Forum Settings
Forums

Does watching anime make you more intelligent or be more insightful?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 13, 2012 7:15 PM
Apr 2009
animefan3 said:
good post OP, i agree it does give more insight to life. Some anime are very influential like Clannad and Clannad After Story (Excellent, Must Watch anime), I believe every children (if not person) should watch it! It is so meaningful, provides great view to life (ex. school boy life maturing to adult with responsibilities) within a beautiful, emotional, moving story and drama.
A lot of anime I rather NOT learn from.

Sure, Guts and Gintoki are good guys, but I wouldn't want to learn anything from them. Same goes for most other characters I like.
Dec 13, 2012 7:31 PM

Oct 2012
No, if anything it makes you dumber. Getting insight from anime is like reading a children's book and thinking, "When unicorns make people smile, the world becomes a better place!"
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 13, 2012 7:33 PM

Jan 2008
Apply your knowledge of anime in real life and see the magic happen.
Dec 13, 2012 7:35 PM

Jun 2009
katsucats said:
No, if anything it makes you dumber. Getting insight from anime is like reading a children's book and thinking, "When unicorns make people smile, the world becomes a better place!"

You are probably just joking. But, if you truly believe that, why do you even watch anime? Do you think Monster somehow made you more dumb by watching it? And, no, I'm not implying it somehow made anyone smart or anything either.
Ston3_FreeN7Dec 13, 2012 7:41 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 13, 2012 7:38 PM
Oct 2012
katsucats said:

The world DOES become a better place when unicorns make people smile. Why do you think otherwise?
Dec 13, 2012 7:46 PM

Feb 2012
You gain knowledge and experience from everything you do. Intelligent anime have the power to invoke insightful outlooks on life and complex situations just like any other medium of entertainment. It really just depends on the interpretation of the viewer though.
Dec 13, 2012 7:53 PM

Aug 2012
animefan3 said:
good post OP, i agree it does give more insight to life. Some anime are very influential like Clannad and Clannad After Story (Excellent, Must Watch anime), I believe every children (if not person) should watch it! It is so meaningful, provides great view to life (ex. school boy life maturing to adult with responsibilities) within a beautiful, emotional, moving story and drama.

Pretty much this. But most anime I watch just for entertainment. IF it's something enlightening or insightful, the feeling only lasts for a week. It's like watching education videos on YouTube. The initial warmth of feeling like you've gotten actually smarter, followed by the lack of behavior changing from it.

"But if we work together as one, we can save the world!" Yeah, too bad everyone's gotten that message yet fails to do so.
Dec 13, 2012 7:59 PM

Mar 2012
Like literature, western t.v/movies, and every other art form, it depends on what you choose to consume. Anime doesn't even come close to most other mediums in terms of sheer volume, so in that sense it may be more difficult to find intelligent stuff. But regardless, unless you're some sort of scholar with very specific interests, you should be able to find plenty of intellectually stimulating anime.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Dec 13, 2012 8:07 PM

Apr 2012
Anime can make me happy and have appreciation for a good story, but it's no intelligence booster.
Dec 13, 2012 8:13 PM
Oct 2012
quukii said:
Anime can make me happy and have appreciation for a good story, but it's no intelligence booster.

Actually I would disagree. Being exposed to a good story is better than not being exposed to a story, it helps one to acquire a toolbox of situations which can latter be applied to life. The more tools in the social toolbox one has, the better off they will become socially, and this is definitely a form of intelligence.
Dec 13, 2012 8:33 PM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
...It helps one to acquire a toolbox of situations which can latter be applied to life...

That sounds about right; I make sure to always say, "It's not what it looks like," and run to school with bread in my mouth.
Dec 13, 2012 8:37 PM

Nov 2011
If anything it only made me dumber.
The Art of Eight
Dec 13, 2012 8:53 PM

Dec 2009
Sure. I learned some things from anime like vocabulary and actually learned stuff from video games too.
You do actually get a little knowledge, but you'll rarely use it. Tho when you do its different since you learned it from an anime or manga.

It can be applied very well if your talking about the right subject.

You actually sometimes learn things about life depending on the animes theme if you looked in to the anime enough.
You have different views of things from anime, yes.

