Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 30, 2012 1:58 AM
May 2012
Many people say that that the first season was average. I realise it was important to set up After Story for information but to be honest it really didn't have that much at all. Like many people, I thought the original Clannad was just average, just slightly above to me and I loved After Story but I wasn't that impressed with the ending. The rest was great though. More and more people watch Clannad and drop it because of it's slow pacing and lack of depth with the characters. This season really pales in comparison to AS.I don't hate it of course. Those who drop the first season are missing out on a really great roller coaster experience that the second season has to offer.
WinterSnowflakeMay 6, 2013 12:44 AM
Nov 30, 2012 2:18 AM

Sep 2012
It's too bad some people refuse to watch After Story because they assume it would be in the same level as Clannad in drama and execution. I kept insisting my brother to watch after story but he kept refusing because he couldn't stand watching the first season or rather couldn't stand most of the girls (Fuuko). So I told him he should start from episode 9 of After Story for the meat of the anime. It has been 3 years since.
Nov 30, 2012 2:23 AM
Oct 2012
Personally, I wouldn't have cared for After Story if it wasn't for the characterization. (Though, I've only seen each series only once, so I may not have picked up all the flaws). After Story should have devoted more time to the ending. I'm overjoyed it's happy, but it was just confusing to me.

To answer your question: It needed the original series, or it at least it played out better because of the original.
Nov 30, 2012 2:29 AM
May 2012
egnaro315 said:
It's too bad some people refuse to watch After Story because they assume it would be in the same level as Clannad in drama and execution. I kept insisting my brother to watch after story but he kept refusing because he couldn't stand watching the first season or rather couldn't stand most of the girls (Fuuko). So I told him he should start from episode 9 of After Story for the meat of the anime. It has been 3 years since.

The only character I really couldn't stand at all was Fuko. I hated her. I was fine with the rest of the girls. Ryou and Kotomi sometimes got on my nerves though, I was glad they improved in After Story. Wasn't too keen on Kyou at first, she grew on me half way through the first season. I really liked her in AS though. Fantastic change of character there. Tomoyo, love her! My favourite Clannad girl ever. Don't know why anyone wouldn't like her. She doesn't get enough screentime so I think a lot of people forget about her. Nagisa, now this character gets a lot of hate. I personally like her because she's so sweet and kind. But she's also extremely gullible and naive. But why hate her?? I can think of many worse characters than her. Of course Tomoya is my favourite character, along with Akio and Ushio. Suprisingly, Tomoya had been voted one of the best characters in anime and Nagisa one of the worst. :/ I can't remember the link but I'll try and share it.
Nov 30, 2012 11:02 PM

Aug 2012
No I don't think AS would have had as much of an impact on me if it wasn't for the first season, the first seasons built the emotional attachments I had with most of the characters and without this foundation AS wouldn't have been as powerful.
Dec 1, 2012 12:07 AM

Jun 2009
No, and it's really as simple as that as far as I'm concerned.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 29, 2014 4:48 AM
Sep 2013
No, if you won't watch the first season, then just don't watch it at all. Chances are, if they hate the first season that much, they probably wouldn't like the 2nd one anyways, even if it is just from their own sheer effort to not like it. And yes, it is way more than possible to not like or hate something just from conviction to do so, happens all the time.
Apr 29, 2014 4:55 AM

Sep 2012
No..

That's like saying "The third Lord of the Rings is the best one, so you should just skip the other two and go straight to the third!"
Apr 29, 2014 10:16 PM

Nov 2012
I personally got attached to all of the characters in the 1st season. To the point where for the second season, I was already very familiar with them and cared about them because of what they had experienced in the first season already. It pretty much makes all of their interractions and all the events in the 2nd season have much more meaning and context.

If you take out the 1st season, the emotional moments and the character interaction wouldn't have as much of an impact because you wouldn't feel as connected to the characters, you would know less about the characters too.

