Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Little Monster
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 13, 2012 10:25 PM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Excellent episode this time, there was a bit of back and forth here and there but I thought the happenings this episode to be well written and executed.

The laughs were great once again and it really helps in overlooking the actual fact that full on plot progression is sparse. Besides a suitable ending though, I think this episode shows that Tonari doesn't necessarily have to progress a lot to remain enjoyable.
Nov 14, 2012 1:43 AM

Jun 2010
Shizuku is starting to annoy me.
Nov 14, 2012 3:55 AM

May 2010
Lelouch22 said:
Although it was quite good and mostly enjoyable, this was probably the weakest episode of the series, since the elevated drama isn't working as well as it did in episodes past. Combine that with a slight decline in the comedy, and it's inevitable that this episode would be a bit worse than the others. The most noticeable flaw in this episode was that the interactions between Haru and Shizuku, the best element of the show, were disappointingly diminished, in favor of an unsatisfying, unenjoyable heightening of Oshima's interactions with Haru and Yamaken's utterly terrible interactions with Shizuku.

The obstinate, contrasting emotions that Shizuku is struggling with seem relatively insubstantial, so there's a lack of necessary weight and believability to her difficulties, thus creating a largely unconvincing, yet predictable, scenario, in which prior development within the relationship is temporarily forgotten and partially erased, much to the immediate detriment of the story. My favorite scene by far was the ending, since Haru and Shizuku finally had a relatively beautiful moment together, which was missing from the rest of the episode. That particular moment fully portrayed how significantly beneficial their relationship is to the story.

The intermittent infusion of flashes to Haru's past with his aunt were great, as they created another layer of depth to his character, while providing a nice parallel to his current troubles. Haru is really easy to sympathize with, now that Shizuku has temporarily become so unreasonable and stubborn. I consistently love how well the show manages to capture the inherent awkwardness and socially bizarre nature of his eccentric personality. Shizuku's still one of the best characters and exceptionally likable, but, though somewhat understandable, her naive, thoughtless decisions regarding her relationship with a Haru that she clearly has deep, romantic feelings for appears quite childish and, at times, more then a bit contrived. Thankfully, despite the self-inflicted, awkward distance between Haru and Shizuku, their interactions remain wonderfully fantastic, due mostly to their immense chemistry.

Natsume and her superb humor really carries the show whenever it slips into a rare mediocrity. As such, the constancy of the excellently effective lighthearted tone is largely due to her random, but often insightful appearances, especially throughout the last two episodes, since Haru and Shizuku's relationship has become needlessly complicated. She's gradually becoming my favorite character, even elevating past Haru and Shizuku, which is quite unexpected. Though I did like her helpful advice to Haru, this episode essentially solidified Oshima as my least favorite character, aside from Yamaken, who's infinitely worse. Though somewhat likable, she's not nearly as engaging or interesting as the other characters, and her interactions with Haru, for the most part, aren't that enjoyable, due mostly to the hindrance placed around her development, since she's artificially forced into this awful "love triangle". All of this causes her to effectively feel like a supremely secondary and considerably unimportant character.

Yamaken, in his brief appearances, continues to be the only unlikable character, so the show's definitely at it's best when he's not involved. Unfortunately, it seems abundantly clear that he'll be an eventual "rival", constantly manipulating and aggressively interfering, which will certainly be far more insufferable and aggravating than his momentary scenes with Shizuku already are. I was unfortunately correct in my assumption that he would conveniently appear as soon as Haru and Shizuku have distanced themselves from one another, which, for this show's typical excellence, is far too predictable. Of course, every romantic comedy, for whatever reason, needs a ridiculously contrived triangle to "spice" things up, but I'd rather this show didn't fall into those genre-specific cliches.

The solid production values continue to be one of the best, most consistent elements within each episode. The visuals complement the atmosphere wonderfully, creating a brightly colorful aesthetic that assists in illuminating the true nature of the show. The animation was, as usual, really good throughout this episode, as it's able to illustrate the exaggerated movements and embellished humor exceptionally well.

All in all, even with a less impressive episode, Tonari is still one of the best shows of the season, as it excels with it's compelling characters, plethora of humorous moments, and the superbly engaging character interactions. I'm hoping that the story will return to it's best aspects though, most notably the relationship between Haru and Shizuku, since the absence of their mutual happiness slightly diminishes the quality of the show. As such, I'm really looking forward to the development of their relationship, since it should only improve from this point. I'd also like to think that more woefully bad triangles won't be added to the narrative, but it's practically a foregone conclusion that this show, for all it's greatness, won't avoid these conventional missteps.

Lol,you should do a review for this anime,if you haven't?
Nov 14, 2012 6:39 AM

Nov 2008
I really don't get this, one episode she decides she likes him, the next she can't even stand the idea of falling in love with him, even though it's clear what she really wants. And then hé remembers he's actually 'in love' with her just like the first episode..
What argghh is this mess..
Nov 14, 2012 11:00 AM

Jul 2012
Best love story i've seen in anime so far. Funny and romantic at the same time. Great episode :)
Nov 14, 2012 1:36 PM

Oct 2009
hmmmmmm i seeeeeee shizuki x haru 4ever ;3 !

ssf4ae (pc) : misterCybou
sc2 : CybE // 665
Nov 14, 2012 2:46 PM

Mar 2011

I saw this guys in Zetsuen no Tempest. Are they jobbing part-time in Tonari Kaibutsu?

Nov 14, 2012 2:54 PM

Feb 2012
Kyobotte said:

I saw this guys in Zetsuen no Tempest. Are they jobbing part-time in Tonari Kaibutsu?

lol now where's that hairclip.
Nov 14, 2012 3:16 PM

Sep 2012
Thie whole " I love you, no I don't, yes I don't..." shit is getting irritating, too many times, it feels like we were back at episode 1 again. I dislike anime that don't want to progress. Also, Class Rep and Blondie are lame Love Interest, especially Blondie. The comedy was just OK this episode.
Worst episode of this anime for me.

Natsume was still gold though.
Nov 14, 2012 9:03 PM

Jan 2011
QuiGonJon said:
Ehhhh..... this whole back and forth "i love him"/"No I don't" thing is getting kind of old :/
In my opinion, Shizuku IS in love with Haru but it affects her study, well, of course its a big deal for her, who just doing nothing but study.
The previous episode is the key here. She convince that "Studying is fun", "Studying made me feel complete", "I dont need anything that would be a distraction (in this case, its love)". As the results she make sure that she must just focus to study, and win over her own feeling. But in the end she cant lol.

still 5/5 for me
Nov 14, 2012 9:32 PM

May 2012
Shizuku has always and still likes him, but for some reason she's ignoring him... I wonder why.
Nov 15, 2012 4:31 AM

Apr 2012
Go Haru go Haru GO!
Man this ep is just epic.
With Haru punching the senpai aswell as the love trouble between him and Shizuku.
Also the blond guy makes hisfull appearance next ep
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Nov 15, 2012 6:15 AM

Feb 2009
I would feel sorry for the children of Haru and Chizuku if they get married someday, just imagine that household!

I wish for once while acting so indecisive one lose the other I mean really what the hell?!
Nov 15, 2012 6:23 AM

Jan 2011
Great episode, amazing comedy and the story is making progress.
Haru is learning not to let his desires take control and Shiziku seems to have fallen in love with him again.
Dat chicken ending... awesome! I'm looking forward to more.
HauntingShock said:
Kyobotte said:

lol now where's that hairclip.

Now that you mention it... they really do look alike don't they.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Nov 15, 2012 1:07 PM

Apr 2011
Why can't Shizuku accept the fact that she loves Haru. She is so denial about it.
Nov 15, 2012 1:48 PM

Feb 2012
Hikarusuke said:
Why can't Shizuku accept the fact that she loves Haru. She is so denial about it.

Because she doesn't know it herself. Sounds stupid but that's really how it is.
She can't understand her own emotions even as a kid.
Nov 15, 2012 3:43 PM
Aug 2011
Really liked Natsume this episode,"Banana juice wouldn't make me drunk!".
Nov 15, 2012 4:50 PM

Sep 2012
I don't even care about the plot, I could watch these characters interact all day! This show is just entertaining as hell! But I think I'm starting to like class-rep more than Shizuku...
Nov 15, 2012 5:33 PM

Jul 2012
I liked it. I rewatched all the funny Haru parts. :D

4/5
Nov 15, 2012 8:38 PM
Jun 2012
5/5
Sucks that this anime is only 13 episodes long. I expect another Skip Beat-esque "ending".
*sigh*
Nov 16, 2012 1:49 AM

Aug 2012
aaahhh! >.< Haru should have kissed her xp
so cute ,i hope Haru never gives up on the girls they make such cute couple
Nov 16, 2012 2:07 AM

Jun 2010
Being a manly-man it tends to be shameful to admit liking shoujos, but as with a few others I thoroughly enjoy this one. I'm guessing Shizuku haters have to be girls? Because I really like her as a lead heroine, her personality is great. Haru of course is pretty awesome and hes not too ridiculous like other shoujos. Certainly is sad its only 13 eps, alas many shoujo animes adapt (from manga into anime) far too early and it tends to ruin the chances of consecutive seasons (my favorite, Skip Beat, for example).
Nov 16, 2012 8:37 AM

Feb 2012
it was ok,the first episodes were the best.
Nov 16, 2012 1:45 PM

Aug 2012
WHEN DOES THE NEXT EPISODE COME OUT.
Nov 16, 2012 6:01 PM
Jun 2012
hannaharif said:

Depending on where you live, (I don't see any location on your profile) two or three days.
Nov 16, 2012 10:26 PM
Jan 2008
So I can assume now Shizuku wanted to stop their relationships to see if Haru really wants to go back home or no
Nov 17, 2012 3:21 AM

Sep 2010
I hope there will be a second season. Shizuku and Haru are too cute ;__:
Nov 18, 2012 8:41 AM

Jun 2012
EVERYTHING IS SUCH A FUCKING ROLLER COASTER BETWEEN THESE TWO.
THIS WAS BASICALLY AN ALTERATION OF THAT OTHER EPISODE IN THAT SAME SETTING.
COME ON GUYS.
But yeah, Haru. I love you. I want to meet someone like you irl, hehe <3
And idk, it seems like Shizuku is getting prettier. Or is it just me?
Nov 18, 2012 2:21 PM

Jul 2012
hannaharif said:

Monday
Nov 18, 2012 4:09 PM

May 2011
So since Natsume couldn't give her pro advice to Shizuku, she went and decided to help Haru instead. Hahaha I loved that moment that she had in the beginning when she was talking to Haru and went complete 180 with her attitude.

Doesn't look like its going to be too hard for Haru to change how Shizuku feels since I think she actually still loves him. Not to mention how easily it was to make her blush and heart race when all he had said was that he'd change her mind.
AiCon said:
LOL @ Haru naming the barricade after Shizuku.
ZeroZxNov 18, 2012 4:12 PM
Nov 18, 2012 11:38 PM

Feb 2011
Oh my, I just love Shizuki more each day e u e.
tsuns<3
haru... keep trying, she'll let up soon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 20, 2012 4:10 PM

Apr 2009
Ah the teen raging hormones are playing them for fools for our entertainment. ^_^ I can't help but chuckle like Mitsuyoshi in the end.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 21, 2012 7:51 PM

May 2010
Back to square one....
Nov 22, 2012 7:27 AM

Nov 2010
I love the music in the romance scenes .. so perfect.
Nov 25, 2012 12:29 PM

Jul 2012
Nice episode! I wanna see how Haru is going to react to seeing the blonde guy with Shizuku O: Jiii, I don't like the glasses chick, though she does keep Haru from giving up on Shizuki in her own way; that would probably be the only reason why I put up with her; nonetheless seems like she'll fall in love with him again?^^ (though it does seem like "back to square one" >.<
Nov 25, 2012 3:15 PM

Apr 2010
watching this series and getting all fluttered like a little girl......... what is this anime trying to turn me into!!!??
Nov 27, 2012 8:30 AM

Aug 2012
"I have a cock. It's atrocious. It's name is Nagoya."

I died.
Nov 29, 2012 12:48 PM

Apr 2012
"Studybug!" "Studybug!" "Studybug!" XD
Dec 19, 2012 6:52 PM

Jun 2010
Awesome episode. Love this series. Shizuki is way 2 cute and when Haru went for that kiss at the end. LMAO.
Dec 24, 2012 11:04 PM
Jul 2012
i have a cock 9:58 lol. And yes i know, for all the smartar*es out there, cock is a bird) but still funny.
Dec 25, 2012 11:31 PM

Sep 2011
They should just go out already! >:(
Dec 27, 2012 9:23 PM

Apr 2012
ah another super episode <3 especially the ending in this one hehehe. The classroom scene was pretty hilarious, shizuku and haru being badasses as usual. Shizuku is also starting a faint bond between her and yamaken, since they're both in the same cram school.
The last scene was pretty intense and very adorable. Right as he was about to "kiss" her (i dont know what he was gonna do) he stops and he ends making her blush and aaahhhh it was just so cute!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 16, 2013 1:55 AM

Jan 2012
Can't stop watching this shit

Contemplating giving this a 10/10 depending on how it ends

fyi, I've watched 700+ anime, and I've given 10/10 to only 11 shows.
Jan 26, 2013 6:07 AM
Jul 2018

HARU, WHY ARE YOU SO CUTE? I WANT TO TAKE YOU WITH ME.
Jan 27, 2013 4:11 PM

Feb 2011
they are soooo cute. Moe moe ...
Jan 28, 2013 5:26 PM

Nov 2011
I love this anime! =D

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Mar 11, 2013 11:47 PM

Dec 2008
Hi, L!

Mar 17, 2013 4:24 PM

Aug 2008
Hah. "I haven't seen you since you spoke about my balls".

The fucking chicken pooping!

Natsume really is becoming my favourite though. Haru is adorbs though.
Mar 26, 2013 6:31 PM

May 2012
Another great episode and with a festival around the corner things might get interesting, well for the class president the current situation is good although I find the way she acts rather strange... we all know she still loves him but why is she denying it? Lets see what happens next!
Apr 2, 2013 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
Shizuka is getting bit annoying now,she's hard ice to melt.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2012

478 by Prevesis »»
Yesterday, 1:30 PM

Poll: » Is there going to be a season 2? ( 1 2 )

SalemWitch - Apr 2, 2013

63 by lixiuyue »»
Dec 23, 2023 7:57 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2012

463 by LANNYPOOPOODONG »»
Oct 20, 2023 7:06 AM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2012

165 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 7:42 PM

Poll: » Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2012

165 by ccrr »»
Aug 19, 2023 10:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.