Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Dec 1, 2012 8:19 AM

Jul 2012
lizardking461 said:
walk said:

it was kind of cool to see shun bring up freudian theories. so i guess in a way, he became a gouma because his superego could no longer control his id.

also, gotta applaud taneda risa for when saki screamed shun's name. it was so heartwrenching and full of emotion

ugh this ep was so sad

Nope, it'd be because his ego could no longer control his id. In Freudian terms, the ego is that part of the mind that mediates between the conscious and unconscious, whereas the superego is what is commonly understood as ones conscience, allowing for self-examination and critique based on social standards learned and ingrained within us whilst being nurtured in youth. Shun still had the faculties to critique and judge his actions, he just couldn't control them.

i hadn't studied studied freud in a while, so my knowledge of it is a little rusty. but yes, i believe you are right~ so from my understanding, the ego has no sense of right or wrong, it just simply points the id in the right direction. in shun's case, the id is pretty much ignoring those directions and spiraling out of control.
walkDec 1, 2012 8:40 AM
Dec 1, 2012 8:32 AM
Sep 2011
It's incredible how atmospheric this show can be at times. It was the perfect mix of outlandish, striking visuals, interesting camera angles and soothing, compelling soundtrack.

I'd love it if this show would maintain this peculiar art style on its whole run, especially this episode reminded me heavily of Casshern Sins, not only regarding visuals but also mood and pacing.
Dec 1, 2012 9:39 AM
Dec 2009
Really good episode, animation was slightly off a but loving the art style.

It's too bad Shun, you had to die to make way for Saki x Satoru.

What was the point of writing the details in the book when your just going to let it be swallowed up with you into the earth. Should've given it to Saki to take back to her mother.

Please no more new male characters, I don't think I can stand anymore yaoi tongue on tongue
Dec 1, 2012 9:56 AM
Nov 2011
it's like you guys don't even know what "animation" mean...
you can't seriously say this ep wasn't well animated, come on
Dec 1, 2012 10:03 AM

May 2010
good bye Shun it's been fun(not really) -__-
Dec 1, 2012 10:11 AM

Jul 2009
Shinoshiri Yori
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Dec 1, 2012 11:23 AM
Nov 2012
Let's talk about theories:

Despite what Saki said about Maria at the end of episode 2, I always thought Shun would be the more logical choice to turn to the dark side by the end.

But now that he's dead, I won't be surprised if Maria is the true villain of this series.

Think about it. By what Shun said, EVERYONE in their society, especially if their powers are strong, could turn into Karma Demons, and when that priest came to their class, he only looked at Satoru, Maria and Shun.

Meaning Saki and Mamoru are probably the weakest in their group, meaning there's a very big chance that either Maria or Satoru (or both of them) could turn into Karma Demons and unlike Shun who didn't want to do any harm and killed himself, they could easily take the other path to the dark side.

You remember how bloodthirsty Satoru seemed to be during episode 6? That could also be foreshadowing for him.

What do you think?
Dec 1, 2012 11:45 AM

May 2010
Disappointing, i seem hype too
Dec 1, 2012 12:02 PM

Aug 2011
Simply... wow. Best episode since. I bawled so hard the entire episode. The artistic direction of this episode was just great; it reminded me a bit of what Shaft does, especially with the angles. I'm so sorry about Shun, and I'm so sorry about how Saki had to witness it. I just... My heart is like broken right now. The fact that Subaru was turned into something like that and how Shun was so upset over Subaru's death just killed me. This is an amazing anime.
Dec 1, 2012 1:05 PM

Aug 2011
echoing "what's up with all of saki's ass/crotch shots this episode!?!?" comments. ~_~ she's like 14, let's not sexualize her...

10 episodes in! i hope they give us more detail about what the end goal of this story is and more background on the creation of their society.
Dec 1, 2012 1:10 PM

Jun 2010
Wtf. Is there no hope of an animation quality increase? The first few episodes had a fine animation, why they can't restore it to that average animation? I can't hardly feel anything on the drama, cuz their facial expression isn't exactly matching what are they saying. I was laughing rather than being sad...
Dec 1, 2012 1:10 PM

Apr 2010
I really disliked the animation, decent episode though.

