MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Girls und Panzer Episode 7 Discussion
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Girls und Panzer »» Girls und Panzer Episode 7 Discussion

Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
View Poll Results: Girls und Panzer Episode 7 Discussion
5 out of 5: Loved it!

52 61.18%
4 out of 5: Liked it

24 28.24%
3 out of 5: It was OK

6 7.06%
2 out of 5: Disliked it

2 2.35%
1 out of 5: Hated it

1 1.18%
Voters: 85

11-29-12, 9:37 AM

Found this on another forum. A more comprehensive translation of the rules of Sensha-do(Panzerkraft in this translation) that was in the giveouts from the GuP website. Some are still untranslated:

Rules of Panzerkraft (excerpt)
Panzerkraft Competition Regulations (Japan Panzerkraft League)

1-02 Competition Format
There are two types of formats for matches; Elimination Battles and Flag Battles, as designated by the League.
In Elimination Battles, the render inoperable all of the opposing team's vehicles.
In Flag Battles, the objective is to render inoperable the opposing side's Flag Vehicles, to be designated beforehand.

2-02 Limitations of Numbers of Vehicles
Each team may not field more vehicles than the number designated by the League.
However, it is possible to field less than the designated number.

2-03 Match Location
The boundary lines of the competition field will be determined by the League.
競技場は、試合まえ72時間までに規定の書式の地図(競技区*)、**、
軽度、気*状況が、競技者双方に提示される。
The participants will be allowed to inspect the presented competition field, however, until it is presented to them, the area will be off limits and access to it denied.
In the event that the competition field is modified, notice of the modification must be made to the League within 24 hours of the modification.
連盟はその異*を24時間以内に**し、異*が*当と認めた場合は速やか
に*正を行うこととする。

3-01 Participating Vehicles
The only vehicles allowed to participate are those whose designs were completed before August 15, 1945, OR vehicles that had begun prototype trials by that date, OR vehicles whose construction was planned using only materials available before that date.
Vehicles meeting these requirements must be confirmed to be constructed using materials that were available at that time.
For vehicles that were only in their planning stages, the League will decide their eligibility on a case-by-case basis.
However, in the event that there is difficulty supplying the appropriate parts, the League may determine the extent that reproductions and modifications are allowed.

3-02 Supplemental Equipment
All tanks must be fitted with League-sanctioned referee equipment.
Furthermore, for the safety of the participants, the crew compartments are required to be fitted with League-approved armored mantles as an added safety measure.

3-03 Usable Cannons
All rounds are to be League-sanctioned live ammunition; production of your own warheads or charges is not allowed.

4-02 Determining the Outcome of Battles
Elimination Battles The team that renders all the opposing team's vehicles inoperable is the winner.
Flag Battles The team that renders the opposing team's Flag Vehicle inoperable is the winner.

4-04 Conditions for a Loss
The referee equipment has determined a tank to be inoperable
All particpants have abandoned their tank
The Judges determine that a match cannot continue
(In the event that referee equipment declares a tank is still operable, the Judges may decide that the damage inflicted is still such that it cannot continue to operate)
The Judges determine that a rule violation has taken place

4-06
A tank may not be operated after it has been declared inoperable.
The participants will wait for the orders of the Judges, and comply with them as quickly as possible.

5 Prohibited Actions
a) Using unregulated equipment or parts
b) Voluntarily leaving the designated competition area
c) Firing directly on humans
d) Attacking a non-operable vehicle
e) Disrespecting the judges or other participants
f) Actions that are judged to be "throwing the match"
Engaging in any of the above acts will result in a disqualification.

6 Compensation
The Japan Panzerkraft League will provide compensation for all incidents involving structures, and for the restoration of landscape, within the boundaries of the competition field.
Modified by zenjamibu, 11-29-12, 7:56 PM

11-29-12, 9:39 AM

[quote=ErwinJA]Discussed in one of my earlier posts and on the first page IIRC. The prototype Porsche Tiger was slightly faster than the Henschel version, but either inferior or equal in every other category. The Henschel version was chosen because it did not require scarce materials needed for other applications (copper) and because it was much more reliable and agile. However, the one Porsche Tiger that saw combat had additional frontal armor added, so it would be better protected than a normal Tiger. That would give a rude shock to T-34s (especially the 85mm version) if they rushed head-on to get close only to find their rounds still bouncing off.
And for doctoring, it can't be done. The defining feature is that the turret is at the front of the hull rather than the middle. The only way to disguise that would be to keep the tank in a hull-down position.[/quote]

Since its a night battle where they may not be able to see the profile, they could also position the tiger in such a way to draw Pravda into a frontal attack. Could be a way to quickly even the numbers should that be an issue. Would also make for an awesome scene (imagine positioning the tank in some narrow passage, or between two hills, maybe even sacrifice a couple of the smaller tanks to get the Pravda team's blood flowing, have the remaining tanks supporting the flanks, and then goad the T-34s into rushing what they think is a normal tiger but this one has the extra armor, shocking the hell out of the Pravda commander when their shots bounce off.

