MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Romantic anime with mysterious male as a love interest?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime & Manga Recommendations »» Romantic anime with mysterious male as a love interest?

11-26-12, 7:17 AM

Hi everyone,

I need some recommendations for a romantic drama. I have seen lots of romantic comedies like Chobits, Love Hina, etc, and want something more dramatic.

I liked Vampire Knight, so I want something alike with more action (not just 1 kiss for 13 episodes) and decent plot. Nana was great. I am currently watching Peach Girl and it's garbage plot-wise. I liked Fruits Basket, just wish there were some more romantic "action"

All Will Be Well

11-26-12, 10:14 PM

Kaichou Maid Sama for sure, even though you have it on your list. Mysterious alright lol.
I think you'd like Star Driver too, i'm also watching this series and it's good in my book.
I also think you'd like Shingetsutan Tsukihime, plenty of action there. :D

ONE MORE!
D.N Angel, don't let its looks deceive you.

11-27-12, 12:34 AM

Seconding Shingetsutan Tsukihime. While I don't really think it was as good as other anime made by Type/Moon, it's still a great show and it fits into what you requested.

I would also like to recommend

Another - There isn't a lot of "action," as you put it. In fact, there really isn't any at all, but it's still a great show. Very mysterious. Also, you will understand at the end and after watching the final OVA exactly why there isn't any action, so there is definitely a reason.

Nazo no Kanojo X - There is "action," but it's not your typical action. It also has some really funny moments, but it's very mysterious, as the title translates to "Mysterious Girlfriend X". Basically, the main male and female lead quickly get into a relationship right off the bat, so there is no tedious waiting until the very end of the anime, which I agree is lame. I really liked this one when it came out and it was one of the only anime at the time that I eagerly waited for each upcoming episode.

I also saw that you are planning to watch B Gata H Kei. I really loved that one. It's hilarious. You should DEFINITELY watch that one when you get a chance. It's worth it and it's actually a good romance too.

Another one on your planning to watch list... School Days. It's definitely not your typical romance, to say the least. If anything, you should watch it just to say that you watched it. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot.

11-27-12, 1:44 AM

I second Kaichou wa maid sama for a hot sexy mysterious male lead....Gotta love Usui :) One of my favorite male lead characters.
A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!

11-27-12, 6:01 AM

Thanks for suggestions! I knew I was on the right track. I feel like the closest to what I am looking for was Gravitation - character wise the love interest was perfect...

It almost seems like romantic plot is better in yaoi
All Will Be Well

11-27-12, 8:32 AM

kittenmittons said:
Hi everyone,

I need some recommendations for a romantic drama. I have seen lots of romantic comedies like Chobits, Love Hina, etc, and want something more dramatic.

I liked Vampire Knight, so I want something alike with more action (not just 1 kiss for 13 episodes) and decent plot. Nana was great. I am currently watching Peach Girl and it's garbage plot-wise. I liked Fruits Basket, just wish there were some more romantic "action"

Just realised you're watching Peach Girl.....Umm I didn't like it at all. Not a great romance anime imo.

I can recommend Steins Gate - It's a fantastic anime and the romance subplot is very good....way better than Peach Girl.
Modified by -winnie-, 11-27-12, 8:36 AM
A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!

11-27-12, 8:52 AM

Oh yea, Peach Girl was painful to watch at times, but I finished it last night..

like I said, I wish there was another Gravitation out there, that isn't yaoi. That anime was the best romance/drama I have seen.. with action ;)
All Will Be Well

11-27-12, 9:07 AM

If you don't mind reading a manga (don't worry, it's short) - Shinrei Tantei Yakumo - Akai Hitomi wa Shitteiru is pretty good (you could also try reading the new version, but I'd read the "original" one first) - from what I know the anime isn't as good as the manga.

Full Moon wo Sagashite, did a great job drama-wise. I can still remember that I cried a lot.. and I really mean a lot.
Better don't judge it just because it is a shoujo. The songs are also pretty catchy .. (and I'd advice to also read the manga after having finished the tv series).

12-10-12, 12:49 PM

I watched Maid Sama and wasn't too hot about it... almost no action... i guess I am looking for a tsundere male and more than just 1-2 kissed for the entirety of the show
All Will Be Well

12-10-12, 1:05 PM

Kamisama Hajimemashita. It's still airing, but it reminds me a lot of Fruits Basket, and the male love interest is ungodly attractive and has a mysterious past. It has a little action, but it's more comedy/romance.
Modified by goldrose, 12-10-12, 1:16 PM

12-10-12, 1:08 PM

If you are just looking for a strong male lead, with alot of kissing and action you should definitely try Campione! (http://myanimelist.net/anime/12293/Campione!:_Matsurowanu_Kamigami_to_Kamigoroshi_no_Maou)

12-26-12, 8:05 AM

Kamisama Hajimemashita looks interesting, I will try it out

I am looking for a female lead who is pretty innocent, meets tsundere and etc - pretty standard set up
All Will Be Well

12-26-12, 9:00 AM

Natsuyuki Rendezvous - This anime has a lot of drama and romance that were portrayed emotionally and physically. While it's not the best one out there, it sure has a solid drama that will at least leave an impression. It's something that every josei-lover must watch in my opinion.

Nodame Cantabile. Best rom-com I've watched by far. It starts off slow and only minimal hints of romance were suggested in the earlier part. Though if you want that "romantic action", it starts from its sequel Nodame Cantabile Paris Chapter.

12-26-12, 9:05 AM

I have watched 2/3 of Nodame and dropped it... just got bored of it and didn't really connect with characters that much :(

thanks for suggestions!
All Will Be Well

12-26-12, 9:12 AM

I guess we have varied opinions and I respect that. But of course, I still beg to insist to finish the remaining 1/3 to see what you'll think about it.

Oh, and you're welcome.

12-26-12, 2:22 PM

Well not realy drama but you may like:
Zero no Tsukaima
REC
Onegai Teacher
Toradora!
Romeo X Juliet
Kimi ga nozomu eien
Spice and wolf
Sword Art Online
Eureka Seven
Dragonaut the resonance

Seconding Steins Gate

12-27-12, 6:54 AM

Thanks for suggestions... I dropped Kimi ga nozomu eien last week at 2/3 of the show, it was just boring, unwatchable....
Everything else I haven't seen so I will add it to PTW.
All Will Be Well

Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices