Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 15, 2008 1:30 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So what did everyone think? Poor Mai, now her brother is gone! :(
Retro8bitNov 15, 2008 8:00 PM
Nov 17, 2008 9:02 AM

Feb 2008
Holy shit, this was easily the best episode so far. Akira lost her child which resulted in Takumi dying, which led to Mai going berserk and killing Mikoto. Wow, I never expected this to happen. I wonder what Mai is going to do now.
Nov 23, 2008 1:16 PM

Jun 2008
Oh my god... I would never have expected it to turn out like that. Really excellent drama.
Am I the only one thinking that Reito isn't up to anything good?
Nov 24, 2008 4:27 PM

Jul 2008
Miluiel said:
Oh my god... I would never have expected it to turn out like that. Really excellent drama.

Nah, I think that is obvious. (I haven't watch further either, that wasn't a spoiler).
Dec 12, 2008 6:49 AM

Dec 2008
Well, its finally happened...I've just been waiting for Mikoto to lose all her restraints and freaking go berserk because with a child like Kagutsuchi you just know that it had to happen eventually. All she needed was for those closest to her to get taken out of the picture, this is gonna be awesome.
And I've believed for a while that Reito and the President are up to no good.
Jan 11, 2009 12:25 PM

May 2008
I can't believe that Mikoto is really dead...
Mar 22, 2009 5:49 AM

Jan 2008
The drama killed me ;__;
Apr 29, 2009 4:23 PM

Mar 2009
Quite the episode... Alot happened. I really don't like Ishigami the teacher manipulating Yukariko and I think she is cowardly or stupid fopr letting him do it so easily.
Jun 22, 2009 3:25 AM

Jun 2009
The entire 2nd half has been spectacular so far. I had Mai Hime pegged as a 7 before, but now it's an easy nine. I've never ever seen a show improve this much. But, also it sheds new light on the happy tone of the early episodes. Good stuff.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 17, 2009 8:35 PM
Aug 2008
pacostuart said:
Quite the episode... Alot happened. I really don't like Ishigami the teacher manipulating Yukariko and I think she is cowardly or stupid fopr letting him do it so easily.

I think the Japanese haven't met many Western nuns.

I've never known a weak-willed Christian nun. Angry, yes. Unreasonable, yes. Misandrist and mysogynist, yes. But not weak-willed.

By the way, I said that I didn't feel sorry for Mai in Episode 19.

Now I feel sorry for Mai, her teenage years officially suck worse than average.
Aug 3, 2009 4:07 PM

Jun 2009
Oh common MAi is tatally responsible for all this. Furthermore since Mikodo love Mai that much how come Mai didn't disappear too.
Aug 23, 2009 11:22 PM

Feb 2008
meneope said:
Oh common MAi is tatally responsible for all this. Furthermore since Mikodo love Mai that much how come Mai didn't disappear too.

exactly, thats how we know she's still alive
Sep 29, 2009 2:17 AM
Jan 2009
But Mikoto loves her brother too, and we still don't know who he is.

I refuse to believe that poor, loveable Mikoto is dead. I refuse to believe it.
Oct 3, 2009 1:08 AM

Jul 2009
One of the best episodes =). Poor Mai, she has lost her brother... The most interesting part begins =).

Oct 8, 2009 12:19 PM

Jun 2008
I give points to Mai-Hime for not being afraid to kill characters when they need to make drama.
Personally i don't feel that strong of Mikoto being dead. Mai-Hime really turned to a complete drama. Loved the angry face of Mai, she really looked badass.

Miluiel said:

Yeah he seemed suspicious to me from the start.
Dec 10, 2009 6:36 AM

Jul 2009
It certainty that Reito is up to something like that Sensei who manipulated that Sister..sigh every almost every male in this series is irritated me
Dec 30, 2009 9:35 PM

Nov 2007
What a depressing episode @_@ Takumi is gone Mikoto might be gone and everyone is sad =/ but Mikoto's brother is Lord Kokuyou O_O is Reito possibly Lord Kokuyou I wonder =O
May 23, 2010 8:08 PM

Jun 2008
insan3soldiern said:
The entire 2nd half has been spectacular so far. I had Mai Hime pegged as a 7 before, but now it's an easy nine. I've never ever seen a show improve this much. But, also it sheds new light on the happy tone of the early episodes. Good stuff.

Seriously. I put this show On-Hold from episode 6 like a year ago, then again from 8 about half a year ago, and now I'm wondering what I was thinking. Back then I would have rated this 6 (I think I actually did, too), but now it'll almost definitely be 8-9.

meneope said:
Furthermore since Mikodo love Mai that much how come Mai didn't disappear too.