Again probably not but one can dream. Also thanks for the information. You made a point I had missed much clearer in my mind. Really appreciate it.

11-29-12, 9:44 AM

[quote=zenjamibu]
5 Prohibited Actions
[/quote]

Thanks for the list. 5F has me wondering though. Seems like one of those "one of these things that doesn't belong here" type of things, which of course suggests that it is there for a reason.

What reason, I have no idea, but it will probably pop up in the next 5 episodes.

11-29-12, 9:51 AM

Preview images for ep.8
http://girls-und-panzer.jp/story_08.html

Interesting.

11-29-12, 12:01 PM

zenjamibu said:
Found this on another forum. A more comprehensive translation of the rules of Sensha-do(Panzerkraft in this translation) that was in the giveouts from the GuP website. Some are still untranslated:

The only vehicles allowed to participate are those whose designs were completed before August 15, 1945, OR vehicles that had begun prototype trials by that date, OR vehicles whose construction was planned using only materials available before that date.
Vehicles meeting these requirements must be confirmed to be constructed using materials that were available at that time.
For vehicles that were only in their planning stages, the League will decide their eligibility on a case-by-case basis.

Interesting. vehicle in prototype trials by August 15, 1945(V day over Japan and the end of WWII) . That means Pzkpfw VI Tiger II, JagdTiger and of course Pzkpfw VII, Maus is eligible. Not to mention British A43 Black Prince (Possibly the best British tank, 17pdr as the Sherman Firefly with the Churchill armored hull) and maybe even the Centurions(there were prototype with the same 17 pdr as the Sherman Firefly). It will be great to see them on the competition esp the Maus.

Modified by Jyuu-niDesu, 11-29-12, 12:31 PM

11-29-12, 2:18 PM

zenjamibu said:

1-02 Competition Format
There are two types of formats for matches; Elimination Battles and Flag Battles, as designated by the League.
In Elimination Battles, the render inoperable all of the opposing team's vehicles.
In Flag Battles, the objective is to render inoperable the opposing side's Flag Vehicles, to be designated beforehand.

2-02 Limitations of Numbers of Vehicles
Each team may not field more vehicles than the number designated by the League.
However, it is possible to field less than the designated number.

2-03 Match Location
The boundary lines of the competition field will be determined by the League.
競技場は、試合まえ72時間までに規定の書式の地図(競技区*)、**、
軽度、気*状況が、競技者双方に提示される。
The participants will be allowed to inspect the presented competition field, however, until it is presented to them, the area will be off limits and access to it denied.
In the event that the competition field is modified, notice of the modification must be made to the League within 24 hours of the modification.
連盟はその異*を24時間以内に**し、異*が*当と認めた場合は速やか
に*正を行うこととする。

However, in the event that there is difficulty supplying the appropriate parts, the League may determine the extent that reproductions and modifications are allowed.

3-02 Supplemental Equipment
All tanks must be fitted with League-sanctioned referee equipment.
Furthermore, for the safety of the participants, the crew compartments are required to be fitted with League-approved armored mantles as an added safety measure.

3-03 Usable Cannons
All rounds are to be League-sanctioned live ammunition; production of your own warheads or charges is not allowed.

4-02 Determining the Outcome of Battles
Elimination Battles The team that renders all the opposing team's vehicles inoperable is the winner.
Flag Battles The team that renders the opposing team's Flag Vehicle inoperable is the winner.

4-04 Conditions for a Loss
The referee equipment has determined a tank to be inoperable
All particpants have abandoned their tank
The Judges determine that a match cannot continue
(In the event that referee equipment declares a tank is still operable, the Judges may decide that the damage inflicted is still such that it cannot continue to operate)
The Judges determine that a rule violation has taken place

4-06
A tank may not be operated after it has been declared inoperable.
The participants will wait for the orders of the Judges, and comply with them as quickly as possible.