-MgZ_ said:
Wtf. Is there no hope of an animation quality increase? The first few episodes had a fine animation, why they can't restore it to that average animation? I can't hardly feel anything on the drama, cuz their facial expression isn't exactly matching what are they saying. I was laughing rather than being sad...

A-1 Pictures bro.
Dec 1, 2012 1:24 PM

Apr 2008
I'm speechless... probably, the best anime episode I have seen lately. Wonderful from the beginning to the end.
Dec 1, 2012 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
itsvero said:
Simply... wow. Best episode since. I bawled so hard the entire episode. The artistic direction of this episode was just great; it reminded me a bit of what Shaft does, especially with the angles. I'm so sorry about Shun, and I'm so sorry about how Saki had to witness it. I just... My heart is like broken right now. The fact that Subaru was turned into something like that and how Shun was so upset over Subaru's death just killed me. This is an amazing anime.

I agree with you. It reminded me of Shaft's bizarre animation, and I love Shaft.
Great episode!!! The animation was very surreal, and also the unusual camera angles...... I liked it. Yamauchi did not messed up as bad as episode 5. Although some things were a little off at times, I believe it was a successful episode overall. The direction was able to evoke emotion. I felt deeply sorry for Shun - and even Subaru's - death.

Can't say anything more about the soundtrack. Amazing as usual.

I'm really looking forward to see how things will develop from here.

I got a question. Does anybody know what was Saki chanting when she practically twisted the Fazed Cat? I'm curious. She seems quite skillful in using the force.
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Dec 1, 2012 1:36 PM

Jul 2011
Cirris said:
Shun turned poor Subaru into a pokemon.

Hahahaha. I actually laughed when I read that LOL.

Anyways, when said he always had loved Saki before he died I was like; T_T *stab in the heart* I couldn't take it anymore and cried *&^%$#

So many tears omg. But that was because I watched Wall-E on TV before watching this episode, and I got really emo when Wall-E died (he didn't tho, couldn't say that about Shun......... ಥ_ಥ)
millefioriDec 1, 2012 1:39 PM
Dec 1, 2012 2:39 PM

Apr 2012
And another thing that doesn't normally happen in anime. And it devoted an entire episode to it too. A complete change from what the previous episode did, almost as if the two were in slightly different genres. Very dark, this show, but not gratuitously so, it's got so many ideas behind it, they could drive it forward for goodness knows how long. Great stuff.
Dec 1, 2012 2:52 PM

Jul 2011
Average ep
Dec 1, 2012 3:18 PM

Feb 2011
Fucking boring and uninteresting ! Dropped , the worst series of the season .
Dec 1, 2012 4:20 PM
Nov 2012
Dude, if you always loved her, why were you just making out with Satoru the other day? The show doesn’t really spend the time to convince us that there is weight behind these characters’ words.
Dec 1, 2012 4:37 PM

Dec 2010
UnbornMVs said:

10 episodes in...
Dec 1, 2012 5:18 PM

Feb 2012
-MgZ_ said:

Really? What a superficial thing to say.

UnbornMVs said:

Good riddance and enjoy your SAO.
Dec 1, 2012 5:21 PM

Feb 2012
Rest in peace, Subaru, poor thing.

Screw you, Saki, how can you not say that you love him in that situation?!

The inconsistency in Saki's facial design is pissing me off, she looked like a different person several times.
ZhouDec 1, 2012 5:27 PM
Dec 1, 2012 7:29 PM

Mar 2012
I feel like I'm inside a fog when I'm watching this, things that just don't feel like it's in place continues to pop up and then another shit appears

My basic understanding of this anime :

1.Humans learned powers
2.War revolving around powers
3.Post-war / Finding flaws of powers
4.People can't control it and die/kill others (turn into karma beast)
5.Implement system to stop people going out of control
6.HOMO
7. (personal theory) The story is being told by Saki and Mamoru, the rest died somehow.