Also, people tend to rave about the emotional moments of the 2nd season. But I wholeheartedly enjoyed the first season in all of its zanyness and school fun.
May 1, 2014 1:38 AM

Apr 2014
no...
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
May 5, 2014 12:45 AM

Apr 2012
Well, I don't see how you can ask this question without providing a way to get around not having character development and a lack of certain plot details. I do think that they could have been more straightforward with who was the character Tomoya would choose and not have to introduce every character in a detailed fashion to please those that messed around with the VN.
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
Anime is the reason why I live.
This is what every first comment should be like.
May 5, 2014 1:07 AM

Aug 2012
hell yes. season 1 was straight trash. need less trash and more good stuff. clannad should have only had one season tbh. and cut it to like 22 eps. 1st 11, i guess you have to have the crappy school life chit, then the second half, the last 11 when they graduate from high school, and the good stuff actually starts. that would've been way better to me. especially since tomoya's like the only good character in the show, so focusing on him without the other whores getting in the way is better. oh...and sunohara gets no love.
May 5, 2014 1:14 AM

Aug 2013
insan3Spectre said:
No, and it's really as simple as that as far as I'm concerned.
"When you walk in a dream but you know you're not dreaming Signore
Scuzza me, but you see, back in old Napoli that's amore"

May 7, 2014 4:36 PM

Dec 2013
Colbyrules8 said:
Well, I don't see how you can ask this question without providing a way to get around not having character development and a lack of certain plot details. I do think that they could have been more straightforward with who was the character Tomoya would choose and not have to introduce every character in a detailed fashion to please those that messed around with the VN.

I agree with you for the most part. Everyone needs to realize though that this is an adaptation of a Visual Novel. Remember that adapting a VN with as many different routes and as much detail as Clannad into an anime form is very difficult. I believe they executed it very well all things considered. I also think that in the anime, they were trying to show how Tomoya got so close to all these people but ultimately ended up with Nagisa. As the saying goes: It's about the quest, not the destination.
DigitalCommanderMay 7, 2014 4:39 PM
May 7, 2014 5:34 PM

Jun 2010
>Would it be better if Clannad was just After Story??

No.
It's would be the same as watching it backwards.
In a nutshell: "Who the fuck is Fuko/ Illu. World girl/ Mei/ Yoshino/ Nagisa/ Tomoya?"
"What is wrong with this Nagisa?"
"What the hell is Sanae's bread?"
And when we get to the punchline of the last ep, a big round "WAT?"
May 7, 2014 5:35 PM

Apr 2013
It would be better if Clannad never existed

To answer your question, yes. One reason why I liked Kanon so much was because it was much shorter and accomplished the same thing as Clannad.
May 8, 2014 1:15 AM

Apr 2012
Cupquake said:

To answer your question, yes. One reason why I liked Kanon so much was because it was much shorter and accomplished the same thing as Clannad.
Haha, you came to a Clannad sub-board to hate on it. I love you man.
HieiTrafalgarLaw said:
Anime is the reason why I live.
This is what every first comment should be like.
May 9, 2014 11:38 AM
Jun 2012
No because there would be less Kyou. And that is unacceptable.

-Arvis
May 9, 2014 11:42 AM

Jan 2014
Clannad is there to get attached to the characters. Not all of it is required to be able to feel the after story but either way having more good anime is never a bad thing.
May 10, 2014 9:44 AM

Apr 2013
ClannadQs said:
Cupquake said:

Haha, you came to a Clannad sub-board to hate on it. I love you man.

Nah. I was already on this board cause a thread I was following got moved. Going to the clannad sub forum usually takes too much effort.
Jun 5, 2014 3:47 PM
Jan 2012
xbobx said:
>Would it be better if Clannad was just After Story??

No.
It's would be the same as watching it backwards.
In a nutshell: "Who the fuck is Fuko/ Illu. World girl/ Mei/ Yoshino/ Nagisa/ Tomoya?"
"What is wrong with this Nagisa?"
"What the hell is Sanae's bread?"
And when we get to the punchline of the last ep, a big round "WAT?"

I believe xbobx hits most of the big points. In addition, I believe Clannad makes the story easier to relate to. Life in high school tends to be more fun and laid back, we all have to deal with a lot of the same problems as the characters, deciding what to do after we graduate, relationships, making new friends etc. After story focuses a lot more on real-life problems including love,loss,and really just growing up but doesn't explain the back stories of these. When we get into more emotional parts in after story we cannot fully appreciate them because we are not aware of where they come from. Of course, I admit I am largely biased since I graduated high school a year ago and I can strongly relate to a lot of the feelings in Clannad. And of course there is the most common point, Clannad helps with a lot of character development. This really helps in understanding the Sunohara-Mei arc and the

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - Oct 5, 2007

273 by D-A-W »»
Apr 19, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Oct 12, 2007

192 by Creepyy »»
Apr 19, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Awesmoe - Mar 28, 2008

349 by EM1LL3US »»
Apr 10, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KY791 - Mar 13, 2008

145 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:08 PM

Poll: » Clannad Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KY791 - Mar 6, 2008

214 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 6, 6:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.