Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 13, 2012 7:00 PM

Jun 2012
All I care about at this point, is a mature, competent male character. I've read a bunch of shounen/seinen manga, but most of the time, I end up hating the MC, because of the obvious reasons. If i have to elaborate on the obvious reasons, they would be that the characters are a bunch clueless idiots filled with tons of ambiguity or that they make so many mistakes that it simply just becomes frustrating. I am willing to accept Shoujo and Josei, but I'd prefer a male MC.
Some of the main characters that I actually liked:
http://myanimelist.net/character/38619/Toru_Mizushima - Completely aware of his feeings and surroundings. Acts like an asshole to the girl that likes him, because he doesn't want her to develop more feelings for him.
http://myanimelist.net/character/13468/Keima_Katsuragi - Though this manga is not serious on the romantic side, the main characters hates 3D women but can make them fall in love with fairly easily. Though he isn't mature, he is a good example of being competent.
http://myanimelist.net/character/52841/Kosuke_Isobe - Everything about him makes sense. Even though he doesn't like being the rebound, he still keeps his relationship with the girl, because he likes her.
http://myanimelist.net/character/9087/Daisuke_Suwa - Generally a good guy. Does what he has to do to change the opinion of the girl in a non-idiotic manner.
http://myanimelist.net/character/16454/Kakeru_Kurosawa - Even though being a cross between Light/LeLouch, he is still a very believable character. He understands his horrible predicament and does everything he has to do in an intelligent fashion. Sure, he has an overactive imagination and an odd fetish, but that is what makes him human. He is flawed, but evolves. Understands what it means to move on.
HolybaptiserNov 13, 2012 7:22 PM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Nov 13, 2012 8:06 PM

Nov 2009
Hrmmm, well usually in romance I actually consider there being two main characters (the main female and main male) however I'm gonna take it you want it told from the male perspective. Well I have quite a few I have with competent characters of course alot are shoujo and most of the seinen have a darker tone.... The long running seinen romances like Yume de Aetara actually have male leads that piss me off so won't really recommend that but anyways here goes:

- Addicted to Curry (this one is a seinen, very little romance however the lead male is actually pretty mature most of the time however still maintain some more childish tendencies)
- Aishiteruze Baby (rather idiotic male lead however is told from his perspective and he does grow up raising the 5 year old girl that has been dumped on him, warmhearting series, more of a slice of life in the first half though)
- Akkan Baby (listed as shoujo but w/ shounen art and characters that exhibit a shounen-esque personality the only reason why its shoujo is probably because it deals with teen pregnancy which is probably a no-no in shounen. Starts off with a retarded male lead (and female lead) however the series gets amazing by the end, however rather short)
- Boku ni Natta Watashi (a shounen art style however still is primarily a shoujo, however deals with more mature themes (sex specifically), rather good and lighthearted romance series)
- Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu (If I'm not mistaken the perspective of this manga is from the male MC, its actually very sad and dramatic since the male MC is dying of a heart condition, they were childhood sweet hearts however after learning of his condition he believes (and is told by others) that it is better to distance himself from her so that she won't be as devastated when his time comes)
- Gokusen (not too much romance, rather old art style, however aside from the art this really could pass as a seinen, the perspective is told from the male MC who is actually a really cool character, really like how the author shaped his personality)
- Hapi Mari (light hearted Josei with more mature themes, I believe that the story is told from the female perspective in this one)
- Heart (>.> I really can't say this isn't a shoujo, this really is a shoujo both in art, plot and characters... however it does deal with more mature themes which is surprising since the female MC probably doesn't even know how babies are made at the beginning of the series)
- Inu Neko Jump (a seinen, semi dark tone, not an abundance of romance however there is some. An ok romance manga if you don't want their to be the going out bit of it)
- Kaikan Phrase (This is a smut so often the times the drama is rather petty however uncharacteristically their is some rather heavy drama, really is a shoujo with a "Pretty Boy" male lead with an almost sadistic personality)
- Kare First Love (sadly another shoujo, good story and nice romance however again definitely told from the female perspective the majority of the time)
- Kimi wa Pet (told from both the female and male perspective, in my opinion the male MC is actually pretty sick, not the biggest fan of the female MC however definitely though she was done well too. This is a Josei and truly deserves the tag so it won't have the more vibrant, drama queen tag that you see in most Shoujo)
- Koukou Debut (a very well done romance in general, its just good, yes its shoujo however its done well and can really be enjoyed, however sadly also not told from a male perspective)
- Lovely★Complex (a rather gender neutral manga, I mean yes there are clear reasons why its shoujo however it doesn't lean too hard towards shoujo, also with the plot and character's personalities it isn't a typical shoujo, nice romance however wouldn't be what I would consider mature in terms of the subject matter or tone)
- Mars (My favorite Romance, Done amazingly, it isn't just focused on the romance but develops their personal lives, their families, their struggles and their hopes as a couple and as individuals, The characters are also extremely unique and well done since the author made use of Psychological to truly develop on two seemingly cliche archetypes. The tone is also rather mature)
- Momoiro Heaven (A Josei... Well at least the art and feeling kind of point towards a more light hearted Josei, I actually (and this is rather rare since I'm a male) find myself on the side of the female MC... In other words glad it is told from her perspective and think she is a boss, similar to Hapi Mari since I think they are by the same author though don't quote me on that)
- Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie (Seinen, well this is kind of what I was talking about with the type of drama I find that I hate in most of the long running seinen series however it was a tad bit shorter so I could bear it, as a whole though the manga was very good)
- Red River (this was just one of the only shoujo I enjoyed that also had the whole adventure/action part, it is told from the female's perspective most of the time however changes between alot)
- Saruyama! (another rather gender neutral manga, one of my favorites, rather lighthearted and I believe it is told from the perspective of the male MC, he is definitely not your typical archetype in a shoujo manga, and in fact can't think of almost any other shoujo in which you would find a male MC like him)
- Sensen Spike Hills (seinen series with a rather dark tone, deals with both sex and drugs, the primary focus is romance and I actually believe that the only romance their is is going to go south as the series progresses however I don't know about that)
- Welcome to the NHK (another rather dark toned seinen series with minimal romance, this time only dealing with drugs however they do more than just pot, also very psychological)
- Youth Gone Wild (liked it because of a few reasons, primarily liked the era of rock that this manga centered around, also the male MC was pretty cool however again primary character is the female MC)
- Yesterday wo Utatte (very similar to Welcome to the NHK, rather dark seinen with minimal drama however in this series the MC is not on drugs so it isn't as psychogical)
Nov 13, 2012 8:26 PM

Apr 2012
Nodame Cantabile
Longer and Slower Than a River
They Were Eleven
Magic
Ludwig Revolution
Ooku
Nov 13, 2012 8:28 PM

Jun 2012
I'm currently reading the novels of Welcome to the NHK!, and was planning on starting the manga after I'm done. Sensen Spike Hills, eh? I dropped it a while back after a few chapters but this is the third time since that its been recommended to me. I enjoy a lot of the darker series out there, but something about it wasn't cutting it for me. I guess, I'll pick it up again. I'll systematically go through this list and prioritize what I'll read and in which order.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Nov 13, 2012 8:34 PM
Aug 2012
Yume de aetera ( Seinen)

Kore wa Koi no Hanashi ( switches between shojo and seinen kind of)

Welcome to the NHK ( seinen)

Love so life ( male lead is mature but the theme is shoujo its very cute)

Boku no Hatsukoi wo Kimi ni Sasagu ( must read very mature, its switches between male and female but the art and theme is that of shoujo)

Moteki ( guy is really awkward and pathetic, its seinen but its really funny and cool read)

Yesterday wo Utatte ( rather weirdly paced manga but I like it alot its seinen)

Sekitou Elergy ( on your planning to read isnt horrible its nice seinen)

Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikata - Has a shounen feel but the guy is like 20 I think, hes pretty mature and the girls are funny.

Taiyou no Ie- It is a shoujo but the male lead is focused on alot and he is in his twenties, so you will probs like this.

Yeah other than I can only think of shoujo some good mature ones are

Six Half
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru
Bokura ga ita

Also on the spike hills manga note not too much romance but its a cool read and rather unique.
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)

More topics from this board

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
2 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
5 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - 10 hours ago

2 by Snailsoup »»
9 hours ago

» New(ish) Manga Reader in Need of Recommendations!

Wakarimas-en - Apr 23

8 by Wakarimas-en »»
12 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

0 by MeZaDefined »»
Yesterday, 4:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.