Forum Settings
Forums

Author of One Piece Works From 5am Till 2am With No Day Off

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 29, 2012 7:14 PM

Sep 2011
Intense.
Nov 29, 2012 7:15 PM

Nov 2010
Orix said:
Call me if he's decided to give One Piece the closure it deserves. The people I hate more than people who create short stories with no resolution are people who create LONG stories with no resolution.

Better plan on the ending before you meet yours, Oda-sensei.
He already has had the ending planned out since the beginning.
Nov 29, 2012 7:15 PM

Feb 2012
He deserves respect.
Nov 29, 2012 7:16 PM

Nov 2011
DEMOLITION_D said:
darkmac said:
How does he work so much and still have such bad art?

With the fanbase One Piece has accumulated, I doubt he's got much motivation to try and make his shit look any better.

LOL You would how much he improved over the past years and how the art gets darker IF you read the series , that is . When it comes to weekly shonen series ,hands down One Piece has he best artwork , every op fans know how the art improved and how unique and creative it is , just look at his colour spreads .
Nov 29, 2012 7:17 PM

Nov 2011
Orix said:
Call me if he's decided to give One Piece the closure it deserves. The people I hate more than people who create short stories with no resolution are people who create LONG stories with no resolution.

Read the series , thats pretty much all i can say , it will answer your question .
Nov 29, 2012 7:18 PM

Jul 2011
Orix said:

He's said before he has the whole story planned out. You can tell with all the interconnected aspects of the series that it's true...
(He didn't just start OP and went along with it. =.=)

So don't say that. . _ .

And he needs to live long enough to create more even after One Piece!

Please keep healthy, Oda-sensei. :A:
Nov 29, 2012 7:27 PM

Jun 2009
fuck he sleeps less then em though this does expalin the weird but great art cause i knwo im most creative on the less sleep i have
Nov 29, 2012 7:30 PM
Jan 2010
IntroverTurtle: He should hurry. By how he's wasting his body (three hours of sleep, wtf), he's real close to burning out. The only question is when this will happen, or whether it has happened in the past without you guys knowing.

ZoroShiSon: I've decided long ago that I wouldn't touch the manga series.

MM-Rosiie: It's reality. There's so many authors that might have died before fully realizing their works of literature. There's The Wheel of Time series, and in Japan, the Kaze no Stigma series. Zero no Tsukaima's in danger as well, with its author seeking medication for his cancer.
Nov 29, 2012 7:33 PM
Dec 2011
Overworked mangaka. That's why their all dying. Rip Takahiro Yamato. Never even got to finish Kaze no Stigma. :c. Someone give this man a vacation
Nov 29, 2012 7:35 PM

Jan 2011
Orix said:
IntroverTurtle: He should hurry. By how he's wasting his body (three hours of sleep, wtf), he's real close to burning out. The only question is when this will happen, or whether it has happened in the past without you guys knowing.

MM-Rosiie: It's reality. There's so many authors that might have died before fully realizing their works of literature. There's The Wheel of Time series, and in Japan, the Kaze no Stigma series. Zero no Tsukaima's in danger as well, with its author seeking medication for his cancer.
Don't forget MM!
[color=#993300]
"I commend your courage, but I will show you no mercy."[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlCIPj1ZoM0]
[/color]
[/url]

Nov 29, 2012 7:45 PM
Jan 2010
^ Ah crap, yeah, I forgot Akinari Matsuno.

I agree, NervousWreck. Japanese people should learn how to give themselves a vacation once in a while.
Nov 29, 2012 7:48 PM

Aug 2010
Geez, he works a lot. I guess thats why One Piece is a quality manga.

Maybe it would be best if he finished the series soon.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 29, 2012 7:52 PM

Jul 2010
sounds like a workaholic.

Nov 29, 2012 7:53 PM

May 2012
MM-Rosiie said:
Orix said:

He's said before he has the whole story planned out. You can tell with all the interconnected aspects of the series that it's true...
(He didn't just start OP and went along with it. =.=)

So don't say that. . _ .

And he needs to live long enough to create more even after One Piece!

Please keep healthy, Oda-sensei. :A:

This SOOOO MUUUCH. This is surely one of the main, if not the top reason One Piece unlike almost all manga has not only maintained the quality of the story but has managed to make it more interesting and increase his fanbase. It is almost impossible to see this, even more in a long running shounen series.

The are long running series of different genres, with very dedicated fans, but to see something at the top for more than a decade and increase year by year its base and the quality of the work...its almost fiction.

malvarez1 said:
Geez, he works a lot. I guess thats why One Piece is a quality manga.

Maybe it would be best if he finished the series soon.

WHY? NO, we are 10 years short for that to happen, we are only halfway through it.

It will end when it has too, I am sure it OP will be at its peak when it does and wont be dragged on unlike certain other manga and mangakas.
9988Nov 29, 2012 7:56 PM
Nov 29, 2012 7:55 PM

Nov 2011
Orix said:

LOL ok then i don't even know why you are even talking , you haven't even read the series yet you are judging it , doesn't really make sense ,does it ??
Nov 29, 2012 8:02 PM

May 2012
xxJing said:
darkmac said:

This may have been an insult , but I will take the other path here and consider it an inquiry.

I personally would like to know that myself. Mainly because:

1. He must have a few assistants, every mangaka does. So he isn't doing it all himself.
2. He does around 17-20 pages a week , which is the norm.

So like people said, whether the art is good or bad is subjective. However level of detail is objective, and a higher level of detail takes more time. And while I love One Piece, I have never marveled at the art of it. On the other hand, there are other mangas like Mahou Sensei Negima for example, while the character design in that was extremely simple, I often wondered to myself how Akamatsu was able to draw such detailed buildings and backgrounds for 1 panel, it must have taken him forever. Air Gear by Ogure had some extremely detailed character designs and action scenes on the other hand. Both of those mangas, while they took frequent breaks, were weekly serialized and also around 20 pages each.

This article suggests that Oda works harder than any mangaka, meaning harder than Ogure and Akamatsu who have very detailed art in comparison. It just makes me wonder, what part of the creative process takes him so much time. As a side note, I can believe he barely sleeps, because only a hallucination induced imagination could produce the oddity that is the world of one piece.

Being the number one manga, keeping the story not only interesting but increasing its quality after 13 years, CURRENTLY BEING THE BEST, takes huge amount of time, believe it or not.

About the "bad art":

As some have pointed out, many people have simply no idea and misunderstand and confuse UNIQUE ART STYLE with "BAD/UGLY"

You are in your right to not like and art style, but you are totally wrong got call it bad or ugly because you dont like it.

If you wanna know what bad really refers to, refer to a good thread here on MAL about that, the indisputable king was TITE KUBO AND BLEACH. And further argues and corrects people like you that confuse unique art style with bad.

9988Nov 29, 2012 8:16 PM
Nov 29, 2012 8:20 PM

May 2012
Here, for those those saying OP has "bad" or "ugly" so you uhnderstand what really should be understoof by BAD:

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
bleach hands down

look at that quality

banas002 said:
Ai Yori Aoshi

I like the story but sometime the face and the body of the character really make me want to stop reading the manga

and I don't think Fumizuki's art getting better at Umi ni Misaki

GuZ said:
Ookami-Kaze said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
bleach hands down

look at that quality

This made me laugh so hard. While bleach isn't horribly drawn, it is extremely simplistic compared to the other shonen. There is always so much going on in One Piece panals, where in Bleach they just zoom into whomever is talking and get a close up on their lips.

Yeah, that's certainly true.

Pages like this always makes me lol:

meh better than this

Bleach chapter 354 page 4

or how bout Hunter x Hunter Togashi´s BAD:

WhichOneIsKirk said:

Not enough HxH in this thread.

Thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=405937&show=0
LunaNov 29, 2012 11:40 PM
Nov 29, 2012 8:24 PM

Oct 2008
As much as I love One Piece, I would much rather it go on hiatus and give Oda a month or two or three off than for him to suffer from over work. We have seen what happens to mangaka that overwork in several series.
Saiko worked so much on drawing that he ended up in the hospital.
Min Geun Soo in went blind from lack of sleep while drawing his manhwa in Can't See Can't Hear But Love.
Nov 29, 2012 8:25 PM

Feb 2008
JavierR said:
IntroverTurtle said:
I would be so damn sad if he dies, and especially if he dies before finishing One Piece.

DO NOT SAY THAT. PLEASE. My life would be incomplete

your life will be just fine. and if it is his time, it is his time.

still though....that is a lot of work for just drawing manga. even so, i suspect he does take lunch breaks and such....
Nov 29, 2012 8:26 PM
Nov 2010
One Piece is far from being "bad art". It's just not an kind of art that may be liked by everyone. I, for one, don't like it. The panels are totally saturated, I get bored of just trying to identify everything in them, and there are a lot of useess drawing making it even more saturated.
BUT, that doesn't mean the art it's bad. It's just a pretty specific style that I'm sure a lot of people like, science it shows just how meticulous it can be and OP fans may love all the details in there.

Aaaaand, of course, there's the people that mistakes character designs for art quality.

I hate One Piece art, and think of it as ugly, plain and simple. But if there's something i can't deny in it, it's the ammunt of work required and it's quality.
Nov 29, 2012 8:27 PM

Nov 2011
9988 said:
Here, for those those saying OP has "bad" or "ugly" so you uhnderstand what really should be understoof by BAD:

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
bleach hands down

look at that quality

banas002 said:
Ai Yori Aoshi

I like the story but sometime the face and the body of the character really make me want to stop reading the manga

and I don't think Fumizuki's art getting better at Umi ni Misaki

GuZ said:
Ookami-Kaze said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
bleach hands down

look at that quality

This made me laugh so hard. While bleach isn't horribly drawn, it is extremely simplistic compared to the other shonen. There is always so much going on in One Piece panals, where in Bleach they just zoom into whomever is talking and get a close up on their lips.

Yeah, that's certainly true.

Pages like this always makes me lol:

meh better than this

or how bout Hunter x Hunter Togashi´s BAD:

WhichOneIsKirk said:

Not enough HxH in this thread.

Thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=405937&show=0

DUDE , you went in LOL ,and this art is from the skypiea arc , the water 7 /enines lobby art is just like it was drawn in a month or something by how much details were put into and i don't think people need to compare One Piece art to hxh since it would utterly destroy the garbage art togashi puts out in 1 FUCKING YEAR.
LunaNov 29, 2012 11:39 PM
Nov 29, 2012 8:46 PM

Aug 2008
I love you Oda! :)
But I hope he'll be healthy all his life! :)
Nov 29, 2012 8:52 PM

Sep 2011
Lol, I read the title as "2am to 5am," and I was like, "hey, that ain't half bad!"
Nov 29, 2012 8:58 PM

Aug 2012
If I remember right, Oda was talking about how he takes every 4th week off to spend with his family. When it comes to work, this man works. When it comes to taking a break, he takes a break.
Nov 29, 2012 9:13 PM

Dec 2007
Homestuck said:
I'm fine with people being rude to a hard working man in this thread.
He can't hear you over his wads of money and smoking hot wife anyways.

All of this. Dude makes something like 22 million a year and though I haven't seen his wife, I bet she's hot. So, y'know, while all you haters sit there and bitch about the guy's art quality, realize that he's created a modern classic manga that's known all over the world, has the SINGLE MOST POPULAR ANIME IN JAPAN, makes a shit ton of money and your post counts on the internet are probably your most important contributions to this world.

And, before anyone says anything as a response to say "Oda's fans are dickriding/defending him"? I fucking hate One Piece. But I respect what this man has done. You should too.
Jumping in Headfirst - I hear reading it causes immortality. Warning. Reading may not actually cause immortality.
Nov 29, 2012 9:17 PM

Nov 2007
So, what's the point of the news? I only know from it that he's working too long.
tsubasaloverNov 30, 2012 12:37 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 29, 2012 9:19 PM

Nov 2010
tsubasalover said:
So, what's the point of the news. I know that he's working too long.
Obviously a lot of other people didn't know.
Nov 29, 2012 9:24 PM
Jan 2010
ZoroShiSon: People have no right to judge anything now? Fandom these days.
Nov 29, 2012 9:33 PM

Jun 2009
Orix said:
ZoroShiSon: People have no right to judge anything now? Fandom these days.

I would think people would be wise enough to realize that it is incredibly foolish to judge something before you even watch it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 29, 2012 9:40 PM

Jun 2010
The master. The God. The great Oda-sensei!
Nov 29, 2012 9:44 PM
Nov 2008
If you love your "work", your life will be amazing.
Nov 29, 2012 9:58 PM

Mar 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the hard working mangaka in Japan have a similar sleeping pattern. Oda probably isn't the only one. Same with comic book artists all over the world. Weekly deadlines and all.

That being said, Oda needs more sleep. Damn.
Nov 29, 2012 10:02 PM
Sep 2012
Avoiding everything else for work - Typical Japanese working man. This is one of the reasons why the birthrate in Japan is falling.
Nov 29, 2012 10:07 PM

Sep 2012
That's expected from Oda-Sensei.
Nov 29, 2012 10:33 PM

May 2008
-Envy- said:
Sasuga Oda-Sensei.
Nov 29, 2012 10:35 PM

Feb 2008
I see... Admirable Oda! If I needed a new reason to respect him, certainly, this would be it!
Nov 29, 2012 10:45 PM

Mar 2012
darkmac said:

The first comment of the thread, and I see this?

Someone beat me to it, but look at this.
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
bleach hands down

Do you think the art is a "bad art" now? Everyone have their own opinion, but one cannot say "bad art", just say you dislike it, you dont have to insult it. Sure, it looks cartoon-ish, and the quality aint that good at the beginning but compare the art from Chapter 1 to 500+ chapters.

This is the art quality in the beginning.

Color spread at Chapter 604.

If you still cant tell the difference of the quality, then... you need glasses.

I hope the best of wises to Oda-sensei, hope you're healthy and well + you need some sleep!
PS: Sorry, if something gets spoiled from the color pages.
LunaNov 29, 2012 11:38 PM

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Nov 29, 2012 10:47 PM

Nov 2008
And I dare complain when there's a release break.

Take care of your health Oda-sensei.. or none of us can ever find One Piece or go to Raftel :D

Nov 29, 2012 10:49 PM

Jul 2010
Lulexiaa said:
HE NEEDS A BREAK T^T

I wonder if he can still say he still has fun doing his job T___T

he took (deserved) break more often than any other mangaka in WSJ

well not including HXH mangaka though LOL
Nov 29, 2012 10:52 PM

Apr 2010
He needs some sleep, seriously.
Nov 29, 2012 10:53 PM

Mar 2012
If suddenly appreciate sleep a lot more.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Nov 29, 2012 10:54 PM
Mar 2011
That is good work ethic i could admire
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 29, 2012 11:06 PM
Aug 2011
I don't believe this.
Nov 29, 2012 11:13 PM

May 2011
Yeah, definitely a habit of true professional mangaka.
Nov 29, 2012 11:14 PM

Nov 2012
He should really get some well deserved sleep.

It would be disappointing if the series suddenly ends with the Strawhats in the middle of New World.
Nov 29, 2012 11:24 PM
May 2012
people need to stop focusing on the negative comments too much, it is a horrible sight...
if there is 1 comment out of hundred saying one piece suck whilst everyone else is saying it is great,
all 99 need to justify it....
it is obvious that oda has the best art there is, that one dimwit don't have to be convinced as long as you are aware of it...just my humble opinion reading this thread,
and I admire every mangaka out there for being that awesome, and i know mangas are totally worth their price
Nov 29, 2012 11:25 PM

May 2012
Your work sir is a masterpiece.
Nov 29, 2012 11:27 PM
Oct 2012
Well better stop complaining than... The only reason I kind of believe this post is because I have read Bakuman hahaha.
Nov 29, 2012 11:40 PM

Feb 2012

Doesn't that explain more? He invests more time in improving those thus getting less sleep.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - 16 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
16 minutes ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Today

21 by VanishingKira »»
4 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

95 by RobertBobert »»
7 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

2 by BankaiGoku »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - Apr 19

10 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.