Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 15, 2015 1:15 PM

May 2008
Rannta said:
Jonas said:
I'm still watching Slam Dunk (almost finished) at the moment, is it really worth it to read the beginning of Slam Dunk again? (starting at chp 1) or should I just read where the anime stopped? If the manga is much better, I would give it a try! Really like SD a lot. :)

It's not necessary. The anime didn't cut almost nothing of the manga. The additions of the anime are some filler episodes (but really funny) and a couple of matches (quite good).
Said that, You'll need time to do the transition of reading a manga. So, If the manga original starts at volume 23, I recommend reading volume 22 (the end of ryonan match) to identify characters and to discover the inoue style of doing the matches (lot of details).
Good to know. Thanks man!
Jan 17, 2015 1:56 PM
Sep 2014
Candor said:
DenjaX said:
I would say both animes still fulfill the entertainment for basketball fans out there regardless of the date it was aired. At least its better than the Dear Boys crap. xDD
I think it fulfilled entertainment for everyone except basketball fans. I mean seriously, why would a basketball fan enjoy an anime where a character shoots a full-court 3-point with 100% accuracy? Or a guy who can counter that 100% accuracy 3-point shot with jumping as if he's jumping on a trampoline? Or a fast player who shoots with his eyes in his ass also with 100% accuracy? And a copy-cat who can master that 100% accuracy ballet shot with also the same power? Not to mention the guy who can fucking steal the ability with also a 100% accuracy and the same power. There are lots of examples to mention, but I don't think basketball fans, well most of them, can enjoy KnB.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed KnB, but those things really irritate me to some points (I'm not a basketball fan), but I guess I was holding my expectations really high, I was expecting another SD, but I guess I was wrong, but still I'm really enjoying KnB (except the current game..)

i spaned all my time on either anime or basketball and yeah i gotta back you on this i facepalmed at lest 20 times while watching
Jan 23, 2015 7:30 AM

Jan 2010
Slam Dunk is not only superior in the sport aspect, but also humor and characters. Hanamichi is easily miles ahead of any character on KnB in terms of entertainment value. The things KnB is better is at pacing of the games as well as more focus on the sport than interactions outside the sport. That still does not make it better though. While the pacing of games is very slow in Slam Dunk, they make up for that with tons of entertaining moments involving Hanamichi, his gang, his love interest as well as other characters. Even the delinquent element in Slam Dunk is entertaining.
Jan 29, 2015 6:38 AM
May 2014
I play basketball and KnB kinda kills the sports for me but it's a good show and honestly can make me get hyped up like im watching OP or something, but slam dunk is completely different it has substance.
Feb 1, 2015 4:21 AM

Jan 2013
Jonas said:
Rannta said:
I really wish people read the manga because is great and has aged magnifically (like good mangas).
I'm still watching Slam Dunk (almost finished) at the moment, is it really worth it to read the beginning of Slam Dunk again? (starting at chp 1) or should I just read where the anime stopped? If the manga is much better, I would give it a try! Really like SD a lot. :)
The anime is pretty faithful, so you can continue the manga at where the anime left off from what I"m seeing. The only difference is that the anime has a buttfuck amount of flashbacks and filler to make up for time and the manga having significantly better art.
Feb 1, 2015 4:35 AM

Jan 2013
It's amusing how KnB tries to express the theme of "Teamwork" but every time a match happens, the focus is mainly on two characters and the phrase "One o One" is uttered more than any kind of phrase related to teamwork.

How dull.

Also, saying you can't compare Slam Dunk with Kuroko no Basket is laughable. They're both sports anime so accordingly, they can be compared as sports anime.

Even if you state comparing the former with the latter is like comparing apples and oranges, apples are still better
Feb 25, 2015 4:14 AM
Feb 2015
i noticed when i watching KnB over and over..it seems that kuroko tetsuya is not the main protagonist of this anime, but instead it's kagami taiga..too much focus scenes on kagami..its like Kagami no basket..
Mar 15, 2015 8:53 PM

Sep 2013
I enjoyed watching Slam Dunk when I was a kid. When I tried watching it again a few years ago, the show was unbearable to me. That's even before I started watching Kuroko. I get it that people are nostalgic about SD, and the show certainly has its charms and strengths, but it also has serious flaws. Dated animation (can't fault it for that though). Too many Mitsui flashbacks. Running jokes get annoying and repetitive (I'm a genius, unbelievable, Rukawa's fangirls) after a while. Matches take way too long (the Ryonan match took 18 episodes and people complain about KnB's matches being too long). And it's not like the length is justified. Too often very little happens in an episode (remember the Sakuragi free throw?). Too much focus on Sakuragi's antics (his continued grudge with Rukawa and constant mouthing off to opposition players) that end up destroying the flow of games. Finally the best match of the manga was left out entirely and we are left with an anticlimactic ending. Realism doesn't cover up all the problems the show has. And realism isn't the end all and be all of sports anime.
TorribleMar 15, 2015 8:56 PM
Apr 16, 2015 7:31 PM

Apr 2015
Slam dunk should rest in peace.
Why kuroko was better:
Exaggeration-kuroko win in this part. There are many exaggeration in slam dunk that many people failed/dont want to notice.
Excitement-obviously kuroko win this part
Realistic-only idioot will think that is was realistic that rukawa almost never miss.
Anime-obviously kuroko again,the only reason why slam dunk didnt go to inter high is the declining popularity.

I love slam dunk before,it was the only sports anime in my time.i will not keep loving slam dunk because it was the first. The story is good but it was not enough to be my favorite.
Kuroko is good and for me it was better than slam dunk in many aspect.
internet is a cruel mistress
Apr 21, 2015 2:37 AM

Apr 2015
I enjoyed both but gonna go with slam dunk

Hi
Apr 21, 2015 8:08 AM
Apr 2015
Daimyo said:
IntroverTurtle has been in this thread for months defending Kuroko no Basuke. Seriously, are you being paid to promote Kuroko no Basuke?

The way you promote this show is unwieldy. Look, we get it, you like Kuroko no Basuke. Leave the poor Slam Dunk fans alone. Just because we prefer a show with a superior cast of characters and a more realistic storyline created by a more critically acclaimed and experienced mangaka does not mean we deserve to be harassed by a rabid fan of a lesser quality work.

Every time someone prefers Slam Dunk over Kuroko no basuke (incidentally in this thread quite often) you're right there trying to slit their throat. Your rebuttal for anyone who says Slam Dunk is better, "Well, ugh, we need to look at this objectively not subjectively." When you have a thread asking for people's opinions, you're bound to get subjective answers. No point in bellyaching each time this happens.

Get over the fact lots of people prefer Slam Dunk. All the strawmans and complaining in the world won't change that.

edit: Holy fermented shit! I just checked you've been on this thread since 2012!

I thought I was the only one who noticed his rabidness. He was so rabid I started to think he was just trolling the SD fans. But it was pretty fun reading his replies, they're outrageous "Gundam makes more money than Slam Dunk and is less realistic so realistic = bad is a fact?"
PFFFFTTT X)
meowshuApr 21, 2015 8:48 AM
Apr 21, 2015 10:02 AM

Jun 2012
Slam Dunk's final game >>> anything in KnB
Apr 27, 2015 7:02 AM
Apr 2015
For me I would go with KnB. But in the end its completely opposite styles.. to say someone is stupid cause they enjoy one or the other more is just retarded..

On the note that Slam Dunk was slow because he started from scratch, isn't really the reason.. At least not for me.. Why I didn't like Slam Dunk was because they tried to make fun of everything and it was simply anyoying as old anime comedy is way over the top and pretty much ruined it for me..

An old school sport anime that is however amazing and with someone starting from scratch is Major... instead of focusing on comedy they focus on Drama and character development..
May 5, 2015 10:57 AM

Dec 2010
i try to watch slam dunk but just cant.the main character is a dick i hate him.i dont doubt hell get better at the sport but i hope he will become a better person,i just dont have the time to get through his shitty personality.
as a main character i wish he was more likeable.kuroko is what i like my main to be.the team gets along great and the games are not over the top long.i like the feels that knb gives me its not my favourite sports anime that goes to big windup, and so what if its unrealistic if the viewer enjoys the show it fulfill its purpose
May 10, 2015 8:14 PM

Aug 2013
w
hack5 said:
i try to watch slam dunk but just cant.the main character is a dick i hate him.i dont doubt hell get better at the sport but i hope he will become a better person,i just dont have the time to get through his shitty personality.
as a main character i wish he was more likeable.kuroko is what i like my main to be.the team gets along great and the games are not over the top long.i like the feels that knb gives me its not my favourite sports anime that goes to big windup, and so what if its unrealistic if the viewer enjoys the show it fulfill its purpose

wtf...sakuragi is definitely a better character than the dull kuroko....
Jul 8, 2015 2:07 PM
Jul 2015
I love anime and basketball and tbh you can't compare Slam dunk with KnB. Slam dunk is like Michael Jordan and Knb is like Darko Milicic. In all honesty i liked Dear Boys more than KnB. Yes..I did. What is all these 3 animes about? Basketball, right? And the basketball part of dear boys is 100× better than knb. Slam dunk is a million times better than dear boys. Knb had a good storyline but the basketball part pissed me off so much.
Jul 10, 2015 7:50 AM
Jul 2015
I cant believe ur saying that ur watching anime because of how its drawn. So u dont consider the story at all? These generation of anime are all about being cute/handsome but has a crappy story. SLAMDUNK WILL ALWAYS BE BETTER THAN KOROKO NO BULLSHIT. KNB r for girls who r fucking whores imagining one of the characters to bang them. This shouldnt be even considered an argument!
Aug 3, 2015 9:18 PM

Jul 2013
Rukawa is sexier than anybody in KnB
Sep 22, 2015 12:25 AM

May 2015
I'm backing you up man slam dunk will be the best never compare it to kuroko.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2015 7:27 PM

Jan 2012
I refuse to watch this show because of how terrible the animation is and it's just too old. Sue me. I have plans to read the manga at some point as I heard it was pretty good but Kuroko wins anime vs anime.
you sound poor
Dec 17, 2015 8:02 PM

Jan 2012
Glad to see that majority of users that replied in this thread , seems to agree that Slam Dunk is way superior to KnB .

Dec 18, 2015 4:24 AM

Aug 2014
Slam dunk would of course be better than KnB since it's something every basketball fan/player can relate to. KnB is just said as "better than Slam Dunk" by many wannabes, or girls who just like Kuroko.
sup
Jan 3, 2016 5:52 AM
Dec 2015
Slam dunk if they will have a interhigh but also knb is cool but still slam dunk
Jan 7, 2016 12:06 AM
Jan 2016
If you watch anime for realism, go watch series. Anime is made to bring out the fantasy in some people. You have absolute no right to deny that. Comparing Slam Dunk to Kuroko is just plain dumb. Slam Dunk is made for the people that actually enjoy real anime and Kuroko is for people that are more into some fantasy stuff.
Jan 14, 2016 10:10 PM

Oct 2013
Just completed watching Slam Dunk. AMAZING !!! Comparing it to KnB is kinda pointless since its more fantasy compared to SD's more realistic scenes. Also by reading some comments in this thread some users dont like SD because of its old sql animation?!?! Are you f...g kidding me!!!
Feb 3, 2016 8:14 AM
Feb 2016
HUGE basketball fan here and I loved kuroko no basket. No problem with it watching slam dunk now. Comparing the beginnings to both tho knb started off better.... Let's see
Feb 11, 2016 10:20 AM
Nov 2013
I'm sorry, but after reading Slam Dunk, KnB started to piss me off. I don't know, maybe I saw that it wasn't necessary to adapt "Naruto" into sports to do something that was interesting or the realism in SD made me really enjoy this manga because I used to play basketball when I was in school... The thing is, I cannot bear with the whole shit in KnB, come on? Rasengan Shoot? Emperor eyes? Really?
Apr 17, 2016 4:15 AM
Apr 2016
Ok i wouldnt say knb is bad but i just doing a litle bit research and i found out that slam dunk has over 120 copies in ONLY JAPAN make it the most behavior anime in the world imagine if slam dunk was made with good grafic like knb how much copies will it make
Jun 27, 2016 4:32 PM

Jun 2016
Slam dunk beat knb any day,any time it's just in a whole different level it's like comparing avatar to dance with the wolves
Jun 28, 2016 4:21 PM

Jun 2015
I read slam dunk until chapter 40? and I watched KnB til season 2 episode 18 and tbh Slam dunk -> KnB
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Aug 2, 2016 3:33 AM
Aug 2016
OldSchool is Cool
I prefer slam dunk
Sep 20, 2016 12:28 PM
Sep 2016
Look knb is entertaining but does not have a better story than slam dunk, and I watched knb first, if slam dunk had a reboot as an anime their would be a lot of turned heads.
Knb has potential from the get go but ultimately went down hill, how I would would changed it for a better story would have been, to first off not have not let koroko win their game against kise, and let them build up their confidence by winning the next actual games, and when kagami plays against aomine daiki for the first time they lose kagami, due to an injury from straining himself by playing against aomine this injury would have prevented kagami from playing competitively ever again in order to force the story more around koroko, than just being some side character.
Koroko would have push forward with a new mindset of becoming his own light, realize that he's not just a shadow.
Jakal_DavisSep 20, 2016 12:41 PM
Nov 8, 2016 12:25 AM

Jan 2016
Slam Dunk is so much better than KnB. Tensai Sakuragi is an awesome character than the lame Koruko, heck it should be Kagami no Basket, I have the copy of KnB's 3 seasons but I only managed to watch the Season 1 and based from the viewing experience. Kagami is the center of the show, even Kuroko said that he will be a shadow to Kagami's light, that is a definition of a sidekick character.

Kagami is the one who always battles the opposing team's Ace player. I stop caring in this Anime when the other member of the Generation of Miracles managed to shoot a full court shot with 100% accuracy. And Kagami's team didn't adjusted in time they should just call for a full court press defense to counter that movie but based from what I've read the Author of KnB don't know shit about basketball and the rules of it. I literally felt mad when lame Kuroko makes a punching/palming type of a bullet pass. I even post a screenshot of it in my FB timeline to vent out how ridiculous it is.

Anyways I plan to watch the S2 of KnB after I finished my Haikyuu marathon. I'm only looking forward to see the superhero moves of Aomine once again. He is the only character that I like in KnB.

Btw I also play Basketball and I still prefer the realism aspect in any Sports Anime like SD and Haikyuu. Maybe I'm just biased about Basketball because I also enjoy the added exaggeration of Eyeshield 21 and Hajime no Ippo but I feel like those type of added fantasy works well in those sports because it is not too over the top like in KnB. Prince of Tennis is also over the top when it comes to their individual skills but to me that's a boring sports so it needs flair and WTF moments just like that but Basketball Sports is already exciting in its own and you can create an exciting, edge of the seat, awesome type of game scenarios with out using special powers.
RedSon14Nov 8, 2016 12:30 AM
Dec 4, 2016 6:41 AM

Dec 2010
dennisixa said:
w
hack5 said:

wtf...sakuragi is definitely a better character than the dull kuroko....

sorry for the late reply,for u kuroko is dull but i just love his dont care attitude i dont doubt that slam dunk is better old school mostly is but i just cant get with the main character in slam dunk.You see i have what they call main character syndrome lol if the main is someone i cant stand it makes no sense to killing myself watching a show that would make me angry every episode.
Jan 1, 2017 11:49 PM
Mar 2016
Kuroko no Saiyan Basket or Kuroko no Shit Basket LOL
Slam Dunk is the best basket manga ever
i hope Anime could remake until Sohoku vs Sannoh
but that studio is Toei Animation, i doubt it will come true

and this isnt about Kuroko or Sakuragi
Overall Slam Dunk is almighty compare Shitty Basket which play by Kuroko
Jan 27, 2017 4:10 AM
Jan 2017
Comparing kuroko no basket to slam dunk is an insult to slam dunk in itself.
They are on entirely different level.
Feb 10, 2017 8:12 PM
Nov 2016
Man I have not watched Kuroko no Basuke but considering how much I am loving Slam Dunk I felt like seeing people's opinion.

To be honest. Much more amused that this thread is still alive :p
Jun 10, 2017 2:00 PM
Mar 2011
what has sold more i know slam dunk is older but over 80-85% dependomg on the Managa in question sales are first print run i knoe this for afcat and new print run does not happen until the first prin run is sold out

that us why slam dunk stopp takinf sales numbers in 2010 when this 4th print run was not sould out

this is what happens with repints run of older manga since the number is call sales numbers are really crucaktion numbers ie how musch the publiser has sold ot the stores

and stoes will not order another box until the whole box is sould out mind you every major store in Japan in the big sles era of manag when akk the tp three zines there going at over mlioon per isuues bo eache t order tha maor store[ id depenatsote would be aorund 100k per order]

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 11, 2017 4:21 PM
Aug 2017
KUROKO'S BASKETBALL STOMPS
Sep 18, 2017 11:55 PM
Jul 2017
For those who haven't seen Both the shows, KNB borrows heavily from Slam Dunk *cough* Kagami*cough*.
Also KNB was more bromance than basketball. Slam dunk had natural humour and gags without needing to resort to ecchi(but I am not complaining).
Personally I liked both the shows. However Slam dunk would have been much popular if they had shown the nationals like the manga.
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Nov 16, 2017 6:56 PM

Oct 2017
Well I don't even play basketball and I can objectively state that Slam Dunk is leagues ahead of Kuroko no Basuke. I read both manga pretty recently, so there's no question of nostalgia value. Kuroko no Basuke is just another regular seasonal anime with bishounen characters, quality animation (if you consider the anime) and quirky superpowers, capitalizing on a recent trend of sport manga popularity, which we will more or less forget in a few years. Whereas in Slam Dunk's case, it pretty much introduced the game of basketball to Japan at it's time and is considered an all time classic of the entire Shounen genre, not just sport. A lot of people say that KnB's artwork is better Slam Dunk, but I respectfully disagree. To me, even though KnB's artwork is more aesthetically polished, it can never even hope to match the emotions that Inoue Takehiko manages to create in his work. Even if I completely disregard the unrealistic basketball issue, Slam Dunk still absolutely dominates in character development (Sakuragi, Mitsui, Rukawa), art (the proportions, positions, expressions), atmosphere, involvement (Even Sendoh got me more pumped than most KnB matches)and humour (Do I even need to explain this, Dou Ahou). And finally, the pure perfection of the Shohoku vs Sannoh match... Nah, my opinion is pretty clear, KnB is hopelessly and hilariously outmatched.
Just check my manga list if you want the anime scores... I'd mostly rate them the same unless there's any significant change to the plot.
Nov 27, 2017 4:56 AM
Jan 2015
Epistemophile said:
Well I don't even play basketball and I can objectively state that Slam Dunk is leagues ahead of Kuroko no Basuke. I read both manga pretty recently, so there's no question of nostalgia value. Kuroko no Basuke is just another regular seasonal anime with bishounen characters, quality animation (if you consider the anime) and quirky superpowers, capitalizing on a recent trend of sport manga popularity, which we will more or less forget in a few years. Whereas in Slam Dunk's case, it pretty much introduced the game of basketball to Japan at it's time and is considered an all time classic of the entire Shounen genre, not just sport. A lot of people say that KnB's artwork is better Slam Dunk, but I respectfully disagree. To me, even though KnB's artwork is more aesthetically polished, it can never even hope to match the emotions that Inoue Takehiko manages to create in his work. Even if I completely disregard the unrealistic basketball issue, Slam Dunk still absolutely dominates in character development (Sakuragi, Mitsui, Rukawa), art (the proportions, positions, expressions), atmosphere, involvement (Even Sendoh got me more pumped than most KnB matches)and humour (Do I even need to explain this, Dou Ahou). And finally, the pure perfection of the Shohoku vs Sannoh match... Nah, my opinion is pretty clear, KnB is hopelessly and hilariously outmatched.

Humor, what kind of humor, i started watching slam dunk not to long ago, and i'm at 77 episode at this moment... The main character in this anime is the biggest insult to the viewers i have ever saw... The humor in this anime is childish, the gori jokes, the constant stupidity of Sakuragi, the silly remarks of Rukawa made me want to bash my head into the wall. Character development?? Rukava didin't change at all in the process of the anime, gori is the same gori, the only one who changed i guess is Sakuragi, but again all the changed he achieved will be thrown away without a second though for some silly,annoying,insulting humor.... I don't know about the manga, but this anime is garbage, all the 10-9 ratings for this anime as if it's some kind of masterpiece are laughable, at best it's some overrated classic, that people can't stop praising for no good reason.

I rather would have rewatched Ashita no joe again, instead of this garbage, but not kind of person who leave an anime half finished, i just hope i wont jump out of the window by the end of this anime....
Nov 27, 2017 6:02 AM

Oct 2017
NobleDogy said:
Epistemophile said:

Humor, what kind of humor, i started watching slam dunk not to long ago, and i'm at 77 episode at this moment... The main character in this anime is the biggest insult to the viewers i have ever saw... The humor in this anime is childish, the gori jokes, the constant stupidity of Sakuragi, the silly remarks of Rukawa made me want to bash my head into the wall. Character development?? Rukava didin't change at all in the process of the anime, gori is the same gori, the only one who changed i guess is Sakuragi, but again all the changed he achieved will be thrown away without a second though for some silly,annoying,insulting humor.... I don't know about the manga, but this anime is garbage, all the 10-9 ratings for this anime as if it's some kind of masterpiece are laughable, at best it's some overrated classic, that people can't stop praising for no good reason.

I rather would have rewatched Ashita no joe again, instead of this garbage, but not kind of person who leave an anime half finished, i just hope i wont jump out of the window by the end of this anime....

Humour, I guess is pretty subjective, I (along with plenty of other people, going by the reviews and the status this manga has in Japan) found it quite hilarious, you don't find it funny, neither of us are wrong, it's just that we have different senses of humour.

The point you make about character development, though, I completely disagree with it.
Going character by character, first we have Mitsui, whose development from a delinquent to possibly the most dedicated player on the Shohoku team, his regrets, and his determination in the last game, if that's not character development, I don't know what is. Miyagi, whose role is often underappreciated, his inferiority complex due to his short stature, and how he finally overcomes these mental blocks. Akagi, the only case where I feel you could argue less character development, also has moments such as the match against Kainan, where his injury-related fears and self-doubt is handled brilliantly in the manga. Kogure, despite being a minor character, displays this in the match against Ryonan. Now coming to the big two, most of Rukawa's development is towards the end of the manga, which you probably won't have seen, and the pay-off is one of the greatest moments in the entire manga. And finally, if you question Sakuragi's development, a guy who started off with basketball as an excuse to get the girl, to the person who,
I really can't decide how to respond. And the best part of Sakuragi's development is that it is gradual, you can almost see how he becomes a better player bit by bit, and I honestly think it is one of the best character development in the entirety of manga as a medium. The way the entire Shohoku team comes together at the last game is itself a huge moment of character development.

You judge one of the most proclaimed manga ever by not even reading the manga, and I believe that your thoughts about it ... 'this anime is garbage'... come off as too strong on considering you have just completed a little more than half of the anime, given that the anime itself is about half the manga. I believe that if you go into a particular series already thinking it to be massively overrated and bad overall, you'll never get to enjoy it, and your end judgement will be the same as your initial dismissal.

Ashita no Joe is indeed an underrated classic, but I do believe that both these manga share the same pedestal as iconic shounen, if only you give Slam Dunk a proper chance.
Just check my manga list if you want the anime scores... I'd mostly rate them the same unless there's any significant change to the plot.
Nov 27, 2017 7:59 AM
Jan 2015
Epistemophile said:
NobleDogy said:

Humour, I guess is pretty subjective, I (along with plenty of other people, going by the reviews and the status this manga has in Japan) found it quite hilarious, you don't find it funny, neither of us are wrong, it's just that we have different senses of humour.

The point you make about character development, though, I completely disagree with it.
Going character by character, first we have Mitsui, whose development from a delinquent to possibly the most dedicated player on the Shohoku team, his regrets, and his determination in the last game, if that's not character development, I don't know what is. Miyagi, whose role is often underappreciated, his inferiority complex due to his short stature, and how he finally overcomes these mental blocks. Akagi, the only case where I feel you could argue less character development, also has moments such as the match against Kainan, where his injury-related fears and self-doubt is handled brilliantly in the manga. Kogure, despite being a minor character, displays this in the match against Ryonan. Now coming to the big two, most of Rukawa's development is towards the end of the manga, which you probably won't have seen, and the pay-off is one of the greatest moments in the entire manga. And finally, if you question Sakuragi's development, a guy who started off with basketball as an excuse to get the girl, to the person who,
I really can't decide how to respond. And the best part of Sakuragi's development is that it is gradual, you can almost see how he becomes a better player bit by bit, and I honestly think it is one of the best character development in the entirety of manga as a medium. The way the entire Shohoku team comes together at the last game is itself a huge moment of character development.

You judge one of the most proclaimed manga ever by not even reading the manga, and I believe that your thoughts about it ... 'this anime is garbage'... come off as too strong on considering you have just completed a little more than half of the anime, given that the anime itself is about half the manga. I believe that if you go into a particular series already thinking it to be massively overrated and bad overall, you'll never get to enjoy it, and your end judgement will be the same as your initial dismissal.

Ashita no Joe is indeed an underrated classic, but I do believe that both these manga share the same pedestal as iconic shounen, if only you give Slam Dunk a proper chance.

This is why i judge anime not the manga, no mater how good the manga was, it does not matter, then it comes to the anime, it could have been a masterpiece for all i care, but it adds nothing to the anime.

Now again about development:

Miyagi, had no development at all either, he just came out of nowhere, and played well from the start, and the "inferiority complex due to his short stature", he never showed that in the anime, maybe on the manga it was expanded on, but again i'm taking about the anime.

Mitsui, this character was the biggest insult to me, the character who beaten up several players of basketball team, risked the whole team just because he was salty and in the end payed nothing for his actions just because he had rough past? What kind of lesson is that? You can be a dick as long as you had some hard time in the past? Well going past this insult, he did become the dedicated player of the team.

Akagi is Akagi the gorila, the most overused joke.

Well i will hope that the Rukava part will come true, but until then he has 0 development at all, and i am 79 episodes in right now, out of 101, more then half of the anime, and still he is the same person that he was at the start of the anime.

And here comes Sakuragi, yes he developed in terms of dedication to basketball and hes team/friends, but the dedication for hes friends was kinda established from the start with hes gang, so the main area this character was developed in was hes dedication for basketball, and most of the time it's enough for an anime. The problem i found with hes development was that it would usually be thrown away for few gags. Example would be the moment then he trained to shoot under the rim, i actually liked the scene, it showed hes dedication, and how he actually wanted to improve (he also didn't whine about doing same stuff over and over again like at the start), but it was all thrown away for some silly jokes (the scene where he would constantly rebound hes own shots and try to shoot over and over again).. So what was that training for, then he still misses like that, were is the reward for the viewer who is hoping that the main character he follows through the story improves. At the start jokes were fine with me (Sakuragi just started then, so it was bound to happen), but the amount should have went down, as the anime progressed to show that Sakuragi ain't a joke anymore, that hes training payed off, but at least up until this point (episode 79 :D) it didn't happen, he is still treated as joke like at the start of the anime, i understand that there are still 22 episodes left for me, but i expected him to change a lot more then he did by this point and it disappoints me, because the only times i enjoyed this anime was then it took serious tone, if it kept those dam joked outside the court or at least would have reduced them as the time passed it would been a lot better at least in my eyes.

Overall i don't think this anime deserves the acclaim it's getting, it's a good ---> anime <-- for those who gonna enjoy the humor, but if the humor is not your taste the anime will become i guess from something like 9-8/10 to something like 4-6/10. This anime seems to rely to much on it's comedy part.

Also there are other problems this anime:

It had way to many flashbacks, remember seeing same flashback several times in the course of the match, what kind of memory do they think the viewers have?

No payment for the actions the characters do, or the world itself, like how is Sakuragi still in high school, he should have dropped out by now, somehow he managed to get into like 9-10 grade while he seems to be mentally disabled ( the dude math skills are worse then a second grader, doubt that hes skills are better in other courses) thought that is a running gag in anime nowadays that i dislike quite a bit.

Maybe this anime is just not for me, but it won't stop me from at last giving it a 5 for a score even if the ending would rock my socks off, it won't really matter much but it will be at least something.
Aug 31, 2021 10:23 PM

Aug 2020
I do consider Slam Dunk to be the better one. It's got better characters, drama, storyline and overall enjoyability imo. Heck I'd even binge it nonstop if I have the time to do so. But hey, there's nothing wrong if you prefer KnB more.

Mar 25, 2022 12:47 PM

Apr 2018
As someone who likes kuroko, it's completely ridiculous to compare the two, and slam dunk is much better.

Jan 26, 2023 5:54 PM
Jan 2023
First of all I will mainly be talking about the anime, I’ve read the manga but picked up where the anime ended and it was great, the game that had me captivated till the end.
The pacing: literally the worst thing of the anime, Shohoku vs Ryonan 2 last 18 episodes, that is one less episode than the whole Freeza vs Goku fight did, I almost dropped it the anime during that as i had been not a fan of the pacing in the Shohoku vs Kainan and Kainan vs Ryonan games. Contrary Kuroko Basket pacing isn’t that bad certainly season 1 and 2 for me.

Animations: that are certain things that I liked about in the Ryonan vs Kainan match where Maki and Sendoh has that mirror-like thing for their face, other than some dunks here and there I wasn’t a fan of the animations, seeing as I had watched Kuroko before starting the slam dunk anime.

Character + development: I’ve always believed that some were nerfed in KnB so Seirin can win or protagonists to shine, I would liked if they lost that game for Kaijo in first season and also against Shutoku. Even tho some were third years and instrumental to the show, them losing both tournaments and coming back next year would’ve my go to.
For Slam Dunk I agree with Nobledogy to some extent, about Sakuragi, he says what is a screen in the sannoh game (correct me if wrong) like cmon bruh, instead of the amount of time wasted on him hitting his head on the backboard regularly, it could’ve went to this. Also the level of thinking he shows against Sannoh especially after that panel where he says I’m just a rookie was great and we didn’t see close to in the anime Rukawa did undergo some development like him passing that ball was surprising especially that last pass to Sakuragi match winning jumper and their hand shake. I would’ve liked guys like Mito Yohei getting more screen time, same with Imayoshi. Whether it sounds crazy or not, one thing that can actually make me like a character even more is their voice actor (I watch anime in Japanese and both Imayoshi and Aomine destroy anyone on SD based on that

Humour: the problem with the humour for me of SD is that they so overdo it, what was once funny becomes unfunny, the gorilla joke was unfunny from the first till the 1000 times it was used.
Antagonists: pretty weak imo, they like good basketball players but that’s mostly it and Shohoku has the better off court characters than pretty any team.

Personally if it’s anime only I’ll take KnB, I like the animations, some of the games had me hooked more which was also due to pacing being better.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Mar 24, 2008

78 by Ricky16 »»
Mar 25, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 27 Discussion

jacobpaige - Jun 8, 2010

25 by Koumazoku »»
Feb 17, 10:19 PM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 79 Discussion

Jawaese - Aug 10, 2011

9 by kensherman902 »»
Jan 20, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 41 Discussion

Jawaese - Jul 31, 2011

14 by kudzuken »»
Jan 1, 3:22 AM

Poll: » Slam Dunk Episode 40 Discussion

Jawaese - Jul 29, 2011

10 by kudzuken »»
Jan 1, 2:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.