Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 10, 2008 1:29 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

*Mod edit*
aeroNov 17, 2008 3:36 PM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Nov 10, 2008 2:42 PM

Nov 2007
dude....I just got mindfucked....jesus christ

I havent been left in this state since well....ep 7 of season 1 O_O
Nov 10, 2008 3:17 PM

Feb 2008
This whole 嫌なのに-thingy was excellent. Pure mindfuck. :D
And then this brilliant 嘘つき.

I liked it, very stylistic.
Nov 10, 2008 8:07 PM

Dec 2007
Man, that ending was absolutely insane! But I have to say, only SHAFT can pull something like that off and get away with it.
I also loved the scene with sketchy Yuu-kun shouting out to Yuuko. The movements were very fluid or something, I think (This is completely random but it reminded me of Tomoya from the Tomoyo OVA at the very end). I also liked the tarot card refrence thingy... And Yuuko's eyes in that one scene freaked me out... At the very very end I kept on thinking Higurashi with the bat and the rain (at least I think it was a bat...). Heck, Yuu-kun even mentioned Uso da once in this episode.

Good episode, though I'm saddened at the lack of Mizuki. Maybe next episode...
Nov 10, 2008 9:48 PM

Jan 2008
I suppose the virginity symbolizations is quite clear in many forms with Yuko and get interpreted as Yuko that may want to go further with Yuu BUT she does not trusts him. Sure they kissed and talked but YUU HESITATED after hearing Yuko's secret and pain. CAN HE HANDLE IT? DOES HE DOUBT HIMSELF in handling all this situation.

Erm I'm not sure if your just implying on Yuu's behalf but Yuko already lost hers, it was mentioned in the part right before the X;s & O's patterns scene(if u want trans'd details I got). Besides that this was pretty messed up and it was like a slap in the face.
just-awayNov 10, 2008 9:51 PM
Nov 11, 2008 1:33 AM

Jul 2008
I COULD not fit this in one post so please feel free to read to get ALL YOU NEED ABOUT THE TAROT INFORMATION. A new meaning awaits you I PROMISE YOU!

TAROT CARDS+Explanation of their meanings UNDERSTAND THIS and YOU WILL ALL KNOW ABOUT YUKO!

Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Nov 11, 2008 11:18 AM

Apr 2008
This episode was... wow.

I can't find a good word to describe it. It's just too awesome. And making your head explode.
Nov 11, 2008 11:58 PM

Feb 2008
didnt i mention in ep 5 forum
knew yuko was raped by that art teacher
loved the last part of "usoutski"- this part scared me though

n btw was just it me or that at the last part of kuze n miyuki were similar artwork of sayonara zetsubou sensei ( i mean since its both made by shaft)
Nov 12, 2008 12:24 AM

Jul 2008
king4k2 said:
didnt i mention in ep 5 forum
knew yuko was raped by that art teacher
loved the last part of "usoutski"- this part scared me though

n btw was just it me or that at the last part of kuze n miyuki were similar artwork of sayonara zetsubou sensei ( i mean since its both made by shaft)

YOU MEAN THIS:
Nov 12, 2008 5:44 AM

Feb 2008
king4k2 said:

Because it's a work of Kumeta-sensei, the author of SZS manga. His name was in the credit.
Nov 12, 2008 9:03 AM

Apr 2007
My God...

There is no more despicable crime. There is nothing more humiliating, nothing more painful, nothing that can destroy a woman further than this. It's despicable, and unforgivable. Yuuko's monologue at first made me tear up, then it made me cry, and then it made me stare at the scream with mixed emotions. It's like episode 7 of memories all over again. When she started saying how often it became, and... I just have no words.

What is more painful to Yuu? To know the girl he loved was broken by someone, or to know that a simple outburst in the past, something he didn't even calculate or put much thought into, could grow to be something like this? Does Yuuko hate him? Love while hating? Forgave him? Can he forgive himself?

This... I have no more words.

I hope that man is brought to Justice. I don't care if he has his own personal reasons for what he did.

*takes a deep breath*

On another note... I don't think Nagi was in love with Yuu now. I wondered for a while, but I think she was just feeling left behind. Everyone was moving on, and getting farther and farther away, and in the end, she was the only one left and... alone. Even if it wasn't true, even if she was just being paranoid, that feeling is so overwhelming. I just feel her more now, as a character, and it was just sad to see her crying.

