Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 14, 2012 1:12 AM
Jun 2009
I mean for a shounen series hero, he is pretty generic in cliches. OP, rapidly increasing harem, justice speeches, power of friendship and love conquers all (a.k.a. asspulls), etc.

But there's just something about his character/personality that is not likeable. Rather, it kinda annoys me watching him.

I don't mind the OP harem building shounen heroes like Tatsuya from Mahouka, Touma from Index, Simon from Gurren Lagann, Rin from Ao no Exorcist, Ichigo/Naruto/Luffy from the Big 3, Shiki from Tsukihime, etc. But Kirito... I just can't bring myself to like his character.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 14, 2012 1:29 AM

Jun 2009
Wait...a lot of those characters don't even have a harem...
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 14, 2012 1:53 AM

Apr 2012
Not sure what your definition of a harem is. I wouldn't consider SAO a harem at all. It is clear who his love interest is. My definition of a harem means there is some type of love triangle (or some other geometric shape lol), but in SAO there really is no competition. Asuna is his gal period

oh right kirito sucks :|
cheesy, awkward dialogue, massive plot holes especially when he resurrects himself out of no where after Kayaba Akihiko clearly kills him
zzzeallyDec 14, 2012 1:57 AM

Dec 14, 2012 1:56 AM

Aug 2009
Tsukihime is shounen?I understand FSN but Tsukihime....

Excluding Shiki and Luffy(and Tatsuya sicne I dont know him)....The difference Kirito
has with the others is the show.If youhate the series he is in then you will hate the char.

And the only one from the above with a harem is Touma.The others either dont have OR have a totally different route for each girl.

Dec 14, 2012 2:00 AM

Apr 2012
ssjokg said:

Excluding Shiki and Luffy(and Tatsuya sicne I dont know him)....The difference Kirito
has with the others is the show.If youhate the series he is in then you will hate the char.

And the only one from the above with a harem is Touma.The others either dont have OR have a totally different route for each girl.

SHHH TSUKIHIME ANIME NEVER EXISTED

Dec 14, 2012 2:18 AM

Aug 2009
Zeally said:
ssjokg said:

Thats why it's not a harem.If it was ever made I guess they would try to combine the routes and make all the girls follow him.
ssjokgDec 14, 2012 2:24 AM
Dec 14, 2012 2:21 AM

Jun 2009
ssjokg said:
Zeally said:
ssjokg said:

Thats why it's not a harem.If it was ever made I guess they would try to combine the routes abd make all the girls follow him.

That sounds pretty awful. I'd rather see it done like, say, Amagami SS.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 14, 2012 2:23 AM

Aug 2009
insan3soldiern said:
ssjokg said:
Zeally said:
ssjokg said:

Thats why it's not a harem.If it was ever made I guess they would try to combine the routes abd make all the girls follow him.

How many eps per heroine?
Dec 14, 2012 3:00 AM

Jun 2009
ssjokg said:
insan3soldiern said:
ssjokg said:
Zeally said:
ssjokg said:

No clue to be honest, I haven't finished all the routes. What do you think?

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 14, 2012 4:01 AM

Aug 2009
insan3soldiern said:
ssjokg said:
insan3soldiern said:
ssjokg said:
Zeally said:
ssjokg said:

Nots sure.Maybe 12?
Dec 14, 2012 4:04 AM

Jun 2009
ssjokg said:
insan3soldiern said:
ssjokg said:
insan3soldiern said:
ssjokg said:
Zeally said:
ssjokg said:

Nots sure.Maybe 12?

Yeah, I guess that sounds pretty reasonable. Then again, I know fuck all about how to pace a series. Though I can sure as hell judge it when watching!

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 14, 2012 7:14 AM

Feb 2009
I wasn't informed that Simon, Rin, Ichigo, Naruto and Luffy have a harem. I'm enlightened now /sarcasm
Touma has a harem no doubt. Shiki...is arguable but I lean towards yes.
As for Tatsuya, I'll just wait for the eventual anime adaptation(Mahouka is gonna be the next big thing after SAO, I'm sure of this) before saying that it's a big, fat NOPE. Oh wait I already did...

OP just lost some credibility right there.
Dec 14, 2012 7:49 AM
Oct 2012
coolxal said:
I mean for a shounen series hero, he is pretty generic in cliches. OP, rapidly increasing harem, justice speeches, power of friendship and love conquers all (a.k.a. asspulls), etc.

But there's just something about his character/personality that is not likeable. Rather, it kinda annoys me watching him.

I don't mind the OP harem building shounen heroes like Tatsuya from Mahouka, Touma from Index, Simon from Gurren Lagann, Rin from Ao no Exorcist, Ichigo/Naruto/Luffy from the Big 3, Shiki from Tsukihime, etc. But Kirito... I just can't bring myself to like his character.

I thought people were complaining that he was more op than other shounen protagonists?
Most shounen protagonists don't have a harem.
Kirito does justice speeches? I must have missed that. He actually kills the bad guys and doesn't try to "convert" them. Power of friendship? Did we watch the same show?
Asuna was the one who the used power of love. You are free to dislike him or whatever but the examples for him being "generic" don't really apply here.
Dec 14, 2012 7:52 AM

May 2012
Since when Tsukihime = Shounen ?
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Dec 14, 2012 8:02 AM
Oct 2012
Zeally said:

And now for case number 049.
Students you will remember from you introduction to psychology class that the stereotypical person suffering from denial is one who has passionately, so ardently believed in something that a great deal of the person's ego is involved as a means of achieving external validation and internal confirmation, that when they are confronted with a fact that contradicts this something, rather than adjust reality to omit this disquieting fact.

The classical study on this phenomena, which has the technical name of Cognitive Dissonance, was that of certain small Doomsday Cults once doomsday did not occur. These people before the date, sold their possessions, said goodbye to all their friends, and generally made it know that the final date was approaching. When the date past they were confronted with a dilemma: admit that they were wrong, or deny something and continue to believe what they believe. For many the choice is easy.

This particular case suffers from what we call "Type Moon" syndrome. So absolutely convinced that the products of this company is infinitely superior to other productions, particularly in transforming a game into an animated. Rather than admit that there is an absolutely horrendous Tsukihime animation that was so incredibly bad that, by comparison, SAO was that shimmering beacon on the hill for all the world to see, they have blotted it from their memories, condemning that particular animation to a black hole of existence. When you point out that it is listed on MAL, their browser will sudden not work and if you post a picture they will suddenly have an urgent desire to check their posting on the "Naruto and One Piece are crap" thread.

This is little that can be done for such self-delusion. Their identity is too invested in this "Type Moon", distorting any inkling of common sense from their minds, and are prone to violent fits of extreme denial. At such times it is best to pat them on their heads, and matter "Fate is Good, Fate is Great" which will immediately calm them down.

Edit: my apologies originally posted in wrong thread, moving it to where it belongs. Having log-out problems occasionally when I post and picked the wrong thread this time. Has anyone else noticed this problem since they improved security?
Dec 14, 2012 10:04 AM

Apr 2012
Klein>Kirito

And lol OP Shiki is shounen harem building?
Implying that he's not a psycho rapist in an 18+ eroge.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 14, 2012 11:05 AM
Jul 2012
Shiki is my favourite rapist.
Dec 14, 2012 12:52 PM

Apr 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Zeally said:

And now for case number 049.
Students you will remember from you introduction to psychology class that the stereotypical person suffering from denial is one who has passionately, so ardently believed in something that a great deal of the person's ego is involved as a means of achieving external validation and internal confirmation, that when they are confronted with a fact that contradicts this something, rather than adjust reality to omit this disquieting fact.

The classical study on this phenomena, which has the technical name of Cognitive Dissonance, was that of certain small Doomsday Cults once doomsday did not occur. These people before the date, sold their possessions, said goodbye to all their friends, and generally made it know that the final date was approaching. When the date past they were confronted with a dilemma: admit that they were wrong, or deny something and continue to believe what they believe. For many the choice is easy.

This particular case suffers from what we call "Type Moon" syndrome. So absolutely convinced that the products of this company is infinitely superior to other productions, particularly in transforming a game into an animated. Rather than admit that there is an absolutely horrendous Tsukihime animation that was so incredibly bad that, by comparison, SAO was that shimmering beacon on the hill for all the world to see, they have blotted it from their memories, condemning that particular animation to a black hole of existence. When you point out that it is listed on MAL, their browser will sudden not work and if you post a picture they will suddenly have an urgent desire to check their posting on the "Naruto and One Piece are crap" thread.

This is little that can be done for such self-delusion. Their identity is too invested in this "Type Moon", distorting any inkling of common sense from their minds, and are prone to violent fits of extreme denial. At such times it is best to pat them on their heads, and matter "Fate is Good, Fate is Great" which will immediately calm them down.

Edit: my apologies originally posted in wrong thread, moving it to where it belongs. Having log-out problems occasionally when I post and picked the wrong thread this time. Has anyone else noticed this problem since they improved security?

wtf did i just read. Not even gonna bother. sounds like the words of schizophrenic lol...........

Dec 14, 2012 1:10 PM
Oct 2012
Zeally said:
wtf did i just read. Not even gonna bother. sounds like the words of schizophrenic lol...........

Hey, I think you should go to hell, and the voices inside my head completely agreed with me, so there! Smoke on that corn cob.
Dec 14, 2012 1:14 PM

Oct 2011
I don't like him,don't hate him.He's not even worth my care.
Not because he's OP or any of what you said.In the anime (I don't know about the novel,maybe he's much better),he's meh or bleh...maybe more of a meh.

Also,
Simon,Rin,Ichigo & Naruto don't have & never had a harem in their series. Luffy did for one arc & technically,that wasn't even a real harem.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Dec 14, 2012 1:25 PM
Oct 2011
And here is our SAO thread for the week.

Kirito is just a generic chick magnet with a generic face and OP skills, there's seriously nothing interesting about him. Oh, he can cheat, therefore he's a BA, I guess.
Dec 14, 2012 1:33 PM

Oct 2011
Candor said:

Isn't there 20 new threads a week?
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Dec 14, 2012 1:40 PM
Oct 2011
JeddyVII said:
Candor said:

Isn't there 20 new threads a week?
The other ones are old, we need a new fresh one. It has also been a while since we had a "Kirito sucks, discuss" thread, so, here you go.
Dec 14, 2012 1:53 PM

Apr 2012
he is more likeable in the LN... But yeah he's not that good in my opinion
Dec 14, 2012 2:18 PM

Aug 2008
For some reason Kirito doesn't appeal to me like Neku and Sakamoto do. Despite being the emo, unsocial, prodigy who gets a fair amount of character development.

Dunno why.
Dec 14, 2012 3:14 PM

Mar 2012
I think he's alright as a MC. He's not the best MC in the world but he's far from the worst.

I mostly don't mind him because personality wise, I have a lot in common with him. I'm sort of a loner who can make friends but I don't exactly like calling them up and say "let's hang out on Saturday." Usually I'm the one that gets that message and usually my response is mixed depending on how I feel or how busy I am.

I'd say the only big difference is I'm not the "chick magnet" he is. I'm probably closer to Klein in that department. I'm not even really sure "how" Kirito is such a chick magnet. I mean, he's nice and all but really, is that all it takes to pick up girls? Not in my experience! lol j/k. I'm not exactly "begging" for chicks or anything, I'm just not real suave about it. I'm pretty quiet and reserved...not a real great attribute for picking up girls...wish I knew Kirito's secret, but anywho to get back on-topic...

I think "harem" is being really generalized if you consider SAO a "harem" anime. Like another poster said earlier, I consider a harem anime to be more of a collaboration where you don't exactly know who the lead character will end up with. While there is usually a "favorite" in those types of series, they still leave it open. SAO is more specific about it. You have girls that are "attracted" to Kirito but you can tell he isn't interested in any of them besides Asuna. That's not really a harem in my book, more like, one lucky bastard who has options if he wanted them but doesn't need them. The anime doesn't handle it so much like a harem either. You don't have scenes where Kirito is internally struggling to pick a girl that likes him. You KNOW Asuna is his girl and that's that.
Dec 14, 2012 3:25 PM

May 2011
Toucanbird said:
I think he's alright as a MC. He's not the best MC in the world but he's far from the worst.

I mostly don't mind him because personality wise, I have a lot in common with him. I'm sort of a loner who can make friends but I don't exactly like calling them up and say "let's hang out on Saturday." Usually I'm the one that gets that message and usually my response is mixed depending on how I feel or how busy I am.

I'd say the only big difference is I'm not the "chick magnet" he is. I'm probably closer to Klein in that department. I'm not even really sure "how" Kirito is such a chick magnet. I mean, he's nice and all but really, is that all it takes to pick up girls? Not in my experience! lol j/k. I'm not exactly "begging" for chicks or anything, I'm just not real suave about it. I'm pretty quiet and reserved...not a real great attribute for picking up girls...wish I knew Kirito's secret, but anywho to get back on-topic...

I think "harem" is being really generalized if you consider SAO a "harem" anime. Like another poster said earlier, I consider a harem anime to be more of a collaboration where you don't exactly know who the lead character will end up with. While there is usually a "favorite" in those types of series, they still leave it open. SAO is more specific about it. You have girls that are "attracted" to Kirito but you can tell he isn't interested in any of them besides Asuna. That's not really a harem in my book, more like, one lucky bastard who has options if he wanted them but doesn't need them. The anime doesn't handle it so much like a harem either. You don't have scenes where Kirito is internally struggling to pick a girl that likes him. You KNOW Asuna is his girl and that's that.

People say its the pheromones :P

Meh, to me, i consider harems where the main character has a group of usually the opposite sex, and has some sort of strong interest in him/her (alot of shows are harems, Clannad/Steins;Gate for example falls into it). As long as they provide good character interaction or develop the MC in some way, its nothing to complain about.
RockerXDDec 14, 2012 3:29 PM
Dec 14, 2012 4:01 PM

Jan 2008
Do pheromones work when your pixels?
Dec 14, 2012 8:48 PM

Nov 2008
Personally i think hes a boss. I always get pumped when he uses dual blades, or does some crazy shit
Dec 14, 2012 9:57 PM

Aug 2011
Who like yucky Guts ripoff Gary Stu?
Dec 14, 2012 10:26 PM

Oct 2011
EstelleBright said:
Who like yucky Guts ripoff Gary Stu?

Oh my god...you just called this guy a Gut's ripoff????????????????????????He's not even close to being good enough to be Gut's ripoff.
My Devianart

Dec 14, 2012 10:31 PM

Mar 2012
I don't like him, he's too 'perfect', I wouldn't call him a Gut's ripoff, just their swords are similar, it would be cool if in the last episode the God Hand appeared out of the blue and Femto rapped Asuna in front of Kirito, lol

Dec 15, 2012 10:18 PM

Aug 2011
JezusBull said:
it would be cool if in the last episode the God Hand appeared out of the blue and Femto rapped Asuna in front of Kirito, lol

Dear lord that would've been amazing.
Dec 15, 2012 10:35 PM

Aug 2008
Kirito is kinda a guts rip off, the plot he follows is essentially the same that's for sure (Just that Kirito doesn't have as many consequences to deal with as Guts does).

The two plot points this series could have been had to make it the most controversial series ever.

Either A: Asuna is actually Kayabaya!
or B: GODHAND RAPEEE
Dec 16, 2012 2:43 AM
Mar 2008
I have nothing against Kirito because he only takes on about half of the extremely common tropes in anime for shounen. I admit he is emo at times, is simply a god compared to other characters, and tries to play both the comedic relief/ serious character. However his reasons for being emo are justified, he can not help being excellent at a specific skill he honed for years, and I generally enjoy the type of characters that can have a serious and funny side. He does stand out mostly by being different then most of the common shallow characters in shoenen anime who only excuse for fighting is protecting people in general, gets a power up every ten episodes, is amazing at a skill for no particular good reasons beyond being the chosen one, or has some combination of everything listed above.

Honestly I think he is a good character by anime standards and a welcome breath of air. Now if only the writer of SAO online didn't began the fan service quota half way through the first arc.
Dec 16, 2012 4:58 AM

Apr 2011
He can be badass at times but he is too overemotional.
Dec 16, 2012 11:49 AM

Aug 2008
eldon2 said:
I have nothing against Kirito because he only takes on about half of the extremely common tropes in anime for shounen. I admit he is emo at times, is simply a god compared to other characters, and tries to play both the comedic relief/ serious character. However his reasons for being emo are justified, he can not help being excellent at a specific skill he honed for years, and I generally enjoy the type of characters that can have a serious and funny side. He does stand out mostly by being different then most of the common shallow characters in shoenen anime who only excuse for fighting is protecting people in general, gets a power up every ten episodes, is amazing at a skill for no particular good reasons beyond being the chosen one, or has some combination of everything listed above.

Honestly I think he is a good character by anime standards and a welcome breath of air. Now if only the writer of SAO online didn't began the fan service quota half way through the first arc.

Actually I would argue his reasons for being an emo loner weren't justified. I mean his reason is "I found out the family I had isn't my real family, but they love me anyway...therefore I must close myself off from the world"

It's not like Sakamoto or Neku where the real world obviously hit them really hard.

Now I get it, it's not an unbelievable situation. But it's a bit of an overreaction and rather selfish.
hyperknees91Dec 16, 2012 11:53 AM
Dec 16, 2012 11:54 AM

Aug 2009
hyperknees91 said:

Now I get it, it's not an unbelievable situation. But it's a bit of an overreaction and rather selfish.
Well we have to move the story somehow.
Dec 16, 2012 11:58 AM

Aug 2008
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

I'm not saying that lawl. I'm just saying that his reason is hardly what you could call "justified"

I mean it's inherent in his character to be very self-centered so it does fit in with the story. So I'm not actually complaining.
Dec 16, 2012 12:06 PM

Aug 2009
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

I'm not saying that lawl. I'm just saying that his reason is hardly what you could call "justified"

I mean it's inherent in his character to be very self-centered so it does fit in with the story. So I'm not actually complaining.
I am complaining though.Not only SAO but many series give a reason that doesnt justify a char's actions.But we need those actions to let the story go on.The one think that I think "justifies" Kirito's actions is that he was 6 and emotionally stupid.But I doubt that he could "hack" and build pcs but he couldnt "understand his feelings".
Dec 16, 2012 12:13 PM

Apr 2012
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

I am complaining though.Not only SAO but many series give a reason that doesnt justify a char's actions.But we need those actions to let the story go on.The one think that I think "justifies" Kirito's actions is that he was 6 and emotionally stupid.But I doubt that he could "hack" and build pcs but he couldnt "understand his feelings".

This is bullshit, in every way you take it.

You can be a "prodigy" and know about everything that is practical like building a PC or hacking it, whatever, but that does not make you socially adapt OR mature.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Dec 16, 2012 12:22 PM

Aug 2009
Immahnoob said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

You can be a "prodigy" and know about everything that is practical like building a PC or hacking it, whatever, but that does not make you socially adapt OR mature.
It also doesnt make sense to close himself in his room since they DO love him.I mean they even talk about it with his aunt/mother but he thought that the best option was to ignore Sugu and become a socially awkward boy?I dont have a problem with what the author of SAO or any other author did since it hardly affects my enjoyment.I just see it as a way to make story develop.
Dec 16, 2012 12:23 PM
Oct 2012
ssjokg said:
Immahnoob said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

It also doesnt make sense to close himself in his room since they DO love him.I mean they even talk about it with his aunt/mother but he thought that the best option was to ignore Sugu and become a socially awkward boy?I dont have a problem with what the author of SAO or any other author did since it hardly affects my enjoyment.I just see it as a way to make story develop.

I don't think you choose to become socially awkward.
Dec 16, 2012 12:28 PM

Apr 2012
whatever123456 said:
ssjokg said:
Immahnoob said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

This, he was deluded about it...

Autocrat said:
Dec 16, 2012 12:29 PM

Aug 2009
whatever123456 said:
ssjokg said:
Immahnoob said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

The people around can affect you.If you ar being bullied you will either become like them,close yourself in,improve yourself etc it all depends on your character.Kazuto for some reason decided to "stay away" from others.Of course if I had a grandfather like he did I wouldnt exactly turn out to be normal.
Dec 16, 2012 12:32 PM

Aug 2008
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

I thought the series said he was 10 when he learned this? It is strange for him to grow up so inherently self-centered when he is obviously very loved by his family. If he was strange since he was a kid it would be one thing but I don't think that was ever brought up and this only happened after he found out.

Obviously this could have been fixed if his parents were a bit more...forceful with him (seriously why just let him embrace online games if it is causing a problem). As that is exactly is what SAO did for him and how he fixed his problems.
hyperknees91Dec 16, 2012 12:41 PM
Dec 16, 2012 12:41 PM

Aug 2009
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:
ssjokg said:
hyperknees91 said:

I thought the series said he was 10 when he learned this? It is strange for him to grow up so inherently self-centered when he is obviously very loved by his family. If he was strange since he was a kid it would be one thing but I don't think that was ever brought up and this only happened after he found out.
Sorry I mixed the "build his first pc" age with the "hacking" one.
Dec 16, 2012 12:46 PM

Apr 2012
I still don't see your point.

What does a 10 year old know about being loved or not? 10 year old kids don't understand jack shit about society or people.

Autocrat said:
Dec 16, 2012 12:57 PM

Aug 2008
Immahnoob said:

What does a 10 year old know about being loved or not? 10 year old kids don't understand jack shit about society or people.

I think it's just because the reason doesn't feel justified. This is kinda like how Kiritsugu in Fate/Zero wasn't really given a justifiable or sympathetic reason for being how he is.

The only reason really is, Kirito kinda is just inherently self-centered and Kiritsugu kinda is inherently crazy. Which is fine, but it does alienate them from the audience (some people like reasons).
Dec 16, 2012 12:58 PM

Aug 2009
Immahnoob said:

He himself says that he understood that they loved him.Seeing how he regrets his actions now I can only think that he just didnt want to deal with them for some reason even he cant understnad.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.