Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime of Adventure Game 'DanganRonpa' Announced

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 7, 2012 12:38 PM

Jun 2009
This sounds very interesting. Much better then the anime announced recently.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Dec 7, 2012 12:46 PM

Sep 2011
Suzune-chan said:
This sounds very interesting. Much better then the anime announced recently.
If it is true to the VN and it doesnt mess up the pacing then this show could be one of the smartest anime in years.

I am worried about how this will be adapted, unlike other vn's it has nothing to do with routes or any of that, I'm just worried about pacing, i dont want them to sacrifice any character development to fit a set number of episodes. Especially since the game did a great job at giving the player breathing moments with the characters for development. There were free time evnts that you could chose to spend with a character of your choice but they can almost all be skipped so im k forfitting some of them but a lot of them made some character even more likable than they already were especially this guy who's free time events were hilarious
http://myanimelist.net/character/65533/Yasuhiro_Hagakure

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 7, 2012 1:24 PM
Jan 2010
ImagineThat said:
puella-magi said:
While this is wonderful news, I can't help but wonder how they're going to handle the court scenes.

By court scenes we talking judge,jury defense and prosecution?

Pretty much, but there are certain mechanics involved when it comes to progressing through said scenes. Like having a sort of beatbox battle through pressing buttons at the right time when someone isn't listening to the protagonist, trying to eliminate people talking over you so you can pick out contradictions, not to mention a kana game. You can also speed up and slow down time amongst other things.

Kishi Seiji managed to incorporate some of Persona 4's mechanics into the anime, so if he's a fan of DR it wouldn't surprise me if he did the same here.
Dec 7, 2012 1:29 PM

Sep 2011
puella-magi said:
ImagineThat said:
puella-magi said:
While this is wonderful news, I can't help but wonder how they're going to handle the court scenes.

By court scenes we talking judge,jury defense and prosecution?

Pretty much, but there are certain mechanics involved when it comes to progressing through said scenes. Like having a sort of beatbox battle through pressing buttons at the right time when someone isn't listening to the protagonist, trying to eliminate people talking over you so you can pick out contradictions, not to mention a kana game. You can also speed up and slow down time amongst other things.

Kishi Seiji managed to incorporate some of Persona 4's mechanics into the anime, so if he's a fan of DR it wouldn't surprise me if he did the same here.
Yah it will be cool to see how they handle the court scenes, though for the debates i wonder if they will include the VHS rewind thing the game had. Otherwise i think they will just have the debates play out and nagei will call out the contradiction after they are done talking

I'm wondering about the executions in 1 way, without spoiling things the final execution in the game was due to budget problems, there was a original unique to the situation execution set up that had to be left on the cutting room floor. I wonder if we will finally get to see that unused execution. Though id be ok without it seeing as the execution we did get was freaking amazing.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 7, 2012 1:59 PM

Feb 2012
first good adaption in a while... really interesting.
wow this is cool
Dec 7, 2012 2:19 PM

Jan 2012
The visuals look great and the synopsis seems very interesting.
i should enjoy this :D
Dec 7, 2012 2:25 PM

Sep 2008
Um.. so I was looking through the character descriptions... Is this person really a dude?

http://myanimelist.net/character/66573/Chihiro_Fujisaki
Dec 7, 2012 2:44 PM

Sep 2011
Knil said:

No thats a girl, guess its a typo, the thread that translated this game in full says its a girl as well if you need proof
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447397&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
scroll down after the introductory post frm the op orenronin for characters, chirhiro is in the female section listing. Just a fair warning, thankfully only 1 is there but avoid the descriptions for the most part as there is one really huge spoiler in one of them.

Spoilers from the game, do not look under any circumstances if you have not played the game
JizzyHitlerDec 7, 2012 4:20 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 7, 2012 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
oh btw, if anyone is interested in what the executions are like, they have a non spoiler execution that plays in the very beginning of the game as you hit new game, its not of any major character and doesnt make any sense until the end of the 5th chapter so its not going to ruin anything

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLRl9HBE7PWA

I do reccomend not clicking the link straight to youtube as something in the related might ruin later parts as well as may end up sticking dangan ronpa related spoilers in your related features, did i mention this game is one of the easiest things to spoil, cause trust me on that it is.