This is why I am not convinced Mikoto is dead. Mai seemed like the person that would disappear from Mikoto's death, so the fact that Mai is still alive makes me suspect Mikoto must have survived.
Jul 13, 2010 6:33 PM

Jan 2010
Wow s**t hits the fan really quick. This is truly getting awesome!
Jul 26, 2010 7:03 PM

Nov 2009
O.O Big shock. I didn't expect Mikoto to go down right after Akira/Tatsumi. Was anyone else rejoicing at seeing Mai's face contort in rage? Biting her lip? I have not been that satisfied since the first few times i watched a shounen lead go super-saiyen.
Jul 31, 2010 5:59 PM

Aug 2009
That episode just pushed my score from an 8/10 to a 9/10 ^^

Jan 1, 2011 4:49 PM

Dec 2008
rreggiebryant1 said:
meneope said:

exactly, thats how we know she's still alive

That's an interesting point. I suppose it's vaguely possible that Mikoto's brother evaporated wherever he is, but Mikito's relationship with Mai has been developed throughout the show. Ergo, she somehow survived an apparent fireball to the face

At any rate, exciting stuff. I had planned to go to bed early tonight, but I'm definitely marathoning the rest now.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Mar 15, 2012 2:41 PM

Aug 2010
Crazy! I'm loving where this is going and excited to see where we end up.
Mar 25, 2012 1:32 AM
Sep 2010
Naruchan said:
But Mikoto loves her brother too, and we still don't know who he is.

Wait, so the Japanese version doesn't say who her brother is?
Aug 3, 2012 9:26 PM

Dec 2011
I hope Mikoto isn't really dead. Mai's angry face scared me a little.
Sep 4, 2012 1:07 PM
Aug 2012
Well...Fuck 0.0
Sep 18, 2012 10:24 PM

Sep 2012

Steam ID - Infernox755
Apr 28, 2013 10:13 PM

Mar 2013
if mikoto died then.... her brother died? but i feel like she loved mai a lot too... so couldn't mai die? then who dies for her? tate?

and takumi dieing this early made me sad, but not for mai's sake but for akira's. Lastly who was it in the earlyer episode who had the same pendant as mikoto? because one of them has to die but i feel like the other person was important too
"Stop whining, all I did was chop off your stupid legs."
May 19, 2013 3:50 AM
May 2013
That was out of left field until I saw Mikoto go berserk then I knew that was going to happen. Reita has been suspicious since day one, hell did nobody see him look to the smoon Aren't Hime the only ones who can see it?

It getting better and better each episode. Tenser with more drama and almost no comedy.After episode 8 I could see how Magic Makoda references this.
Jun 29, 2013 6:04 AM

Jul 2012
oh f@ck this! It could be the drink talking, but I'm kinda wanting Mai to just kill everyone and reduce the world to ashes at this point.

also... even when she's sleeping Shiho still has crazy eyes.... kill her, and kill her soon
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Sep 13, 2013 5:29 AM

May 2013
YES! Finally! This is finally getting rid of the shit characters, god fucking yes! Takumi was the worst pseudo-yaoi pandering character in Mai HiME, finally!

I wonder if they'll kill Mai too, that would be great! Now we can finally focus on the less stupid characters like Mikoto and Chizuru x Natsuki (who's just there to be a fanservice object and be useless with those tiny ass guns)!
MizusiSep 13, 2013 5:38 AM
Oct 27, 2014 4:08 AM

Aug 2010
Didn't see that coming. Great episode :)
Jun 4, 2015 12:21 AM
Apr 2015
Wow - this show all of the sudden turns on full gear! I certainly didn't pick Takumi to exit that early, nor Mikoto - although chances are Mikoto is still alive since Mai is likely the one to disappear if Mikoto was defeated.

This episode makes up for all the deficiency of this anime up to this point. Fucking epic!

It's pretty clear who the Obsidian Prince is now. I wonder how much he knew before this (chances are he did since he is one of those too good to be true character), since they refer to him being "awaken".
Aug 14, 2015 3:19 PM

Dec 2014
Fuck Takumi, Mai and Akira: MIKOTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! IDONT WANT HER TO DIEE!
Tonikaku, shes prolly not dead since Mai is still alive. I think Natsuki saved her.
MY GOD! this shiw is amazing now! thats why they call it the Madoka's precedent
Love... hurts... so...
Jun 22, 2016 2:02 PM

Feb 2014

Haha that's for sure xD

Awesome battles and music, really good drama, but above all else a super sad episode :( First Akira gets defeated so bye bye my favorite HiME :( resulting in Takumi's death, and then Mai goes ballistic and battles Mikoto. Finally, when Mikoto shows her remorse and her desire for peace with Mai, causing Mai to stop fighting her, Kagutsuchi throws a fireball straight at Mikoto!

