Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 14, 2007 9:38 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Wow, Shigeno (father) hit Momoko! That's just...wrong.

Decent episode I guess. I thought that was kinda stupid to bring up that elementary school accident between the red-head guy and the annoying manager. Oh well though.
Feb 14, 2007 10:49 PM

Jan 2007
yeah, it was ok. i'm still waiting for that baseball game
Apr 14, 2010 4:35 PM

Feb 2008
I think someone who hits his wife for speaking the truth doesn't really deserve to be forgiven, especially not that easily.

he should ask his dad to coach the team after he retires, assuming he doesn't get a better job offer from management the way Honda did.

Xinil said:
I thought that was kinda stupid to bring up that elementary school accident between the red-head guy and the annoying manager. Oh well though.

I think it was mainly brought up so that Goro can dismiss it later as the whining of a substandard, unmotivated wannabe athlete, since the mangaka seems to think that sort of thing is cool.
May 15, 2010 9:12 PM

Sep 2008
I swear Momoko is not regretting that she married Shigeno. He's a failure indeed.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2011 5:59 AM

Aug 2010
I started to not hate Hideki in S2, turns out he's still a childish faggot. :/
Jan 23, 2012 9:12 AM
Apr 2011
Lol I don't like Shigeno hitting Momoko. :/ Bet Honda wouldn't do it if he was here, just saying. Oh well it was pretty interesting to see something different. Not that excited to watch the next episode though, really dislike how Goro keeps going on about his one man play. Baseball is a team sport, even though it does heavily rely on the pitcher, somebody gotta really push that fact into his brain. Hope Shimizu does it hehe :3

Only thing I'm worried about is that Goro won't improve much or at all. He improved a lot in less than a year due to the training at the Dream Island and then the coaches at the 2nd string dorms helped him as well. However now at Seishuu, there probs won't be anyone skilled enough to teach or help him other than his dad who just retired.
devilzzyJan 23, 2012 9:17 AM
Apr 27, 2012 4:59 PM

Mar 2011
I really don't like seeing men hit women; so not right.

Go Goro! Beat those fools!
May 4, 2012 11:38 PM

Jun 2011
devilzzy said:
Lol I don't like Shigeno hitting Momoko. :/ Bet Honda wouldn't do it if he was here, just saying. Oh well it was pretty interesting to see something different. Not that excited to watch the next episode though, really dislike how Goro keeps going on about his one man play. Baseball is a team sport, even though it does heavily rely on the pitcher, somebody gotta really push that fact into his brain. Hope Shimizu does it hehe :3

Only thing I'm worried about is that Goro won't improve much or at all. He improved a lot in less than a year due to the training at the Dream Island and then the coaches at the 2nd string dorms helped him as well. However now at Seishuu, there probs won't be anyone skilled enough to teach or help him other than his dad who just retired.

Well, Honda did do something terrible to Goro when he's down too, during the time he was fired. People do tend to act on their emotion sometimes when they face problem, though I don't like the fact that Shigeno hit Momoko. Just hope that he won't ever do that again! Also, hope he got a job soon, of course, baseball related

The problem about Goro's improvement, well I do agree that he didn't get much stronger than when he left Kaidou, but I am excited to see how will he overcomes the obstacle.

One more thing, the Yamada foreigner teacher is pretty funny.. HAHA "Shige Nogoro" LOL
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 26, 2012 11:47 PM

Jun 2009
She didn't deserve to be hit, but I don't think Momoko was completely innocent in the exchange either. I think you should just give the guy the benefit of the doubt instead of being a bunch of judgmental ass hats all the time. If, he did again, though I wouldn't find myself as easy to forgive him.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 12, 2013 12:14 AM

Jul 2008
Oh dear, the Shigeno haters got all the fuel they wanted with this episode. Still Momoko did not deserve that.
Jul 14, 2013 8:16 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, Shigeno is so hated here. I don't dislike him at all but hitting his wife is really wrong.

I like season 3 more than 2!
Oct 26, 2013 10:30 AM

May 2009
Hitting his wife is wrong but you have to consider the stress and image he has to uphold.... plus he said sorry and even retired because of these actions. He's been a great father up to that point. It's kinda surprising nobody here thinks that way.

Not being able to forgive someone even though he's had a good record up to this point is such a stupid way to think imo. Just think about it, if you were the son or wife of this man, would you forgive him atleast once? Yeah that's what I thought.
Dec 9, 2013 1:05 AM

Aug 2009
jacobpaige said:
I think someone who hits his wife for speaking the truth doesn't really deserve to be forgiven, especially not that easily.

Exactly. I'm sure he was stressed and etc..but to hit your wife? No excuses.
I felt neutral about him, didn't really like him or dislike him. but now I don't like him at all. And for her to forgive him so quickly is just too unrealistic for me. He smacked her in front of their son. come on! he needs to earn her back.

Dec 22, 2013 12:21 AM

May 2012
Hehe, so much hate for the old man Shigeno.. but I am glad that his issues were fixed easily and was not prolonged.. and Goro indeed really like to play the One Man team.. I was hoping to see some more teamwork here but I guess this show focus more on Goro.. but anyway, it is still interesting.
Mar 15, 2014 4:42 PM

Dec 2012
Yamada seems like a chill and funny guy.

A good range of emotions this episode. I was pissed off at Shigeno, but I think it's wrong to hold a grudge against him for that one incident. It's good he snapped out of it asap instead of completely falling into it and the retirement is probably exactly what he needed. Now it's Goro who plans to continue the legacy of both of his fathers. Yokohama huh? I wonder if there's anyone from the Mifune Little League there.
Apr 13, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2011
I actually like Shigeno. He was there for Goro and his family when Honda died. The amount of people who got mad at him just because he married Momoko was a bit silly, though. Still, hitting your spouse is not really okay..... But, he snapped out of it in the end so, I can't really stay mad at him for that long.
FastnessofWheelsApr 13, 2014 8:55 PM
May 28, 2014 10:18 AM

May 2014
Hmm.. so sad that Shigeno hit Momoko-san.. At least he made up for it at the end. Also it's kinda nice to see Shigeno and Goro fighting too! Lol. That manly fight and then talking heart-to-heart.

ToG25thBaam said:
One more thing, the Yamada foreigner teacher is pretty funny.. HAHA "Shige Nogoro" LOL

^ HAHA! THIS! XD
violityMay 28, 2014 10:43 AM
Dec 31, 2014 1:09 PM

Nov 2009
Love the English Teacher, might not be in love with the new teammates, but the coach will certainly be a character I like seeing around. Anyways, it was kind of shocking seeing Shigeno let himself get into a slump like that, to even go as far as hitting Momoko . . . I'm glad everything is alright now though. Aside from that, what kind of coach would recommend a player to do stuff like stay up late gambling, drinking and especially smoking . . . Horrible coach.
May 24, 2015 11:10 PM

Feb 2015
rpn101 said:
Hitting his wife is wrong but you have to consider the stress and image he has to uphold.... plus he said sorry and even retired because of these actions. He's been a great father up to that point. It's kinda surprising nobody here thinks that way.

Not being able to forgive someone even though he's had a good record up to this point is such a stupid way to think imo. Just think about it, if you were the son or wife of this man, would you forgive him atleast once? Yeah that's what I thought.

I agree with everything you just said.
Jun 30, 2015 11:24 AM

Aug 2013
Some people seem to forget that Honda did get drunk when his wife died and totally neglected Goro. Does that make him in overall a terrible father? Of course not. He failed at that time, but it doesn't erase all the great thing he did for Goro. Shigeno acted in a childish way in this episode. What he did was wrong, very wrong. But in the end, he acknowledged that it was wrong. I swear it, some of you better not work at a prison rehabilitation team, because you would just tell every prisoners to kill themselves... Someone who is looking to make up for his errors should be able to seek it. Even though there is some exceptions, I admit.

We'll see a match finally! Is it me or Shimizu was playing in the preview? Or was it about a softball game? In any case, Goro can probably win a game only by himself, but that wouldn't accomplish much...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jul 22, 2015 10:08 AM

Jun 2009
lmao @ all these people hating shigeno in all these threads just because he got with their waifu. you want me to call the WAAHMBULANCE? pretty much everything shigeno has done since the start of the series (except for what he did in this episode, obviously) has been great. honda was alive for 6 episodes, he mostly did nice things but he also drunkenly neglected his (3 year old?) son. the fact of the matter is, none of you would know what honda would do in this situation since he's fucking dead. everyone is different and everyone reacts to situations differently. this reaction to this situation was realistic. but i guess i can't expect much from typical anime watchers.
Aug 7, 2015 3:14 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode. One of the more emotional episodes since the first season.
5/5
Mar 24, 2016 7:16 PM

Mar 2012
Just when Shigeno starts growing on me he pulls this shit. Then Momoko saying "I'm a failure as the wife of a pro baseball player" in a joking manner just made me want to barf.

ToG25thBaam said:
devilzzy said:

Well, Honda did do something terrible to Goro when he's down too, during the time he was fired. People do tend to act on their emotion sometimes when they face problem, though I don't like the fact that Shigeno hit Momoko. Just hope that he won't ever do that again! Also, hope he got a job soon, of course, baseball related

What? Are you talking about the time he didn't let Goro get trained by the Dolphin's coach because he was too little so it would have been dangerous for his body to start that early? That is completely different lol. He didn't do it out of anger brought from not being able to pitch anymore but instead for concern of Goro's body/future. Hell every time Goro was upset at Honda it was due to him misunderstanding Honda's actions when they were for his sake.

Not a spoiler, just a big quote.

Oh come on, it is completely reasonable that people are upset at what he did. Hell even if it was Honda who did it people would've still gotten pissed at him for doing that. It's also not a matter of looking at his perspective since it doesn't change the fact that what he did was wrong. Even if you did he just did it out of self frustration and fear of retirement which is a shitty reason to hit her just because she was tired of his crappy behavior and told him the truth he didn't want to hear.

