Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Oct 23, 2013 12:17 PM

Oct 2011
;__; Really sad to see Shun go, especially after his confession to Saki but apart from that the episode felt a bit empty? I feel like I don't know why this is happening - it's happening just because. Guess we'll have to see where the show goes from here.
Oct 27, 2013 1:38 PM

Aug 2012
myuun said:
I... cried. .-. It was the most horrendously painful episode yet in Shinsekai Yori and by far one of my favorites. Everything was so emotional and well done. I knew what was coming from the beginning, but having to watch it go through was so... ugh. I'll seriously miss Shun, he was so great and wonderful, and his last words to Saki were so kjdl;dsa. Uuuugh. Saki's scream too, just like walk mentioned was extremely heartbreaking.

Overall, fantastic episode, bu so sad, oh so sad.

You just said everything i wanted to say .
Dec 7, 2013 7:14 AM

Dec 2008
JUST

AMAZING

EPISODE
Dec 7, 2013 8:41 PM
Nov 2013
I'm really conflicted about this show. I had it hyped up a lot to me before i ever started watching, and one hand, the art is great, the world is interesting, and the scifi is good, but on the other, it's all kind of undermined by the fact that I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ANY OF THESE CHARACTERS. I don't understand a single one of them. I cannot relate to a single one of them. I don't really even know why Saki loves Shun in the first place. I don't care than Shun is dead, and i don't feel sorry for Saki. We are also now on the tenth episode and still i have no clue what the plot is. This has all been setup, yet i still don't see it going anywhere. I want to like this show, but it's making it awfully hard to get into.
Jan 11, 2014 8:19 AM

Nov 2007
Aiyaaa, Shun.. I will miss you. Demo yappari~ even though he's the brightest and most sought character, he is also the most distant of them all. He still considers himself alone even though all of them love him so much. Not that he doesn't know though.
aws. So, its his subconscious fault. Poor him.
I was intrigued when Saki's mother brought the book to him. So doesn't that mean that its in their possession? Could it possibly because of Saki's older sister? Yoshimi?

Aiyaaaa. Anyways, about the confession.
Instead of Saki doing it, Shun did it.
Saki, I've always loved you.
So sad.
Ugh. why can't they be together?
But Satoru is still there.

Satoru x Saki then. <3
Jan 13, 2014 4:26 PM

Dec 2010
so why couldnt shun remove his mask? because he wasnt able or because his powers would get out of control?
Man I was hoping Shun would live until the very end and we get to see him become a badass
Feb 15, 2014 2:24 PM

Jan 2009
1. i thought the main plot was to find shun but apparently it took 1 episode for him to kill himself. i hope the story keeps this mood up.

2. i admire series that kill off their own characters. it just makes the people who like those characters feel even more sad.

10/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Feb 23, 2014 3:12 PM

Aug 2009
Splendid!!!! This was an amazing episode.
But why....why did Shun have to die? I was really hoping they would find a way to counter this and a way to stop it from happening but there was nothing. When Shun said he took all the poisonous pills I literally said "whoa" I mean he wanted to die but he could not...how would that make anyone feel about themselves and the power they posses?

I'm even more said that the romance between Saki and Shun can never be recognized, it just can never be. I really would have liked for them to be the main couple of this anime and live together and have a family but that aspiration is gone now. This was such a sad episode. Who knew he would be the first to go when watching the first episode? I certainly did not. I thought he would live on as a genius of sorts, someone people would look up to...a karma demon? why does his demise have to be so cruel? I can not deal!!!

Mar 26, 2014 4:03 PM

Jul 2013
Sooo DEPRESSING!! I never thought this wld be sooo SAD~ Shun's goodbye speech to Saki, and saying that he loves her made me cry a lot. Such an amazing episode! I'm going to miss him! :(
Apr 1, 2014 8:42 PM

Jan 2013
SephiriAzure said:
I felt bad for both Saki and Shun, since they loved each other, but never really got to be together : (

omg same ._. so that's so depressing
Apr 15, 2014 9:54 AM

May 2010
Cirris said:
So essentially, Shun had a very active sub-conscience. But because his Cantus(telekintic) abilities are directly tied to his subconscious, any thought, good or bad, is manifested thru his powers. What the educators call Karma demon. You can almost think of the outward manifestation of the disease would be something similar to tourette syndrome.

Shun turned poor Subaru into a pokemon.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if the world would survive with a scenario like that. You get one narcissistic karma demon with a apocalyptic subconscious and the entire region would be wiped out. It just doesn't seem like a world full of potential atom bombs could maintain itself long term. Especially if they can't control when they'll go off.

I get the feeling it's a cultural thing. Japanese are big on self control and suppressing their inner thoughts to maintain a harmonic balance in society. Something like this would be a nightmare for them.

liked the art. But i really wasn't digging the whole Saki zombie movements she made throughout the episode.

