Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 22, 2012 9:28 AM

Apr 2011
Ok so I'm sure many have wondered or came up with their own explanation of the ending.
Tell me what you thought it meant to you personally.

For me, those last words game me my final thoughs on what happened.
"I am Tetsuo"

To me that was like saying he was the new Akira, since they suffered the same fate, unable to control the power.
Aug 12, 2013 10:21 PM

Apr 2012
My interpretation (based purely on the film):

They make a new universe when that big black sphere takes a chunk out of the surface of Neo-Tokyo and vanishes; that universe is Akira, containing the three other test subjects. This exists in a separate reality; Akira took Tetsuo away from wreaking havoc in our time and space.
Their rather cryptic closing talk has the girl saying something like "it's too much, it's too big as we are now but one day we'll be able to (...)", "it's finally begun..." etc which made absolutely zero sense in its original English form but leaves it more open for us to imagine how this universe and their control of their powers will evolve.

At the end ("I am Tetsuo") we're seeing the mind/energy/universe of Tetsuo awakening to his identity as a pure being. You can draw parallels to "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" and "I think therefore I am". They are literally gods in their own worlds.

There are also more comments earlier on from the scientist we didn't have in the old English dub (I remember it being much vaguer), such as "this is clearly a proton collapse" which helps with a more subatomic/ big bang physical interpretation of their powers.

I think Akira was actually able to control his power. It depends what you mean by "control", the guy's basically a black hole having attained transcendence. He could've done far worse with the first apocalypse but didn't, leaving our world instead, and everyone just thought him dead. What the kids all mostly feared was him being awoken rudely by Tetsuo which would cause unpredictable wider devastation. In the end the 3 called him back more peacefully (well, it's all relative!).
BlackoutingAug 12, 2013 10:28 PM
Dec 8, 2013 12:42 PM

Mar 2013
my interpretation is that the psychic powers that tetsuo and the others used were once the power that was used to form the universe. this is because this power if mastered can make you a god. akira was becoming a god which they decided to do all those tests on him that ended up destroying his body and since you can never kill a god he survived (if only in spirit) and that is why you saw him when the containers holding his organs broke. when tetsuo lost control of his powers the 3 kids sacrificed themselves to stop him and then they all became one with the universe as sorta gods. this is my interpretation sorry if it isnt clear but i am having a hard time putting my thoughts into words
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

May 20, 2014 6:04 PM

Mar 2013
I think at the end when the black sphere is expanding its like another big bang. The scientist dude even said "It's like a universe is being born". And when he said "I am Tetsuo, it's kinda like he's saying I am god.
Jan 20, 2015 1:47 AM

Jul 2013
Personally I think the energy they're talking about all the time is the universe it self - spirit and "universe" are similar. When Akira died he was put in to the "flow" of the universe, for reasons you're supposed to derive at this wave, flow, called Akira materialised himself again to make his own spirit the space for which Tetsuo's spirit could reside in as a wave - aswell as the children. Akira's mind was previously fused with the original universe's "space" - and he became the omipotent "wave" in the universe - he became god. And therefore he was possibly also the one who brought up the fate of Tetsuo receiving his powers - Akira became fate itself. Which prompts the question - maybe Akira was just lonely? Maybe he just wanted to be in comapny of someone like himself? Wouldn't it be great to create a universe were.. the whole universe is created from that which makes Akira..Akira?
Jun 3, 2015 10:40 PM

May 2015
TheGrayMan said:
Personally I think the energy they're talking about all the time is the universe it self - spirit and "universe" are similar. When Akira died he was put in to the "flow" of the universe, for reasons you're supposed to derive at this wave, flow, called Akira materialised himself again to make his own spirit the space for which Tetsuo's spirit could reside in as a wave - aswell as the children. Akira's mind was previously fused with the original universe's "space" - and he became the omipotent "wave" in the universe - he became god. And therefore he was possibly also the one who brought up the fate of Tetsuo receiving his powers - Akira became fate itself. Which prompts the question - maybe Akira was just lonely? Maybe he just wanted to be in comapny of someone like himself? Wouldn't it be great to create a universe were.. the whole universe is created from that which makes Akira..Akira?

This is along the lines of what I was thinking it meant too. Thank you for the clarity, I watched the English version & I'm certain that A LOT was lost in translation.

I feel like Akira transcended beyond enlightenment, possibly into a 4th/5th dimensional being... Seeing/hearing/feeling/being/etc everything, all at once. Ultimate oneness.
The wolves are at my door... And I can see the writing on the wall.
Jun 6, 2015 12:35 PM

Jul 2013
inf1nity said:
TheGrayMan said:

This is along the lines of what I was thinking it meant too. Thank you for the clarity, I watched the English version & I'm certain that A LOT was lost in translation.

I feel like Akira transcended beyond enlightenment, possibly into a 4th/5th dimensional being... Seeing/hearing/feeling/being/etc everything, all at once. Ultimate oneness.

Great to have somebody actually understanding what you've been saying and actually coming up with similar things!

More topics from this board

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

Poll: » Akira Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Friendlysoul - Apr 12, 2008

215 by Seihou_Wukong »»
Mar 25, 7:21 PM

» Akira is not cyberpunk, it's just a paranormal genre

TheRedComment - Jan 22

46 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 22, 5:34 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM

» Am i the only one who think that akira is a bad movie? ( 1 2 )

Harley3579 - May 14, 2019

59 by peterross »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.