5 Prohibited Actions
a) Using unregulated equipment or parts
b) Voluntarily leaving the designated competition area
c) Firing directly on humans
d) Attacking a non-operable vehicle
e) Disrespecting the judges or other participants
Engaging in any of the above acts will result in a disqualification.

6 Compensation
The Japan Panzerkraft League will provide compensation for all incidents involving structures, and for the restoration of landscape, within the boundaries of the competition field.

League-sanctioned live ammunition is a bit vague, its good to hear the cut of date for vehicles is 1945, no overpowered MBT's but at least they left it open to prototypes of that era.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
[img]http://i.minus.com/i55QBTOSKfmHD.gif[/img]

11-29-12, 10:07 PM

^ Thank you very much, zenjamibu & no_good_name.

Something else that I would like to see has to do with the middle paragraph in the left column of this GaruPan poster:
http://girls-und-panzer.jp/img/special/giveout2.jpg

I believe that this text is the same as the voiceover that was used when the girls watched that orientation video about Panzerfahren in the gym during the first episode.

(1) It would be nice if somebody could type out the Japanese text and post it here (in Japanese). That way, we GaruPan fans can copy and paste it into something like Microsoft Word and make an attractive poster. Is there some kind of character scanning software that lets somebody do this quickly? I know that English can be automatically scanned into a text file. I realize that it would be a major hassle for somebody to have to type it out by hand.

(2) It would also be nice if somebody could make a sentence by sentence translation that matches the Japanese text mentioned above. I know that the subs were pretty good, but maybe some extra explanation would be nice. However, I realize that doing this translation would be a lot of work. If somebody can please do (1) then we fans can use Google Translate to do our best to understand the meaning of the original Japanese.

As for the bottom paragraph in that same left column, symbv did a very nice translation into English which is posted here somewhere. It is extremely interesting, since it is a statement of the philosophy of Panzerfahren as written by Miho's mother, Shiho Nishizumi.
Modified by okanagan, 11-29-12, 10:20 PM

11-30-12, 1:59 AM

ErwinJA said:
The thing is that they seem to be Italian themed (Italian wartime performance has been a running gag for the past century), and a close inspection of the tanks reveals some sad units. Two of those vehicles are armed only with machine guns, and harmless to anything except maybe the Type 89. With that in mind, I'm more interested in how they got to the second round to begin with!

They faced the French team in the first round. (Insert surrender joke here)

It would appear that Anchovie has a bigger role in the manga.

11-30-12, 6:58 AM

MrRogers said:

Easy enough:

Why is the Avenue des Champs-Elysees lined with trees? Because the German's like to march in the shade.

Q: What’s the new French flag look like?
A: A white cross emblazoned on a white background!

A man askes his companion, "What's the most common French expression"? His friend scratches his head, shrugs his shoulders and replies, "I give up!"

Rumor has it that those French tanks have 6 gears, 5 reverse and 1 forward. Just in case they're attacked from behind, that's where the forward gear comes in handy

11-30-12, 7:52 AM

Takuan_Soho said:
MrRogers said:

Easy enough:

Why is the Avenue des Champs-Elysees lined with trees? Because the German's like to march in the shade.

Q: What’s the new French flag look like?
A: A white cross emblazoned on a white background!

A man askes his companion, "What's the most common French expression"? His friend scratches his head, shrugs his shoulders and replies, "I give up!"

Rumor has it that those French tanks have 6 gears, 5 reverse and 1 forward. Just in case they're attacked from behind, that's where the forward gear comes in handy

For sale: A french rifle, never fired and only dropped once
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。

11-30-12, 8:16 AM

no_good_name said:

Hehe, gotta love those French Jokes: another one: what is the smallest history book in the world? French Military victories.

Though in the spirit of Edwin and bowing to Finland, it should be pointed out that the average French soldier was brave and fought well.

In the wars that they lost, the French soldiers fought with courage and to the death, people forget that they lost a lot of men in WWII because it seemed to happen so quickly. The real issue with the French wasn't their men, but rather their leadership, starting from their political leaders on down. With one or two exceptions, their military leaders were completely outclassed, and their political leaders were all too eager to surrender so that they could stay in power.

A good example of this would be the Franco-Prussian war. Napoleon III led his forces into a simple trap, Paris at that time revolted and formed the Paris Commune. They successfully held out against the Germans, until the French leaders (who hated the Commune more than the Germans), made a deal with the Germans to help defeat the Commune. Afterwords the French government massacred the members of the Commune. Some leadership, eh?

I think Communism is the dumbest and worse form of government thought of by man, but when you read mid 19th century history, you can easily see why so many people favored it.

11-30-12, 9:21 AM

Takuan_Soho said:
no_good_name said:

Hehe, gotta love those French Jokes: another one: what is the smallest history book in the world? French Military victories.

Though in the spirit of Edwin and bowing to Finland, it should be pointed out that the average French soldier was brave and fought well.

In the wars that they lost, the French soldiers fought with courage and to the death, people forget that they lost a lot of men in WWII because it seemed to happen so quickly. The real issue with the French wasn't their men, but rather their leadership, starting from their political leaders on down. With one or two exceptions, their military leaders were completely outclassed, and their political leaders were all too eager to surrender so that they could stay in power.

A good example of this would be the Franco-Prussian war. Napoleon III led his forces into a simple trap, Paris at that time revolted and formed the Paris Commune. They successfully held out against the Germans, until the French leaders (who hated the Commune more than the Germans), made a deal with the Germans to help defeat the Commune. Afterwords the French government massacred the members of the Commune. Some leadership, eh?

I think Communism is the dumbest and worse form of government thought of by man, but when you read mid 19th century history, you can easily see why so many people favored it.

Their leadership was hidebound (even by ww1 standards) the free french elements that managed to evacuate fought bravely to liberate france, then you have the resistance fighters who spent 4 years sabotaging and gathering intelligence on the germans, i think they redeemed themselves in the end.

Yes communism wasnt the best choice around but you have to hand it to them: they sure could march well (i always liked the soviet parades in red square)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。

12-01-12, 1:46 PM

This episode was a bit meh...At least they upgraded to some better armour. They're going to need it.
If you reply to one of my comments, please PM or write on my wall me so I can read/respond in kind. I won't bite, I promise.

12-01-12, 5:21 PM

Wow, Mako's grandma is a feisty one! Miho's mother and sister on the other hand, are very strict.

Oh and yay, new tanks! A Renault even (French, must've given up :P).

Sadly we didn't get to see the match, but I'm glad they won. Hopefully we'll get to see the match against Pravda!

12-01-12, 7:52 PM

The railway company (Kashima Rinkai Railroad) is apparently very excited about Episode 7 of GaruPan. They have a webpage which shows four stills from the long scene ( from 04:23 to 05:04 ) where the five girls take the train from Mako's grandmother's hospital back to the ship. Here it is:

http://www.rintetsu.co.jp/archives/3268

After the girls get off the train, as they are walking through the Ooarai train station, you can see a red sign in the background ( at 05:08 ) which says 大洗まいわい市場. This is advertising the Ooarai Maiwai Market. The sign is there in real life. The five voice actresses made an appearance there as part of the festival on November 18th.

Here is the market website: http://www.oarai-maiwai.com/

Before the match against Gloriana, the Student Council President (Anzu) told Miho that, if they won, Miho would get a three day supply of dried sweet potatoes ( 干し芋 / hoshi imo ). See Episode 3 at 17:08. It turns out that you can buy many kinds of these dried sweet potatoes at this market. The website features them right at the top of their list of "Gem Products" ( まいわい市場の逸品 ).

See here: http://www.oarai-maiwai.com/products/detail.php?product_id=4

They are not cheap. So I think that Anzu was very generous to offer Miho a three day supply.

This series seems to be full of product placements. If there is some kind of tank that you don't see, my guess is that the tank manufacturer wasn't willing to pay the GaruPan producers enough. The Char B1 bis we saw in Episode 7 is a great advertisement for Renault.
Modified by okanagan, 12-02-12, 12:46 AM

12-01-12, 7:59 PM

okanagan said:

The railway company (Kashima Rinkai Railroad) is very excited about Episode 7 of GaruPan. They have a webpage which shows four stills from the long scene where the five girls take the train from Mako's grandmother's hospital back to the ship. Here it is:

http://www.rintetsu.co.jp/archives/3268

After the girls get off the train, as they are walking through the Ooarai train station, you can see a red sign in the background which says 大洗わいまい市場. This is advertising the Ooarai Maiwai Market. The five voice actresses made an appearance there as part of the festival on November 18th.

Here is the market website: http://www.oarai-maiwai.com/

Before the match against Gloriana, the Student Council President (Anzu) told Miho that, if they won, Miho would get a three day supply of sweet potato chips. It turns out that you can buy many kinds of these chips at this market. The website features them right at the top of their list of "Gem Products". See here: http://www.oarai-maiwai.com/products/detail.php?product_id=4

They are not cheap. So I think that Anzu was very generous to offer Miho a three day supply.

