Forum Settings
Forums

Advanced MPC-HC Setup Guide - with madVR (v1.2) (Read note on first post)

New
Pages (28) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Dec 13, 2012 7:11 PM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Whenever I opened a video it would prompt me to run madVR but I unchecked the box that said "Ask me everytime" so I guess it just auto-runs now? Maybe this process slows it down?

Hm... I don't know if it's related, it could be a lot of work, but would you upload a screenshot of this control panel then? If I have the image I might find something that could help.

JrittmayerDec 13, 2012 7:16 PM
Dec 13, 2012 7:14 PM

Jan 2011
Doesn't seem like it's a problem with the settings. Thanks for the pic. Put a spoiler tag so it doesn't mess up with the thread page, haha. I'll search more on this tomorrow, I have to get going now unfortunately. I'll make a update on your profile as soon as I can, promise!
Dec 13, 2012 7:27 PM
Dec 2012
Did not reformat after all (got lazy) but here are the screen shots.
Seems like I was actually using Haali. Both are M2ts and same size.

First up is The Grey
http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/PhotoUndertaker/media/screenshot_zps990bddf1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Next is drive which I have been able to play without any problems before.
http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/PhotoUndertaker/media/screenshot2_zpsf21bf3b5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Both have the x'd out speaker in the bottom right corner.
Dec 13, 2012 7:53 PM
Dec 2012
Here is another file screenshot. This one is a .wmv file 7.55 GB. I had no problems playing
this file before. I'm able to watch the movie for 10 minutes before the cpu goes to 100% and mpc crashes with a mini dump.

http://s1299.beta.photobucket.com/user/PhotoUndertaker/media/Untitled-3_zpse346cbed.jpg.html
Dec 14, 2012 4:34 AM

Jan 2011
Strange, very strange.

I don't think you followed this guide step by step Corin. First you're using Haali for .m2ts when LAV is the one supposed to handle it. Fix that in the filters list and options for the splitter. Next, use imgur.com for your screenshots, Photobucket will always rezise, I almost can't read anything there. Now to the most important, you're getting a "mini dump" error, please check the memory usage of MPC-HC while playing those videos and report it here.

I have 2 theories regarding your problems:

1. Related to the .m2ts, I've finally found a sample that doesn't play properly here, seems like DTS Express is not compatible with this guide. I would appreciate a screenshot just like the one in "The Grey" with the file you can't hear the sound, but make sure you're using LAV Splitter or it will be useless.

2. The mini dump problem is usually caused by leak of memory, that's why I'm asking a report in this matter. Even if the memory levels are normal, I recommend you trying a new MPC-HC version from the link provided or a stable one, and see if anything changes.

I would also recommend you to re-do or just re-check the guide step by step, and make sure it's not a problem with your settings.
Dec 14, 2012 12:38 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, this slow start up problem is actually more annoying than I though. Having to wait for a video to start is quite annoying. Not only that but when I scroll forward there a delay for the audio to start back up (around 1 secondish)

Also, is there a way to generate thumbnails images for videos using this setup?
JrittmayerDec 14, 2012 12:44 PM
Dec 14, 2012 12:45 PM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
Yeah, this slow start up problem is actually more annoying than I though. Having to wait for a video to start is quite annoying. Not only that but when I scroll forward there a delay for the audio to start back up (around 1 secondish)

Good thing you passed by, I'm still searching around a little, I believe this is a madVR issue, my delay also got from 2-3 seconds to 4-5. Not too much, but I noticed it. It seems like that came up with version 0.85.3. About the audio delay, that's explained in the FAQ. See section of Audio, last question.

Edit: Thumbnails huh... It's not impossible, but it's not something you should be asking for. For .mkv files you'll need a DivX Media Pack, which messes up with your registry and might cause some problems with your currently installed filters. Not to mention far as I know it's not for free.
NiyawaDec 14, 2012 12:52 PM
Dec 14, 2012 1:26 PM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

Good thing you passed by, I'm still searching around a little, I believe this is a madVR issue, my delay also got from 2-3 seconds to 4-5. Not too much, but I noticed it. It seems like that came up with version 0.85.3. About the audio delay, that's explained in the FAQ. See section of Audio, last question.

Edit: Thumbnails huh... It's not impossible, but it's not something you should be asking for. For .mkv files you'll need a DivX Media Pack, which messes up with your registry and might cause some problems with your currently installed filters. Not to mention far as I know it's not for free.

Changed the pre-buffer in re-clock to 25 and that seems to have fixed the audio problem.