I knew this episode would be bad the moment the OP hit and it had no lyrics. And then the logo was in a different color, and the final credits were in red. I curse you for the good imagenery, SHAFT. ef continues to be as beautifully tragic as always.
MaxwellLilyNov 12, 2008 9:15 AM
Nov 12, 2008 11:35 AM

Mar 2008
AngelLily said:
ef continues to be as beautifully tragic as always.

well said.
well it left me a tad confused, but i think i know whts going on from reading all your comments so thanks.
wow mind-blowing. as expected of ef
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 12, 2008 11:36 AM

Jul 2008
Something I wanted to add since I just saw subbed and am TT_TT TT_TT

I just finally saw the subs! OMG again TT_TT , the worst with those red points again but this time I think I counted like 20 to 30 instances of different types of abuse ranging from mild verbal to brutal physical!

I calculated that 365x2 would be about 730 times x2 or x3 a day of those 730 times with more or less some days brake I would have to say about 1500 different variations of abuse.......

FOR real life deal..............I would think about it and if I would meet a girl like Yuko.............I WOULD MURDER THE GUY! *_* I would not care whether GOD would hate me............I WOULD DO IT for the pain amount a girl such Yuko would suffer and THAT MY FRIENDS AT THIS POINT is none other than DEATH TO THAT PERSON. Sure I would be a murder but SO BE IT!
angel999Nov 12, 2008 11:55 AM
Nov 12, 2008 11:43 AM
Apr 2007
Oh god I wasn't expecting something like this.My poor, poor Yuuko I would love to kill that ''brother'' of hers.
Nov 12, 2008 2:33 PM
Dec 2007
- skipping Angel's comments and screencaps as usual -

Hmmm very nice last scenes (largely due to the incredible performance of Yumiko Nakajima), both absolutely pathetic and incredibly stylistic, and we get to see a darker side of Yuuko's mind (and body even if we don't actually see it). Very good episode overall, I'm waiting for the next one.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 12, 2008 6:10 PM

Sep 2007
I... wow.

So um. The people at Shaft can accomplish this kind of thing in one week intervals. That's... pretty amazing. This episode reminded me of why I loved the first season.
Nov 12, 2008 6:18 PM

Dec 2007
Brillant episode. End of story.

As many have said, this is far worse than the Miyako epiosde in the first season. Absolutely horrific.
Nov 12, 2008 6:18 PM

Oct 2007
"It was ten years too late." T__T

NOTHING is too late, never and ever.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 12, 2008 6:22 PM

Oct 2007
An opening song left without words, without people, left empty...
and an ending filled with pain, regret, and sorrow. It looks like melodies is finally starting to pick up.

That last scene where Yuko was showing her scars day in and day out, I don't even have words to describe it. I actually didn't realize that I was holding my breathe the whole scene until I started feeling slightly dizzy. How frightening.

How can someone with so much pain and suffering go on every day smiling and being so understanding? Or perhaps she is just lying to herself and everyone else. What does Yuu think about all of this? It was obvious from the beginning that he didn't want Yuko to be a replacement for his sister; it would only bring him greater pain. How ironic that for the same reason Yuu didn't want to be with Yuko was the same reason Amamiya ended up taking care for Yuko. Although it seems like this scene focuses less on the hatred for Amamiya and more on regret and despair.

It is true that Yuu loves Yuko, but how will he handle this? Knowing that he, in part, was indirectly the cause for her pain and knowing what had happened, what will he do? And can he really let go of his remorse for his dead sister and move on with his life, or will Yuko really be just another replacement? So many questions....
Nov 12, 2008 6:48 PM

Jun 2008
HalberdierRetsel said:

As many have said, this is far worse than the Miyako epiosde in the first season. Absolutely horrific.

I agree here this episode was the most intense so far!
Nov 12, 2008 7:13 PM

Mar 2008
I'm too much in shock to even write much about how I felt about the episode.

I feel broken now. Yuko T_T

"You were 10 years too late"

...Bawwwwwww
Nov 12, 2008 10:53 PM
Apr 2008
This episode reminds me of the first season when Miyako went berserked on the voice messenger.
Nov 13, 2008 4:07 AM

Oct 2007
AznSensation said:
This episode reminds me of the first season when Miyako went berserked on the voice messenger.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. They certainly know how to make things dramatic. That's SHAFT for you.
Nov 13, 2008 6:28 AM

Jan 2008
oh dip
GREAT episode. Man, that scene on the school roof was awesome. I can't wait to see what's going to happen next episode.
Nov 13, 2008 5:33 PM

Jul 2008
Ef still good as ever. At first I was scared that melodies would turn out bad but it's as good or even better than memories at the moment.

Give me the face of this bastard already so I can hit him, cut him and throw salt and vinegar at him until I got bored which mean for a long long time.

And who the fuck voted ''it was OK'' tasteless guy >.>
Nov 13, 2008 5:44 PM

Aug 2008
Wow.

Gimme a week to sort this out a bit. I have a "list of things to do"....

- Kill Amamiya Sensei (need to figure out how to do this in the most painful, epic, and endless way....hell might be too good for him.)....

Hmm..maybe that's all I really need to do, and my life will be satisfied.

Actually, between the Yu and Yuuko though...maybe it was a bit unrealistic for Yuuko to expect so much from Yu. I dunno. Hard to say really.

Powerful.
Gaming dabblings: iRO Chaos, US Pangya, iRO Valkyrie, KR Pangya

*^will fix this monstrosity later*
Nov 13, 2008 7:06 PM

Dec 2007
Well now, thus far I didn't think that this season was going to measure up to the last season but this last episode has single-handedly bumped this show up to being at least a 9 in my book even if somehow the rest of the series is ruined. Before I didn't really like Yuuko's character because she seemed flat and unrealistic, this episode reveals that it's really just a mask to cover up the horrible hell of a home life she has been living for the past two years. I believe that in his own strange, misanthropic way that Yuu legitimately has feelings for Yuuko, it was a real shock to hear him say it but his reaction to her story pretty much proves it. And about the story, I'm going to have to say that all of the anime that I've seen over the years Yuuko revealing her past is now my favorite scene. It's artistic, heartbreaking, and emotional, Shaft really has a way of pulling these kind of scenes off like no other, which is kind of strange considering that they mostly do comedy series.

#NBHNC
Nov 13, 2008 7:50 PM

Jul 2007
Wow ... that was amazing ... the thing is ... I don't know what the heck just happened :D

Could someone tell me what the heck just happened ? That whole long scene with the ... yea...

I'm kinda lazy to read everyone's comments (and most of them don't really tell me what happened)

So what I know so far is ... The art teacher (her brother) abused her or something like that ? Anyone mind explaining :D
Nov 13, 2008 8:36 PM

Jul 2008
neverless said:
Wow ... that was amazing ... the thing is ... I don't know what the heck just happened :D

Could someone tell me what the heck just happened ? That whole long scene with the ... yea...

I'm kinda lazy to read everyone's comments (and most of them don't really tell me what happened)

So what I know so far is ... The art teacher (her brother) abused her or something like that ? Anyone mind explaining :D

IN SIMPLE TERMS: Art teacher----------->adopted Yuko--------------->abused her for over 2 years bothe physically and sexually and even verbally--------------->now she is ruined and I WANT TO KILL THAT TEACHER. That about resumes it.
Nov 13, 2008 9:36 PM
Oct 2007
For now, out of memories and melodies, that was the best scene ever. I've always wanted to watch the story between Yuuko and Yuu but I never expected it to be this good. I thought it was pretty obvious since like episode 3 that there was more to Yuuko than her "optimistic" self. I don't understand why so many people thought she was a flat character, really. There were so many hints that she had been through hard times. People don't generally show that "careless" attitude towards hardship (bullying) unless they've been through worse.

For me, the pacing for melodies is actually much better than memories and Yuuko is way better to watch than Miyako, Kei, or even Chihiro.

That sensei needs to die 100x.
Nov 13, 2008 10:18 PM

Mar 2008
So good, you'll bleed from it's goodness

Awesome episode, especially the juxtaposition between Yuu's hope and Yuuko's despair

I wonder if the VA did that extreme bit all at once or not?
Nov 14, 2008 1:55 AM
Jul 2008
It was an amusing episode, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, I didn't experience the degree of emotional turbulence that would have left me crying "YAMATO YUCOH! YAMATO YAMATO KUDESAI DESU". Rather, I sat through the whole thing with a smile, enjoying the pretty pictures as usual.

On another note, that church seems like an ideal place for exposing oneself, as no one (save for the main characters) ever seems to visit it.
Nov 14, 2008 2:05 AM

Nov 2007
Wow !! What a wicked episode.
Poor Yuuko, who knew she had such a dark past.
The very ending of the episode was abit freaky lawl, in a way ...
More Yuu + Yuuko pleasseeee ~
Nov 14, 2008 10:46 AM

Oct 2008
That episode was fucking intense. Seriously, my breath caught in my throat. Can't wait for the next one.
Nov 14, 2008 12:02 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
When Yuko said the bullying was just a way for them to relieve their stress... who knew it would be the same that was happening at home. Ugh, stress relief.

I agree with AngelLily. There can be nothing worse done to a young girl. Not only is her body scarred, but her emotions and even her soul. I knew the guy was a creep from day 1, but I didnt realize he was that much of a creep.

And still, even though my heart aches for her, she can't put the blame on Yuu. He was a child struggling with his own demons, and he could barely take care of his self, let alone her. And really, when an orphanage has someone willing to take a child, they usually don't keep the child unless there's a good reason for it.

I understand that she needs someone and something to blame, but Yuu is not that person. And as a man who loves her, his pain is already enough. He's powerless to erase those marks from her body, and he probably doubts his ability to wipe them from her soul as well, just because he loves her.

It pained me to see Nagi crying, although I must agree with AngelLily, that I don't think she was truly in love with Yuu. No more than I think she's in love with Kuze. And it's sad to see this past reflection of Kuze as well; to hear his music, and see him shining brightly, only to know what happens to him in the future.

Wonderful symbolism and effects. As much as I've written, I'm still in shock.
Nov 14, 2008 12:48 PM

Apr 2008
This episode was just... wow °___° So many simbols, and also the Tarots card... It left me with a strange feeling O_o

Nov 14, 2008 6:32 PM

Sep 2008
wow, such an emotional and intense episode! Just what I expected of Ef. Makes me remember why I loved the first season so much...since up till now Melodies hasn't even come close to measuring up. Should've known it'd pick up...
Yuuko's demon eyes are friggin scary o.o
And, the guy who did that to her (can't remember his name...or did they even ever say it?) MUST. DIE. PAINFULLY. NOW! He's the worst kind of guy...makes me sick.
Nov 14, 2008 8:12 PM

Oct 2007
I'm at loss for words, this episode was overflowing with symbolism, and emotion. If only the entire anime was this good.

Poor Yuuko (split second screen shot)

On a second note, when will I get to hear ALL of Kuze's song?
MettyNov 21, 2008 8:02 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2008 9:11 PM

Jan 2008
Gah~ This episode was just.... brilliant~
I'm totally lost for words, I wasn't expecting Yuuko to throw everything out.
Honestly, I can't describe it any better than being a wonderful and emotionally powerful episode.

Kineta said:
And still, even though my heart aches for her, she can't put the blame on Yuu. He was a child struggling with his own demons, and he could barely take care of his self, let alone her. And really, when an orphanage has someone willing to take a child, they usually don't keep the child unless there's a good reason for it.

I understand that she needs someone and something to blame, but Yuu is not that person. And as a man who loves her, his pain is already enough. He's powerless to erase those marks from her body, and he probably doubts his ability to wipe them from her soul as well, just because he loves her.

Yes, I agree. It's comprehendable that Yuuko has suffered immense pain, yet I don't believe the blame should be put on Yuu. Like you said, he was attempting to conquer his own dilemma's and even if he didn't show it to Yuuko at times - he was also in pain. It's incredibly sad that one person's decision made such a large impact on another person... :(

Amazing sig set thanks to -DraGonZ-
Nov 15, 2008 12:56 AM

May 2007
Gawd that was painful to watch, in a good way. Yuko's past hurts. Layer upon layer, for such an extended amount of time.

The animation is similar to the episode like this in the first season. That was pretty heartwrenching too...

<_< Those eyes creep me out. The voice does too!!
Nov 15, 2008 4:33 AM

Oct 2007
Kineta said:

I don't think Yuuko was trying to put all the blame on Yuu. I would rather say that she was trying to find an answer "was it a fault or was it a fate?"

Kineta said:
It pained me to see Nagi crying, although I must agree with AngelLily, that I don't think she was truly in love with Yuu.
I don't believe a girl would cry over a guy who she doesn't truly in love with.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Nov 15, 2008 4:34 AM

Jul 2008
Metroid_Ex said:
I'm at loss for words, this episode was overflowing with symbolism, and emotion. If only the entire anime was this good.

Poor Yuuko (split second screen shot)

On a second note, when will I get to hear ALL of Kuze's song?

*mod edit* - Put large images in spoiler tags.

YUKO! :(

I AM SCREAMING MURDER TO AMAMIYA SENSEI!

I watched this a few days ago but still is IN MY HEAD!
Nov 15, 2008 6:23 AM

Jul 2008
such intensity.

Nov 15, 2008 7:20 AM

Jun 2007
HalberdierRetsel said:

I also agree, it was so emotional that I was waiting for her to start screaming! And when they did that scary eye thing I was genuinely scared because I wasn't expecting it. When she lowered her voice after being hysterical left me with shivers going down my spine, I wasn't expecting her story to be so horrible!
Nov 15, 2008 7:50 AM

Nov 2007
Wow... that was so shocking. I felt as if I was slapped across my face. The symbolism is as amazing as ever, thanks to SHAFT's great work. This is finally showing the powerful storytelling that set memories apart form most other shows. The part when Yuuko was saying "I was burned. I was torn. I was cut into pieces..." had me speechless and I just started crying. Yumiko Nakajima did a great job and I hope she appears in other shows.

I felt so sorry for Yuuko, but I do agree that it was unfair of her to blame Yuu. Nagi might not love Yuu. I think she was crying because Yuu and Kuze were leaving. I also felt as if she was crying for Yuuko because, for a second, they showed a painting of Yuuko crying. Anyway, I really like Nagi and find her a very interesting character.

I really want to see how this will go but I think the next episode will shift the focus to Mizuki and Kuze since they were pretty much ignored this episode. I'm not that big of a fan of them but, when they appear, we get to see present Yuu, Yuuko and Nagi AND we get to see Season 1's characters.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Nov 15, 2008 11:36 AM

Mar 2008
Woah, this ep is pure insanity and the art is just astonishing.
Poor Yuuko...
Best ep so far!

"Time is liquid. One moment is no more important than any other and all moments quickly run away."
Nov 15, 2008 11:53 AM

Apr 2008
I'm a bit disappointed... I guess it's the game's fault, but gah .___. Amamiya's character design screamed 'rapist!!' from the first moment he appeared on screen (though back then I expected him to rape Yuu or something D: he just looks that sick)

For me, there wasn't anything unexpected in the episode, but the shock value was still infinite. SHAFT are really amazing for doing stuff the way they do, from the "empty" opening to Yuuko's monologue in the end. I'm now convinced that 'ef' is more than just another anime, it's an art form all by itself <3

Anyway, I missed Kuze and Mizuki in this episode... hope they'll be back next week. Knowing Mizuki, she won't just give up on him because Nagi says so, but honestly I have no idea how this can work out. I feel that Nagi is quite unfortunate, both boys she liked snatched away from her and all :/
Nov 15, 2008 12:20 PM

Oct 2008
this episode raped my mind, but i found it to be so pleasurable as i slowly understood what was going on.
And wow, i am surprised, the events in this episode is totally unexpected for me.
Looking foward to the next...
Nov 15, 2008 12:45 PM

May 2007
The second half of this episode scared the crap out of me when I was watching it in the dark at 4 am. Looks like this series is finally getting better.
Nov 15, 2008 12:52 PM

Aug 2008
Rather than try to tell two different stories...Melodies feel like Memories, but with different characters and slightly different set up. I feel like everything said, done, and drawn reminds me of something from the first series. Even the last bit...Yuuko's little breakdown...as brilliantly as it was executed, felt like what's her names breakdown over the phone in Memories.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aidouca - Dec 22, 2008

257 by SenpaiMY92 »»
Dec 10, 2023 7:20 AM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 16, 2008

87 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 8, 2008

196 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:54 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Dec 2, 2008

84 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Poll: » ef - a tale of melodies Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 24, 2008

89 by Shocked »»
Nov 30, 2023 5:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.