At least for me.

AND I wouldn't call it that it makes me you more "smart" but you do gain some knowledge and different views.
Dec 13, 2012 9:09 PM

Aug 2012
Soo for those who say anime makes you dumber...how exactly does that happen? i mean i'll admit there are some anime that makes you wanna slam your head against a wall but...oh wait nvm answered my own question lol.

On another note, any knowledge acquired makes you a little bit more intelligent. You know something that someone out there who has not watched anime probably does not know. If the little bits of knowledge you obtained outweighs the amount of brain cells lost from the slamming your head against a wall thing that i noted above, then we can safely assume you have grown a bit smarter (even if its just by .1%).
Dec 13, 2012 9:29 PM

Jun 2009
It made me more sympathetic toward both real people and events and fictional characters/events, and develop liking for cute stuff like teddy bears.

It's turning me into a girl.

Back in the days, I actually manage to laugh when I read about a little girl get her face bit by a rottweiler on the news paper... So I guess that's a good thing...
AirStylesDec 13, 2012 10:24 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2012 10:20 PM

Apr 2011
I wouldn't exactly say that it made me smarter, but it opened my mind up. I started to become more open-minded and I started to act more like myself instead of imitating others after having started to watch anime. Dumber? No. Smarter? No. More insightful? Perhaps.
Dec 13, 2012 10:25 PM

Jun 2009
Dec 13, 2012 10:25 PM

Sep 2012
No, but it sometimes help me with creativity which I guess indirectly makes me smarter. Also helps with reading speed > Bakemonogatari.
Dec 13, 2012 11:19 PM

Sep 2008
I haven't noticed anyone become smarter from anime, but I have seen a witnessed a few cases where it seems to have made someone dumber. In those cases, that person had an unusual fondness for everything Japanese, while denying any problems going on in Japan, and were stupidly loyal to friends and/or family and whatnot. So, in general, I suggest to try not to take anime or manga too seriously.
Dec 13, 2012 11:52 PM

Jan 2011
Tyestor said:
Only after watching LoGH.

Took pretty long before this appeared.

I have to wonder to those who watch A LOT of Detective Conan, if they eventually learn something or two about logic and cause, and hence better observation.

Same with Sherlock Holmes really, and other mystery for that matter.

The problem with most of these mystery shows is that you will only know the answer after it is presented because concrete evidence is never shown until the mystery is revealed which is a pretty big design direction.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Dec 14, 2012 12:07 AM

Apr 2012
I had an epiphany when watching Utena which gave me a new way of thinking about the world. So it certainly has for me.
Dec 14, 2012 12:09 AM

Jun 2007
It won't make you more intelligent - but it may very well give you new insight into things. Nana for example was so perfectly crafted, relateable, and real, that I saw myself in the cast (not self insert shit, but something more meaningful) and it actually helped me change myself for the better as it was the first time I was seeing these aspects of myself from an outside perspective. It gave me new insight into who I was (in some aspects) and some of the reasons why I was that way which really helped me deal with them way better than I had prior.
Dec 14, 2012 12:10 AM

Sep 2012
The only thing that I learned from anime is that yelling makes you stronger.

That and that any female friend that you've had since childhood probably has a crush on you.
Dec 14, 2012 12:13 AM

Nov 2009
No, Not at all and anyone who believes they have learned through anime is fucking retarded, you learn one real fact while learning thousands of fictional things not too mention any philosophy or psychology you derive from anime is almost always half-assed and contradictory of itself later on in the series...

Also I mentioned earlier you might actually learn something ... Gratz it took you 30 minutes to learn one fact, if only you could move that fast in school, oh wait... Basically it is like watching TV (not documentaries) or Video Games ... Believing you have learned something maybe true but your belief that it is a good way of learning would be fucking retarded, just read a book, one sentence can literally be more insightful than an entire anime series in some cases... It's a past time for entertainment, don't try and give anime an educational value.

Also the way they speak is odd as fuck so don't think you are learning Japanese Dialogue either, and learning how to speak without learning grammar or how to read/write is sort of ... worthless.
Dec 14, 2012 12:18 AM

Jan 2011
I think anime like Mushishi presents unique ideas in a very different perspective that allows you to think more. But anime is 99% for entertainment not education.
Dec 14, 2012 12:29 AM

Dec 2012
More insightful, cause certain titles make you pause and ponder.

