Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Nov 12, 2008 12:51 AM

May 2008
Leinel said:
Touma...nooo. How can ya lied to Index?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same way.

And I went from being really upset that they didn't have him head shield her, to hearing called GAR and almost wanting it not to have happened. GAR has the ability to ruin everything for me.

Well let's see what's going on here...this is chivalry. It's taking a completely beautiful act of self sacrifice that could have been done my either gender and making it a male chivalry thing. As in "Oh he's such a superior man in that he's saving the inferior females, how many female's have you saved? That's right, none, because you're nothing but a woman in comparison". Yeah I see how that works right there.

You know what, nevermind, I no longer miss his little act of self sacrifice.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 12, 2008 7:36 AM

Mar 2007
I didn't like this episode because of the hospital meeting and Touma losing his memories. I have less hope for this series now. Index herself is still love no matter what though. =3
Nov 12, 2008 11:04 AM

Nov 2007
I was a bit disappointed with the "daisuki" scene (whether you want to translate it as "like" or "love" doesn't matter) -- really, Index, you've known the guy for how long? Yes, he's saved her life, but they haven't had enough, you know, actual interaction in the series for the moment to be appropriately dramatic. They've been through a lot, but it was usually separately (and often with one of the parties passed out x.x) To be honest, I felt kind of the same about Touma's speech-making about Index.

Also, vampires? And am I the only one who thought it looked like Mr. floating-in-a-tube has boobs? (Or is it just the upside-down perspective that gives that illusion?)

Other than those issues, this was an OK episode. I really hope they get to the real "meat" of the plot soon, though.

[avatar from Tales of the Abyss]
Nov 12, 2008 11:22 AM

May 2008
Senna said:
Also, vampires? And am I the only one who thought it looked like Mr. floating-in-a-tube has boobs? (Or is it just the upside-down perspective that gives that illusion?)

He seems to have that whole Ghost in the Shell puppetmaster thing going on.

Nov 12, 2008 11:29 AM

Mar 2007
Not bad. Abit to mutch talking at the end but still a great episode
Instagram: Luzifurr
Nov 12, 2008 12:09 PM

Jul 2008
A defenseless woman who just happened to remember nothing else than tome of dark magic, who got pursuied all the time since she remember and who managed to make a friend who fighted for protecting her, who had fun with her, how can she not like or even love him.

I would not see a normal college student who have a happy life but for someone like Index I really can see that she love him.
Nov 12, 2008 12:29 PM

Feb 2008
I think they should speed things up a bit. They only just covered the first novel in 6 episodes and there's what, like 16 of them? Then again they'll probably do multiple seasons.
Nov 12, 2008 3:06 PM
Dec 2007
maxime1007 said:
A defenseless woman who just happened to remember nothing else than tome of dark magic, who got pursuied all the time since she remember and who managed to make a friend who fighted for protecting her, who had fun with her, how can she not like or even love him.
While I think they did rush it a bit, it's really no surprise. Seriously here, Touma saved her life and sheltered her. Plus the guy risked his life to protect hers to the point of stupidity. If anything, Index's liking him, or even loving him, would not be so farfetched, considering the guy actually was there for her. Now, Touma risking his life for this random girl who happened to fall on his apartment's balcony... now that's something that's strange and stupid, yet no one questions it because male leads always have to be the heroes and protect the helpless females (that they happened to meet like, a day ago).

Nov 12, 2008 3:15 PM

Jul 2008
Leon-Gun said:
maxime1007 said:
While I think they did rush it a bit, it's really no surprise. Seriously here, Touma saved her life and sheltered her. Plus the guy risked his life to protect hers to the point of stupidity. If anything, Index's liking him, or even loving him, would not be so farfetched, considering the guy actually was there for her. Now, Touma risking his life for this random girl who happened to fall on his apartment's balcony... now that's something that's strange and stupid, yet no one questions it because male leads always have to be the heroes and protect the helpless females (that they happened to meet like, a day ago).

Well I guess at first he didn't planned to protect her to that extent but thing followed up and giving Index to people you think who want her dead would make him feel responsable for what would have happen afterward. Then he got involved, even tough he still could got away from this he made the choice to protect her, maybe because he got a liking to her, he wanted action or whatever reason.

I don't know but following Touma way he did the right thing, he just have a lot of resolve and is full in what he do.

The situation have develop to a good point, I don't think either Touma or Index are weird, they just happen to have their own circunstance who make them go this way.

I agree on the last line most of the time tough I don't think it fits this show, rather Touma would have been an asshole if he wouldn't have done what he did.
Nov 12, 2008 5:45 PM
Dec 2007
Yeah, in part I guess you are correct. And judging by the characterization we got at the start of the series, Touma seems to be the kind of person who butts in on other people's issues, whether they want the help or not.

Nov 13, 2008 12:59 AM

May 2008
I agree, Index's love of Touma is not unfounded.
I don't even know how this is gonna work itself out, but it looks a lot more bleak now.
Not only does Index have a problem of the church still, but Touma doesn't remember a damn thing. And an irony of roles reversed. Somehow he's gotta get back his memory.
Even if his brain cells were destroyed...still...that just ain't right for a storyline.
And it especially ain't right if she never finds out the truth. That he was lying.

Nov 13, 2008 3:32 AM

Jun 2008
The episode was intriguing. I really wonder who is the Imagine Breaker for, hmh.

To bad Touma lost his memories, but he wasn't very smart to begin with, so he'll catch up soon :P Maybe a fresh start isn't a bad thing for him.
Nov 13, 2008 3:36 AM

Jul 2008
Well the true matter is : To what extent Touma lost his memories. If it's only from the last week or so he can catch up fast but if he lost all his memories that'll take a bit more time.

I don't think he will regain them, that would suck I love it that way.
Nov 13, 2008 9:25 PM

Nov 2007
This episode wasn't all the good sadly D: the part where he was running to Index at the beginning took forever @_@, he could have run a marathonalthough the ending part does raise some questions :3
Nov 14, 2008 2:08 AM

Jan 2008
Eh, there was too much talk during the fight and it sucks how Touma lost his memories...
Add to that, I didn't understand what went on at the ending >_>
Nov 14, 2008 12:50 PM

Jul 2008
Poor Touma. I'm interested in seeing how the show is going to play from here on out.

Shits starting to get a little complicated though, with those last few minutes of dialogue. I'm getting a little skeptical with the vampire stuff but the episode was decent and I actually enjoyed the hospital scene a lot.

Crimsonwill said:
the part where he was running to Index at the beginning took forever

Lol, I was thinking the same thing; even for dramatic effect, he was taking a fucking godly amount of time to get across that room.
Nov 14, 2008 3:36 PM

Jul 2008
The memory loss surprised me a lot :P I thought he was playing around and..... OMG... This episode was really good

Nov 15, 2008 4:30 PM

Jan 2008
I voted 5 for the episodes, but with some regrets. Though I'm loving this series so far, there were 2 parts they I couldn't bear:

1 - the fighting room: ahem, what about that hand? It seemed to got broken in an instant due to the Dragon's Breath, it bleed too. But in the end he took any damage. Let's cut that part next time or make Mamijou's pain more realistic

2 - memory loss: I thought "Wow, a sad ending. He really became the hero". But after that the climax of Index's pain ended with a joke. IMO it was too sudden. What about the same effect but avoiding the frivolous joke? He could immediately say those things... I felt sorry for Index, even though she stopped crying.
Nov 15, 2008 8:15 PM

Nov 2006
I cried. ;_; Touma is so wonderful.

Void_Zero said:
I voted 5 for the episodes, but with some regrets. Though I'm loving this series so far, there were 2 parts they I couldn't bear:

1 - the fighting room: ahem, what about that hand? It seemed to got broken in an instant due to the Dragon's Breath, it bleed too. But in the end he took any damage. Let's cut that part next time or make Mamijou's pain more realistic

2 - memory loss: I thought "Wow, a sad ending. He really became the hero". But after that the climax of Index's pain ended with a joke. IMO it was too sudden. What about the same effect but avoiding the frivolous joke? He could immediately say those things... I felt sorry for Index, even though she stopped crying.
#1 I agree with.
#2 - It was a Touma-esque thing to do, and he did it to back up his lie I think.
Nov 16, 2008 2:33 PM

Feb 2008
My opinion:

Rather boring and unintentionally funny fight/talk scene. But the surprising end of the episode (Touma lost his memories + Vampires) saved the day! ^^
Nov 19, 2008 11:44 AM
Mar 2008
Wtf lol, at first I was like "Touma's an asshole for making Index cry even when she said she cared about him" but then he really did lose his memory lol. The ending made me confused but at least it's interesting.
Nov 26, 2008 1:08 PM

Sep 2008
I almost thought it changed from him not pretending but than he did that little trick and I forgot about it. xD
Dec 6, 2008 9:38 PM
Dec 2008
Hmmm, I was wondering how the heck Stiyl still alive if that dude can make his imagination real. Toumas arm got chopped off because of that, then how the heck is he still alive xDD
Dec 18, 2008 2:29 PM

Jan 2008
Did anyone get a feeling at the point where he say: "vampires! zomg!".
It made me think about Index biting touma all over the place xD
~de Arimasu
Dec 28, 2008 12:42 AM

May 2008
8GaugeBrett said:
LoL. Did anyone else notice that Touma was running at full speed across that apartment towards Index for like 5 minutes?

I was actually going to comment on this; that was the most exaggerated dimensional distortion full speed run I've seen in an anime. Kinda funny in its own little way :D

NO HOW COULD HE FORGET... god dam. This better turn out ok (hold on, its a shounen... of course it will).
Jan 2, 2009 6:53 PM

Jun 2008
That really sucks Touma lost his memories. >_>
HEY!
Feb 5, 2009 1:16 AM

Jun 2008
I pretty much stopped here when watching due to lack of time, coupled with boredom. I'm going to solicit advice from people who have watched further: does this show get better after this overly long prologue? Is it worth watching?
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Mar 18, 2009 8:30 PM

May 2008
^ theres much worse shows with insanely long OP's and quick recaps. just for example hitman reborn. Its horrid how long they are and the show ends like 7 minutes early for the haru haru gay interview crap.

Anyways the whole him forgetting his memory was kinda lame...
Apr 5, 2009 4:58 AM

Jan 2009
Tricks of fate lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2009 4:51 AM

Jul 2008
Ohhh.. the irony. I didn't really like that Touma lied to Index saying he didn't lose his memories. I mean, sure, people may think it's the "noble" thing to do. But I just don't see why he couldn't tell her the full truth. That he really doesn't remember her, but that he feels she's very important to him and he wants to protect her. Ehh.. Well, hopefully his lie won't come back to bite him on the ass.
Apr 21, 2009 8:42 AM

Mar 2009
freakman012 said:
^ theres much worse shows with insanely long OP's and quick recaps. just for example hitman reborn. Its horrid how long they are and the show ends like 7 minutes early for the haru haru gay interview crap.

Anyways the whole him forgetting his memory was kinda lame...

He didn't forget his memories, he lost them completely. The Doc told him his brain cells of his memories were destroy from the spell so don't expect for him to find his old memories cause their never gonna come back again.
Oct 4, 2009 6:37 PM

Jul 2009
Damn Touma lost his memory completely but he still thinks Index that far, man that was great
Oct 8, 2009 3:47 PM

Jul 2009
Hmm no one else but me that was a bit bugged by the fact that Touma's hand was bleeding and that by the sound and look of things he's fingers where breaking, and then the hand got completely destroyed or at least wounded enough for him to withdraw it.

Yet when he finally reaches Index after the worlds slowest sprint the hand is perfectly fine and have no wounds or damages what so ever?

Seems a bit strange to me.

The whole memory thing was a bit confusing too, but in the end it was made clear that he actually lost all his memories, interesting twist in the plot I'd say.

Really curious to see who that upside down women in the glass tank is and what role she plays in everything.
By the look of things it seems as if she is the "leader" of the science side.
Oct 19, 2009 12:32 PM

May 2009
Deep Blood? Vampires? A bit too much information this episode.
Touma actually lost his memories. At first I thought he was just being an ass, but he actually cares about Index feelings that much.
Nov 30, 2009 2:17 AM

Aug 2009
Very good episode! Poor Touya! And I'm surprised that no one besides the frog doc who knows that Touya's lost all of his memory. He's an expert at fooling people. :P
Dec 18, 2009 12:30 AM

Aug 2007
So confused...Guess Touma really forgot everything but the idea of getting his memory back with his hand is pretty smart....and i dont get the ending...the guy in the tube seems to be with science and the fire dude is magic...why they working together? o.O
Dec 31, 2009 4:13 PM

Jun 2008
TOO MUCH INFO, TOO CONFUSED

Sad to know Touma's memories are really gone. I guess glass tank man seems to be the leader of the science side, who knows what's up. I still don't get everything but I'll try. I don't know why I still don't like this anime, I like it enough to watch it but it feels so weird. I want more characters is what I need.
Jan 18, 2010 9:32 AM

Aug 2009
Oh my, at first I was like noo Touma lost his memories, but then I was like oh fuck you Touma you liar, but after the doctor came in, I was like oh damn it, he really lost his memories, poor Index. :(

Also, what the fuck is deep blood? That dude in the tube in the end referred Deep Blood like it was in the same league as Touma's Imagine Breaker. Also, VAMPIRES? Lmfao, I didn't expect vampires in this Anime. I want to get surprised more.

I didn't get the conversation between the fire mage and the trap inside the tube in the end. That trap isn't part of the church right? since he said he's one of the science side.
Feb 22, 2010 8:50 AM

Nov 2008
This made for an interesting development. I still don't get the plot, but it's still interesting enough for me to want to continue watching the series.

Its kind of sad that he lost his memories. I wonder how index will react when she finds out.

And that last part, what's with science and magic? That is still something that I don't understand about this series.
Apr 15, 2010 8:49 AM

Aug 2008
Ah I actually like this ep. Love how sad it was that Touma lost his memories and he's only pretending to remember Index. :((
May 7, 2010 9:19 AM

Apr 2010
The battle scene on this ep was kinda lame. It was just characters talking while lights flashed in the background.

Touma losing his memory is a good twist; and with the "deep blood" thing, it seems like there'll be a new storline.
Jun 3, 2010 9:01 PM

Jan 2010
I have to say, I'm liking Touma more and more each episode. He is an awesome shonen protagonist.

Looks like plot-wise things are starting to heat up. I'm curious what the Church magicians will do next.
Jun 28, 2010 8:40 PM

Jun 2009
So he lost his memories but no really but he actually did? LOL
Jun 30, 2010 2:05 AM

Jul 2008
i guess it actually does take 5 min to run across a japanese style apartment or there was some spatial distortion caused by whatever magic was going on... another problem was that it sounded like touma's hand broke twice during that standoff but he came out unscathed (as far as his arm goes)

the i-completely-forgot-but-pretend-i-didnt part made no sense. either this is bad plot development or something is up... well see

vampires? c'mon

i dont know, but this show is skating on thin ice... maybe it'll make a recovery

lastly, i dont like touma... i guess one can admire the amount of courage he has, but hes really weak. i think he relies on his right arm too much... if i was an enemy, id just cut it off... its not like he can defend himself from an experienced opponent... problem solved
Aug 2, 2010 11:25 AM

Jun 2009
Ep 5:
"where on her body have i not touched yet?"
Ep 6:
Auto-warning trigger-alerts.

I'm having lots of Chobits vibes here...
Aug 31, 2010 9:53 AM
Aug 2007
Lol i'm dead confused, after watching it a 3rd time for this specific episode lol.. I dislike the memory loss bit very much lol they don't explain it enough lol twisting our thoughts 3 times.. I don't even know if he's trying to hide something anymore lool but then they might have done this to portray the kind of feeling kanzaki and magnus felt to index or something like that.. lol i hate that portrayed feeling.. grr lol ~ahhh so confused~ ^^ I liked Railgun alot more (: biribiri~
Oct 2, 2010 4:44 PM
Jul 2008
Just watched part of it. Took him a long ass time to run across that little room
Oct 5, 2010 4:53 PM

Nov 2009
That is one powerful attack Index has. It is so sad that Touma lost his memories but Index got to keep her's. Great episode.
Teqnique said:
Took him a long ass time to run across that little room

I noticed that as well. XD
Oct 26, 2010 8:32 AM
Jun 2008
Kind of 'meh' episode - the end was interesting, though.
Dec 12, 2010 4:50 AM

Sep 2008
I really liked the episode...

Have to say, I found Touma's "act" really convincing. I, too, thought he really hadn't forgotten... Though his explanation, I thought, was really fishy and didn't sound entirely possible. Should've known better, ahah...

So... Vampires are entering the picture now? Rather than Deep Blood, I want to know who the upside down floating guy is. o_O
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» So, Where is Index 4?

BerriesSan - Apr 14

2 by BerriesSan »»
Apr 15, 9:12 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

279 by R2Doucebag »»
Mar 27, 8:18 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

AkariChan - Feb 5, 2009

155 by 8iman »»
Jan 14, 3:53 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 29, 2008

205 by DebiPS »»
Jan 11, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

74 by Kayfee »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.