So this is one of those episodes that I watched on its own multiple times before rewatching the series as I am now, and dang, I'm even just now starting to understand certain parts! I used to think that Akira and Takumi just kept getting lost in the forest, but no, that was St. Vlas and Sister Yukariko making illusions again! And this never really bothered me before but New HiME and Kiyohime (purple squid-snake child) come in to block Mikoto's spikes, beat up kagutsuchi a bit, then...disappear? They just kinda left without a trace there o.o But in any case, wonderful episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2016 3:57 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Dear god, I m really hating those that are being shadows engeniring this madness! First the nun, due to that ass of a scientist, then Mikoto goes berseck when she sees that Crow from that unknown Hime (probably Shihua), and loses her mind, that necklace she has isnt helping, probably cuz her brother, obsidian prince is an asshole, and in her lust for destruction she managed to kill takumi, and oh my god! The world is going crazy right, this is descontruction at its finest, mindfuck after mindfuck. Mai killed Mikoto?! And now that asshole obsidian prince is going to try and mess up more with Mai.
Nao, should just get killed ASAP, she was the first one to go mad beyond recover, she will just make matters worst now.

All said, what an amazing episode, this one get a 9.
I hope the show keeps this level of quality till the end, cuz this is surely hard to top!
Jul 5, 2016 1:28 PM

Jul 2015
Mikoto and Shiho are really very clingy characters, Mikota was as obsessed with Mai about as much as Shiho is with Tate. This series is becoming very sad now, with certain characters losing there loved ones. I feel bad for Mikoto too, though, she seems very innocent and loves Mai, but really irritated her.
Aug 8, 2016 8:14 AM

Feb 2014
Remember kids, being autistic can kill people. But really though, as annoying as Mikoto was, she shouldn't have died like that.
I'm liking this show even more now. I already liked the action, but the psychological drama is making this even better.
And I wonder if they people who disappear and get turned into those pillars can be resurrected, since they didn't exactly die.

ITIaster4 said:
if mikoto died then.... her brother died? but i feel like she loved mai a lot too... so couldn't mai die? then who dies for her? tate?

Killing the hime doesn't do anything, iirc. You'd have to kill their child in order for the person they care about the most to disappear.
Jun 2, 2019 12:21 PM

Mar 2016
I hope that shit stain Mikoto is actually dead, though I doubt that's actually the case. Ugh, her character archetype is just so obnoxious; I've hated her since the very beginning of the show.
Jun 10, 2019 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
This episode really amped up the suffering. The comparisons to Madoka were not misleading after all. Damn, what a great episode. I wasn't sure about this series in the first half, but this second half has been great.
Aug 3, 2022 8:52 AM

Jul 2020
Alright finally some nice dramatic action. After previous episodes I was getting afraid we'd get some kind of a shitty happy ending but looks like there's no chance of that happening anymore huh
Aug 3, 2022 5:54 PM

Nov 2018
The narrative is getting kinda insufferable not gonna lie. Animation, direction and choreography is amazing and on point though, no complaints on that.
Oct 16, 2022 4:16 PM

Sep 2021
I really enjoyed this episode! When Mezame started playing during the confrontation between Mikoto and Mai... Goosebumps. F*cking loved every second of the battle!
TerrorAdhaerensOct 16, 2022 4:23 PM
Dec 14, 2023 10:01 PM
Feb 2021
Never have I ever wanted an episode to end quicker because so many bad things were happening.
Feb 2, 4:18 PM

Jan 2020
Mai has to be one of least likeable protagonist's ever.

She just lost her brother and from her pov (because Mikoto is likely alive) incinerated her best friend, likely killing another person in the process, yet all that's on her mind is a random dude she had one heartfelt conversation with. The thing with Tate has been going on my nerves for awhile now. They just love each other, because love. Which isn't very intriguing.

Now back to the killing. This isn't even like Kamen Rider Ryuki where you have to kill. Hime only have to destroy the opposing child. So killing Mikoto was a conscious decision without justification.

Sure, she tried to stop it at the last second, but Mikoto was lucky she even survived that long and she did try to kill her until then.
No Blood. No Bone. No Ash.

More topics from this board

» Regarding the Eng Dub...

Tasolth - Oct 3, 2010

3 by Kuruna_Dagurasu »»
Mar 15, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Mai-HiME Episode 25 Discussion

Veronin - Nov 19, 2008

17 by Sasutaschi »»
Feb 22, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Mai-HiME Episode 24 Discussion

Veronin - Nov 18, 2008

15 by Sasutaschi »»
Feb 4, 11:33 AM

Poll: » Mai-HiME Episode 23 Discussion

Veronin - Nov 18, 2008

25 by Sasutaschi »»
Feb 3, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Mai-HiME Episode 22 Discussion

kitsunekarasu - Nov 13, 2008

14 by Sasutaschi »»
Feb 3, 2:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.