*My Profile || Signature by Jeav || I am a part οf The Invisibles. || My Anime List*
Dec 14, 2012 3:54 AM

Aug 2012
I don't think watching anime will make you necessarily intelligent. I do however believe that it may make you more insightful. There are lots of thought provoking anime out there.
Dec 14, 2012 4:01 AM

Sep 2012
you guys are all retarded, i started watching TTGL and my level of intelligence was comparable to that of a young child, by the time i finished i had a PHD in biology, physics, aerospace engineering and advanced mathematics, i could compute 128+ digit multiplication and division sums within my head on the fly, i could memorize every single number in the phone book in 34 seconds and i managed to open up a line of communication with god himself through a rip in space and time i engineered myself.

plebs.
Dec 14, 2012 4:08 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
Anime can't rly make you more intelligent but it can make you think ideas that you hadn't till then. Now, the people who say they have learnt a lot through anime (and especially that pathetic meme about how anime has taught people about friendship and never giving up and blah blah), clearly they never had some decent contact with the people in their life (people with traumatic childhoods etc are excluded).

Anime works just like another kind of media. If you start thinking anime has given you a lot of things in matter of ideas and behaviors, you haven't lived a very full life and not thinking much either~
Dec 14, 2012 4:12 AM

Oct 2012
After watching Death Note I started to think everything logically, so in a way it made me smarter O_o
Dec 14, 2012 4:13 AM

Aug 2012
natssuu said:
After watching Death Note I started to think everything logically, so in a way it made me smarter O_o

So you never though logically before watching Death Note :/
Dec 14, 2012 4:29 AM

Oct 2012
croset said:
natssuu said:

So you never though logically before watching Death Note :/

I was about 14 years old when I watched it for the first time, so I wasn't that logical back then xD
Dec 14, 2012 5:53 AM

Feb 2010
Zmffkskem said:

Took pretty long before this appeared.

I have to wonder to those who watch A LOT of Detective Conan, if they eventually learn something or two about logic and cause, and hence better observation.

Same with Sherlock Holmes really, and other mystery for that matter.

The problem with most of these mystery shows is that you will only know the answer after it is presented because concrete evidence is never shown until the mystery is revealed which is a pretty big design direction.

It's whodunit. The challenge has always been on the viewers, they are supposed to solve the mystery themselves before the solution is revealed. Sufficient clues will be provided to aid you even though most of the times these can be very subtle. It doesn't work well if the solution requires in-depth scientific knowledge when you are not an expert in this given field.

In some sense, this is akin to your typical IQ puzzle. I love it when the puzzles involves logical explanation on human psychology. The mind games. They may not be as deep and diverse as Thirty-Six Stratagems but it's always interesting to deduce the killer from his restrained/unnatural behaviours.
Dec 14, 2012 6:38 AM
May 2009
Dec 14, 2012 9:50 AM

Mar 2011
Depends on the anime. In most cases though:

The People of Mal said:

No
Dec 14, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 2012
It may seem like you're improving, but after a while it will either go back to the way it was or plummet :)
Dec 14, 2012 1:43 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
No, I make anime more insightful. Think about that one...
Dec 14, 2012 2:00 PM
Aug 2012
Hmm well I think if an anime has caused you to actually think about what's presented (so thought provoking; and more than thoughts about boob psychics or dfc if you go that way), or increased your ability to critically think, or prompted you to some self-realisation/insight, or prompted you to read more about a subject (or be like me - and go - I'll be sure to put that book on my ever growing 'books I ought to read before I die' list - Tale of Genji I'm lookin at you; same with the 100 poets), or got you interested in a particular subject (who knows - perhaps Tales of Agriculture got you interested in the wonderful world of bacteria), or increased your 'emotional intelligence'......then sure anime has made you smarter. Or at least opened the door to that possibility.
toomuchcoffeeDec 14, 2012 2:08 PM
Dec 14, 2012 2:40 PM

Jan 2010
Depends on what you're watching and how you watch it.

That being said, taking anime that seriously has to be a pitfall trap for something. I'm not sure what though.
May 6, 2013 1:35 PM
Jul 2012
bump!

Anyway, Yes it does makes me more insightful me. Some shows like clannad helps me alot. And makes it better in my future.
May 6, 2013 1:38 PM

Aug 2012
GoldenBRS said:
bump!
*sigh*

I dunno if I already posted here, but lemme throw in a probably different opinion: It doesn't make me smarter, but it gives me interesting perspectives on things. I've changed my outlook on life, that's for sure.

As for intelligence, I usually get a brain boost watching educational videos on YouTube. Whoo!
May 6, 2013 1:41 PM
May 2010
No.
But it sure cured me of my gaming addiction.
May 6, 2013 1:42 PM

Oct 2012
MellowJello said:

I dunno if I already posted here, but lemme throw in a probably different opinion: It doesn't make me smarter, but it gives me interesting perspectives on things. I've changed my outlook on life, that's for sure.

As for intelligence, I usually get a brain boost watching educational videos on YouTube. Whoo!

I would have to fully agree there. Especially the part where I get interesting perspectives. Sure though, I DO learn a thing or two if I really become invested, but it falls under the "useless" knowledge file cabinet in my brain.
LanaNi said:
No.
But it sure cured me of my gaming addiction.

Hey, same here! Now look where we are...

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 6, 2013 2:40 PM

Mar 2012
I've only gotten dumber since I started watching anime
May 6, 2013 2:51 PM

Oct 2012
SlothNamakemono said:

Ya .. substitute one for the other. But it's certainly more productive if you watch one's like NGE.

...until you find out all that 'research' about that series turns out to be bullshit >.>
Anno: "All that symbolism was there because it was cool"

Though, looking into all those crazy analysis is intriguing.

May 6, 2013 2:51 PM

Jul 2012
Hmm...On one hand, I think the smarter the person the more likely they are to watch anime. But does anime itself improve intelligence? Well, I'd say that anime is a more intelligent form of programming, because unlike things like gameshows and TV sitcoms the shows are smarter and have storylines that may require thinking about, which in turn could potentially make the viewer smarter. I'm not sure.
At the same time, I have a hard time believing that anime has that much of an effect. It might depend upon the anime.
May 6, 2013 2:59 PM

Aug 2012
A lot of people are saying "no".
May I remind any fellow americans about "short stories" in english class.
I guess one could say "neither are thought provoking". I'l buy that.
Even though I personally have found numerous anime more thought provoking than anything my school has ever offered.

I'd say there's quite a few insightful anime&manga out there. A lot(not all) of the ones I rated 10 are because I either learned or confirmed something(about people&life) from them. Just saiyan.
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
May 6, 2013 3:04 PM

Oct 2012
Ghostony said:
A lot of people are saying "no".
May I remind any fellow americans about "short stories" in english class.
I guess one could say "neither are thought provoking". I'l buy that.
Even though I personally have found numerous anime more thought provoking than anything my school has ever offered.

I'd say there's quite a few insightful anime&manga out there. A lot(not all) of the ones I rated 10 are because I either learned or confirmed something(about people&life) from them. Just saiyan.

I think one of the reasons the literature offered in school is no longer 'thought provoking' is because it's not from our generation. When something like The Awakening spout up, it sure did made some light bulbs flicker on. Nowadays, it doesn't really offer the same impact, for obvious reasons, as it no longer inspires us when it's a past issue society dealt with long ago.
A more current medium, such as anime, can easily offer a great 'life lesson' because it's more 'in the now'; it's understandable why the stuff you read/watch in school makes you feel apathetic.

May 6, 2013 3:07 PM

Oct 2012
No more then any other medium I guess. That being said, like any other form of story telling they can give you different view points and perspectives to look at things, but it is ultimately what a person decides to take out of it.

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's the worst anime year? ( 1 2 3 )

Hira1 - Nov 26, 2020

111 by Spunkert »»
42 seconds ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

32 by BatoKusanagi »»
7 minutes ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 9 minutes ago

0 by VeryRedBags »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

85 by Hitagi__Furude »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.