Also, another thing occurred to me. The assassin cats in this episode seem familiar to the "copycats" from episode one. Saki saw the shadow of one in her home when she was young. She also has vague memories of a sibling. Maybe the cat she saw was there to kill the sibling and she spotted it, or even witnessed the killing.

Now, are these cats sent to kill only karma demons or are they sent after all kids who fail to live up to expectations.

With what Shun became and what he did to his home village. Maybe extreme measures of killing unsuitable offspring is the remedy to save the society.

It still doesn't explain why "normal" humans with no Cantus are made to disappear. Why would they be a threat.

Great summary Sir.

I liked how the episode tackled the subconscious. Best ep so far.
Apr 28, 2014 1:08 PM

Aug 2013
What a tragic end for Shun... Is all our gang destined to transform into Karma demon? Since they all know the truth. From Saki saying, I guess Maria transformation will be the more violent one.

The symptome are really terrifying. To have subconscient so powerful that it can modify thing to the molecular level, it must be awful to have absolutely no control on yourself.

It was really interresting how he descripted the Juryoku. It seemed more like a curse than a benediction. Psychotelekinesis is a huge time bomb, ready to explode at any moment. At least, other massive destruction weapon can be moderated by human consciousness, they have no control on their power except hypnosis, which is hard to control in long term.

As I thought, the tainted cat may be a big treat for people that were conditioned to being scared of them, like when Saki was petrified at first, but once you know it's just a big tiger like, you can neutralize it easily with the Juryoku...

I really like how this show play on the morallity. It's really immoral to brainwash kid and make them live in a fake utopia, but at the same time, the children immaturity could lead to the end of the world. Their unstable emotion can affect dangerously their Juryoku and transform then in monster. So could we say that they are controlling them for their own safety or by pure fear? Could they not find another way?
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 3, 2014 5:41 PM

Jan 2013
I don't know why it's hard for people to figure out the main plot of this series.
The focus is for the main characters (so far Saki) to figure out why the world is in its current state, and why children are disappearing.

There could be more plots included in later episodes.
My brother and I compose classical and modern music, please click the link below if you're interested.
http://thesearethetwins.wordpress.com/

Please check out my profile to see what anime I recommend.

Keep pursuing your dreams! ~ Wynn
May 30, 2014 3:33 PM

Jul 2013
So much is revealed in this episode, and although the animation and chosen shots were kinda weird, this is probably one of my favourite episodes so far! I'll miss you Shun!
May 31, 2014 8:29 PM

Nov 2013
The atmosphere of this episode reminded me A LOT of Ergo Proxy. Pretty damn good episode despite it being a little too deep for me.

Jun 3, 2014 1:12 AM

Feb 2009
So can anyone tell me what is the meaning of the entire conversation about poisons?
Shun says he was given various combinations of poisons, that much I understand.
But what does he mean when he says to Saki, "I'm glad you didn't take any of them"
And what does Saki mean when she replies "I took all of them"

I mean Shun was given the poisons so he could kill himself right? But they didn't work because his subconsciousness detoxified them.
What does it all have to do with Saki?

Will be really helpful if someone can explain. Also I watched it subbed if it helps.

Winners and Victims stand alone!!
Jun 3, 2014 1:29 AM

Feb 2009
AiCon said:
Spirai said:
I have to rant first: I am REALLY pissed off at Saki for not even ONCE telling Shun "I love you" back. Heck, she could have even substituted in like, or possible love. Maybe she could be honest and admit to sexual attraction even, anything! Instead, she keeps screaming "SHUN!" and the boy says "I love you" TWICE by then giving her a friggin two chances, betting on the fact that she has a short term memory or maybe didn't hear him the first time, but NOOOO! She just keeps doing these dramatic bipolar movements and saying all these teary words (though in the end she just flies away saying "I need to live") and doesn't even take the chance to say "yeah, bud, was good while it lasted" or something. Seriously, screw her feelings for Shun, she made this episode scream "ME ME ME!" at times =.=*
That's because Saki wasn't in love Shun. Saki was in love with Satoru. Remember all those scenes of Saki staring at Shun and Satoru together. She later started having sex with Maria to forget about Satoru.

That is the most stupid explanation I have heard, Saki was in love with Shun ever since the scene in the boat with the stars. That's the reason she is Hell bent on saving him. Also it was Shun's image she saw in the cave before she restored Satoru's cantus. And she almost says "I love you" to Shun during the scene where he gives her the cat charm. And during the kiss scene with Satoru, she is devastated because she was expecting to see Shun after his dog came to her but them Shun ends up kissing Satoru.

So yeah, Saki's always loved Shun, but Shun only admitted his love to her at the moment of his death !!

Jun 3, 2014 1:31 AM

Feb 2009
myuun said:
AiCon said:
That's because Saki wasn't in love Shun. Saki was in love with Satoru. Remember all those scenes of Saki staring at Shun and Satoru together. She later started having sex with Maria to forget about Satoru.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope sweetie, you got it a little off.

Saki was in love with Shun. I promise you, Saki was more than in love with Shun. Right now, she likes Satoru, not in a romantic way, but she likes him. That time when they were together and lost in the forest did bring them closer into liking each other in that way, but as of episode ten Saki loved Shun more than anyone. Remember that part in episode eight when she was about to confess but Shun stopped him? Yup.

And finally, Saki didn't start having sex with Maria to forget about Satoru, she was doing it to forget about Shun.

Yeah, that just about nails it !!!

Jun 7, 2014 1:58 PM

Jan 2014
That was great.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2014 8:33 PM

Nov 2012
So the story of the boy who was in solitude referred to Shun. What a mind blowing and emotional episode.
Jun 24, 2014 3:09 PM
May 2013
I'm loving this anime except the yuri and yaoi part .
Jun 26, 2014 8:09 AM

Feb 2014
Welp, at least now we won't have to sit through a stupid love triangle plot. I had to pause a couple of times in order to absorb all the info dump on how the cantus and the subconscious affect the world, but after that the episode just flew by. And what was up with all those extreme close ups? They just made the expressions look weird and animation appeared floaty.
Jul 7, 2014 3:54 PM

Jan 2014
Oh Shun. At least we learn a lot more about the properties of a karma demon, and Shun is aware of the change.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 8, 2014 4:20 PM

Aug 2013
Best part was the Saki's nice ass shots
This world is Rotten. Rotten people should be killed off to cleanse this world.
Jul 18, 2014 1:43 PM

Jun 2009
I didn't really like it, i mean I can tell there was a good story here but the visuals and art style used really hurt my experience. To me, this episode would have been much more effective if it was played straight. Also, I feel like Shun didn't receive near enough characterization for me to feel sorry for him, though I did for Saki. I'm betting there is more to him in the books and probably their relationship receives more depth there.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 21, 2014 12:21 PM

Jan 2014
Dem, I almost cried. It felt really emotional. Episode was perfectly done.
Aug 1, 2014 12:53 PM

Feb 2011
saki knows how to defend herself, good

interesting explanation how a world where there are PK is bound to be unstable, cause it can't be directly controlled by the conscious

shun, the psychokinesis bomb, rip

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Sep 1, 2014 12:05 PM
Jun 2014
inb4 he comes back later. please stay dead
Sep 9, 2014 11:28 AM

Nov 2013
ZzzZZZzzz, god damn is this show overrated. I'm trying to keep myself awake. And all that melodrama. This show is definitely a shoujo even though MAL doesn't list it as.
Sep 30, 2014 10:28 AM

Jan 2014
Amazing. So he's now... dead?
And he said he's always loved her...
What the...?! And Satoru?
Wonder how the others will react.
Oct 1, 2014 4:37 PM

Oct 2013
Well the directing is really hit or miss for this show. Depends on the episode directors. Just watched the next episode and the directing is much better: More coherent and less awkward close-ups. The plot has so much potential, it's a shame there's been so much cinematography sloppiness so far.
Oct 26, 2014 10:54 PM

Jun 2014
sadhana said:
So can anyone tell me what is the meaning of the entire conversation about poisons?
Shun says he was given various combinations of poisons, that much I understand.
But what does he mean when he says to Saki, "I'm glad you didn't take any of them"
And what does Saki mean when she replies "I took all of them"

I mean Shun was given the poisons so he could kill himself right? But they didn't work because his subconsciousness detoxified them.
What does it all have to do with Saki?

Will be really helpful if someone can explain. Also I watched it subbed if it helps.

I agree. This didn't make any sense to me. What were they talking about? Someone explain please
Dec 10, 2014 1:09 AM

Oct 2014
insan3priest said:
I didn't really like it, i mean I can tell there was a good story here but the visuals and art style used really hurt my experience. To me, this episode would have been much more effective if it was played straight. Also, I feel like Shun didn't receive near enough characterization for me to feel sorry for him, though I did for Saki. I'm betting there is more to him in the books and probably their relationship receives more depth there.

I have to agree with this. I felt almost no attachment to Shun. His character felt inconsistent and shallow. In fact, almost all of the characters do except for Saki.

The art is okay, but the awkward poses and shots made the scene feel very silly.
Dec 26, 2014 1:29 AM
Oct 2014
ew @ shun X saki
why did he go out w/ satoru if he "always loved" saki
/:
Dec 31, 2014 8:59 PM

Sep 2014
Shun deserved it. If he really loved SakI he'd have asked her out instead of going fagboy mode

Saki remains best character: I feel bad for her, but Im still glad that boring ass shun prick is dead so she can find a new love interest.

