Forum Settings
Forums
New
How would you rate this character?
Dec 14, 2012 9:05 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Character: Kotetsu T. Kaburagi (Tiger & Bunny)

MAL Character Information Page: Kotetsu T. "Wild Tiger" Kaburagi

MAL Favorites: 1212

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with this character discuss what they think makes it an exceptional character. What attributes make it stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character moulds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Kotetsu T. Kaburagi was inducted NOT into the club Character list:
5 Yes - 14.7%
29 No - 85.2%

48 Don't know this character - 54.5% of the total number polled
6 Abstained - 1.1% of the total number polled
santetjanJan 11, 2013 6:03 AM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 14, 2012 9:38 AM

Sep 2009
If Yang Wenli and Taichi Keaton didn't already exist he might have had a hope in hell, but as it is there are better depictions of an extraordinary everyman out there.
Dec 14, 2012 7:36 PM

Oct 2008
i hate this character so much. he was the main reason i dropped T&B. he is useless, whiney, annoying, completely uncool and yet for some reason no one around him seems to care. the SHOW doesn't seem to care, and lets him run amok fucking shit up and yet at the end of the day everyone still seems to accept him as a hero. it doesn't compute
Dec 18, 2012 5:27 AM

Sep 2009
BigSimo said:
i hate this character so much. he was the main reason i dropped T&B. he is useless, whiney, annoying, completely uncool and yet for some reason no one around him seems to care. the SHOW doesn't seem to care, and lets him run amok fucking shit up and yet at the end of the day everyone still seems to accept him as a hero. it doesn't compute
I have this weird feeling that you watched a BIZARRO Tiger and Bunny that was in every way the exact opposite of the actual Tiger and Bunny.
Dec 18, 2012 7:38 AM

Dec 2007
I'm liking him so far, but the dynamic duo is better.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 28, 2012 4:03 PM

Nov 2007
I liked him, but from memory not enough to vote him onto the relations list.
Dec 28, 2012 9:26 PM

Oct 2008
Lindle said:
BigSimo said:
I have this weird feeling that you watched a BIZARRO Tiger and Bunny that was in every way the exact opposite of the actual Tiger and Bunny.

well, to clarify, i watched up to episode 10 and that's where i stopped. up until that point kotetsu was pretty much everything i described him as being. let me break it down (not like a breakdancer though i suck at that).

useless - of the 'dynamic' duo, he was the one that would often get the two of them into shit, and he was the one who rarely got them out of said shit. plus, his daughter doesn't like him and when he tries to be a cool/good dad, it backfires.

whiney - not helped by his VA who i don't really like. from what i remember he wasn't actually whiney so much as saying stupid stuff like stating the obvious or talking to himself like an idiot. so not whiney, but a whiney sounding adult voice.

annoying - apparently a lot of people didnt find him annoying - i did. for the above and below reasons. from what i heard he developed a bit by the end of the show but i was sick of him not changing at all for 10 episodes.

completely uncool - this is a combination of the above, but mainly just things like going to hit a bad guy and missing (this is an example but it probably happened); or telling citizens to 'stay calm, i got this' and then having his ass kicked by a bad guy before bunny saves his ass and he gives the 'final punch' because he is the main character. there are other things like this but i watched this show ages ago so can't remember too much.

of course, all of the above isn't inherently bad assuming there is some payoff; like where the character acknowledges that he sucks, is a loser, etc. and then goes about changing himself. i think he actually does acknowledge some of the above at points, but then he never seemed to do anything about it. he'd go and fuck some shit up again and break half the city and have his ass saved, and yet at the end of the day bunny still seemed to like him, and no one seemed to hate him. for me it was infuriating. i'm a big fan of stories where the MC is a loser and then is publicly humiliated or something for being a loser, and then he changes himself completely into someone nice/cool/sexy. this didn't seem to happen here.

IF i am wrong about some things please correct me, but this is what my memory is telling me happened in T&B.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.