As you can tell the excutions are over the top and are chocked full of dark comedy, some of the legit ones of actual characters are quite gruesome actually so dont let this somewhat comedic tone and lack of blood in this one lower your expectations of future executions.
JizzyHitlerDec 7, 2012 2:56 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 7, 2012 2:54 PM

Sep 2007
Am I dreaming. Is Dangan Ronpa really getting an anime. D: It's like all my anime dreams are coming true lately.
Dec 7, 2012 4:25 PM

Jan 2011
oh wow, i was just getting interested in the game series but was heavily disappointed when i learned that there was no english verson

woohoo! the cast looks so colorful and reminds me of the 999 series, which i adore
Dec 7, 2012 4:52 PM

Sep 2011
Lulu-chama said:
oh wow, i was just getting interested in the game series but was heavily disappointed when i learned that there was no english verson

woohoo! the cast looks so colorful and reminds me of the 999 series, which i adore
There was a full translated lp of it on the something awful forums that helped a bunch of poor saps like me read the entire game from start to finish including all the music, and voice clips for the court trial scenes(only part of the game minus a few moments with VA's,)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447397&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I dont know if waiting for the anime or reading the VN now is the better choice to do. All i can say is either way dont look up anything on this game or its sequel if you dont want to get anything spoiled, As i said a tirllion times, this may be the easiest story to spoil i have ever seen, well apparently DR2 is much easier to spoil which doesnt help

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 7, 2012 5:03 PM

Dec 2009
Huh, this might be pretty interesting.
Dec 7, 2012 5:08 PM

Jul 2010
as long as ppl dont whine and complain if their expectations don't get fulfilled, with the exception if they actually do mess up how the plot is goin. with how interesting the plot sounds (seems like ppl are only interested if ppl die) i feel things might not go exactly how the VN played out

Dec 7, 2012 5:54 PM

Sep 2011
supermegasonic said:
(seems like ppl are only interested if ppl die)
Thats kind of a given, was there really any doubt that this wouldnt happen? They were not going to waste a premise like this on not offing anyone. They just dont off someone every 5 seconds which i dont think people would find that big a problem with or any at all. like You actually give a shit when someone dies, hell with the exception of 1 person even the people who did the murder's are very likable because they dont off everyone fast and actually develop them,

I think the only worry about the adaptation is the pacing,. which i can see working the more i think about it, the first chapter+ prologue can be done in 4 episodes(1 ep for prologue, 1 ep for (ab)normal days, 1 for Abnormal days, adn the last for the court room trial), the next chapter could be done in about 5 maybe, 3rd chap is quite short in comparison and can be done in about 4 skipping the free time events, chap 4-6 are where pacing will need alot of episodes to convey both due to them being long and serving as the chapters that answer all the questions, i just think chap 5 should have at least like 7-8 episodes, chap 6 can be done in about 3-4 episodes, If they follow this pacing the game can easily fit into 24-26 episodes

This VN has an advantage over most adaptations since this has a linear plot and no branching paths outside of free time events where you can chill with the characters who are alive at the time and talk about things that dont really have anything to do with recent plot advancements. So there is a much lower chance of fucking things up like other VN adaptations. And they really cant change anything major especially the body count since all of it ties into DR2 and DR0.

I have Faith in this but im not going to overblow my hype to proportions that lead to disappointment. I just really want this show to get as popular as the game's did so that there may be a bigger chance of bringing it to the west. hell im going to be pleased just hearing the voice actors speak outside of courtoom trials
JizzyHitlerDec 7, 2012 6:00 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 8, 2012 4:02 AM

Sep 2012
YES! FINALLY! After all the waiting that the something awful forums put me through with the epic lets play of this game I will finally be able to see my favorite VN in anime form. My life is finally complete. WORDS CAN'T EXPRESS THE HAPPINESS *^.^*
Dec 8, 2012 6:15 AM

Sep 2011
Mikuo_Chan said:
YES! FINALLY! After all the waiting that the something awful forums put me through with the epic lets play of this game I will finally be able to see my favorite VN in anime form. My life is finally complete. WORDS CAN'T EXPRESS THE HAPPINESS *^.^*
Agreed, I'm actually really happy to see just how many people participated in the DR lp on something awful. I honestly think i may of enjoyed it more than if i played the game since orenronin had some amazing cliffhangers and the fanart and in jokes from the in between discussions were hilarious.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 8, 2012 9:23 AM

Dec 2011
I've waited all my life for an anime of Dangan Ronpa! Now I can die happy!
Dec 8, 2012 9:28 AM
Jan 2010
YEESSSS!!! I KNEW IT WAS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME!!!
Dec 8, 2012 9:37 AM

Sep 2011
ChonyCholy said:
You're only 2 years old?

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 8, 2012 6:10 PM

Dec 2011
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
ChonyCholy said:
You're only 2 years old?

'I've waited just 2 years for an anime of Dangan Ronpa! Now I can die happy!'
Alright?!
Dec 9, 2012 12:47 PM

Aug 2011
Wow, cool, mystery and adventure. I'll be watching this for sure.
Dec 9, 2012 12:57 PM

Apr 2010
Doesn't sound too special, but I'll give it a try I guess.
Dec 9, 2012 7:04 PM

Sep 2011
itsvero said:
Wow, cool, mystery and adventure. I'll be watching this for sure.
adventure isnt really there, the entire story takes place inside the school, but after each murder is solved a new floor of the school is opened up to explore with a few off limit rooms, There is exploration but dont expect some epic adventure across multiple areas as the entire story does take place in 1 place(albeit lots of diversity in said 1 building) , it could count as adventure but barely.

Also there isnt any action unlike the tags suggest,Not sure where that comes from, especially since on 1 of the murders actually plays out like a fight and the executions are really the closest it comes to one.

The stuff the story really has is more like drama, comedy, sci-fi, mystery, physiological, thriller and while not warranting a tag it has some romance (key word some, its there just dont expect alot and doesnt really start showing up till the 2nd half). Mystery goes for both the murder's and also the overarching plot and figuring out just what the fuck is going on
JizzyHitlerDec 9, 2012 7:10 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 10, 2012 3:44 AM

Nov 2011
Mirai Nikki meets Battle Royale? I'm in.
Dec 10, 2012 11:39 AM

Jul 2012
I'm so happy about this finished playing the games on psp and it was amazing it never failed to give that dark feeling if you thought persona had a dark style check this game out , I always thought the story was really good that it deserved an anime adaptation this is a smart move and the series will finally become more popular
Dec 10, 2012 12:22 PM

Sep 2011
Amon-Raw said:
I'm so happy about this finished playing the games on psp and it was amazing it never failed to give that dark feeling if you thought persona had a dark style check this game out , I always thought the story was really good that it deserved an anime adaptation this is a smart move and the series will finally become more popular
The series is already huge in japan, I think orenronin on the something awful dr forums aid the sequel broke the half million sales mark in japan. I just hope with the anime adaption the story will spread to the west a bit more

neontaster said:
Its more like phoenix wright meets battle royale.
JizzyHitlerDec 10, 2012 12:25 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 10, 2012 12:36 PM

Jul 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Amon-Raw said:
The series is already huge in japan, I think orenronin on the something awful dr forums aid the sequel broke the half million sales mark in japan. I just hope with the anime adaption the story will spread to the west a bit more

neontaster said:

Ya it is more like Phoenix wright .
Also I doubt they will release this game in NA or any of the series because of how poor the psp is doing right now in the west however the market for psp in japan is still huge although when corpse party was brought over to the west it was a success but now most companies don't want to take chances with pirating and they are finding it hard to appeal to the west gamers sadly :(
Lol wow Dj both of our profile pics just randomly changed
Amon-RawDec 10, 2012 12:41 PM
Dec 10, 2012 2:59 PM

Sep 2011
Amon-Raw said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Amon-Raw said:

neontaster said:

Ya it is more like Phoenix wright .
Also I doubt they will release this game in NA or any of the series because of how poor the psp is doing right now in the west however the market for psp in japan is still huge although when corpse party was brought over to the west it was a success but now most companies don't want to take chances with pirating and they are finding it hard to appeal to the west gamers sadly :(
Lol wow Dj both of our profile pics just randomly changed
Well the game is on ios so i was going more for that, in addition to a psp, psvita, or 3ds it doesnt have any problems with 1 thing holding it back for a western release. Especially when you take note of how the lp of this game on something awful started to attract attention from quite a lot of people externally from the site and ended up becoming the most participated thread on the entire site a few times

