MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Adult Romance (Not Hentai)
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Adult Romance (Not Hentai)

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
 
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
#1
11-14-08, 3:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 98
I just finished watching Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (Rumbling Hearts) and I loved it. I'm looking for more anime like this one, with adult relationships. Breaking it down by similarities to what I've seen:

No:
Love Hina, Girls Bravo. Basically any of the harem/slapstick ecchi/kiddy variety.

Close, but no cigar:
Shuffle, Honey and Clover. Not really looking for fantasy or "relationship that seems to develop but nothing really happens" types.

Win:
Rumbling Hearts, School Days, Onegai Teacher/Twins, Planetes. Adult relationships where things actually progress and hardships are faced.


I often look at the ratings on anime to make an initial judgement, and rated R are usually my best bet. Definitely nothing below PG-13 though. High school romance ones are only ok if they go beyond (ex. Rumbling Hearts), or if the relationships progress alot (ex. School Days).
 
#2
11-14-08, 3:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 2583
The one anime I found through MAL's recommendations feature was recommended for KGNE with the statement "The same kind of sadness". It's certainly R+, but it may not have the mature types of relationships you're looking for and is fairly innocent in comparison (To KGNE or School days). Nonetheless, it really did have "the same kind of sadness" and reached my top 5. As a 6 episode OVA, I'd wager it's worth your time to check it out; I''s pure.

Another great Romance that might be along your lines is REC. It's also a lot more popular, so it's a safer bet. Less dramatic than KGNE, but since you also enjoyed Onegai and Planetes than you shouldn't have a problem.

KGNE turned me into a whore for romance shows, and sadness. Also, this one is somewhat opposite to what you're looking for, but it's worth a watch no matter who you are, and it does involve much more mature themes than the average anime:
5 Centimeters per Second

KGNE also has an alternate ending version that was recently released as an OVA, you can check that out too if you want. I've only seen the first episode but it really hasn't caught my attention like the first series had. And it had, in such a short time.
 
#3
11-14-08, 3:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2392
Ai Yori Aoshi
REC
Nodame Cantabile
Kare Kano
Ah! Megami-sama
Suzuka


It all depends on how you look at it. Four of those titles involve relationships between adults (KGNE may be dramatic, but I wouldn't call it adult, nor would I call School Days adult as the bahaviour of the 3 main characters is juvenile at best, Onegai Twins is another adolescent love story (Teacher was a different kettle of fish as both characters were adults)).

If you're after drama then there's lots to name. But if you want adult relationships between adults then drama isn't really necessary.
The truth is out there. The lies are in your head ...
the-geek-show-default-slide-a.jpg
 
#4
11-14-08, 4:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5034
Yep, definitely REC and Nodame - though for Nodame you need to get to Paris Chapter for things to really get in gear.
 
#5
11-14-08, 8:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3894
Archaeon said:
Ai Yori Aoshi
REC
Ah! Megami-sama
I concur with these suggestions.
 
#6
11-14-08, 12:23 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 98
asandari said:
KGNE also has an alternate ending version that was recently released as an OVA, you can check that out too if you want. I've only seen the first episode but it really hasn't caught my attention like the first series had. And it had, in such a short time.

I read about that, but I really liked the ending and wouldn't want to see it changed.

Ai Yori Aoshi and Suzuka were on my ptw list. REC looks interesting enough, added that too.

Archaeon said:
It all depends on how you look at it. Four of those titles involve relationships between adults (KGNE may be dramatic, but I wouldn't call it adult, nor would I call School Days adult as the bahaviour of the 3 main characters is juvenile at best, Onegai Twins is another adolescent love story (Teacher was a different kettle of fish as both characters were adults)).

If you're after drama then there's lots to name. But if you want adult relationships between adults then drama isn't really necessary.

By adult relationships, I mostly meant getting to '3rd base' and beyond. The first 3 I listed under Win had that stage, though it might not have happened in Twins, it certainly got to that point by the end. I'm really looking for more with that element in it, not necessarily shown (aka no hentai) but at least an element in the story.
 
#7
11-14-08, 12:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2392
You should add Kare Kano then, if that's what you're after.
The truth is out there. The lies are in your head ...
the-geek-show-default-slide-a.jpg
 
#8
11-14-08, 12:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 98
Oh that was already on there too. Any others on my ptw or otherwise that go with what I'm looking for as well? to narrow down which ones to watch first.
 