Anyone want to clear stuff up for me?...
Dec 1, 2012 7:49 PM

Jun 2011
wow that was a really good episode. I was so sad D:

I was surprised that Saki didn't say anything back to Shun like " I love always loved you too!" but she didn’t say anything D=

Maybe if Shun told Saki way sooner that he loved her and they got together..he wouldn't have felt so lonely? then maybe he wouldn’t turn into a karma demon? who know I'm still slightly confused with some things
Duhuhu...
Dec 1, 2012 9:30 PM

Oct 2011
chrizo said:
I feel like I'm inside a fog when I'm watching this, things that just don't feel like it's in place continues to pop up and then another shit appears

1.Humans learned powers
6.HOMO
7. (personal theory) The story is being told by Saki and Mamoru, the rest died somehow.

I'm not sure what you want us to clear up... ;A; Do you have any particular questions?
---
I keep seeing a lot of hate going against Saki because she didn't tell Shun she loved him back.

Personally, I believe Shun knew Saki's feelings from the beginning (or at least by the second arc). Saki was basically about to confess in episode eight. From the first time we see both of them together the viewer could tell they had something going on. Like when Shun held her hand when they went on the expedition. The way he usually sided with her in things.

At the end of episode ten, I'm pretty sure that Shun was well aware of how Saki felt for him. Saki didn't have to say "I love you too" to express how she felt, the feeling was already there.

At least that is what I think.
Dec 1, 2012 10:44 PM

Feb 2012
Quite entertaining :D

What?
Dec 2, 2012 12:33 AM
Feb 2011
Way too atmospheric. Mood setting is fine and all, but when practically the whole episode is dedicated to it, it's too much.

I kept waiting for a proper explanation of stuff. 10 minutes Shun said...boy did they waste a lot of that time on nothing. I kept waiting for a "all right here's what's going on, here's what you've gotta watch out for" type of conversation, but all we got was a lot of wood shots...and house shots...and wasp shots...and ass shots...and Saki being dramatic. This episode needed a lot more dialogue.
Dec 2, 2012 12:45 AM

Oct 2007
myuun said:
chrizo said:

1.Humans learned powers
6.HOMO

I'm not sure what you want us to clear up... ;A; Do you have any particular questions?
---
I keep seeing a lot of hate going against Saki because she didn't tell Shun she loved him back.

Personally, I believe Shun knew Saki's feelings from the beginning (or at least by the second arc). Saki was basically about to confess in episode eight. From the first time we see both of them together the viewer could tell they had something going on. Like when Shun held her hand when they went on the expedition. The way he usually sided with her in things.

At the end of episode ten, I'm pretty sure that Shun was well aware of how Saki felt for him. Saki didn't have to say "I love you too" to express how she felt, the feeling was already there.

At least that is what I think.
Well, as you said, when a girl went out of her to come to hell to save you then there is no need for you to hear her saying "I love you."

Aki-moto said:
Way too atmospheric. Mood setting is fine and all, but when practically the whole episode is dedicated to it, it's too much.

I kept waiting for a proper explanation of stuff. 10 minutes Shun said...boy did they waste a lot of that time on nothing. I kept waiting for a "all right here's what's going on, here's what you've gotta watch out for" type of conversation, but all we got was a lot of wood shots...and house shots...and wasp shots...and ass shots...and Saki being dramatic. This episode needed a lot more dialogue.
I think this show is more about discovery rather than telling the mystery which is what this episode(and the rest of 9 episodes) trying to achieve.

Mod Edit: Removed quoted part that was deleted when cleaning up this thread.
LunaDec 2, 2012 3:41 AM

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Dec 2, 2012 2:14 AM

Jul 2011
UnbornMVs said:

It's not the worst of the season, noob. Seems that you also dropped Jigoku Shoujo and Psycho-pass. Those stories too hard to understand for you?
Dec 2, 2012 2:38 AM

Mar 2011
Really enjoyed that! As mostly dialogue between Saki and Shun, the way the wo characters fed of each other and finally revealed their feelings for each other was a really touching moment!

A lot of the craziness of the world and setting was revealed as well, it seems that teenagers shouldn't have super powerful mind powers!