Okay, so the problem lies with madVR, is there fix or workaround for this?
Dec 14, 2012 1:50 PM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:

For now I don't think so, I'l going to get in touch with madshi and ask around a little. Meanwhile, you didn't enable/disable any option that's not included in the guide did you? Especially something like "delay playback start until render queue is full".
Dec 14, 2012 2:09 PM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

For now I don't think so, I'l going to get in touch with madshi and ask around a little. Meanwhile, you didn't enable/disable any option that's not included in the guide did you? Especially something like "delay playback start until render queue is full".

I followed the guide word for word, including the optional stuff like Reclock.

Where would delay playback start be located, just so I can double check?
Dec 14, 2012 2:11 PM
Dec 2012
Niyawa said:
Strange, very strange.

I don't think you followed this guide step by step Corin. First you're using Haali for .m2ts when LAV is the one supposed to handle it. Fix that in the filters list and options for the splitter. Next, use imgur.com for your screenshots, Photobucket will always rezise, I almost can't read anything there. Now to the most important, you're getting a "mini dump" error, please check the memory usage of MPC-HC while playing those videos and report it here.

I have 2 theories regarding your problems:

1. Related to the .m2ts, I've finally found a sample that doesn't play properly here, seems like DTS Express is not compatible with this guide. I would appreciate a screenshot just like the one in "The Grey" with the file you can't hear the sound, but make sure you're using LAV Splitter or it will be useless.

2. The mini dump problem is usually caused by leak of memory, that's why I'm asking a report in this matter. Even if the memory levels are normal, I recommend you trying a new MPC-HC version from the link provided or a stable one, and see if anything changes.

I would also recommend you to re-do or just re-check the guide step by step, and make sure it's not a problem with your settings.

1. I rechecked the steps from the guide and I don't think I missed anything.
In order to get LAV Splitter to do the job should I go to the LAV Splitter source
properties in external filters and check every input format except for matroska?
I tried that and it still uses Haali media source for m2ts files.

2. My cpu fluctuates between 40 and 60 with the m2ts files that currently don't have sound. When I skip forward the cpu increases to about 80%.

I tried a 15GB mkv file to see the cpu activity. When I browse through scenes the cpu is higher and the audio makes weird screeching noises sometimes. Here is screenshot of this movie.
http://imgur.com/FuzHL
Dec 14, 2012 2:13 PM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:

Go to madVR options, it's under "rendering" > "general settings".
Dec 14, 2012 2:15 PM
Dec 2012
Like Jrittmayer I also did Reclock and set it as the audio rendered afterwards in playback>output. I downloaded both the Jan Willem MPC and the regularx86 install version of MPC from the links you provided.
Dec 14, 2012 2:20 PM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

Go to madVR options, it's under "rendering" > "general settings".

It's unchecked....hmm, this is puzzling. Can I install an older version of madVR or something or will that screw the whole setup up?

Also, audio started stuttering now...probably because of reclock....ugh, can I use a different audio decoder, which one would I use?
Dec 14, 2012 2:29 PM

Jan 2011
TheCorinthian said:
1. I rechecked the steps from the guide and I don't think I missed anything. In order to get LAV Splitter to do the job should I go to the LAV Splitter source properties in external filters and check every input format except for matroska? I tried that and it still uses Haali media source for m2ts files.

Exactly, why Haali is overdoing it I don't know. Try to block Haali in External Filters and see if it changes something. I need it too see what type of audio you're dealing with. If it's DTS Express then you can't do anything about it aside from using Arcsoft software.

2. My cpu fluctuates between 40 and 60 with the m2ts files that currently don't have sound. When I skip forward the cpu increases to about 80%. I tried a 15GB mkv file to see the cpu activity. When I browse through scenes the cpu is higher and the audio makes weird screeching noises sometimes. Here is screenshot of this movie.

I believe the problem is because of your specs. Like I already said, 1080p with a Core 2 Duo does not compute. The software you used before it must have been downscaling the quality so you could play it properly. Neither madVR or EVR-CP does that, which is why it's making those weird issues.

Jrittmayer said:
It's unchecked....hmm, this is puzzling. Can I install an older version of madVR or something or will that screw the whole setup up?

It won't. Try to use the 0.85.2 until I get more results in my search. You can find it here.

Also, audio started stuttering now...probably because of reclock....ugh, can I use a different audio decoder, which one would I use?

ReClock is an audio renderer, not decoder. You can simply uninstall it and remove from the "External Filters" list. Then you go to "Output" and apply the default audio renderer to "System Default" and you're done.
NiyawaDec 14, 2012 2:32 PM
Dec 14, 2012 3:34 PM
Dec 2012
Blocking Haali external filters fixes the audio issues for m2ts. M2ts videos use up
95% to 100% of cpu now which has me thinking that your guess might be correct. Maybe the software I was using before was down Down Scaling my vids.

If I were to upgrade to a desktop what specs would be good enough to play 1080p movies with high bitrates and not down scaling them? I'm not familiar with the latest graphics cards so if you could suggest a few that would be great.

Thanks again for the help.
Dec 14, 2012 9:02 PM

Jan 2011
TheCorinthian said:
If I were to upgrade to a desktop what specs would be good enough to play 1080p movies with high bitrates and not down scaling them? I'm not familiar with the latest graphics cards so if you could suggest a few that would be great.

For CPU, any quad-core of at least 3 Ghz is a safe bet. My personal recommendation would be a Core i5 3570K that's around $200~220. Basically the same price of 2500K, that was considered the best for mid-ranges until some time ago.

As for GPU, you don't seem like the gamer type, so a GTX 650 that's around $100 will do. You can also get a 650 Ti which is about $40 more but with 50% more performance, it's your pick.

I should be the one thanking you. Most people would just get pissed of and go away in a situation like this blaming everything because they can't get something to work. You kept around until the end and learned a lot all together, and me as well too.
Dec 14, 2012 10:00 PM

Jun 2009
Wait, so does this process down scale higher bit rate video? And if so, is there a way to change that for increased quality?

Also does this method put more focus onto the CPU or GPU for video processing power? Playing a 19.5Mbps 17GB 1080p BD file I only seem to be using around 15-20% of my CPU at any given time.

Still haven't figured out how to speed up the opening of video files, been playing around a bit with madVR but no luck :C
Dec 14, 2012 10:18 PM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
Wait, so does this process down scale higher bit rate video? And if so, is there a way to change that for increased quality?

This guide does not downscale anything, the fact you're using madVR already proves your video is at max quality.

Also does this method put more focus onto the CPU or GPU for video processing power? Playing a 19.5Mbps 17GB 1080p BD file I only seem to be using around 15-20% of my CPU at any given time.

madVR is GPU oriented, it makes the whole video process through GPU shaders, giving less process for the CPU to deal with.

Still haven't figured out how to speed up the opening of video files, been playing around a bit with madVR but no luck :C

Could you try to open then while using EVR-CP, I want to make sure it's madVR doing and not MPC-HC for example.
Dec 14, 2012 10:19 PM

Jun 2009
EVR-CP? Where/how would I set that?
Dec 14, 2012 10:26 PM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:

Open MPC-HC Options menu, Under "Output", instead of madVR select "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)". And block madVR in External Filters to make sure it's EVR-CP that will be used. Just undo these steps to use madVR again.
Dec 14, 2012 10:29 PM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

Open MPC-HC Options menu, Under "Output", instead of madVR select "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)". And block madVR in External Filters to make sure it's EVR-CP that will be used. Just undo these steps to use madVR again.

Tried this and still same results when opening files, it hangs for a good 5 seconds or more then finally loads up.
Dec 14, 2012 10:37 PM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
Tried this and still same results when opening files, it hangs for a good 5 seconds or more then finally loads up.

Now we can assume it's not a madVR problem, and not a decoder either. It must be MPC-HC or Haali/LAV Splitter. Since you already removed ReClock that is one less too.

You're using MPC-HC or MPC-BE/JanWillem32 build?
Dec 14, 2012 10:39 PM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

Now we can assume it's not a madVR problem, and not a decoder either. It must be MPC-HC or Haali/LAV Splitter. Since you already removed ReClock that is one less too.

I actually fiddled a bit more with reclock before giving up on it and the audio works now with no stutter or delay.

I'm using the x86 (32-bit) version of MPC-HC as per the download link in your description.
Dec 14, 2012 10:50 PM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
I'm using the x86 (32-bit) version of MPC-HC as per the download link in your description.

I don't want to sound pessimist, but I'm running out of options... Could you try to use MPC-BE and MPC-HC stable instead of the current one? If it's the same in both players, then means it's not a MPC issue either. Which leaves Haali and LAV Splitter.
Dec 14, 2012 10:53 PM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

I don't want to sound pessimist, but I'm running out of options... Could you try to use MPC-BE and MPC-HC stable instead of the current one? If it's the same in both players, then means it's not a MPC issue either. Which leaves Haali and LAV Splitter.

Will tinker with it tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help though :)
Dec 14, 2012 10:57 PM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
Will tinker with it tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help though :)

No worries, it's my guide, so it's my problem too. Just edit your post when you do the test, I'll be checking periodically here.
Dec 15, 2012 2:20 AM

Oct 2012
Niyawa said:
so unless you make a genuine attempt to explain why you believe something will not work, I don't know how I can believe you, since it works here.
Before I had LAV version 0.51.3, which couldn't override Haali Media Splitter when it came to .m2ts files, so lossless audio formats broke, as well as possibly PGS subtitle streams and language tags, making switching subtitles a pain. The only way to prevent this before (aside from messing with codec paths) is to block Haali.

LAV 0.54.1 (or a version in between) apparently solved that problem, so it's no longer an issue.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 15, 2012 2:23 AM

Oct 2012
Jrittmayer said:
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

I actually fiddled a bit more with reclock before giving up on it and the audio works now with no stutter or delay.

My setup would hang for about 4 seconds too unless "Use GDI or PowerStrip for faster refresh rate detection" was checked in ReClock Video Settings. You might try that if you haven't already (or ignore me, whatever).
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 15, 2012 2:29 AM

Jan 2011
katsucats said:
LAV 0.54.1 (or a version in between) apparently solved that problem, so it's no longer an issue.

Corinthian was having the same problem, I better ask what LAV version he's using.

My setup would hang for about 4 seconds too unless "Use GDI or PowerStrip for faster refresh rate detection" was checked in ReClock Video Settings. You might try that if you haven't already (or ignore me, whatever).

Funny, just tested that and it really speeds up. I remember reading somewhere that it would make audio stutter instead. I better test some other settings too, thanks for the info. I'll add to the guide.
Dec 15, 2012 6:48 AM

Jun 2009
katsucats said:
Jrittmayer said:
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

THANKYOU

Just happened to check this thread and tried what you said before messing around with the player and it definitely did something! Most files open within 1 second or so now! Some still hang a bit but that issue is mainly with larger files.

I'm going to test it a bit more later but for now it seems that changing that has fixed 80% of the problem :D

If there are any other settings you find that could speed up video launch time that would be greatly appreciated as well :D
Dec 15, 2012 7:44 AM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
Most files open within 1 second or so now! Some still hang a bit but that issue is mainly with larger files.

I wonder why I didn't noticed that earlier when I checked it, I'm retarded. It's the same for me.

I'm going to test it a bit more later but for now it seems that changing that has fixed 80% of the problem :D

What are the 20% left? Oh yeah, you can update to madVR 0.85.3 now.
Dec 15, 2012 8:19 AM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:
Most files open within 1 second or so now! Some still hang a bit but that issue is mainly with larger files.

I wonder why I didn't noticed that earlier when I checked it, I'm retarded. It's the same for me.

What are the 20% left? Oh yeah, you can update to madVR 0.85.3 now.

The files that are several Gb large, they used to open almost as fast as smaller files when I used CCCP+Shark 007 Codecs but they didn't seem to get much sped up from changing the option. Still hang for 4-6 seconds :/ hmmmm...

Still, this setup is much better now that its fixed :D
Dec 15, 2012 8:35 AM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
The files that are several Gb large, they used to open almost as fast as smaller files when I used CCCP+Shark 007 Codecs but they didn't seem to get much sped up from changing the option. Still hang for 4-6 seconds :/ hmmmm...

CCCP dithers everything, so it's much faster to open and decode files (too bad it's outdated and come with shitty options). Also, using 2 codec packs at the same time is not a good idea Jritt. madVR uses P010 for output (the best high quality out there for 10-bit) and that takes time. If you try with EVR-CP again I believe the time will go down to 2-3 seconds at least.

That's just my assumption though. You seem to have hardware of quality, so I can only give suggestions to such extent.
Dec 15, 2012 8:39 AM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

CCCP dithers everything, so it's much faster to open and decode files (too bad it's outdated and come with shitty options). Also, using 2 codec packs at the same time is not a good idea Jritt. madVR uses P010 for output (the best high quality out there for 10-bit) and that takes time. If you try with EVR-CP again I believe the time will go down to 2-3 seconds at least.

That's just my assumption though. You seem to have hardware of quality, so I can only give suggestions to such extent.

I suspect it might have something to do with playing files off of secondary HDD's. My OS boots off an SSD but the majority of my files are located on 3 seperate HDD's.

I'll play around with it somemore and report my findings ;)
Dec 15, 2012 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
Jrittmayer said:
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

I suspect it might have something to do with playing files off of secondary HDD's. My OS boots off an SSD but the majority of my files are located on 3 seperate HDD's.

This might be a shot in the dark, but are you using external drives, and are they the power saving 5700rpm "green" drives or the normal 7200rpm? Some drives will automatically spin down quickly to save power and take a couple seconds to come back online.

Then again, I have a file server on a separate computer connected through the router, and it only takes me 1-2 seconds to open 45GB files (uncompressed blu-rays), so I don't think it merely being on separate HDDs mean anything.

Edit: Another shot in the dark, if you have anti-virus software like Norton running, try disabling them.
katsucatsDec 15, 2012 4:37 PM
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 15, 2012 6:07 PM

Jun 2009
katsucats said:
Jrittmayer said:
Niyawa said:
Jrittmayer said:

This might be a shot in the dark, but are you using external drives, and are they the power saving 5700rpm "green" drives or the normal 7200rpm? Some drives will automatically spin down quickly to save power and take a couple seconds to come back online.

Then again, I have a file server on a separate computer connected through the router, and it only takes me 1-2 seconds to open 45GB files (uncompressed blu-rays), so I don't think it merely being on separate HDDs mean anything.

Edit: Another shot in the dark, if you have anti-virus software like Norton running, try disabling them.

They're all internal 7200RPM SATA drives, two 1 TB and one 2 TB drive. Most of the anime runs off the 2 TB drive. I don't believe they're power saving type drives, since their access time is pretty good good.

I don't have any anti-virus running aside from Windows Defender. Not sure if WD causes problems?
Dec 16, 2012 4:26 AM

Jan 2011
Jrittmayer said:
They're all internal 7200RPM SATA drives, two 1 TB and one 2 TB drive. Most of the anime runs off the 2 TB drive. I don't believe they're power saving type drives, since their access time is pretty good good.

I don't have any anti-virus running aside from Windows Defender. Not sure if WD causes problems?

Sorry for delay, it's pretty much as katsu said and I don't believe Windows Defender does anything like that. I'm still waiting for my 5 day delay to post in the forums where madshi and nevcairiel are to ask them a couple of questions regarding the issue, sorry I'm not able to help too much.
Dec 16, 2012 4:33 AM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:

Kimura said:
I used a similar guide from Bishoujo Project and it works nicely. One notable difference between this one and that one is this guide has no mention of hardware acceleration within LAV Video Decoder. Just wondering what your thoughts on this are.

First, I don't recommend the use of Bishoujou Project guide. Not just because their guide sucks (don't let me get started with most issues), but because it recommends things that you will never need like madFlac and the useless CoreAVC. They also don't recommend the use of xy-VSFilter that is the best subtitle renderer to date (because of minor issues with Desktop resolution which only people who upscale can sometimes notice). Oh yeah, with this guide like Hakuro said, you won't need hardware acceleration or anything of sort. madVR is GPU oriented so it will use the potential of the CPU and GPU altogether.

Basically, they're trying to put in your throat everything that is out there either you'll need it or not. Completely pointless.

They don't actually recommend CoreAVC. They say to use LAV Filters unless you absolutely need/want to use CoreAVC. MadFLAC is not useless, it is very good at what it does. You're only saying it's useless because you personally have no use for it. I honestly don't see why you wouldn't use it anyway? What possible drawbacks are there to having MadFLAC handle FLAC? Answer: None.

As for the xy-vsfilter argument, to each their own. The default MPC-HC subtitle renderer is awful compared to JanWillem32's engine, that is what Bishoujo recommends. This is their exact comment on why they recommend not using xy-vsfilter:

The Bishoujo Project said:
Ever since a relatively-recent-but-I’m-too-lazy-to-look-up-exactly-which version of madVR… support for MPC-HC’s internal subtitle engine has been added. This means we don’t have to rely on something (very) shitty like directvodsub. Something unique about the internal subtitle engine is an architectural difference in that it imposes subtitles essentially after all other rendering work has been done. This was brought to light to me by a commenter “CV” and an encoder at Afternoon Naps Empire. This is good in theory, but not in practice because of some scaling issues that mess with typesetting, an issue with anamorphic video scaling because the internal subtitle engine imposes subtitles after the video is re-sized to display resolution, and some bugs with color-space conversion because SD content and HD content use two different color-matrices and if the subtitles are not rendered with the video then a slight difference can occur depending on how the subtitles were typesetted.

xy-vsfilter, a more recent fork of vsfilter, fixes most of these issues however it should be noted that because vsfilter applies subtitles before display resolution resizing occurs the subtitles will have a lower resolution to compared to the internal subtitle engine — this is why this guide has been updated to use JanWillem32′s builds of MPC-HC AND NOT XY-VSFILTER (I’m reiterating this here because people not familiar with the internal subtitle engine were misinterpreting this explanation as instructions to use xy-vsfilter. It’s only mentioned because I’m debunking the idea that it’s the best solution.) which fixes, in my opinion, the worst of these issues with the internal subtitle engine in default builds while retaining crisp high-resolution subtitles.

Source: http://www.bishoujoproject.com/mpc-hc-playback-guide/

Nonetheless, thank you for putting your time into making this guide. The more people we can get away from using CCCP, K-Lite and VLC, the better. Please look over all the comments in this thread, the bishoujo guide and the comments on that article to improve your guide. Yours and the bishoujo guides are the best I have seen so far. Consolidating all the information should make for one beastly end-all-be-all guide.
loghneckbeardDec 16, 2012 4:39 AM
Dec 16, 2012 9:50 AM

Jan 2011
Tyestor said:
They don't actually recommend CoreAVC. They say to use LAV Filters unless you absolutely need/want to use CoreAVC. MadFLAC is not useless, it is very good at what it does. You're only saying it's useless because you personally have no use for it. I honestly don't see why you wouldn't use it anyway? What possible drawbacks are there to having MadFLAC handle FLAC? Answer: None.

I don't necessarily want to argue about the use of madFlac, unless of course, you give me a solid reason to do so. What are it's vantages and disadvantages? Would it really be worth putting one more thing to download and deal with? Far as I know, the only thing it does better than LAV decoder is metadata handling (that's also something that was mentioned in Bishoujo guide and I confirmed after a search) and I don't see how that could be enough reason to recommend using it instead of LAV's one.

I admit the word "useless" is bit too far, but I don't see it as a "requirement" neither "necessity" when something else already included does a perfect job with it.

Tyestor said:
As for the xy-vsfilter argument, to each their own.

Exactly. Of course, I don't hate/dislike their guide for not recommending xy-VSFilter, but in my personal opinion and experience, performance issues as well the ones they mentioned, were only corrected by using xy-VSFilter itself, thus this is the one I recommend for safety of not only the guide user, but for future problems as well.

I really like JanWillem32's builds and I tested it myself, I can confirm that it's the best choice for those who want a decent subtitle renderer without the ugly upscaled subs of the xy-VSFilter version. This is also the reason it's in the guide as an alternative.

Tyestor said:
Nonetheless, thank you for putting your time into making this guide. The more people we can get away from using CCCP, K-Lite and VLC, the better. Please look over all the comments in this thread, the bishoujo guide and the comments on that article to improve your guide. Yours and the bishoujo guides are the best I have seen so far. Consolidating all the information should make for one beastly end-all-be-all guide.

No worries, I've been doing that all the time, the most recent update was thanks to katsu suggestion to Jritt in a ReClock's option that can speed up loading/seeking of video. I'll redo a reading on Bishoujo's guide for your sake and the guide's one as well. I can't refuse after that thanks, haha.
Dec 16, 2012 9:59 AM

Jun 2009
Niyawa said:

I don't necessarily want to argue about the use of madFlac, unless of course, you give me a solid reason to do so. What are it's vantages and disadvantages? Would it really be worth putting one more thing to download and deal with? Far as I know, the only thing it does better than LAV decoder is metadata handling (that's also something that was mentioned in Bishoujo guide and I confirmed after a search) and I don't see how that could be enough reason to recommend using it instead of LAV's one.

I admit the word "useless" is bit too far, but I don't see it as a "requirement" neither "necessity" when something else already included does a perfect job with it.

Well, the MadFLAC folder is literally less than 1mb in filesize and it takes 2 clicks to install it and not much extra work to get it working (stop flac from being decoded by LAV audio decoder, add it to the external filters list). Pretty much it. Although you may see it as not worth the effort for something as small as metadata support but I like to have the absolute best that I can get and so does Bishoujo (it's kind of their motto, lol). Maybe add it in as optional? (speaking of optional, why is Haali optional? The majority of anime nowadays is MKV. IIRC Lav Splitter doesn't support ordered chapters for MKV).

Niyawa said:
No worries, I've been doing that all the time, the most recent update was thanks to katsu suggestion to Jritt in a ReClock's option that can speed up loading/seeking of video. I'll redo a reading on Bishoujo's guide for your sake and the guide's one as well. I can't refuse after that thanks, haha.

I don't currently use ReClock in my setup, I think I might do some experimenting with it. Reason hasn't updated the main article since October but he still comments fairly regularly in the comment section. Thanks for your hard work ^^

EDIT: Having never used ReClock before, does it normally mute audio for a split second after unpausing? It's not much of a deal but it's going to get really annoying really fast.
loghneckbeardDec 16, 2012 10:37 AM
Dec 16, 2012 10:38 AM

Jan 2011
Tyestor said:
Well, the MadFLAC folder is literally less than 1mb in filesize and it takes 2 clicks to install it and not much extra work to get it working (stop flac from being decoded by LAV audio decoder, add it to the external filters list). Pretty much it. Although you may see it as not worth the effort for something as small as metadata support but I like to have the absolute best that I can get and so does Bishoujo (it's kind of their motto, lol). Maybe add it in as optional? (speaking of optional, why is Haali optional? The majority of anime nowadays is MKV. IIRC Lav Splitter doesn't support ordered chapters for MKV).

The Haali thing is a little mixed up. I actually put it as required through the whole guide, you can see that in the screenshot where you have to deselect Mastroska from LAV Splitter. The fact that I still put it up as "Optional" in the Download section is because the O.C compatibility and accurate seeking is not a "must have" (only a few fansubs use O.C and accurate seeking is not something that bothers anyone). I'll be putting as required again soon my version 4.x.x comes.

Haha, I can totally understand the "I like to have the absolute best that I can get". Hell, okay, I'll put it as Optional. But I'll do a retest first as well, to see if it's anything I should add/comment about it.

Tyestor said:
I don't currently use ReClock in my setup, I think I might do some experimenting with it. Reason hasn't updated the main article since October but he still comments fairly regularly in the comment section. Thanks for your hard work ^^

ReClock is basically useful to remove some of the jitter in 60hz screens with 23.976 content. Again, not a "must have" (the reason it's not as required) but very recommended. Thanks for your input too, It's always helpful to have new views in regarding the topic.

Tyestor said:
EDIT: Having never used ReClock before, does it normally mute audio for a split second after unpausing? It's not much of a deal but it's going to get really annoying really fast.

Yes. It's normal. Check the faq section under "Audio". The first question has the solution for you (probably).
NiyawaDec 16, 2012 11:10 AM
Dec 16, 2012 3:22 PM
Dec 2012
Niyawa said:
TheCorinthian said:

For CPU, any quad-core of at least 3 Ghz is a safe bet. My personal recommendation would be a Core i5 3570K that's around $200~220. Basically the same price of 2500K, that was considered the best for mid-ranges until some time ago.

As for GPU, you don't seem like the gamer type, so a GTX 650 that's around $100 will do. You can also get a 650 Ti which is about $40 more but with 50% more performance, it's your pick.

I'm going to do a bit shopping for my Christmas holiday and I wanted
to get your opinion on this list I've compiled for my future computer. Just
want to know if it will be good enough for MadVR watching high bitrate rips.

The only gaming I do on my computer include light games like Age of Empires and
emulators for King of fighters 2-D fighter games. I have an xbox for recent titles.
Again the most important thing to me are blu ray quality rips in 1080p without any
down scaling.

Intel Core i5 - 3.4 GHz
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB or maybe another graphics with SLI?
Motherboard: Was looking at an Asus without any onboard video graphics,
can't seem to find one without it on New Egg for less than $200
Dec 16, 2012 3:48 PM

Jan 2011
TheCorinthian said:
GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB or maybe another graphics with SLI?

SLI? I don't believe you need that for 1080p Blu-rays. Just the 650 Ti you're about to buy is already enough to play Ultra HD of lastest games with 36 fps. It will be like candy for what you need. For the games that you usually play will be more than enough too.

TheCorinthian said:
Was looking at an Asus without any onboard video graphics, can't seem to find one without it on New Egg for less than $200

This is another personal recommendation of mine, but an Asus P8H77-M PRO would be my pick, it's around $120. If you're willing to pay $200 for it though, then a P8Z77-V PRO would be the closest by price.

I'm impressed you can buy all of this though. Where I live would be a long dream.
Dec 16, 2012 6:13 PM
Dec 2012
Sorry for hijacking the thread so much but can you take a look at this motherboard?
It seems like it is similar to the one you linked me to without going over $200.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77
http://www.microcenter.com/product/393422/P8Z77-V_LK_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
Dec 16, 2012 6:22 PM

Jan 2011
TheCorinthian said:
Sorry for hijacking the thread so much but can you take a look at this motherboard? It seems like it is similar to the one you linked me to without going over $200.

It's basically a more simple version of the PRO. It's safe.
Dec 17, 2012 2:16 PM
Jul 2012
Works great! Just wondering, what should I set the madVR scaling algorithms to, with 4 GB of RAM, integrated Intel graphics, and dual core 2.50 GHz? Do they make any difference?
Dec 17, 2012 2:25 PM

Feb 2012
iShiney said:
Works great! Just wondering, what should I set the madVR scaling algorithms to, with 4 GB of RAM, integrated Intel graphics, and dual core 2.50 GHz? Do they make any difference?

There's no overwhelmingly strong consensus about what algorithm is the best, so when you have graphics as mediocre as an Intel IGP you should just throw the most intensive video possible at it and see if it drops any frames (Ctrl+J while watching a video will show you how many frames you've dropped). Just play around and find out what your setup is capable of without dropping any frames.

Also, you should turn off desktop composition in madVR. It does makes a [small] difference.
Dec 17, 2012 3:29 PM

Jan 2011
Hakuromatsu said:
iShiney said:

There's no overwhelmingly strong consensus about what algorithm is the best, so when you have graphics as mediocre as an Intel IGP you should just throw the most intensive video possible at it and see if it drops any frames (Ctrl+J while watching a video will show you how many frames you've dropped). Just play around and find out what your setup is capable of without dropping any frames.

Also, you should turn off desktop composition in madVR. It does makes a [small] difference.

Adding a little to what he said, since your setup is almost the same as mine, I'll give you my personal recommendation. Usually it will depend on your tastes but Lanczos with 3 taps and AR (anti-ringing) disabled for upscaling will make it look sharper and without lag (for most videos). If it does, set it to Bilinear and it will play flawlessly. For downscaling, Spline with 3 taps will make the best result with no lag and no exceptions (tested it here while using only 1.19 GHz of mine). For chroma upsampling, Bilinear is the choice. I've done some tests and there's basically some to no difference between using anything else aside that Bilinear is much more performance wise. Assuming you're using the latest madVR version, then it's already there by default too.

About the desktop composition thing, I don't recommend it. It makes Windows (7) more ugly and the amount of performance gained is not worth it. Unless you really want those 3-4% more of power.
Dec 17, 2012 5:11 PM

Jan 2011
Version 4.0.0 Released

This version contains the most change since the 2.0.0, I was basically working on it the whole week searching for new apps and new things to improve/add. I finally wrapped it up with some other suggestions and other (useful) parts of other popular guides. Now on to what matters.

Highlights

• New optional app and screenshots.
  • New requirements section to give some reference for the users.
  • Changed a lot of terms and did some rewording for better understanding.
  • Added more information to the FAQ.
  • Added some tips and useful things from external guides.

I still believe Bishoujo's project guide sucks to some extent. It could be the perfect one if it had more flexibility and was a little more organized. But Tyestor suggested that I gave it a quick read and I could find something that would be helpful, and indeed I did. Thus their guide is now linked here. The same applies to AVS Forum's guide, it's good, and I did some reading to look for more useful things to add. I'll be taking a look at other guides as well, so if anyone knows any MPC-HC guide out there, link it here with a post so I can evaluate it. It would help not only to solidify this guide information, but improve it as well. My thanks in advance. Now...

Enough about that. I believe I'll make it clear that I won't update the guide for 1 week at least. I need to catch up with my list (this is MAL after all). You can also expect some big improvements for version 5.x.x. That includes an image-based guide (for those who want portability) and more in-depth configuration of madVR and LAV Filters.
Pages (28) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's a hated game that you actually enjoyed?

SnipeStrike - Apr 13

19 by pludel2 »»
1 hour ago

» What videogame consoles do you own?

SnipeStrike - 3 hours ago

3 by pludel2 »»
1 hour ago

» Sega's Golden Axe video games series gets a cartoon adaptation

tchitchouan - 9 hours ago

1 by Adnash »»
4 hours ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

32 by BitChilly »»
4 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3713 by NubFix »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.