#9
11-14-08, 12:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 6884
FunkyMonkey said:

By adult relationships, I mostly meant getting to '3rd base' and beyond. The first 3 I listed under Win had that stage, though it might not have happened in Twins, it certainly got to that point by the end. I'm really looking for more with that element in it, not necessarily shown (aka no hentai) but at least an element in the story.

First episode of REC
 
11-14-08, 12:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 3773
Neverender said:
FunkyMonkey said:

By adult relationships, I mostly meant getting to '3rd base' and beyond. The first 3 I listed under Win had that stage, though it might not have happened in Twins, it certainly got to that point by the end. I'm really looking for more with that element in it, not necessarily shown (aka no hentai) but at least an element in the story.

First episode of REC


NO, why would you recommend such. Holy shit.

I didn't really lose you, I just lost it for a while.

 
11-14-08, 12:57 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 4994
Paradise Kiss.

My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!

Every time you recommend Sword Art Online, a baby seal gets clubbed.
 
11-14-08, 2:10 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 571
Bokura ga Ita, really good =] check it out.
 
11-14-08, 2:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 11209
O.K i will suggest NANA that i just finished and i actually gave it a 10. It's a very adult anime with all kind of relationships that is a lot closer to real life than other adult romance anime usually is. You don't have to worry about getting 2nd or 3rd base and all that staff because is about real adult relationships.
Warning if you are a sentimental type you could probably cry your heart out in some moments.

This is the first time i ever gave to an anime of this gender a full 10.
Trust me forget all the suggestions until now and watch Nana. I swear you won't regret it.
 
11-14-08, 2:37 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5683
I believe the genre should be called "seinen". These kind of anime are pretty rare, because it isn't popular with the majority of anime viewers. However, I like it, so:

Air
Canvas 2
Clannad: Tomoyo Arc
Da Capo II: Second Season
Memories Off
Memories Off 2nd
Memories Off 3.5
Memories Off #5
True Tears
 
11-14-08, 6:24 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 4994
Kira01 said:


Air


Only the movie is a romance, not the series, and the romance is hardly what the OP is looking for.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!

Every time you recommend Sword Art Online, a baby seal gets clubbed.
 
11-14-08, 8:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 698
Koi Kaze

Not even debatable here. If your request is exactly as you put it, this should be the very next thing you pick-up.
~Mr. Panda
~ #1 Setsucon Ejectee (2011)
Get your case heard at the Anime Parliament
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here.
 
11-14-08, 9:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 98
wtfyourface said:
Neverender said:
First episode of REC

NO, why would you recommend such. Holy shit.

Someone clear this up plz?
Splitter said:
Paradise Kiss.

That looks very... metro? Either way just the picture alone is scaring the shit out of me.
DarkDemonz said:
Bokura ga Ita, really good =] check it out.

If its confirmed to be what I'm looking for I might give it a try, but it sounds like an early high school setting without adult relationships at all.
Monad said:
O.K i will suggest NANA

That sounds like what I'm looking for, but the pictures again look like metro dudes and thats just creepy...
Kira01 said:
I believe the genre should be called "seinen". These kind of anime are pretty rare, because it isn't popular with the majority of anime viewers. However, I like it, so:

Air
Canvas 2
Clannad: Tomoyo Arc
Da Capo II: Second Season
Memories Off
Memories Off 2nd
Memories Off 3.5
Memories Off #5
True Tears

Those all look pg/pg13, and mostly all kids too. Your statement was correct, but those dont look like they follow it...
Mr_Panda said:
Koi Kaze

Not even debatable here. If your request is exactly as you put it, this should be the very next thing you pick-up.

Looks good, thanks :)
 
11-14-08, 9:25 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3894
Could try Okusama wa Joshikousei.
 
11-14-08, 9:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 4517
Air TV
Ah! My Goddess!

n_n b
"The fastest way to happiness is to avoid looking at reality."
"Destiny exalts a chosen few, but even heroes break."
 
11-14-08, 10:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 138
FunkyMonkey said:
Splitter said:
Paradise Kiss.

That looks very... metro? Either way just the picture alone is scaring the shit out of me.


metro?? er maybe, but if the anime is anything like the manga, then it does have what you are looking for. Since the anime is only given a PG-13 rating, the manga may be more explicit- still it seems to meet your requirements, though as to whether you'll like it.... that's another matter. :)
 
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Top
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices