Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do you use to judge other people's tastes?

New
Nov 12, 2012 12:41 AM

Nov 2011
You're about to judge someone's taste in anime; you ask for their opinion on an anime of your choice, which do you choose, and why?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 12, 2012 12:46 AM

Jun 2009
Polarizing ones are the ones I would go for.

To figure out if we could be bros, I would ask for their opinion on One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Magi, etc.

To determine if they have, in my opinion, bad taste, I would ask if they liked Bleach.

To determine if they're an active anime watcher, I would just mention the names of some current anime, and if they think I'm just saying incoherent babble, then they're not an active anime-goer.
Nov 12, 2012 12:54 AM

Oct 2012
If they like Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Darker Than Black, Ouran HS Host club, Toward the Terra, Psycho Pass and classic anime, they're my auto-best friend.

I literally think people have a bad taste when it comes to anime like SAO (except when they are below episode 7 or something) and praising Vampire knight.
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Nov 12, 2012 12:56 AM
Jul 2018
Neon Gensisi Evangelion

Hearing about why they liked or disliked it tells a lot about a person.
Nov 12, 2012 1:07 AM

Oct 2012
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Clannad, Gurren Lagann...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 12, 2012 1:13 AM

Oct 2012
Death note and Angel Beats.
Nov 12, 2012 1:20 AM

Aug 2011
I would ask them their opinion on Highschool of the Dead, if it is even slightly favourable I would consider their taste to be shit house.
Nov 12, 2012 1:42 AM

Jan 2010
Code Geass or Evangelion. If they don't know those, Naruto/Bleach/One Piece. I'd ask something like "what do you think of this?" and go from there.
Nov 12, 2012 1:42 AM

Mar 2009
Probably Code Geass.
Nov 12, 2012 1:46 AM

Aug 2012
I judge other people by how they rate my favorites.

if they rated my favorites highly, then they know what's up, if they rate them lowly, then their opinion doesn't mean shit and they're worthless as a human being.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Nov 12, 2012 1:51 AM

Jan 2012
I ask about yaoi anime, it's the only thing I can't accept (says the guy who likes yuri)
Nov 12, 2012 2:00 AM

Oct 2012
My classmate said that SAO was the best thing ever since then I avoided him like a plague
lionheart04Nov 12, 2012 2:51 AM
Nov 12, 2012 2:12 AM

Oct 2008
If anyone has Fairy Tail in their favorites (or if it gets a relitively high score), to put it lightly, I probably don't have that much in common with them.
Also if they love Madoka and yet hate Evangelion then their taste kinda sucks imo.
Their opinion on Ghost in the Shell is another excellent way to figure out if they have taste in my view at least.
Nov 12, 2012 2:24 AM

Sep 2011
If they're a fan of the .hack series, then I love them. If they've rated .hack//Roots or Legend of the Twilight higher than SIGN, then they go back to being terrible people. If someone's rated .hack//SIGN below a 7, I'd rather not talk to them.
If they don't like Cromartie High School, Tiger & Bunny, or Uchuu Kyoudai, we can't be friends.
If they dislike the new JoJo anime, they at least have to like the manga, but they'll still lose points in my book.
Nov 12, 2012 3:27 AM
Aug 2012
Once I would of said...so Cowboy Beboy or NGE ? (or the bigger question NGE vs Utena!).

Kind of like those eternal divisions - Pepsi vs Coke, Mac vs IBM, PS3 vs Xbox or PC vs Console, or....Holden vs Ford (ho ha!).

(Couldn't tell you what an answer for either side would mean though!)
Nov 12, 2012 3:32 AM

Apr 2012
Someone once said nothing happened in Aria and it was too slow and all it was good for was the moe faces. I think I died a little on the inside.
Nov 12, 2012 3:32 AM

Jun 2007
I do judge other people, but not their taste in cartoons.
Nov 12, 2012 3:54 AM

Mar 2012
If you didn't like how K-On won awards and you haven't seen Season Two and the Movie, then your opinion doesn't mean shit. Don't bother with the friend request.

If you keep going on about how Evangelion is incredibly intelligent and deep but then rant about how Madoka Magica is shallow, angsty, contrived and pretentious, then I don't want to associate with your shallow taste

If you base your entire opinion on a show because of someone else's opinion without having seen said show, come back when you can think for yourself.

If you watched Cowboy Bebop in Japanese, you're no fun.

If you say you hate all English dubs, you better have watched every single English dub in existence to form that opinion.

If your favourite classic anime is Evangelion, you have shit taste.

If you consider A-Channel to be even a little bit better than K-On, you have shit taste.
Nov 12, 2012 4:08 AM
Mar 2011
people i find ODD

People who call 90's anime Old have no idea what retro is
if you over praize lazy studios
People Who Hate on Older anime cause is Old
People who Call bebop a Classic [ with out havng seen thr true Classic of Sci Fi Anime]
People who think Moefied animation is good
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Nov 12, 2012 4:13 AM

Mar 2012
Otaking87 said:
people i find ODD

People who Call bebop a Classic [ with out havng seen thr true Classic of Sci Fi Anime]

No.
Nov 12, 2012 4:15 AM
Mar 2011
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Otaking87 said:
people i find ODD

No.

or let me re word that
people who Tastes i judge harsher than others
DateYutakaNov 12, 2012 4:20 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Nov 12, 2012 4:20 AM

Sep 2012
I generally dislike Legend of the Galactic Heroes fan boys > they tend to take anime too seriously...
Nov 12, 2012 4:21 AM
Mar 2011
m_c093 said:
I generally dislike Legend of the Galactic Heroes fan boys > they tend to take anime too seriously...

one who have never read the novel bug me to

Nov 12, 2012 4:29 AM

Mar 2012
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Otaking87 said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Otaking87 said:
people i find ODD

No.

or let me re word that

I can half agree with the older animation thing but your other points are pretty stupid. It seems more like you're judging them based on personal preference rather than their taste
Nov 12, 2012 4:36 AM

Nov 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
I do judge other people, but not their taste in cartoons.

"Not their taste in cartoons. Just animes. " :troll:

Back to the topic.
It is just plain ignominious how the anime wanna be otaku fanbase is expanding ,and the "desu desu" wretch-minded chicks are multiplying that it makes it very hard to spot the rational and astute enthusiast instead of the impostors.
For starters , it's asinine to judge a person just on the fact that he watched an anime, because we know , none can base an impartial judgement without actually watching it first. It's logic ,folks. You discuss an anime you both saw and then see if you have the same insight , or maybe even realizing new things and make speculations about events or clues that remained unexplained while drinking a cup of tea at the cafeteria during symposium breaks.

I love talking about psychological seinens and see what the other person has to say concerning this or that particular incident or person. It reflects his level of understanding and how well did he assimilate the current of the plot. For we know , a lot of people watch animes just for the sake of watching it or telling the other people that they're watching it while the truth is , you can't even make a decent sum up conversation with him, and he's all like :" I don't give attention to the details" .Just... return to the dumpster that spawned you already.
This particular type of people are the most annoying, and deserve to be struck by ostracism.
Nov 12, 2012 4:42 AM

Jun 2009
Otaking87 said:
m_c093 said:

one who have never read the novel bug me to

Well, if it was translated we'd probably read it.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 12, 2012 4:47 AM

Jan 2012
HATUL300 said:
If anyone has Fairy Tail in their favorites (or if it gets a relitively high score), to put it lightly, I probably don't have that much in common with them.
Also if they love Madoka and yet hate Evangelion then their taste kinda sucks imo.
Their opinion on Ghost in the Shell is another excellent way to figure out if they have taste in my view at least.

this so much
Nov 12, 2012 4:49 AM

Oct 2011
I usually just go and say ya like lolis?
And I usually get bad reception afterwards.
Though I hit the jackpot every once in a while...
Nov 12, 2012 5:10 AM

Sep 2012
if someone considers DBZ to be the best thing theyve ever seen. nope
what they think of TTGL
whether theyre a sub elitist or someone open to both sides of subs and dubs depending on the quality of either
if someone thinks haruhi is the ultimate gift from god. nope
what their interest in anime movies is.
whether you appreciate k-on for its fun relaxing atmosphere or immediately consider it to be the cancer of this world after watching approximately 35 seconds of episode 1
if you didnt laugh once whilst watching nichijou
Nov 12, 2012 5:19 AM
Oct 2012
eldest said:
what they think of TTGL
whether theyre a sub elitist or someone open to both sides of subs and dubs depending on the quality of either
whether you appreciate k-on for its fun relaxing atmosphere or immediately consider it to be the cancer of this world after watching approximately 35 seconds of episode 1
man if i ever met u in real life we would be friends already
Nov 12, 2012 5:32 AM

Apr 2012
Asking for an opinion on Eva seems sensible to me. Anyone worth talking to who has watched it should at least have something intelligent to say about it. Don't mind if positive or negative, I love it, but there are plenty of good reasons to hate it too. But if it just leaves you completely indifferent... no.
Nov 12, 2012 5:43 AM

Nov 2012
eldest said:
what they think of TTGL

LMFAO.
When I was watching Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou with my comrades , every episode lasted for around 30 - 40 minutes. Why ? We always kept on pausing and laughing our ass off till crying our tears dry. Especially the simulations, fictional lip sync plotting to random chicks and virtual RPGs parts. We would've probably laughed at anything at that time because of the stress from work though.
Nov 12, 2012 5:45 AM
Jul 2012
^ I think he was talking about the other nichijou, Danshi Koukousei no nichijou is a real mans show
Nov 12, 2012 6:07 AM

Aug 2012
Itermin8rX said:
If they like Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Darker Than Black, Ouran HS Host club, Toward the Terra, Psycho Pass and classic anime, they're my auto-best friend.

I literally think people have a bad taste when it comes to anime like SAO (except when they are below episode 7 or something) and praising Vampire knight.

same here..
Nov 12, 2012 6:30 AM
Feb 2012
If I dislike their taste:
Big 4 Shounens
Adult Swim Fanboys
K-On!
HOTD
Mirai Nikki
etc.

If I like their taste:
Saki
Chihayafuru
Seitokai no Ichizon
Code Geass
Steins Gate
Clannad
Nov 12, 2012 7:03 AM

Aug 2009
Some shounen. One Piece, Naruto, whatever, something to gauge if they're someone who takes anime way too seriously or just a fan.
Nov 12, 2012 7:08 AM
Nov 2010
"What anime do you use to judge other people's tastes?"

Mars of destruction
Nov 12, 2012 7:21 AM
Mar 2011
Slatrix said:
If I dislike their taste:
Big 4 Shounens
Adult Swim Fanboys
K-On!
HOTD
Mirai Nikki
etc.

If I like their taste:
Saki
Chihayafuru
Seitokai no Ichizon
Code Geass
Steins Gate
Clannad

your one of people who tatse is bad

Nov 12, 2012 7:21 AM
Oct 2010
HATUL300 said:

How did you come to that conclusion and yes I fit your criteria, except I like the EVA movies alot.
Nov 12, 2012 7:33 AM

Dec 2011
I don't. Taste in anime is really subjective. I wouldn't know how to judge it because what I'd end up calling "someone with a bad taste" would just be someone with really different tastes than mine, and not necessarily bad.

If this makes any sense.

jiroutachiNov 12, 2012 7:37 AM
Nov 12, 2012 7:34 AM

Mar 2011
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Otaking87 said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Otaking87 said:
people i find ODD

No.

or let me re word that

I can half agree with the older animation thing but your other points are pretty stupid. It seems more like you're judging them based on personal preference rather than their taste

Can you explain what that means?
toyboxNov 12, 2012 7:44 AM
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Nov 12, 2012 7:37 AM

Nov 2011
I judge on their opinion of Boku no Pico
The Art of Eight
Nov 12, 2012 7:44 AM

Nov 2011
dankickyou said:
I judge on their opinion of Boku no Pico

That only those with shit taste dislike it?

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Nov 12, 2012 7:54 AM

Oct 2008
skudoops said:
HATUL300 said:

How did you come to that conclusion and yes I fit your criteria, except I like the EVA movies alot.

Well, I might've exaggerated a little bit, I mean Madoka isn't a bad series, but EVA is just so much better in so many ways. Even Bokurano was better imo.
As for the EVA movies, I really don't see why you (and others) like the movies and not the original for any other reason except the better animation, which is the only thing the movies have going for it so far (I mean the movies aren't even finished yet and they don't really capture the atmosphere of the original).
So yeah, the fact that you like only the movies is not a positive thing from my point of view either.
Nov 12, 2012 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
HATUL300 said:
skudoops said:
HATUL300 said:

Well, I might've exaggerated a little bit, I mean Madoka isn't a bad series, but EVA is just so much better in so many ways. Even Bokurano was better imo.

Madoka > Bokurano > NGE, is a better way of putting it(imo).

Nov 12, 2012 7:59 AM
Mar 2011
rederoin said:
HATUL300 said:
skudoops said:
HATUL300 said:

Madoka > Bokurano > NGE, is a better way of putting it(imo).

you sir are unpious

Nov 12, 2012 8:05 AM

Mar 2012
I literally hate everyone hating on SAO, since noone ever gives a reason why. If someone tells me why they think it is bad I can accept it, but just saying it's shit cannot be called an opinion worth listening to.
To judge wether they have a good taste in anime or not I would ask them if they liked Spice and Wolf and Clannad, since I cannot imagine someone ever not liking it.
Nov 12, 2012 8:05 AM

Dec 2011
HATUL300 said:
skudoops said:
HATUL300 said:

As for the EVA movies, I really don't see why you (and others) like the movies and not the original for any other reason except the better animation, which is the only thing the movies have going for it so far (I mean the movies aren't even finished yet and they don't really capture the atmosphere of the original).
So yeah, the fact that you like only the movies is not a positive thing from my point of view either.

What? No, it isn't. The main difference between the rebuilds and the series, besides the fact that the rebuilds won't contain the whole mindfuck ending + have better animation, is that the characters are more likeable and, most importantly, actually progressing and developing. In the series it's the opposite. I mean, take Rei as an example. I hated her when I watched NGE, because she was basically deprived of having a personality and never developed out of that, she was like a robot the whole series. But look at what the rebuilds are doing to her, they're making her a highly likeable character who's slowly progressing out of that emotionless exterior. That's the main difference and what makes me like the movies better than the series.
Nov 12, 2012 8:08 AM
Oct 2010
HATUL300 said:
skudoops said:
HATUL300 said:

Because between all the good stuff the characters were lost. Yes I know that was done on purpose, but I dislike the way it was done. Asuka is a walking contradiction because of Kaji although the Kaji thing can be interpreted to be in-line with the character except for the fact that she acted that way around him before hand. Shinji is just annoying and keeps quitting and coming back like a boomerang and on top of it does nothing but whine for the entire show and mans up for like 5mins then regresses after one incident, and finally Rei is nothing more than a plot device, she isn't even a character in my eyes, just something put there to continue the story and to affect the other characters.

You want to know why people like the movies more? Because they bring everything good about the series except the characters are handled infinitely better despite less development especially Rei (my opinion of course).
Nov 12, 2012 8:08 AM

Nov 2011
Kosameron said:
I literally hate everyone hating on SAO, since noone ever gives a reason why. If someone tells me why they think it is bad I can accept it, but just saying it's shit cannot be called an opinion worth listening to.
To judge wether they have a good taste in anime or not I would ask them if they liked Spice and Wolf and Clannad, since I cannot imagine someone ever not liking it.

A lot of people have been giving reasons as to why they dislike SAO. Or do you not accept those because you don't like the reasons?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

61 by FanofAction »»
1 minute ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 24 minutes ago

6 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

29 by MichaelJackson »»
7 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

85 by LenRea »»
19 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 2 hours ago

10 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.