As for how he was forgiving it, felt badly done due to how quick it was so people were still annoyed at his previous actions. And speaking of realism, it would've been more realistic of her spending the night at her parents rather than this dispute being solved a few hours later.

Him being forgiving was inevitable, people were just reasonably pissed off at what he did. It's a very logical reaction to something that should bother a normal person in one way or another.
Apr 20, 2016 9:53 AM

Feb 2013
Shigeno you shouldn't hit Momoko under any circumstance, I've changed my opinion about you.
They are going to play a game?
There are only two members.
Aug 30, 2016 11:23 PM

Feb 2008
I bet if anyone else was in Shigeno's shoes, they'd do the same. Guy's entire career was going downhill, his son says baseball is shit, he was just really depressed. He needed comfort, not a provocation. Both failed here as people, so it's unfair to hate just Shigeno and not Momoko as well.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Feb 14, 2017 7:35 AM

Jul 2015
Oh this is a heartbreaking episode ;__;
A retirement is one of the hardest decision that an athletes take.
He is a really great father too and I think most people will do what he had done to Momoko. He is on a really desperate position.

But if you are a good man, you will always be a good man. He apologized for what he had done to Momoko has shown him that he really a dependable and good husband and father
Aug 30, 2017 9:57 PM

Nov 2011
I don't hate Shigeno and was never against his marrying Momoka, but that was bullcrap. He absolutely should have been called out for his crappy behavior, and hitting his wife is completely unacceptable. I don't mind Momoka forgiving him, but that shouldn't have been framed as equal wrongdoing. Shigeno did way way more wrong in that situation than Momoka did.

My anger was mellowed out by Shingo being the cutest kid I've seen in awhile, thankfully. I'm glad it worked out with Shigeno too despite getting mad over how the apologies were framed.

As for the baseball team... eh. I hope I won't be going "eh" toward the baseball the whole season, but it doesn't seem like it will improve any for awhile.
Dec 29, 2017 4:31 PM

Nov 2016
No matter how shitty Shigenos behaviour was in this episode,showing this side of him definitely made him more human imo,but of course I can also see the side of people who perceived that in a different way.

Anyways,great episode,loving the family drama in this show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 10, 2018 8:02 PM

Jul 2016
Brutally intense episode. I have to agree that this was a good shake up for the series as a whole since it was so unexpected. Good to see everything get resolved and they became a happy family again :).
Mar 8, 2019 4:17 PM

Oct 2013
That season started really strong

I really liked how every seasons feels like a new beginning. Goro is at zero again, trying to start a new baseball club to play baseball over and over again.

The humor was great until this episode. This time there were more emotional moments present.

Liking the new characters of this season.

Disliked Momoko in the beginning but this episode made her great again. Shigeno acted kinda weird but I think his burden was too heavy. Great to see Goro let him finish his career.

Looking forward to see another baseball game with Goro pitching and with his schoolmates cheering for him.

The progression of the show is stunningly good!
My only regret is having regrets!
Feb 27, 2020 2:34 PM

Dec 2019
Well he shouldn't hit her but in the end it worked out, i guess now goro has to play a 1v9 game seems hard!
                                                         🖤   

Oct 16, 2021 2:55 PM

Jul 2015
Shigeno hitting a low was unexpected and while Momoko can be a nagging wife, she didn't deserve a slap and honestly didn't need to apologize as her points were valid. Well glad that it got resolved quick as I'm not too interested in that drama especially with the bigger problem of Goro not having a complete baseball team.

Dec 6, 2021 7:38 AM

Apr 2016
I don't think I will be able to like Shigeno anymore after this.
I can understand the frustration he feels, but... that doesn't excuse hit her wife.
Dec 7, 2021 9:43 PM
Feb 2021
ZetaZaku said:
I bet if anyone else was in Shigeno's shoes, they'd do the same. Guy's entire career was going downhill, his son says baseball is shit, he was just really depressed. He needed comfort, not a provocation. Both failed here as people, so it's unfair to hate just Shigeno and not Momoko as well.
Lmao that ashita no joe scene always get me, back when kids used to smoke haha,also somewhere in the series the kids trigger missiion impossible background music..
Oct 27, 2022 1:35 PM

Jul 2022
Finally, some much needed development between Goro and his family.
Heaven above! Hell below!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Major S3 Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

alfe - Oct 1, 2007

51 by unclearjustice »»
Dec 15, 2023 1:25 PM

Poll: » Major S3 Episode 25 Discussion

Xinil - Sep 27, 2007

36 by unclearjustice »»
Dec 15, 2023 12:49 PM

Poll: » Major S3 Episode 23 Discussion

hyakuiro - Aug 26, 2007

21 by unclearjustice »»
Dec 15, 2023 12:48 PM

Poll: » Major S3 Episode 2 Discussion

Xinil - Feb 4, 2007

30 by Bigdog77778 »»
Oct 26, 2022 12:57 PM

Poll: » Major S3 Episode 19 Discussion

HawthorneKitty - May 16, 2010

28 by Arshj »»
Apr 22, 2022 5:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.