This series seems to be full of product placements. If there is some kind of tank that you don't see, my guess is that the tank manufacturer wasn't willing to pay the GaruPan producers enough.

This series must be doing wonders for this cities tourism industry, is it true that GuP basically copied it?
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。

12-01-12, 8:07 PM

no_good_name said:
This series must be doing wonders for this cities tourism industry, is it true that GuP basically copied it?

They didn't BASICALLY copy it. They EXACTLY copied it! In the caption, the railway company tells you the precise spot on the railway line. And of course they also tell you the specific model of the train. I searched on Google Maps for the specific location of that scene and it is on a particularly lovely part of the rail line, not far from the ocean. Yes, it is an advertisement! I would love to go there.

The caption for the second picture gives the location as 鉾田市安塚地区. So it is close to the city called 鉾田市 in the district called 安塚地区. 市 means "city". 地区 means "district". You can locate it for yourself by going to http://maps.google.co.jp and entering these seven Japanese characters (cut and paste). It will take you to within 1 km from the exact spot! Look carefully at the lake in the background of the GaruPan scene. Then look carefully at the lake in Google Maps. By matching it, you can figure out where they were on the line. Unfortunately, they don't have any Google Street Views there. However, there are some nearby photos showing the lake, the tracks and a train apparently of the same type that the girls were riding on.

The only inaccurate thing in GaruPan is that Ooarai doesn't have the two enormous docks to accommodate the giant ships. Everything else is spot on.
Modified by okanagan, 12-01-12, 8:54 PM

12-01-12, 9:22 PM

okanagan said:
no_good_name said:

They didn't BASICALLY copy it. They EXACTLY copied it! In the caption, the railway company tells you the precise spot on the railway line. And of course they also tell you the specific model of the train. I searched on Google Maps for the specific location of that scene and it is on a particularly lovely part of the rail line, not far from the ocean. Yes, it is an advertisement! I would love to go there.

The caption for the second picture gives the location as 鉾田市安塚地区. So it is close to the city called 鉾田市 in the district called 安塚地区. 市 means "city". 地区 means "district". You can locate it for yourself by going to http://maps.google.co.jp and entering these seven Japanese characters (cut and paste). It will take you to within 1 km from the exact spot! Look carefully at the lake in the background of the GaruPan scene. Then look carefully at the lake in Google Maps. By matching it, you can figure out where they were on the line. Unfortunately, they don't have any Google Street Views there. However, there are some nearby photos showing the lake, the tracks and a train apparently of the same type that the girls were riding on.

The only inaccurate thing in GaruPan is that Ooarai doesn't have the two enormous docks to accommodate the giant ships. Everything else is spot on.

Well if i ever get rich i'm going to go there, import a tank and re-enact GuP and then promptly get arrested......or just wander around with a camera.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。

12-01-12, 11:43 PM

no_good_name said:
Well if i ever get rich i'm going to go there, import a tank and re-enact GuP and then promptly get arrested.....

It is a good idea. However, before you do it, make a deal with the GaruPan producers to get 10% of the merchandising rights for the T-shirts, action figures (of you) and limited edition items. Keep in mind that GaruPan souvenir action figures are correct even to the color and style of the underwear, so you should get that spelled out in the contract. You should also approach several manufacturers ( of World War II tanks ) as sponsors. Try Renault, Porsche, Henschel, Vauxhall, Mitsubishi, Českomoravská Kolben-Daněk . . .

12-02-12, 12:04 AM

okanagan said:
no_good_name said:
Well if i ever get rich i'm going to go there, import a tank and re-enact GuP and then promptly get arrested.....

It is a good idea. However, before you do it, make a deal with the GaruPan producers to get 10% of the merchandising rights for the T-shirts, action figures (of you) and limited edition items. Keep in mind that GaruPan souvenir action figures are correct even to the color and style of the underwear, so you should get that spelled out in the contract. You should also approach several manufacturers ( of World War II tanks ) as sponsors. Try Renault, Porsche, Henschel, Vauxhall, Mitsubishi, Českomoravská Kolben-Daněk . . .

I would have to go with Henschel as they produced the tiger, i wonder if Ooarai will get a tank museum or something along those lines (would be expensive as hell to set up but would be awesome)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。

Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices