure the movie was a bit too rushed, lacked explanations and, well, mind ___ , but other than that, I liked that it was much more darker than 1.0 and 2.0.

i recall hearing that 4.0 isnt heading for a mindfuck/grimdark ending that EOE had, and theyre going for something completely new
Feb 3, 2013 3:54 AM
Feb 2012
You never know, hopefully Anno trolls everyone again.

Everyone dies except for Shinji.
Feb 3, 2013 4:27 AM

Sep 2012
NNick said:
You never know, hopefully Anno trolls everyone again.

Everyone dies except for Shinji.

wouldnt put it past anno
Feb 3, 2013 5:38 AM

Apr 2012
Huh. So this movie is either love or hate, huh? Better lower my expectations quite a bit then.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Feb 3, 2013 6:15 PM

Sep 2010
@waterflame: You're thinking Rebuild has the same structure and main characters than NGE. That is trying to be like NGE when it was announced to intent to destroy and rebuild Evangelion. Kaworu has a larger role than some of the old main characters of Eva and there are "multiple Reis". Gendo is now the focus of the conflict with Shinji whose daddy issues got even deeper (thus SEELE fades in importance). These are movies are Shinji centric. It cannot and won't have the same character study of the tv series.

Gendo's plans are the force behind the plot of these movies (and are reliant on Shinji's despair and isolation). If you re-watch them and you'll understand how flawlessly linked everything is: Gendo summoned Shinji to pilot, Misato was put in charge of him (who bonded with Shinji due to her own father complex). Gendo later says he plans for Rei and Shinji to grow closer, what is what happens later? The focus is here. Asuka is only given a character and plot focus when she discusses Shinji's daddy issues in his futon and indirectly helps Rei in her plan to bring father and son together (the connection is clear again: Gendo). During Break, Gendo notices Kaworu in the Moon and declares his intention to object him. Kaworu acknowledges his existence. He stops the plans Gendo cooked in the ending. 3.0 is all about Gendo's scheme to kill him off and get a new awakened Eva (13) he wants to use for his plans in Final. Asuka, Shinji, Misato, Mari are all pieces of a board to accomplish this checkmate. Rei's absent because is part of Gendo's plan she's absent.

Whatever may come after the movie might study the rest of the cast (and I hope it does, because I also wish for them to develop without Shinji), but the story and plot (moved by Gendo's planning and Shinji's emotional despair) is perfectly coherent.

Pay attention to who has a connection to Gendo foreshadowed and you can bet for sure they will have a large part to play more than those who don't. This will spare you from disappointments. The structure is fairly simple to understand.
ThessFeb 3, 2013 6:36 PM
Pages (16) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad? ( 1 2 )

DeusAnima - Oct 6, 2013

76 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:02 PM

» Should I rewatch Evangelion before watching this

Vai03 - Jun 27, 2022

19 by Vai03 »»
Jun 30, 2022 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.