I still have absolutely no idea where the plot is going, but it's fun to watch and Im curious to know how this world really works. I want more information and I want a goal.
Jan 3, 2015 2:10 PM
Aug 2014
plzhelpme42 said:
ew @ shun X saki
why did he go out w/ satoru if he "always loved" saki
/:

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
AlfyanOct 31, 2017 7:11 AM
Behold! The way is clear! We're free! I, the mad scientist, Hououin Kyouma, have triumphed under a twofold assault, from SERN and the Organization, by twisting the very fundamentals of time and space! The world as we know it has been put to rights, and a future of chaos awaits us. This, my friends, is the choice of Steins;Gate!
Jan 27, 2015 2:48 PM

Feb 2014
MintPanda said:
insan3priest said:

I have to agree with this. I felt almost no attachment to Shun. His character felt inconsistent and shallow. In fact, almost all of the characters do except for Saki.

The art is okay, but the awkward poses and shots made the scene feel very silly.

I totally agree with both. It didn't invoke any emotion in me and I wouldn't say I'm dense, just that it was very melodramatic without proper characterization first. They weren't developed enough for me to care about them. What's more, that Saki bitch is pissing me more and more with each following episode.

However, I must say that the world, history, Cantus system and the overall story is marvelously done and engrossing.

BTW why isn't this tagged as shoujo?
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Feb 14, 2015 11:11 PM

Jun 2011
epic episode! pure darkness. Too bad for shun. that was a sad episode.
Feb 28, 2015 3:47 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Interesting episode that really explained a lot of things and helps us understand why their society is the way it is.

What I don't get is why the director insisted on having all those of booty shots of Saki. They were distracting and hurt the poignancy of the scenes.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 20, 2015 10:06 PM

Oct 2013
insan3Inquisitor said:
Also, I feel like Shun didn't receive near enough characterization for me to feel sorry for him, though I did for Saki.

Yeah, he really could have used more characterization. He had a lot of potential but it feels a little bit wasted; on the other hand, killing a main character this early seems kind of like a good story choice as well, so I dunno.

I actually loved the art direction this episode, however. In fact, the art made the last third of the episode much more enjoyable than I think it would have been otherwise. So surreal and beautiful.

One thing I don't get is what made Shun turn into a karmic demon but not other really gifted PK users. Like that dude from the last episode who's supposedly the strongest PK user? The guy who could split the earth in half if he wanted to? The way I was understanding Shun's explanation, it sounds like the amount of "power leaked out from the subconscious" is proportionate to the amount of "power" one has in general. Too much PK results in an inability to control one's subconscious, the little situation with Shun happens as a result.

Great episode in any case.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 3, 2015 1:13 PM

Nov 2014
This episode is not as good as everyone say it is.

May 20, 2015 9:14 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
ExTamplier said:
This episode is not as good as everyone say it is.

Yeah. Shun didn't get any screentime and I was just watching this ep like "just end it already" hopefully they won't drag the grief for a couple of episodes
Jun 5, 2015 4:57 PM

Oct 2013
I liked this episode a lot. Ok, she could say less times "Shuuuuun" and maybe do something, but in general it was great.
Jun 26, 2015 7:43 AM
Dec 2011
good god i cried so much ...shun i love him ...from the very beginning to end shun and saki love each other so much but never got to be close this is breaking my heart its just felt like a cruel punishment.

after knowing they are being watched shun distance himself from the group bit by bit then his power going out of control and satoru asking him was an opportunity for him to make the gap between him and saki even more ,shun dated satoru for saki's sake to keep her at a distance how much shun loved saki and how much saki loved shun was shown perfectly in this episode it was toooo painful to watch i will miss shun very much :3
Jul 22, 2015 4:58 AM

Sep 2013
So Shun is dead. At last.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 11, 2015 12:37 PM

Oct 2014
Oh damn things got really really dark quickly. shun's death was sad but necessary, can't wait for some character development for Saki and the others now. But I never expected one of them to die so early on.. :'(
Sep 14, 2015 6:32 PM

Jan 2013
Impressive episode and, personally, the best one so far. Actually, it was simply epic in every possible way.
Stunning visuals and superb OST to perfectly match dark atmosphere.
Sep 25, 2015 8:41 AM

Jan 2013
Poor Subaru and Shun :/
Shun not being able to control it anymore, destroying himself to save Saki.

Mentions he always loved her, but that was kinda obvious, especially trying to fight it while he was having a relationship with Satoru.
Sep 30, 2015 7:42 PM
Jun 2014
The guest director was awful. "I know what would be great, lets zoom in on everything at odd angles so people can barely tell what's going on". What an idiot. Ruined what could have been a great episode.
Oct 2, 2015 3:57 PM

Feb 2015
I felt like Saki was sitting on my face while listening to Shun talk.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.