Also, the first page of comments of people saying they've watched 5 mins of the show or are watching it raw without understanding Japanese are more concerned with collection internet points that watching anime and it's fucking pathetic.
Dec 2, 2012 6:42 AM

Nov 2011
I didn't like certain parts of dialogues. Looked like conversation between two drunk and had too much melodrama.
And as some have already said, the animation was bad.
But the episode was very enlightening and important.
So 6/10
Dec 2, 2012 7:58 AM

Oct 2012
Best ep ever! So much depth in it, so many emotions. I just wonder what was trigger that get Shun into this state.
Dec 2, 2012 9:09 AM
Apr 2009
kpk10 said:
Dude, if you always loved her, why were you just making out with Satoru the other day? The show doesn’t really spend the time to convince us that there is weight behind these characters’ words.

He loved Satoru as well.

For Shun, it wasn't a competition. He loved Satoru. He loved Saki. His elders encouraged him to be homosexual in his teens and heterosexual as an adult. Both Shun and Satoru (and Saki) knew this. Shun could be with Satoru as a teen and Saki as an adult.

He wanted to eat the cake and have it too, and he would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids!
Dec 2, 2012 10:30 AM

Feb 2012
Best episode.
Dec 2, 2012 12:58 PM

Jul 2012
kpk10 said:

i thought you were reading the novel, so you should already know the answer to this? (・~・)
walkDec 2, 2012 1:17 PM
Dec 2, 2012 1:20 PM

Jul 2012
Mhm, i guess if i didn't dislike the anime, i would feel sad for Shun? Buuut, i think Shun somehow comes back... I mean, this anime is alrdy fcked up on too many ways -.-
O'Hai :D
Dec 2, 2012 1:25 PM
Nov 2012
walk said:
kpk10 said:

i thought you were reading the novel, so you should already know the answer to this? (・~・)

I know it but i'm talking here as an ANIME viewer. I don't think the anime did a good job with it.
Dec 2, 2012 1:56 PM

Feb 2011
Good episode.
I know that Saki has a sexy ass but really to many scenes. Couldn't concentrate on the dialog between them cause of that.
Dec 2, 2012 2:19 PM

Jan 2012
I lurve this anime's mystery.
Dec 2, 2012 2:23 PM

Apr 2012
Well, that was an intense episode. Maybe even a bit too much talking.
But the animation was pretty good this time..

However, I'd call that an improvement (on the left):

Shun did Subaru a favor if you ask me. :]
Dec 2, 2012 2:27 PM

Sep 2011
Great episode. Loved the art style and especially the music near the end.
Dec 2, 2012 4:49 PM
Sep 2012
nantuko said:

nantuko said:

Stick? Subaru transform into STICK!!!!
Dec 2, 2012 6:15 PM

Jul 2012
so shun died this episode when he succumbed to the "death spirit" that came from him and let it kill him. as he says, "it's like the spirit of blessing, but instead of blessing you, all it brings is death."

but this raises some questions for me because the "spirit of blessing" that came to them was the manifestation of their own juryoku itself. by that logic, this death spirit should also be some kind of product of their own subconscious. however, as shun stated in the episode, his subconscious desires to survive (that's why none of those pills had any effects on his body). this kind of creates a paradox, imo.
Dec 3, 2012 6:18 AM

Jul 2012
I guess whats next. It's 15 episodes left and it seemed like an ending to me.
Dec 3, 2012 11:35 AM

Mar 2008
this inconsistency is pissing me off. at some scenes it looked great on others I could hardly tell what is going on..
Dec 3, 2012 2:18 PM

Aug 2012
I'm not the only one who's really confused right?
Dec 3, 2012 3:47 PM
Feb 2011
nooo someone tell me shun didnt die man :( need to see shun x saki!
idc if its spoilers, someone tell me!!!!!! xD
Dec 3, 2012 4:00 PM
Nov 2012
Misiakk said:
I guess whats next. It's 15 episodes left and it seemed like an ending to me.

How in anyway did it felt like an ending to you?
Dec 3, 2012 5:13 PM

Oct 2010
this is a strange series
Dec 3, 2012 6:27 PM

Nov 2012
My favorite episode of this series <3

The chemistry, art style, music, & tone really help brought it together. The whole episode just proves how the government is filling everyone with a false emotions and fears in which the human mind wants back. Going to miss Shun, he was such a strong character towards the end.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.