Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 12, 2012 7:54 AM
Mar 2011
i seen the word Classic used alot in this forum
so 3 things
1 What are the true Classics of anime [ Each genre not demographic*] Both Japanese and Western ProSpective
2 what genre not demographic has Shaped you as as a fan
3 what are you Top Ten from that genre not demographic that will be fit in to the Mold of Classics in the Future

*so no saying Shounen Shojo Josei or Seinen

DateYutakaNov 12, 2012 10:08 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 12, 2012 8:27 AM

Aug 2011
K-ON! is the one true classic, all other classics pale in comparison.
Nov 12, 2012 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
mitch3315 said:

No, strike witches is, silly.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Nov 12, 2012 8:37 AM

Apr 2012
Jean Chalopin.
Nov 12, 2012 8:42 AM
Mar 2012
Anything which is popular in the west. Like Code Geass, something which has a lot of views could be seen as a classic, though most of the times this is something older. Like Cowboy Bebop, and no, don't come with Sazae-san. That is only old, and Japanese.

Like Code Geass is a classic for mecha things, along with Gundam and whatnot. You could make a list with genres and fill in a classic for each one, but I don't know if anyone will cooperate with you.

Why did I even post a serious reply?
Nov 12, 2012 8:45 AM

Feb 2010
1. Ashita no Joe, Astro Boy, Yamato, Mirai Shounen Conan (few examples)
2. Hard to limit this to one genre, so I won't. What made me get into anime are action/adventure/psychological ones and sports anime. But at this point I have a geat variety of favorite genres.
3. Major has the full potential of becoming a classic in the sports genre. One Piece could already be considered a classic of the action/adventure genres. Kimi ni Todoke might become a classic of the romance genre. It's good enough and has the success too.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 12, 2012 9:38 AM
Feb 2012
Let me think about it for a sec:

1. The classics are obviously most of those I haven't seen. I'm sure they've been on Adult Swim if I may not be wrong but Neon Genesis Evangelion, Outlaw Star, Gundam Series etc. are the ones that come to mind for most of these. Though, I became a fan during 2006 (Bebop and Kenshin were some of my firsts) and more seriously in 2009 (Code Geass and Clannad were notables for that year). Classics to me would be Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop, Rurouni Kenshin, Clannad, Steins Gate, and others I'm forgetting. But since I like slice-of-life anime the most, I'd also put Saki, Chihayafuru, and Seitokai no Ichizon there but not a lot anime fans know either of them.
2. I'm a slice-of-life fan, but I also really enjoy anything with action, drama, or romance. Anything good from those will do me good. You know I'm a little younger in my taste compared to you, but these genres have always stuck with me.
3. To be honest, I can't think of a Top 10 because I know I'll be forgetting a ton. There are so few anime I truly like but in terms of naming things "classics" you'd have to get a general consensus and it may not be the most pleasing Top 10 to me...
Nov 12, 2012 10:04 AM

Dec 2011
This is a thought experiment and not a "list your favorites" thread...how?
Nov 12, 2012 10:07 AM
Mar 2011
phnsr said:

Cause i though it might make people really think About the three things listed
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 12, 2012 10:07 AM
May 2010
phnsr said:

Because anyone with half a brain can see the difference between shows that could become a classic and their favorites. I purposely didnt post in here, because a lot of my favorites could never be classics.

I guess you cant see the distinction, sadly.

/Shakes head.
Worships Asparagus.
Nov 12, 2012 10:16 AM

Dec 2011
Otaking87 said:
phnsr said:

This assumes people don't "really think" when they're usually listing things. The format of your thread is no different than any other listing thread.

miereneronaile said:

Because anyone with half a brain can see the difference between shows that could become a classic and their favorites. I purposely didnt post in here, because a lot of my favorites could never be classics.

/Shakes head.

Can't tell if serious.

Let's cover both.

Serious: That still wouldn't make it a "thought experiment".

Not serious: /Bows head in shame.
Nov 12, 2012 10:40 AM
Oct 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
1. Ashita no Joe, Astro Boy, Yamato, Mirai Shounen Conan (few examples)
2. Hard to limit this to one genre, so I won't. What made me get into anime are action/adventure/psychological ones and sports anime. But at this point I have a geat variety of favorite genres.
3. Major has the full potential of becoming a classic in the sports genre. One Piece could already be considered a classic of the action/adventure genres. Kimi ni Todoke might become a classic of the romance genre. It's good enough and has the success too.
Major is the best
Nov 12, 2012 11:35 AM

May 2012
"Exprement"

Really, guy?
Nov 12, 2012 11:51 AM

Feb 2010
Otaking87 said:
so 3 things
1 What are the true Classics of anime [ Each genre not demographic*] Both Japanese and Western ProSpective
3 what are you Top Ten from that genre not demographic that will be fit in to the Mold of Classics in the Future

Why don't you give us your thoughts on these points too? I'd be interested in what modern shows (90's+) you'd consider to have the potential to become classics in their respective genre.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 12, 2012 12:29 PM

Mar 2012
I know you're just using this thread to insult people who didn't like LOGH and Neon Angstiness Evangelion. But I'll bite

1. For a classic I would probably go for Cowboy Bebop if I'm to do it from a western and Japanese perspective. They've been showing it on Adult Swim pretty much every week since the early 2000s. Plus, the Movie even got a cinema release over here. Evangelion aged a lot over time because people took those same ideas and created shows that were much more intelligent and thought provoking. Cowboy Bebop, on the other hand, is a one in a million show that's almost impossible to recreate. On top of that, the unique ideas mean that it still stands up strong today.

2. I'd say that the slice of life genre has shaped me most with shows like K-On, Welcome to the NHK and the Haruhi Suzumiya series. Although my tastes tend to be geared more towards psychological anime like Madoka Magica since It's hard to find a good Slice of Life.

3. I'm gonna skip this one. All I'm going to say is that Madoka and K-On are future classics whether you like them or not. So quit your whining and go fap to Giant naked white Rei destroying the Earth
Nov 12, 2012 12:30 PM

Jun 2011
Bad idea, you shouldn't of said it was an experiment now everyone is going to think differently and not be 100% truthful
tfw no gf
tfw i keep getting the banhammer on here
tfw Koleare keeps banning me every other day
tfw I'm misunderstood by le mod
Nov 12, 2012 12:35 PM

Aug 2010
Nov 12, 2012 12:44 PM

Sep 2012
koleare said:
Dragon Ball Z
/thread

+ Cowboy Bebop
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Nov 12, 2012 12:55 PM
May 2010
phnsr said:
Otaking87 said:
phnsr said:

This assumes people don't "really think" when they're usually listing things. The format of your thread is no different than any other listing thread.

miereneronaile said:

/Shakes head.

Can't tell if serious.

Let's cover both.

Serious: That still wouldn't make it a "thought experiment".

Not serious: /Bows head in shame.

Your right, sorry. I was being serious, but I only meant to address the part about why it was not a 'list your favorites thread'

I have no comment on the thought experiment part, and I should have made that clear when I posted. Sorry.
Worships Asparagus.
Nov 12, 2012 1:08 PM

Jul 2012
1. Lupin the 3rd, Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, DBZ, Astro Boy, Captain Harlock, Zeta Gundam, Asita no Joe, and Fist of the north star.
2. Martial Arts/Fantasy definitely
3. Code Geass, Death Note, Gurren Lagann, Baccano, FMA Brotherhood all have the potential to become classics you can disagree if you want, I don't really care.
Nov 12, 2012 1:23 PM

Mar 2011
SquadmemberRitsu said:
I'm gonna skip this one. All I'm going to say is that Madoka and K-On are future classics whether you like them or not. So quit your whining and go fap to Giant naked white Rei destroying the Earth

Only time will tell. They may have the potential to be classics, but at the same time they might just be fads. And err that never happened. Besides, unconscious Asuka is more fap-worthy >.>

On your second point, you're not looking hard enough. It's that simple.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Nov 12, 2012 1:56 PM
Mar 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Otaking87 said:
so 3 things

Why don't you give us your thoughts on these points too? I'd be interested in what modern shows (90's+) you'd consider to have the potential to become classics in their respective genre.

1 Jungle Tente[ the first anime in the Monden Sense]i Saiborgu 009 Sally Cutie honey Mazinger Z Macross Gundam 0079 Doraemon Kaze to Ki no Uta Harlock Maruko Chan Tsubasa Gundam 0083
2 Slice of life
3 Fantastic Children, Tesuko no Tabi,Showa Monogatari Pofy no Tabi Precure Inazuma 11 Hello Kitty Battle Sprits Geass Haruhi

Nov 12, 2012 7:34 PM

Jul 2012
kids:
Doraemon
Crayon Shin-Chan

Action/Adventure:
Rurouni Kenshin
Fullmetal Alchemist
Cowboy Bebop

Mecha:
Gundam
Code Geass

Slice of Life:
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
K-On
Ouran High School Host Club

Romance:
Clannad

Other:
Death Note
Elfen Lied

these are not my favourites, i haven't even seen all of them.
i don't know everything
i just know what i know...
Nov 12, 2012 7:45 PM

Mar 2007
Hey guys, remember when OP got busted for posting someone else's collection and claiming it as his own? Good times.
You've come a long way, baby.
Nov 12, 2012 8:31 PM

Aug 2012
Kimura said:
Hey guys, remember when OP got busted for posting someone else's collection and claiming it as his own? Good times.

That was actually my collection. I spent 9 million dollars on it.

True story.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Nov 12, 2012 8:54 PM

Sep 2010
Did the op mean to type 'excrement'?

Nov 12, 2012 8:58 PM

Aug 2011
IcecreamManwich said:
"Exprement"

Really, guy?

I see you haven't read an Otaking post yet, welcome to a world of hilarious spelling mistakes.
Nov 12, 2012 9:46 PM

Feb 2012
mitch3315 said:
This.

Kimura said:
That was one of the greatest burns in the history of burns.
Nov 12, 2012 9:52 PM

Jun 2009
Kimura said:

What? How did I miss this?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 12, 2012 10:00 PM

Mar 2012
toybox said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:
I'm gonna skip this one. All I'm going to say is that Madoka and K-On are future classics whether you like them or not. So quit your whining and go fap to Giant naked white Rei destroying the Earth

Only time will tell. They may have the potential to be classics, but at the same time they might just be fads. And err that never happened. Besides, unconscious Asuka is more fap-worthy >.>

On your second point, you're not looking hard enough. It's that simple.

Not that simple. Even though I love the genre, I tend to hate a lot of the Slice of Life shows that I watch so I try to be a bit more cautious when approaching a Slice of Life anime. The only ones I've got left that I really want to watch are Usagi Drop and Aria. But I don't want to watch them until I can afford to buy the series. I've just about had it with the moe part of the genre. I really liked K-On and Hidamari Sketch but I hated Yuruyuri, A-Channel and Lucky Star.
Nov 12, 2012 10:07 PM

Mar 2012
Kimura said:

Good times indeed. This incident along with his plebian taste makes me seriously doubt whether he's watched even a 100th of the anime he claims to have seen. I mean, he claims to have completed the original Doraemon. Unless he was alive in the 70s, that's literally impossible. The footage was lost in a fire and it was never released on VHS or DVD. All that's really known about it is that it sucked.
Nov 12, 2012 10:12 PM

Jul 2012
Kimura said:

That was my favorite moment in MAL history.
Nov 12, 2012 10:14 PM

Aug 2011
Kimura said:

I'm extremely surprised and disappointed I missed this, need a link.
Nov 12, 2012 10:36 PM

Mar 2012
mitch3315 said:
Kimura said:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=471355&show=0
Go through the entire thread. It's a nice read. The funniest part is that even when he was busted, he still kept insisting it was his.
Nov 12, 2012 10:38 PM

Aug 2011
SquadmemberRitsu said:
mitch3315 said:
Kimura said:

Go through the entire thread. It's a nice read. The funniest part is that even when he was busted, he still kept insisting it was his.

I remember that thread, I helped instigate the bullshit calling, I just unfortunately missed the ultimate pay off it seems.
Nov 12, 2012 11:11 PM
May 2010
Lol at that thread, thats just golden.
Worships Asparagus.
Nov 12, 2012 11:17 PM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:

Yes. If he tells you otherwise, it's probably just a lie just like the 9 million US dollars he claims to have spent on anime.
Nov 13, 2012 12:55 AM

Feb 2012
SquadmemberRitsu said:
mitch3315 said:
Kimura said:

Thanks for the link. I get to relive the hilarity!

That thread should be archived by MAL staff, stamped with the YTMND seal of approval, posted on /b/, and Enjolras should be submitted on Urban Dictionary under the 'you dun goofed' page linking to that thread.

MAL gets free advertising, and everyone gets a good laugh. Win-win!
Nov 13, 2012 1:14 AM

Mar 2012
Yvese said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:
mitch3315 said:
Kimura said:

That thread should be archived by MAL staff, stamped with the YTMND seal of approval, posted on /b/, and Enjolras should be submitted on Urban Dictionary under the 'you dun goofed' page linking to that thread.

It's so much fun to ridicule this guy. Mostly because he makes it easy for us with his dodgy English, retarded opinions, gigantic lies and his sense of self importance. Even the mods are making fun of him. In his own thread no less.
Nov 13, 2012 1:29 AM

Apr 2012
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Yvese said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:
mitch3315 said:
Kimura said:

It's so much fun to ridicule this guy. Mostly because he makes it easy for us with his dodgy English, retarded opinions, gigantic lies and his sense of self importance. Even the mods are making fun of him. In his own thread no less.

He doesn't seem to care, and proceeds with his crap. It's almost as if he enjoys it, well he is the M to our S, in a sense.
Nov 13, 2012 1:35 AM

Nov 2012
Read the title of this thread as A little thought excrement.

Nov 13, 2012 2:14 AM
Nov 13, 2012 6:42 AM
Feb 2012
Anime_Name said:

As if I'm bowing down to you for saying this like all the other troll worshipping newfags.
His English is not the best he obviously meant to say "experiment."
Nov 13, 2012 6:47 AM

Oct 2012
I think a few stand out just because their fan base is huge, they have been running for years upon years, but it still comes down to the individual preference, but like I said a few stand out.
Nov 13, 2012 12:14 PM

Mar 2012
SSC_Exin said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Yvese said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:
mitch3315 said:
Kimura said:

He doesn't seem to care, and proceeds with his crap. It's almost as if he enjoys it, well he is the M to our S, in a sense.

I don't really mind. Once I learned to not take him seriously he turned from an annoying, pretentious elitist into a loveable, bumbling idiot.
Nov 13, 2012 3:22 PM
Dec 2011
SquadmemberRitsu said:
mitch3315 said:
Kimura said:

BEST THREAD EVER !

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

26 by FedeMetal »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 32 minutes ago

7 by Jonas-K »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

112 by Kenzolo-folk »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

12 by FedeMetal »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

40 by DarkShame2 »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.