Also if this ever gets dubbed, i vote laura baily plays(spoiler character)

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 10, 2012 5:39 PM

Sep 2011
Oren ronin on the something awful thread says the voice cast will be the same as the game including Nobuyo Ooyama as Monobear. This marks her return to TV for the first time since she quit Doraemon in 2005, which is bound to get the series some publicity in Japan.

also monobear(or monokuma or whatever) has a slightly different design

original design

new design

He looks more like a squishy cuddly teddy bear in the newer one.....it creeps me out more.....so already its doing a better job than the game

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 10, 2012 6:21 PM

Jun 2010
This looks interesting enough. Will watch & possibly pick the game as well.
Dec 31, 2012 9:51 AM

Jul 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Well the game is on ios so i was going more for that, in addition to a psp, psvita, or 3ds it doesnt have any problems with 1 thing holding it back for a western release. Especially when you take note of how the lp of this game on something awful started to attract attention from quite a lot of people externally from the site and ended up becoming the most participated thread on the entire site a few times

Psp is dead in the west man look at all the game corporations that are scared to lose money by selling to the west mainly because Japans games are for some reason are not appealing to a majority of the west. Any popular games that were released for the psp in 2012 in the west?
Also the PSVita is doing poorly in sales in fact Japan is still making more money from the psp thus why many companies have jumped to 3DS or stick to the PSP.
Also the amount of pirating in the west is extremely high and the ios version your talking about was a port after the original release on the psp . The psp is already in the hands of many Japanese so it makes it easier to sell recent games rather than on the PsVita in which not many people have.
Dec 31, 2012 6:24 PM

Sep 2011
Amon-Raw said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Psp is dead in the west man look at all the game corporations that are scared to lose money by selling to the west mainly because Japans games are for some reason are not appealing to a majority of the west. Any popular games that were released for the psp in 2012 in the west?
Also the PSVita is doing poorly in sales in fact Japan is still making more money from the psp thus why many companies have jumped to 3DS or stick to the PSP.
Also the amount of pirating in the west is extremely high and the ios version your talking about was a port after the original release on the psp . The psp is already in the hands of many Japanese so it makes it easier to sell recent games rather than on the PsVita in which not many people have.
I-phone, DR is on IOS

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jan 1, 2013 11:11 AM

Jul 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
]I-phone, DR is on IOS

LOL I KNOW I said it's just a port though the whole series main platform is the psp which is why I think it's unlikely that it would be localized
Feb 1, 2013 11:57 AM

Jan 2011
Wow I didn't even see the announcement until now, really great game. The director did the P4 adaption so I have no worries.
[center]
Feb 17, 2013 8:47 AM

Feb 2011
i wanna see ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Apr 20, 2013 3:27 AM

Jun 2010
When will it air??
i'm so excited about it ^^
Apr 20, 2013 5:16 AM

Aug 2012
panik95 said:
When will it air??
i'm so excited about it ^^

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=567553
.................................................................................
May 10, 2013 6:35 AM

Nov 2012
Is there any reason why the anime name is so long on MAL...?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought 'Dangan Ronpa - The Animation' would suffice.

May 10, 2013 6:39 AM

Sep 2012
Ellamenopea said:
Is there any reason why the anime name is so long on MAL...?
Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought 'Dangan Ronpa - The Animation' would suffice.
I think the policy in MAL is to use the full name in the database.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 10, 2013 10:42 PM

Aug 2011
I'm plenty excited about this! I've been waiting for a translation patch for the game to be released, and it shouldn't be much longer now. Thinking about playing the game before watching the anime though, because it is an adaptation, so I want to judge it based on how well the game is actually adapted and deconstructed into several episodes rather than just a stand-alone anime. The game sounds really interesting so I hope it's done justice.
May 12, 2013 1:57 AM

May 2010
I love survival titles..Hoping for your favorite character tosurvive is soooo..evil
Jun 27, 2013 12:31 PM
Feb 2013
The translation for the game came out recently. Played the first murder case and i'm absolutely in love. Will definitely give the anime a watch.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 2 hours ago

1 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

45 by Memore »»
11 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
Yesterday, 6:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.